2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Ratings: 4,340 | Reviews: 1,412 | Show All Ratings:
arc3636

Kansas

3.86/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours pale gold with white head. It's fairly cloudy and produces lots of bubbles. Smell is very citrusy, grapefruit and orange stand out. The spice notes come through more in the taste. It's also fairly sweet. Haven't had one in a long time, but this will be my go to wheat beer now.

04-20-2014 02:04:32 | More by arc3636
Retroman40

Kentucky

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass well chilled.

A - Very hazy amber-orange color with a fleeting head that gives way to decent lacing.

S - Fruity with hints of spices.

T - Spices dominate with coriander the main taste.

M - A bit on the thin side but ok, decent carbonation level helps.

O - I won't turn one down but this is way over-hyped. There is a lot better at the same price point.

03-12-2014 00:37:25 | More by Retroman40
1fortheroad

South Carolina

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

For the pleasure this beer has given me over the years i have to say this is one of those that i always go back for over and over again. My first serving of this beer was back in 2006, we've been friends ever since. Its not my favorite though, i am a stout drinker but in the social setting i turn to this white ale. Its not too heavy but its full of flavor and perfect with a complimentary garnishing of orange slice.

03-06-2014 13:42:34 | More by 1fortheroad
HoppyBastard

Nebraska

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass.

APPEARANCE: cloudy, orange hue with initial one finger head that dissipated quickly, there was small amount of lacing on the glass, medium carbonation.

SMELL: sweet orange citrus, flowery, bread, coriander, not overpowering.

TASTE: sweet citrus, spice and bread, not overpowering, hops are not prominent in this beer, very drinkable.

PALATE: creamy with medium carbonation.

OVERALL: Blue Moon is the beer that got me interested in domestic craft beer and all the other Belgian beer styles that I love. I consider this the best Belgian White on the market. I know this is made by Miller-Coors but I don't care. Good beer is where you find it. This is the only mass produced beer I buy on a regular basis.

02-28-2014 02:06:33 | More by HoppyBastard
archyquaffer

Montana

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Served from a 12 ounce stubby into a big pilsner glass. No fruit. I went with an aggressive pour which produced a good 2 inches of billowy head. This almost completely disappears after about 5 minutes but does leave some long lasting lace on the top and sides. A good swirl revives it pretty well. The beer is almost a lemon yellow and very hazy.

I get some pretty decent malty-citrusy and spicy aromas and flavors, including the usual lemon, orange, coriander and possibly some slight pepper tones. The texture is fairly creamy.

This is actually pretty tasty and easy drinking beer. I had one of these the other day which seemed much inferior to this one- flat and maybe even adjuncty tasting. But this one has most of the qualities one might expect for the style.

02-23-2014 01:40:19 | More by archyquaffer
johnchen1229

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Pours a dark yellow, pretty much urine-like yellow. Nice bubbly lace.

S: A hint of floweriness and citrus. No alcohol notes.

T: Excellent! Refreshing, no alcohol or bitterness whatsoever. A crisp sweet undertone with lots of malty grainy goodness. Ends with notes of cereal.

M: Carbonated, but not overly so. Dissipates into easily drinkable mouthful.

Overall: This is one of my favorites at this price point! This is something I would buy a 6-pack of just to enjoy over time.

02-14-2014 06:25:21 | More by johnchen1229
Warmonster

Missouri

3.79/5  rDev +11.5%

Not a fan of wheat beers but this has to be one of the best tasting wheat beers I've had.. and I'm also familiar with this type of wheat brew with the fruit addition and this is one of the best if not the best I've had.. Again I'm not that into wheat beers so I'm sure there are many more.. but for what it is it's pretty good beer.. TBH to me it barely even tasted like beer.. more like some fruit drink beer... It's def. worth a try..

02-09-2014 20:11:46 | More by Warmonster
spokes100

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- soft yellow, short head.

Aroma- wheat and orange.

Taste- wheat and orange, nice from start to finish with crisp aftertaste.

Bottom Line- A reasonable beer by itself or with a meal. Don't know why I haven't reviewed this beer before, I drink it all the time.

