Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,541 | Hads: 6,237
2.88/5  rDev -16%

Poured out a hazy pale orange color with a little carbonation. Smell consisted of some orange zest with a touch of lemon, but it was quite weak. Taste consists of the same as the smell, but it does start off sweet and finishes with a touch of spice that lasts in the aftertaste. Considering it's from Coors, it's not that bad of an offering from them. A step in the right direction. (382 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -20.1%

This is a very popular beer these days, as it is the most commonly available example of a Belgian White Beer (the only one you can pick up at the Shell mart). I find that it's a really shoddy example. The head pours kind of sad, and the mouthfeel is a bit harsh for the smoothness expected from this style. The actual flavor is like someone took a Hoegaarden and mixed it half and half with a bland domestic beer. There are much better Belgian White Beers around. (463 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had several pints while dining on the town recently. It served as a nice compliment to the red chile fueled New Mexican style dinner I had. This unfiltered wheat was golden in color and it was unfiltered as advertised. Could detect the fruits that are used in this style of beer. Taste was heavy on the wheat with a hint of citrus. Mouthfeel was good, a little heavier than what I thought. It was a nice compliment to dinner, quenching the fire of the chilies. (460 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +26.8%

I first tried this beer on a break from skiing while in Breckenridge, CO. While I usually avoid macro brews, I have to honestly say that this is the best beer Coors has ever produced. While some may say that this beer is over spiced, I loved the orange/corainder taste of this unique brew. Considering other Belgian whites are 12 bucks a six pack, this is a nice alternative. (375 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Blue Moon pours out a light orange color with a moderate head that disappears VERY quickly. It smells very citrusy and tastes just like it smells. A very drinkable beer by all means. Goes down extremely smooth with no bitter aftertaste in your mouth at all. Nothing else to say about this beer really. Overall, an average beer that's easy to drink, but is a step up from most of the mass-produced domestic beers. (412 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +11.4%

When poured the color was of a hazy wheat yellow with medium foam that dissapated quickly. The smell of spices and wheat filled the nose. A pleasant aroma with a hint of citrus. The taste was of a creamy nature with spices and wheat that was pleasant to the palate with no harsh bitterness. I would say that this is the best beer that Coor's had brewed ever! (358 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +10.8%

Served cold, from bottle in pint glass.
Appearance: Cloudy yellow gold in color. Not much head to speak of, but I did pour kinda wussily.
Smell: Sweet and banana like, and really spicey. Lots of coriander. A little lemony too. Not bad at all.
Taste: Banana and coriander. Pretty good, honestly. This is by no means my favorite style, but it is a bit better than I expected. The banana and coriander and yeasty flavors all mesh well, with no off flavors.
Mouthfeel: Refreshing, sharp carbonation.
Drinkability: On the right day, I could probably enjoy a few of these. I'm kinda impressed. (592 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +7.3%

this came to my table in a attractive tall slender glass. hazy orange/sunset with a small tightly bubbled head. one whiff and its citrus up in here. light spices and wheat come around but the lemony aroma is the show. taste wise...slight sweetness, fruity (big lemon/orange), faint spice, all on a light wheaty body. no real hop character, the wheaty malt is what its about. clean and sharp in the mouth, bubbly...finishes dry. quenching! i really like this. i havent had this in bottles yet, but on tap, it was really refreshing and washed down some grub nicely. oh, and yea its brewed by coors...boohoo, get over it nancy. (624 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +8.5%

Blue moon is a pretty good beer. That's my impression, and I'll stand by it. I know that it's en vogue amongst college kids and the yup crowd who want to 'splurge' on a good beer, and I really can't fault anyone who is willing to cough up $5 more for this instead of a case of Scudweiser.
Review: sorry. got distracted in all the macro bashing
BM pours a yellow, veeeery faint orange color and is unfiltered. I'll attribute the relative transparency to a lack of yeast strain, but that's quite ok, because this beer isn't trying to win any awards. It's light and sweet, certainly thinner than an authentic belgian witbier. It really aint bad. I'll pick up a case every summer or so and I know they'll disappear off my shelf like they were in a magic trick. Girls especially love this beer. It's got decent flavor, good citrus flavor with sweet malty yeast, even some generic spice (mostly corriander which gives it the citrus, maybe some clove) and it's easy to throw them back. I have to credit Coors with making this brew. It's decent, tasty, and making them a fortune I'm willing to bet. Find me some numbers about recent increases in sales volume, and then think about bashing them. I'll admit I had this before I had a lot of other micros, so there's something to be said about wide distribution (ahem, SNPA). So, yeah. Give it a shot. And if you can't bring yourself to finish them, I know a bunch of sorority girls who will help you out. (1,448 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -18.1%

Appearance:
Beer looks nice and pale... head is frothy and retains well.

