1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Ratings: 4,334 | Reviews: 1,410 | Show All Ratings:
turbotype

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I want to type up so much about this beer, but I probably shouldn't. I will say that it was my gateway beer. It introduced me to the fact there is so much more to beer than Bud or Miller. For a mass produced wheat, Blue Moon has a lot going on. It looks murky and scary, but tastes terrific for a big brewer beer. Strong orange and grapefruit notes. Smooth and fizzy like I think a wheat beer should be. Drink this one with a burger and fries and just relax... A mass produced domestic that is as good as Blue Moon is rather hard to find, imo.

On March 28 2014, I added the following.

Lately, I have been drinking Imperial Stouts and DIPAs. Today I stopped and got a burger for lunch, and decided to wash it down with an ol' Blue Moon. Boy was it bland. Not knocking the beer, just was a noteworthy experience. I've essentially ruined my palate due to the high abv DIPAs and Stouts to the point where one of my favorite standbys are no longer enjoyable. Sad day.

03-28-2014 16:09:27 | More by turbotype
Kris450

Iowa

3.71/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This was the first beer I drank consistently. A great starter beer! The Belgian style is light enough to make it drinkable, yet it became too sweet for me as I began to experiment and enjoy IPAs and stouts. The orange and citrus finish really makes this a beer to remember and I recommend it to those who have not yet found that "perfect beer" yet!

03-21-2014 00:31:30 | More by Kris450
Franziskaner

Missouri

2.78/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Very hazy golden hued with orange tint. A minuscule bit of white foam covers most of the top. Strong aroma of orange along with pale wheat and a bit of coriander. The taste is a burst of orange with pale wheat playing second fiddle. The coriander is coming up in the fade. The body is a bit thin. The orange flavor overpowers.

03-18-2014 18:12:35 | More by Franziskaner
StevORugby

Maryland

4.14/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

this beer is not my fav. i will drink when its presented to me for enjoyment but not my first or second choice when given other reasonable options. the blue moon is generally served with an orange and i prefer to drink without the garnish. the fruit adds fruity tones to the palate but it lacks the hoppy notes i tend to prefer in a beer. nothing bad about this beer though.

03-13-2014 19:31:56 | More by StevORugby
Zepaw

4.83/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer by a large margin. I'm no deep beer aficionado so I can't pick it apart piece by piece but simply put it is a genuinely delicious beer that fits almost any occasion. I highly recommend tossing in an orange slice with it as well, it noticeably improves an already good flavor.

03-13-2014 19:11:42 | More by Zepaw
Chakri

Vermont

3.71/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is my first Belgian... fell in love on the first sip at the Hooters. Always beware of this beer not tasting great on tap if its old stock - meaning not a moving product in a not so famous spot. Don't ever buy the bottle... its a good-on-tap kind.

03-09-2014 19:13:11 | More by Chakri
BrewThru_29

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Pretty much the go-to when there's no craft drafts.

Looks great.

Smells Iike oranges.

Tastes like yeasty oranges.

Pretty smooth mouth feel.

Very drinkable. Not something I go out of my way for but a solid choice when there's nothing good available.

03-08-2014 20:01:42 | More by BrewThru_29
mterrence5

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

I get this beer a lot now. Typically out served in a glass. It a pale orange/copper color with a good amount of carbonation. Very cloudy (sometimes it looks like someone spit in my beer and maybe they have)

Smooth, Crisp with a sweet citrus/orange taste (no I don't have it with an orange on the side). Little bit of spice.

Its light considering alcohol content is descent. Good beer for dinner a chain restaurants.

01-03-2014 19:18:15 | More by mterrence5
Roguer

Connecticut

3.01/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Yes, unbelievably, I'd never had a Blue Moon.

Nice appearance: thin (1/2 finger) white head with decent retention and OK lacing. Brew is a cloudy orange, very nice.

Slightly tangy aroma, heavy wheat, and some Belgian yeast. Fairly middle of the road.

Sadly, the flavor is the biggest letdown here: it tastes like carbonated bananas. There's very little citrus at all (I did not have an orange slice added), and the spices seem to get lost in the wheat malts. As a witbier, I didn't like it at all; as a beer, period, I can think of mass produced lagers I'd rather have.

Decent carbonation, nicely thick for the style - medium overall feel.

I don't know if my expectations were too high or too low, but I just did not like this beer's flavor. Witbiers aren't my favorite style, but I do like them; this beer in particular just didn't work for me. Still, it's ubiquitous and inexpensive, so you should still give it a try.