01-31-2014 01:00:55 | More by spokes100
mando_thegreat

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I think blue moon is an amazing beer. I really enjoy drinking it. the taste is perfect, appearance is wonderful, and the price is reasonable for what it is. I would have to say this is prob one of my favorite beers. I still have yet to try the other blue moon flavors, so i wont jump the gun just yet. I can tell they will be good as well. i would recommend this beer to everyone

01-25-2014 04:09:45 | More by mando_thegreat
GeorgeMenton722

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%

When it comes to commercial and widely available wheat beers, Blue Moon is the best overall. Although I have had much better winterbiers, Blue Moon is the best that you can find at any convenience store in America.

Apperance: Unfiltered, light orange. it's cloudiness may be unappealing to some that are used to seeing filtered beer, but it does improve its texture.

Smell: A typical "what comes to mind when you thing of light beer" smell, made a bit more complex by a hint of citrus.

Taste: A strong intital wheat flavor with hints of orange. In my opinion, this beer is too sweet. The hops flavor is dulled by an orange sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Definetely the best part of this beer.

01-18-2014 23:32:47 | More by GeorgeMenton722
snowman4440

3.84/5  rDev +12.9%

Very drinkable with a sweet taste at the end. Did not have the orange slice with but understand why people would like that. Would really recommend this beer its very tasty and light , don't be afraid of the Blue Moon! The sweet taste is very refreshing I really was surprised at the color and non filtering of this beer it was very enjoyable! I just wondering if filtering the water would change the taste at all I know it would not change the color or appearance. Ill have to ask Keith Villa when I meet him he did a great job on this brew!

01-14-2014 20:03:07 | More by snowman4440
AaronTheBearded

Kansas

3.61/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I'll be honest. Before I tried Blue Moon, I hated beer. This was the beer that got me started with beer. This is what you might call the gatekeeper of craft beer. The pearly gates that lead from desolation and adjunct grains into a safe haven of pure malts, barley, and good times.

Okay, it's obviously not THAT good. But that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

A - You gotta pour this one just right for it to look awesome. Otherwise, you end up with hardly any head. But when you get lucky, it looks pretty great. Nice, hazy yellow body, decent carbonation, smooth, one-finger white head.

S - It's okay. You can definitely tell that this is a Belgian White with the immediate presence of wheat and the background of coriander and citrus. But it's almost like it has just the slightest background of corn. I'm skeptical about it.

T - You certainly shouldn't expect this to be the best Belgian White on the market. It has the characteristics that qualify it as one, but for the most part, you get a lot of plain wheat. Follows the nose.

M - Crisp, clean, refreshing, and still full-bodied like a proper ale should be. Carbonation keeps things interesting.

O - I like this beer. I get a sixer every now and then. It's simple, down-to-earth, and opens the average beer drinker up to a vast array of opportunities and potential. I know it did that for me.

01-11-2014 08:21:53 | More by AaronTheBearded
Mike_Moe

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Cloudy light orangey/brown color.
Aroma: Just a little malt, a little orange and coriander.
Flavor: Orange and coriander. Medium bodied, somewhat harsh finish.
Overall: When describing the Witbier style, this beer, with its popularity, is somewhat considered the standard to be compared to. There are, however , better Belgian White Ales than this brew

01-03-2014 06:04:42 | More by Mike_Moe
Hops4Pops

4.13/5  rDev +21.5%

12 oz bottle
A: Side pour into a tulip. Very little head (1/2 finger), quickly receding. What is there is eggshell white. Very little oily lacing. Light orange color. With light shining through it is golden-orange. Cloudy. Fair amount of yeast sediment. I made sure to get all of it into the beer in the tulip.
S: Orange, corriander, wheat, bread, slight hops and maybe even some pepper.
T: Citrusy, orange, spice, bit of twang true to style, nice dry finish with bitterness.
M: Light and creamy, crisp with carbonation, refreshing, a bit thin.
O: Not bad at all. Actually pretty darn good. A bit surprised this is coming out of Coors. It's good enough to become a go to beer for parties or when I can only get something at a gas station. This is a good gateway beer to introduce to those new to craft brew.

12-28-2013 00:48:07 | More by Hops4Pops
RingoBro

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager pint glass.

A - Cloudy, pale orange color. Not much head which dissipates quickly. Pretty much no lacing throughout this beer.

S - Can smell orange and wheat, but in kind of a bland, generic way.

T - Orange and coriander with a mild, wheat aftertaste

M - High carbonation. A bit water down and light which you would expect from a mass produced, made for the masses "craft brew."

