Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,945 | Reviews: 1,569
3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

The beer pours a cloudy gold color with a thin white head. The aroma is weak, but has the wit smell to it; fruity yeast and wheat scents. The taste is also a bit tame, but has all the qualities of a wit. It is sweet with pale wheat malts and that wit yeast. It is refreshing and goes down with ease. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This was a decent wit, but fails to reach the level of a true Belgian style.

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a large white head. The aroma is manly made up of wheat with a little bit of coriander and pepper, as well as a little bit of orange peel. The flavor has a mix of coriander and orange peel, with some wheat thrown in as well. Thin mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Nothing too exciting, but not too bad.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

2.91/5  rDev -14.4%

Consumed in October 2004 from a bottle purchased at Trader Joes.
Ahhhh, it figures; a Coors product. I have had a few of these and never was impressed and now the true light comes out. I had one left from the six pack, which is actually kinda old. Maybe 8 months kinda old. But, seeing that it is a Coors product, I don't think it's going to make a difference. Pours with a small head that is gone in a flash. Zero, zilch, nil lacing anywhere. Kinda of a brownish-orange color with chunks of yeast all over the place. In fact, if anybody has seen the movie Strange Brew....you know when the dog starts drinking the beer from his dog dish, then they throw him a donught to get him away from the beer because it was their dad's last beer. Then they poured what was left from the dog dish into a glass? That's what this beer looks like. Maybe not as much chunky dog food, but looks pretty nasty nonetheless. Smells at least decent. Smells of wheat, maybe a hop somewhere. Tastes like wheat, coriander, maybe some citrus in there. A little pepper or some kind of spicyness. Kinda flat also. Not awful, but pretty lame. Don't even want to look at it with all those floating things. Naaa, I'll pass on this one.

3.42/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours into my wine glass with a frothy, quarter finger thick, large bubbled off-white colored head. The beer is a hazy, amber-gold color. The aroma smells of grassy coriander with a backdrop of citrus that becomes more prominent as I take subsequent draughts of the aroma. As the beer warms up the aroma begins to remind me of watered down orange juice.

Lightly sweet tasting with lots of coriander flavors, a touch of grassy grain and some cracker like malt notes. The citrus flavors are noticeable up front and move to a prickly, carbonic tasting, peppery carbonation that is pretty substantial. The carbonation is actually a bit too much, but some aggressive swirling brings it down to a more manageable level. Somehow the citrus character here starts to become more of a washed out orange juice like flavor than a bright citrus oil note that I would prefer. This is pretty light bodied, enough so that the initial carbonation made it seem a bit too fizzy.

Not bad, but seems fairly boring for a Wit. I was honestly expecting a bit more from this beer; more fermentation complexity would definitely be appreciated.

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Pours a cloudy medium straw yellow in color with some orange highlights and moderate to heavy amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a two finger tall dense light off-white head that slowly reduces to thin film covering the majority of the surface of the beer with a medium sized thick patch and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to heavy amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of wheat and some lighter notes of orange citrus.

T: Similar to the smell, the taste of the beer has moderate wheat flavors with some lighter notes of orange. Very light notes of spices in the finish.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Very subtle hints of dryness in the finish.

O: Extremely easy to drink and sessionable - this is a great gateway beer for introducing folks to a different style than BMC American Adjunct Lagers. Enjoyable and refreshing.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

12 oz. bottle, from Seagate Liquors in Huntington Beach, CA,

A: Pours a cloudy orange, nice thick head, with good retention in a pint glass, pretty good looking witbier, darker than usual, though.

S: Nice scent of fresh oranges and some spice, some acidity present as well.

T: A little on the weak side for what I've experienced in other wits, but still a good pronounced orange flavour. Missing some of the bitter punch from the coriander, I expect in a quality wit, though, but overall, not bad.

M: Quenching acidity, spritziness, make for a refreshing mouthfeel and an easy-drinking beer.

T: A bit pedestrian when compared to the other great wits I've had in my life, but still good, would definitely have again if offered, one of the better "psuedo-micros" I've had from BMC.

2.53/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is now available in the UK, the big supermarket chain called TESCO has it on it's shelves. I thought I'd buy one because I've had it on tap in the US and wanted to see if it was better in a bottle.

Poured into a 'Good People' glass: the 355ml bottle produced the same murky moody looking dishwater colouring, the head although wispy and thin it was better than the tap version I had.

Almost odourless in the smelling stakes, some weak wheat/corny hints but nothing much at all really.

The flavours were also fairly weak as well, a fizzy watery mess to be honest, no true Belgian feel to it at all.

Not impressed one iota. Can't believe my scores given for the on-tap version were so kind.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into Town Hall Weizen glass

Pours 1 finger of creamy white head. Fairly good retention, but no lace. Color is a very hazed dull orange sunset. A ton of carbonation bubbles rush to the top.

Aroma: Very crisp spices, orange peel, coriander, cloves, wheat.

Taste: Well, the spices hit up front nice right away, but then they fade instantly. The orange peel and coriander are good for about a second before they fade. Then it is just a dull wheat flavor finishing through.

Mouthfeel: Extremely crisp, a little bit smooth, and slightly refreshing. Light to medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends with sticky bland aftertaste.

Overall, this beer isn't all that bad. I like the spices up front but not how they die of so quick. I can see myself drinking this in the right place and time. Not something I would obviously seek out though. It is somewhat drinkable, but way too over-carbonated for me

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

The CANQuest (TM) had a notification from huey782 about Blue Moon in a CAN but since our trade had gone off and it was agreed that I should be able to find it locally, it took until now for me to tick it off (an allusion to a recent thread about traders and ticking), if you CAN dig it. Well, CAN you?

