Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
kojevergas

2.55/5  rDev -25%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a two finger head of slight cream, decent thickness, and alright retention. Colour is a cloudy dark orange. Not real appealing, truth be told.

Sm: Aroma is light in strength. Dirty orange esters dominate. No cream is present.

T: Dirty orange and stale-ish barley are all that come through. Simply badly built (especially for the style) and rather imbalanced. I wish there was more to it.

Mf: Smooth and wet. It helps to get the beer down easily, which I suppose caters to their demographic. Doesn't really complement the flavour.

Dr: Drinkable enough. It's better on draught, but not by much. It's sad that a beer requires an orange to taste better. The price is crap on draught for the quality, but a bit better from the bottle. Only recommended for extremist fanatics of the style.

09-04-2011 05:25:17 | More by kojevergas
BucannonXC5

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass. Color was hazy golden. About ¾ inches of head on initial pour. Nice lacing on the top, minimal film on sides.

Wheaty smell, maybe a bit of grass. Faint sniff of lemon.

Good combination of flavors, beginning with wheat, followed by a lemon/orange/orange peel mix, ending with some spices. I want to say a cinnamon stick, but it may be something else.

Light-to-medium body. Average-to-lively carbonation. The taste got a bit old after awhile, leaving a thick, syrup aftertaste. Also seemed to get flat fairly quick.

I’ve had this plenty of times, but this was my first time rating it. I had nothing bad to say about it for the first half, but the last half was quite disappointing. Much better than the Summer Honey Wheat, though.

09-02-2011 06:20:04 | More by BucannonXC5
tdm168

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a pale orangeish yellow with 1/4" of head that fades quickly. Smells yeasty with just a hint of citrus and spice. Taste is light wheat, yeast, mild spice, and a hint of orange. Light, smooth, and well carbonated; easy drinking.

Overall, it's a weak translation of a Belgian classic. For a Coors brand its really good, but for a witbier it leaves a lot to be desired.

08-27-2011 21:02:55 | More by tdm168
Billcr222

Missouri

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

I've had this beer many times and I've finally given up on it. It often needs fruit to enhance it and I never liked that, anyways here's the score. A: average orangish light brown S: has a good citrus smell strong but not overpowering M: light beer mouthfeel nothing too much mainly watered down T: the taste is very fruity, especially if you take it with the fruit on the rim. A little over the top with the fruity flowery taste. O: a lot of ado about nothing, watery poorly flavored brew. Much prefer their their Honeymoon brew.

08-26-2011 02:08:12 | More by Billcr222
kylehay2004

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

A: murky and orange. Quarter finger head.

S: wheat and citrus. Spicey notes

T: wheat. Lemon, orange peel. Nice spice combination.

M: light body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: I know its a macro brew beer but it is very good. Incredibly drinkable crisp and refreshing.

08-26-2011 01:57:55 | More by kylehay2004
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy orange colour that has tinges of yellow throughout & forms a bubbly white head that fades after 30sec.

Balanced mix of wheat & orange along with some good citrus notes that compliment the aroma well. There is also some milder coriander notes and a little spiciness too. Could have been stronger though.

Orange, wheat & citrus matches nose & there is also some coriander & a general spiciness. Orange flavour is slightly too strong though.

Medium body & a slight spicy tang to the drink. It is creamy, smooth & easy to drink without really blowing me away.

A pretty solid, good beer & one that I'll go back too at some point in the future no doubt.

Featured in the 1001 Beers Blog:

08-24-2011 00:55:01 | More by flyingpig
Chiefy770

2.35/5  rDev -30.9%

A: Foggy gold, almost a weird shade of orange if you hold the glass up to the light.

S: The smell was OK. It was not offensive and had a bit of a sweet smell to it.

T: I did not really care for the taste of this beer. There are spices (mainly coriander) and orange zest which give it a unique flavor. I would consider this beer to be a seasonal blend rather than a year-round beer. By seasonal I mean it is best to drink this in colder weather.

M: It feels okay in the mouth but it certainly sticks with you as it leaves an aftertaste that can be quite unpleasant depending on what you eat or drink after the beer.

Overall I found this beer to be over-hyped. There are many people out there that swear by this brand and that is respectable. It is not awful but it is not for me. Like I said this is fine if it is a seasonal brew... the taste and feel is a bit too heavy for warm weather.

