2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Ratings: 4,345 | Reviews: 1,413 | Show All Ratings:
Cavanaghty

Maine

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

Got on tap in a pint and served with a slice of orange.

Appearance: Cloudy Orange color with what I would decribe as a white pulp(even though it is not a pulp). Head was good about two fingers and went away quickly, did not note any lacing on the glass, there was not much room left at the top if the pint for the head of the beer.

Smell: Light smell of wheat and hops. Not overpowering at all.

Mouthfell/Taste: Suprising well balanced and medium bodied based on the appearance of the beer. Good wheat flavors with of course citrus from the orange slice.

Overall: A rather enjoyable beer, I can see why I have so many friends that call this beer their favorite.

07-22-2012 23:24:14 | More by Cavanaghty
Mikala

Tennessee

4.68/5  rDev +37.6%

So far, my favorite beer. The color is a cloudy orange and you can see some white in it. The head is beautiful and dissipates in just the right amount of time. The smell is very light and the aroma isn't overwhelming with alcohol. You can smell a bit of the citrus. Orange slice isn't required, but definitely addes to the taste. You can squeeze it or just let it drop in a gradually absorb itself in the beer. The taste was very light on my tongue. Very smooth going into my mouth and the citrus hint comes out. I didn't have to force it down like with some beers. It glides down. Overall a great beer with great taste. If you're more of a social drinker and like wines or mixed drinks, this is definitely a beer you should try.

07-16-2012 20:41:58 | More by Mikala
aranheaney

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Had on tap at stillwater inn in beautiful downtown Belfast, NY served in a Blue Moon pint glass and garnished with an orange slice:

A-Hazy, orange, decent head

S-Typical Wit, orange, coriander

T-Decent, not bad for a BMC product

M-Crisp, yet thickish

O-not bad on a 90 degree day in the dirty AC (Allegany County)

07-06-2012 20:02:30 | More by aranheaney
bshotbox

Wisconsin

solid, all day go to beer, very flavorful, good aroma and texture. this beer appears a shade of hazy orange. not sure that it is exactly to style guidelines but is great just as it is. I like this beer best on tap, as I do most beers, but no need for the orange slice, it just gets in the way of emptying the glass and it already has good citrus notes from the orange peel

05-31-2012 20:02:02 | More by bshotbox
vonnegut21

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a cloudy orange-gold, with two fingers of white head. Smell is very sweet, with orange, coriander and hints of other fruits. Taste matches the smell, lots of sweetness, orange and coriander. The finish is extremely sweet, with mild bitterness. Overall a pretty decent witbier. If it wasn't made by coors it probably be rated much more highly.

05-19-2012 01:06:04 | More by vonnegut21
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

pours thick and cloudy dull yellow into a hefe glass with an orange peel on the side, medium white head. smells like fruity yeast, some spice, and pale malts. the yeast aroma is overpowering and a bit off though. flavor is quite fruity and zesty from the yeast. lemons, orange peel, and some herbs are there, also some mild tartness at the end. feel is fine, if a little heavy from all the suspended sediment in there. good carbonation and a medium body. overall this beer isnt as good as it used to be. its kind of weighted down and funky in the wrong ways. has refreshing properties, but there are infinitely better choices.

05-14-2012 19:11:44 | More by StonedTrippin
Airedoggie

Wisconsin

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a turbid golden/orange color with a medium head that dissipates quickly with the obligatory orange slice. I generally do not seek out the orange but really don't mind this fresh enhancement when offered with the tap version.

The scent is fruit and a yeastiness. Nicely aromatic with a hint of mustiness. Nice flavor of orange fruit, honey and coriander with a slight maltiness at the end. Does not really compare to a Belgian witbier but it has a surprisingly pleasant and well-balanced taste of it's own. The mouthfeel is smooth and light with the right amount of carbonation.

