Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
tito42

Missouri

Served on tap.

A: Straw with orange hues. Thin head dissapates quickly and leaves only a few wisps of off-white.

S: Orange peel, wheat, some sweet citrus, and a hint of coriander.

T: Sugary sweet up front, with orange, lemon, and wheat flavors throughout. The spiciness is faint in the taste as it is in the nose compared to other wits. Frosted corn flake finish.

M: Light-bodied with a touch of creaminess. Very clean and refreshing. A bit of carbonation on the finish. Has a macro mouthfeel to me.

O: Not offensive at all, which is an accomplishment for a macrobrewer. A very refreshing summer beer. A good baseline of what is required of a witbier.

08-03-2011 04:00:55 | More by tito42
Dodt

3.4/5  rDev 0%

found one or two of these bad boys were left behind from a family function decide to give it a try.
poured from the can in to the glass
appearance : a cloudy yellow with a nice head that stays for a bit
smell some citrus and wheat notes
taste a bit creamy and reminds me a bit like a mild hef.

08-02-2011 23:00:16 | More by Dodt
DaveHS

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

A-Pours hazy blonde with a small, fizzy white head that disappears almost instantly.

S-Wheat, orange skins, black pepper, coriander, oatmeal with brown sugar.

T/M-Light and soft, with a touch of pepper and creamy Belgian yeast.Soggy corn flakes. Not as dry or crisp as the style usually dictates. Unsophisticated and bland.

O-Boring. Not very good. But not as terrible as many make it out to be.

08-01-2011 04:21:47 | More by DaveHS
hdf561

2.73/5  rDev -19.7%

I will admit I am not much of a wheat beer drinker but it was what my friend had in his fridge and I never turn down a free, cold beer.

It smelled and looked ok. It was a little bitter, and definetly had an after taste.

It was not very smooth or did not have alot of drinkability. Not something I would tailgate with or purchase on my own but I would not turn it down if it was offered to me.

08-01-2011 00:22:43 | More by hdf561
JoLight

Georgia

2.55/5  rDev -25%

Ap- Hazy orange/yellow, very small head, and light to no lacing.

A- Smells of orange, coriander, some spiciness, and wheat.

T- Tastes of bland wheat, dried up, old oranges, some spiciness, and it leaves a bitter, bland, dry aftertaste.

O- I was really disappointed with this beer, because I like the others of its brand. But this beer was not at all what I thought it'd be like. It was fresh, and well refrigerated; and even with all that said, I still can't say anything positive about it from a personal opinion. It's good quality beer for the price, and it's worth a try. I know a lot of people who drink Blue Moon Belgian White and love it. But this is just not for me. I don't claim this to be a bad beer, but it's not something I'd buy again.

07-28-2011 19:55:35 | More by JoLight
beerdrinker4life

Connecticut

2.42/5  rDev -28.8%

Ok more beers in a can! This should be the ultimate quencher here at GOTV and its 100 degrees.

pours into my cup, looks good so far. Super hazy orange color with pure white head. Looks good.

Smell? For some reason I smell oranges and spices like an easter ham. Hmmm. No hops though.

Taste? Not good. I am not enjoying this. Its kind of sweet and syrupy actually. It is clove like and spicy but there is no tartness or sourness or bitterness for balance. It taste like a wine cooler.

The mouthfeel is syrupy. Not refreshing.

I am glad I tried this. But I won't go back.

07-24-2011 13:32:52 | More by beerdrinker4life
CS1971

Blue Moon was the beer that introduced me to "alternative beers" (I won't use the word craft since it is a Coors beer :-). I have to be honest, I LOVE this beer. I love the crispness of witbier, and the orange flavor is wonderful. For a while this was all I drank, but then had to mix some things up with red beers, lagers and other whites. I am not a huge fan of Coors american adjunct, but I think they hit the nail on the head with Blue Moon!

07-23-2011 00:57:42 | More by CS1971
CraftBeerTastic

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

Ba Review #19
Served On: 7/21/2011
Glassware: Clear plastic cup

Consumed this beer at Jimmy’s Grill at Dewey Beach, DE. The bar didn't have much of a selection, so I thought I would try this one. I've heard it's nothing more than a Rickard’s White (Canadian Only) with a Blue Moon label (by Molson/Coors).

