Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Bfarr

Washington

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

Cloudy orange with medium white head with very poor retention and no lacing. Wheat and very light citrus aroma and a little boozy. Strong wheat sweetness with light orange and some saltiness from the coriander and a touch of yeast. Dry, sharp carbonation.

You would think this would be a great beer with all the flavors put into it but really it's overwhelmingly average. For one thing, once the head disappears (in about 3 seconds) it looks like an dirty honey/orange drink of some kind. It's not really a bad beer, it just pales in comparison. Especially if had before or after a good beer. It's easy to drink and you could drink several before you know it, but you won't enjoy it very much because it's just blah.

11-25-2010 17:03:12 | More by Bfarr
tubacharlie

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The hazy, pale honey-yellow beer is capped by a large white head with decent retention, but little lacing. After a few sips, only a very thin ring remains.

Fruity, citrus aroma with a hint of peppery spice is detected.

A background of mineral water flavors the brew, with a somewhat weak grain bill and mild hops rounding it out. Muted peppery notes and citrus peel accents can be found amidst the fizzy, slightly over carbonated mouthful.

For a macro product, it is not too bad a copy of a good Belgian white, like Blanche de Bruxelles, but does not quite measure up to their standard.

11-25-2010 05:48:10 | More by tubacharlie
thedoubler55

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

A-Cloudy orange with a nice off white head.

S-Wheat with a strong orange smell.

T-The taste of this beer is all oranges with a bit of wheat, same as the smell. This beer leaves an aftertaste like you just drank orange juice!

M-Heavy carbonated beer, leaves a pleasant feeling after it goes down.

D-A beer that I will have occasionally. Very Refreshing

11-24-2010 18:20:54 | More by thedoubler55
Hopfenpeter

Maryland

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Also I did note the proper glass ware available, I did have a crystal
mug. The beer is a nice cloudy golden blonde color, just like a Hefeweizen. The smell promises refreshing fruit like tangerine, orange with coreander. The taste is confirming that promise with a pleasant prickliness which is extremely refreshing and thirst quenching. A great beer for the summer. The first one goes down easy, the second just like it. After the third one I call it quits.

11-19-2010 04:37:13 | More by Hopfenpeter
cheesepuffs

Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

For as much hype as this beer gets, I have to say, I was bit let down to be honest. It was good but wasn't like "wow". I tried it with and without orange slices and liked it much more with them. It definitely does bring out the citrus flavor. Without it I found it was a bit bland. I was almost bored with it. This is also my first witbier so I wasn't sure what to expect but I guess I'm not a huge fan of the style. Fairly low carbonation and the same goes for flavor in my opinion.

11-16-2010 08:02:41 | More by cheesepuffs
scarfield

Nebraska

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

I did not have this beer with the orange that it is often served with.

Pours a dull gold or yellow into the glass, leaving an active head half an inch high. Despite such a promising head there is no lacing left on my glass.

Very Yeasty with Coriander present as well. Also a bit of sourness and alcohol coming through in the scent.

The flavors imparted from the yeast and coriander come through first, a bit of sour fruit and apple-tartness. Orange peel finishes the immediate flavor and the aftertaste is dominated by a wheat flavor as well as that orange peel.

Nothing exciting or offputting from the mouthfeel, and is drinkable to a certain extent, however, the orange can be a bit overwhelming if one were to venture into multiples of this beer.

11-15-2010 22:44:25 | More by scarfield
airheadmtrcycle

Georgia

2.55/5  rDev -25%

The appearance was cloudy and yellow with a small head and little lacing. The smell was promising with orange and coriander, but the the taste was so watery it spoiled everything for me. The taste was not awful or anything, but like someone mixed half beer and half water to save money. The spices were decent and near the end I kind of got used to the wateriness. Of course the mouthfeel was watery, but still a drinkable beer.

I had this beer once before and don't recall it being anywhere near this watery. Perhaps I'll try it again sometime.