I like this beer on tap if it's available although the bottled version is good too. Although I much prefer true Belgian wheats like Hoegarten or Blanche de Bruxelles, this is a great domestic offering. Very drinkable and one of the very few decent beers offered from the Big 3.

04-13-2012 16:19:58 | More by Airedoggie
EricL

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Enjoyed on tap.

Appearance: Very orangey with about a one-and-a-half finger off-white head that leaves fairly quickly. Nice lacing initially, but weakens as the head fades.

Smell: Sweet, citrusy. Mostly orange with a hint of lemon.

Taste: Very sweet, a bit overwhelming if you aren't expecting it. Drank the first half before squeezing and dropping my orange slice into the beer for experimentation purposes. It definitely augments the orange flavor, but the taste of the beer still shines through. I would recommend using the orange slice if you are really feeling like a fruity drink.

Mouthfeel: Quite smooth that, in my opinion, coats the mouth quite heavily. The aftertaste lingers on your tongue, leaving you wanting just one more sip.

Overall: A quality beer for the price. If I review the beer menu at a bar/pub and I don't see anything that jumps off the page, Blue Moon is my go-to beer. Nothing that will absolutely awe you, but a solid beer nonetheless.

03-07-2012 07:51:19 | More by EricL
JohnnyMc

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

The perfect beer in the summer. Not only is there the nice fresh, citrus taste, but it is also refreshing. Of course you MUST have an orange peel with this or you're missing out.

The orange brings out the flavor even more. Not the best beer in the world, but a very pleasant beer for the summer.

02-16-2012 00:26:47 | More by JohnnyMc
ckollias

Maryland

Enjoyed this beer on tap at Brio Tuscan Grille in Annapolis, MD out of a pint glass.

A: Pours a very hazy orange hue with a 2-finger, white head that quickly dissipates into a wispy lace.

S: Strong citrus aroma with hints of pine and coriander.

T: Sweet brew with a dominate orange flavor. The sweetness is balanced slightly by the wheat and hops.

M: Medium body and carbonation.

O: I’ve had this beer a ton but never reviewed it until now. I’ve always like how easy it went down and the light citrus flavor.

02-15-2012 03:38:32 | More by ckollias
JerseyKirk

4.38/5  rDev +28.8%

A: poured 3 finger white head. Unfiltered straw to orange color.

S: citrus, orange, cream, malt.

T: delicious balance of creamy heavy mouthfeel wheat, corriander, orange and deliciousness. Easy to chug. Not drink. Chug. I know that's not the goal of this beer but it goes down too easy.

M: full and thick. Really exceptional.

O: Awesome, delicious, easy to drink. Only gripe reduce the amount of orange flavor a bit and price. Since this is a Coors product they should price it accordingly. Otherwise perfect.

01-29-2012 20:50:59 | More by JerseyKirk
Flatlands

Missouri

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is better on tap but I like that it is in cans. It's a solid go -to brew for friends who drink more Bud Light then anything.
A-If you compare to a light beer, it looks much more interesting. No real lacing or head but it looks dense compared to Bud.
S-Wheat and Orange
T/M - Just like it smells, again, this is a starter beer to get someone to go to other styles or as a solid beer that most bars stock. Hard to believe this is a Coors product. I enjoy the wheat and orange taste, great for a hot day or BBQ.
O - Catch it on sale and keep it around when you need a good drinkable beer. Cans are great for the pool.

BTW - this one makes a great beer can chicken!

01-28-2012 19:00:26 | More by Flatlands
zakyj

Hawaii

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

A - Hazy gold, some orange hints.

S - Citrus. a good amount of citrus at that, mixed with some floral hint.

T - once again, citrus. the nose does not lie.

M - Light. it is lacking a little on body but for the price and how readily available Coors did a good job over all .

O - Bravo Zulu to the macro. A beer that isnt a wallet emptier and can be enjoyed is sometimes a hard find here in hawaii.

