Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,540 | Hads: 6,236
3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy pale straw color with about a half-inch head of thick creamy bubbles. The head retention is pretty good.

Aroma: It smells sweet and refreshing and reminds me of lemon cookies. There are some biscuity malts in here.

Taste: Refreshing and clean with a really light mouthfeel. There is lots of lemon in this one, and the flavor also reminds me of cookies. There are some biscuity malts, and the finish is dry and leaves you with an impression of wheat.

Opinion: I am surprised that this came out of the facility of a macro brew! There is actually some flavor in this one. It is light and a bit too one dimensional for my taste, but it could easily be a crowd pleaser. It's not one I would seek out, but I would sure as hell take it over anything else I have tried from Coors so far. (815 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -9.9%

I really enjoyed this the first time I had it DC9, but with several additional tastings under my belt, I can firmly say my first impression was a bad one. It pours a cloudy off-white color with minimal head. Slight buttery smell seems interesting; that's what must have caught my attention the first few times. The taste is rather unfinished; that's the best I can describe it. It seems as if the beer hasn't aged properly or was stored incorrectly. A rather bland taste altogether with just subtle flavors; but not enjoyable really. After a sip or two, my mouth was exhausted. It's one of the few 'not so mass produced' beers at DC9 even though it's owned by Coors, so I'll probably have this again if I go there unless they get some beers on-tap. It's worth a taste now and again, but not too often. (801 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -1.7%

Served at about 40F from a 12 oz twist top bottle into a conic pint glass.

The color suprised me a bit - more orange than I expected. Head starts out tall and fluffy, but dies down quickly to nothing. No hint of lace, and I'm pretty sure I'm keeping beer-clean glasses.

Aroma is subdued, but nothing terrible. Really rather bland and hard to pick out anything particular.

Flavor is much better than the lackluster aroma implied. The orange/coriander is there, with perhaps some extra citrusy fruitiness. Finish is black pepper, finally finished up with a little too much malt sweetness.

Not an awful beer, but not something I will go out of my way to get again. It did match very well with a sweet ginger chicken dish we had for supper tonight. (757 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had tried Blue Moon on tap and finally found it in the bottle. Happily, I can report that the bottled version this above-average wheat beer it is virtually identical. Pours a dusky translucent gold color with a huge fluffy head which unfortunately fades fairly quickly to nothing. Citrus/grapefruit nose typical of most witbiers I’ve sampled. The first thing that strikes you upon drinking is the almost annoyingly bubbly mouth. However, that quickly fades to solid witbier flavor: predominantly citrus (I call it grapefruit) and wheat, so sweet as to be almost cloying. Drinkability is good, though perhaps too bubbly. Slightly bitter finish. Overall, this is a decent wheat beer; I’d say slightly above average. Yes, this beer is made by Coors, but don’t let that stop you from trying it. (795 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -14.9%

At first pour I was initially impressed with the look, it had a one inch head when poured from the bottle and set up nice in my pint glass. The color was deeper than expected as well with its deep golden cloudy nature. That all ended inside of a minute as the head completely disappeared with no sign of lacing at all. Almost seemed as if it never reached carbonation.

Smell and taste were spicey as I expected with a hint of corriander.

Mouthfeel was rather unimpressive and bland, maybe the lack of carbonation had something to do with it. The beer was a bit flabby. I even tried a second one in a new clean glass because I thought maybe my glassware had compromised the beer. No luck.

Drinkability is limited subject, I only drank the two because of my previous comment. In my opinion half of this one would have been enough. (837 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a bottle and looked pretty good. Very cloudy with a nice copper/amber color. Bright is a good word to describe it. Good white head that lasts.

Smell is of coriander and orange... typical... a little off though...
Some hints of lemon and even a little woody... not much though.

Taste is pretty average. Some citrus and a lot of what doesn't taste real. Again, not bad... just lacking something.

This beer doesn't have a character. It seems to mean well, but can't fit in with others of its kind.

