Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,557 | Hads: 6,364
3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

Ok first time I have seen this brew up here in Salem, Oregon so here goes.
Bought in the 12 oz brown long neck.
Its a nice enough beer to look at hazy straw gold..but the head is pretty small and goes fast..some splotchy lace left on glass sides.
for a "wit" the aroma is average at best..theres none of the expected spiciness here..just nice malts ..and a faint banana pudding odor.
Again the taste is inoffensive but not very exciting.its mainly malts..though I dodetect some VERY faint coriander.
Pretty average on the palte..nothing out of the ordinary.
For all kits faults its still quite quaffable..but if you want an American interpretation of a wheat..try New Belgiums Sunshine Beer

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow-brown with considerable suspended sediment. The large white head unfortunately retains quite poorly, completely disappearing in a minute or so.

Aroma: Yeast is quite prominent in the aroma, as well as strong wheat malts, which together deliver a bready character.

Taste: Opens with a slightly lemony note and faint cloves. Solid, slightly tart wheat notes carry the taste throughout. Finishes with a mildly sweet note and a faint bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Soft and fairly full, with a slight sting of carbonation.

Drinkability: A passable summer beer, but for the style, its nowhere near the quality of Celis White or the superb Hoegarden. Far better than most Coors' products, but much better Wits can be had as well.

2.53/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Since I was not in Mass, I had a rather poor selection of beer at my local Stop n Shop. The most interesting thing tonight looked like this Blue Moon Belgian White. Since I found out it was from Coors, I wasn't expecting much. I wafted the brew once opened, it was reminiscent of Coors Light, having a very 'macrobrew' stench. It was smoother than other Coors beers (as a white beer should be), but just seemed like a Coors Light clone with a little 'unfiltered' taste mixed in. All in all, I was not too impressed.

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a hazy golden color with a tall white head that fades into a creamy lace. Nose is soft biscuity malts along with some fresh wheat and a bit of a lemon twang. Light in body with a rather strong active carbonation. Taste begins sweet with a touch of candied sugar followed by some yeasty bread dough and the same lemon twang that was present in the aroma. Not a bad beer by any means but also not something I’m likely to buy again anytime soon.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

not a bad brew considering coors pumps this one out, but still has work that needs to be done on it. it pours an almost too hazy yellow colour, with a surpisingly small head. the smell is quite faint, with some citrus and spice. average, at best. a moderate wheat flavour is present at first but an over spiced flavour quickly takes over and dominates the rest, including the citrus flavours typical of this style. the proper flavours are here but the balance is way off. this one is relatively easy drinking, but will usually only be found in places where there are better selections available. i remember this one being better pre-coors.

2.65/5  rDev -22.1%

Twist top brown 12 oz. bottle with a date code: OCT10 10243Q 04, which I’m going to assume means best by Oct. 10th, 2004. I’m at a loss as to why they need to be cryptic.
Aroma: Some mild spices, maybe a touch of coriander and a citric, possibly orange peel note. The coriander started to come out a bit more as it warmed.
Appearance: A fast rising white head of large bubbles that promised not to stay around long, and kept its promise. No lacing and a hazy dark yellow color.
Flavor: Heavy on the coriander and a bit of a honey taste, both true to style. Unfortunately, that’s really all there is. I’m not getting any of the wheat flavors, and there is none of the sour lactic taste I enjoy in witbiers.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with fizzy carbonation and a fairly dry finish.
Overall Impression: I’m a wit fan, and while this may be a “gateway” wit to draw in people to the style, I’m afraid it will just tell them “a wit is just a beer with some coriander”. While this beer isn’t too far from style, it just lacks, for lack of a term; soul. It just came across as a bit watery and one sided, and that side was coriander. Coriander is a tough ingredient. I’m thinking I got a fairly fresh sample, and if it aged a bit, the coriander would fade a bit. It’s also a bit sweet, which draws away from the “refreshing” aspects I look for with the style, which hurts drinkability. Not a bad beer, but not a really good one either.

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, twist off top. Pours a dull soft light brownish orange color, cloudy and just a bit of lacing. Nose is a bit unpleasant, sort of a sharp solventy smell. Head dissolves to a tiny bubble sheen. Notes of yeast,spice, coriander, a hint of soap, cream cycle ice cream pop. So so wit, its so widely available, probably a good beginner beer to turn a newbie on to. I try to avoid Coors products, cuz of their politics...I'll continue to avoid this one in the future

4.4/5  rDev +29.4%

Holy cow, what a shocker this was. Picked it up just to review another beer and went back for more. Pours a cloudy honey gold with a froth head that became a monster. The smell is very citrusy, lemons honey with a hop tone. The taste is impressive, could really feel a balance of apricots, lemon and hops that grabbed hold of my taste buds and wouldn't let go. Feels warm and inviting in the mouth. This has become a staple in the fridge and who would have thought from Coors.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

I was offered an orange slice with this tap! Normally it's a lemon. Either way, I typically don't partake.