08-21-2011 18:16:22 | More by Chiefy770
K9AleingPiss

Oklahoma

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Honestly wasnt sure what I was gonna get when I ordered this beer. Heard the name so I thought to try it. The appearance was shocking,looked like dirty soapy water,but thats good for this kind of beer?. I smelled orange,because thats what was served with it,and continued to influence the beer when I flicked it off the glass. The taste was fruity sweetness,but flat too,even though it seemed to have a descent bubbly top. I felt like I was drinking a cocktail more than a beer. Overall not a bad experience and was worth trying so I know to avoid again in future.

08-21-2011 14:19:35 | More by K9AleingPiss
rcfunk

4.45/5  rDev +30.9%

I have on good authority that Pierre Celis would agree with me when I say Blue Moon is a better example of a Belgian Wit than Hoegaarden.

I can't say anything bad about this beer. It is really up front about what it is: a spiced wheat beer with Belgian yeast.

Blue Moon is strong flavored yet thirst quenching. Right On!

08-19-2011 16:30:55 | More by rcfunk
2xHops

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

This is one of the first beers I tasted years ago, if not the very first one, and I saved this for the last review of the three beers from their sampler pack.

This beer has a good appearance. It is cloudy with ample of frothy head while looking like there were some orange colored food coloring dropped in it.

The taste is refreshing when it's ice cold (which may be a bad sign) but while it warms up, the blandness comes through. I can taste the citrus notes along with the copious amount of wheat coming though.

The mouthfeel for this beer is bordering between thick and syrupy. I'm a bit undecided if that's good or not.

Overall, I think it's not something I would drink on a regular basis on a hot summer day. I think there's other witbier beers that has better balance. Having said that, I think this is decidedly better better than Pale Moon and Honey Wheat beers.

08-15-2011 11:25:02 | More by 2xHops
NotMyRealName

1.78/5  rDev -47.6%

Belgian beer is my favorite type of beer, so I thought I would give this a try. The taste didn't remind me at all of any of the qualities I normally like in Belgian beer. It instead has that generic taste of a corporate macro beer. It's possible that this beer might be tolerable in a shandy, but it's just a little bit too bland for me to enjoy on its own.

08-11-2011 23:47:18 | More by NotMyRealName
ranger7

3.93/5  rDev +15.6%

On-tap at Dave & Buster's in a 22oz glass, served with an orange slice.

A - Hazy orange in color, definitely a wheat beer. Looks very refreshing.

S - Very nice. It smells of orange and citrus, and wheat of course.

T - Good and refreshing, like the smell. Light, but flavorful. The taste definitely changes after squeezing the orange slice and dropping it in (much more orange, sweet).

M - Smooth. Some carbonation which quickly fades. Not much of an aftertaste.

Summary - Very refreshing. I don't have it often, but when I do I enjoy it. I find Coors to be pretty blah, but Blue Moon's Belgian White is one of my favorite Witbiers.

08-09-2011 00:46:21 | More by ranger7
Kylito87

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

HAHAHA I know what you are thinking. But after a stressful day at the office this was literally the only bottle of beer in my Depleted Fridge. Heres we goes !

Appearance: Hazy cloudy burnt orangy yellow. Pours a very prominant white head and then melts down to nothing like the wicked witch from Wizard of Oz. Abosolute 0 lacing.

Smell: Some lemon zest with a cracked corriander undertone. Some soft wheat bread and yeast notes tickle the nose after the lemon has run it's course.

Taste: Prominant wheat (uh Duh) maltiness with a lemonade finish. The spices that I get in the nose are very minute in the flavor aspect really I do pick up a pepper note. It has this cloying kind of syrupy taste to it , I am not sure what that is from . All in all not a horrible taste but this is one of the few beers that the douchy addition of fruit might actually help it along.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated! Sticky syrupy not all that appealing. Sort of refreshing but I would have to sweating my you know what off to get the most of this one. I would have to say if this is your best option at your chosen venue go for it however if there are more attractive (less commercialized , less douchebaggy , less faux craft) options please RUN that way!

