Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,139 | Reviews: 1,654
4.16/5  rDev +22.4%

This beer pours cloudy without a lot of head retention. It smells very nicely when you drink it, the smell complements the flavor. Taste is very nice and sweet, but lacks some complexity. Mouthfeel is light but very fulfilling. I could drink one after the other. Very nice and sweet when you feel like having a sweet beer.

3.52/5  rDev +3.5%

I know, I know...it's a coors product. But the beer is pretty good. Are there better wits? Of course, but on a hot day this beer holds up well. Fruity and wheaty with no hops really detected. Sweet and slightly malty, with the only bad part, over carbonated. That being said, it looks pretty average is thin in the body, but so are most wits and it is extremely tasty and drinkable.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

I first had this Beer on tap at one of those restaraunts that requires the wait staff to wear pieces of "flare" and later bought a six pack to try it again. The appearance is cloudy gold with a white head that is completely gone is short order. It smells, as expected, of citrus zest and wheat. The taste is sweet citrus and subdued wheat with no hoppiness to speak of. It is thin in body, but finishes crisp and refreshing. I think this beer catches a lot of negativity because it is a Coors product. However, I found it to be very drinkable and it serves it's purpose for what it is - A clean quenching Summer Beer.

2.54/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured to a nice golden color, hazy as expected. Unfortunately, the faomy white head dissipated alomost immediately. This was very light, with a hint of fruit, but no aroma that I could detect. My wife would probably enjoy this, especially ion a warm summer night, but I want more beer taste.

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

I had this beer at a local restaurant (because there was nothing else). I was pleased with my choice. It was served very cold the waitress said 36F. It poured and looked like what I would expect from a wheat beer. Cloudy and a pale golden color. The scent was that of citrus and hops nothing that just blew my world. The small off white head ( about 1/2") was completely gone in less than 10 seconds. The taste was consistant with the style I felt that the strong citrus taste on the first sip was a bit much but it was more subdued on the following sips. The mouthfeel it was a very watery but smooth not bad but nothing special. I would drink this beer again. It went very well with the pasta I had last night and I think it would be very good on a hot summer day.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Had this on tap aftet drinking many bottles of this stuff.

This beer came with an orange slice which I quickly removed from the rim of the glass.
A hazy lighter amber body sits under a light and small white head.
Smell is not much besides slight citrus and wheat beer smell.
Taste is rather smooth with a crisp citrus to it.
Mouthfeel is pretty smooth though nothing great.
Drinkingability is very good.

This is a good fallback beer and cheaper than most wheat beers. Go for this one if only BMC is available and you'll be happy.

2.7/5  rDev -20.6%

The best before date on this one is Oct 06. Looked just like another pale wheat beer. It has a bland wheat flavour without being creamy, and a putrid yeast taste. Slightly dryer than the average wheat beer. The mouthfeel was alright. In general, the quality of this beer is not up to the average Belgian wheat beer.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

This is a relevantly easy to find OK beer when choices are limited. Not at all bad for drinking while BBQing during summer. The smell is indistinct. It pours a golden wheat color.

Finnish taste is definitely that of a wheat beer. This would not be my top pick in a good pub, but it is not a bad back pocket beer when the picks are limited.

2.81/5  rDev -17.4%

Looks like you're pouring straw into the glass. Didn't notice much of a scent on this one. There was a wheaty flavor and slight fruitiness, but nothing distinguishable. Fairly light in the mouthfeel department. Pretty drinkable for its lightness, but not a beer I'll be ordering again unless all the other choices are worse.

2.81/5  rDev -17.4%

This is a questionable beer, I understand how it can be a crossover beer for some, but outside of that, I don't think it's as good as most other brews. Pours out to a cloudy yellow gold color with a large head of white foam that remained consistant. Aroma of wet cardboard and hints of citrus and wheat. Taste is acceptable, yet devoid of any truely enjoyable quality; mild maltiness and grain, mixed with artificial citrus flavors make for a fairly interesting experience, yet not an overly joyful affair. Mouthfeel is slightly bubbly, but ultimately average. Drinkablilty is fair. I don't think i'll be back for more

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

A - Deep yellow, with an orangish glow. Small head, with small traces of lacing.

S - Smell is of candied malt, and citrus.

T - Taste is at first overwhelmed at first by a citrusy wave, smoothes out to a slight tangy/bitter aftertaste. All while maintaining it's crispness.