11-15-2010 02:03:08 | More by airheadmtrcycle
Nerudamann

Oregon

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Look - Light golden in color, very cloudy. Two fingers worth of foam that dissipates quickly. Good carbonation.

Smell - Hoppy-smelling, spiced with orange peel and coriander.

Taste - Mildly hoppy at the start, but then the wheat's crispness kicks in and the orange peel and coriander helps to balance out any bitterness that might have been in the aftertaste. Texture is not as creamy as it could be with the cloudiness, but still creamy. Orange peel taste becomes stronger as it warms.

Drinkability - Very drinkable. Not terribly complex, but crisp and subtle enough to make it interesting.

11-13-2010 05:08:43 | More by Nerudamann
taigor

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into regular pint glass.

A - Poured cloudy yellow color with medium head that quickly dissipated leaving slight lacing around the glass.

S - Citrus and yeast scents dominate with hints of coriander.

T - Wheat flavor upfront with orange sweetness and slight bitterness towards the finish.

M - Light bodied with high carbonation.

D - Easy going, crisp and refreshing witbier. Would recommend it.

11-10-2010 19:24:21 | More by taigor
ztaylor1

Alabama

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

Reviewed from notes.

Appearance- a cloudy, watery yellow. Little head that died down almost instantly.

Smell- strong citrus and coriander. No yeasty smell.

Taste- fairly watery and just kind of a letdown in general.

Mouthfeel- again very watery... as expected. Waaay too much carbonation.

Drinkability- a very dull beer. I think the overwhelming orange attempts to mask the inferiority of everything else.

11-10-2010 19:03:29 | More by ztaylor1
PDX2LA

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

I had this beer at a sports bar. I had never had a Blue Moon before. So I thought I'd give it a try. The beer came with an orange slice. I had never seen that before. Usually wheat beers in North America come with a slice of lemon (which is an abomination... in my opinion). But the orange really set it apart. As far as the smell, the slice of orange really threw me off. So, I removed the orange and took a sniff of the beer. Had a lot of citrus. I took a sip. I got a lot of strong citrus flavor up front and not a lot of wheat on the back end. When I added the orange, I soon realized that was a big mistake. The orange simply masked the flavor of the beer and made it way too sweet for my palate. Next time I have this beer, it will definitely be without the orange. All in all, I'd say this is a decent choice when you're at a sports bar eating a basket of chicken strips while enjoying the big game.

11-10-2010 18:50:12 | More by PDX2LA
sommersb

Tennessee

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle into a shaker pint glass. Appearance is a cloudy, pale orange color with a small off-white head.

Smell is of citrus - lemony wheat. The taste is crisp and smooth with a light sweetness and hints of coriander, with no hop presence. Goes down well with a light body.

This is a refreshing beer and one I end up getting a lot in restaurants when its the closest thing they have to a craft beer. Not one I would seek out and purchase otherwise.

11-10-2010 05:19:21 | More by sommersb
Thorpe429

2.85/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Served in a pilsner glass. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a very murky apricot-orange color. White head and a bit of lacing. Too murky as it is completely opaque and full of haze. Nose is light orange citrus with a tad bit of spicing and a bit of light wheat. Taste is wheat, orange, and sugar; definitely quite a bit cloying, which carries over into the feel. Drinks well enough, but this is a surprisingly heavy witbier.

11-09-2010 11:52:19 | More by Thorpe429
Vashtar

4.55/5  rDev +33.8%

Blue Moon requires an orange to meet its full potential, but that's part of the fun. It makes it a treat, rather than just a beer. This is a great one to give to somebody who doesn't like beer. I'm surprised to find out Coors makes it. Coors is disgusting.

11-01-2010 06:48:02 | More by Vashtar
FosterJM

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

29th review on BA
Bottle to pint.

I was at a family party last night and they happened to have Sam Adams and Blue moon as the go to beer. So not being a fan of either one decided to skip the bottle drinking and be that guy to review at a party and ask for a glass.