If someone handed me a Blue Moon... I'd drink it. If there were other choices of this style and I was in the mood... I wouldn't purchase it. Thanks. (670 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours with a three-finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Light cloudy amber color with some yeast left in the bottle. Light bodied and light carbonation. Nose is wheat. Starts with some sweetness, some cloves and a clean finish. Nice. $5.74 for a 6-pack of 12oz from Super Walmart Concord, NH. Label has it brewed by Blue Moon Brewing Co. (354 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Nicely cloudy, dark gold, topped with a half-finger off-white head that completely disappears almost instantly. Spicey wheat dominates the nose, slight citrus as well. Gentle carbonation up front, medium body, sweet citrus and yeasty flavors with a bit of coriander . Smooth going down, though finishes with a slight fruit acridity. Not a true Belgian wheat, but not bad either, a middle-of-the-road offering. (409 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Ok, so this beer is brewed by one of the "Big Boys", but hey, at least Coors has stepped it up a little and tried something different, for them at least. Judge this beer against true belgian wit beers and it fails miserably, but judged on its own, it's not a bad beer. Pours a light golden caramel color and nice and cloudy like a wit should be. Head tends to fall rather rapidly. Aroma is nice and spicy with a hint of coriander and citrus, but very faint. Flavor is solid. It has most of the components that a wit beer should have, but just not of it. This beer was definately created to appeal to the masses who are looking for something a little different but not too far out of their norm. It's a very drinkable beer, easy to find yourself comsuming pint after pint especially in a bar where this is the farthest from the "standards" that you will come. My hope for this beer is that someone will drink it and be interested enough by its slightly different taste to break out of their MGD induced trance and start on the road to true beer enlightenment. (1,058 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -26.5%

12 oz bottle - 3.2% ABW. Pours a very cloudy and murky golden almost brownish. It has a fizzy white head that quickly disappears completely.

The aroma is yeast, corriander, wheat and some musty fruitiness.

The flavor is pretty subdued for a wit. There's sweet malt and wheat with some yeast and spiciness but it's pretty far in the background. It has a slightly bitter finish. There's some unpleasant acidic mustiness. The mouthfeel is pretty watery and undercarbonated.

Overall, a decent offering by macro standards, but pretty substandard for a wit. (560 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2%

Blue Moon is still a damn fine beer in my book. But my reveiw of it nearly 9 months ago is terrible. The beer is smooth, with tones of citrus fruit. It is easy to drink and enjoyable to the max. Cheap and plentiful...if I am at an impromptu MacroFest and this beer is there I know what I am drinking...hell if I want a cheap beer and don't want to think about what I am drinking this is what I grab. Enjoy it.

This is a great everyday beer. I enjoy the cloudy look the head if i could change one thing about the pour it would be the head, it is weak and does not last. The smell is very citrus and extremely enjoyable. As far as taste goes for a macro this beer stands up it isn't overly impressive but decent. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy as a witbier should be. Overall I will continue to drink this beer at barbecues, ball games, and anywhere that I need an affordable beer. (888 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +15.7%

I think that Coors Brewing company did a pretty damn good job for a macrobrewer at making a belgian white with that American microbrew flavor. This Blue Moon pours a cloudy yellow, not quite golden color. The scent is wheat and citrus. Quite a nice scent. My second one I had with an orange, which was nice as well. The flavor was sweet and flavorful. The flavors of lemon, orange, and wheat were quite present. All in all a nice smooth refreshing white beer. For the price and convienience, I would definitely recommend it. (524 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Pours a dull yellowish orange with a thin off white head and a slight bit of lacing. Smell is very lemony, with some faint spiciness coming through as well. Taste has a strong wheat malt presence and a weak lemon and orange peel flavor, and hardly any spices present at all. A little on the thin side, the carbonation level is high for a palate cleansing feel. Unoffending but not particularly interesting, this is probably the best beer I've had but out by one of the big 3. (475 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2%

Four things conspire to make this a good thirst-quenching summer beer. The citrus adds an evident sharp cut. The wheat, by the nature of how it behaves in the mash, strengthens this sharpness with a slightly acidic touch. The fizzy carbonation puts an edge on the beer. And the coriander cleans up the beer and lends a crisp top dressing overall. The only real complaint I have is that they don't do quite enough; the beer could be lighter and more quenching. (459 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -4.4%

Light bodied, slightly cloudy gold with a foamy white head that dissipates slowly with a fair amount of lace.

The aroma is coriander and citrus with a touch of cloves and bananas.

The taste is all orange zest coriander. Spicy and refreshing, creamy smooth. An decent wheat ale. (285 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A muted version of a great style. Looks murky and lemon yellow. Nice head with great retention, nice lacing. Smells lightly sweet, citrusy, and griny. Dominated by sour lemon and orange rind aromas. Not as much belgian tarness as expected. Tastes citrusy and mildly sweet. Lemons, banannas, and spices come through. Still lacks dept and sweetness. Leaves the palate a bit scrubbed and grainy. Becomes watery into finish. Fades quickly. A better beer than is expected from Coors, but still a far cry from a Hoegaardden. (518 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +9.9%

poured a nice hazy orangish ciolor with a moderate white head. Smell is spicy with a nice background of cloves. Taste seems to reveal corriander along with the cloves and is pleasant to the tongue. Aftertaste leaves the remaines ot the spiciness. Overall a good beer at a good price. (283 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -40.8%

This poured to a dark straw color that doesn't look so great. The head was unimpressive to begin with, shrank to nothing, and left no lace.

