2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Ratings: 4,345 | Reviews: 1,413 | Show All Ratings:
Antnego

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

The gold standard of wheat beers, quite possibly all beers. I am a fan of wheat beers, so be prepared for a very biased review.

Blue Moon is my standard go-to beer, especially when good craft beers are scarce. It drinks like a quality craft beer, yet is surprisingly common to find on tap at a neighborhood watering hole.

It's amber-golden color is appealing. Head is typically thin and does not last long. The scent is citrusy with a tone of sourdough bread.

The taste is phenomenal. It has a citrusy bite with undertones of various slices, including cinnamon and coriander. The dominant flavor is bready wheat. When someone refers to beer as "liquid bread," I immediately imagine Blue Moon. You remember its flavor and your mouth waters.

Its mouthfeel is exquisite. Silky, thick and rich. The brew coats your tongue and washes down well. This beer has the body of Guiness without the muddy color or strong bitterness.

If Blue Moon was the only beer on Earth, I'd be quite content.

12-19-2012 06:23:22 | More by Antnego
TheEclecticGent

Georgia

Had this beer from a 22 draft. The color is a cloudy light tan / straw color, very nice even cloudiness. It has a firm 1-inch head that stays for about the first 1/3 of the session with a little lacing. It has a very zesty citrus and light wheat scent with a nice spicy aroma. Nice orange and wheat flavors with nutmeg overtones. This is a very good Belgium-styled White / Witbier. I was shocked to learn that it's made by Coors! This would be their best beer buy a long shot. This is a really good beer of this style and from an American Macrobrewery (McBrewery)! Wow Impressive.

Update: I continue to like this beer more and more. It’s become on the easy drinking beers when I relax. It is really good and very affordable. I have bumped the numbers up. I still can’t believe that this is produced by a Macrobrewery.

01-20-2006 16:53:01 | More by TheEclecticGent
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%

Surprisingly decent, courtesy on tap in Orlando at Underground Bluz. Smooth enough thought it was a micro. Nice wheaty appearance, good aroma, smeet though citrusy. Refreshing carbonation. Medium of the road mouthfeel. Coors? Did they buy this brewery?

01-06-2005 18:43:31 | More by Sammy
Earl11

Colorado

3.69/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A solid "good" wheat beer. Cloudy deep straw color; light citrus, spicy orange and coriander flavor and aroma; medium body and average carbonation for a wheat beer. Goes well with a meal and conversation, where it is not distracting, but it is still worthwhile paying attention to the flavors in the beer. I first tried it at Sams #3 in Denver, where it was on tap and served with an orange slice on the rim of the glass. The orange slice called attention to the fruity elements in the beer and was a pleasant addition. I also used it as a reference level in a tasting of wheat beers with a couple of friends. In that tasting (with no orange slice) the balance between the flavor of the spices and citrus fruitiness was very pleasant. At that tasting, we rated the Blue Moon as "good" when compared with St. Bernardus witbier (world class), Maui Mana Wheat (very good) and Flying Dog In Heat (equal to or slightly below the Blue Moon).

04-21-2014 19:00:57 | More by Earl11
arc3636

Kansas

3.86/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours pale gold with white head. It's fairly cloudy and produces lots of bubbles. Smell is very citrusy, grapefruit and orange stand out. The spice notes come through more in the taste. It's also fairly sweet. Haven't had one in a long time, but this will be my go to wheat beer now.

04-20-2014 02:04:32 | More by arc3636
Ohiolager

3.11/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Blue Moon Belgian White 16 oz can $1.79(OH)

16 oz can poured into a stemless white wine glass. Drink before date printed on the bottom.

Pours a hazy orange with slight amber tones. A little more than a two finger head, that leaves very little lacing. The head don't last too long either. A small froth remains on the surface.

The smell is that of a spicy orange with hints of cinnamon. The coriander (cilantro) smell is dominate here.

The taste is dominated by coriander (cilantro), with after tones of wheat, oranges and cinnamon.

Mouth feel is decent. a medium body brew, good carbonation. too many bubbles would ruin this. Its leaves your mouth spicy and wanting more. Not dry nor bitter. After a while the spices may get old or displeasing, so not a session beer in my opinion.

Overall a great twist on a witbier, if you like spices coriander mainly. I do wish the coriander was more subtle, letting the wheat and orange notes shine through. But not bad at all. I've had this brew several times and will again. It's just so easy to find and when you are looking in a cooler at a gas station and see nothing else, its worth grabbing.

