Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

12 oz. bottle, from Seagate Liquors in Huntington Beach, CA,

A: Pours a cloudy orange, nice thick head, with good retention in a pint glass, pretty good looking witbier, darker than usual, though.

S: Nice scent of fresh oranges and some spice, some acidity present as well.

T: A little on the weak side for what I've experienced in other wits, but still a good pronounced orange flavour. Missing some of the bitter punch from the coriander, I expect in a quality wit, though, but overall, not bad.

M: Quenching acidity, spritziness, make for a refreshing mouthfeel and an easy-drinking beer.

T: A bit pedestrian when compared to the other great wits I've had in my life, but still good, would definitely have again if offered, one of the better "psuedo-micros" I've had from BMC.

Halcyondays, Nov 10, 2007
2.55/5  rDev -25%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a two finger head of slight cream, decent thickness, and alright retention. Colour is a cloudy dark orange. Not real appealing, truth be told.

Sm: Aroma is light in strength. Dirty orange esters dominate. No cream is present.

T: Dirty orange and stale-ish barley are all that come through. Simply badly built (especially for the style) and rather imbalanced. I wish there was more to it.

Mf: Smooth and wet. It helps to get the beer down easily, which I suppose caters to their demographic. Doesn't really complement the flavour.

Dr: Drinkable enough. It's better on draught, but not by much. It's sad that a beer requires an orange to taste better. The price is crap on draught for the quality, but a bit better from the bottle. Only recommended for extremist fanatics of the style.

kojevergas, Sep 04, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is now available in the UK, the big supermarket chain called TESCO has it on it's shelves. I thought I'd buy one because I've had it on tap in the US and wanted to see if it was better in a bottle.

Poured into a 'Good People' glass: the 355ml bottle produced the same murky moody looking dishwater colouring, the head although wispy and thin it was better than the tap version I had.

Almost odourless in the smelling stakes, some weak wheat/corny hints but nothing much at all really.

The flavours were also fairly weak as well, a fizzy watery mess to be honest, no true Belgian feel to it at all.

Not impressed one iota. Can't believe my scores given for the on-tap version were so kind.

BlackHaddock, Sep 24, 2011

beernads, May 24, 2013
2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

Consumed in October 2004 from a bottle purchased at Trader Joes.
Ahhhh, it figures; a Coors product. I have had a few of these and never was impressed and now the true light comes out. I had one left from the six pack, which is actually kinda old. Maybe 8 months kinda old. But, seeing that it is a Coors product, I don't think it's going to make a difference. Pours with a small head that is gone in a flash. Zero, zilch, nil lacing anywhere. Kinda of a brownish-orange color with chunks of yeast all over the place. In fact, if anybody has seen the movie Strange Brew....you know when the dog starts drinking the beer from his dog dish, then they throw him a donught to get him away from the beer because it was their dad's last beer. Then they poured what was left from the dog dish into a glass? That's what this beer looks like. Maybe not as much chunky dog food, but looks pretty nasty nonetheless. Smells at least decent. Smells of wheat, maybe a hop somewhere. Tastes like wheat, coriander, maybe some citrus in there. A little pepper or some kind of spicyness. Kinda flat also. Not awful, but pretty lame. Don't even want to look at it with all those floating things. Naaa, I'll pass on this one.

GClarkage, Oct 22, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

My first attempt in not drinking a straight BMC lager and to ths day this beer still impresses me. One of the best Wit's I've had and even though its mass produced it still tastes great every time I have it. I love seeing my friends transitioning towards beers like this which have 10 X the taste of Bud or Bud Light.

oriolesfan4, Sep 10, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

InspectorBob, Nov 26, 2013
3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

The CANQuest (TM) had a notification from huey782 about Blue Moon in a CAN but since our trade had gone off and it was agreed that I should be able to find it locally, it took until now for me to tick it off (an allusion to a recent thread about traders and ticking), if you CAN dig it. Well, CAN you?

From the CAN: "Brewmaster's CAN". I did not mean to rip somebody off. That's like having a Mai Tai. You CAN have a Your Tai, I'm having My Tai. Same with Mylanta. If you want some, get your own, this is mine. Now I have to CANtact their brewmaster to see what he wants done with his CAN. "Blue Moon. Artfully Crafted. (Reg. TM)" Don't get me started on what one CAN legally get away with using a trademarked slogan! "Brewed with white wheat and oats, this Belgian-style ale features a crisp finish and the perfect combination of orange peel and coriander. Our Brewmaster's CAN protects the taste of Blue Moon so it is as fresh as it was when it left the brewery. Garnish with an orange and enjoy."

