Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,550 | Hads: 6,291
4.4/5  rDev +29.4%

Holy cow, what a shocker this was. Picked it up just to review another beer and went back for more. Pours a cloudy honey gold with a froth head that became a monster. The smell is very citrusy, lemons honey with a hop tone. The taste is impressive, could really feel a balance of apricots, lemon and hops that grabbed hold of my taste buds and wouldn't let go. Feels warm and inviting in the mouth. This has become a staple in the fridge and who would have thought from Coors.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

I was offered an orange slice with this tap! Normally it's a lemon. Either way, I typically don't partake.

Poured hazy gold to slightly orange color. The head was thin but the sheathing action was consistent. Somewhat of a yeasty aroma... nothing else jumped out at me. A mild astringency and graininess in the flavor. This is an adequate thirst killer. The light mouth coating in the finish was not unpleasant.

I'd have to call it my favorite Coors product, but what else do they have widely available?

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%

The beer poured just as a Wit should. A cloudy golden color with a very ample white head. I wish my wits would pour like this. The head retention was quite good and it left a nice lace on the side of the glass.

The aroma of this beer did not match its appearance. I could get a hint of honey but no citrus or other aromas. The hops were not present either.

The flavor was NOT complex. I could not detect any citrus or any other additive. There is some malt sweetness and no hops. To bad this tastes more like a Coors than a Hoegaarden. I really, REALLY wanted to give this beer a good score after I saw it in the glass.

The mouthfeel is very nice. It is approaching a medium body and the carbonation played with the roof of my mouth.

It has the look and mouthfeel of a great wit. Now all they need to do is put some taste to go along with the rest to have a damn nice beer. I hope that Coors will keep trying to make a better beer.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Gauzy yellow-amber with a bone white head that looks soft and doesn't leave any lace. Beer color: nailed it. Head/lace: missed nail, hit thumb. The nose has a trace amount of Belgian yeastiness. It's spicy-earthy, but a musty graininess is still evident. Not bad, not good.

The flavor doesn't cut it. The beer tastes like a macro lager that is trying desperately to be something else, namely a Belgian wit. I'm having a hard time mustering up the enthusiasm to break this down. Let's just say that it's a grain-like malty, slightly sour, mildly sweet beer with the suggestion of spice. The body/mouthfeel is average at best. On a good note, it doesn't lose focus at the end of the mouthful or at the end of the bottle.

Blue Moon isn't offensive, but that's hardly a recommendation. I will say that it's the best Coors product--and maybe even the best BMC product--that I've had yet.

2.39/5  rDev -29.7%

White Ale's are my favorite beer, and this is far from the best I've ever had. Goes down smooth enough, but has an odd after taste. I couldn't even finish the six pack, the taste just got worse and worse. Your better off with a Hoegaarden or Sam Adams White for your money.

2.26/5  rDev -33.5%

It poured a golden, cloudy amber with a nice white head and decent lacing.

The smell was citrusy and piney with a little bit of malt.

The flavor was citrusy and a little like cantaloupe. It has a weird artificial taste in the background, almost like a rubber taste you might get from chewing on a red rubber washer. Not enough of that wierd taste to ruin it, but enough to make you wonder.

The mouthfeel was mellow, not too carbonated or harsh. But that damn rubber taste lingers.

This might be a good transition beer for macro-swillers, but it's not that great compared to the style. It's drinkable, but not enjoyable.

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

It certainly reminds me of a wit, but it doesn't quite deliver. Thinner, weaker, taste and smell are less profound. Certainly drinkable, and better than the standard fare. Reminds me some of Michelob hefe. Good for what it is, but a rather pale imitation compared to the real thing. Seek out Allagash white, Hoogarden, or Unibroue Blanche De Chambly instead.

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

This was about the third time for me trying this brew. It had to grow on me... I guess it was really the style that had to grow on me. The apperance was pretty good. It had a small white head that left minimal lace on the glass. The color was straw and very hazy. I could not see through this beer.

The smell was spicy and sweet.

The taste was just like the smell. It was a pretty spicy brew with sweet highlights to balance the brew.

Over all a very drinkable and fairly cheap brew.

3.27/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz bottle from a sixer that a guest brought when we hosted dinner. Thanks, Scott...