Poured hazy gold to slightly orange color. The head was thin but the sheathing action was consistent. Somewhat of a yeasty aroma... nothing else jumped out at me. A mild astringency and graininess in the flavor. This is an adequate thirst killer. The light mouth coating in the finish was not unpleasant.

I'd have to call it my favorite Coors product, but what else do they have widely available?

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%

The beer poured just as a Wit should. A cloudy golden color with a very ample white head. I wish my wits would pour like this. The head retention was quite good and it left a nice lace on the side of the glass.

The aroma of this beer did not match its appearance. I could get a hint of honey but no citrus or other aromas. The hops were not present either.

The flavor was NOT complex. I could not detect any citrus or any other additive. There is some malt sweetness and no hops. To bad this tastes more like a Coors than a Hoegaarden. I really, REALLY wanted to give this beer a good score after I saw it in the glass.

The mouthfeel is very nice. It is approaching a medium body and the carbonation played with the roof of my mouth.

It has the look and mouthfeel of a great wit. Now all they need to do is put some taste to go along with the rest to have a damn nice beer. I hope that Coors will keep trying to make a better beer.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Gauzy yellow-amber with a bone white head that looks soft and doesn't leave any lace. Beer color: nailed it. Head/lace: missed nail, hit thumb. The nose has a trace amount of Belgian yeastiness. It's spicy-earthy, but a musty graininess is still evident. Not bad, not good.

The flavor doesn't cut it. The beer tastes like a macro lager that is trying desperately to be something else, namely a Belgian wit. I'm having a hard time mustering up the enthusiasm to break this down. Let's just say that it's a grain-like malty, slightly sour, mildly sweet beer with the suggestion of spice. The body/mouthfeel is average at best. On a good note, it doesn't lose focus at the end of the mouthful or at the end of the bottle.

Blue Moon isn't offensive, but that's hardly a recommendation. I will say that it's the best Coors product--and maybe even the best BMC product--that I've had yet.

2.39/5  rDev -29.7%

White Ale's are my favorite beer, and this is far from the best I've ever had. Goes down smooth enough, but has an odd after taste. I couldn't even finish the six pack, the taste just got worse and worse. Your better off with a Hoegaarden or Sam Adams White for your money.

2.26/5  rDev -33.5%

It poured a golden, cloudy amber with a nice white head and decent lacing.

The smell was citrusy and piney with a little bit of malt.

The flavor was citrusy and a little like cantaloupe. It has a weird artificial taste in the background, almost like a rubber taste you might get from chewing on a red rubber washer. Not enough of that wierd taste to ruin it, but enough to make you wonder.

The mouthfeel was mellow, not too carbonated or harsh. But that damn rubber taste lingers.

This might be a good transition beer for macro-swillers, but it's not that great compared to the style. It's drinkable, but not enjoyable.

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

It certainly reminds me of a wit, but it doesn't quite deliver. Thinner, weaker, taste and smell are less profound. Certainly drinkable, and better than the standard fare. Reminds me some of Michelob hefe. Good for what it is, but a rather pale imitation compared to the real thing. Seek out Allagash white, Hoogarden, or Unibroue Blanche De Chambly instead.

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

This was about the third time for me trying this brew. It had to grow on me... I guess it was really the style that had to grow on me. The apperance was pretty good. It had a small white head that left minimal lace on the glass. The color was straw and very hazy. I could not see through this beer.

The smell was spicy and sweet.

The taste was just like the smell. It was a pretty spicy brew with sweet highlights to balance the brew.

Over all a very drinkable and fairly cheap brew.

3.27/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz bottle from a sixer that a guest brought when we hosted dinner. Thanks, Scott...

Hard-poured into a pint glass, formed 1/2" of slightly off-white head over a cloudy honey-hued brew which has floaties (which was my fault, not expecting a Coors product to be unfiltered). Head didn't last very long, and there wasn't much lacing either. Light malty/yeasty aroma, and the taste is pretty much like what I would expect a watered down white from most micros would taste like, very thin in the mouth. Have to give it high marks for drinkability, would certainly go down the hatch on those nice summer days that I wish would find Massachusetts soon.

