Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,543 | Hads: 6,242
3.02/5  rDev -12%

Two pint glasses for price of one at Ground Round. Thin film and collar supported by beading - heads never made it to the table from the tap.

Unfiltered turbid pale apricot color. The citrus, and spice, witbier aroma got my taste buds salvating.

I hung the lemon wedge alongside of another on the second glass. Belgium yeast and lactic acid contribute to the aroma.

According to "Sky and Telescope"*, the traditional definition of a Blue Moon is the third Full Moon in a season which has four Full Moons. Compilers of almanacs such as the Maine Farmer's Almanac would use a coloured symbol to denote this third Full Moon, hence the name.

Starts with fruit taste , looses interest with a thin mouthfeel and water middle although helped by a supporting CO2 texture and some tartness (carbondated water) ending with lactic acid and dry pucker on the back of the tongue and esophagus. Hops lost in this lactic aftertaste.

Mostly clean tasting spicey fruit flavors keep you drinking it. But each mouthful gives the same old same old disappointing thought of some other more desirable Belgium beers. Second glass sat getting warm and flat as the food finally reached the table.

Pairs with cod fish but not as well with a rueben sandwitch.
I would drink this ONCE in a Blue Moon but never twice!

*http://www.obliquity.com/astro/seasonal.html (1,358 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -6.1%

On tap at Old Chicago as part of Spring mini tour. Cloudy pour, with a decent sized head. Served with an orange as seems to be the trendy thing to do. To avoid scurvy I decided to eat the orange, but it didn't make it in my beer. Taste is not bad for a wit - hints of coriander and wheat. Enjoyable brew, but I wish people didn't call it a microbrew! (350 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +6.4%

A tug on the handle unleashed a cloudy, golden brew with a nice head of good retention.

The smell reminds me of blueberry. Maybe it is subliminal being "Blue Moon," but it smells blue. Wheat and sweetness with citrus and non citrus fruit aspects.

The taste is pretty decent. Fresh, wet mouthfeel. Blue flavors abound. Nary a hint of bitterness. Mostly sweet and wheat beer tones. Some apple and orange. Juicy and refreshing. I can drink these all day in the summertime. Taken for what it is, this one is a sure winner when faced with the common drab of beer cooler boredom. I have never had a bad one off the tap which is where I usually come into contact with this beer. Not bad. (687 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +10.2%

Pale orangish-straw color, lots of haziness and cloudiness. Nice quarter inch head. Perfumy, citrusy, somewhat sweet nose. Lots of wheat flavor, moderately sweet in the front. Coriander is light, as is the bitter orange peel. Fair amount of yeastiness at the finish. Body is a tad watery and light.

I find this a better beer than most people do, even better than some genuine Belgians like Sterkens. It's not my favorite wit but it's a quite drinkable. (455 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +9.9%

I drink this beer a lot when I go out for pizza or to hear a band. Its much better on tap than from a bottle but for a beer made by a major American brewer its pretty good. I also like the orange wedge with it even if some beer connoisseurs kinda look down on that.
It pours a yellow that almost looks orange with a average head that quickly dissipated.Smells of wheat and citrus but the aroma is very weak Taste is mild and smooth, of wheat and orange (I have a orange slice in it) and just a hint of spice. Not much of a after taste with this one and its yet to give me a headache the next morning no matter how many Ive downed.
I paid $1.75 a glass (653 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +16.9%

This was my introduction to the witbier style when a waitress recommended this. Finally got a chance to go back there and have some again with reviews in mind.

With most witbiers, it pours a very cloudy pale amber gold. Very small 1/4" white head that disapppated quickly with little to no lace. The nose is fantastic - sweet, floral, citrus. The nose carries to the taste on the tongue, with a very slight spiciness (clove?) playing off the citrus, with orange more discernable. Its light and noticiably sweet on the throat...a very drinkable witbier.

Note - I have had this both from tap and bottle and, IMHO, there is a very discernable difference. Tap is much better if you can get it. (695 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +11.4%

Hard to believe this is a Coors product. Also hard to believe I've never reviewed it as this is usually my "go to beer" when presented with the standard BMC lineup that so many sports bars, etc carry. Pours a murky orange amber. Scent is very fruity, slightly yeasty. Taste is very very smooth, lots of orange and corriander. Creamy in a Dreamsickle kinda way. If not consumed fresh though it loses most of its redeeming characteristics. I've also found that a lot of places will overcarbonate this stuff or maybe it's just gotten that way from being around too long in their systems. Either way, a very drinkable beer from one of the big boys. When grading for adhereance to the style though, I'd probably give it a C. (719 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +4.1%

