1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,327 | Reviews: 1,410 | Show All Ratings:
Roguer

Connecticut

3.01/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Yes, unbelievably, I'd never had a Blue Moon.

Nice appearance: thin (1/2 finger) white head with decent retention and OK lacing. Brew is a cloudy orange, very nice.

Slightly tangy aroma, heavy wheat, and some Belgian yeast. Fairly middle of the road.

Sadly, the flavor is the biggest letdown here: it tastes like carbonated bananas. There's very little citrus at all (I did not have an orange slice added), and the spices seem to get lost in the wheat malts. As a witbier, I didn't like it at all; as a beer, period, I can think of mass produced lagers I'd rather have.

Decent carbonation, nicely thick for the style - medium overall feel.

I don't know if my expectations were too high or too low, but I just did not like this beer's flavor. Witbiers aren't my favorite style, but I do like them; this beer in particular just didn't work for me. Still, it's ubiquitous and inexpensive, so you should still give it a try.

12-05-2013 21:52:28 | More by Roguer
Captain_Komamura

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - a cloudy orange/yellow color, with a bubbly head that disappears fast.

Smell - It is of the spices and the oranges, with the wheat as more of a background.

Taste - The wheat is the main flavor, with the oranges and spices lightly over it.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied and good carbonation.

Overall - A decent Belgian beer, could have had more spices and oranges to it.

11-30-2013 04:05:27 | More by Captain_Komamura
IndianaAggie

Indiana

4.26/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Love this beer, currently my favorite. Has a great taste and after taste. Sitting down with a 6 pack of Blue Moon on a saturday/sunday evening is a great way to end the day and start a new week. Just downed a few while watching Monday night football.

11-12-2013 05:47:09 | More by IndianaAggie
NoBeerSnob

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had my first Blue Moon while enjoying a meal of blue crabs and shrimp. It came in a chilled glass, with the requisite orange slice. It was the perfect accompaniment to the old bay seasoned shellfish. I’ve been keeping some chilled in the fridge ever since.

10-31-2013 11:34:38 | More by NoBeerSnob
jjamadorphd

4.34/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Blue Moon's Belgian White is very, very good. I wasn't impressed at first with it's appearance out of the bottle - cloudy Belgian Whites normally do that to me. However, from that point forward I was happy with the experience. A very appealing wheat smell was followed up with a bold and refreshing tang to the taste buds. I have to say it's probably my favorite Blue Moon to date.

10-18-2013 01:57:35 | More by jjamadorphd
Mongrel

3.03/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a hazy orange-gold with a finger of fizzy head that quickly subsides to just a film. Slight whiff of wheat/straw on the nose. Taste is bright, with plenty of orange peel and a little vanilla and Belgian spice. Taste is short-lived though; thin and one dimensional. I remember this being a pretty refreshing beer on tap, but there's a slick artificial sweetness this time that's kinda ruining things. Decent beer at best - works ok in the summertime in lieu of anything else.

10-11-2013 00:13:13 | More by Mongrel
mfnmbvp

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle, with best by date of September 30, 2013 printed on the bottleneck. Ahh yes, Blue Moon Belgian White, the flagship beer of the Blue Moon brand. Although it is of course not an actual craft beer, this was one of the gateway beers that led me to where I am today, and for that I am thankful.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours one finger of off-white fizzy suds that disappears almost instantly. Body color is a bright golden orange. I should have just shoved an orange wedge into the bottle and be done with it. Looks pretty flat and unappealing.

S - Some bubblegum malts, light grain, wheat, and oranges. Smell is pretty bland and nonexistent.

T - Taste follows the nose: grains, wheat, lemongrass, some bubblegum flavor, light cloves, and orange juice. It doesn't really need an orange wedge in there, but it's all I keep thinking about so it won't look so terrible. Taste reminds me of a creamy Chobani yogurt with fruit on the bottom in a way.

M - Feel is crisp, carbonated, grainy, and somewhat juicy with some orange flavoring on the palate. A fitting end.

