Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into a wheat beer glass.

A: hazy orange amber, nice foamy white head.

S: orange, coriander, some fruity yeast funk.

T: pretty much mirrors the smell, there is plenty of orange, lemon, coriander, clove, and gummy bears up front, the middle is estery with a decent acidity, the finish is mostly clean with some yeasty funk residue.

M: slightly oily, the carbonation is decent but subdued.

D: a good summer sipper. Skip the orange slice.

Erish, Aug 13, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from the bottle into a stolen Pizza Inn globe goblet.
The colour was what I would expect from a Wit. Dense, orangish-amber and nearly opaque.
The head was a little disappointing, as I expected it to hold on a little longer than it did.
Remember the old "Bass-O-Matic" sketch on "Saturday Night Live", where Dan Ackroyd threw a whole Bass into a blender? Well, Blue Moon Belgian Wheat sort of reminds me of what would happen if Paddington Bear tossed one of his trademark Marmalade sandwiches into this device, with a can of Extra Gold to aid in liquefaction.
This is not necessarily a put down, as I'm even more fanatical about Marmalade than Beer at times. It really has a strong note of Robertson's Scotch.
I didn't try the Orange slice garnish recommended on the label, but I do think this one would benefit from it. The addition of a Maraschino Cherry would probably be really pleasant as well.
Blue Moon Belgian Wheat would be quite acceptable as a Cocktail. As a Beer it fares far less successfully.
I kind of liked it, but probably will only buy more to undre...uhh...impress a few unfortunate ladies that dare visit the man cave.

BobJustBob, Aug 13, 2010

A- Pours a hazy orangeish color with a white fizzy head. Head has very little retention and leaves pretty much no lacing.

S- Smells wheaty with hints of orange and spices.

T- Very fruity with strong wheat flavors as well. Hints of spices in the background mainly coriander.

M- Lighter side of medium in body and higher side of carbonation.

D- Not my favorite of the style but ok. Pretty easy to drink.

nrbw23, Aug 09, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

The CANQuest (TM) had a notification from huey782 about Blue Moon in a CAN but since our trade had gone off and it was agreed that I should be able to find it locally, it took until now for me to tick it off (an allusion to a recent thread about traders and ticking), if you CAN dig it. Well, CAN you?

From the CAN: "Brewmaster's CAN". I did not mean to rip somebody off. That's like having a Mai Tai. You CAN have a Your Tai, I'm having My Tai. Same with Mylanta. If you want some, get your own, this is mine. Now I have to CANtact their brewmaster to see what he wants done with his CAN. "Blue Moon. Artfully Crafted. (Reg. TM)" Don't get me started on what one CAN legally get away with using a trademarked slogan! "Brewed with white wheat and oats, this Belgian-style ale features a crisp finish and the perfect combination of orange peel and coriander. Our Brewmaster's CAN protects the taste of Blue Moon so it is as fresh as it was when it left the brewery. Garnish with an orange and enjoy."

I CANnot decide which auditory quality of CANned beer I enjoy more - the "Glug, glug, glug" of the pour or the fizzing of the massive head as it falls like a quiche upon slamming the oven door. Call it better than a finger's worth of bone-white head with low retention. Color was a deeply cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose was both spicy and fruity, like an orange sprinkled liberally with black pepper. Nice! Mouthfeel was medium with an upfront taste of orange citrus. Finish was dry with the black pepper flavor noted on the nose. Honestly, this was pretty doggone tasty, especially on a hot summer afternoon. I probably would not want a steady diet of it, but after all of the crappy AALs that I have reviewed in a CAN, I don't relish the ongoing steady diet of them, either. I'd put some in the cooler, headed to the beach or somewhere warm.

Cue Frankie Blue Eyes, but with my modifications:

Blue Moon, I saw you sittin' in the cooler
Without a thought in my head, without a CAN of my own
Blue Moon, you knew just what I was there for
You heard me sayin' a prayer for
A CAN I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my hand will hold
I heard somebody whisper "please adore me"
And when I looked, my credit card had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer alone

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only CAN my hand will hold for the next few minutes
I heard somebody whisper "please adore me"
And when I looked, my credit card had turned to gold

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer sober

Blue Moon, now I'm no longer sober

woodychandler, Aug 07, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into 16oz Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, bright golden color with a large but thin and quickly-dissipating white head that doesn't really leave behind lace as it goes.

Smell: Citrus, yeast, and spices- very appetizing.

Taste: Begins with a lemon-zest flavor and a hint of spice, finishing yeasty with more citrus (lemon still,m plus orange).

Mouthfeel: Light body with light carbonation and a watery, refreshing finish.

Drinkability: For a beer made by one of the "big three" this is actually quite good. Flavorful, but also refreshing and inexpensive enough to just have around as a "lawnmower" beer.

Mosstrooper, Aug 06, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pillowing, fluffy head. I had no orange to garnish my glass with so I did feel a bit let down. Strong scents of orange and also some sugar cookie scents. Taste has an orange like flavor a bit dry on the finish. Mouthfeel is nice and solid. This beer is very refreshing in the summer and is a good one to look for at most bars as an alternative to most BMC stuff. Overall the drinkable nature is great.

mtnbikerpa, Aug 06, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

12oz can.

Pours a light cloudy yellow, nose is light and wheaty, light orange peel.