Smell:
Sweet wheat smell with strong pumpkin and spice overtones. A little to strong for me.

Taste:
Wheaty and very sweet. Tastes like pumpkin wheat beer. A little to sweet for my taste.

Mouthfeel:
Feels nice and viscous in the mouth. Overall pleasent feel.

Drinkablility:
Easy going down, but overly sweet flavor makes it dificult to drink. (431 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +19.5%

While not too familiar with this style, I do have to give kudos to Coors for this. Excellent for a macro. It had a nice orange color with some lace. It had a nice fruity smell. It tasted like a wheat beer with orange thrown in. Did my server throw orange in? I don't think so, but I can't tell. I'm torn about what to give it for taste. It was really pleasant, but it was like having a soda. I have the sneaking suspicion this has artificial flavoring in it. Whatever the case, circumstance may dictate how I view the beer. If beer is food, I'm considering this a type of candy. (578 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -11.1%

Blue Moon pours a cloudy golden yellow into a pint glass. There is very little head to speak of, at least in comparison to other Belgian whites I have had.

The aroma is light and mildly sweet. It smells like a Hefe Weizen with a lemon wedge already squeezed in it. A very mild clove aspect is present as well.

The first taste is definitely sweeter than I expect. However, if I had this in a blind taste test I'd instantly be able to recognize that it was a wheat beer: it's creamy and malty with a medium body. There is barely any recognizable hop characteristic, which is another surprise. It's not bad, but I don't think I could have more than one of these in a session.

I have to give Coors credit: they've made a decent brew here. If I wanted a Belgian white, I'd definitely look elsewhere. However, if I was forced to drink an American macro, this would probably be at the top of my list. (896 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%

I have had this beer a few times and until I was about to write this review, I did not know it was made by Coors. I honestly would have never guessed it. This is a good beer. It pours a cloudy light color with very little head. The smell and taste are both quite citrusy, which I liked. It goes down nice and smooth and has a good amount of carbonation. This is a good refreshing summer brew which you can find in a decent amount of places. (440 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -26.8%

Man I hate reviewing Belgian whites. I know I'm supposed to be rating this bad boy vs. the style, but most whites I've had just sicken me, for some reason. This one, uniquely, doesn’t, but I blame that on a lack of flavor. Pours a cloudy golden, not white at all, so I can understand this being a wheat beer but not a white. Smell is potent of that typical wheaty "white" smell, unfortunately I dislike that smell quite a bit. Taste is not that complex, just wheaty and simple, and a little bit sickening. What can I say? Those who like these love them, but I just can't do it. (578 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%

The beer pours a cloudy gold color with a thin white head. The aroma is weak, but has the wit smell to it; fruity yeast and wheat scents. The taste is also a bit tame, but has all the qualities of a wit. It is sweet with pale wheat malts and that wit yeast. It is refreshing and goes down with ease. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This was a decent wit, but fails to reach the level of a true Belgian style. (446 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%

Nice cloudy golden beer, but lacking any real sediment. Very little head, and it quickly becomes a light lace. A light citric and spicy smell. A good mix of tastes citrus, spices, and yeast at the start with a nice tinge of banana and mint at the end. A pleasant light feel with slight oilyness. The finish or mint gives it a nice cleansing feel. This is a beer that can be had again and again. It is equally good in either tap or bottle. The only problem is that once you've finished one, you simply want another.

I first had this beer as it was the only wheat beer offered at the bar I was at. I simply assumed it was from a new micro-brewery. I often purchase it when Hoegarden or Blanche de'Bruge is not available. I find Blue Moon Belgian White to be a good domestic substitute. It would be nice to have some sedimentation as that is so much a part of the experience of the Belgian Wheat's.

It is with a little embarasement that I find this is a Coors product. With that knowledge I now see it so clearly. It tastes exactly like what I would have expected of a Coors Wheat. I have always enjoyed Coors products considerably and find them superior to any of the other U.S. macro-brewers. I now have to remove Herman Josef's premium lager from atop my list. (1,262 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a hazy opaque orange, head appears properly, but dissipated way too quickly, it was gone in seconds.
Bready aroma, with banana, some orange peel.
Banana follows through to the taste, joined with rice and grain. A chemical undertone to the taste. Too sweet.
Light feel, again too chemical and medicinal to me.
Does not compare to a real Belgian. (354 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -4.7%

A very mediocre wheat, but not as bad as I expected from one of the Big 3.