Cloudy light orange color. Head renetion is ok. Starts ok, about one finger and then settles to a lace around the glass. Smells like lemon, coriander, and some wheat malt. No aroma too strong. Taste is average for the style. Coriander, orange peel, and some wheat malts balance well. A small amount of hops. Everything is there, but kind of weak. Medium bodied. Very tasty for a Coors product. (393 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap, 23 oz draft at Krieger’s served with an orange slice. Sort-of a cloudy dark yellow, bordering bright orange hue, decent white head. An aroma of wheat, coriander and some lemon peel. Medium in body; delicately creamy, hints of wheat, lemon and orange peel up front, sweet malts and an on-going grainy presence. Zesty hops with some yeasty/lightly peppered tastings. Imagine that – a decent offering, from one of the big 3, a good fall-back beer, pretty consistent and enjoyable for the style. (501 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +15.7%

This is a suprinsingly solid offering from Coors. I'm in shock!

Pours an orange tinged light gold with a slim white head that dissapated quickly into absolutely nothing. Nose is nice, spicy, notes of pepper and hops and a slightly fruity character. Taste follows the nose, though the spice really takes over. Body is quite full and has a nice bite from carbonation. Finish is a bit dry with very little aftertaste.

I'm impressed, I never would have guessed this was from Coors.

Slàinte! (496 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +9.6%

My first wheat beer of any complexion. Poured an interesting hazy orange color with creamy head that dissipated pretty quickly. Beer appears thick and smooth and is opaque in the glass.

The smell is interesting but not complex...there are strong accents of lemon and other funky citrus. Taste has a very small amount of spice, complementing the citrus nicely. The aftertaste, however, is slightly off-putting.

Repeated sips warm me up to the beer more, and the mouthfeel is smooth and nice, and despite the apparent "thickness" of the beer, it isn't terribly filling.

Pretty good overall. I"ll have to try others in this style to compare. (647 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%

On tap at Chili’s restaurant – Excellent !! Even with that damn slice of orange stick on the glass – good thing they didn’t chuck it into the beer. (I’ve semi-converted the wife-zilla – she’s drinking the Boulevard Wheats and liking them – but she squirts the damn lemon into it ).

Anyway, the 22oz bomber pour was a hazy amber, but the orange slice seemed to kill the head quickly. No matter, the Wit was still smooth, well balanced between the weat malts and citrus hops. Not sure if the orange aroma was from the beer or the slice. Very nice texture – could drink these all night. Oops, think I did. Have to say, a good *micro* from a *macro*. (659 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -2.3%

Final beer in my review of Molson-Coors beers, pre-merger, round 1. I probably should have had this one first. From notes from previous night.

Appearance: Hazy pale gold (tonight as I type and have another it looks orangish when held to the light). Decent fluffy white head, it lingered for a bit then left. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Fruity/citrusy (orange and lemon). Almost like a kitchen floor or countertop cleaner. A little hops noticeable.

Taste: Citrus fruits, lemon, orange, a little sweet, yet there is a good balace of hop/malt.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium bodied, slightly carbonated.

Drinkability: Last night after drinking macros this was sweet nectar. I waited to tonight to number it, and it is good, but not great. I have not had any other witbiers in recent memory, but I would hope that this is not the best the style has to offer. I couldn't have more than one last night, and I don't know if I'll purchase this one again after the 6-pack is gone.

NOTE: Ratings may be adjusted when I have more of the style to compare to. For now I am comparing it to wheat beers I have had (I know, probably a mistake, but this is how I see it). (1,162 characters)

3.43/5  rDev 0%

This brew surprised me. I bought it knowing full well it is a coors product. This meant I was expecting very little. Well I was pleasantly surprised by this brew. A great summertime brew while barbecuing. Believe it or not I would buy this one again! Shame that Coors cant make their other products like this! (309 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Well the choice between a draw of Coors Light or a draw of Blue Moon was more than enough to try the latter for the first time. And I must say I was quite surprised.

Pours nice, very hazy with a tight, white head and nice lacing.

Doesn't smell much different from a macro lager, oddly. There's just the slightest hint of wheat, but that was it. Very faint smell.

Tastes pretty darn good, if a little bland for a wheat. Like wheatmalt upfront with only a bit of spice, citrus and orange peel in the back fading into a swet malt. Horrible aftertaste of Coors badness costs this beer some points.