From the CAN: "Brewmaster's CAN". I did not mean to rip somebody off. That's like having a Mai Tai. You CAN have a Your Tai, I'm having My Tai. Same with Mylanta. If you want some, get your own, this is mine. Now I have to CANtact their brewmaster to see what he wants done with his CAN. "Blue Moon. Artfully Crafted. (Reg. TM)" Don't get me started on what one CAN legally get away with using a trademarked slogan! "Brewed with white wheat and oats, this Belgian-style ale features a crisp finish and the perfect combination of orange peel and coriander. Our Brewmaster's CAN protects the taste of Blue Moon so it is as fresh as it was when it left the brewery. Garnish with an orange and enjoy."

I CANnot decide which auditory quality of CANned beer I enjoy more - the "Glug, glug, glug" of the pour or the fizzing of the massive head as it falls like a quiche upon slamming the oven door. Call it better than a finger's worth of bone-white head with low retention. Color was a deeply cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose was both spicy and fruity, like an orange sprinkled liberally with black pepper. Nice! Mouthfeel was medium with an upfront taste of orange citrus. Finish was dry with the black pepper flavor noted on the nose. Honestly, this was pretty doggone tasty, especially on a hot summer afternoon. I probably would not want a steady diet of it, but after all of the crappy AALs that I have reviewed in a CAN, I don't relish the ongoing steady diet of them, either. I'd put some in the cooler, headed to the beach or somewhere warm.

Cue Frankie Blue Eyes, but with my modifications:

Blue Moon, I saw you sittin' in the cooler
Without a thought in my head, without a CAN of my own
Blue Moon, you knew just what I was there for
You heard me sayin' a prayer for
A CAN I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my hand will hold
I heard somebody whisper "please adore me"
And when I looked, my credit card had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer alone

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only CAN my hand will hold for the next few minutes
I heard somebody whisper "please adore me"
And when I looked, my credit card had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer sober

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer sober

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, twist off top. Pours a dull soft light brownish orange color, cloudy and just a bit of lacing. Nose is a bit unpleasant, sort of a sharp solventy smell. Head dissolves to a tiny bubble sheen. Notes of yeast,spice, coriander, a hint of soap, cream cycle ice cream pop. So so wit, its so widely available, probably a good beginner beer to turn a newbie on to. I try to avoid Coors products, cuz of their politics...I'll continue to avoid this one in the future

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Served in a pint glass, the beer is a hazy light orange, with a 1/2 finger white head that fades quickly leaving behind a thin layer of white foam on top. There is some nice lacing initially, but it fades quickly.

S: Pretty closed, some light fruit, mostly lemon, wheat, and a little bit of clove and other spices.

T: Very zesty, orange and lemon, with a decent amount of spices. Cloves and coriander are present as well as some wheat and a light malt bill.

M: Light to medium bodied with a good bit of carbonation. Crisp and pretty refreshing.

O: It was ok. Probably one of the best beers that Coors makes, but its not saying much. There will probably always be something available that I would prefer to drink.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

On-tap at Chuck's in Syracuse.

The smell is a little unappealing, too sweet. The flavor, however, was surprisingly complex with berries, orange, and corriander. It's not dumbed down like you'd expect in a macro beer of any type. The body is a touch thick for a witbeer, but this really isn't a bad beer at all.

3.36/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

LOOK: Cloudy golden orange color with a small white head that recedes to a ring. Looks like an unfiltered wit.

SMELL: Wheat, straw and a bit of orange citrus.

TASTE: Wheat malt and orange peel. A bit tangy with a note of Belgian yeast. Touch of clove and small spice. Little to no bitterness or hop flavor, and remains true to the style in that regard. Even balance. Mild and inoffensive, pretty citrusy.

FEEL: Light to medium bodied and wel carbonated. Easy drinking with lingering finish of citrus and dry spice.

OVERALL: A decent wit, and a gateway beer for many young beer drinkers to get into craft beer. Not bad for what it is, and is an easy drinker.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Appears a pale orange/gold with a small white head that quickly fades out. Tiny specks of lacing are left around the glass. I actually lined this up side by side with a Hoegaarden and this was transparent, while the Hoegaarden was hazy and a light yellow.
The smell is of orange peel and wheat and maybe a mild touch of coriander.
Taste is of the same aromas with a mild lemon tartness mixed in.
Mouthfeel is sweet, sticky, and thin. Lacks that dryness, spiciness, and true tartness of an authentic Belgian Wit.
Other than that, it was drinkable b/c there was nothing else on tap other than super swill. Sort of a micro/import wannabee's kind of drink.

3.67/5  rDev +7.9%

According to the bottle label, it's made by Molson in Toronto. So then why don't they slap an IMPORTED sticker onto the label for the states market? One would think that would boost its appeal. Well, whatever. I'm ready to start this review:

It's a cloudy yellowish-orange in color with an average head. There's some fruit in the aroma, mostly the orange that this beer is brewed with. Parsley make its way through. The taste is biscuity, combined with spice. Hops are detectable, and pull through for balance. Orange and oatmeal flavors are noticed, with a superb finish.

As typical of North Americans, Blue Moon suggest you garnish it with an orange slice. I avoided that temptation, and does one really need to? The flavor was complex enough to keep me going. Maybe they want us to flavor their beer so it tastes like Tang. Weird.

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company