Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Murrhey

Montana

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

10-16-11 poured 12 oz bottle into Pilsner glass.

A beer I've had many times, I was excited to try it again for the sake of reviewing, even though I wasn't as fond of it as many of my beer drinking buddies.

A: It poured a swirling cloudy-orange, nearly opaque. Half a finger head, little disappointed with that, it may have been the glassware I poured it into however.

S: Spicy smell with distinct acridity and citrus tones. I see why people pair this with orange slices. Very pleasant, if strong, aroma.

T: Tastes much like it smells, citrus and brewing spices come to fruition on my tongue.

M: The feel matches, much more than other white beers I've had, the taste and smell nearly perfectly. The best quality of this beer.

10-17-2011 23:12:52 | More by Murrhey
gtermi

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I bought this beer at a local taco shop. I wouldnt have bought this if it wasnt 1.25 on draft. Anyways the appearance is a little above average with its golden color and thick head.

The smell has a lot of wheat and malt scents.

The taste is better than the average BMC beer, with actual flavors. It has a decent amout of biscuit and malt taste.

The mouthfeel is just like your average beer. Has a decent amout of carbonation and crispness.

Overall this is an average beer. There is nothing that sticks out to me that I truly enjoyed of the beer. It wasnt bad, but not great either.

10-11-2011 07:48:34 | More by gtermi
BigPlay1824

Enjoyed in a pint glass

A: pours a slightly hazy medium golden color with a half finger of fine head that is off white and dissipates rapidly, leaves zero lacing
S: nice wheat and bready like scent with slight hints of the famous orange peel
T: decent wheat taste and a bit of brightness from the orange, overall highly drinkable and gentle
M: medium carbonation tingle, leaves a slight lacy feeling on the palate, very thin
O: a drinkable middle of the road brew, i frequently get it when im at a restaurant with a bad craft selection, decent enough

10-06-2011 23:15:24 | More by BigPlay1824
Fulky

2.68/5  rDev -21.2%

Served on tap in 10 oz scooner with an orange slice.

Appearance is good for the style, has a fairly commendable head with nice retention.

Smells promising. Has a spicy, complex leafy scent with a hint of chocolate and citrus.

If you add an excessive amount of citrus (especially orange or lemon), this is very do-able. it's not my favorite by any means, but then again I'm not much into the Belgians anyhow. I had to drink it a few times to really understand the flavor, but the more I tried it (and the more citrus I squeezed and dropped) the better it was. Still not fantastic, but not awful as originally thought.

The mouthfeel is average, not nearly as overbearing as the flavor. It has what appears to be excessive carbonation, but I think this is accented by the salty flavor.

As I said... i thought I wouldn't give it another chance, but I did and it was worth it. For me, it was all about having the right amount of citrus... as well as patience... It's something that grows on you.

10-03-2011 03:00:35 | More by Fulky
Heatwave33

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a shaped Dogfish Head pint glass.

Color: Hazy orange with a white head.

Smell: Barley, orange and coriander.

Taste: Has a decent orange taste with barley and slight coriander.

Mouthfeel: Slight coarse on the palate with an all around dryness.

Overall: When at a bar or restaurant and there is no good craft beers this is a good option. It's not overwhelming by any means. A little water downed it seems nut not bad at all. Cheers!

10-03-2011 02:04:04 | More by Heatwave33
scratch69

Missouri

4.97/5  rDev +46.2%

Appearance- Pale golden color with a nice white head that disappears quickly. Very little lacing.

Smell- Wheat with floral notes and a hint of citrus.

Taste- Wheat malt with a touch of orange and a small hint of spice. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and crisp. Average amount of carbonation.

Overall- Great beer. This became my go-to beer this summer. The orange flavor compliments the beer perfectly.

