Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Blue Moon Belgian White | Coors Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
3.4

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Added by kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Reviews: 1,598 | Ratings: 6,626
3.76/5  rDev +10.6%

My first wheat beer of any complexion. Poured an interesting hazy orange color with creamy head that dissipated pretty quickly. Beer appears thick and smooth and is opaque in the glass.

The smell is interesting but not complex...there are strong accents of lemon and other funky citrus. Taste has a very small amount of spice, complementing the citrus nicely. The aftertaste, however, is slightly off-putting.

Repeated sips warm me up to the beer more, and the mouthfeel is smooth and nice, and despite the apparent "thickness" of the beer, it isn't terribly filling.

Pretty good overall. I"ll have to try others in this style to compare.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

On tap at Chili’s restaurant – Excellent !! Even with that damn slice of orange stick on the glass – good thing they didn’t chuck it into the beer. (I’ve semi-converted the wife-zilla – she’s drinking the Boulevard Wheats and liking them – but she squirts the damn lemon into it ).

Anyway, the 22oz bomber pour was a hazy amber, but the orange slice seemed to kill the head quickly. No matter, the Wit was still smooth, well balanced between the weat malts and citrus hops. Not sure if the orange aroma was from the beer or the slice. Very nice texture – could drink these all night. Oops, think I did. Have to say, a good *micro* from a *macro*.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

Final beer in my review of Molson-Coors beers, pre-merger, round 1. I probably should have had this one first. From notes from previous night.

Appearance: Hazy pale gold (tonight as I type and have another it looks orangish when held to the light). Decent fluffy white head, it lingered for a bit then left. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Fruity/citrusy (orange and lemon). Almost like a kitchen floor or countertop cleaner. A little hops noticeable.

Taste: Citrus fruits, lemon, orange, a little sweet, yet there is a good balace of hop/malt.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium bodied, slightly carbonated.

Drinkability: Last night after drinking macros this was sweet nectar. I waited to tonight to number it, and it is good, but not great. I have not had any other witbiers in recent memory, but I would hope that this is not the best the style has to offer. I couldn't have more than one last night, and I don't know if I'll purchase this one again after the 6-pack is gone.

NOTE: Ratings may be adjusted when I have more of the style to compare to. For now I am comparing it to wheat beers I have had (I know, probably a mistake, but this is how I see it).

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

This brew surprised me. I bought it knowing full well it is a coors product. This meant I was expecting very little. Well I was pleasantly surprised by this brew. A great summertime brew while barbecuing. Believe it or not I would buy this one again! Shame that Coors cant make their other products like this!

2.86/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Well the choice between a draw of Coors Light or a draw of Blue Moon was more than enough to try the latter for the first time. And I must say I was quite surprised.

Pours nice, very hazy with a tight, white head and nice lacing.

Doesn't smell much different from a macro lager, oddly. There's just the slightest hint of wheat, but that was it. Very faint smell.

Tastes pretty darn good, if a little bland for a wheat. Like wheatmalt upfront with only a bit of spice, citrus and orange peel in the back fading into a swet malt. Horrible aftertaste of Coors badness costs this beer some points.

I get the same stomach cramps I do from Bud and Coors from drinking this beer. Certainly not a good session ale.

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

An old-standby from college.
Pours a cloudy, hazy gold with a thick white head that disappears almost immediately.
Aroma is citrus and lemon, but there are also some off notes in there that smell a little sour, almost like socks.
Taste is also extremely crisp and citric, with an almost astringent mouthfeel. Some bannana and spice notes in there as well.
A relatively drinkable lighter brew that is widely available and almost Not a fine example of the style, but I like to buy a case of this when I have macro drinkers over to watch a game or for a party. It's not too expensive, and people seem to like it and think of it as a micro. Nicely done, Coors.

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Another beer left in my fridge. I have to try and keep off the good beers till my drinking buddy returns from work related leave. This beer pours a light peachy color with a 2 finger head that falls to a small coating over top of the beer. The nose is oriander orangey, but with a slightly creamy tone, reminding me of a orange cream popsicle. The flavor is much the same as the nose, but with a slightly wheaty undertone in there. The feel is moderate to thick, somewhat creamy. Overall, not bad for a beer made by BMC. It was always my fall back beer before I went off the deep end 5 months ago, and it is still not bad. Definately not something I will keep in my fridge, but I won't turn my nose up when people leave it behind in my fridge.

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Surprisingly decent, courtesy on tap in Orlando at Underground Bluz. Smooth enough thought it was a micro. Nice wheaty appearance, good aroma, smeet though citrusy. Refreshing carbonation. Medium of the road mouthfeel. Coors? Did they buy this brewery?

