Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
beermanbrian

2.8/5  rDev -17.6%

Brother and sister-in-law brought a case of this on a recent visit. I'm sure i had this once or twice way in my beer drinking past but I don't remember anything about it. I'll give one a shot just to do the review.

Cloudy pale yellow color that is spot on for the style. Head drops to a halo cap before you can even appreciate it.

Smells like water!!! I have to try hard to get a whiff of anything. Some faint clean wheat grainyness if I really strain. Touch of citrus, no yeast, not enough of anything to grab on to.

Taste dosn't give me much more than the smell. Clean and crisp is the best I can give it. Nothing off or offensive but nothing to remember either.

Mouth is on the thin side.

Overall this is average at best. The only reason I didn't give it lower scores is that there are no off flavors or smells so I assume this is what Coors was shooting for. I see why it might appeal to some but in my opinion, why bother.

10-16-2008 01:55:28 | More by beermanbrian
n00tz

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Drink by date - Nov 30 2008, a month and a half away. Served into my Sam Adams Boston Lager branded wheat beer style glass.

A - The first thing I noticed was some floaties... no warning about any form of bottle conditioning (nor would I expect it from Coors). There appears to have been some kind of settling in the bottle and I may have stirred it up, gross-looking nonetheless. Aside from that it produced a white-tan head, gold body, and zero carbonation.

S - Wheat, citrus and some sweet cinnamon.

T - Citrus right from the go, as expected. Bread on the middle and a tangy citrus finish and aftertaste.

M - medium bodied thickness, carbs up in my mouth and sticks on the palate a bit.

D - If it weren't for the visual presentation of this, I could have this as my regular wheat ale. Visual detracts from it greatly.

10-14-2008 01:53:21 | More by n00tz
atigerlife

Hawaii

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a cloudy yellow/orange with a small white head that dissipated rather quickly. Decent lacing.

Aroma of wheat, citrus and coriander.

Taste is rather sweet with citrus, spices, wheat and yeast.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and cleansing.

Overall, a decent beer that is quite drinkable. Not an exceptional Wit, but good choice if can't find the Belgian alternatives.

10-12-2008 19:36:59 | More by atigerlife
Goregazm

Rhode Island

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

WONT LEAVE YOU BLUE

Appearance: This beer pours an orange-yellow color, thick and impossible to see through. Has a very nice three finger head which is very foamy and lasts a long time. As it slowly dissipated, it left some very nice lacing in its wake.

Smell: Has a scent of citrus (espeically orange), malt, and some breadiness, almost like a sourdough undertone. Good sweet and sour mix in the aroma.

Taste: Sweet, with very little bitterness, definately can taste the citrus in there. Spices are slight, and it's just enough for this beer. Quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Malty and frothy. In the mouth it has a milky consistancy to it, and it's not unpleasant. Leaves a bittersweet taste on the palate, with orange and other citrus flavors still abundant.

Drinkability: This is a very refreshing ale that I will definately buy again. This is ideal for a hot summer day, perhaps while on a picnic or after working in the yard. I highly recommend this to anyone into this style of beer.

10-09-2008 23:45:13 | More by Goregazm
spazmonkeyy

Tennessee

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

poured into a chilled mug!

A--> a light, sunny color. it had a surprisingly large head! which boosted my confidence with mimicking a belgian style beer. not much lace.
S--> almost all a yeasty citris with coriander.
T--> MILKY, silky smooth!!! citris becomes better defined by orange/aprocot with still that coriander.
MF--> it is a very slippery and creamy beer. a very nice wheat
D--> I was pretty impressed with how slick this beer was and it is now one of my top 10 beer as a "chaser" beer after having a beer dark as oil! :-) Could be a little on the "weak" side...but wheat beers have that presence anyway and it serves well for its domain. :-) One thing for sure....this is the ONLY beer worth drinking from Coors!

10-09-2008 06:16:28 | More by spazmonkeyy
MisterClean

4.68/5  rDev +37.6%

Beer tasting at the Shack.

However, a story comes with this tasting. This August, I judged beer at an event (California Brewers Festival) where master beer judges gave this beer BEST IN SHOW. I couldn't believe it. A fricking Coors beer!?! Inconceivable. I was seething with anger. I had pictures of the final judges on my dart board.

So with an open mind, I tried this beer. Only before I tried it, the owner of The Shack informed me it was reformulated to actually resemble a real Belgian beer. Not only that, it came with the brewfest labelling (clean bottle with paper and rubber band) as I spotted a judge in attendance.

A - Hazy yellow, with heaps of foam, that took its darn time to subside.

S - Lots of coriander and clove. Some malt backing with hints of orange. Also quite a bit of orangy esters from the yeast. Could be they overpitched, but it made the beer smell better.

T - Wafts of coriander and orange immediately cling to the taste buds with hints of hop earthiness and a mellow clove finish.

M - I am not sure this is a Coors product. I had a Dunkelweizen from a Miller offshoot that was excellent, so this shouldn't come as too much of a shock. Very well balanced.