Overall, I like this beer. It was one of the first beers that I branched into from the generic stuff that's drank at college parties. After I found out this beer was made by Coors, and since I've got into the artful craft of beer brewing/tasting, I noticed how generic and bland this beer is. It's a nice stepping stone beer if those who are drinking the cheap, mass-produced beer made from the Big 3. It's cheap, has way more flavor than Coors, Shock Top, etc... I'd buy this beer again if I was going to a party, but not for myself.

12-23-2013 17:28:10 | More by RingoBro
ThePaintedGrey

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz. brown bottle poured into a pint glass. - Editing after yet another session with this beer.

A: Traditionally pale and cloudy, orange in color. The head is short-lived and eventually dissipates to a small bleach white cap. A little swirl before sipping, however, will generate a little bit of a bubbly, smooth head. The color isn't what I expect from the style, but it's by no means ugly. I just wish there was some semblance of lacing down the glass...

S: Gentle, clean citrus scents hit the nose immediately. Coriander and wheat are quite detectable, but act as more of an undertone that compliments the citrus well. It's what you expect from a witbier, but it all just seems so... artificial almost.

T: Orange peel and coriander are extremely apparent upon first sip. Smooth, crisp wheat flavors follow as the beer makes its way down. Aftertaste is mild, but reveals some strange boozy flavors. Taste remains fairly consistent throughout. Not complex or rich like better Wits, but still acceptable in its own right.

M: Straight from the bottle, the carbonation on this one can be kind of overbearing. Quite bubbly, and very soda-like. Not as much of an issue when poured into a glass. An overall average body. Goes down fairly easy. Blue Moon on tap tends to be a little less overbearing in terms of carbonation. That's how I prefer it.

O: Blue Moon is the beer that got me into the craft world, so it still holds a special place in my heart and, admittedly, I still get slightly defensive when people bash it. While I admit that Blue Moon is a sub-par brew, it's leagues ahead of all the other mass-produced swill sold by the Big Three. Blue Moon remains my session beer at parties and social gatherings when it's too expensive to supply craft, and not acceptable to bring beer just for myself.

12-16-2013 19:16:33 | More by ThePaintedGrey
Captain_Komamura

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - a cloudy orange/yellow color, with a bubbly head that disappears fast.

Smell - It is of the spices and the oranges, with the wheat as more of a background.

Taste - The wheat is the main flavor, with the oranges and spices lightly over it.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied and good carbonation.

Overall - A decent Belgian beer, could have had more spices and oranges to it.

11-30-2013 04:05:27 | More by Captain_Komamura
IndianaAggie

Indiana

4.26/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Love this beer, currently my favorite. Has a great taste and after taste. Sitting down with a 6 pack of Blue Moon on a saturday/sunday evening is a great way to end the day and start a new week. Just downed a few while watching Monday night football.

11-12-2013 05:47:09 | More by IndianaAggie
jjamadorphd

4.34/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Blue Moon's Belgian White is very, very good. I wasn't impressed at first with it's appearance out of the bottle - cloudy Belgian Whites normally do that to me. However, from that point forward I was happy with the experience. A very appealing wheat smell was followed up with a bold and refreshing tang to the taste buds. I have to say it's probably my favorite Blue Moon to date.

10-18-2013 01:57:35 | More by jjamadorphd
Mongrel

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a hazy orange-gold with a finger of fizzy head that quickly subsides to just a film. Slight whiff of wheat/straw on the nose. Taste is bright, with plenty of orange peel and a little vanilla and Belgian spice. Taste is short-lived though; thin and one dimensional. I remember this being a pretty refreshing beer on tap, but there's a slick artificial sweetness this time that's kinda ruining things. Decent beer at best - works ok in the summertime in lieu of anything else.

10-11-2013 00:13:13 | More by Mongrel
mfnmbvp

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle, with best by date of September 30, 2013 printed on the bottleneck. Ahh yes, Blue Moon Belgian White, the flagship beer of the Blue Moon brand. Although it is of course not an actual craft beer, this was one of the gateway beers that led me to where I am today, and for that I am thankful.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours one finger of off-white fizzy suds that disappears almost instantly. Body color is a bright golden orange. I should have just shoved an orange wedge into the bottle and be done with it. Looks pretty flat and unappealing.