Overall, it isn't the foulest beer put out by some of the big boys, and it's certainly better than Shock Top Belgian White, so that's a plus. An easy-drinking, "safe" faux-craft offering for those willing to move a bit beyond the realm of Miller Lite and Coors Light. Unless you're ordering this at a dive bar, there really isn't much need for this, but if you're reading this you probably already knew that.

Blue Moon Belgian White ---3/5.

09-27-2013 20:51:39 | More by mfnmbvp
ISmith87

Arizona

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Blue Moon Belgian White

Appearance – 4.0 – nice orange/amber color, slightly hazy as it should be for a wheat beer, Not very much head but hey who care the orange looks badass!

Smell – 3.75 – orange, wheat, citrus, nice breadiness

Taste – 3.75 – orange, wheaty breadiness, papaya, mango, rice, corn, typical “craft beer' dumbed down for the masses

Mouthfeel – 3.75 – light medium, no alc, aftertaste is light/sweet breadiness with some orange in there

Overall – 3.75 – it's alright, I'd get a Blue Moon if it was all I could get (aka I'm out for happy hour and it's 2 bucks... u know).

Serving type: can

09-19-2013 17:07:36 | More by ISmith87
mikethebeerguy

3.06/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

This beer may be spiced and all that jazz... too much hype for this craft brew. It's very flavorful but not in a great way. On top of that it's expensive. It's really not that good to the point where I would not recommend it. I certainly see no resemblance to wheat beer which is funny because it says on the bottle that it's unfiltered and Belgian style. Save yourself the trouble and get leff or hoegaarden.

09-11-2013 03:28:54 | More by mikethebeerguy
Redog

3.79/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The Belgian White is the only Blue Moon that I know. It's one of my favorite beers because of it's distinctive character. When I have a taste for it there's no brew I know that's as satisfying. But it's not a beer that I want to drink everyday–too much character. Possibly I'm overrating it because of limited experience with other brews of this type. On the other hand, I've rated it low enough so that I have plenty of room to rate something else much higher, if and when . . . .

09-10-2013 02:55:43 | More by Redog
joeseppy

3.64/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy golden honey yellow pour with a huge white frothy head.

Wonderful citrus smell with orange leading the way. A yeasty sweetness rising.

Citrusy yeast flavor with subtle hints of orange spice.

Thicker body than most in style and a touch sweet. Graham cracker in the nose with orange on the palate.

I've had this off and on for the past few years. Excellent for the price and adding the orange does accentuate the experience. Can never really have more than a few at one time-kinda like Leiny's Summer Shandy or any other sweetened brew. Wife really enjoys it, so it is in the house since Stella Artois went awry. And lets face it-chicks dig it!

09-06-2013 00:15:22 | More by joeseppy
Beerwolf666

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Seems like a Lot of people really enjoy Slagging this Beer,and call it a very poor example of a Belgian white/Witbier ~and while I will totally Agree there are much better Belgian Witbiers made here in America,[Flying Dog Breweries "Woody Creek" Being one of the Best IMHO] blue Moon's Belgian White [Coors] still is a Very Nice Witbier for the money,[About 14 bucks a 12ver] I Really like the fact that I can afford to drink a Decent Belgian White beer all summer long without going Broke,Because this style of beer is pretty much my Favorite in the sweltering Hot dog days of summer,when I do have the Money,I Usually spring for Flying Dog's Exellent "Woody Creek"[a Stellar Witbier] With Sam Adams "Summer Ale" being my second choice,but during the work week,I pretty much stock the fridge with Blue Moon's Belgian White.When Poured into a regular Pint Glass,it looks very Inviting,a bit cloudy and Hazy like most wheat beers,I usually get about an Inch of a foamy,Fluffy white head,with some very nice evervesent Carbonation~
Smell~Nice & Pleasent,very wheaty with a hint of Orange in the Background,and a bit Peppery.the Tatse pretty much follows the nose in this case,Wheaty with a nice Orange zest,very Crisp and clean,super refreshing,the low end ABV & IBU's make this a Gr8 Session brew for those lazy hot,Humid days.
This Beer goes ok with Bugers,Dogs,some BBQ'd & Grilled Fare,as long as it is not very spicy or Tangy,not a gr8 Pizza or Wings beer,more of a Pre~Meal beer,a gr8 "Apertif" 4sure,a few of these before the Grub shows up is always Nice;)Cheers & Peace2All.

