Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,541 | Hads: 6,238
2.96/5  rDev -13.7%

Blue Moon is a decent beer. Very citrusy and has a pretty smooth finish. At 5.4% ABV you can get a pretty decent buzz on. However, this is not a craft beer and I am upset that they try to market it as such. It's made by Coors, so don't be fooled people. (253 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a hazy light gold with a thin white head which dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S: Orange peel, citrus, biscuit, and a slight herbal spiciness.

T: Orange, citrus, apple, coriander, and cracker.

M: Very light bodied, moderate carbonation, very easy drinking.

O: Drinkable. That's about it. (337 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +30.6%

Once upon a time I was convinced that I hate beer. Surely this sentiment originates from high school, when I snuck downstairs to search the parents' liquor cabinet; or I stole a Hoegaarden from the most recent barbecue. I hated every single "adult" drink I tried, and when I turned 21, I assumed my tastes had not changed. And beer, I thought, is the worst of them all---the nastiest, the throat-closingest, the gut-wringingest. At least I can choke the rum down.

Then I actually TRIED some, five years later. Thinking I was a real tough lot at first, I went for some of the hardest stuff the liquor store had in stock: a douplebock, and an imperial red. The red was okay, but I had to chug the bock, convincing myself the buzz at least might be worth it. In short, my first LEGAL experience with beer was not a pleasant one.

It's one week later. I'm browsing for a bottle of whiskey, or perhaps brandy. ("I'll try everything once," I adventurously promised myself.) I see a six-pack of Blue Moon on one of the shelves. Images inundate my head; namely of a certain Mexican restaurant chain, which I believed at the time to be related to the beer. This, I assured myself, would be the last one I tried; if I hate it, then I suppose I'm just not a beer guy. But lo and behold...

Imagine if someone kidnapped oranges and wheat off the street, locked them up in his basement, and forced them to have sex at gunpoint for his own sick amusement. The resulting rape-spawn was named Blue Moon. The color: orange. The smell: wheat. The taste: wheat and orange. The first time I tried it the initial taste seemed to be like an ordinary, nasty, bitter beer. (Of course I've tasted much bitterer by now, and thoroughly enjoyed it.) But then the aftertaste kicks in; the bready, yeasty, biscuity aftertaste. Lord of lords. This, right here, is the beer that convinced me I like beer.

"Do you still love me, baby?" she coos nervously into my ear, worried that her Coors upbringing is seeping its way into my heart; that I think she's some kind of cheap whore because of her past, and I'll abandon her like every other guy. Yet every time I give the same reply. (2,150 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Sessionable inoffensive beer to enjoy when mostly macro is all that is available. Ok for the style. Served with an orange wedge and can't say that was unwelcome. (163 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - cloudy a bit darker than white. Aroma- some banana, some other vague fruit. Taste - Also non specific fruits , a pleasantly sweet finish. Mouthfeel is good. There are better witbiers for no more $, but this is a not unpleasant choice. (247 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellow, straw color with a finger of head. Sad looking lacing betrays large bubble structure, which brings down the 4 I was going to give the look. Smell is sharp citrus, orange and a little lemony. Not much else comes through. I really don't like the smell. Much better than the smell. Starts off with the sharp citrus but lends itself to a nice grainy tone. Both flavors fade together. Not very complex, but not bad. Feels chewier than expected, a little too sticky for the style, maybe. Pretty much an OK beer. I'd rather drink a straight Budweiser, though, I think. (593 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +16.9%

Entirely drinkable, and I normally don't like fruit-flavoured beers. Great "gateway beer" for lager drinkers!

