Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
3.4

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Reviews: 1,595 | Ratings: 6,617
2.95/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours hazy orange with tons of carbonation bubbles. Two finger off-white head dissipates leaving a thin frothy foamy head.

Smell has aromas of wheat, coriander, pepper and hints of subdued citrus and orange.

Taste is subdued. Wheat comes through with some notes of spice and orange. Overall rather bland and muted.

Feel has medium carbonation, pretty drinkable.

Overall a poor example of a witbier, rather bland, nothing to drink with so many better offerings out there.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Drank from the bottle Can't really say what it looked like, color, head, etc. It was a little sweet with a spicy citrusy twang. Not bad for a run of the mill beer. Will consider it in a pinch.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

For starters, I'm coming back to this beer because the completionist in me is forcing me to. I've had this beer enough times in my life that I know what to expect and what to say about it. I will never forget the spring of 2013 and the "Keg That Would Not Die" which is another story for another time. This beer is okay enough to me that I don't get bent out of shape if someone offers me one. There are better beers, that much can be said right off the bat, but Blue Moon Belgian White is a good, average, standby beer with a slight bit of character and general appeal. I don't drink it out of habit, but when I do have it I feel okay about the proposition.

A: slightly murky copper-gold with a finger of sudsy head that dissipates in a couple of minutes. Leave pretty good scum of foam on top of the glass as it dissipates, but the head itself is fairly underwhelming. As the glass empties, the suds pretty much disappear save for a ring around the edge of the glass.

S: lots and lots of orange. Bready. Sweet. Spicy/herbal smell that I attribute somewhat to yeast but mostly to coriander and maybe grains of paradise or something similar. Not a huge, sinus filling smell, so don't waste time trying to get down all the different nuances.

T: again with the oranges. If on tap I actually do like this with a slice of orange, but it is not necessary and I get why people don't care for it. Still very bready, pretty much like a slice of white bread in a glass, but it has just enough flavor to be interesting. Still spicy, though it complements decently. Hops are pretty much an afterthought. If it weren't so sweet then they'd come through a bit better.

M: a little bit too foamy and heavy for my taste, but it's not that bad. I wish it were a little bit drier. Not quite crisp and clean enough to be a refreshing hot weather drink.

I don't have much else to say. If you really want a witbier then go spend your money on something else, MillerCoors is rich enough. If you want something that tastes okay, won't break the bank, or are trying to introduce yourself or someone else into the world of beer outside of the Bud 24 pack, then this isn't a bad place to start.

To good health and good beer.

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%

L: Very cloudy orange gold. 1cm head that went away pretty quick.

S: Smells like a Hefeweizen plus the spices and orange. These are subtle, making it interesting and appealing.

T: Again, a Hefeweizen with the freshness of the orange+coriander. The aftertaste is bitter enough to notice it. It does have a flavor that reminds me of oats.

F: Very subtle carbonation. It is good but maybe too subtle. It feels creamy and fresh.

Overall, and interesting beer. I will definitely grab another one soon.

2.97/5  rDev -12.6%

Yawn. I really hate when a brewer just scoops up the name of a style and cooks up something that resembles that style in passing. Like this. A vague effort, drinkable, but uninspired. Sorta wheaty. Sorta yeasty. Sorta spicy. Meh. Won't hurt you, but won't thrill you either. Zzzzzz.

3.71/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into Pilsner glass with orange. Pours a cloudy yellow-golden with some carbonation.
Smells of spices, orange and sweet malt.
Tastes of nice spicy hops with a sweetish orange taste and finishing with a bitter touch.
Mouthful is crisp and smooth
Overall, good Witbier that helped eased me into these types of beer.

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The appearance is a cloudy orange, which is common for this style and the head is somewhat soapy. As far as aroma, citrus rules them all so I leave out the orange that is practically always served with this beer. I wish I could get more flavors out of it without the citrus overpowering it so much. Overall, a pretty refreshing beer that I find myself enjoying fairly often.

3.11/5  rDev -8.5%

Appearance--Part of what keeps me coming back to this as a "standard bar tap" selection is the attractive color of this beer--though it is somewhat "off" compared to others of the style. Pours somewhere between an amber and a golden color. It has a nice solid head that maintains well throughout the drink.

Smell--Aggressive citrus notes from the outset--and not much else. The smell is a tipoff of the general lack of complexity of this Belgian white.