12-23-2011 08:08:06 | More by zakyj
shealoftus14

4.03/5  rDev +18.5%

Usually my number one choice when I'm at a bar and it's on tap. Have always enjoyed its sweetness effect and enjoyed the smooth taste as well. Some people may say they can't drink a number of these in one sitting but I disagree. May be more expensive than other beers but worth the extra dollar in my eyes. No aftertaste to it makes it one of my favorite choices.

12-12-2011 16:13:10 | More by shealoftus14
cmq103

Poured from a freshly tapped 1/6th keg from the basement bar dual-tap kegerator into a Newcastle Brown Ale Schooner glass, with Stouts Fat Dog Stout on the other side.

Appearance: A nice 1/2" frothy off-white head diminished to a thing ring. Pours a nice, murky golden orange color. Lacing is decent as my glass emptied.

Smell: Coriander and citrus dominate the nose with spiciness in the finish. A decent smelling beer for a

Taste: Wheat, malt, sweet orange and coriander definitely dominate the flavor. Maybe a hint of peppery spice. Mildly sweet with a bit of soapiness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, easy drinking beer with a moderate amount of flavor. Medium carbonation with a fuller body.

Overall: I've had many better Witbiers but this one isn't that bad. I would buy it again, as it is one of my wife's favorites, especially on tap. My first choice will always be Allagash. Now that's an outstanding Witbier in my opinion!! Blue Moon will be the only Coors product that will hit my lips. It's time to switch over to Fat Dog Stout now...

12-02-2011 01:57:13 | More by cmq103
Seanont

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +24.1%

This was the beer that made me a Wheat beer fan

A great safe beer choice at most restaurant chains that don't serve micro beers on tap.

I find it sweeter then most Whites and always enjoyable to drink.

Poors cloudy like a good wheat beer should so I assume it's unfiltered

Coors has kept their branding off trying to suggest it's a micro beer and has done a pretty good job at keeping the quality good for a massed produce beer..

11-25-2011 19:47:43 | More by Seanont
dunit697

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A good economic beer. Thus far is my favorite domestic beer (US) that I have tried. I found it similar to belgium beers I have tried such as chimay or duvel. Those of course were much higher quality, but this beer does have that belgium ale feel to it which is a great buy for an economic beer. I recommend this beer.

11-09-2011 03:07:40 | More by dunit697
MsRif

1.73/5  rDev -49.1%

I've had this on-tap and bottled many times. Pours a hazy yellow with a medium white head. Of course, you must have that orange wedge! No lacing to speak of. Smells of citrus (probably from the orange) and light spices. Some wheat. Tastes like it smells. It's watery...with the high carbonation it almost tastes like seltzer water with alcohol added.

Light bodied and overall, watery. Drinkable because it is so crisp. It has gotten worse lately...used to be better, though still not great. Drinkable, but I wouldn't imbibe in it simply because my taste buds and liver would like to spend their efforts elsewhere.

10-30-2011 22:03:50 | More by MsRif
gtermi

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I bought this beer at a local taco shop. I wouldnt have bought this if it wasnt 1.25 on draft. Anyways the appearance is a little above average with its golden color and thick head.

The smell has a lot of wheat and malt scents.

The taste is better than the average BMC beer, with actual flavors. It has a decent amout of biscuit and malt taste.

The mouthfeel is just like your average beer. Has a decent amout of carbonation and crispness.

Overall this is an average beer. There is nothing that sticks out to me that I truly enjoyed of the beer. It wasnt bad, but not great either.

10-11-2011 07:48:34 | More by gtermi
Fulky

2.68/5  rDev -21.2%

Served on tap in 10 oz scooner with an orange slice.

Appearance is good for the style, has a fairly commendable head with nice retention.

Smells promising. Has a spicy, complex leafy scent with a hint of chocolate and citrus.

If you add an excessive amount of citrus (especially orange or lemon), this is very do-able. it's not my favorite by any means, but then again I'm not much into the Belgians anyhow. I had to drink it a few times to really understand the flavor, but the more I tried it (and the more citrus I squeezed and dropped) the better it was. Still not fantastic, but not awful as originally thought.