I CANnot decide which auditory quality of CANned beer I enjoy more - the "Glug, glug, glug" of the pour or the fizzing of the massive head as it falls like a quiche upon slamming the oven door. Call it better than a finger's worth of bone-white head with low retention. Color was a deeply cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose was both spicy and fruity, like an orange sprinkled liberally with black pepper. Nice! Mouthfeel was medium with an upfront taste of orange citrus. Finish was dry with the black pepper flavor noted on the nose. Honestly, this was pretty doggone tasty, especially on a hot summer afternoon. I probably would not want a steady diet of it, but after all of the crappy AALs that I have reviewed in a CAN, I don't relish the ongoing steady diet of them, either. I'd put some in the cooler, headed to the beach or somewhere warm.

Cue Frankie Blue Eyes, but with my modifications:

Blue Moon, I saw you sittin' in the cooler
Without a thought in my head, without a CAN of my own
Blue Moon, you knew just what I was there for
You heard me sayin' a prayer for
A CAN I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my hand will hold
I heard somebody whisper "please adore me"
And when I looked, my credit card had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer alone

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only CAN my hand will hold for the next few minutes
I heard somebody whisper "please adore me"
And when I looked, my credit card had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer sober

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer sober

woodychandler, Aug 07, 2010

corby112, Nov 22, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Appears a pale orange/gold with a small white head that quickly fades out. Tiny specks of lacing are left around the glass. I actually lined this up side by side with a Hoegaarden and this was transparent, while the Hoegaarden was hazy and a light yellow.
The smell is of orange peel and wheat and maybe a mild touch of coriander.
Taste is of the same aromas with a mild lemon tartness mixed in.
Mouthfeel is sweet, sticky, and thin. Lacks that dryness, spiciness, and true tartness of an authentic Belgian Wit.
Other than that, it was drinkable b/c there was nothing else on tap other than super swill. Sort of a micro/import wannabee's kind of drink.

weeare138, Feb 10, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours very dark for a wit - a light golden colour, tending to orange in the deeper bits. Cloudy with yeast though at least. Head is white, with very fine bubbles that coalesce and then dissipate, leaving only a collar of foam around the edges. Nice colour, but not very true to style.

Not a lot on the nose. Hint of light honey, a bit of yeast, but no rambunctious hit of citrus-coriander you get from the better wits. Just vaguely sweet, maybe just the minutest bit of candied orange creeps in, but I'm straining to pick it up. Not bad, but not great.

Taste is not too bad - nice initial sweet citrus character, which develops into a dry but sour wheat malt character. There's an unfortunate mineral water flavour on the mid palate, but it's only mild. Not bad, probably closer to a real wit than the smell and the appearance would have you believe. Mouthfeel is quite crisp, but with an underlying smoothness. Very pleasant.

Very drinkable beer, although one that left me a little unenthused. Quite pleasant for a hot day here in Northern California.

lacqueredmouse, Sep 26, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

orangesol, Mar 08, 2013
3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

On-tap at Chuck's in Syracuse.

The smell is a little unappealing, too sweet. The flavor, however, was surprisingly complex with berries, orange, and corriander. It's not dumbed down like you'd expect in a macro beer of any type. The body is a touch thick for a witbeer, but this really isn't a bad beer at all.

tempest, Apr 26, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured cloudy, deep golden in color with a slightly spicy/lemony aroma. Taste is rather simple with moderate body, soft and creamy with a slightly wheat twang. goes down smooth and leaves a refreshing aftertaste that lingers. It was an easy got to beer for lunch today since I was out and my liver is demolished from a massive session of barleywine.

barleywinefiend, Aug 03, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Pours a cloudy medium straw yellow in color with some orange highlights and moderate to heavy amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a two finger tall dense light off-white head that slowly reduces to thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a medium sized thick patch and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to heavy amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of wheat and some lighter notes of orange citrus.

T: Similar to the smell, the taste of the beer has moderate wheat flavors with some lighter notes of orange. Very light notes of spices in the finish.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Very subtle hints of dryness in the finish.

O: Extremely easy to drink and sessionable - this is a great gateway beer for introducing folks to a different style than BMC American Adjunct Lagers. Enjoyable and refreshing.

dbrauneis, Nov 03, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

BB 30/06/2012, served chilled in a Hapkin’s stemmed bulb glass.