09-03-2013 18:06:30 | More by Beerwolf666
Jdbateman83

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I love how the majority of the overly complex negatives reviews mention Coors as the maker of this beer. In sorry was I using two many words with over 6 letters in a row for you smucks to understand? This beer is simple, easy drinking. Of course it can not be compared to an import wit beer, because its not, and not meant to be. If you can find an import for $14 for a 24 box then by all means be my guest and go search. If you want to have a decent wit beer introduction or experience and don't want to pay $4 fr a bottle, then his is an excellent choice. Easy drinking, and smooth.

08-29-2013 04:24:34 | More by Jdbateman83
Miketwolf21

2.3/5  rDev -32.4%

A: This is definitely not a wit bier, or a white ale for that matter. It appears to be the paleness of a sierra nevada.
S: There is a meddling of fruity esters and not one I particularly enjoy. Nearly indistinguishable otherwise. A slightly discernible peppery note from the yeast. Not the style that it strives to be, but not offensive in any right.
T: It wants to call itself a Belgian (style) wit bier, but the earthy, white peppery notes from the expected yeasty are absent. In its place are a medley of ripe fruit, indiscernible, and malty sweetness that is very much so cloying. Reminds me of minute maid fruit punch.
M: I expect a effervescent and vehement bubbly feel to liquid, but my expectations are immediately relinquished to pedestrian and somewhat bland light-viscosity-moderate-carbonation that seems to be prescribed.
O: The attributes materialized came about due to great deliberation . There is little passion in this beer. Not something to scoff at, but sadly I prefer miller high life to this.

08-16-2013 06:06:04 | More by Miketwolf21
teromous

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy golden colored body with a short medium white fluffy head that leaves no lacing.

S: It has a fairly strong coriander smell along with a hint of vanilla.

T: Mild coriander flavor and some light pancake batter flavor. A hint of citrus. Extremely faint bitterness.

M: Goes down perfectly, feels nearly perfect in the mouth. It feels a bit thin and watery. Good carbonation. Otherwise it feels very nice.

O: It's a good easy drinking beer. The downside to this beer is you don't really get Belgian yeast characteristics from it. If you're looking for an Americanized version of a wit then this is the ticket. It's a good tasting beer and I would drink it again. It wouldn't be my recommendation for a person looking for a good witbier, but I would recommend it to somebody who is looking for something enjoyable to drink.

08-13-2013 22:19:35 | More by teromous
falloutsnow

2.38/5  rDev -30%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

From: Remaining bottle from EP birthday party
Date: Best by 2013-09-03
Glass: New Belgium globe glass

At times more reminiscent of a German hefeweizen than a Belgian wit, Blue Moon/Coors' attempt comes across as excessively sweet, almost candy-like at times, with muted emphasis on the other aspects of the beer, such as malt or spice complexity. Not necessarily bad, but typically American - excessively sweet and not particularly complex. Not one I'd return to.

I'm not really sure how this beer would look more pedestrian: perhaps if it had yeast or protein chunks floating in it. A vigorous pour produces a 1.5cm mass of foam atop the body of the beer, made up of medium and small-sized bubbles, with well below average retention time, the foam lingering for seconds. The head recedes to a very thin ring around the perimeter of the glass, leaving no lacing along the sides of the glass, either. Body is a dark brown-orange color, far too dark for the style, with light bringing out golden yellow hues. Carbonation is visible through the very hazy (80% opaque) body, small in number and activity.

Aroma is rather muted, primarily just candy sweetness, with muddied orange peel, apricot, and coriander existing in the background, subsumed under the sweetness. Rather lacking for the style, little malt character aside from sweetness, and the spices and herbs are too obscured or indistinct.

Flavor is quite sweet with most of the focus on this and soggy wheat malt, mildly obvious apple cider, orange peel and apricot, and spices in the background. Front of palate finds candi sugar sweetness mixed with wheat malt, apple cider, dried orange peel, faint ginger, and slight mineral character. Mid-palate of fairly bland, rather sweetened wheat malt and apple cider, with orange peel, apricot, and coriander further in the background. Back of palate picks up wheat malt, slight pepperiness, apple cider, and heavily muted orange peel. Aftertaste of candi sugar sweetness with hints of wheat malt and yeast.