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

LOTS of carbonation! I bought a six-pack, drove two blocks over nice road, opened the bottle, and foam poured out all over my jeans. Sheesh. The appearance of Blue Moon is as one would expect from an unfiltered Wheat Ale, a pale yellow that is quite cloudy. Some lacing and an aroma that is lightly citrusy with a dash of wheat and nutmeg. Medium body, somewhat sweet with a creamy malt middle and little hops. Pepper and spice dominate, light yeast and some corn last to the nice dry finish. Perfect for people who say they don't like beer, but I miss the hops.

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%

A suprisingly good product from Coors. I had this one for 2 bucks a pint at the local watering hole and it was good stuff. It poured a cloudy gold color with a very nice head and nice lace was left on my glass. The beer did not have much smell but it did have was a very inviting, light and airy aroma of malt and corriander. I thought the flavor was great and very drinkable with its sweet front end that was tasty and not cloying at all. The beer was balanced out nicely with a small hop presence and a nice citrus twang. Overall, I'm impressed and would gladly order this one again.

4.02/5  rDev +18.2%

appearance: cloudy dark golden yellow with a white head. the head tends to stay around for a while, but there is very little lacing.
smell: hops, lemon, a little orange, and some spice...coriander?
taste: fairly complex but similar to smell, lemon is pretty noticable, along with that spice, and the bitterness of hops seems to be pretty noticable in the aftertaste. definitely not overly bitter, just noticable.
mouthfeel: good carbonation level, not too much or too little, but the beer seems a little thin. feels clean and refreshing.
drinkability: i could definitely drink this all night.

this is a good beer and definitely worth trying, the price makes it a beer that i will buy pretty often.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've never seen this beer in the Houston area so I just had to pick it up while in San Antonio. Belgian White's appearance is a hazy golden orange with a nice foamy head. The aroma is of wheat with a zesty lemon smell. Taste is similar to the aroma, wheat with a lemon taste. The mouthfeel is crisp and assertive. Drinkability is very good. A rare beer by one of the big 3 that I recommend to all.

2.68/5  rDev -21.2%

12 oz bottle in a tall pilsner glass

This beer poured light yellow and cloudy with a 1 inch frothy dense head that disappeared a little on the quick side and left slight lacing.

Smell was interesting, lemony and yeasty, but with a very slight musty-ness to it.

Taste was a little off. Hints of lemon and corriander, but on the whole I found this beer to be rather bland.

Slight of body and medium in carbonation. Might be good on a hot day when you want to drink something fast, but not much here to savor.

I'll pass and look for something better.

2.71/5  rDev -20.3%

Thought this was something different, did not know it was a commercial beer. Came in a twist off bottle, I should have known, poured a really hazy dirty blond with minimal head that quickly dissipated.
The smell is musky with a sweet background.
The taste is a musky sweet carbonated beer that is the taste of carbonation more so than sweetness inspiring the after taste.
The mouthfeel is also musky with an undetermined sweetness and the carbonation does not even or smooth out.
The drinkability is not good and the after taste has a lingering musky sweet taste that is not desirable for me cause I know better.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Blue Moon Belgian White

found a 6er in the back of a friends fridge.

Appearance- yellow/ orange and cloudy. A decent white frothy head.
Smell- very sweet malt.
Taste- sweet biscuit malt with a slight watery wheat flavor.not bad.
Mouthfeel- watery and sugary sweet.

Overall- a decent beer. Very surprising knowing its from Coors?! I recommend if given 1 but don't buy it.

3.32/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a clouded orange-brown brew.

Smell is strong yeast and clear coriander scent; faint banana and a sour scent like sourdough bread.

Taste is sweet and doughy with a biscuit flavor. Spicy flavors that that prickle the tongue, coriander is there. Mild bitterness in the aftertaste, Golding hops maybe?

Mouthfeel is good if maybe a bit highly carbonated.

Drinkability is good; not my first choice but I would pick this over any Bud-Miller-Coors available.

3.52/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Not an awful beer for something that is made by the big 3... pours a hazy yellow... little to no head retention. No lacing. Amora and taste of spices. Not much going on here, very clean. Nice high carbonation levels, but thin. This beer does tend to dance off your tounge.

Something I'd get if my choices were limited.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light burnt orange that is slightly hazed. The beer itself is slightly appealing yet it lacks head and what head it gave dissipated rapidly. The aroma consists of spices and yeast and a slight musty grass smell. The taste is overwhelmingly coriander along with a little black pepper punch of the hops and transcends into light lemony grain and yeast flavors. It's not at all bad, but is out of balance with the coriander. If that was adjusted, this brew would rank alot better. The mouthfeel is a slightly creamy beginning with a slightly dry carb/hop finish. Despite it's imbalance, it drinks down pretty easy.

