Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,532 | Hads: 6,189

Look: Golden Haze.
Smell: Grainy, Earthy.
Taste: More like an orange peel on intake, nice orange taste as aftertaste.
Feel: A little gritty but not bad.
Overall: I rated this a 3 across the board. Nothing I hate, nothing I love. Aftertaste is a little better than the taste while it's in your mouth. I tasted orange when drinking, but didn't smell citrus that much in the smell??? (384 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

There are a lot of better witbiers out there. That being said you do a lot worse taste wise than blue moon. Good choice when the beer selection is very limited. (160 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Tried and true. A lot of these reviews are far too negative or positive. It's a good tasting beer that is light and easy to drink. Nothing more, nothing less. (158 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +23.6%

This is my go to domestic, bothers me that it's not considered as such in most bars. Good flavor, little after taste. Have to understand that it's a sour beer. Don't let the snobs talk you out of trying it. (206 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Brownish straw in color. The flavor profile is surprisingly decent and the body was reasonably hearty for the style.

Still, not something I'd recommend. (154 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +44.9%

Look: Very Orange-y color
Smell: orange
Taste: orange, deliciously crisp citrus flavors, light
Aftertaste: orange stays with you for a bit
Overall: I absolutely love this beer, no matter what season it just reminds me of late summer/early fall. absolutely my favorite- tastes better from the tap (295 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A family friend had me try one and left a six pack at the house. Ill be honest, I'm not really into heavy beers. I like a beer that will go down like water. To me, blue moon has a weird viscosity and tastes like stale cerceal. I wouldn't buy it but i'd definitely drink it if someone handed me one. (298 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beer snobs will always hate that which is mass produced. Yet Blue Moon never disapoints. I've tried numerous Witbiers over the past 12 months, but I always find my way back to Blue Moon.
Good starting place for the uninitiated. (227 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It smells and tastes like celery to me. Yes, I realize that sounds crazy, but I can't get over that when I drink it. I also personally dislike fruit added to my beer (the orange in this case). (194 characters)

I wasn't a fan, although I can see that others didn't mind as much. you do get some of those witbier flavors and aromas, decent feel, but falls into that category of beers I'm not going back to. (194 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

When it comes to a Witbier style, this is one of the best everyday beers. Consistent and available everywhere. My go to beer when my only other options are the standard domestics. (179 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

After trying tons of both domestic and imported craft beers, this is one of my favorite go to beers at family outtings, BBQ's, if the restaurant doesn't offer a big beer selection or if I don't feel like going out of my way to find craft beers. This is the beer I can depend on when i'm running low on beers at a gathering, the local gas station or super market will always carry Bluemoon. (389 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Color was very foggy orange-amber. Smelled much like the color, orange, and citrusy. Tasted smooth with orange, citrus, and wheat. Feel was light but bubbly. Overall not a bad beer. Better then expected. Enjoy with a orange slice on the rim. (241 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I like this beer in the summer. Throw in an orange with the Belgian White and you have yourself a wonderful treat. Nice white foam from the tap. Drinking out of the bottle is great too, just keep it nice and cold! Summer time is great with a Blue Moon! (252 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Love this beer. Very nice flavor. Perfect summer beer. I think of this as a vacation beer because it's always available wherever I happen to travel. This flavor is tied to pleasant nostalgia for me. (198 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Well...Well...Well... Again, a beer I've been looking forward to sampling... Started off amazing... Fruity followed by a nutty aftertaste but this became an acquired taste after a few sips... We'll made beer with some strengths but not one I'd chose of Hoegaarden Witbier... (274 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The number one beer of choice for my in-laws. Dark orange color, white head. Smell is spice, yeast. Coriander. Slight citrus, very subtle. Taste is clean, smooth. Spicy coriander, subtle orange peel, yeasty. Lower side of carbonation. Almost creamy. I like blue moon a lot especially after a couple cheaper beers like PBR. Forget who makes it if hat turns you away. This is a great beer. If it was a little cheaper in my area instead of almost $12 for a sixer, and well over $30 for a case, it would be an every day beer for me. Very enjoyable. (544 characters)

3.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a BarrelHouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours slightly hazy golden straw with a fizzy off white head that disappears quickly.