Pours a cloudy but not-quite-murky enough gold, with a quickly dying head. Decent aroma of orange zest and peppercorn. A sort of oriental spice note as well.

Taste is a bit light and thin, but it's at least in the right ballpark. Slightly dusty-feeling wheat presence, with notes of orange and spice. Easy and mild on the palate without tasting overly cheap.
As this cost $1.50 more than a sixer of Franziskaner (which I consider much superior), it won't be revisited; but I am surprised it was passable at all. (593 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +20.4%

Ah, Blue Moon. One of the beers that initiated me into better beer drinking. A lot of people don't like it and criticize it for being made by Coors, but hey, I still dig it. I liked it before I even knew what a white beer was, and now since I revisited it, I can say that it's an old favorite.

Appearance: Looks great. I love the pale cloudiness of wheat beers.

Smell: Mostly citrus. More so than I remember but this is not a problem.

Taste:Predominantly citrus again, though nothing comparable to a citrus flavored mixed drink. It's a good thing they didn't serve it to me with a lemon slice. There is also a graceful taste of hops.

Drinkability: I could drink 'em all night long, but I usually have them at the end of the night. I don't know why but I tend to save this beer for last. Maybe it's because it is so flavorful that it wouldn't make sense to start off with it. (886 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -34.1%

For a wheat beer, this doesn't follow the norm; and I can't figure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Pours into the glass with a healthy golden color. Head basically does not lace. I added a slice of orange before tasting. This helped bring out the 'wheat' flavor, but was unfortunately over powering to any subtleties that might have been in the beer. I'm guessing that any wheat beer that is toppled by a small slice of orange has no subtle notes, but I may retaste this beer in the future sans orange. (510 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -7.6%

Interesting brew in that it seemed to improve over the life of the sampling. Initially was prepared to give it a lower score, but then...
Arrived a dull mid golden hue with a very short crown that quickly disapated to nothing.
Aroma lightly of yeast.
The body is a medium and the carbonation very light.
Taste started to a light flat malt then hastened to a well sweetened lemon-aid sting which was very short lived.
As this sample proceeded, the lemon taste seemed to improve to a more natural state as the product warmed.
The dullness of colour also cleared with time. (576 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +12%

When I first opened this beer I was really unsure as to what to expect, the beer itself had a very unique aroma a lot of different smells going on at the same time, a hint of fruityness, with some definite spice mixed in. Once poured I was actually surprised by just how light in color this beer was. Without a doubt one of the better light colored beers I have had in quite a while. (383 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -14.3%

Looks OK.
Egad! What is that nose? Hoppy beers work and earn street creds, right? So what about coriandery beer? Makes sense. Max it out dude! Pulverize a bushel of coriander seeds in a poorly ventilated room, with a dripping faucet and sticky, dried Mountain Dew on the floor and you have the smell of this beer.
Perhaps it is a cold vs. warm thing. Maybe ice-cold this would seem refreshing and balanced. But at 45 F it is heavy and awkward.
After several sips it deadens all of the right receptors in my head and it begins to seem inviting, on a crude, thirsty, hungry level. Honey is observed wrapping around sun-tosted coriander still on the plant. Asian dishes involving sauteed bean sprouts, bamboo and cilantro are suggested, though never emulated in their naturalness. Iron bitterness closes it out, then explodes, leaving shards of sweetness. (856 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I love this style so sorry to be so harsh coors, but hey...! The color is a murky mess of an imitation. Aromatics are marketed towards the "sweet tooth" American palate. Damn it! Not all of us are sweet toothers!!! The mouthfeel is light and quite carbonated. Flavors are of an oversweetened, overmalted attempt at a belgian wit. Mostly malt dominates the nose and taste, while an infusion of orange and coriander makes a clumbsy appearance. Tastes like a coors silver bullet with a tea bag infusion. It would be a preferred beer to most other coors products for me though, so the drinkability gets rave reviews! (612 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +1.2%

After first inspecting the contents of the bottle (giving it a tip in sunlight, checking yeast and sediment content) and then pouring the beer into my tulip glass I was very encouraged. The aroma was sweet and spicy, golden opaque hues. Upon palating the fluid I was a bit taken back by the disharmonious citrus/acidic twang. Oh well.. I'm enjoying it anyway..

Coors?! Says Full Moon Brewing Co. on the bottle, but I'll take the experts word on this. (453 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company