Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,532 | Hads: 6,190
2.81/5  rDev -18.1%

Appearance:
Beer looks nice and pale... head is frothy and retains well.

Smell:
Sweet wheat smell with strong pumpkin and spice overtones. A little to strong for me.

Taste:
Wheaty and very sweet. Tastes like pumpkin wheat beer. A little to sweet for my taste.

Mouthfeel:
Feels nice and viscous in the mouth. Overall pleasent feel.

Drinkablility:
Easy going down, but overly sweet flavor makes it dificult to drink. (431 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +19.5%

While not too familiar with this style, I do have to give kudos to Coors for this. Excellent for a macro. It had a nice orange color with some lace. It had a nice fruity smell. It tasted like a wheat beer with orange thrown in. Did my server throw orange in? I don't think so, but I can't tell. I'm torn about what to give it for taste. It was really pleasant, but it was like having a soda. I have the sneaking suspicion this has artificial flavoring in it. Whatever the case, circumstance may dictate how I view the beer. If beer is food, I'm considering this a type of candy. (578 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -11.1%

Blue Moon pours a cloudy golden yellow into a pint glass. There is very little head to speak of, at least in comparison to other Belgian whites I have had.

The aroma is light and mildly sweet. It smells like a Hefe Weizen with a lemon wedge already squeezed in it. A very mild clove aspect is present as well.

The first taste is definitely sweeter than I expect. However, if I had this in a blind taste test I'd instantly be able to recognize that it was a wheat beer: it's creamy and malty with a medium body. There is barely any recognizable hop characteristic, which is another surprise. It's not bad, but I don't think I could have more than one of these in a session.

I have to give Coors credit: they've made a decent brew here. If I wanted a Belgian white, I'd definitely look elsewhere. However, if I was forced to drink an American macro, this would probably be at the top of my list. (896 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%

I have had this beer a few times and until I was about to write this review, I did not know it was made by Coors. I honestly would have never guessed it. This is a good beer. It pours a cloudy light color with very little head. The smell and taste are both quite citrusy, which I liked. It goes down nice and smooth and has a good amount of carbonation. This is a good refreshing summer brew which you can find in a decent amount of places. (440 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -26.8%

Man I hate reviewing Belgian whites. I know I'm supposed to be rating this bad boy vs. the style, but most whites I've had just sicken me, for some reason. This one, uniquely, doesn’t, but I blame that on a lack of flavor. Pours a cloudy golden, not white at all, so I can understand this being a wheat beer but not a white. Smell is potent of that typical wheaty "white" smell, unfortunately I dislike that smell quite a bit. Taste is not that complex, just wheaty and simple, and a little bit sickening. What can I say? Those who like these love them, but I just can't do it. (578 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%

The beer pours a cloudy gold color with a thin white head. The aroma is weak, but has the wit smell to it; fruity yeast and wheat scents. The taste is also a bit tame, but has all the qualities of a wit. It is sweet with pale wheat malts and that wit yeast. It is refreshing and goes down with ease. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This was a decent wit, but fails to reach the level of a true Belgian style. (446 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%

Nice cloudy golden beer, but lacking any real sediment. Very little head, and it quickly becomes a light lace. A light citric and spicy smell. A good mix of tastes citrus, spices, and yeast at the start with a nice tinge of banana and mint at the end. A pleasant light feel with slight oilyness. The finish or mint gives it a nice cleansing feel. This is a beer that can be had again and again. It is equally good in either tap or bottle. The only problem is that once you've finished one, you simply want another.

I first had this beer as it was the only wheat beer offered at the bar I was at. I simply assumed it was from a new micro-brewery. I often purchase it when Hoegarden or Blanche de'Bruge is not available. I find Blue Moon Belgian White to be a good domestic substitute. It would be nice to have some sedimentation as that is so much a part of the experience of the Belgian Wheat's.

It is with a little embarasement that I find this is a Coors product. With that knowledge I now see it so clearly. It tastes exactly like what I would have expected of a Coors Wheat. I have always enjoyed Coors products considerably and find them superior to any of the other U.S. macro-brewers. I now have to remove Herman Josef's premium lager from atop my list. (1,262 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a hazy opaque orange, head appears properly, but dissipated way too quickly, it was gone in seconds.
Bready aroma, with banana, some orange peel.
Banana follows through to the taste, joined with rice and grain. A chemical undertone to the taste. Too sweet.
Light feel, again too chemical and medicinal to me.
Does not compare to a real Belgian. (354 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -4.7%

A very mediocre wheat, but not as bad as I expected from one of the Big 3.

Pours a cloudy but not-quite-murky enough gold, with a quickly dying head. Decent aroma of orange zest and peppercorn. A sort of oriental spice note as well.

