Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,550 | Hads: 6,291
3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is one of the first "craft" beers I ever had. I'm mostly reviewing it because it's a classic.
Appearance: Poured from Brewmaster's can into a frozen pint glass, this brew has an orange glow with some white foam at the top which leaves behind some delicate lacing when sipped.
Smell: Smells a pleasant bready wheat with notes of orange and spice. Not much more than that.
Taste: Medium-light bodied and well carbonated. Tastes exactly how it smells except my sense of taste is much better than my sense of smell so I could taste the spices much better than I could smell them.
Overall: Personally, I don't prefer this style of beer though I have to say, Coors was able to stay true to the Belgian White/Witbier profile with this one. Usually of all the choices you can find of cheap single cans at your local gas station, this is the most solid brew to go with especially considering the price. I rated it 4.0 overall because this beer is an excellent introduction into the craft world and an enjoyable brew for most.

4.03/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is my go-to readily accessible American beer. At just a slightly higher price than Budweiser, Miller, Coors, and others; the taste makes it well worth it.

3.77/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Too creamy for my liking, but I suppose it is good for what it is. I would choose other Witbiers over this beer, but I would definitely choose this beer over the other macros often found at Applebee's and the like.

4.68/5  rDev +37.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Im not a beer drinker, generally never can finish even one beer but was easily able to finish this. Had it with an orange slice and the citrus blended perfectly. Highly recommended to those non or new beer drinkers

Flat with an unpalatable, nauseatingly sweet taste profile. Unlike most beer this one gets worse the more you drink it. Generally, not a fan of the coriander/orange taste profile in my beer.

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

355ml bottle. 11 May 15. Cloudy, deep gold colour with a creamy white head which reduced to a ring and left no lacing. Aroma of citrus, coriander, honey, wheat and yeast (tick, tick, tick). Light to medium sweetness, light bitterness and a little bit of spiciness. Light to medium body, creamy texture, some zestiness and lingering gentle bitterness in a semi-dry finish. A decent tip of the hat to Belgian Witbiers and very drinkable.

3.19/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Look hazy yellow/orange, solid 2 finger head. Smell is old oranges and grains. Again with the old oranges on taste, almost making a American lager flavor. The feel is not thirst quenching like I would want from this style. Good introductory beer but not something I would willingly seek out

4.13/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Liked this beer. To me a medium bodied beer with wheaty or baked bread aroma and taste. Smooth for the most part; ends with a just the right amount of sharpness. Drank from bottle so don't have opinion on color. Only faint hint of hops which is perfect to me. I would recommend. Cheers!!!

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Very light and sweet, buttery but not heavy. I used to think this had a fruitiness to it, but it's nowhere near the taste you'd get in a craft beer. Go in with low expectations and you will be happy--it's a wheaty Budweiser.

2.96/5  rDev -12.9%

Blue Moon is a decent beer. Very citrusy and has a pretty smooth finish. At 5.4% ABV you can get a pretty decent buzz on. However, this is not a craft beer and I am upset that they try to market it as such. It's made by Coors, so don't be fooled people.

2.39/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12oz. bottle.

A: Pours a hazy light gold with a thin white head which dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S: Orange peel, citrus, biscuit, and a slight herbal spiciness.

T: Orange, citrus, apple, coriander, and cracker.

M: Very light bodied, moderate carbonation, very easy drinking.

O: Drinkable. That's about it.

4.48/5  rDev +31.8%

Once upon a time I was convinced that I hate beer. Surely this sentiment originates from high school, when I snuck downstairs to search the parents' liquor cabinet; or I stole a Hoegaarden from the most recent barbecue. I hated every single "adult" drink I tried, and when I turned 21, I assumed my tastes had not changed. And beer, I thought, is the worst of them all---the nastiest, the throat-closingest, the gut-wringingest. At least I can choke the rum down.

Then I actually TRIED some, five years later. Thinking I was a real tough lot at first, I went for some of the hardest stuff the liquor store had in stock: a douplebock, and an imperial red. The red was okay, but I had to chug the bock, convincing myself the buzz at least might be worth it. In short, my first LEGAL experience with beer was not a pleasant one.

It's one week later. I'm browsing for a bottle of whiskey, or perhaps brandy. ("I'll try everything once," I adventurously promised myself.) I see a six-pack of Blue Moon on one of the shelves. Images inundate my head; namely of a certain Mexican restaurant chain, which I believed at the time to be related to the beer. This, I assured myself, would be the last one I tried; if I hate it, then I suppose I'm just not a beer guy. But lo and behold...

