Join our email list →

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Witbier | 5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,571 | Hads: 6,470
3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

This is a beer that is well above average (in my opinion) in the field of mass produced beer. The taste is a very pleasant, if understated, especially considering it is made by Coors. The appearance is cloudy and confuses a lot of my college buddies, because they think good beer is Bud Light. Although far from the best Belgian, it is something that can be found generally anywhere.

Also, this beer is great on tap. If you ever eat at O'Charleys restaraunts try it with the Black and bleu caeser salad. It is a great combo.

2.39/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a light pale yellow with no head and no lacing. Best looking "macro" I've seen in a while. Now what bothered me about this beer is the smell and the taste. For me there was one overpowering characteristic - sunscreen. I don't know why and only one other person has agreed with me, but I couldn't get it out of my mind that it tasted like sunscreen. There were other hints at citrus and pepper, but they were very deep in the background. Felt decent on the mouth - a bit too much carbonation tho. And this would be a drinkable beer for me if it didn't taste like sunscreen. Not bad for Coors though. I'd say try it when not much else is available.

2.23/5  rDev -34.4%

Pours a light golden color with NO head and NO lacing.
Smell is nice wheat, spice, sweet malt.
Taste is something I can't really explain. It tastes as though there are chemical additives, sweet malts with a somewhat dry finish? I am at a loss here, maybe some sort of grains? Either way, I don't like it.
Mouthfeel is light bodied with appropriate carbination.
Drinkability is below average. The taste is terrible I will only ever drink half of one of these. I am going to dump the rest out.

This beer is not good for this style. Infact it is not good at all.I hated the taste, and I can't finish it. Terrible!!

Considering who makes it, this beer is not bad. I've had it in several different places, both in bottles and on draft, and I haven't been disappointed; the quality has been very even keeled.

Hazing golden pour with a light white head. Dissipates quickly, leaving a nice thin lace. Light sweet malts and grains on the nose and in flavor. The body is weak and leaves a dry aftertaste. There are much better beers of this style available, but it is average by itself.

2.77/5  rDev -18.5%

What stated with a lovely light head with delicate lace, finished quite uneventful. It looks like a belgian, it smells like a belgian, but it just doesn't have the complexity to be a belgian.

The smell had my mouth watering with it's promise fruity, flowery goodness. Even the first taste on your tongue is promising but soons just dies. Flat. I would like it more if the taste was more lingering and complex.

Not offensive so I'd consider it easy to drink.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%

Paid $6.99 for a 6-pack

The appearence is cloudy/hazy golden colored base. It pours a medium white head, that barely retains and laces nowhere. The aroma yells floral and fruity-sweet smells all over it, it's quite nice.

The taste was average, disappointing from a nice smell. It was evenly balanced but something just wasn't there to stand this beer out... maybe they brew with corn - not malted barley??? The mouthfeel is a little rough but I can manage it and the drinkability is good, since witbiers are nice to drink.

Final Thought: I had this a few months ago before I was a BA and loved it, now it is just losing stock in my beer portfolio...

Pours a cloudy, hazy pale orange color, light fruity and yeasty aromas, small white foamy head that doesn't last too long. Spicy wheat and orange flavors, very sweet and tart for the style, medium body with a soft mouthfeel finishes sweet, a bit better than I expected, just a little sweeter than I like.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

Pouring this out of a keg was a real task. Even with a good poor I was left with half a cup full of head. We resulted in filling a pitcher full first then pouring that into the cups. This was not the first time I have had Blue Moon, but it was the best tasting Blue Moon I have had. The initial scent is of citrus and spice. After a drink you get the spice up front then a blast of citrus following. The beer doesn't seem as smooth as other whites I have had in the past, but for the price you really can't beat it when found on sale.

2.53/5  rDev -25.6%

Artificial. That's the word that best describes this beer. I must somewhat preface this by saying that if I knew that it was made by Coors, I wouldn't have purchased it. Anyway, it pours a somewhat strange, yellow-brown color. It looks, well, artificial. Virtually no head at all. The smell is perfumy, if that makes sense. It smells like artificial jasmine/honeysuckle, somewhat like an air-freshener. The taste is sort of like domestic beer with flavor added, and tastes extremely flowery, but, yes - artificial. If there is any somewhat redeeming quality, it has a decent mouthfeel, somewhat peppery and light. It is also somewhat drinkable, because of it's lightness. Don't be fooled by the "Belgian White Ale" label. It's domestic swill.

1.66/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I was thoroughly unimpressed by this beer. I had it on tap at Angelino's in a suburb of Chicago. It was served by the bartender with an orange slice which I promptly removed. And until I came to BA today to write my review I had no idea it was a Coors product.