Taste is a bit light and thin, but it's at least in the right ballpark. Slightly dusty-feeling wheat presence, with notes of orange and spice. Easy and mild on the palate without tasting overly cheap.
As this cost $1.50 more than a sixer of Franziskaner (which I consider much superior), it won't be revisited; but I am surprised it was passable at all. (593 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +20.4%

Ah, Blue Moon. One of the beers that initiated me into better beer drinking. A lot of people don't like it and criticize it for being made by Coors, but hey, I still dig it. I liked it before I even knew what a white beer was, and now since I revisited it, I can say that it's an old favorite.

Appearance: Looks great. I love the pale cloudiness of wheat beers.

Smell: Mostly citrus. More so than I remember but this is not a problem.

Taste:Predominantly citrus again, though nothing comparable to a citrus flavored mixed drink. It's a good thing they didn't serve it to me with a lemon slice. There is also a graceful taste of hops.

Drinkability: I could drink 'em all night long, but I usually have them at the end of the night. I don't know why but I tend to save this beer for last. Maybe it's because it is so flavorful that it wouldn't make sense to start off with it. (886 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -34.1%

For a wheat beer, this doesn't follow the norm; and I can't figure if that is a good thing or a bad thing. Pours into the glass with a healthy golden color. Head basically does not lace. I added a slice of orange before tasting. This helped bring out the 'wheat' flavor, but was unfortunately over powering to any subtleties that might have been in the beer. I'm guessing that any wheat beer that is toppled by a small slice of orange has no subtle notes, but I may retaste this beer in the future sans orange. (510 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -7.6%

Interesting brew in that it seemed to improve over the life of the sampling. Initially was prepared to give it a lower score, but then...
Arrived a dull mid golden hue with a very short crown that quickly disapated to nothing.
Aroma lightly of yeast.
The body is a medium and the carbonation very light.
Taste started to a light flat malt then hastened to a well sweetened lemon-aid sting which was very short lived.
As this sample proceeded, the lemon taste seemed to improve to a more natural state as the product warmed.
The dullness of colour also cleared with time. (576 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +12%

When I first opened this beer I was really unsure as to what to expect, the beer itself had a very unique aroma a lot of different smells going on at the same time, a hint of fruityness, with some definite spice mixed in. Once poured I was actually surprised by just how light in color this beer was. Without a doubt one of the better light colored beers I have had in quite a while. (383 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -14.3%

Looks OK.
Egad! What is that nose? Hoppy beers work and earn street creds, right? So what about coriandery beer? Makes sense. Max it out dude! Pulverize a bushel of coriander seeds in a poorly ventilated room, with a dripping faucet and sticky, dried Mountain Dew on the floor and you have the smell of this beer.
Perhaps it is a cold vs. warm thing. Maybe ice-cold this would seem refreshing and balanced. But at 45 F it is heavy and awkward.
After several sips it deadens all of the right receptors in my head and it begins to seem inviting, on a crude, thirsty, hungry level. Honey is observed wrapping around sun-tosted coriander still on the plant. Asian dishes involving sauteed bean sprouts, bamboo and cilantro are suggested, though never emulated in their naturalness. Iron bitterness closes it out, then explodes, leaving shards of sweetness. (856 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I love this style so sorry to be so harsh coors, but hey...! The color is a murky mess of an imitation. Aromatics are marketed towards the "sweet tooth" American palate. Damn it! Not all of us are sweet toothers!!! The mouthfeel is light and quite carbonated. Flavors are of an oversweetened, overmalted attempt at a belgian wit. Mostly malt dominates the nose and taste, while an infusion of orange and coriander makes a clumbsy appearance. Tastes like a coors silver bullet with a tea bag infusion. It would be a preferred beer to most other coors products for me though, so the drinkability gets rave reviews! (612 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +1.2%

After first inspecting the contents of the bottle (giving it a tip in sunlight, checking yeast and sediment content) and then pouring the beer into my tulip glass I was very encouraged. The aroma was sweet and spicy, golden opaque hues. Upon palating the fluid I was a bit taken back by the disharmonious citrus/acidic twang. Oh well.. I'm enjoying it anyway..

Coors?! Says Full Moon Brewing Co. on the bottle, but I'll take the experts word on this. (453 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -4.4%

So what that it is made by Coors? They still made avery delicious beer in Blue Moon. Pours a rosey gold color that is very intriguing. Has a very light , crisp flavor that has always reminded me of blueberries. Very drinkable beer. For less than many micros/imports you can get a very good 6'er. (295 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy pale gold with a thin creamy head. Beer is very fizzy. Smells sour and spicy. Floral qualities as well.

Tastes spicy and of citrus. Hints of apple cider and a bit yeasty. Light bodied with a sour finish. Refreshing and very drinkable. Nothing spectacular but a solid white ale.

Several years ago this was my backup beer. I could get a six-pack at the Navy comissary for $3.99 so I have a bit of a soft spot for this beer since I could get nothing of this quality for a comparable price. (505 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -5.5%

Hazy, pale orangish color...decent white head.

Nose is most impressive, buzzing with citrus, and spice, almost perfumey, a delightful aroma, just right for a witbier.