App- Very murky yeasty yellow with hints of orange and a 1 finger pretty thick head.

Smell- Yeasty with a small bit of spice

Taste- Bitter and a bit stale

Mouth- A bit flat and a tad bitter. Not sure if it was a bad bottle. Low carbontation and nothing overwhelming.

Drink- It was pretty hard to put this one down. I'm not a fan of Blue moon. Its not bad but just not my favorite.

10-31-2010 16:21:21 | More by FosterJM
SAxDRC5

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance- fizzy head, doesn't last long. leaves a decent lacing on my glass. translucent gold.

Smell- Coriander, oranges. hint of banana perhaps.

Taste- quite citrusy. coriander and clove. getting a very slight banana flavor. finishes with a hint of hops bitterness. if you let it get slightly warm (50 degrees F) the banana is more pronounced.

Mouthfeel- very light. barely carbonated

Drinkability- pretty good. reasonable ABV, the hops, citrus and spice flavors are all pretty tame.

In my opinion, while this isn't a great beer, it is decent and easy to find. One of the best macros you can buy.

10-27-2010 01:26:23 | More by SAxDRC5
gatorguy

3.23/5  rDev -5%

Pours out a cloudy orange tinted white color with a finger and a half head that fizzes away rather quickly and leaves little lacing. Smell has hints of orange but is mostly unassuming. Taste wise it is a crisp brew, not very strong on orange but coriander is evident. Finish has some decent wheat flavor but is watery. Drinkability is good, feel as though I could easily have a few more. Overall a good offering from a macro-brewery, but you'll find better witbiers out there.

10-27-2010 00:03:06 | More by gatorguy
Vdubb86

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

When you go to a cookie cutter restaurant the tap list isn't anything special, that's when you get yourself one of these.

Served in a pint glass with an orange wedge at Applebee's (seriously)

The appearance of this beer is a very cloudy pale orange color with a nice finger of white foam. The aroma is skewed a bit due to the presence of the orange in my glass, so clearly I smell that. In addition there is the distinct aroma of sour hops, coriander, and light caramel. The flavor however is rather astringent for my liking the faint sourness doesn't help matters, now I know why the orange is given with it, because it helps cut through the astringency. I also believe that I taste some cilantro/garden salad-like flavor that is really off-putting. It feels fairly syrupy in the mouth, but there is still an appropriate amount of carbonation. It isn't too hard of a beer to drink, not a bad option if your choices are limited to BMC.

10-23-2010 06:14:09 | More by Vdubb86
shredsofautumn

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

22 oz. bomber purchased 10/20/2010 in Easthampton, MA. Sampled 10/21/2010.

Appearance- Poured slowly into an aggressive finish. Fizzy 1 finger head, dissipating quickly. No lace retention on the head. The color of this brew is a deep yellow- goldenrod-esque. Can't see through it- that's a good thing!

Smell- Lots of coriander. Some vague spices. The nose on this brew isn't very strong.

Taste- There's the coriander. A hint of other strange spices, possibly a tad of clove & nutmeg adorn the outer edges. Slight lingering of hops. Overall, a good taste for a beer made under contract by a major macro-brewer. Just a little thin.

Mouthfeel- Pretty light. Perfect for a spring/summer barbecue. Good to wash some meat down the gullet.

Drinkability- Reasonably average alcohol level. Reasonably light in body and texture. Easy to swallow. I do like these, and it's about the only halfway decent beer on tap @ Chilis (besides Stella), so I know I'll be swallowing many more gallons of this stuff in my lifetime, though it will never be my first, or tenth, pick.

10-22-2010 00:39:07 | More by shredsofautumn
lovetranquillity

Rhode Island

2.05/5  rDev -39.7%

Pours hazy yellow and a 1 inch head or so if poured vigorously.

Smells of orange peal, coriander, little bit of hops, yeast and fruit loops cereal.