M - Carbonated, and light on the palate.

D - Drinkability is decent, as on a hot day, you could have a few of these.

Not a great example of the style. But, not a bad beer in it's own right. Good thirst quencher and quite smooth. Average all around, and the best Coors brewing has to offer.

1.14/5  rDev -66.5%

Can't remember the details since this was not memorable in a favorable way. What does stick in my head was that it smelled like cheap perfume, and tasted like I would imagine cheap perfume would taste. I do recall that I could not / would not finish the one bottle I tried, something that I have never had the displeasure of experiencing with any other beer. The remainder of the six pack my sister purchased is still in my parents' fridge, and there it will remain until they pour it out on the parched turf here in GA, where there is a watering restriction. I figure the grass will drink anything about now.

2.18/5  rDev -35.9%

Had this beer on tap, poured into standard pint glass. The beer is a cloudy light yellow. The head is white, but fades fast and leaves no sign of lace. Thin mouthfeel. Fruity but bland, slight pineapple, orange, lemon flavors, no hop presence, no malt presence. From what I have gathered this beer is made by Coors and marketed as a microbrew, but has a lot to be desired, not worth another pint.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Cloudy pineapple juice yellow, with pale orange hues. The head dissipated so fast I couldn't see it's color, I'll assume it was white.

Smell: This beer smells like peach. If I try hard I can smell some faint grains.

Taste: Notes of apricot and peach, , citrus, tart and dryness towards the middle and finish. Mild hoppy residue left on the palate, a little herbal and spicy. Couldn't get any malty flavors.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and semi carbonated, slips down your throat, cleans the mouth and leaves a little bit of flavor.

Drinkability: Interesting brew, not horrible, not what I expected. It almost seems like an apricot ale attempt. Not very spicy or herbal or wheaty. I can see this being good with some fruit cocktails or something light.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Had on-tap at Miller's Ale House in Orlando. Unfiltered cloudy orange colored with citrus peel, slight coriander and yeast in the nose. Taste is smooth and come across very sweet. Citrus peel and coriander dominate the taste but I can not get past the sweetness of this brew. Overall not a very good representation of a belgian witbier.

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Blue Moon pours a orange-yellow color with a white head. Slightly hazy. The head fades rather quickly to a thin ring.

Aroma is citrusy, orange and lemon. Taste is slightly tart. Not extraordinary, not bad.

Mouthfeel is nice and full. Drinkability is serviceable. I could have a couple of these without trouble. This is a beer I generally buy due to its popularity with my friends - they love that I'll buy their favorite beer for them. What they may not realize is that it is lower cost than my favorite. ;-)

2.71/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a bright, cloudy orange. Lots of carbonation, but a very small head which quickly fades into nothing. It looks more like an orange soda than a beer. Hope it doesn't contaminate my Hoegaarden glass.

At least it smells better than it looks. Tarty citrus lemon and orange.

Very light flavor. A little tangy fruit taste, some wheat, and that's about it. It's not bad, just weak.

Light-bodied, with a lot of carbonation.

Light and refreshing, but then, so is Corona. I could session this one if I had to, but there's much better choices out there, especially for witbiers. After I finish the 6-pack, I doubt I'll ever buy this one again.

3.37/5  rDev -0.9%

I picked up a six-pack of Blue Moon at a grocery store for my daughter’s graduation party. I have reviewed this beer before on tap, so I thought I’d try it in a bottle. I poured this beer in to a pint glass.

Pours a straw yellow color and is cloudy (unfiltered). A bubbly two-finger white head is gone quickly and produces no lacing.

The smell is fairly strong, sweet and fruity with citrus aromas, lemon and orange, and some melon scents like honeydew or cantaloupe.

The taste is sweet and fruity, with a bit of a cracker taste to it, and a mild hop finish. The flavors are very well balanced.

Mouth feel is smooth, crisp and refreshing

This is a very drinkable beer, fairly light and smooth, with a crisp thirst quenching character about it. I would certainly drink Blue Moon again, although I don’t know that I would search for it.

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

A: The beer pours a very cloudy gold, with a slowly dying head. It isn't really a cloud flowing through beer, it is more of a solid yellow haze. It has very little lace to be found. If you hold a bottle of blue moon up to the light it will glow, very cool.

S: It smells like sweet bread dough.There are also hints of banana. The smell is rounded out with some sweet spice aromas.