Served with lemon, in this case, which I had to manually extrude from the pint glass's brim. Would have gone better with the fish dinner this accompanied.

At the fore, really tasty, full with fruit, big blast of hops, but somehow a touch sour, left me puzzled and dissatisfied. Produced a pucker on the palate, a tightness on the tongue.

Flavor sags some in the middle, too. It acts just like a witbier at the beginning, then quits halfway through, and I'm saddened by the paucity of body and texture...doesn't fail all the way, though, there's still some remnants of that spicey, fruity flavor, but they're too, too faint. Little finish, and once done, I'd forgotten what had happpened.

Followed this with a pint of Bell's Oberon, which bore none of those failings.
I can only be glad of the popularity of this particular beer, for at least these folks are trying something different. It's a pity, though, that so many think that they're actually drinking a product of Belgium, and I hope they move on to better beers. (1,203 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +9.9%

Appearance - A nice golden/slightly amber hue. Small head at first, but disappears shortly after pouring. Nice looking beer overall.

Smell - A nice, fruity scent with a touch of honey mixed in. Smooth an aromatic. A colorful boquet all around.

Taste - Surprisngly good flavor. Some fruity hints in there, with the ttouch of honey in there. A wheat/grain flavor that is very good, and sweet on top of it.

Mouthfeel - smooth! Very easy going in and not overly carbonated or offensive. A good feel in and out.

Drinkability - A lot of pubs run this on special, and I order it often when it is. It can be enjoyed over a few hours without a bad flavor or a poor feeling after drinking a few. Easy going down and easy to maintain.

Overall - Not much expectation from me because I usually despise anything with the name "Coors" on it. However, this was a pleasant beer with a good flavor and good personality. Easily one of the biggest surprises in a beer so far...and it was a pleasant one. (999 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a hazy orange with creamy white head.

Smells okay with some fruity, spicy notes.

The taste is sweet and mild but really lacks depth. Supposedly modeled after Hoegardenn but falls very flat.

The mouthfeel is smooth but thin and its drinkability is hurt by the fact that it is uninteresting.

note: A year and a half ago I would have said this is one of the best beers ever, but what did I know then, nothing. However this beer showed me then that there were more out there than AB, Miller, and Coors (I found out later that coors made this). So I think this is the one that helped me bridge the gap from nothing to something. Although I'll admit I wasn't old enough to be drinking it and shouldn't have known better.

side note: I'm now a bartender and wonder what the fascination with the orange slice in this beer is. I know it makes it cool but...nevermind. (882 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -8.7%

Good name for a wit beer; too bad it's not a better example of one. Pours a hazy light golden orange with a big frothy white head. Smells of wheat, slight adjuncts, and a little carroty fruitiness. Where's the lemon zest, coriander, etc.? Tastes much like it smells. Goes down pretty easy and I'd rather have this than many of the standard macro pale lagers. (358 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +12.8%

this beer pours cloudy light brownish-yellow. the head is about a half inch think with fairly large bubbles. it soon vanishes into nothingness. just about nothing sticks to the side of the glass after taking a few drinks.

after the first drink, a lemony tartness is the first thing that comes to mind. i have heard talk of the spices used in this beer, do to my inexperience at disecting smells and taste i cannot say exactly what i am tasting, but it is definately spiced. it is good if you are looking for a change but can't stomach a sickly sweet desert beer.

it tastes a bit watered down, but i think this helps with its drinkability.

this is a great summer beer. (677 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured a hazy yellow with a small white head. Barkeep tossed in a lemon slab, which kind of dominated the smell.

Not a bad tasting brew at all. Has that lovely Hefe mouthfeel, and could possibly be quaffed without interuption if one was inclined. Some floral and citrus in the back with a moderate hop finish.

I'm completely shcoked that a beer this decent could be made by a mega-brewer. If it's the best looking option on tap I'd go with it again. (456 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -28.6%

an active, bubbly head flares up and dies fast, it was white. the beer is a semi cloudy orange with little activity as far as bubbles commin up. there was nothing in the way of sediment in the bottle. a slight scent, nothing much here, a bit unfocused. fruit of strawberry, zest of lemon and orange, next to no malt or wheat in the scent and a scant bit of spice but it smells pretty lame altogether to me. the flavor lacks a definate wheat there is some wheat like body but the flavor just dosen't have much in the way of wheat or for that matter, much of a malt. the spice in this beer was all alone, stranded and out of balance. corriander was what i thought i noted but all the same it was a vegetable type flavor with the spice. also notable was an aftertaste from hell. it was similar to the feeling of having just drank cokeacola, it tasted fabricated. the mouthfeel was ok i suppose, bubbly and forgivably watery. i didn't like this beer but if i did it would be drinkable, i've seen alot of girls and even a few people with a palate drink this but i don't think i ever will again. i'd take a high life first (i'd also take a hoegaarden first) and only stranded on an island. sorry, i just didn't like it. (1,213 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company