D - Give me a hammock and a six-pack. Beer judges: This one was worthy of the final table, am sorry for doubting you. Their reformulation: awesome. Seriously. Puts Allagash White and others in their place.

10-08-2008 05:14:32 | More by MisterClean
SDbeerguy

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

This is definetly one of my favorite beers. Served with an orange, it's a pretty cloudy but citrus-y in flavor as most people know or would assume. Very drinkable, very pleasantly unique taste. Far and away the best idea Coors has ever had. I would recommend it to anyone but if someone is used to a light beer, the 5.4% ABV may throw you off at first.

10-04-2008 00:31:49 | More by SDbeerguy
Natural510

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a cloudy, pale golden-orange color with thick head which leaves a slight, soapy layer of lace on the glass.
Smells of orange rind, corriander and yeast.
The notes to the nose are reflected in the flavor as well, with the yeast and citric acid leaving a puckering, dry mouthfeel. A bit thin and not as complex as it could be, but a nicely balanced beer nonetheless.
Goes down smoothly, and easy to see why this is so popular in the US.

09-29-2008 17:51:09 | More by Natural510
ocelot2500

Arizona

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a cloudy yellowish golden color.

Smells mostly of sweetness, had to search for a citrus smell.

First thing that hits the palate is a citrus sweetness followed by a bit of spice and a little malt to balance it out.

Mouthfeel is creamy with a good amount of carbonation.

Very drinkable, could finish off the six pack very easily.

Not that good of an example of the style, but it does show some of the characteristics of the style and is better than anything else brewed by Coors.

09-28-2008 23:03:51 | More by ocelot2500
champ103

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Pours a cloudy and orange/golden color. A small head gently rises to about two fingers. Very light lace is left behind.
S: Malty and lots of yeast. Some orange and lemon peal with a hint of coriander. A grainy, cereal, and metallic aroma.
T: Heavy on the orange and lemon zest. Some spice and coriander. A light cereal character as well.
M/D: A medium body, but way over carbonated for my tastes. This is an easy to drink wheat though. Something I have made a session of from time to time.

For a macro imitating a micro, this is not a bad beer at all. Something I fall back on often when the picking is not up to snuff.

09-26-2008 03:35:01 | More by champ103
lacqueredmouse

Australia

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours very dark for a wit - a light golden colour, tending to orange in the deeper bits. Cloudy with yeast though at least. Head is white, with very fine bubbles that coalesce and then dissipate, leaving only a collar of foam around the edges. Nice colour, but not very true to style.

Not a lot on the nose. Hint of light honey, a bit of yeast, but no rambunctious hit of citrus-coriander you get from the better wits. Just vaguely sweet, maybe just the minutest bit of candied orange creeps in, but I'm straining to pick it up. Not bad, but not great.

Taste is not too bad - nice initial sweet citrus character, which develops into a dry but sour wheat malt character. There's an unfortunate mineral water flavour on the mid palate, but it's only mild. Not bad, probably closer to a real wit than the smell and the appearance would have you believe. Mouthfeel is quite crisp, but with an underlying smoothness. Very pleasant.

Very drinkable beer, although one that left me a little unenthused. Quite pleasant for a hot day here in Northern California.

09-26-2008 00:10:29 | More by lacqueredmouse
prsguitarsr4me

2.42/5  rDev -28.8%

Why do people like this? It such an uninteresting beer. Sure, its got more flavor that a Coors Light, but come on. And served with an orange? It tastes terrible that way. Aroma is almost non-existent, except for hints of malt and fruit. Taste is similar. Feel is watery, but not terrible. I'm tired of people thinking this is good beer.

09-19-2008 02:53:45 | More by prsguitarsr4me
SouthLoopSuds

4.13/5  rDev +21.5%

I had a few of these the other night at the hotel bar in LAX. I've had the bottle before and wasn't terribly moved, but on tap it seemed to have a lot more character.

A nice orange color with a nice head, citrus odors, and hints of lemon the flavor was very nice. As I said, I had a few so it was certainly drinkable. Not bad for a Coors product!

09-19-2008 01:10:11 | More by SouthLoopSuds
Berticus

3.4/5  rDev 0%

The taste isnt the best aspect of this beer, the appearance is very nice and the coriander is a nice note in the overall flavor.
Not as hopsy as the sam adams white which i tend to compare to all too much.
definitely a beer to open up most people to the beer world being that its much sweeter than most beers.
A good buy.

09-18-2008 03:15:18 | More by Berticus
TerjUGA

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

served with orange peel.

pours a nice wheat color with nice size head and medium lacing.

smells sweet, fruity, hints of tart.

taste excellent, nice and sweet but not to sweet, a little tart to the taste which i like, hints of blueberries.

mouthfeel is nice, medium carbonated, light bodied.

drinks very easy, goes down nice, i really enjoyed this beer, great with the orange slice it really adds a lot from just drinking it out of a bottle, great beer.

09-17-2008 05:16:26 | More by TerjUGA
Dusty278

Missouri

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: Pale cloudy orange with a thin head.

Smell: sweet and citrus, actually quite pleasant.

Taste: Sweet and citrus, like an orange. Wheat taste resonates after a drink in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, heavy for a wheat, filling.