Look: The pour was nice and smooth. A thin white head formed over a cloudy straw colored beer. It was basically a textbook wheat beer appearance. No sediment or carbonation was really present. The reviews I've seen of Rickard’s White have all had crazy head and lacing. Of course those were of the draft only version in Canada. The Blue Moon was not even close to that.

Smell: A typical wheat beer aroma with some faint Belgian qualities. Some citrus notes. That faint smell of wet straw or grass. Other than not, not much was happening.

Taste: This was a very drinkable beer, however most wheat beers are. Again some citrus and spice noticeable. The beer had a watery mouth feel despite its unfiltered appearance. I noticed a lot of women were ordering up this offering. I would bet if this were badged as Rickard’s White (like in Canada), not too many women would be asking for it. A trendy name like ‘Blue Moon’ must play well towards Molson/Coors’ US marketing strategy with women.

I don’t know that I would ever seek out this beer. This is another beer that is relative to the situation. If I had to choose between a Blue Moon or a Bud Light, it would obviously be the Blue Moon. I also found that women gravitate towards beverages garnished with fruit. If you ever order one up for your lady, make sure they put an orange slice in it.

07-22-2011 02:40:05 | More by CraftBeerTastic
Knapp85

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

This beer was probably one of the first 50 beers I had ever tried. I gave this one a try simply because I wanted to have something new. When I ordered my first glass of it the guy asked me if I wanted an orange wedge in it, I said sure because everyone else at the bar had one. I'm assuming he asked because I was a guy and perhaps "guys don't put fruit in their beer". Anyway though, I got the glass tossed the wedge in and gave it a look. It's a cloudy golden color with a foamy white head on top. The lacing is actually decent on this beer, I was surprised. The smell of the beer was sweet and now full of orange zest. The taste of the beer was refreshing and citrusy, makes a really nice summer beer for some people. The mouthfeel was smooth and lightly carbonated. Overall Blue Moon has never been a terrible beer in my opinion but since it's from Coors I do have a bit of an issue buying it. If it's free I'll drink it but I really don't feel the need to go out and purchase these with my own money unless it's all that's available.

07-20-2011 20:59:28 | More by Knapp85
CHickman

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours cloudy yellow gold in color with a creamy 1 finger foamy white head that faded slowly, leaving good lacing; a lot of sediment floating around in the glass.

Smells of yeast, wheat, lemon, coriander, hay, grass, sweet malt, light caramel, grains and coriander or light citrus hops (maybe both); nice fresh hefeweizen aroma with a hint of faint wet bread and a nice nose that's consistent for a Belgian style.

Tastes like it smells, with sweet malt, yeast, wheat, lemon, coriander, orange peel, light citrus hops or herbs, hay, grass, caramel, grains, light pepper and some very mild spices; flavor is sweet, zesty and earthy, with nice grains and wheat.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, with a medium body and grainy feel, very light to no carbonation and a slick feel as it slides over the tongue.

A decent American hefe that is refreshing and quite drinkable, especially on a hot summer day. A very nice effort by Coors, and a beer that has become mainstream and consistently good.

07-19-2011 02:45:46 | More by CHickman
BeerMane

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Alot of places started serving this so I thought I would give try it. It has a nice smooth taste, it has a good feel and very easy to drink. By far the best overall Witbier for the money. This beer is easy to drink on a nice summer day by the pool or relaxing at the beach.

07-17-2011 02:41:28 | More by BeerMane
spitInTheOcean

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

golden straw color. good head retention with a dense white head. cloudy, hazy appearance.

smell is sweet maybe a little like honey, and quite spicy, coriander being the most frontal aroma.

taste is sweet throughout, with a bit of zesty notes. perhaps a subtle spiciness is briefly discernible.

medium bodied. finishes soft, and not crisp but sweetly.

this beer is just to sweet. it also seems kind of two dimensional.
its just ok.

07-16-2011 05:44:34 | More by spitInTheOcean
SkitzIrish3

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- Murky orange, you can’t see through it. Fizzy head recedes to nothing fast, leaving

S- Bits of lemon and citrus; coriander spiciness.

T/F- Smooth, light, not much up front, wheat toward the middle and orange on my tongue and throat in with the finish.

Not a bad beer. The light feel is enjoyable, especially on hot days.

