Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Color is a hazy light orange with very little head. No lacing to speak of on this one.

S - The nose is probably the most impressive thing about this beer. There's a bit of yeastiness that comes through along with some sweetness, citrus notes, and wheat. There is a complexity to the smell that is impressive, especially for a mass produced BMC product.

T & M - Very smooth and crisp. Wheat and citrus flavors are prominent. Coriander and orange peel flavors can be picked out quite easily. This is quite drinkable - ABV is low and carbonation levels are high making the beer go down really easy.

O - This beer can be enjoyable on a hot summer day or a quality choice when you're at Applebees/Chili's/Whatever and Blue Moon is the only beer offered besides basic BMC brews. Otherwise there are plenty of beers I'd rather crack open before this one.

BigDRS, Jul 12, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +24.1%

I am a summertime dedicated wheat beer fan. Yes, I add lemon. I know purists will frown, but it adds a zest which can be tart with fresh lemons or sweet if the lemon has aged and mellowed. Anyway, this is a review of a Coors product, Blue Moon, which you can get anywhere. It’s not my all time favorite wheat, as Adolf Coors and company add quite a bit of spices to this brew, but it does make a nice change of pace within a wheat beer rotation. Blue Moon has a nice head, remember to swirl in the yeast! The brew is smooth drinking summer wheat with a good bit of body and more flavor than most wheat beers.

iSip, Jul 05, 2011

Beer poured from a bottle into a tall Hefeweizen style glass

A - Body has a light orange colored body; cloudy; nice one finger foam formed with a little amount of lacing; plenty of a visible carbonation; looked enticing

S - Lemon; sour yeast; spicy coriander and orange peel; slight caramel malt back end

T - Orange; coriander and other spices; lemon and malt biscuit backbone

M - Good, wholesome body; effervescent; slight astringent taste; crisp and dry

D - Overall, this was a good drink and can definitely hold its own against other craft brews; kudos to Coors for making this enjoyable beer, why can't that make more beer like this?

ferrari29, Jul 05, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured into a glass. The head was decent, but died sort of quickly and was fizzy. The color is a cloudy orange, and is semi-attractive. The fizzy head reflects the mouthfeel, which is light, crisp, and active, with orange aromas and notes. The beer gives off a great smell of orange, which was its most remarkable characteristic, but seems too light and empty in almost all regards for me to recommend it. Compared to other European Wheat Ales it feels void of real density and the flavors seem forced and artificial. The sweetness is tasty, but I don't see myself being able to drink more than a couple of them. However, in the category of fruity, citrusy, sweet beers, this is the one I would choose.

PierceMyers, Jun 29, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Pours an orangish amber color with a small white foam head that quickly dissipates. There is no lacing. A tad disappointed with the look.

S: There is some light wheat, bread, yeast and citrus. Nothing really overpowering, but still there.

T: This is a really well balanced witbier. Nice mild hints of wheat and yeast hit the palate first. In the middle there is some nice spice and citrus that really balances the beer. On the back end the citrus comes out more.

M: Quite refreshing and balanced. Leaves a clean taste on the palate. A nice light to medium body.

O: I have always enjoyed Blue Moon and still do. It is quite clean and refreshing. Very suitable for a BBQ and any warm day.

IronCitySteve, Jun 28, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into a weizen glass. Very hazy. The middle is an orange-brown color, while the top is a light beige color. A lot of sediment at the bottom. There isn't much of a scent; I detect some citrus aromas, as well as a bit of banana. The head begins thin and soon becomes even thinner.

I get a lot of orange in the taste, with a tiny amount of hop bitterness on the back end. It's pretty malty and sweet, but not cloyingly so.

For those who aren't opposed to buying a Coors product, this is a solid offering and a great beer to buy if you are looking for something that's refreshing and/or on the cheaper side.

airforbes1, Jun 23, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Has a very light head that quickly dissipates. Cloudy murky amber orange.

Aroma: Faint floral notes with a soapy citrus punch.

Mouthfeel: Very light and crisp with lots of carbonation.

Taste: Light wheat. Lacks any sort of depth or character. There is perhaps a hint of orange/citrus somewhere in the background.