Smooth and only slightly fruity. Wish it wasn't so clearly marketed towards women, but so it goes. (209 characters)

Look: Golden Haze.
Smell: Grainy, Earthy.
Taste: More like an orange peel on intake, nice orange taste as aftertaste.
Feel: A little gritty but not bad.
Overall: I rated this a 3 across the board. Nothing I hate, nothing I love. Aftertaste is a little better than the taste while it's in your mouth. I tasted orange when drinking, but didn't smell citrus that much in the smell??? (384 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

There are a lot of better witbiers out there. That being said you do a lot worse taste wise than blue moon. Good choice when the beer selection is very limited. (160 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Tried and true. A lot of these reviews are far too negative or positive. It's a good tasting beer that is light and easy to drink. Nothing more, nothing less. (158 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +23.6%

This is my go to domestic, bothers me that it's not considered as such in most bars. Good flavor, little after taste. Have to understand that it's a sour beer. Don't let the snobs talk you out of trying it. (206 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Brownish straw in color. The flavor profile is surprisingly decent and the body was reasonably hearty for the style.

Still, not something I'd recommend. (154 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +44.9%

Look: Very Orange-y color
Smell: orange
Taste: orange, deliciously crisp citrus flavors, light
Aftertaste: orange stays with you for a bit
Overall: I absolutely love this beer, no matter what season it just reminds me of late summer/early fall. absolutely my favorite- tastes better from the tap (295 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A family friend had me try one and left a six pack at the house. Ill be honest, I'm not really into heavy beers. I like a beer that will go down like water. To me, blue moon has a weird viscosity and tastes like stale cerceal. I wouldn't buy it but i'd definitely drink it if someone handed me one. (298 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beer snobs will always hate that which is mass produced. Yet Blue Moon never disapoints. I've tried numerous Witbiers over the past 12 months, but I always find my way back to Blue Moon.
Good starting place for the uninitiated. (227 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -14.6%

Drank from the bottle, so I can't comment on the look.
Smelled of your average beer, similar to a lager, maybe a little skunky.
Tasted like an average beer, maybe slightly better, didn't taste much if any citrus flavor or spice flavor, reminded me of an average cheap beer, maybe more tolerable. Went down smooth enough. Wouldn't mind drinking this again sometime.

Average beer taste, only a little better than the cheaper brands. (431 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It smells and tastes like celery to me. Yes, I realize that sounds crazy, but I can't get over that when I drink it. I also personally dislike fruit added to my beer (the orange in this case). (194 characters)

I wasn't a fan, although I can see that others didn't mind as much. you do get some of those witbier flavors and aromas, decent feel, but falls into that category of beers I'm not going back to. (194 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

When it comes to a Witbier style, this is one of the best everyday beers. Consistent and available everywhere. My go to beer when my only other options are the standard domestics. (179 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

After trying tons of both domestic and imported craft beers, this is one of my favorite go to beers at family outtings, BBQ's, if the restaurant doesn't offer a big beer selection or if I don't feel like going out of my way to find craft beers. This is the beer I can depend on when i'm running low on beers at a gathering, the local gas station or super market will always carry Bluemoon. (389 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Color was very foggy orange-amber. Smelled much like the color, orange, and citrusy. Tasted smooth with orange, citrus, and wheat. Feel was light but bubbly. Overall not a bad beer. Better then expected. Enjoy with a orange slice on the rim. (241 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I like this beer in the summer. Throw in an orange with the Belgian White and you have yourself a wonderful treat. Nice white foam from the tap. Drinking out of the bottle is great too, just keep it nice and cold! Summer time is great with a Blue Moon! (252 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Love this beer. Very nice flavor. Perfect summer beer. I think of this as a vacation beer because it's always available wherever I happen to travel. This flavor is tied to pleasant nostalgia for me. (198 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Well...Well...Well... Again, a beer I've been looking forward to sampling... Started off amazing... Fruity followed by a nutty aftertaste but this became an acquired taste after a few sips... We'll made beer with some strengths but not one I'd chose of Hoegaarden Witbier... (274 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The number one beer of choice for my in-laws. Dark orange color, white head. Smell is spice, yeast. Coriander. Slight citrus, very subtle. Taste is clean, smooth. Spicy coriander, subtle orange peel, yeasty. Lower side of carbonation. Almost creamy. I like blue moon a lot especially after a couple cheaper beers like PBR. Forget who makes it if hat turns you away. This is a great beer. If it was a little cheaper in my area instead of almost $12 for a sixer, and well over $30 for a case, it would be an every day beer for me. Very enjoyable. (544 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company