04-19-2014 06:34:22 | More by Ohiolager
turbotype

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I want to type up so much about this beer, but I probably shouldn't. I will say that it was my gateway beer. It introduced me to the fact there is so much more to beer than Bud or Miller. For a mass produced wheat, Blue Moon has a lot going on. It looks murky and scary, but tastes terrific for a big brewer beer. Strong orange and grapefruit notes. Smooth and fizzy like I think a wheat beer should be. Drink this one with a burger and fries and just relax... A mass produced domestic that is as good as Blue Moon is rather hard to find, imo.

On March 28 2014, I added the following.

Lately, I have been drinking Imperial Stouts and DIPAs. Today I stopped and got a burger for lunch, and decided to wash it down with an ol' Blue Moon. Boy was it bland. Not knocking the beer, just was a noteworthy experience. I've essentially ruined my palate due to the high abv DIPAs and Stouts to the point where one of my favorite standbys are no longer enjoyable. Sad day.

03-28-2014 16:09:27 | More by turbotype
Kris450

Iowa

3.71/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This was the first beer I drank consistently. A great starter beer! The Belgian style is light enough to make it drinkable, yet it became too sweet for me as I began to experiment and enjoy IPAs and stouts. The orange and citrus finish really makes this a beer to remember and I recommend it to those who have not yet found that "perfect beer" yet!

03-21-2014 00:31:30 | More by Kris450
Franziskaner

Missouri

2.78/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Very hazy golden hued with orange tint. A minuscule bit of white foam covers most of the top. Strong aroma of orange along with pale wheat and a bit of coriander. The taste is a burst of orange with pale wheat playing second fiddle. The coriander is coming up in the fade. The body is a bit thin. The orange flavor overpowers.

03-18-2014 18:12:35 | More by Franziskaner
StevORugby

Maryland

4.14/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

this beer is not my fav. i will drink when its presented to me for enjoyment but not my first or second choice when given other reasonable options. the blue moon is generally served with an orange and i prefer to drink without the garnish. the fruit adds fruity tones to the palate but it lacks the hoppy notes i tend to prefer in a beer. nothing bad about this beer though.

03-13-2014 19:31:56 | More by StevORugby
Zepaw

4.83/5  rDev +42.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is my favorite beer by a large margin. I'm no deep beer aficionado so I can't pick it apart piece by piece but simply put it is a genuinely delicious beer that fits almost any occasion. I highly recommend tossing in an orange slice with it as well, it noticeably improves an already good flavor.

03-13-2014 19:11:42 | More by Zepaw
Retroman40

Kentucky

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass well chilled.

A - Very hazy amber-orange color with a fleeting head that gives way to decent lacing.

S - Fruity with hints of spices.

T - Spices dominate with coriander the main taste.

M - A bit on the thin side but ok, decent carbonation level helps.

O - I won't turn one down but this is way over-hyped. There is a lot better at the same price point.

03-12-2014 00:37:25 | More by Retroman40
Chakri

Vermont

3.71/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is my first Belgian... fell in love on the first sip at the Hooters. Always beware of this beer not tasting great on tap if its old stock - meaning not a moving product in a not so famous spot. Don't ever buy the bottle... its a good-on-tap kind.

03-09-2014 19:13:11 | More by Chakri
BrewThru_29

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Pretty much the go-to when there's no craft drafts.

Looks great.

Smells Iike oranges.

Tastes like yeasty oranges.

Pretty smooth mouth feel.

Very drinkable. Not something I go out of my way for but a solid choice when there's nothing good available.

03-08-2014 20:01:42 | More by BrewThru_29
nicholas2121

3.59/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Blue Moon Belgian White brewed by Coors. This brew is non-filtered but pours amber with a white head. I'm not a big fan of non-filtered beers. This beer smells like citrus and beer. The taste is good with smooth. There is nothing bad about this brew. This beer goes down smooth and fresh. Overall I give this beer a 3.75 out of 5. This was a good beer.

03-07-2014 04:50:49 | More by nicholas2121
1fortheroad

South Carolina

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

For the pleasure this beer has given me over the years i have to say this is one of those that i always go back for over and over again. My first serving of this beer was back in 2006, we've been friends ever since. Its not my favorite though, i am a stout drinker but in the social setting i turn to this white ale. Its not too heavy but its full of flavor and perfect with a complimentary garnishing of orange slice.

03-06-2014 13:42:34 | More by 1fortheroad
HoppyBastard

Nebraska

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass.

APPEARANCE: cloudy, orange hue with initial one finger head that dissipated quickly, there was small amount of lacing on the glass, medium carbonation.

SMELL: sweet orange citrus, flowery, bread, coriander, not overpowering.

