Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle into a shaker pint glass. Appearance is a cloudy, pale orange color with a small off-white head.

Smell is of citrus - lemony wheat. The taste is crisp and smooth with a light sweetness and hints of coriander, with no hop presence. Goes down well with a light body.

This is a refreshing beer and one I end up getting a lot in restaurants when its the closest thing they have to a craft beer. Not one I would seek out and purchase otherwise.

sommersb, Nov 10, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Served in a pilsner glass. Reviewed from notes.

Pours a very murky apricot-orange color. White head and a bit of lacing. Too murky as it is completely opaque and full of haze. Nose is light orange citrus with a tad bit of spicing and a bit of light wheat. Taste is wheat, orange, and sugar; definitely quite a bit cloying, which carries over into the feel. Drinks well enough, but this is a surprisingly heavy witbier.

Thorpe429, Nov 09, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +33.8%

Blue Moon requires an orange to meet its full potential, but that's part of the fun. It makes it a treat, rather than just a beer. This is a great one to give to somebody who doesn't like beer. I'm surprised to find out Coors makes it. Coors is disgusting.

Vashtar, Nov 01, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

29th review on BA
Bottle to pint.

I was at a family party last night and they happened to have Sam Adams and Blue moon as the go to beer. So not being a fan of either one decided to skip the bottle drinking and be that guy to review at a party and ask for a glass.

App- Very murky yeasty yellow with hints of orange and a 1 finger pretty thick head.

Smell- Yeasty with a small bit of spice

Taste- Bitter and a bit stale

Mouth- A bit flat and a tad bitter. Not sure if it was a bad bottle. Low carbontation and nothing overwhelming.

Drink- It was pretty hard to put this one down. I'm not a fan of Blue moon. Its not bad but just not my favorite.

FosterJM, Oct 31, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance- fizzy head, doesn't last long. leaves a decent lacing on my glass. translucent gold.

Smell- Coriander, oranges. hint of banana perhaps.

Taste- quite citrusy. coriander and clove. getting a very slight banana flavor. finishes with a hint of hops bitterness. if you let it get slightly warm (50 degrees F) the banana is more pronounced.

Mouthfeel- very light. barely carbonated

Drinkability- pretty good. reasonable ABV, the hops, citrus and spice flavors are all pretty tame.

In my opinion, while this isn't a great beer, it is decent and easy to find. One of the best macros you can buy.

SAxDRC5, Oct 27, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -5%

Pours out a cloudy orange tinted white color with a finger and a half head that fizzes away rather quickly and leaves little lacing. Smell has hints of orange but is mostly unassuming. Taste wise it is a crisp brew, not very strong on orange but coriander is evident. Finish has some decent wheat flavor but is watery. Drinkability is good, feel as though I could easily have a few more. Overall a good offering from a macro-brewery, but you'll find better witbiers out there.

gatorguy, Oct 27, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

When you go to a cookie cutter restaurant the tap list isn't anything special, that's when you get yourself one of these.

Served in a pint glass with an orange wedge at Applebee's (seriously)

The appearance of this beer is a very cloudy pale orange color with a nice finger of white foam. The aroma is skewed a bit due to the presence of the orange in my glass, so clearly I smell that. In addition there is the distinct aroma of sour hops, coriander, and light caramel. The flavor however is rather astringent for my liking the faint sourness doesn't help matters, now I know why the orange is given with it, because it helps cut through the astringency. I also believe that I taste some cilantro/garden salad-like flavor that is really off-putting. It feels fairly syrupy in the mouth, but there is still an appropriate amount of carbonation. It isn't too hard of a beer to drink, not a bad option if your choices are limited to BMC.

Vdubb86, Oct 23, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

22 oz. bomber purchased 10/20/2010 in Easthampton, MA. Sampled 10/21/2010.

Appearance- Poured slowly into an aggressive finish. Fizzy 1 finger head, dissipating quickly. No lace retention on the head. The color of this brew is a deep yellow- goldenrod-esque. Can't see through it- that's a good thing!

Smell- Lots of coriander. Some vague spices. The nose on this brew isn't very strong.