Hard-poured into a pint glass, formed 1/2" of slightly off-white head over a cloudy honey-hued brew which has floaties (which was my fault, not expecting a Coors product to be unfiltered). Head didn't last very long, and there wasn't much lacing either. Light malty/yeasty aroma, and the taste is pretty much like what I would expect a watered down white from most micros would taste like, very thin in the mouth. Have to give it high marks for drinkability, would certainly go down the hatch on those nice summer days that I wish would find Massachusetts soon.

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured out a hazy pale orange color with a little carbonation. Smell consisted of some orange zest with a touch of lemon, but it was quite weak. Taste consists of the same as the smell, but it does start off sweet and finishes with a touch of spice that lasts in the aftertaste. Considering it's from Coors, it's not that bad of an offering from them. A step in the right direction.

2.74/5  rDev -19.4%

This is a very popular beer these days, as it is the most commonly available example of a Belgian White Beer (the only one you can pick up at the Shell mart). I find that it's a really shoddy example. The head pours kind of sad, and the mouthfeel is a bit harsh for the smoothness expected from this style. The actual flavor is like someone took a Hoegaarden and mixed it half and half with a bland domestic beer. There are much better Belgian White Beers around.

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had several pints while dining on the town recently. It served as a nice compliment to the red chile fueled New Mexican style dinner I had. This unfiltered wheat was golden in color and it was unfiltered as advertised. Could detect the fruits that are used in this style of beer. Taste was heavy on the wheat with a hint of citrus. Mouthfeel was good, a little heavier than what I thought. It was a nice compliment to dinner, quenching the fire of the chilies.

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%

I first tried this beer on a break from skiing while in Breckenridge, CO. While I usually avoid macro brews, I have to honestly say that this is the best beer Coors has ever produced. While some may say that this beer is over spiced, I loved the orange/corainder taste of this unique brew. Considering other Belgian whites are 12 bucks a six pack, this is a nice alternative.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Blue Moon pours out a light orange color with a moderate head that disappears VERY quickly. It smells very citrusy and tastes just like it smells. A very drinkable beer by all means. Goes down extremely smooth with no bitter aftertaste in your mouth at all. Nothing else to say about this beer really. Overall, an average beer that's easy to drink, but is a step up from most of the mass-produced domestic beers.

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%

When poured the color was of a hazy wheat yellow with medium foam that dissapated quickly. The smell of spices and wheat filled the nose. A pleasant aroma with a hint of citrus. The taste was of a creamy nature with spices and wheat that was pleasant to the palate with no harsh bitterness. I would say that this is the best beer that Coor's had brewed ever!

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

Served cold, from bottle in pint glass.
Appearance: Cloudy yellow gold in color. Not much head to speak of, but I did pour kinda wussily.
Smell: Sweet and banana like, and really spicey. Lots of coriander. A little lemony too. Not bad at all.
Taste: Banana and coriander. Pretty good, honestly. This is by no means my favorite style, but it is a bit better than I expected. The banana and coriander and yeasty flavors all mesh well, with no off flavors.
Mouthfeel: Refreshing, sharp carbonation.
Drinkability: On the right day, I could probably enjoy a few of these. I'm kinda impressed.

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

this came to my table in a attractive tall slender glass. hazy orange/sunset with a small tightly bubbled head. one whiff and its citrus up in here. light spices and wheat come around but the lemony aroma is the show. taste wise...slight sweetness, fruity (big lemon/orange), faint spice, all on a light wheaty body. no real hop character, the wheaty malt is what its about. clean and sharp in the mouth, bubbly...finishes dry. quenching! i really like this. i havent had this in bottles yet, but on tap, it was really refreshing and washed down some grub nicely. oh, and yea its brewed by coors...boohoo, get over it nancy.

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%

Blue moon is a pretty good beer. That's my impression, and I'll stand by it. I know that it's en vogue amongst college kids and the yup crowd who want to 'splurge' on a good beer, and I really can't fault anyone who is willing to cough up $5 more for this instead of a case of Scudweiser.
Review: sorry. got distracted in all the macro bashing
BM pours a yellow, veeeery faint orange color and is unfiltered. I'll attribute the relative transparency to a lack of yeast strain, but that's quite ok, because this beer isn't trying to win any awards. It's light and sweet, certainly thinner than an authentic belgian witbier. It really aint bad. I'll pick up a case every summer or so and I know they'll disappear off my shelf like they were in a magic trick. Girls especially love this beer. It's got decent flavor, good citrus flavor with sweet malty yeast, even some generic spice (mostly corriander which gives it the citrus, maybe some clove) and it's easy to throw them back. I have to credit Coors with making this brew. It's decent, tasty, and making them a fortune I'm willing to bet. Find me some numbers about recent increases in sales volume, and then think about bashing them. I'll admit I had this before I had a lot of other micros, so there's something to be said about wide distribution (ahem, SNPA). So, yeah. Give it a shot. And if you can't bring yourself to finish them, I know a bunch of sorority girls who will help you out.