07-15-2011 22:43:49 | More by SkitzIrish3
GDBEERMAN

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Blue moon 12oz into pint glass.

A: Body pours a hazy straw yellow, with a light white head that dissipates quickly. The level of carbonation is standRd, and no lacing is left behind.

S: The aroma is a smooth grassy orange, with a hint of spice. The level of intensity is low and not very well refined. Sweet esters of lemon are found deep within.

T/M: Body is smooth in texture, with a subtle spice on the finish. The sweet malt backbone is quite nice and well balanced. The hops are not at the fore front, but do show some noble influence. The lingering finish is short, but not exceeding the expectations that I had.

O: I find this to be a somewhat decent brew, for a macro brewery, not one that I would pinpoint for a benchmark for the style, but a nice addition. A clean and smooth mouthfeel makes this a nice brew to finish off a mountain bike ride when stouts were enjoyed ;)

07-12-2011 21:47:55 | More by GDBEERMAN
BigDRS

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Color is a hazy light orange with very little head. No lacing to speak of on this one.

S - The nose is probably the most impressive thing about this beer. There's a bit of yeastiness that comes through along with some sweetness, citrus notes, and wheat. There is a complexity to the smell that is impressive, especially for a mass produced BMC product.

T & M - Very smooth and crisp. Wheat and citrus flavors are prominent. Coriander and orange peel flavors can be picked out quite easily. This is quite drinkable - ABV is low and carbonation levels are high making the beer go down really easy.

O - This beer can be enjoyable on a hot summer day or a quality choice when you're at Applebees/Chili's/Whatever and Blue Moon is the only beer offered besides basic BMC brews. Otherwise there are plenty of beers I'd rather crack open before this one.

07-12-2011 04:14:39 | More by BigDRS
iSip

Colorado

4.22/5  rDev +24.1%

I am a summertime dedicated wheat beer fan. Yes, I add lemon. I know purists will frown, but it adds a zest which can be tart with fresh lemons or sweet if the lemon has aged and mellowed. Anyway, this is a review of a Coors product, Blue Moon, which you can get anywhere. It’s not my all time favorite wheat, as Adolf Coors and company add quite a bit of spices to this brew, but it does make a nice change of pace within a wheat beer rotation. Blue Moon has a nice head, remember to swirl in the yeast! The brew is smooth drinking summer wheat with a good bit of body and more flavor than most wheat beers.

07-05-2011 21:19:51 | More by iSip
ferrari29

Beer poured from a bottle into a tall Hefeweizen style glass

A - Body has a light orange colored body; cloudy; nice one finger foam formed with a little amount of lacing; plenty of a visible carbonation; looked enticing

S - Lemon; sour yeast; spicy coriander and orange peel; slight caramel malt back end

T - Orange; coriander and other spices; lemon and malt biscuit backbone

M - Good, wholesome body; effervescent; slight astringent taste; crisp and dry

D - Overall, this was a good drink and can definitely hold its own against other craft brews; kudos to Coors for making this enjoyable beer, why can't that make more beer like this?

07-05-2011 03:13:40 | More by ferrari29
PierceMyers

Tennessee

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into a glass. The head was decent, but died sort of quickly and was fizzy. The color is a cloudy orange, and is semi-attractive. The fizzy head reflects the mouthfeel, which is light, crisp, and active, with orange aromas and notes. The beer gives off a great smell of orange, which was its most remarkable characteristic, but seems too light and empty in almost all regards for me to recommend it. Compared to other European Wheat Ales it feels void of real density and the flavors seem forced and artificial. The sweetness is tasty, but I don't see myself being able to drink more than a couple of them. However, in the category of fruity, citrusy, sweet beers, this is the one I would choose.

06-29-2011 23:45:38 | More by PierceMyers
IronCitySteve

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Pours an orangish amber color with a small white foam head that quickly dissipates. There is no lacing. A tad disappointed with the look.

S: There is some light wheat, bread, yeast and citrus. Nothing really overpowering, but still there.

T: This is a really well balanced witbier. Nice mild hints of wheat and yeast hit the palate first. In the middle there is some nice spice and citrus that really balances the beer. On the back end the citrus comes out more.

M: Quite refreshing and balanced. Leaves a clean taste on the palate. A nice light to medium body.

O: I have always enjoyed Blue Moon and still do. It is quite clean and refreshing. Very suitable for a BBQ and any warm day.