Sidenote: I have to stay humble here for one reason. I remember the way this beer used to taste before I fell into the craft scene full bore. It was so different than most of the Macro stuff I had had before that it was one of my gate way brews. I know this review might sound like I am flaming this beer, But with all of the beautiful witbiers out there it is a shame that they don't get the recognition that this beer has . So I guess what I am saying drink what makes you happy and if someone drinks something different don't talk down to them like you are better than them . This is only my 60th review and I have alot to learn. Every beer has it's place and time whether it be a Simpler times or Pliny the Elder. The old expression holds true you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

08-04-2011 02:48:43 | More by Kylito87
tito42

Missouri

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Served on tap.

A: Straw with orange hues. Thin head dissapates quickly and leaves only a few wisps of off-white.

S: Orange peel, wheat, some sweet citrus, and a hint of coriander.

T: Sugary sweet up front, with orange, lemon, and wheat flavors throughout. The spiciness is faint in the taste as it is in the nose compared to other wits. Frosted corn flake finish.

M: Light-bodied with a touch of creaminess. Very clean and refreshing. A bit of carbonation on the finish. Has a macro mouthfeel to me.

O: Not offensive at all, which is an accomplishment for a macrobrewer. A very refreshing summer beer. A good baseline of what is required of a witbier.

08-03-2011 04:00:55 | More by tito42
Dodt

3.4/5  rDev 0%

found one or two of these bad boys were left behind from a family function decide to give it a try.
poured from the can in to the glass
appearance : a cloudy yellow with a nice head that stays for a bit
smell some citrus and wheat notes
taste a bit creamy and reminds me a bit like a mild hef.

Serving type: can

08-02-2011 23:00:16 | More by Dodt
DaveHS

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

A-Pours hazy blonde with a small, fizzy white head that disappears almost instantly.

S-Wheat, orange skins, black pepper, coriander, oatmeal with brown sugar.

T/M-Light and soft, with a touch of pepper and creamy Belgian yeast.Soggy corn flakes. Not as dry or crisp as the style usually dictates. Unsophisticated and bland.

O-Boring. Not very good. But not as terrible as many make it out to be.

08-01-2011 04:21:47 | More by DaveHS
hdf561

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%

I will admit I am not much of a wheat beer drinker but it was what my friend had in his fridge and I never turn down a free, cold beer.

It smelled and looked ok. It was a little bitter, and definetly had an after taste.

It was not very smooth or did not have alot of drinkability. Not something I would tailgate with or purchase on my own but I would not turn it down if it was offered to me.

08-01-2011 00:22:43 | More by hdf561
JoLight

Georgia

2.55/5  rDev -25%

Ap- Hazy orange/yellow, very small head, and light to no lacing.

A- Smells of orange, coriander, some spiciness, and wheat.

T- Tastes of bland wheat, dried up, old oranges, some spiciness, and it leaves a bitter, bland, dry aftertaste.

O- I was really disappointed with this beer, because I like the others of its brand. But this beer was not at all what I thought it'd be like. It was fresh, and well refrigerated; and even with all that said, I still can't say anything positive about it from a personal opinion. It's good quality beer for the price, and it's worth a try. I know a lot of people who drink Blue Moon Belgian White and love it. But this is just not for me. I don't claim this to be a bad beer, but it's not something I'd buy again.

07-28-2011 19:55:35 | More by JoLight
beerdrinker4life

Connecticut

2.42/5  rDev -28.8%

Ok more beers in a can! This should be the ultimate quencher here at GOTV and its 100 degrees.

pours into my cup, looks good so far. Super hazy orange color with pure white head. Looks good.

Smell? For some reason I smell oranges and spices like an easter ham. Hmmm. No hops though.

Taste? Not good. I am not enjoying this. Its kind of sweet and syrupy actually. It is clove like and spicy but there is no tartness or sourness or bitterness for balance. It taste like a wine cooler.

The mouthfeel is syrupy. Not refreshing.

I am glad I tried this. But I won't go back.

Serving type: can

07-24-2011 13:32:52 | More by beerdrinker4life
CS1971

Blue Moon was the beer that introduced me to "alternative beers" (I won't use the word craft since it is a Coors beer :-). I have to be honest, I LOVE this beer. I love the crispness of witbier, and the orange flavor is wonderful. For a while this was all I drank, but then had to mix some things up with red beers, lagers and other whites. I am not a huge fan of Coors american adjunct, but I think they hit the nail on the head with Blue Moon!