The mouthfeel is average, not nearly as overbearing as the flavor. It has what appears to be excessive carbonation, but I think this is accented by the salty flavor.

As I said... i thought I wouldn't give it another chance, but I did and it was worth it. For me, it was all about having the right amount of citrus... as well as patience... It's something that grows on you.

10-03-2011 03:00:35 | More by Fulky
vfgccp

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Rated without an orange in the glass

A – Deep orange apricot. Pours a foamy, pure white head with great retention and nice lace.

S – Sweet orange marmalade, lemon zest, and a nice bready wheat. Touch of gingerbread cookie.

T – Biscuity malt throught. The center is loaded with orange and a honey-like sweetness. The sweetness is a little too much, but it manages to pull up just shy of syrupy. Light orange pith bitter on the backend.

M – Super smooth, almost silky. Shade under carbonated.

O – Could use a bit more brightness up front (although I guess that’s why they drop a citrus slice in the glass… still would have liked to have seen it in the beer and not in the adjunct), and balanced a shade too sweet. Overall though, I have to say that it was better than I expected when I sat down to rate the glass.

09-29-2011 02:38:39 | More by vfgccp
charlzm

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%

Consumed September 18, 2011 at Barney's Beanery, Pasadena, CA.

Beer is a cloudy yellow with a head that sprung up two fingers high with a medium pour from the pitcher.

Aroma is marked by a vague yeasty, wheaty smell and sweet oranges. Oranges?

Flavor is bland, bordering on insipid. There is a thin orange flavor, a touch of underbaked bread yeast and a slight metallic twang from the wheat and nothing else at all.

Mouthfeel is unremarkable.

This is a dumbed-down version of a witbier (really? A witbier?) that makes me think of the flavor of a filtered American pale wheat ale with orange syrup added. Awful.

09-18-2011 23:12:33 | More by charlzm
musicman575

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

A lot of hype about this beer in the non-craft beer drinking community. Every time I mention that I like microbrews and craft beer to one of these people, they almost always respond with "What's that one stuff I had with an orange that one time? Oh yea, I love Blue Moon, that's my favorite microbrew."

Anyway, the stuff looks good from the start. Nice and cloudy pale yellow with a decent frothy head that hangs around. The smell wasn't bad, but I do not like the smell of imitation apricot extract. Imitation or not, that's how it smells. On top of that, there was a mild spiciness. There is a lot of cracker in the taste, definitely not a smooth, balanced crackery taste either. I can see why people drink it with orange, like with so many American wheat beers, it's to get that taste out of the mouth! Hops didn't make an appearance.

09-13-2011 17:02:24 | More by musicman575
elNopalero

2.42/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured on draft in a shaker pint. (Hey, it was that or a Bud Light.)
Poured a golden, orange color. Hazy, no foam. Pours syrupy, thick. Aroma is off-putting, a hint of metal? Taste is off -putting as well and there’s a dull finish. The carbonation is present but it’s fizzy, overly-carbonated like an orange soda. I’m thinking Orange Crush without the carbonation and the sweetness dialed down a bit. The beer gave me a headache by the time I finished it. Really, it’s a mockery of the style, and with better options available there’s absolutely no reason why anyone should drink it. The sacrifices I have made!

09-12-2011 23:34:14 | More by elNopalero
K9AleingPiss

Oklahoma

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Honestly wasnt sure what I was gonna get when I ordered this beer. Heard the name so I thought to try it. The appearance was shocking,looked like dirty soapy water,but thats good for this kind of beer?. I smelled orange,because thats what was served with it,and continued to influence the beer when I flicked it off the glass. The taste was fruity sweetness,but flat too,even though it seemed to have a descent bubbly top. I felt like I was drinking a cocktail more than a beer. Overall not a bad experience and was worth trying so I know to avoid again in future.

08-21-2011 14:19:35 | More by K9AleingPiss