Taste- There's the coriander. A hint of other strange spices, possibly a tad of clove & nutmeg adorn the outer edges. Slight lingering of hops. Overall, a good taste for a beer made under contract by a major macro-brewer. Just a little thin.

Mouthfeel- Pretty light. Perfect for a spring/summer barbecue. Good to wash some meat down the gullet.

Drinkability- Reasonably average alcohol level. Reasonably light in body and texture. Easy to swallow. I do like these, and it's about the only halfway decent beer on tap @ Chilis (besides Stella), so I know I'll be swallowing many more gallons of this stuff in my lifetime, though it will never be my first, or tenth, pick.

shredsofautumn, Oct 22, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -39.7%

Pours hazy yellow and a 1 inch head or so if poured vigorously.

Smells of orange peal, coriander, little bit of hops, yeast and fruit loops cereal.

Orange peal, yeast, spices, seems unbalanced and a slight bitterness.

Not too much carbonation, little bit light.

Easy to drink due to low alcohol but not easy to drink because of bad taste. I could drink this if had already drank a bunch of other stuff and was offered to me at a party, maybe.

I started drinking this when I was 18, I thought it was cool and I got the perception that is was a good beer. Unknowing to me it was a coors product. Since then I have had many better beers in general and of the same style. Blue Moon lacks very much and is barely a Belgian White.

lovetranquillity, Oct 18, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +5.9%

A- Pours a nize hazy orange color, but the head is gone almost immeditately.
S- Mostly wheat, with some orange/lemon in there. Not much to the coriander or other common spice aromas here.
T- Yeast and wheat with some fruit flavors in there as well. Again not much on the spice front. A bit sweet and lacking depth for my taste, but not bad.
M- Crisp and dry, particularly for how sweet I found it.
D- Not an overall bad beer. Pretty good for a BMC product I'd say. there are better wits out there, but this is pretty easily found and cheap.

jsprain1, Oct 15, 2010

i gave this beer 5's all across the board because it definitly deserves it. blue moons apperance, smell, and taste is the perfect match for me. its got that perfect dark color, with that strong taste which hints at orange at the end. also i think the best way to drink this beer is from bottle or tap, when drinking from can all the spices at the bottom dont get mixed very well.

EmericaMoon, Oct 13, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

This is the beer I drink at the ball park. It pours with a rich, foamy head that fades away leaving just a trace of foam around the glass. I find that the malt overpowers the hops with a slight spicy nose. The mouth feel is good, full bodied and fruity, with rich flavors, just slightly spicy. It is always served with a wedge of orange, which is ok, but unnecessary. I don't need fruit in my beer, and this beer can stand on its own. It is not like Corona where you need some help to make it palatable.

Ranchito, Oct 13, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Bavarian Pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pours golden with a ridiculously massive head. I poured this a little too aggressively and the head wound up escaping from my pint glass. Instead of measuring this head in fingers, I just chalked it up to "a fist's worth". Crazy.

Smell: Not very appealing. I can smell the orange, and I can smell the beer. But they are just not working well together here at all. The metallic scent I pick up in the back doesn't really help matters here.

Taste: Thankfully, this tastes better than it smells. The malts hit first, and they're of a slightly higher quality than most macros, but I can still taste a bit of the Coors Light adjunct kind of feel here. Thankfully, the orange comes in yet and helps it out. It's obviously quite synthetic, but is also a bit refreshing. It dominates the rest of the taste.

Mouthfeel: Very very carbonated. It feels a little too carbonated, it just slides right down the throat. It's kind of suited for the orangey style so I'll let it slide.

Drinkability; It's drinkable, but the synthetic orange kind of stops this from being sessionable. One glass isn't bad.