A: cloudy light orange in colour, coming with a fast dissipating white foamy head and light carbonation.
S: nice orangey aroma and faint traces of coriander seeds spring to mind, plus a touch of pear-y esters; wheat malts are not as pronounced as many Belgian counterparts, and neither is the spicy/herbal part.
T: sour-sweet wheat-ish malts and mixed tropical fruits are underlined by a liquidy-sugary sweetness upfront, followed by a lightly chewy palate of minerals and gritty malts, finishing lightly dry.
M&D: as the beer is approaching the BB date, I suppose the freshness, or the lack of it, plays a part in an overall mediocre performance. Spiciness and fruity undertones are both weak, making me feel that this perhaps can be classified as “American Wheat Ale” instead of the Belgian style Witbier? Well, classification is academic only, but I wouldn’t mind trying it again if it was fresher next time.

wl0307, May 14, 2012
3.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, twist off top. Pours a dull soft light brownish orange color, cloudy and just a bit of lacing. Nose is a bit unpleasant, sort of a sharp solventy smell. Head dissolves to a tiny bubble sheen. Notes of yeast,spice, coriander, a hint of soap, cream cycle ice cream pop. So so wit, its so widely available, probably a good beginner beer to turn a newbie on to. I try to avoid Coors products, cuz of their politics...I'll continue to avoid this one in the future

Billolick, Jun 01, 2004

Georgiabeer, May 11, 2014
3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

A tumbler glass served at the local Red Robin. The orange accompanying the glass was promptly disposed off.

A: The ale is predictably cloudy, with a darker, fuller color than most witbiers. A finger plus of white head coated the top of the glass and lingered throughout the drink.

S: The aroma is spicy, bitter orange peel and coriander mix with tart wheat. Very refreshing but the strength of the nose lacks compared to many other witbiers.

T: The ale has a relaxed flavor, full of spiciness. Coriander zest imparts a peppery flavor that mixes with orange peel to create a sweet 'n bitter combo. The wheat malt is refreshingly tart, just enough to register without overdoing it. This is a subtle, Americanized wit, good but not off the charts.

M: The mouthfeel runs the gamut, pumping out a lot of flavor in a short period of time.

D: The abv is low and the flavor is distinct enough that I could get through a pint or two.

akorsak, Feb 10, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

duceswild, Mar 15, 2012
3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

According to the bottle label, it's made by Molson in Toronto. So then why don't they slap an IMPORTED sticker onto the label for the states market? One would think that would boost its appeal. Well, whatever. I'm ready to start this review:

It's a cloudy yellowish-orange in color with an average head. There's some fruit in the aroma, mostly the orange that this beer is brewed with. Parsley make its way through. The taste is biscuity, combined with spice. Hops are detectable, and pull through for balance. Orange and oatmeal flavors are noticed, with a superb finish.

As typical of North Americans, Blue Moon suggest you garnish it with an orange slice. I avoided that temptation, and does one really need to? The flavor was complex enough to keep me going. Maybe they want us to flavor their beer so it tastes like Tang. Weird.

DoubleJ, Apr 13, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a clouded orange-brown brew.

Smell is strong yeast and clear coriander scent; faint banana and a sour scent like sourdough bread.

Taste is sweet and doughy with a biscuit flavor. Spicy flavors that that prickle the tongue, coriander is there. Mild bitterness in the aftertaste, Golding hops maybe?

Mouthfeel is good if maybe a bit highly carbonated.

Drinkability is good; not my first choice but I would pick this over any Bud-Miller-Coors available.

Zorro, Nov 12, 2004
3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours with a three-finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Light cloudy amber color with some yeast left in the bottle. Light bodied and light carbonation. Nose is wheat. Starts with some sweetness, some cloves and a clean finish. Nice. $5.74 for a 6-pack of 12oz from Super Walmart Concord, NH. Label has it brewed by Blue Moon Brewing Co.

jdhilt, Aug 14, 2005

ejimhof, Nov 23, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured into Town Hall Weizen glass

Pours 1 finger of creamy white head. Fairly good retention, but no lace. Color is a very hazed dull orange sunset. A ton of carbonation bubbles rush to the top.

Aroma: Very crisp spices, orange peel, coriander, cloves, wheat.

Taste: Well, the spices hit up front nice right away, but then they fade instantly. The orange peel and coriander are good for about a second before they fade. Then it is just a dull wheat flavor finishing through.

Mouthfeel: Extremely crisp, a little bit smooth, and slightly refreshing. Light to medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends with sticky bland aftertaste.

Overall, this beer isn't all that bad. I like the spices up front but not how they die of so quick. I can see myself drinking this in the right place and time. Not something I would obviously seek out though. It is somewhat drinkable, but way too over-carbonated for me

mothman, Oct 28, 2009