2.81/5  rDev -17.4%

Beer looks nice and pale... head is frothy and retains well.

Sweet wheat smell with strong pumpkin and spice overtones. A little to strong for me.

Wheaty and very sweet. Tastes like pumpkin wheat beer. A little to sweet for my taste.

Feels nice and viscous in the mouth. Overall pleasent feel.

Easy going down, but overly sweet flavor makes it dificult to drink.

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

While not too familiar with this style, I do have to give kudos to Coors for this. Excellent for a macro. It had a nice orange color with some lace. It had a nice fruity smell. It tasted like a wheat beer with orange thrown in. Did my server throw orange in? I don't think so, but I can't tell. I'm torn about what to give it for taste. It was really pleasant, but it was like having a soda. I have the sneaking suspicion this has artificial flavoring in it. Whatever the case, circumstance may dictate how I view the beer. If beer is food, I'm considering this a type of candy.

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Blue Moon pours a cloudy golden yellow into a pint glass. There is very little head to speak of, at least in comparison to other Belgian whites I have had.

The aroma is light and mildly sweet. It smells like a Hefe Weizen with a lemon wedge already squeezed in it. A very mild clove aspect is present as well.

The first taste is definitely sweeter than I expect. However, if I had this in a blind taste test I'd instantly be able to recognize that it was a wheat beer: it's creamy and malty with a medium body. There is barely any recognizable hop characteristic, which is another surprise. It's not bad, but I don't think I could have more than one of these in a session.

I have to give Coors credit: they've made a decent brew here. If I wanted a Belgian white, I'd definitely look elsewhere. However, if I was forced to drink an American macro, this would probably be at the top of my list.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

I have had this beer a few times and until I was about to write this review, I did not know it was made by Coors. I honestly would have never guessed it. This is a good beer. It pours a cloudy light color with very little head. The smell and taste are both quite citrusy, which I liked. It goes down nice and smooth and has a good amount of carbonation. This is a good refreshing summer brew which you can find in a decent amount of places.

2.51/5  rDev -26.2%

Man I hate reviewing Belgian whites. I know I'm supposed to be rating this bad boy vs. the style, but most whites I've had just sicken me, for some reason. This one, uniquely, doesn’t, but I blame that on a lack of flavor. Pours a cloudy golden, not white at all, so I can understand this being a wheat beer but not a white. Smell is potent of that typical wheaty "white" smell, unfortunately I dislike that smell quite a bit. Taste is not that complex, just wheaty and simple, and a little bit sickening. What can I say? Those who like these love them, but I just can't do it.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

The beer pours a cloudy gold color with a thin white head. The aroma is weak, but has the wit smell to it; fruity yeast and wheat scents. The taste is also a bit tame, but has all the qualities of a wit. It is sweet with pale wheat malts and that wit yeast. It is refreshing and goes down with ease. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This was a decent wit, but fails to reach the level of a true Belgian style.

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Nice cloudy golden beer, but lacking any real sediment. Very little head, and it quickly becomes a light lace. A light citric and spicy smell. A good mix of tastes citrus, spices, and yeast at the start with a nice tinge of banana and mint at the end. A pleasant light feel with slight oilyness. The finish or mint gives it a nice cleansing feel. This is a beer that can be had again and again. It is equally good in either tap or bottle. The only problem is that once you've finished one, you simply want another.

I first had this beer as it was the only wheat beer offered at the bar I was at. I simply assumed it was from a new micro-brewery. I often purchase it when Hoegarden or Blanche de'Bruge is not available. I find Blue Moon Belgian White to be a good domestic substitute. It would be nice to have some sedimentation as that is so much a part of the experience of the Belgian Wheat's.

It is with a little embarasement that I find this is a Coors product. With that knowledge I now see it so clearly. It tastes exactly like what I would have expected of a Coors Wheat. I have always enjoyed Coors products considerably and find them superior to any of the other U.S. macro-brewers. I now have to remove Herman Josef's premium lager from atop my list.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company