12-05-2013 21:52:28 | More by Roguer
NoBeerSnob

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had my first Blue Moon while enjoying a meal of blue crabs and shrimp. It came in a chilled glass, with the requisite orange slice. It was the perfect accompaniment to the old bay seasoned shellfish. I’ve been keeping some chilled in the fridge ever since.

10-31-2013 11:34:38 | More by NoBeerSnob
Brew_42

2.84/5  rDev -16.5%

As far as beers that are available at almost any bar you go to, Blue Moon is probably at the top of the list. It isn't as good as most craft beers, but if you are at a bar that has a very limited selection, chances are that Blue Moon is on tap and it is much better than the alternatives.

Appearance-Oranges and hazy. I have always thought BLue Moon looks great for some reason. The orange is almost luminescent, like butter beer in the Harry Potter movies.

S-Citrusy

T-Mostly citrus with a hint ofspices

MF-Crisp and refreshing

Not the best beer but the best of the standard beers that are on tap everywhere.

07-18-2013 08:24:53 | More by Brew_42
CadensDad

4.23/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer has a nice golden color to it and the overall mouthful and taste is very nice. This is my go to beer. Very good session beer and throw a slice of orange in and you have an ultimate summer beer. I have a half of this in my kegerator right now. Enjoy!

07-03-2013 03:11:03 | More by CadensDad
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Hazy and iridescent yellow the head was stiff and solid.

The aroma has some orange, tangerine, coriander and lemon; there's a tinge of malt. The scent is quite nice.

The taste is a bit watered down but the aromas come through on the palate. Orange and tangerine set to the front while coriander and light malt finishes. Very refreshing and tasty this Witbier stands strong for an American macro brew.

04-14-2013 01:49:57 | More by KYGunner
mmbeer

Alberta (Canada)

2.91/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Serving type: pint (proper wit style glass)
Serving type: much too warm, probably closer to 12 degrees Celsius
Feb 19, 2013

A: opaque, with an orange straw colour, about a finger of head that dissipated within five minutes leaving random lacing.

S: fairly true to style with light citrus, wheat, yeast and some light coriander.

T: citrus (primarily orange), a little banana, wheat, and yeast both very prominent.

M: this is where I take issue to this beer, it felt much to heavy and buttery(?) to me, the alcohol and acidity didn't cause this beer to become any crisper and it just felt tired and sluggish. Granted this may well be due to my pint coming from an older keg.

O: this is not a beer that I would seek out again, but if put in front of me properly chilled I would have no problem drinking it again.

02-20-2013 01:58:19 | More by mmbeer
dhannes

Wisconsin

4.23/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap in a chilled pint glass at the Rainforest Cafe in Woodfield Mall.

A=Nice rich, golden color with a slight white head. Appealing cloudiness present as well.

S=Citrusy...lemons and oranges.

T=I have had this in 10+ years, but recalled not carrying for it at the time. This time, I enjoyed the sweet fruity backbone, and the belgian yeast. Wheat was not overpowering.

M=Excellent...medium light body with lower than average moderation...very drinkable and would make an excellent lawnmower beer.

0=I would definitely order a tap of this at a bar in the summer, but not enough to spring for a 6-pack.

01-22-2013 04:05:13 | More by dhannes
smokinyodas

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served cold Blue Moon Belgian White in a glass with an orange slice at my favorite local mom & pop pizza restaurant. Hard to tell under florescent lighting, but I would say it looks cloudy with a pale gold color and a white lace. Definable characteristics would be a smooth wheat rich thickness, with a kick of coriander spices and plenty of citrus. I’ll be honest in that I enjoyed the orange slice more, mostly because I find the soapy taste of coriander over powering. If you like citrus wheat beers this would be a good one to try at least once.

01-06-2013 20:31:21 | More by smokinyodas
lphil2222

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%

I like this beer for when I want something that has a light body and mouthfeel. You can smell the citrus and spices when you pour it into a glass. It's a good beer to drink when at a bar and eating bar food.

There are a few problems with it though. First, the mouthfeel is a little watery with a tad much of carbonation. Second, the aroma fades fairly fast after the pour. Third, this beer tastes its best when poured into a chilled glass which is not always available.

Overall a good beer when you just want to sit back and chill for a while.

01-02-2013 03:36:09 | More by lphil2222
LeeroyJenkins

2.7/5  rDev -20.6%

A - Medium amber, medium/ thin white head with little lacing

S - Very fruity for a wit... Peaches, apricots? And citrus as well (even before I put an orange in it)

T - Mild fruit flavors, citrus, malty, also very, very sweet.