10-01-2011 04:41:25 | More by scratch69
Paincane

Georgia

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

A: Goldish orange in color with small white head when poured into pint glass. Small amount of lacing.
S: Wheat and citrus notes are strong.
T: Wheat, sweet malt, orange and lemon all emerge. Slight spice presence is detected.
M: Light bodied with medium carbonation. Little bit of sweet syrupy finish.
O: Surprisingly decent beer that I first enjoyed in Louisville in 2005. A good safe fallback when nothing more interesting is offered. Enjoyable and I will have again.

09-30-2011 20:56:15 | More by Paincane
vfgccp

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Rated without an orange in the glass

A – Deep orange apricot. Pours a foamy, pure white head with great retention and nice lace.

S – Sweet orange marmalade, lemon zest, and a nice bready wheat. Touch of gingerbread cookie.

T – Biscuity malt throught. The center is loaded with orange and a honey-like sweetness. The sweetness is a little too much, but it manages to pull up just shy of syrupy. Light orange pith bitter on the backend.

M – Super smooth, almost silky. Shade under carbonated.

O – Could use a bit more brightness up front (although I guess that’s why they drop a citrus slice in the glass… still would have liked to have seen it in the beer and not in the adjunct), and balanced a shade too sweet. Overall though, I have to say that it was better than I expected when I sat down to rate the glass.

09-29-2011 02:38:39 | More by vfgccp
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Blue Moon Belgian White has a very thick, fluffy, off-white head and a hazy orange appearance. The aroma is slight, but one does pick up some white bread and a touch of spice. Taste is of bread and a bit of orange, which actually comes out stronger as one drinks more of the beer. There is some spiciness in the taste, but not a whole lot of it. Mouthfeel is soft, and Blue Moon Belgian White finishes mostly wet and easy drinking. Overall, this is a fairly good wheat beer, and I suppose it’s worth trying.

RJT

09-25-2011 23:19:38 | More by RonaldTheriot
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.53/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is now available in the UK, the big supermarket chain called TESCO has it on it's shelves. I thought I'd buy one because I've had it on tap in the US and wanted to see if it was better in a bottle.

Poured into a 'Good People' glass: the 355ml bottle produced the same murky moody looking dishwater colouring, the head although wispy and thin it was better than the tap version I had.

Almost odourless in the smelling stakes, some weak wheat/corny hints but nothing much at all really.

The flavours were also fairly weak as well, a fizzy watery mess to be honest, no true Belgian feel to it at all.

Not impressed one iota. Can't believe my scores given for the on-tap version were so kind.

09-24-2011 20:53:55 | More by BlackHaddock
depechemode1983

3.23/5  rDev -5%

A - Medium gold in color with a lot of cloudiness. The head is white with little retention. No lacing.

S - Getting wheat with some lemon zest, light Belgium spices with a bit of candy sweetness.

T - Getting lot of lemon and wheat malts upfront. Some faint honey notes in the middle along with some spiciness, and medium hops bitterness in the finish.

M - Medium bodied, smooth with good carbonation and a crisp finish.

O - Not too bad considering the company its coming from. A good fall back beer when nothing else better is available.

09-22-2011 19:26:59 | More by depechemode1983
charlzm

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%

Consumed September 18, 2011 at Barney's Beanery, Pasadena, CA.

Beer is a cloudy yellow with a head that sprung up two fingers high with a medium pour from the pitcher.

Aroma is marked by a vague yeasty, wheaty smell and sweet oranges. Oranges?

Flavor is bland, bordering on insipid. There is a thin orange flavor, a touch of underbaked bread yeast and a slight metallic twang from the wheat and nothing else at all.

Mouthfeel is unremarkable.

This is a dumbed-down version of a witbier (really? A witbier?) that makes me think of the flavor of a filtered American pale wheat ale with orange syrup added. Awful.

09-18-2011 23:12:33 | More by charlzm
musicman575

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

A lot of hype about this beer in the non-craft beer drinking community. Every time I mention that I like microbrews and craft beer to one of these people, they almost always respond with "What's that one stuff I had with an orange that one time? Oh yea, I love Blue Moon, that's my favorite microbrew."