S: Fruity, light citrus, a hint of spice, and malt sweetness.

T: Fruity, apple, light citrus, coriander spice, a little corn, and malt sweetness.

M: Light body, moderate carbonation. Pretty drinkable.

O: Not bad. With a slice of orange it would make a pretty refreshing summer brew. (431 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I used to drink this a lot before I got into craft. I had it on a whim for ole times sake. Truly not bad for a macro. It is refreshing and I would not turn it down on a hot summer day. However, it's attempt at orange fruitiness, although somewhat tasty, nevertheless has too much of an orange soda flavor to it. Like I said, I would not turn it down, but with all the other great brews I have yet to try, I will not seek this one out. (434 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +8.7%

A light beer with some citrus flavors in it. Was served to me with an orange slice, which complimented it nicely. Not the greatest beer I've had, but it was an enjoyable experience. (183 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm wondering why is the score of this beer so low.
It's a really good witbier, of an opaque ocher/orange color and a nice creamy foam.
Has strong papaya tones in the head, with some bananas and spices. When the foam turns into a lace, the smell gets more into the orange, oat and coriandes tones - all ingredients of this beer.
Taste is buttery and has a lot of oats in the end.
Nice body and carbonation, bitterness should be higher in my opinion. (449 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great wheat style beer. Mouthfeel is on the thicker side. Has typical cloudy golden look for the style. Good balance between hops malt and wheat. Hard to drink only one (168 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: [4.00] Hazy straw colored brew. Forms a small head of dense white bubbles. The head is gone quickly leaving a thin white layer on top. The bottle has a best by date of (May 11, 2015). The bottle also lists the ABV (5.4%).

S: [2.75] I am only getting a hint of a sweet corn smell. I may have to wait for it to warm - but on a fresh pour there is very little aroma.

T: [3.25] Some apple juice flavors and then sweet corn. It has a mild taste.

M: [3.50] Low carbonation and the feel is less watery than I expected.

O: [3.25] Full disclosure - I thought I had this a long time ago and didn't like it - so I have always avoided it. That being said, I was wrong. This is a decent beer. Nothing spectacular - but I don't actively dislike it. The flavors are muted and come across as a sweet corn taste. I thought there was Belgian yeast or wheat flavor but I am getting none of that. I owe Blue Moon and apology. Sorry. (There I said it). (953 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was my first "craft" (non-lite pilsner) beer and I've had over a hundred of these but have just now gotten around to reviewing it.

A - Super cloudy golden. Full white head that doesn't subside quickly. Strong lacing until the last drink. Just like a Belgian white should look like

S - Initially sweet grainy character with some fruity, tart esters from the Belgian Wit yeast. No alcohol or hops but smells good and unoffensive.

T - Flavor is similar to the smell but the lightly-tart orange fruit character blends nicely with the sweet bready, grainy character of the wheat. There is some of the typical Belgian spice character but it is very muted compared to some of the Belgian beers I've tasted in the past.

M - Light mouth-feel. Moderate carbonation. This is really a great summer beer. Light, with some flavor, and just a touch of sweetness.

Overall, this is a great summer brew when it's too hot for a heavier beer. I have enjoyed this beer time and time again with friends and fun as I'm sure all have at one point. If your friends are still craft beer virgins then this is a baby crawl into the field that lies to greatness. If it wasn't for Blue Moon I'm not sure I would have tried so many amazing beers at this point in my career.

Glass- Stein with an orange slice (1,288 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +19.5%

Love it on tap, bottled just OK. Feel as long as they serve it with an orange slice I can call it healthy. I think one of the better citrus flavored beers. (155 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company