This beer is a pretty decent choice in beer wastelands. So many restaurants have this, and for many it's the best choice they have. It's enjoyable enough, and I find bottles sneaking into my mixed sixer pretty often. I couldn't see myself ever picking up a six-pack though, the synthetic orange is a bit too much. If Coors used better quality malts and orange, this could really be something special. But as it is, it's just a pretty good beer. There's no real wheat here though, not something to pick up if you're looking for a witbier.

shand, Oct 08, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

Generally if I go somewhere and they don't have a craft selection this is what I go to for something to drink.
Pours a somewhat hazed golden straw color with a nice white head and some decent lacing.
Smells of wheat style ale with hints of orange and coriander.
Medium to thin mouthfeel with some carbonation but normal for wheat beer.
Very drinkable, most can enjoy from the beer snob to the mass market sucker.

TheKingofWichita, Oct 05, 2010
3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

generally at an average restaurant with average beer and no yuengling, this is my go to beer.

A-cloudy gold, thin white head

S-very crisp wheat with a pleasant orange scent

T-unfiltered wheat and a nice orange zest to it! very refreshing! great orange after-taste

M-heavy carbonation but a watery finish

D-taste slightly obtained a citrusy bitterness to it, but the orange does stay. with that considered i can still drink large amounts of this with pleasure

AdamBear, Oct 05, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

12 oz can poured into a Hoegaarden tumbler. 5.4% ABV, Oct 11 10 on the bottom.

A - A bright white head tops the effervescent hazed-over pale yellow straw beer. A golden hint gives it a nice shine though. Decent retention to the white head but no lace.

S - Orange peel citrus starts the nose off with a strong aroma of fruit. Strong but attractive to me for a wit. It begs the question, at that point, why even add the orange? Hints of coriander and yeast spice mingle but a stale straw nose with metallic-like mineral hints really hinders this aroma.

T - Orange citrus flavor comes through in the finish with a lingering flavor. A nice spike of yeast and Belgian spice adds classic qualities but it seems a little sweeter than it should be. Far too Americanized as well as commercialized.

M - Medium-light bodied and fully carbonated with a citrus, tingling finish. Very average for a wit.

D - Decently drinkable but ditch the orange when asked. It's already got enough in the beer, the very last think this beer needs is more of it. Not a bad commercial witbier though, I think it just sometimes gets a bad rap from being a Coors product.

BeerFMAndy, Oct 01, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

This is one of my favorite "all day" beers and I think it deserves a better reputation than it gets. It has a creamy golden orange color and pours with a good head. Aroma is pleasant and fresh with citrus notes. I don't know where the idea to add a slice of orange came from, but doing so seems to bring out a crisp refreshing flavor that gives it a borderline hint of sweetness. It is great for hot summer days. The price is also very reasonable.

If I had only on complaint it would be that at 170 calories a bottle it can add up on your waistline in a hurry if you worry about such things. In my opinion it is the best beer offering from Coors.

Dadoftwogirls, Sep 27, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

"There's a bad moon on the rise." -CCR

Opaque orange with an itsy bitsy foam collar around the glass. I'd blame the poor appearance on the pour but, in retrospect, I've never seen a good looking Blue Moon draft.

Smells like moldy orange. I like funk but mold is going in the wrong direction. Tastes like orange Gatorade. Soda-like carbonation. When I went to Ireland a few years ago they had a sports drink that was pretty much carbonated orange Gatorade. This could be one and the same.

donkeyrunner, Sep 24, 2010
1.53/5  rDev -55%

Very bad for any given beer, and absolutely vile given witbeers are a favorite of mine that I got to when I want a low ABV beer with big character.

Has an unshakable macro-lager taste to it with every goddamn sip. I knew I hated this beer years ago, but I bought a single recently to reassure myself I wasn't being a prick when I shat all over Blue Moon in conversation. Yeah, I wasn't. This is worst witbeer I've ever had in my life. This is produced by a massive soulless corporation, and it shows. Ug. If I wasn't splitting with a friend half would of hit the drain.

Of course, Hoegarrden is now owned by Inbev-Anhauser Busch, so same goes for them - at least their beer is good to quite good despite their altering the original recipe.

bonapartist1, Sep 20, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass
Presenting the latest installment of the hit series, "Reaper Drinks Beer that People Left at His House After a Party."