Orange peal, yeast, spices, seems unbalanced and a slight bitterness.

Not too much carbonation, little bit light.

Easy to drink due to low alcohol but not easy to drink because of bad taste. I could drink this if had already drank a bunch of other stuff and was offered to me at a party, maybe.

I started drinking this when I was 18, I thought it was cool and I got the perception that is was a good beer. Unknowing to me it was a coors product. Since then I have had many better beers in general and of the same style. Blue Moon lacks very much and is barely a Belgian White.

10-18-2010 16:46:14 | More by lovetranquillity
jsprain1

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%

A- Pours a nize hazy orange color, but the head is gone almost immeditately.
S- Mostly wheat, with some orange/lemon in there. Not much to the coriander or other common spice aromas here.
T- Yeast and wheat with some fruit flavors in there as well. Again not much on the spice front. A bit sweet and lacking depth for my taste, but not bad.
M- Crisp and dry, particularly for how sweet I found it.
D- Not an overall bad beer. Pretty good for a BMC product I'd say. there are better wits out there, but this is pretty easily found and cheap.

10-15-2010 21:22:04 | More by jsprain1
EmericaMoon

i gave this beer 5's all across the board because it definitly deserves it. blue moons apperance, smell, and taste is the perfect match for me. its got that perfect dark color, with that strong taste which hints at orange at the end. also i think the best way to drink this beer is from bottle or tap, when drinking from can all the spices at the bottom dont get mixed very well.

10-13-2010 20:02:20 | More by EmericaMoon
Ranchito

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

This is the beer I drink at the ball park. It pours with a rich, foamy head that fades away leaving just a trace of foam around the glass. I find that the malt overpowers the hops with a slight spicy nose. The mouth feel is good, full bodied and fruity, with rich flavors, just slightly spicy. It is always served with a wedge of orange, which is ok, but unnecessary. I don't need fruit in my beer, and this beer can stand on its own. It is not like Corona where you need some help to make it palatable.

10-13-2010 00:43:51 | More by Ranchito
shand

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Bavarian Pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours golden with a ridiculously massive head. I poured this a little too aggressively and the head wound up escaping from my pint glass. Instead of measuring this head in fingers, I just chalked it up to "a fist's worth". Crazy.

Smell: Not very appealing. I can smell the orange, and I can smell the beer. But they are just not working well together here at all. The metallic scent I pick up in the back doesn't really help matters here.

Taste: Thankfully, this tastes better than it smells. The malts hit first, and they're of a slightly higher quality than most macros, but I can still taste a bit of the Coors Light adjunct kind of feel here. Thankfully, the orange comes in yet and helps it out. It's obviously quite synthetic, but is also a bit refreshing. It dominates the rest of the taste.

Mouthfeel: Very very carbonated. It feels a little too carbonated, it just slides right down the throat. It's kind of suited for the orangey style so I'll let it slide.

Drinkability; It's drinkable, but the synthetic orange kind of stops this from being sessionable. One glass isn't bad.

This beer is a pretty decent choice in beer wastelands. So many restaurants have this, and for many it's the best choice they have. It's enjoyable enough, and I find bottles sneaking into my mixed sixer pretty often. I couldn't see myself ever picking up a six-pack though, the synthetic orange is a bit too much. If Coors used better quality malts and orange, this could really be something special. But as it is, it's just a pretty good beer. There's no real wheat here though, not something to pick up if you're looking for a witbier.

10-08-2010 04:26:51 | More by shand
TheKingofWichita

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

Generally if I go somewhere and they don't have a craft selection this is what I go to for something to drink.
Pours a somewhat hazed golden straw color with a nice white head and some decent lacing.
Smells of wheat style ale with hints of orange and coriander.
Medium to thin mouthfeel with some carbonation but normal for wheat beer.
Very drinkable, most can enjoy from the beer snob to the mass market sucker.

10-05-2010 19:27:10 | More by TheKingofWichita