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured out a hazy pale orange color with a little carbonation. Smell consisted of some orange zest with a touch of lemon, but it was quite weak. Taste consists of the same as the smell, but it does start off sweet and finishes with a touch of spice that lasts in the aftertaste. Considering it's from Coors, it's not that bad of an offering from them. A step in the right direction.

2.74/5  rDev -19.4%

This is a very popular beer these days, as it is the most commonly available example of a Belgian White Beer (the only one you can pick up at the Shell mart). I find that it's a really shoddy example. The head pours kind of sad, and the mouthfeel is a bit harsh for the smoothness expected from this style. The actual flavor is like someone took a Hoegaarden and mixed it half and half with a bland domestic beer. There are much better Belgian White Beers around.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had several pints while dining on the town recently. It served as a nice compliment to the red chile fueled New Mexican style dinner I had. This unfiltered wheat was golden in color and it was unfiltered as advertised. Could detect the fruits that are used in this style of beer. Taste was heavy on the wheat with a hint of citrus. Mouthfeel was good, a little heavier than what I thought. It was a nice compliment to dinner, quenching the fire of the chilies.

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%

I first tried this beer on a break from skiing while in Breckenridge, CO. While I usually avoid macro brews, I have to honestly say that this is the best beer Coors has ever produced. While some may say that this beer is over spiced, I loved the orange/corainder taste of this unique brew. Considering other Belgian whites are 12 bucks a six pack, this is a nice alternative.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Blue Moon pours out a light orange color with a moderate head that disappears VERY quickly. It smells very citrusy and tastes just like it smells. A very drinkable beer by all means. Goes down extremely smooth with no bitter aftertaste in your mouth at all. Nothing else to say about this beer really. Overall, an average beer that's easy to drink, but is a step up from most of the mass-produced domestic beers.

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%

When poured the color was of a hazy wheat yellow with medium foam that dissapated quickly. The smell of spices and wheat filled the nose. A pleasant aroma with a hint of citrus. The taste was of a creamy nature with spices and wheat that was pleasant to the palate with no harsh bitterness. I would say that this is the best beer that Coor's had brewed ever!

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

Served cold, from bottle in pint glass.
Appearance: Cloudy yellow gold in color. Not much head to speak of, but I did pour kinda wussily.
Smell: Sweet and banana like, and really spicey. Lots of coriander. A little lemony too. Not bad at all.
Taste: Banana and coriander. Pretty good, honestly. This is by no means my favorite style, but it is a bit better than I expected. The banana and coriander and yeasty flavors all mesh well, with no off flavors.
Mouthfeel: Refreshing, sharp carbonation.
Drinkability: On the right day, I could probably enjoy a few of these. I'm kinda impressed.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

this came to my table in a attractive tall slender glass. hazy orange/sunset with a small tightly bubbled head. one whiff and its citrus up in here. light spices and wheat come around but the lemony aroma is the show. taste wise...slight sweetness, fruity (big lemon/orange), faint spice, all on a light wheaty body. no real hop character, the wheaty malt is what its about. clean and sharp in the mouth, bubbly...finishes dry. quenching! i really like this. i havent had this in bottles yet, but on tap, it was really refreshing and washed down some grub nicely. oh, and yea its brewed by coors...boohoo, get over it nancy.

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%

Blue moon is a pretty good beer. That's my impression, and I'll stand by it. I know that it's en vogue amongst college kids and the yup crowd who want to 'splurge' on a good beer, and I really can't fault anyone who is willing to cough up $5 more for this instead of a case of Scudweiser.
Review: sorry. got distracted in all the macro bashing
BM pours a yellow, veeeery faint orange color and is unfiltered. I'll attribute the relative transparency to a lack of yeast strain, but that's quite ok, because this beer isn't trying to win any awards. It's light and sweet, certainly thinner than an authentic belgian witbier. It really aint bad. I'll pick up a case every summer or so and I know they'll disappear off my shelf like they were in a magic trick. Girls especially love this beer. It's got decent flavor, good citrus flavor with sweet malty yeast, even some generic spice (mostly corriander which gives it the citrus, maybe some clove) and it's easy to throw them back. I have to credit Coors with making this brew. It's decent, tasty, and making them a fortune I'm willing to bet. Find me some numbers about recent increases in sales volume, and then think about bashing them. I'll admit I had this before I had a lot of other micros, so there's something to be said about wide distribution (ahem, SNPA). So, yeah. Give it a shot. And if you can't bring yourself to finish them, I know a bunch of sorority girls who will help you out.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company