S - Some bubblegum malts, light grain, wheat, and oranges. Smell is pretty bland and nonexistent.

T - Taste follows the nose: grains, wheat, lemongrass, some bubblegum flavor, light cloves, and orange juice. It doesn't really need an orange wedge in there, but it's all I keep thinking about so it won't look so terrible. Taste reminds me of a creamy Chobani yogurt with fruit on the bottom in a way.

M - Feel is crisp, carbonated, grainy, and somewhat juicy with some orange flavoring on the palate. A fitting end.

Overall, it isn't the foulest beer put out by some of the big boys, and it's certainly better than Shock Top Belgian White, so that's a plus. An easy-drinking, "safe" faux-craft offering for those willing to move a bit beyond the realm of Miller Lite and Coors Light. Unless you're ordering this at a dive bar, there really isn't much need for this, but if you're reading this you probably already knew that.

Blue Moon Belgian White ---3/5.

09-27-2013 20:51:39 | More by mfnmbvp
mikethebeerguy

3.06/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

This beer may be spiced and all that jazz... too much hype for this craft brew. It's very flavorful but not in a great way. On top of that it's expensive. It's really not that good to the point where I would not recommend it. I certainly see no resemblance to wheat beer which is funny because it says on the bottle that it's unfiltered and Belgian style. Save yourself the trouble and get leff or hoegaarden.

09-11-2013 03:28:54 | More by mikethebeerguy
Redog

3.79/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The Belgian White is the only Blue Moon that I know. It's one of my favorite beers because of it's distinctive character. When I have a taste for it there's no brew I know that's as satisfying. But it's not a beer that I want to drink everyday–too much character. Possibly I'm overrating it because of limited experience with other brews of this type. On the other hand, I've rated it low enough so that I have plenty of room to rate something else much higher, if and when . . . .

09-10-2013 02:55:43 | More by Redog
joeseppy

3.64/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy golden honey yellow pour with a huge white frothy head.

Wonderful citrus smell with orange leading the way. A yeasty sweetness rising.

Citrusy yeast flavor with subtle hints of orange spice.

Thicker body than most in style and a touch sweet. Graham cracker in the nose with orange on the palate.

I've had this off and on for the past few years. Excellent for the price and adding the orange does accentuate the experience. Can never really have more than a few at one time-kinda like Leiny's Summer Shandy or any other sweetened brew. Wife really enjoys it, so it is in the house since Stella Artois went awry. And lets face it-chicks dig it!

09-06-2013 00:15:22 | More by joeseppy
Beerwolf666

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Seems like a Lot of people really enjoy Slagging this Beer,and call it a very poor example of a Belgian white/Witbier ~and while I will totally Agree there are much better Belgian Witbiers made here in America,[Flying Dog Breweries "Woody Creek" Being one of the Best IMHO] blue Moon's Belgian White [Coors] still is a Very Nice Witbier for the money,[About 14 bucks a 12ver] I Really like the fact that I can afford to drink a Decent Belgian White beer all summer long without going Broke,Because this style of beer is pretty much my Favorite in the sweltering Hot dog days of summer,when I do have the Money,I Usually spring for Flying Dog's Exellent "Woody Creek"[a Stellar Witbier] With Sam Adams "Summer Ale" being my second choice,but during the work week,I pretty much stock the fridge with Blue Moon's Belgian White.When Poured into a regular Pint Glass,it looks very Inviting,a bit cloudy and Hazy like most wheat beers,I usually get about an Inch of a foamy,Fluffy white head,with some very nice evervesent Carbonation~
Smell~Nice & Pleasent,very wheaty with a hint of Orange in the Background,and a bit Peppery.the Tatse pretty much follows the nose in this case,Wheaty with a nice Orange zest,very Crisp and clean,super refreshing,the low end ABV & IBU's make this a Gr8 Session brew for those lazy hot,Humid days.
This Beer goes ok with Bugers,Dogs,some BBQ'd & Grilled Fare,as long as it is not very spicy or Tangy,not a gr8 Pizza or Wings beer,more of a Pre~Meal beer,a gr8 "Apertif" 4sure,a few of these before the Grub shows up is always Nice;)Cheers & Peace2All.

09-03-2013 18:06:30 | More by Beerwolf666