06-28-2011 23:52:28 | More by IronCitySteve
airforbes1

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into a weizen glass. Very hazy. The middle is an orange-brown color, while the top is a light beige color. A lot of sediment at the bottom. There isn't much of a scent; I detect some citrus aromas, as well as a bit of banana. The head begins thin and soon becomes even thinner.

I get a lot of orange in the taste, with a tiny amount of hop bitterness on the back end. It's pretty malty and sweet, but not cloyingly so.

For those who aren't opposed to buying a Coors product, this is a solid offering and a great beer to buy if you are looking for something that's refreshing and/or on the cheaper side.

06-23-2011 02:06:31 | More by airforbes1
d1blet

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Has a very light head that quickly dissipates. Cloudy murky amber orange.

Aroma: Faint floral notes with a soapy citrus punch.

Mouthfeel: Very light and crisp with lots of carbonation.

Taste: Light wheat. Lacks any sort of depth or character. There is perhaps a hint of orange/citrus somewhere in the background.

Overall: I don't understand why some people give rave reviews for this beer. It's not a horrible beer by any account, but for a "craft beer" it's not noteworthy in any respect. The only reason why I would order one again is if I had a craving for an orange slice to go with my beer.

06-21-2011 08:16:47 | More by d1blet
kemoarps

Washington

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Everyone knows the story of blue moon, I don't need to rehash it here.

It poured a turbid orane/amber, and what little head there may have been disappeared almost immediately, and has left no lacing as I've drank it.

It does not smell as strongly as I had remembered, and I'm a little disappointed in that. What does come through, though, is the orange citrus with a backbone of spices that I can never place just off the smell.

It's not a bad tasting beer, even if my memories are much fonder than the flavour sitting on my tongue right now. The corriander and orange are what really stand out. The impression it always leaves me with is that of good intentions watered down by mass-production and (closer to) mass-appeal. Unfulfilled potential is how I would describe it (and I don't use those terms often - a bit of a sore subject as I heard that label applied to myself consistently for about a decade. I'm getting too personal, but it's friday night at midnight, and I'm reviewing beer on the interwebs, deal with it).

Alot of carbonation, but still quite drinkable, Blue Moon is a decent in-between beer (more palatable than most macros, but not going to appease most craft-fans), but nothing special.

06-18-2011 05:12:41 | More by kemoarps
hmf05

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Hazy light orange with a one finger creamy head.

S: The aroma is mostly orange and lemon with a decent amount of coriander

T: Starts off sweet and zesty, but ends with a sweet corn, macro aftertaste. The orange, lemon, and spices are are well balanced, but the macro flavor really hurts this beer.

M: Medium body and a good amount of carbonation.

O: While there are much better wits out there, Blue Moon is a good American interpretation of the style. Aside from the macro-like flavor at the end, this is a solid beer.

06-15-2011 02:19:11 | More by hmf05
Onenote81

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I noticed on my reviews that the last 2 beers I reviewed had "Blue" in their name, so I decided to drag this theme out further. I went over to my local TW and grabbed some more beers with "Blue" in their name (that I hadn't already previously reviewed). Let's start with this one...surprised I hadn't reviewed this one yet.

12oz bottle, best by Oct. 3, 2011 printed on the side. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy pale gold with a thick 2-finger white head. No retention; no lace left behind. The nose is full of citrus tones of lemon and orange. Some mild stale graininess to the nose. Faint sweet-smelling spices. Not bad. The mouth is firm. Good spritzy carbonation gives this one a fresh feel. The flavor is not all that bad on this one. Mild spices, lemon juice, bready aftertaste. Whispers of tartness on the finish.

I gotta admit, I really enjoy the "Blue Moon" movement for the most part (with the exception of their Pumpkin-version). Their brews are quaffable and the flavors are mild and easy going. I'd have this one again, and I will for sure revisit this one on draft.

06-14-2011 19:30:40 | More by Onenote81
hoppyweasel311

2.53/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a quick disappearing head. Smells of orange peel and coriander... tastes like carbonated water with a faint hint of citrus...and some chemicals.. boring. I'd rather have a Hoegaarden... Originally reviewed this beer out of a bottle and gave it a D+ rating... the can is a tiny bit better.

06-12-2011 22:20:16 | More by hoppyweasel311