Anyway, the stuff looks good from the start. Nice and cloudy pale yellow with a decent frothy head that hangs around. The smell wasn't bad, but I do not like the smell of imitation apricot extract. Imitation or not, that's how it smells. On top of that, there was a mild spiciness. There is a lot of cracker in the taste, definitely not a smooth, balanced crackery taste either. I can see why people drink it with orange, like with so many American wheat beers, it's to get that taste out of the mouth! Hops didn't make an appearance.

09-13-2011 17:02:24 | More by musicman575
elNopalero

2.42/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured on draft in a shaker pint. (Hey, it was that or a Bud Light.)
Poured a golden, orange color. Hazy, no foam. Pours syrupy, thick. Aroma is off-putting, a hint of metal? Taste is off -putting as well and there’s a dull finish. The carbonation is present but it’s fizzy, overly-carbonated like an orange soda. I’m thinking Orange Crush without the carbonation and the sweetness dialed down a bit. The beer gave me a headache by the time I finished it. Really, it’s a mockery of the style, and with better options available there’s absolutely no reason why anyone should drink it. The sacrifices I have made!

09-12-2011 23:34:14 | More by elNopalero
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pint at some bar at Miami-Dade International

A hazy pale orange with enough clarity to see lots of bubbles but no head or lace

S the orange slice I just put on the table may be playing a part because I get loads of orange slice, clove and coriander

T mimics the smell quite well with even more orange if that were possible

M light and fluffy with plenty of bubbles but any more carbonation and I'd be burping up orange peel for the rest of the day

O decent beer on a hot day but nearly overkilled with orange peel and spice

a fair bit of additives I'm thinking but it kinda works for it, I drank a few of these in Miami and Vegas but at home in a cold climate I doubt I'd bother all that often

09-11-2011 00:02:47 | More by wordemupg
kojevergas

2.55/5  rDev -25%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a two finger head of slight cream, decent thickness, and alright retention. Colour is a cloudy dark orange. Not real appealing, truth be told.

Sm: Aroma is light in strength. Dirty orange esters dominate. No cream is present.

T: Dirty orange and stale-ish barley are all that come through. Simply badly built (especially for the style) and rather imbalanced. I wish there was more to it.

Mf: Smooth and wet. It helps to get the beer down easily, which I suppose caters to their demographic. Doesn't really complement the flavour.

Dr: Drinkable enough. It's better on draught, but not by much. It's sad that a beer requires an orange to taste better. The price is crap on draught for the quality, but a bit better from the bottle. Only recommended for extremist fanatics of the style.

09-04-2011 05:25:17 | More by kojevergas
BucannonXC5

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pilsner glass. Color was hazy golden. About ¾ inches of head on initial pour. Nice lacing on the top, minimal film on sides.

Wheaty smell, maybe a bit of grass. Faint sniff of lemon.

Good combination of flavors, beginning with wheat, followed by a lemon/orange/orange peel mix, ending with some spices. I want to say a cinnamon stick, but it may be something else.

Light-to-medium body. Average-to-lively carbonation. The taste got a bit old after awhile, leaving a thick, syrup aftertaste. Also seemed to get flat fairly quick.

I’ve had this plenty of times, but this was my first time rating it. I had nothing bad to say about it for the first half, but the last half was quite disappointing. Much better than the Summer Honey Wheat, though.

09-02-2011 06:20:04 | More by BucannonXC5
tdm168

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a pale orangeish yellow with 1/4" of head that fades quickly. Smells yeasty with just a hint of citrus and spice. Taste is light wheat, yeast, mild spice, and a hint of orange. Light, smooth, and well carbonated; easy drinking.

Overall, it's a weak translation of a Belgian classic. For a Coors brand its really good, but for a witbier it leaves a lot to be desired.