Taste--See comment above regarding aroma. Citrus and more citrus. I would pass on the orange that the barkeep will invariably put in the glass as a matter of course if you don't say something in advance. The label and advertising talk about coriander and other ingredients, but the orange zest overwhelms all of them. This is not a nuanced Belgian white, which isn't unexepcted for a "for the masses" selection that is ubiquitous on restaurant and bar taps. However, when you're having a bite in a joint that offers Budweiser, Miller Lite, and Coors Lite as the other "options," it's a vastly superior choice. It's also a nice "opening" beer because it's pretty light, and is easy to drink.

Feel--Nice carbonation, but that's about the only remarkable sensation it brings to the party.

Overall--I remember when this beer first started showing up in restaurants years ago, and at the time, it was treated like a "premium" offering because it was before other better offerings have proliferated as craft beers have exploded. However, I keep coming back to it, because it was one of the first beers I tried two decades ago that was outside the "comfort zone" of the standard macro brews. I think this would still be a good beer for someone that has been drinking Budweiser, Miller, or other generics to step into a different style, though other Belgian whites that have crossed over into mass production, like Hoegaarden, would still be a better choice in that regard.

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Hazy pale straw color with storming activity. Slightly foamy white 2 finger head, lasting around 5 minutes, with faint legs. Flavors of roasted sweet grains, lemon, corn, wheat, faint coriander and floral spices. Sugary with low sharpness. Oily full body with prickly carbonation. Light finish, short lingering sweet malts and soft spices. Okay freshness, a bit flat. Faint flavors and bland. Not a good witbier, overall the quality is mediocre.

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

473 mL can from the LCBO served slightly chilled; labelled as "Belgian Moon" for the Canadian market. The existence of 'Rickard's White' in Canada (which has always been, quite literally, nothing more than re-labelled Blue Moon) has previously presented a large disincentive for Molson-Coors to bother launching the Blue Moon label on this side of the border. But I suppose M-C has got to find some way to compete with all of that fruity Shock Top crap that has been diffusing into Canada over the past year, and this is merely the first step.

Pours foggy golden-yellow, with a full inch of frothy, bone white-coloured head floating atop. It dissipates continuously over the next couple of minutes, eventually leaving behind a wide, foamy collar accompanied by minimal lace. Cereal grains and wheaty sweetness on the nose, with notes of zesty orange peel and spicy coriander. Kind of a weird sweaty armpit vibe, too.

Not too appealing. More cereal grain and gritty wheat flavour; the adjuncts help cover things up, but you can tell the base beer is mediocre and cheap. Orange peel and lemon zest make up the latter half of the sip, with subtle coriander spice and muddled flavours of yeast and apricot finishing things up. Light-medium body, with moderate carbonation levels - lower than I was expecting, but still enough to produce a relatively crisp mouthfeel. Refreshing when cold, I suppose, but if that's all I'm seeking then I'd rather save myself some money and just buy a regular pale lager.

Final Grade: 2.88, a forgettable C grade. Nope. No thanks. I realize that Blue Moon as a brand has done some good work as a gateway craft beer, but the beer itself doesn't do much for me at all. Unless they opt to retire the old Rickard's White brand, I have no reason to believe that Belgian Moon's presence in Canada is anything more than a half-assed attempt by Molson-Coors to gobble up some shelf space so that the competition can't have it. At best, it's a tolerable corporate witbier; one that Canadians who are familiar with the Rickard's portfolio can handily skip.

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Even coming from a macro brew, Blue Moon is definitely a decent beer. Most bars usually have it on tap and for its mass production, it's not bad at all. Easy gateway into craft beers for some people. Easy to drink, enough citrus taste, and an overall crisp finish.

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Another famous beer brewed with orange. Like the Rickard's white you can feel the orange in every sip of this drink. The only difference I have seen, was that there is no lees or very little at the bottom of the bottle.

This one will become really fast one of my favorite and will probably compete with the Rickard's white.

The color is a rich golden yellow with less deposit than in the Rickard's white. They probably filter this beer a little bit more.

On my beer can I can't find anywhere saying blue moon, so I assume I have the right one to describe.

5.4% ABV, the IBU (international beer bitterness) is very low, and the SRM (Standard reference Method) is about 5 to 6. The can is 473 ml for 3.65 $.

