Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros

KidRagnarok, Nov 15, 2011

allstar255, Nov 14, 2011

AHaytko, Nov 14, 2011

beerme411, Nov 14, 2011
2.95/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

In a pint glass:

A: hazy pale orange at the bottom but darker orange closer to the top, small white head disappeared within seconds, very little lacing

S: orange, coriander, spices, weak yeast only after it warmed a bit

T: exactly the same as the smell without any yeast

M: light to medium, harshness assaulting the mouth and tongue all over, sessionable, bland citrusy aftertaste, dull finish

O: not exactly up to the standards of a normal witbier, but slightly acceptable to me

BeerKangaroo, Nov 11, 2011
3.73/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A good economic beer. Thus far is my favorite domestic beer (US) that I have tried. I found it similar to belgium beers I have tried such as chimay or duvel. Those of course were much higher quality, but this beer does have that belgium ale feel to it which is a great buy for an economic beer. I recommend this beer.

dunit697, Nov 09, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

Decent wit. I don't care for Hoegaarden, it doesn't seem wheat(y) enough for me for this style that is not my go to. I really like the breadiness and citrus notes of this beer, and it is a good fallback for when nothing else is available in a dive, for sure. The price is good too on a budget. Good thing for wits is that I am starting to see more of them, though it's certainly not my favorite style, not by a long shot.

Sendji, Nov 02, 2011
1.73/5  rDev -49.1%

I've had this on-tap and bottled many times. Pours a hazy yellow with a medium white head. Of course, you must have that orange wedge! No lacing to speak of. Smells of citrus (probably from the orange) and light spices. Some wheat. Tastes like it smells. It's watery...with the high carbonation it almost tastes like seltzer water with alcohol added.

Light bodied and overall, watery. Drinkable because it is so crisp. It has gotten worse lately...used to be better, though still not great. Drinkable, but I wouldn't imbibe in it simply because my taste buds and liver would like to spend their efforts elsewhere.

MsRif, Oct 30, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

I really enjoy this beer...

The abv is much more than you would expect for a beer that tastes this light...

It's not as complex as hoegaarden but they did a good job...I'll buy it...American made...and I do enjoy an orange slice with it...

It's like a fresher simpler who-garden....

Spicy...smooth...tending towards orange in color...

For an American knock-off...macro brewed...It's good! Plus it is a "gateway" beer for those who would have never ventured farther than Macros....

Dang good beer...light tasting...with a big punch of flavor somehow...this one makes women happy too!

CamuMahubah, Oct 27, 2011
3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured Blue Moon Belgian White from a bottle into a regular glass.

A: It looks exactly like a beer should. Pours an orange/yellow that allows some light through. The head is about two fingers thick, and subsides after a moment or two.

S: Citrus comes to mind. Orange, pineapple. Not very overpowering.

T: Light and sweet, with a peppery edge. A bit dull really, but it's not outside what I was expecting.

M: Very light on the tongue. Almost no carbonation, and has a slightly bitter aftertaste.

O: It's not bad. Decently flavorful and definitely very drinkable. Not something I would go out of my way to buy, but no major complaints.

McD0uche, Oct 23, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

10-16-11 poured 12 oz bottle into Pilsner glass.

A beer I've had many times, I was excited to try it again for the sake of reviewing, even though I wasn't as fond of it as many of my beer drinking buddies.

A: It poured a swirling cloudy-orange, nearly opaque. Half a finger head, little disappointed with that, it may have been the glassware I poured it into however.

S: Spicy smell with distinct acridity and citrus tones. I see why people pair this with orange slices. Very pleasant, if strong, aroma.

T: Tastes much like it smells, citrus and brewing spices come to fruition on my tongue.

M: The feel matches, much more than other white beers I've had, the taste and smell nearly perfectly. The best quality of this beer.

Murrhey, Oct 18, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I bought this beer at a local taco shop. I wouldnt have bought this if it wasnt 1.25 on draft. Anyways the appearance is a little above average with its golden color and thick head.

The smell has a lot of wheat and malt scents.

The taste is better than the average BMC beer, with actual flavors. It has a decent amout of biscuit and malt taste.

The mouthfeel is just like your average beer. Has a decent amout of carbonation and crispness.

Overall this is an average beer. There is nothing that sticks out to me that I truly enjoyed of the beer. It wasnt bad, but not great either.

gtermi, Oct 11, 2011

Enjoyed in a pint glass

A: pours a slightly hazy medium golden color with a half finger of fine head that is off white and dissipates rapidly, leaves zero lacing
S: nice wheat and bready like scent with slight hints of the famous orange peel
T: decent wheat taste and a bit of brightness from the orange, overall highly drinkable and gentle
M: medium carbonation tingle, leaves a slight lacy feeling on the palate, very thin
O: a drinkable middle of the road brew, i frequently get it when im at a restaurant with a bad craft selection, decent enough

BigPlay1824, Oct 07, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -21.2%

Served on tap in 10 oz scooner with an orange slice.

Appearance is good for the style, has a fairly commendable head with nice retention.

Smells promising. Has a spicy, complex leafy scent with a hint of chocolate and citrus.

If you add an excessive amount of citrus (especially orange or lemon), this is very do-able. it's not my favorite by any means, but then again I'm not much into the Belgians anyhow. I had to drink it a few times to really understand the flavor, but the more I tried it (and the more citrus I squeezed and dropped) the better it was. Still not fantastic, but not awful as originally thought.

The mouthfeel is average, not nearly as overbearing as the flavor. It has what appears to be excessive carbonation, but I think this is accented by the salty flavor.

As I said... i thought I wouldn't give it another chance, but I did and it was worth it. For me, it was all about having the right amount of citrus... as well as patience... It's something that grows on you.

Fulky, Oct 03, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a shaped Dogfish Head pint glass.

Color: Hazy orange with a white head.

Smell: Barley, orange and coriander.

Taste: Has a decent orange taste with barley and slight coriander.

Mouthfeel: Slight coarse on the palate with an all around dryness.

Overall: When at a bar or restaurant and there is no good craft beers this is a good option. It's not overwhelming by any means. A little water downed it seems nut not bad at all. Cheers!

Heatwave33, Oct 03, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +46.2%

Appearance- Pale golden color with a nice white head that disappears quickly. Very little lacing.

Smell- Wheat with floral notes and a hint of citrus.

Taste- Wheat malt with a touch of orange and a small hint of spice. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel- Light bodied and crisp. Average amount of carbonation.

Overall- Great beer. This became my go-to beer this summer. The orange flavor compliments the beer perfectly.

scratch69, Oct 01, 2011