Imagine if someone kidnapped oranges and wheat off the street, locked them up in his basement, and forced them to have sex at gunpoint for his own sick amusement. The resulting rape-spawn was named Blue Moon. The color: orange. The smell: wheat. The taste: wheat and orange. The first time I tried it the initial taste seemed to be like an ordinary, nasty, bitter beer. (Of course I've tasted much bitterer by now, and thoroughly enjoyed it.) But then the aftertaste kicks in; the bready, yeasty, biscuity aftertaste. Lord of lords. This, right here, is the beer that convinced me I like beer.

"Do you still love me, baby?" she coos nervously into my ear, worried that her Coors upbringing is seeping its way into my heart; that I think she's some kind of cheap whore because of her past, and I'll abandon her like every other guy. Yet every time I give the same reply.

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Sessionable inoffensive beer to enjoy when mostly macro is all that is available. Ok for the style. Served with an orange wedge and can't say that was unwelcome.

3.57/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - cloudy a bit darker than white. Aroma- some banana, some other vague fruit. Taste - Also non specific fruits , a pleasantly sweet finish. Mouthfeel is good. There are better witbiers for no more $, but this is a not unpleasant choice.

2.61/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy yellow, straw color with a finger of head. Sad looking lacing betrays large bubble structure, which brings down the 4 I was going to give the look. Smell is sharp citrus, orange and a little lemony. Not much else comes through. I really don't like the smell. Much better than the smell. Starts off with the sharp citrus but lends itself to a nice grainy tone. Both flavors fade together. Not very complex, but not bad. Feels chewier than expected, a little too sticky for the style, maybe. Pretty much an OK beer. I'd rather drink a straight Budweiser, though, I think.

4.01/5  rDev +17.9%

Entirely drinkable, and I normally don't like fruit-flavoured beers. Great "gateway beer" for lager drinkers!

Smooth and only slightly fruity. Wish it wasn't so clearly marketed towards women, but so it goes.

Look: Golden Haze.
Smell: Grainy, Earthy.
Taste: More like an orange peel on intake, nice orange taste as aftertaste.
Feel: A little gritty but not bad.
Overall: I rated this a 3 across the board. Nothing I hate, nothing I love. Aftertaste is a little better than the taste while it's in your mouth. I tasted orange when drinking, but didn't smell citrus that much in the smell???

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

There are a lot of better witbiers out there. That being said you do a lot worse taste wise than blue moon. Good choice when the beer selection is very limited.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Tried and true. A lot of these reviews are far too negative or positive. It's a good tasting beer that is light and easy to drink. Nothing more, nothing less.

4.24/5  rDev +24.7%

This is my go to domestic, bothers me that it's not considered as such in most bars. Good flavor, little after taste. Have to understand that it's a sour beer. Don't let the snobs talk you out of trying it.

2.92/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Brownish straw in color. The flavor profile is surprisingly decent and the body was reasonably hearty for the style.

Still, not something I'd recommend.

4.97/5  rDev +46.2%

Look: Very Orange-y color
Smell: orange
Taste: orange, deliciously crisp citrus flavors, light
Aftertaste: orange stays with you for a bit
Overall: I absolutely love this beer, no matter what season it just reminds me of late summer/early fall. absolutely my favorite- tastes better from the tap

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A family friend had me try one and left a six pack at the house. Ill be honest, I'm not really into heavy beers. I like a beer that will go down like water. To me, blue moon has a weird viscosity and tastes like stale cerceal. I wouldn't buy it but i'd definitely drink it if someone handed me one.

4.78/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beer snobs will always hate that which is mass produced. Yet Blue Moon never disapoints. I've tried numerous Witbiers over the past 12 months, but I always find my way back to Blue Moon.
Good starting place for the uninitiated.

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

Drank from the bottle, so I can't comment on the look.
Smelled of your average beer, similar to a lager, maybe a little skunky.
Tasted like an average beer, maybe slightly better, didn't taste much if any citrus flavor or spice flavor, reminded me of an average cheap beer, maybe more tolerable. Went down smooth enough. Wouldn't mind drinking this again sometime.

Average beer taste, only a little better than the cheaper brands.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company