The smell consists entirely of a coriander and citrus, and it's not very appealing at all. The taste is more acceptable, but too sweet and zesty. The flavors here are fairly plain and overdone. The mouthfeel is fine, but the drinkability takes big hit for the simple fact that it just isn't very appealing.

On it's own this is a reasonable alternative to bad beer, but it falls flat for the style. (543 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +2.3%

When I first bought this in a growler from a Louisville KY beer store, I had no idea it was made by Coors. Back then, not being a BA but having discovered micros, if I'd known it was from Coors, I probably would have ignored this beer. I remembered the biggest impression of this beer was the buttery quality of it, unlike anything I'd had to that point. Maybe that was because it was from a keg....

A: Very cloudy, light orange , slight carbs and little head.

S: Fruity note, hint of a buttery scent, mostly a wheat smell.

M: A lot more spirited that I remember , it did have a small bit of the buttery finish at the end. More welcome from the bottle.

T: As a wheat, this is very good. Because I haven't reviewed witbeer before , I'll just go with my impressions. Why have I been shunning this beer? Just like JWD's Pale, this is pretty tasty, and definately better than standard Coors fare. Very citrus flavored, perhaps more of a lemon taste that a Hefe. Alcohol was there, but barely tasted. Good balance, a great summer taste.

Drinkability: I'm glad I tried this one again. From the bottle it was better than from the tap, and a lively beer and a good summer taste. Because this is more available, I could see buying this for daytime cookouts. Good wheat. (1,278 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +12.5%

A- hazy orange with a white head. head sticks around but doesnt lace at all.

S- sweet fruity smell.

T- very fruity flavor with a tiny hint of hops at the finish. banana and malt are the most noticable

M- nice feel to this beer. not to watery but not thick. mild carbonation

D- very easy to drink and smooth taste make this pretty high

overall- i was suprised with this since it comes from the same people that make coors. very smooth and crisp taste. easy to find and worth a try. (496 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +16%

Pours a very cloudy gold/orange with a modest fluffy white head that sticks around for a few minutes. If you add a slice of orange you can expect the head to drop as if it was a Coca-Cola, but the orange is far from necessary. Smell is pleasing but by no means complex.

Lots of sweetness from the wheat, orange peel, and coriander. A bit of spicy character and a nice smooth mouthfeel. Finish is comparatively dry. Regarding the obligatory orange slice, I think Blue Moon has plenty of citrus character as it is, and the orange slice will kill the head quickly, so I usually pass. But if you have a sweet tooth (as I am known to) then go for it.

Being that Blue Moon is available on tap at basically every bar I've gone to lately, and given its extremely easy drinkability, it's become my "go-to" beer when nothing else really interests me. This is a beer I could drink all night. (886 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +1.5%

Presentation: Poured a hazy orange-yellow color, with a white finger-thick head that had pretty good retention. This beer certainly was cloudy, as is expected with the style. The scent was of faint orange and coriander, as well as a little bit of lemon. It was a very sweet aroma. It wasn't strong enough, however, to get above the score it received.

Tasting: Sweet malt and citric notes hit the front of the tongue, followed by a somewhat satisfying middle of lemony tart and malt flavor. It seemed like a slightly lighter version of the style, without as much full character as other Witbiers. It was not as good as it warmed within my mouth. It sure did quench my thirst, however. It was very drinkable.

Notes: I'm glad to see Coors branching out a bit to this style. It's not the best Witbier, but it certainly is more adventurous than some of the other offerings of the Big Three. A pleasant surprise. (912 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +22.2%

1.5 finger head that dissipates quickly. pale yellow with chill haze expected from un-filtered wheat beer. citrus and spiciness to the nose. smells great. malt sweetness ansd hop bittering very balanced. dry finish. smells get even better as beer warms. blue moon rocks. oh yeah, i'm not so fond of coors either, but this definitely is not a coors lite. if they marketed this beer with scantily clad fine chicks it could become my favorite. (440 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +17.8%

Good summer beer. I keep this stocked for my neighbor. He drinks it with an orange slice. Cloudy yellow witbier color, nice fruity and clovy aroma. Minimal head, avg lacing. Taste is refreshing, nothing strong. Good "lawnmower" quality. I never thought I'd say this...but not bad for a Coors product. Worth a try. (313 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy pale yellow body, with a frothy white head. Aroma of cloves, citrus and lemon. Light bodied, smooth mouthfeel. Taste of cloves, some spice, some tartness and ends dry. A pretty good product from Coors. Has ok flavour, easy drinking and a decent wit when nothing else is around. (290 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company