Drink: I won't buy it again, but it could be an alright summer beer at a bar with no choices. Worth trying.

09-17-2008 05:12:41 | More by Dusty278
nrpellegrini

Maryland

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Had a 22oz at Outback.
Huge orange peel on the lip of course. Poured a hazed pale orange color with a nice white head. Smelled of citrus and wheat. Tasted of pretty much the same thing. The orange flavor was big but definitely back by the solid smooth wheat flavor. Went down very easy.. could of easily had another. Try it!

09-15-2008 20:53:06 | More by nrpellegrini
superdedooperboy

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%

Had this beer on-tap at Logan's Roadhouse. Serving vessel was a 10 oz. frosted mug.

Appearance was a wonderful bright, cloudy yellow; head and lacing suffered highly due to the frosted mug -- I forgot to ask for a non-frosted one.

Citrusy aroma of orange peel and coriander; nice and bright.

Flavors present mimicked the aroma; body was very light and finish was light and very quick, without much of an aftertaste.

An incredibly easy-drinking beer, great as a thirst-quencher but could use a bit more body. Still, this is one of those beers from a mass-market company that you just can't knock, no matter how hard you try -- and that's a good thing, in my opinion.

09-15-2008 02:53:32 | More by superdedooperboy
techtatu

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

Nice unfiltered look, and thick white head. It gave off a citrus aroma and flavor. It was extremely lighter than I had anticipated. I expected to chew this beer when I saw how cloudy it was. Then again it was probably the way the bar keep was pouring the beer from the tap.

Something I would drink in the summer, and that's about it. Not too terribly excited about this beer.

09-15-2008 01:44:34 | More by techtatu
daaru

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%

looks very nice in the glass--lovely colour, and nice head. unfortunately, let down by the taste and non-existent finish. slight citrusy notes, and a hint of bitterness as it enters the mouth, but by the time you've finished swallowing it you might as well have had a sip of water. but this does make it a very good thirst quencher after a hot, humid day as we've had today in southern minnesota.

09-13-2008 18:43:43 | More by daaru
Bitzy

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

I grabbed a couple bottles of this beer at my local bodega when I was craving a cold brew. Having not had Blue Moon Belgian White in a while I sorta forgot what is tastes like. However, from the pouring of it into my Hard Rock cafe Los Angeles glass to the first few sips, I was very impressed.

Appearance: Foggy golden orange color with a nice 3/4 inch head that slowly dissipated after the first few sips. Not too much lacing though.

Smell: All the necessary ingredients for a Belgian witbier i.e. yeast, orange peal, coriander, wheat malt, and a bit of phenols.

Taste: Deliciously sweet. Mildly yeasty, orange peal and coriander were nicely pronounced. I also detected a slight tartness which I don't know if I liked.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkabilityl: light and smooth

Overall: Not the best North American interpretation of a belgain wit but definately one I could more than one of in a sitting.

09-10-2008 19:58:09 | More by Bitzy
oriolesfan4

Maryland

3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

My first attempt in not drinking a straight BMC lager and to ths day this beer still impresses me. One of the best Wit's I've had and even though its mass produced it still tastes great every time I have it. I love seeing my friends transitioning towards beers like this which have 10 X the taste of Bud or Bud Light.

09-09-2008 23:42:45 | More by oriolesfan4
Pencible

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%

This poured a hazy straw yellow with white head. It smelled like sour lemon and standard Belgian wild yeast, and some salt. It tasted like creamy lemon and orange hops, with wild Belgian yeast and wheat malt. It was watery with some carbonation, with a faint sour aftertaste. Overall this was not bad for a generic wheat ale. It had surprisingly decent flavor and body, and therefore drinkability. Perhaps it's generic composition is better suited for me, since I'm not a wheat ale fan.

09-08-2008 23:17:26 | More by Pencible
kshankar

District of Columbia

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

The first or second beer I ever had (along with Corona). Unlike Corona, I still like this one.

Appearance: Cloudy orange, with a faint head that doesn't stay long.

Aroma: Orange peel, coriander, wheat malts. Not too strong in these scents, its a medium aroma

Taste: Crisp, sweet with the orange peel and coriander taking up most of the flavor. Goes down well.

Mouthfeel: Bit carbonated but not bad.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Good for a hot summer afternoon, as many say, but I don't mind one of these in December because I like it quite a bit.

Overall a good, drinkable beer.

09-08-2008 03:51:46 | More by kshankar
OtherShoe2

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured a hazy orangy-gold, almost the look of pink grapefruit juice. Head and lacing for the first couple of sips -- now it's gone.

Smells of yeast, sweet wheat, some light spice, a little citrus.

Mild mild mild. The sweetness is there from the grain; the yeast is there, and some quickly fading citrus/lemon and coriander spice.

Fair carbonation keeps this from being a dud, and it finishes soft and clean, no sour aftertaste -- a good coating of mild sweet grain on the tongue.

This'll pair well with food; a great summer party sipper. Not a bad offering from Coors.

09-06-2008 23:45:30 | More by OtherShoe2