This beer will become one of my many favorite beer.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

I understand why people like this beer. It is not my taste it tastes more of lemon, lime. It is okay for my palate, but I prefer Hacker Pschorr Weiss or Shock Top to Blue Moon

4.43/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

You can't go wrong with slices of orange or grapefruit. It enhanced the flavor by quite a gap. First time I tasted it in Vegas a few years back. But last month my gf sent me a dozen cans as a gift, straight from US. It was so tasty, crisp, fruity, and refreshing. Best paired with any pork dishes, especially those Chinese take out. One of the best Belgian White Ale I've ever tasted.

3.23/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

You know how weed is a gateway drug? Well this is my gateway beer! Before this beer, my only exposure to beer was stuff like Bud and PBR. I thought beer was piss water. Then I had a Blue Moon, which I still enjoy to this day. Way better than a shock top, very refreshing and tastes like orange juice. This beer made we want to explore the world of craft beer that I indulge in today, so thank you Blue Moon and Coors Brewing. I may not consider you a "great beer" now, but you served your purpose as my "gateway beer!"

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Coors Brewing Company - Blue Moon Belgian White. 5.4% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Best by 7/18/16.

Look: Settles a hazy, soft orange color, with a half finger sized head of light tan foam which settles into nothing.

Smell: Strong wheat and bread on the nose, with some orange peel and citrus backing it.

Feel: Heavy and thick feel, with a lot of carbonation.

Taste: Wheat and biscuit backbone throughout, with the citrus and orange peel emerging behind the heavy wheat.

Overall: First Witbier. Before I drank beer, I remember the commercial for this beer, and always thought it looked good. This isn't bad at all, but mediocre in my opinion. Feels heavy, and nothing really stands out about it.

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden slightly hazy color with minimal head that disappears very quickly. The nose is very strong and is my favorite part of this brew; malty with notes of orange mainly. The taste isn't as wheaty as other witbiers I've had, and seems to be quite a bit weaker than the smell. The feel is light, crisp, and smooth with medium carbonation.

3.66/5  rDev +7.6%

L: cloudy, golden color
S: faint notes of citrus and fresh wheat
T: deliciously light and refreshing with citrus notes
F: smooth
O: for my first witbier, I'm happily satisfied and want another please

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

This would taste better with like a whole orange, cubed, pulverized and crammed into my glass.
I want to hate this to a level of utter hatefullness, but I can't. I feel guilty for kinda digging it's crappy spicy/wheaty/citrusy wankiness.
Someone take me out and shoot me.

2.91/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours like cloudy apple cider with a tiny and quickly vanishing head. Smell is sweet and yeasty. Taste is vaguely citrus and mostly biscuit, but overall it's quite mild. Mouthfeel is extremely thin, yet somehow manages some creaminess through the carbonation.

3.86/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured a hazy golden color with a frothy white head. Big chunks of particulate matter found floating through the powerful carbonation bubbles.

Smells of citrus and white bread.

Taste was a wheat bread, biscuit taste mixed with citrus notes and some spices like coriander coming through in the background.

Mouth feel was leaning toward medium with a nice wet finish.

Overall this was a good wit that placed above others and below others for me. That being said I would place this on a regular order list and I am very happy with another nice offering from the Coors Brewing Company.

3.49/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased a 24pk at the duty free in Buffalo MI. Served at 5deg C in a tulip.

A- Opens well and pours a 1" high white head that lasts for nearly 4mins before film out. Medium gold colour and unfiltered

S- Nice coriander. Some malt.

T- Thin. Missing that Belgium style white flavor completely. Just a shill of a wheat brew. Guess the proper ingredients in the proper proportions are too expensive for this mass producer. This must be what happens when the bean counters get too involved in a brewery.

M- Thin and watery

O- Ok at best. Just not even the same ball park as a Blanche De Chambly or Hoegaarden. It must be the mass producing philosophy keeping this one down...... profit, profit, profit, flavor be damned.

Food Pairing

This ok brew went ok with....... BBQ mild sausage with mild yellow mustard and fried sauerkraut.

Enjoy

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

An amazing gateway beer. For me it was a transitional beer to even better craft. It should never be dismissed as a typical macro beer product. Smooth and all around easy going beer

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A classic. The appearance is hazy as all get-out, but the bold (but artificially strong) orange peel on the nose and tongue, backed by sweet bready grains, is as easily enjoyable as anything. As insulting as it is to call this superficial beer Belgian in style, it's equally as insulting to dismiss it as a bad beer altogether.

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

I love this beer. It's Orange Soda Beer. I drink it all the time.

However, it helped me learn about other Witbiers', so it's served its purpose.

Coors makes this, their beer is atrocious, but they have a diamond here in a sea of garbage.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company