The flavor is disappointing for Witbier. It tastes very citrusy in a fake way. Very unrefined flavor. Distinct flavors, if there are any to be had, are covered up by a slightly skunky taste followed by a blast of citrus. The mouthfeel is pretty thin. The best thing going for this beer is the appearance. It looks great in the glass but otherwise, I recommend you stay away from it.

After I had reluctantly finished the entire glass the bartender poured a second glass of the Blue Moon for me assuming I wanted another. I said "Thanks but not thanks" and moved on to another beer.

4.35/5  rDev +27.9%

I was very impressed with this beer. It has a great taste and is easy to drink. Not too heavy and surely not lite - just right. Try it with an orange slice to add an even better taste. I will be buying this one again for sure. Coors got a winner here!

2.78/5  rDev -18.2%

Hazy golden with a hint of orange color, little carbonation and no head or lace.
Sweet nose as a wheat beer should have.
Taste sweet and has somewhat fruity flavor with a destinct citric flavor that turns sour.
Mouthfeel is decent, not too thin or thick.
I had the Allagash wheat beer yesterday which totally blows this one out of the water.

-Oelergud

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

Cloudy orange/amber look. Smells like lemon flowers. Had a citrus, lemon, flower taste. With wheat. Good mouthfeel. Very drinkable, though with the orange slice, I kept thinking the lemon smell was soapy. I really liked this beer for a summer flavor. Would eat the orange slice first, then drink the beer without it. Just have the orange for it's nutrition.

3.44/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured into a tall glass to get a good head going. Beer is hazy-gold with a foamy white head that despite a vigorous pour has no staying power. Literally vanished after 60 seconds, and no amount of agitation would revive it. Carbonation is moderate.

Nose is lovely...hints of lemongrass, soap, wheat malt. Warming brings out a more complex fruitiness and barely-there alcoholic floral notes.

Taste is very mellow and pleasant. Not much deliverance on the promise of the smell, however. Light, lemony, and insubstantial. Only the barest hint of malt and hops. As a copy of the Belgian ales something is missing - candi sugar? Complexity? Hard to say.

As to mouthfeel and aftertaste: not much of either. This isn't necessarily a bad thing for what I would consider a summertime quaffer. Save the stouts and porters for autumn - I want something light, refreshing, and inoffensive during the hotter months. This does the trick, giving it high marks for drinkability.

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

Ok first time I have seen this brew up here in Salem, Oregon so here goes.
Bought in the 12 oz brown long neck.
Its a nice enough beer to look at hazy straw gold..but the head is pretty small and goes fast..some splotchy lace left on glass sides.
for a "wit" the aroma is average at best..theres none of the expected spiciness here..just nice malts ..and a faint banana pudding odor.
Again the taste is inoffensive but not very exciting.its mainly malts..though I dodetect some VERY faint coriander.
Pretty average on the palte..nothing out of the ordinary.
For all kits faults its still quite quaffable..but if you want an American interpretation of a wheat..try New Belgiums Sunshine Beer

Appearance: Pours a hazy yellow-brown with considerable suspended sediment. The large white head unfortunately retains quite poorly, completely disappearing in a minute or so.

Aroma: Yeast is quite prominent in the aroma, as well as strong wheat malts, which together deliver a bready character.

Taste: Opens with a slightly lemony note and faint cloves. Solid, slightly tart wheat notes carry the taste throughout. Finishes with a mildly sweet note and a faint bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Soft and fairly full, with a slight sting of carbonation.

Drinkability: A passable summer beer, but for the style, its nowhere near the quality of Celis White or the superb Hoegarden. Far better than most Coors' products, but much better Wits can be had as well.

2.53/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Since I was not in Mass, I had a rather poor selection of beer at my local Stop n Shop. The most interesting thing tonight looked like this Blue Moon Belgian White. Since I found out it was from Coors, I wasn't expecting much. I wafted the brew once opened, it was reminiscent of Coors Light, having a very 'macrobrew' stench. It was smoother than other Coors beers (as a white beer should be), but just seemed like a Coors Light clone with a little 'unfiltered' taste mixed in. All in all, I was not too impressed.

3.13/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a hazy golden color with a tall white head that fades into a creamy lace. Nose is soft biscuity malts along with some fresh wheat and a bit of a lemon twang. Light in body with a rather strong active carbonation. Taste begins sweet with a touch of candied sugar followed by some yeasty bread dough and the same lemon twang that was present in the aroma. Not a bad beer by any means but also not something I’m likely to buy again anytime soon.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

not a bad brew considering coors pumps this one out, but still has work that needs to be done on it. it pours an almost too hazy yellow colour, with a surpisingly small head. the smell is quite faint, with some citrus and spice. average, at best. a moderate wheat flavour is present at first but an over spiced flavour quickly takes over and dominates the rest, including the citrus flavours typical of this style. the proper flavours are here but the balance is way off. this one is relatively easy drinking, but will usually only be found in places where there are better selections available. i remember this one being better pre-coors.