M - Seemingly loaded with sugar to the point of significantly increasing viscosity. This beer is pretty thick.

O - A good go-to beer if your high school buddies are back in town and you want to kill a few pints and catch a stiff buzz. Not something I would sit down and savor. As with all beer from colorado, if it warms up on you, dump it and pour another as its true flavors will become prominent. Sticking some fruit in your pint will save this crappy Belgian knockoff as well.

12-22-2012 04:56:30 | More by LeeroyJenkins
DragonsSlippers

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy, pale golden color. White, quickly diminishing head with very little lacing.

Sent: Wheat with floral notes and a hint of citrus.

Taste: Notes of wheat and orange peel, sweet yet tart.

Mouth feel: Light and refreshing, medium carbonation.

Overall Impression: It was very good while it was cold. Once it started warming, I did not enjoy it as much.

11-15-2012 05:17:06 | More by DragonsSlippers
GarthDanielson

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured on-tap and served in a tumbler pint, the beer is a hazy, opaque, orange-yellow coloring with a fluffy, light, bright white head. Aromas of citrus and bready yeast, light and balanced, but nothing special sticking out to me. Flavors are bready, with a clove spicing and citrus highlight. Well blended, but the carbonation and spicing makes it slightly sharp in mouth. Fruity, effervescent aftertaste that is bordering on overly sweet. Frothy, carbonated finish. The flavors just don't hold up enough against the light, carbonated body. Meh.

10-13-2012 21:42:06 | More by GarthDanielson
DewTheBrew

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Serving type- On tap into a draft glass with a slice of orange

Appearance- An opaque orange color with a light white head. Probably about 1-finger thick, sudsy head.

The smell is unique. A distinct aroma that you can easily say, "Hey, that's Blue Moon"

The taste is also pretty unique. Complimented by the orange slice, Blue moon goes down very smooth. Light carbonation and the smooth orange taste make the consistency that of a thick juice rather than a beer. At first I was not a big fan of the taste and mouth-feel, but it has definitely started to grow on me. LEAGUES better on-tap than out of a bottle. I think that's why my decision has changed. Light, distinct aftertaste.

Solid beer that I find myself in the mood for from time-to-time. I love hitting up the local bar for dollar blue moons. GREAT deal!

09-25-2012 13:12:42 | More by DewTheBrew
tectactoe

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%

On tap at many different restaurants, often served with a slice of orange. The beer holds a thick looking, opaque golden-orange which actually looks quite nice, with not much head to speak of. It appears to have a solid body at first glance and looks like a very inviting witbier. Orange is the most prominent smell, backed up by a nice wheat and faint spice combination. It was hard to pick out any other fruits on the nose. The taste is pleasant - good amount of orange zest, citrus, mild spice, and lots of wheat. The body is a little to thick to be called thin, but not quite a "medium" body. The carbonation is nice and compliments the beer well.

For a mass-produced beer, Blue Moon is a solid choice. Although it's far from complex or breathtaking, it's a solid witbier when you're at a restaurant that doesn't have any regular craft beer choices.

09-25-2012 11:53:20 | More by tectactoe
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at a chain restaurant tonight.
Pours a cloudy deep straw color with a smallish white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of spice, sweet malts, a bit of orange and a little wheat tang. The flavor is mild with sweet malts offset with a bit of orange, lemon, and spice. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet slick mouthfeel. Not much of a wit beer, but certainly easy enough to drink if not just a tad on the boring side.

09-09-2012 00:48:04 | More by johnnnniee
ummswimmin

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

I figured, what the hell, why not order this beer when I came into the bar tonight. After my order I saw the craft options hiding at the end of the bar. This should make me appreciate the high quality wits available.

The beer was a darker shade of yellow than you would expect for this beer. There was a ton of head, which doesn't affect my grading... but it was more than I expected.

The smell is like a stock pale ale. I get the grain, but none of the sour presence. There is no yeastiness. It just tasted like a watered down pale ale... without any decent presence of hops.

It wasn't great, and it wasn't bad. This is a good alternative to water, but not to far better beers.

08-16-2012 01:51:49 | More by ummswimmin
TheRealBigC

Nevada

3.93/5  rDev +15.6%

I think some beer snobs are quick to dismiss Blue Moon because it's a mass market, Coors brew. However, on tap I find it to be a flavorful beer that stands out in the witbier crowd. That extra orange flavor is really great and is definitely aided by adding some fresh squeezed orange. It works in the winter as well as the summer. Out of the bottle I'm less than impressed for some reason or another. The spices get in the way of the smoothness.

07-28-2012 20:31:50 | More by TheRealBigC