Overall: I don't understand why some people give rave reviews for this beer. It's not a horrible beer by any account, but for a "craft beer" it's not noteworthy in any respect. The only reason why I would order one again is if I had a craving for an orange slice to go with my beer.

d1blet, Jun 21, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Everyone knows the story of blue moon, I don't need to rehash it here.

It poured a turbid orane/amber, and what little head there may have been disappeared almost immediately, and has left no lacing as I've drank it.

It does not smell as strongly as I had remembered, and I'm a little disappointed in that. What does come through, though, is the orange citrus with a backbone of spices that I can never place just off the smell.

It's not a bad tasting beer, even if my memories are much fonder than the flavour sitting on my tongue right now. The corriander and orange are what really stand out. The impression it always leaves me with is that of good intentions watered down by mass-production and (closer to) mass-appeal. Unfulfilled potential is how I would describe it (and I don't use those terms often - a bit of a sore subject as I heard that label applied to myself consistently for about a decade. I'm getting too personal, but it's friday night at midnight, and I'm reviewing beer on the interwebs, deal with it).

Alot of carbonation, but still quite drinkable, Blue Moon is a decent in-between beer (more palatable than most macros, but not going to appease most craft-fans), but nothing special.

kemoarps, Jun 18, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Hazy light orange with a one finger creamy head.

S: The aroma is mostly orange and lemon with a decent amount of coriander

T: Starts off sweet and zesty, but ends with a sweet corn, macro aftertaste. The orange, lemon, and spices are are well balanced, but the macro flavor really hurts this beer.

M: Medium body and a good amount of carbonation.

O: While there are much better wits out there, Blue Moon is a good American interpretation of the style. Aside from the macro-like flavor at the end, this is a solid beer.

hmf05, Jun 15, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I noticed on my reviews that the last 2 beers I reviewed had "Blue" in their name, so I decided to drag this theme out further. I went over to my local TW and grabbed some more beers with "Blue" in their name (that I hadn't already previously reviewed). Let's start with this one...surprised I hadn't reviewed this one yet.

12oz bottle, best by Oct. 3, 2011 printed on the side. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy pale gold with a thick 2-finger white head. No retention; no lace left behind. The nose is full of citrus tones of lemon and orange. Some mild stale graininess to the nose. Faint sweet-smelling spices. Not bad. The mouth is firm. Good spritzy carbonation gives this one a fresh feel. The flavor is not all that bad on this one. Mild spices, lemon juice, bready aftertaste. Whispers of tartness on the finish.

I gotta admit, I really enjoy the "Blue Moon" movement for the most part (with the exception of their Pumpkin-version). Their brews are quaffable and the flavors are mild and easy going. I'd have this one again, and I will for sure revisit this one on draft.

Onenote81, Jun 14, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -25.6%

Poured a cloudy golden yellow with a quick disappearing head. Smells of orange peel and coriander... tastes like carbonated water with a faint hint of citrus...and some chemicals.. boring. I'd rather have a Hoegaarden... Originally reviewed this beer out of a bottle and gave it a D+ rating... the can is a tiny bit better.

hoppyweasel311, Jun 12, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -16.8%

I had high hopes for this beer since it was recommended by many people. It's a very mediocre whit in my opinion. I agree with others that this seems very much like a macro lager just in whit form. It's appearance is fine enough. It didn't have much smell to speak of, only slight hints of fruit and spice...slightly metallic (?). Taste was a big 'meh' for me...it just tasted stale to me. All the right flavors were there for this style, just completely watered down and subdued. This is a very poor example of this style and should be avoided in my opinion.

Northsider, Jun 10, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am not a huge fan of this beer, as I've had it before a couple of times. But a friend of mine (alas, not a beer guy) brought over a whole goddam twelve pack of Blue Moon products the other night and we have several left over. So, I decided I should review them, starting with this one.