T: It is very heavy on the wheat taste. It has some citrus highlights, maybe some banana, cloves, etc. Where is the orange peel burn, or the coriander? Kind of reminds of not just a Pale Wheat, but even a Hefe. Oh well, it finishes suprisingly smooth with a hint of spice and a sweet sour citrus taste. It could be more complex and avoid the sour off taste at the end. The sour taste kills it for me.

M: The mouthfeel is thick. It's very fitting for the look of the beer.

D: It is quite drinkable, but the unfiltered wheat holds it back.

Perfect for a hot summer night, just like tonight.

3.81/5  rDev +12.1%

This tasting of the 3.2% version that is sold in Oklahoma convenience stores. (I haven't seen this beer for sale in Oklahoma liquor stores)

Citric zingness matched with corriander and maybe cloves sprinkled over a nice wheat malt foundation. Not much hops to speak of.

Pretty golden-yellowish color with a hazy appearance in the glass (reminds of Live Oak Heffeweizen). More golden than Celis Belgian White.

A good choice if it's after 9 p.m. and the liquor store has already closed, especially if you want a change of pace from Shiner and Choc beer.

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy yellow/golden color. Wispy head that doesn't stick around.

The aroma of the beer is almost non-existant. What is there consists of a very light lemony citrus smell with light spice.

The taste is decent, a typical belgian white, spicy, wheaty flavor, that is very subtle. Even more subtle is the citrus flavor. The carbonation is low, and the beer goes down smooth.

The beer is easily drinkable, probably it's best asset. There are lots of alternatives that I would choose over this, but you do get some bang for your buck with blue moon, as it's usually pretty cheap.

2.38/5  rDev -30%

Poured a very light cloudy copper with an average head and carbonation. Not exactly "white" but OK nonetheless. Nose was strong spice, somewhat medicinal, and yeasty. There was also an unpleasantness lurking, almost like you would taste in infected homebrew. Not offensive exactly, but not pleasant. Almost like bretannomyces. Tasted about like it smelled, with the oddness even more prominent. Maybe it was just too much coriander? The aftertaste was even worse. Mouthfeel was average and the drinkability was slightly below average due to what was already described.

Not sure what to make of this one. It was probably over 10 years since I last had it in a bottle, but I remember I did like it though it was not a favorite. I also had some on tap in the last 6 months and thought it was pretty good. Bad bottle? Taste buds just not in synch with this beer tonight? Will have to re-review it later on to see what's up.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

Orangey yellow, and cloudy (real yeast in macro beer!) with a thin, creamy, quickly disipating head that leaves a white scum coating the surface. Smells much like a true witbier, but I detect a sourish off note in the background, hmm. Taste is solid, full, definitely wheat. Not excessively sweet as some wheat beers. There are detectable, husky pale barley malt notes behind the wheat. The finish does taste somewhat macro-lager-like. Mind you, this is a Coors product. The carbonation is a bit high but still good overall. Mouthfeel is noticably light for a wheat beer. Drinkability is where this beer shines, considering it's a coors product, it's macro, and it's low price point. This is the best beer for non craft-beer drinkers to be drinking, and I can down two of these in the time it takes me to get through a bud, miller, etc. It's no competition against good craft beer, but it's head and tails above other american macrobrews. I tend to think there is hope for people who I see drinking this. Not as complex as SA White, but this will do from time to time (albeit infrequently) whenever my stock of it runs out, until next season.

2.89/5  rDev -15%

Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a single finger head that melts quickly to moderate lacing.
Aroma is sort of strange....wet fabric<?>...maybe wheat with soap<?>
Taste is distinctively American wheat...very slightly sweet...then grainy and peppery on the swallow...slight banana aftertaste
Mouthfeel is thick with carbonation and comfortable.
<shrug>
Decent...forgettable for a wheat...but drinkable.
I do have trouble getting past the pecular smell, however, and am trying to not sniff with each sip I take. This one would be much improved drinking straight from the bottle

2.64/5  rDev -22.4%

I've had this before a while ago but I didn't remember anything about it. I tried it again last night. The first thing I noticed about this beer was the smell. It wasn't skunky, but it was not a pleasant smell whatsoever. Maybe I'm just weird. It tasted okay. It was a bit cirtusy in that orange-like sense, but not in a great way. Kind of like Flinstone Kids vitamins. I did finish okay, so that's a plus. I don't think I'd get this again, unless my only option was like Beast or something. But I gotta give Coors props for trying though.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company