08-27-2011 21:02:55 | More by tdm168
Billcr222

Missouri

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

I've had this beer many times and I've finally given up on it. It often needs fruit to enhance it and I never liked that, anyways here's the score. A: average orangish light brown S: has a good citrus smell strong but not overpowering M: light beer mouthfeel nothing too much mainly watered down T: the taste is very fruity, especially if you take it with the fruit on the rim. A little over the top with the fruity flowery taste. O: a lot of ado about nothing, watery poorly flavored brew. Much prefer their their Honeymoon brew.

08-26-2011 02:08:12 | More by Billcr222
kylehay2004

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

A: murky and orange. Quarter finger head.

S: wheat and citrus. Spicey notes

T: wheat. Lemon, orange peel. Nice spice combination.

M: light body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: I know its a macro brew beer but it is very good. Incredibly drinkable crisp and refreshing.

08-26-2011 01:57:55 | More by kylehay2004
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.53/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy orange colour that has tinges of yellow throughout & forms a bubbly white head that fades after 30sec.

Balanced mix of wheat & orange along with some good citrus notes that compliment the aroma well. There is also some milder coriander notes and a little spiciness too. Could have been stronger though.

Orange, wheat & citrus matches nose & there is also some coriander & a general spiciness. Orange flavour is slightly too strong though.

Medium body & a slight spicy tang to the drink. It is creamy, smooth & easy to drink without really blowing me away.

A pretty solid, good beer & one that I'll go back too at some point in the future no doubt.

Featured in the 1001 Beers Blog:

08-24-2011 00:55:01 | More by flyingpig
Chiefy770

2.35/5  rDev -30.9%

A: Foggy gold, almost a weird shade of orange if you hold the glass up to the light.

S: The smell was OK. It was not offensive and had a bit of a sweet smell to it.

T: I did not really care for the taste of this beer. There are spices (mainly coriander) and orange zest which give it a unique flavor. I would consider this beer to be a seasonal blend rather than a year-round beer. By seasonal I mean it is best to drink this in colder weather.

M: It feels okay in the mouth but it certainly sticks with you as it leaves an aftertaste that can be quite unpleasant depending on what you eat or drink after the beer.

Overall I found this beer to be over-hyped. There are many people out there that swear by this brand and that is respectable. It is not awful but it is not for me. Like I said this is fine if it is a seasonal brew... the taste and feel is a bit too heavy for warm weather.

08-21-2011 18:16:22 | More by Chiefy770
K9AleingPiss

Oklahoma

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Honestly wasnt sure what I was gonna get when I ordered this beer. Heard the name so I thought to try it. The appearance was shocking,looked like dirty soapy water,but thats good for this kind of beer?. I smelled orange,because thats what was served with it,and continued to influence the beer when I flicked it off the glass. The taste was fruity sweetness,but flat too,even though it seemed to have a descent bubbly top. I felt like I was drinking a cocktail more than a beer. Overall not a bad experience and was worth trying so I know to avoid again in future.

08-21-2011 14:19:35 | More by K9AleingPiss
rcfunk

4.45/5  rDev +30.9%

I have on good authority that Pierre Celis would agree with me when I say Blue Moon is a better example of a Belgian Wit than Hoegaarden.

I can't say anything bad about this beer. It is really up front about what it is: a spiced wheat beer with Belgian yeast.

Blue Moon is strong flavored yet thirst quenching. Right On!

08-19-2011 16:30:55 | More by rcfunk
2xHops

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

This is one of the first beers I tasted years ago, if not the very first one, and I saved this for the last review of the three beers from their sampler pack.

This beer has a good appearance. It is cloudy with ample of frothy head while looking like there were some orange colored food coloring dropped in it.

The taste is refreshing when it's ice cold (which may be a bad sign) but while it warms up, the blandness comes through. I can taste the citrus notes along with the copious amount of wheat coming though.

The mouthfeel for this beer is bordering between thick and syrupy. I'm a bit undecided if that's good or not.

Overall, I think it's not something I would drink on a regular basis on a hot summer day. I think there's other witbier beers that has better balance. Having said that, I think this is decidedly better better than Pale Moon and Honey Wheat beers.

08-15-2011 11:25:02 | More by 2xHops