Beer is medium to medium-light in body, with carbonation of medium intensity, resulting in a lightly effervescent, slightly foamy mouthfeel that comes across as a bit too stagnant for the style. Closes semi-dry, with substantial stickiness lingering on the tongue and around the lips.

08-09-2013 02:13:56 | More by falloutsnow
Ryan_Graham

Iowa

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a tangerine color. Tiny head fades almost immediately. No lacing. A lot of carbonation. Citrusy wheat smell. Goes down smooth with a light fruity finish. Pretty decent flavor for a common beer. It's watered down but not bad. Overall it's a go-to domestic beer. If there are no craft options, I'd go with a blue moon.

08-03-2013 03:41:38 | More by Ryan_Graham
Tr0janSlay3r

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

So just want to start that I did not put any orange in this beer because I did not want to go away from the beer's natural flavor. I am excited to review this brew especially because so many regular beer drinkers enjoy it!

Appearance- Somewhat see through with about a one finger head. There is a little carbonation but not as overwhelming as I would have thought. This is a golden orange color brew with zero to little lacing.

Smell- I smell a decent amount of malt from the get go with a definite hint of orange zest following. To be honest it almost has a spoiled orange smell to it, like it is past its prime. I actually pick up some pineapple too but I know that is not prevalent in this beer.

Taste- I get a copious amount of adjunct malt right on the tip of my palate. There is only but a hint of orange of the initial sip. With the second gulp, I get a lot more of the orange but still it tastes so fake, I see why they tell you to put a real one into the beer itself.

Mouthfeel- Medium to light bodied with very high drinkability. It goes down incredibly smooth and you could easily drink a lot of them. It is however kind of watery at the same time for a whit bier blue moon is definitely on the lower side of mouthfeel.

Overall, it’s okay. I am impressed it is from Coors, but needless to say I can tell it is from Coors. I bet this is much better with the orange, but I wanted to review the beer itself. This beer really just has a fake taste to it which I did not enjoy too much. I would recommend this to anyone who is not a craft beer drinker and wants to broaden their horizons. CHEERS!

07-29-2013 00:00:59 | More by Tr0janSlay3r
RobeerCop

1.94/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

This is my first posting ever. I am new to rating beers, but have tried many, many beers of many varieties. Without knowing the finesse needed to accurately describe a beer, I want to give this a whirl.

Appearance: Somewhat golden and hazy, but not quite like other full-fledged witbiers (I just betrayed the fact that I think this is less than what it calls itself). The appearance is actually what makes this beer appealing as to the untrained eye it looks somewhat hazier than the average mass manufactured beer.

Smell: Sour, fruity, and something else I couldn't identify at first (please see taste)...

Taste: Dull Sour, barel wheaty, the orange peel they claim to put in doesn't shine through quite clearly. There is something else in this I tasted at first that really, really drew me away.... corainder. Corainder is essentially cilantro (from the same plant). In an attempt to be sophisticated, this was added. Please remove the corainder.

Mouthfeel: I'm still trying to get over the taste.

Overall: This beer is trying desperately to be something it is not. The fancy smancy spiciness is just killing its ability to be considered drinkable. Underneath my gag reflex I was able to sense that this is indeed a wheaty beer looking for respect. I would drink this regularly if not for the added spiciness.

07-28-2013 18:52:23 | More by RobeerCop
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

4.06/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have had this brew many times in the past of course, both in a bottle and on draught. Actually it has been a while and tried it again this past Saturday night. Date on bottle was "Jun1013" so it was pretty fresh. Poured in one of my favorite glasses, a 14 ounce Vikings glass at 36 degrees F from my beer cooler in our home bar. (Appearance) Pours a hazy orangish/yellow in color with a 1-finger foamy white head with some lacing. (Smells) Of wheat and grains with orange peel and spice. (Mouthful) Very pleasant with a full-bodied feel with good carbonation. Very easy to drink with no bitter aftertaste. (Overall). This is a great spring-fall brew, especially in the summer. Very easy to drink and never be disappointed with a Blue Moon.