Not at all bad. Easily the best Coors product I've had and given the right circumstances, I'd order this again. Cheers!

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

from the tap. poured a cloudy yellowwith hardly any head and no lacing did not put the orange in that they servered with it as a garnish. aroma, yeast, citrus, orange and lemon.flavor about the same.smooth could be one of those you could have a few of not to bad

3.87/5  rDev +13.8%

Always a favorite to recommend to others not so inclined to trying out non-light beers, especially with that orange slice. This has been my final beer of the night choice, especially if I've had some heavier nut browns or porters earlier. Hazy appearance will never be my personal choice, but it is a belgian style wheat. Nothing too special about the smell or mouthfeel, but no issues with these characteristics either. Can drink this wheat all evening. Plus, Blue Moon is available more and more at nearby restauarants and is always a good option.

3.12/5  rDev -8.2%

Bought this while out of town one weekend- the guy that sold it to me could tell me nothing about it- serves me right for not doing my homework!
Poured from a 12 oz bottle dated DEC26 04 {edit:ohmygosh, it's a Belgian in a screw-top!} It's a dull,hazy. golden yellow. Had an off-white foamy to sudsy 1/2 finger head, despite the fact I poured aggressively into a clean glass trying for a bigger head. The head excused itself fairly quickly, before one or two sips. The nose was nice! It promised a taste of fruits, oranges, cloves, malt with some yeasts. But, the taste disappointed me some...lacking something there in the middle. The aftertaste was dry and a bit sour. I kept going back for more sips and mouthfuls, trying to sort out what I was tasting- A bit of wheat, some apricot-like sweeteness with some other fruits and spicyness. As it warmed more the wheat/malt diminished and the tartness increased. Didn't make me want another.

2.91/5  rDev -14.4%

Consumed in October 2004 from a bottle purchased at Trader Joes.
Ahhhh, it figures; a Coors product. I have had a few of these and never was impressed and now the true light comes out. I had one left from the six pack, which is actually kinda old. Maybe 8 months kinda old. But, seeing that it is a Coors product, I don't think it's going to make a difference. Pours with a small head that is gone in a flash. Zero, zilch, nil lacing anywhere. Kinda of a brownish-orange color with chunks of yeast all over the place. In fact, if anybody has seen the movie Strange Brew....you know when the dog starts drinking the beer from his dog dish, then they throw him a donught to get him away from the beer because it was their dad's last beer. Then they poured what was left from the dog dish into a glass? That's what this beer looks like. Maybe not as much chunky dog food, but looks pretty nasty nonetheless. Smells at least decent. Smells of wheat, maybe a hop somewhere. Tastes like wheat, coriander, maybe some citrus in there. A little pepper or some kind of spicyness. Kinda flat also. Not awful, but pretty lame. Don't even want to look at it with all those floating things. Naaa, I'll pass on this one.

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

In the first few weeks of legal drinking I ordered a Blue Moon at an Irish pub and recommended that my mom did as well. Her first comment was that the beer tasted like vegetables. I had my next sip and suddenly I was convinced my mouth was filled with creamed vegetables. This isn't the greatest beer, but it is far from the worst. While I find it hard to point out what would distinguish it from anyone other American white beer, I think that's the point. This is an intro beer. Since it is produced by Unibev you can get it anywhere. Since it isn't a weak lager, it gives many people their first taste of something different and for that cheers.

3.36/5  rDev -1.2%

Well, this was a pretty good session beer. It had a really nice cloudy haze to it. The taste was refreshing, albeit a bit on the lighter side. I could actually drink a few bottles of this while playing cards. It was refreshing... maybe i'm thinking this because i found out it was by Coors. I was really surprised. I guess they could make a decent beer after all.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer seems to exist to prove the point that the big boys COULD brew a halfway decent beer IF they choose to do so. Its a rather innoffensive little Wit, perfect for a hot day of grilling out on the deck...

Appearance is well above the macrobrew average, with actual color and a bit of haze in a - hold on to your hats, unfiltered macro brew! Little smell comes through, but notes of fruit pop now and again. Taste is acceptable, this is clearly not a style-defining or bursting Belgian Wit, but it is recognizable. The relatively high score is a nod to it's coors heritage - I want to try to encourage adolph to brew more beers like this and fewer like Aspen. Beer is easily drinkable, due to it's lack of agressive traits. One could easily drink several in a sitting, if only the taste provided some justification to such behavior.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company