Pours a mix of yellow and orange that almost makes an eerie green, like the sky in weather conducive to spawning tornadoes. The outer edges of the body are yellow, but the inner portion is a murky off-orange color. The body is quite cloudy throughout. Less than a finger of white head. Essentially no lacing. Below average appearance, I'd say. The typical witbier will look better.

The malt smells bad. Spoiled, almost. The wheat is not zippy and crisp smelling like it should be. There is a sourness in the grain smell, and it smells more like breakfast cereal than a wheat beer. Some orange peel aroma. Not much coriander. Some sugary sweetness that, combined with everything else, smells like Fruity Pebbles.

OH C'MON COORS. WHAT THE HELL. Seriously? You used adjuncts in this witbier? I don't know why I am surprised to taste corn here. It explains the sour mash aroma I was getting. The corn flavor shows up two seconds after the beer greets your palate and it dominates the finish. Nasty, fruity breakfast cereal is what this beer tastes like. It starts off OK: a nice flush of orange with a trace amount of herbal spice to balance it. You begin to form a thought in your mind, that thought being "Hey, this isn't a half-bad witbi..." and your thought gets cut off right there when the wheat flavor gives way to the corn. How unfortunate.

There's some heft to the body here, a creaminess that works with the flavor profile. But the general impression is of a slickness that doesn't mesh with the body's size. A misstep. Drinkability is up to you: you can drink plenty of these. They go down easily. Unless you don't like how it tastes, that is. A mature palate would not abide this beer for long.

This was actually far worse than I thought it was going to be. I was expecting a decent rendition of a witbier. I got something that was slightly below average in some ways and dreadful in the most important way.

Reaper16, Sep 19, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Have been enjoying some great witbiers lately and decided to try Blue Moon to see how it stacks up to some that I've enjoyed. Bottom line here is that this isn't a bad beer by any stretch, it's just not exciting at all.

Pours with a white head that forms and immediately vanishes. The beer is a cloudy yellow straw color with a slight touch or orange. No lacing at all.

Smells like powdered Tang. Certainly some grain...

Light bread, slight yeast, very mild flavor. Some light citrus fruit. Pretty dry flavor.

Almost powdery on the tongue, light mouth feel and body.

As I said up front, not terrible, just not exciting. Makes sense that this is a mass produced version of a Wit.

Reagan1984, Sep 18, 2010

A- Cloudy with floating yest particles and possibly bits of orange throughout. Light tangerine color with a fair amount of carbonation and a bright white head. The beer looks like it tastes if that makes sense.

S- Orange and malt with a slight zest at the finish.

T- Dominant orange and malt sweetness with a slight bite on termination.

M- Creamy and smooth.

D- Good session brew on a hot day

dcook11, Sep 16, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +11.2%

S- Served from a chilled 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Partially cloudy, dull range glow with less then a fingers width of white head.

S- Delightful sent of orange and spice with a hint of lemon zest. A good summer beer that's made year round.

T- Smooth orange flavor with a slight aftertaste of spice and citrus.

M- Light beer with smooth carbonation.

D- Easy to drink light beer. Refreshing and perfect after a hard days work.

HUXC, Sep 16, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

A - an impenetrable hazy yeasty looking light orange, very short white head disappeared almost instantly
S - very grainy wheat malty, definite orange zest, light yeast esters, and a hint of coriander spice
T - coriander is much stronger than the smell, nice orange zest, wheaty malt, and light belgian yeast
M - fairly strong carbonation, the maltiness is chewy smooth, spice is a little strong and you feel it in the nostrils, with a somewhat tart dry finish
D - a very refreshing brew in flavour and feel, although the coriander spice is weighted a little heavy, almost reminds me of a beer and orange juice mix, would make a nice summer session

joemcgrath27, Sep 15, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours cloudy goldenrod with a creamy white head that rims but leaves little lace. Wheat, wax and citrus nose. Fanta malts with some papaya and honey, a sour metal tang, wheaty sweet middle and prickle of spice to finish. Thin, fizzy, cloys a bit when warm.

Not as bad as it could or maybe should be, but too thin and sweet to really be worthwhile.

StJamesGate, Sep 14, 2010