A vigorous pour yields a nice cloudy golden-apricot color with a two-finger head. Actually a really nice looking beer, to be honest. The head thins a bit fast, and there's not much lace to speak of, but it's pretty enough. The nose is okay. Some typical witbier spice, coriander and such, some lemon scent as well, but nothing extraordinary. The taste is where this Coors witbier falls flat in my opinion. Very bland. No layers. No intricacy. No complexity at all. Thin and flat all around, including mouthfeel.

Upon first pour, I was excited, thinking I'd pegged this beer all wrong. But the taste instantly reminded me why I don't like it. Such a dull and uninspired version of the style. It's a shame to think so many Americans are turned on to witbiers by this thing. They have no idea what they're missing out on.

Atlas1, Jun 10, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -16.2%

Poured from a can to a shaker glass, orange gold body, clear with a billowing off white head. Retention and lacing were both poor though. Successive pours nets a half finger of white foam.

Much like a macro lager with Belgian white notes, dank and musty cereal grains and corn meal. Slight hints of lemon, orange peel and some yeastiness.

Ugh, follows the nose but add a little bit of a metallic finish, increase the wheat adjunct and twang and an odd peppery note. Malt is very thin mostly of cereal grain, musty with earthy yeast and oranges. Very thin and earthy had to see how this is refreshing or crisp even when cold.

Light and appropriate body and carbonation, very smooth a bit too wet and earthy on the finish.

Better than what most BMC beers can throw out but still a average at best example of style, all the parts are there but don't seem to mesh well into the whole and the beer seems dark and earthy through out.

rawfish, Jun 06, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Served in a pint glass, the beer is a hazy light orange, with a 1/2 finger white head that fades quickly leaving behind a thin layer of white foam on top. There is some nice lacing initially, but it fades quickly.

S: Pretty closed, some light fruit, mostly lemon, wheat, and a little bit of clove and other spices.

T: Very zesty, orange and lemon, with a decent amount of spices. Cloves and coriander are present as well as some wheat and a light malt bill.

M: Light to medium bodied with a good bit of carbonation. Crisp and pretty refreshing.

O: It was ok. Probably one of the best beers that Coors makes, but its not saying much. There will probably always be something available that I would prefer to drink.

mdaschaf, Jun 03, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance:
Hazy Orange, with a thick white foam head. Very good retention. Not going to lie it looks pretty good, but I'd be damned if I was going to put an orange peel on this thing.

Smell:
Orange peel, coriander, cloves, and a slight dish soap aroma.

Taste:
Belgian yeast plays very nice early but as I let this beer sit in my mouth and I take a couple more sips I slowly lose my interest in it. I start to lose the flavors and a stale almost faint cleaner taste begins to form.

Overall:
Started out good but it disappointed me at the end. I know a lot of people drink this regularly but I probably couldn't. I'll drink it if it's the only thing available but I'm not going out of my way for it.

TheHopMonster, May 31, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

12 oz can into a pint glass

A: Cloudy pale orange. Light white foamy head dissipates quickly.

S: Orange, coriander. Not revealing any secrets here.

T: Big full flavor. Bright orange and distinct coriander, The yeast here seems to be playing well with the wheat, lending full but bright fruitiness.

M: Well carbonated. Rich and oily.

D: Maybe not the best Belgian wit but always a nice alternative to it macro counterparts/relatives. This beer doesn't lend itself to a lot of nuance or poetic speech but it is a good drinking brew.

ForWhatAlesYou, May 30, 2011
3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Is this the best beer that comes in a can in America? Maybe.

Poured directly from the can into a pint glass. Minimal foam, what there is quickly settles into a uniform, opaque orange.

Tastes better than I thought, though it could still have more of a snap to it. Finishes clean.

Good stuff.

bondjedi, May 30, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a bottle to a tumbler.

A: Poured a golden/orange color, hazy with a white head which dissipated very quickly. No lacing and barely any carbonation.

S: Small citrus notes, Lemongrass, and some wheat earthiness, albeit very faint.

T: Just like the nose, but more distant. Not much to say about that.

M: Medium-bodied, biscuity mouthfeel.