07-23-2011 00:57:42 | More by CS1971
CraftBeerTastic

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

Ba Review #19
Served On: 7/21/2011
Glassware: Clear plastic cup

Consumed this beer at Jimmy’s Grill at Dewey Beach, DE. The bar didn't have much of a selection, so I thought I would try this one. I've heard it's nothing more than a Rickard’s White (Canadian Only) with a Blue Moon label (by Molson/Coors).

Look: The pour was nice and smooth. A thin white head formed over a cloudy straw colored beer. It was basically a textbook wheat beer appearance. No sediment or carbonation was really present. The reviews I've seen of Rickard’s White have all had crazy head and lacing. Of course those were of the draft only version in Canada. The Blue Moon was not even close to that.

Smell: A typical wheat beer aroma with some faint Belgian qualities. Some citrus notes. That faint smell of wet straw or grass. Other than not, not much was happening.

Taste: This was a very drinkable beer, however most wheat beers are. Again some citrus and spice noticeable. The beer had a watery mouth feel despite its unfiltered appearance. I noticed a lot of women were ordering up this offering. I would bet if this were badged as Rickard’s White (like in Canada), not too many women would be asking for it. A trendy name like ‘Blue Moon’ must play well towards Molson/Coors’ US marketing strategy with women.

I don’t know that I would ever seek out this beer. This is another beer that is relative to the situation. If I had to choose between a Blue Moon or a Bud Light, it would obviously be the Blue Moon. I also found that women gravitate towards beverages garnished with fruit. If you ever order one up for your lady, make sure they put an orange slice in it.

07-22-2011 02:40:05 | More by CraftBeerTastic
Knapp85

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer was probably one of the first 50 beers I had ever tried. I gave this one a try simply because I wanted to have something new. When I ordered my first glass of it the guy asked me if I wanted an orange wedge in it, I said sure because everyone else at the bar had one. I'm assuming he asked because I was a guy and perhaps "guys don't put fruit in their beer". Anyway though, I got the glass tossed the wedge in and gave it a look. It's a cloudy golden color with a foamy white head on top. The lacing is actually decent on this beer, I was surprised. The smell of the beer was sweet and now full of orange zest. The taste of the beer was refreshing and citrusy, makes a really nice summer beer for some people. The mouthfeel was smooth and lightly carbonated. Overall Blue Moon has never been a terrible beer in my opinion but since it's from Coors I do have a bit of an issue buying it. If it's free I'll drink it but I really don't feel the need to go out and purchase these with my own money unless it's all that's available.

07-20-2011 20:59:28 | More by Knapp85
CHickman

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours cloudy yellow gold in color with a creamy 1 finger foamy white head that faded slowly, leaving good lacing; a lot of sediment floating around in the glass.

Smells of yeast, wheat, lemon, coriander, hay, grass, sweet malt, light caramel, grains and coriander or light citrus hops (maybe both); nice fresh hefeweizen aroma with a hint of faint wet bread and a nice nose that's consistent for a Belgian style.

Tastes like it smells, with sweet malt, yeast, wheat, lemon, coriander, orange peel, light citrus hops or herbs, hay, grass, caramel, grains, light pepper and some very mild spices; flavor is sweet, zesty and earthy, with nice grains and wheat.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, with a medium body and grainy feel, very light to no carbonation and a slick feel as it slides over the tongue.

A decent American hefe that is refreshing and quite drinkable, especially on a hot summer day. A very nice effort by Coors, and a beer that has become mainstream and consistently good.

07-19-2011 02:45:46 | More by CHickman
BeerMane

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Alot of places started serving this so I thought I would give try it. It has a nice smooth taste, it has a good feel and very easy to drink. By far the best overall Witbier for the money. This beer is easy to drink on a nice summer day by the pool or relaxing at the beach.

07-17-2011 02:41:28 | More by BeerMane
spitInTheOcean

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

golden straw color. good head retention with a dense white head. cloudy, hazy appearance.

smell is sweet maybe a little like honey, and quite spicy, coriander being the most frontal aroma.

taste is sweet throughout, with a bit of zesty notes. perhaps a subtle spiciness is briefly discernible.

medium bodied. finishes soft, and not crisp but sweetly.

this beer is just to sweet. it also seems kind of two dimensional.
its just ok.