07-23-2013 19:36:00 | More by BeerWithMike
Brew_42

2.84/5  rDev -16.5%

As far as beers that are available at almost any bar you go to, Blue Moon is probably at the top of the list. It isn't as good as most craft beers, but if you are at a bar that has a very limited selection, chances are that Blue Moon is on tap and it is much better than the alternatives.

Appearance-Oranges and hazy. I have always thought BLue Moon looks great for some reason. The orange is almost luminescent, like butter beer in the Harry Potter movies.

S-Citrusy

T-Mostly citrus with a hint ofspices

MF-Crisp and refreshing

Not the best beer but the best of the standard beers that are on tap everywhere.

07-18-2013 08:24:53 | More by Brew_42
Jadjunk

Georgia

3.49/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

"Brewed with white wheat and oats, Blue Moon features a crisp wheat finish and the perfect combination of orange peel and coriander. Bring out Blue Moon's natural spices by serving it in a Pilsner glass with an orange-slice garnish." Brewed in the style of a Belgian Witbier. Belgian White is the central focus year-round by Coors' Blue Moon Craft line. Available in 6 packs, 12 packs and even variety packs, where I gathered mine.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a Blue Moon pint glass. Served north of 53º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a frothy off-white head of a fizzy consistency over a heavily clouded golden-amber body. Carbonation is plentiful and excited, head retention is average at best, settling too quickly for a wheat-based beer. 2.5

(Smell) Aromas of wheat malt, a pinch of sweet orange rind & light orange syrup, a dash of coriander seeds, a modest low alpha floral hop note, and a mild grain alcohol note. There's a moderate tartness to this beer that keeps the sweetness in balance. Aroma is a bit sharp with esters and phenols in places. Potency is above medium. 3

(Taste) A mildly sweet wheat malt blends together nicely with a delicate bittersweet orange peel, a dash of orange flavoring, and finishes with a subtle fluffy, yet modest coriander spice and mellow floral hop bitterness. The flavors are far better presented in the flavor than in the aroma, with a lot less imperfections than predicted. 3.75

(Mouthfeel) Texture is slick, slightly fluffy and mildly thick from the wheat and malt character. Carbonation adds some mild creaminess and contributes to a mild spritely finish. Body is medium for a witbier, light/medium overall. Alcohol presence is very light, very well concealed by the malt, orange and spices. It's a fair pairing with the flavors involved. 3.75

(Overall) A deserving frontman for the Blue Moon lineup, this beer has proven itself to trump nearly any seasonal or limited release that Blue Moon has done since. The flavor is mild yet well balanced with an approachable subtlety, and few esters and phenols hamper the drinkability of this beer. The orange and spice, while mild by the style standards, do great by this beer. It's shocking, but not unwelcome that Coors could craft something so decent by a craft lover's standards. 3.5

Coors Brewing Company's
Blue Moon Belgian White
3.49/5.00

07-15-2013 00:25:11 | More by Jadjunk
BigBrewStu

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%

Pretty tasty beer! It is the best one from the Blue Moon label (minus Grand Cru) that you see floating around in 12/24 packs. It isn't terribly exciting, but the citrus undertones are noteworthy. A nice treat that is worth enjoying--especially on a hot summer day.

07-04-2013 05:46:42 | More by BigBrewStu
CadensDad

4.23/5  rDev +24.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer has a nice golden color to it and the overall mouthful and taste is very nice. This is my go to beer. Very good session beer and throw a slice of orange in and you have an ultimate summer beer. I have a half of this in my kegerator right now. Enjoy!

07-03-2013 03:11:03 | More by CadensDad
FLima

Brazil

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hazy orange color with a thin head with short retention.
Light aroma of oranges, yeast, vanilla and wheat.
Flavor is much richer than nose. Wheaty with taste of oranges, some banana and a touch of coriander.
Medium body with medium carbonation and tiny bubbles. Effervescent with a zesty feeling.
Not extraordinary, but a good session beer that has also worked as a bridge to the craft beer world.

06-28-2013 17:48:53 | More by FLima