Notes: Do yourself a favor, don't add a slice of orange....it doesn't improve the taste.

lazjuarez, May 30, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -5%

On tap at my watering hole, Old Chicago Westminster as part of the Craft Beer Week Mini Tour. Poured a cloudy straw color with a pretty decent white head. Aroma of citrus and wheat. Taste was not too bad at all: malt, citrus, biscuits and no bitterness at all in the end. A decent brew that I have no problem getting/drinking if it's part of a mini tour, a friend buys it, etc.

Schmittymack, May 23, 2011

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A pours a pale orangish color. With a little head that dissipates quickly.

S orange with some spicy notes.

T faint orange flavor almost artifical with some slight spicyness with a watery finish.

M very light as per the style.

Overall not a bad beer but not a good one. Maybe its the style but it seems to lack flavor.

beerandcycling88, May 23, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hey, sometimes trendy can be pretty good. And in any case, a damn sight better than Bud Lite. If you get stuck with a group in a chain eatery and this is the best option available, go for it!

A- Fairly dark orange in color. Cloudy. The head is fine textured, with a touch of lacing.

A- If you are an incurable beer sniffer, as I am, this isn't too bad, with decent citrus and spice.

T- Smooth and comparatively substantial sweet malt. Coriander & citrus peel take the mid palate. Dry-ish powdery yeast takes up the finish.

WhiteOak, May 22, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance: It looks like clam juice. About a cloudy 3 on the SRM Chart. Head was finger high. No lacing at all.

Smell: Citrus, Wheat. Not much here.

Taste: Spice, a bit of citrus, a little bready, no hopness at all. It's sweet. The mouthfeel isn't bad, but not great. Alot of carb.

Final Thoughts: I came into this with an open mind. This on just doesn't cut it. There's better beer for the price they charge (8.99 for a 6.)

Food Pairing: Anything that would go with cola I guess. Pizza, wings, a sandwich. Bar food I suppose.

bpw28, May 22, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

First off, I really like the label - the blue-cream logo against the brown bottle is eye-catching. Inverted the bottle and loosened the sediment to incorporate into the beer. Poured this into a 12 oz. beer glass.

When I first "screwed" the cap off, the smell from the bottle is citrus orange and coriander, with faint wheat.

Appearance - Poured a 2-finger just off-white head, flat, tiny bubbles that dissipated Very Quickly to an eggshell white cap just covering the surface of the beer, No lacing. Color is an opaque yellow-orange-apricot. When held to the light, creamy lite-orange & yellow hilites abound. A pretty good looking beer, especially for a macro-brew.

Smell - Citrus orange and coriander with faint wheat bread in the background, but these smells are somewhat muted, definitely not assertive. I like the smell, just enough to make the mouth water just a bit...

Taste - This is a pretty nice combination of citrus, orange, and coriander spiciness, with just a touch of breadiness...I'm picking up wheat bread, and some sour-dough too. No hop bitterness here at all, just a lingering slightly bitter citrus flavor with some sour, bready yeast flavors. I like this, not overly sweet at all, and pretty impressive for a macro-brew.

Mouthfeel - Slight creaminess and juicy. Tiny-bubble carbonation tingles the tongue nicely. Just enough citrus and spice to get the salivary glands going. Lingering flavors are semi-sweet orange peel, coriander and wheat. Really not a bad finish actually.

Overall - I must confess, I always have a few of these in my fridge. It is fairly inexpensive, available year-round, and very sessionable at 5.4%. When I go to Chili's, I always have 2-3 tall Blue Moons to wash down my meal. Not nearly as complex as many of the micro-brews that I prefer, but a good, solid, impressive macro-brew that is a few steps up from all of the "commercial beers" that you see on tv. A great go-to beer, and especially nice to throw back a few after house work or mowing the lawn. A good beer to have in the fridge, not so much for special occasions.

blackcompg, May 15, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

From tap into a pitcher then into a weizen glass.

Appearance - Big white head with great retention. Cloudy orange body.

Smell - Not much smell. Light slightly grassy with orange.

Taste - Little bland for a witbier.

Mouthfeel- Decent feel. Medium bodied.

Overall Drinkability - Pretty decent beer, pretty mediocre witbier.

ZenAgnostic, May 14, 2011