I get the same stomach cramps I do from Bud and Coors from drinking this beer. Certainly not a good session ale. (718 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -2.3%

An old-standby from college.
Pours a cloudy, hazy gold with a thick white head that disappears almost immediately.
Aroma is citrus and lemon, but there are also some off notes in there that smell a little sour, almost like socks.
Taste is also extremely crisp and citric, with an almost astringent mouthfeel. Some bannana and spice notes in there as well.
A relatively drinkable lighter brew that is widely available and almost Not a fine example of the style, but I like to buy a case of this when I have macro drinkers over to watch a game or for a party. It's not too expensive, and people seem to like it and think of it as a micro. Nicely done, Coors. (661 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Another beer left in my fridge. I have to try and keep off the good beers till my drinking buddy returns from work related leave. This beer pours a light peachy color with a 2 finger head that falls to a small coating over top of the beer. The nose is oriander orangey, but with a slightly creamy tone, reminding me of a orange cream popsicle. The flavor is much the same as the nose, but with a slightly wheaty undertone in there. The feel is moderate to thick, somewhat creamy. Overall, not bad for a beer made by BMC. It was always my fall back beer before I went off the deep end 5 months ago, and it is still not bad. Definately not something I will keep in my fridge, but I won't turn my nose up when people leave it behind in my fridge. (743 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%

Surprisingly decent, courtesy on tap in Orlando at Underground Bluz. Smooth enough thought it was a micro. Nice wheaty appearance, good aroma, smeet though citrusy. Refreshing carbonation. Medium of the road mouthfeel. Coors? Did they buy this brewery? (252 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%

LOTS of carbonation! I bought a six-pack, drove two blocks over nice road, opened the bottle, and foam poured out all over my jeans. Sheesh. The appearance of Blue Moon is as one would expect from an unfiltered Wheat Ale, a pale yellow that is quite cloudy. Some lacing and an aroma that is lightly citrusy with a dash of wheat and nutmeg. Medium body, somewhat sweet with a creamy malt middle and little hops. Pepper and spice dominate, light yeast and some corn last to the nice dry finish. Perfect for people who say they don't like beer, but I miss the hops. (562 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +9.6%

A suprisingly good product from Coors. I had this one for 2 bucks a pint at the local watering hole and it was good stuff. It poured a cloudy gold color with a very nice head and nice lace was left on my glass. The beer did not have much smell but it did have was a very inviting, light and airy aroma of malt and corriander. I thought the flavor was great and very drinkable with its sweet front end that was tasty and not cloying at all. The beer was balanced out nicely with a small hop presence and a nice citrus twang. Overall, I'm impressed and would gladly order this one again. (585 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +17.2%

appearance: cloudy dark golden yellow with a white head. the head tends to stay around for a while, but there is very little lacing.
smell: hops, lemon, a little orange, and some spice...coriander?
taste: fairly complex but similar to smell, lemon is pretty noticable, along with that spice, and the bitterness of hops seems to be pretty noticable in the aftertaste. definitely not overly bitter, just noticable.
mouthfeel: good carbonation level, not too much or too little, but the beer seems a little thin. feels clean and refreshing.
drinkability: i could definitely drink this all night.

this is a good beer and definitely worth trying, the price makes it a beer that i will buy pretty often. (704 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've never seen this beer in the Houston area so I just had to pick it up while in San Antonio. Belgian White's appearance is a hazy golden orange with a nice foamy head. The aroma is of wheat with a zesty lemon smell. Taste is similar to the aroma, wheat with a lemon taste. The mouthfeel is crisp and assertive. Drinkability is very good. A rare beer by one of the big 3 that I recommend to all. (397 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -21.9%

12 oz bottle in a tall pilsner glass

This beer poured light yellow and cloudy with a 1 inch frothy dense head that disappeared a little on the quick side and left slight lacing.

Smell was interesting, lemony and yeasty, but with a very slight musty-ness to it.

Taste was a little off. Hints of lemon and corriander, but on the whole I found this beer to be rather bland.

Slight of body and medium in carbonation. Might be good on a hot day when you want to drink something fast, but not much here to savor.

I'll pass and look for something better. (562 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -21%

Thought this was something different, did not know it was a commercial beer. Came in a twist off bottle, I should have known, poured a really hazy dirty blond with minimal head that quickly dissipated.
The smell is musky with a sweet background.
The taste is a musky sweet carbonated beer that is the taste of carbonation more so than sweetness inspiring the after taste.
The mouthfeel is also musky with an undetermined sweetness and the carbonation does not even or smooth out.
The drinkability is not good and the after taste has a lingering musky sweet taste that is not desirable for me cause I know better. (619 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Blue Moon Belgian White

found a 6er in the back of a friends fridge.

Appearance- yellow/ orange and cloudy. A decent white frothy head.
Smell- very sweet malt.
Taste- sweet biscuit malt with a slight watery wheat flavor.not bad.
Mouthfeel- watery and sugary sweet.

Overall- a decent beer. Very surprising knowing its from Coors?! I recommend if given 1 but don't buy it. (383 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company