TASTE: sweet citrus, spice and bread, not overpowering, hops are not prominent in this beer, very drinkable.

PALATE: creamy with medium carbonation.

OVERALL: Blue Moon is the beer that got me interested in domestic craft beer and all the other Belgian beer styles that I love. I consider this the best Belgian White on the market. I know this is made by Miller-Coors but I don't care. Good beer is where you find it. This is the only mass produced beer I buy on a regular basis.

02-28-2014 02:06:33 | More by HoppyBastard
archyquaffer

Montana

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Served from a 12 ounce stubby into a big pilsner glass. No fruit. I went with an aggressive pour which produced a good 2 inches of billowy head. This almost completely disappears after about 5 minutes but does leave some long lasting lace on the top and sides. A good swirl revives it pretty well. The beer is almost a lemon yellow and very hazy.

I get some pretty decent malty-citrusy and spicy aromas and flavors, including the usual lemon, orange, coriander and possibly some slight pepper tones. The texture is fairly creamy.

This is actually pretty tasty and easy drinking beer. I had one of these the other day which seemed much inferior to this one- flat and maybe even adjuncty tasting. But this one has most of the qualities one might expect for the style.

02-23-2014 01:40:19 | More by archyquaffer
Brewsome

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I try to keep BM in the fridge when out of homebrew. Blue Moon is a good tasting lite Wheat beer. Not an explosion of flavor you would expect from a true Hefeweizen yeast strain, but this is a nice'n lite style that the masses prefer. Add a orange wedge, but hold off on those lemons lol. Serve in a chilled glass for some chillaxn.

I would recommend this beer.

02-22-2014 23:59:24 | More by Brewsome
johnchen1229

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: Pours a dark yellow, pretty much urine-like yellow. Nice bubbly lace.

S: A hint of floweriness and citrus. No alcohol notes.

T: Excellent! Refreshing, no alcohol or bitterness whatsoever. A crisp sweet undertone with lots of malty grainy goodness. Ends with notes of cereal.

M: Carbonated, but not overly so. Dissipates into easily drinkable mouthful.

Overall: This is one of my favorites at this price point! This is something I would buy a 6-pack of just to enjoy over time.

02-14-2014 06:25:21 | More by johnchen1229
Warmonster

Missouri

3.79/5  rDev +11.5%

Not a fan of wheat beers but this has to be one of the best tasting wheat beers I've had.. and I'm also familiar with this type of wheat brew with the fruit addition and this is one of the best if not the best I've had.. Again I'm not that into wheat beers so I'm sure there are many more.. but for what it is it's pretty good beer.. TBH to me it barely even tasted like beer.. more like some fruit drink beer... It's def. worth a try..

02-09-2014 20:11:46 | More by Warmonster
spokes100

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- soft yellow, short head.

Aroma- wheat and orange.

Taste- wheat and orange, nice from start to finish with crisp aftertaste.

Bottom Line- A reasonable beer by itself or with a meal. Don't know why I haven't reviewed this beer before, I drink it all the time.

01-31-2014 01:00:55 | More by spokes100
mando_thegreat

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I think blue moon is an amazing beer. I really enjoy drinking it. the taste is perfect, appearance is wonderful, and the price is reasonable for what it is. I would have to say this is prob one of my favorite beers. I still have yet to try the other blue moon flavors, so i wont jump the gun just yet. I can tell they will be good as well. i would recommend this beer to everyone

01-25-2014 04:09:45 | More by mando_thegreat
GeorgeMenton722

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%

When it comes to commercial and widely available wheat beers, Blue Moon is the best overall. Although I have had much better winterbiers, Blue Moon is the best that you can find at any convenience store in America.

Apperance: Unfiltered, light orange. it's cloudiness may be unappealing to some that are used to seeing filtered beer, but it does improve its texture.

Smell: A typical "what comes to mind when you thing of light beer" smell, made a bit more complex by a hint of citrus.

Taste: A strong intital wheat flavor with hints of orange. In my opinion, this beer is too sweet. The hops flavor is dulled by an orange sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Definetely the best part of this beer.

01-18-2014 23:32:47 | More by GeorgeMenton722
snowman4440

3.84/5  rDev +12.9%

Very drinkable with a sweet taste at the end. Did not have the orange slice with but understand why people would like that. Would really recommend this beer its very tasty and light , don't be afraid of the Blue Moon! The sweet taste is very refreshing I really was surprised at the color and non filtering of this beer it was very enjoyable! I just wondering if filtering the water would change the taste at all I know it would not change the color or appearance. Ill have to ask Keith Villa when I meet him he did a great job on this brew!

01-14-2014 20:03:07 | More by snowman4440