2.65/5  rDev -22.1%

Twist top brown 12 oz. bottle with a date code: OCT10 10243Q 04, which I’m going to assume means best by Oct. 10th, 2004. I’m at a loss as to why they need to be cryptic.
Aroma: Some mild spices, maybe a touch of coriander and a citric, possibly orange peel note. The coriander started to come out a bit more as it warmed.
Appearance: A fast rising white head of large bubbles that promised not to stay around long, and kept its promise. No lacing and a hazy dark yellow color.
Flavor: Heavy on the coriander and a bit of a honey taste, both true to style. Unfortunately, that’s really all there is. I’m not getting any of the wheat flavors, and there is none of the sour lactic taste I enjoy in witbiers.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with fizzy carbonation and a fairly dry finish.
Overall Impression: I’m a wit fan, and while this may be a “gateway” wit to draw in people to the style, I’m afraid it will just tell them “a wit is just a beer with some coriander”. While this beer isn’t too far from style, it just lacks, for lack of a term; soul. It just came across as a bit watery and one sided, and that side was coriander. Coriander is a tough ingredient. I’m thinking I got a fairly fresh sample, and if it aged a bit, the coriander would fade a bit. It’s also a bit sweet, which draws away from the “refreshing” aspects I look for with the style, which hurts drinkability. Not a bad beer, but not a really good one either.

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, twist off top. Pours a dull soft light brownish orange color, cloudy and just a bit of lacing. Nose is a bit unpleasant, sort of a sharp solventy smell. Head dissolves to a tiny bubble sheen. Notes of yeast,spice, coriander, a hint of soap, cream cycle ice cream pop. So so wit, its so widely available, probably a good beginner beer to turn a newbie on to. I try to avoid Coors products, cuz of their politics...I'll continue to avoid this one in the future

4.4/5  rDev +29.4%

Holy cow, what a shocker this was. Picked it up just to review another beer and went back for more. Pours a cloudy honey gold with a froth head that became a monster. The smell is very citrusy, lemons honey with a hop tone. The taste is impressive, could really feel a balance of apricots, lemon and hops that grabbed hold of my taste buds and wouldn't let go. Feels warm and inviting in the mouth. This has become a staple in the fridge and who would have thought from Coors.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

I was offered an orange slice with this tap! Normally it's a lemon. Either way, I typically don't partake.

Poured hazy gold to slightly orange color. The head was thin but the sheathing action was consistent. Somewhat of a yeasty aroma... nothing else jumped out at me. A mild astringency and graininess in the flavor. This is an adequate thirst killer. The light mouth coating in the finish was not unpleasant.

I'd have to call it my favorite Coors product, but what else do they have widely available?

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%

The beer poured just as a Wit should. A cloudy golden color with a very ample white head. I wish my wits would pour like this. The head retention was quite good and it left a nice lace on the side of the glass.

The aroma of this beer did not match its appearance. I could get a hint of honey but no citrus or other aromas. The hops were not present either.

The flavor was NOT complex. I could not detect any citrus or any other additive. There is some malt sweetness and no hops. To bad this tastes more like a Coors than a Hoegaarden. I really, REALLY wanted to give this beer a good score after I saw it in the glass.

The mouthfeel is very nice. It is approaching a medium body and the carbonation played with the roof of my mouth.

It has the look and mouthfeel of a great wit. Now all they need to do is put some taste to go along with the rest to have a damn nice beer. I hope that Coors will keep trying to make a better beer.

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Gauzy yellow-amber with a bone white head that looks soft and doesn't leave any lace. Beer color: nailed it. Head/lace: missed nail, hit thumb. The nose has a trace amount of Belgian yeastiness. It's spicy-earthy, but a musty graininess is still evident. Not bad, not good.

The flavor doesn't cut it. The beer tastes like a macro lager that is trying desperately to be something else, namely a Belgian wit. I'm having a hard time mustering up the enthusiasm to break this down. Let's just say that it's a grain-like malty, slightly sour, mildly sweet beer with the suggestion of spice. The body/mouthfeel is average at best. On a good note, it doesn't lose focus at the end of the mouthful or at the end of the bottle.

Blue Moon isn't offensive, but that's hardly a recommendation. I will say that it's the best Coors product--and maybe even the best BMC product--that I've had yet.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company