Taste is light and wheaty, it's a bit sharp and fresh. For cheap beer it's ok but I wouldn't seek it out. Mouth feel is creamy and sharp and finish is dry. Overall decent macro.

kingcrowing, Aug 05, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

twist off 12 oz bottle.

Looks like a light wheat beer. Thin head with very dismal head retention.

Someone once told me they thought there was blueberries in this beer, to my knowledge there isn't. But I can definitely smell a dark berry in the aroma. Elderberries, blueberries, some appetizing yeast esters.

Tastes like a citrousy wheat beer. Smooth mouthfeel. Quenching and tasty.

This is a good universal beer. It appeals to beer drinkers of all kinds, the headie craft beer drinkers, and the common mega swill drinkers. I often use Blue Moon as a bridge to "enlighten" people to the availability different beer in the world. Highly drinkable, delicious Belgiany. Good American craft beer.

mlazzaro, Aug 04, 2010
3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours orange and cloudy with a modest head that laces the glass. Yeast particles are visible.

S: Yeast and bread with oranges.

T: See smell. Plenty of citrus and a light wheat and yeast.

M: On par with many other white beers. Not too much carbonation.

D: Solid go to beer when you have to please a variety of palates. Very drinkable and appropriate for any time of year.

Beasticles, Aug 03, 2010
3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a golden hazy color with little yeast pieces in it. Topped with an orange slice, smells like citrus, bread, wheat, coriander, and possibly a strong yeast smell....

mouthfeel is extremely sharp and sticks to the palate, i disliked the feeling but the taste overpowers it. it has an amazing citrus and bready taste with a strong wheat aftertaste. It is extremel light and easy to drink, just like coors to put this out.

gboy515duo, Aug 01, 2010
3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

I some times drink blue moon in my local pub and I got to say its not that bad. It looks great and does have a smooth taste and a good smell. Just get a pitcher cut up some orange slices and you'll enjoy the rich wheat taste it gives after a couple drinks. My final thought its not the best or the worst but its worth a try.

dopehousex3, Jul 31, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Served in a chilled mug at The Tombs, complete with an orange slice.

Figured I'd revisit the past a bit and rock some Blue Moon (sans Platters). It pours a hazy orange straw topped by less than half a finger of white micro-foam (I blame the orange slice). The nose comprises wheat, coriander, and orange peel, all kinda weak, but still definitely wit-y. The taste follows along a similar vein, with notes of coriander, some cardamom, some light hoppy bitters, and a weird harsh orange/other citrus bite that leans toward lime territory. Were it not for that last part, this wouldn't be all that bad. The body is light, with a fizzy carbonation and a feel I can really only describe with the less-than-helpful term "wet". Overall, nowhere near a great wit, but they don't all have to be Oscar Wilde...it's still pretty drinkable...and nicely cheap.

TMoney2591, Jul 27, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +38.2%

This by far is the best of any brewed by Coors Brewing Company. Looks excellent. Smells really fresh and crisp. Taste and mouthful are really good. No words really to describe its taste. Drinkability is good. Could go through a six pack feeling good. For some reason this beer reminds me of winter and winterfresh gum in taste and appearance

yuenglingfan101, Jul 26, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

pours a cloudy pale orange hue. smells wheatey with a bit of orange. Has a wheatey taste, like the smell that goes smoothly across the palate. it has a medium body and goes down smoothly. Overall, its an alright beer that is pretty common at restaurants and the like, so i'll enjoy one there, but not something i'll buy for myself. there are better witbiers out there. one positive note is that it has been a good starting point for me to get my friends interested in craft beer, since its made by coors, it isn't a big risk for them.

gkunkle, Jul 26, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

A- A hazy, cloudy orangish yellow color. Decent appearance.

S- Hazy, some malts to it, orangish spices.

T- A hint of spices, malts. Mildly thickness to it. I slightly enjoyed the taste. This is definitely a witbier.

M- Good carbonation and feel in mouth. Not very bubbly.

D- Drinkable. This was on special when I had it, so I could have probably gone for one or two more. I only had one because I wanted to try it out.

This was my first witbier and I thought it was alright. Overall, I'd recommend it. Now I'm looking to try its other varieties - the summer ale and honeymoon.

sluggermatt15, Jul 25, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

A - Murky (not in a bad way), muted orange hue, hazy and cloudy (this is a witbier). Nice light and frothy head with lacing throughout.

S - Definite smell of oranges (and that was without an orange slice in the beer)

T - One of my favorite beers when I first started trying out a variety of beers. Today, however, the taste was good, but not spectacular. Hint of oranges and grains.

M - Good carbonation, very smooth beer.

D - I could drink one after another of this one.

LuthersMug, Jul 25, 2010
3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

22 oz bomber. Hazy gold with a short white cap that settled to a collar. Short-lived spotty lace. Lots of orange zest in the aroma, mild coriander, slight yeastiness. Low bitterness with some malt up front. Orange flavour really dominated the finish, nearly juicy, and spices were very light, slightly peppery. Light to medium bodied with lively carbonation, decent texture. It's pretty solid all around and a good choice when you're in an establishment without a craft beer selection.

DrJay, Jul 24, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +39.7%

A - Dark amber. A clear glass shows off the carbonation well. Not much head

S - Flowery with citrus tones

T - Same as the smell, but with a malty undertone

M - A bit heavier than water, doesnt coat the inside of the mouth and is very crisp.

D - Very drinkable. I could easily drink several of these in a night.

Insomnicat, Jul 24, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -5%

Tastes a lot less like a macro than you'd expect. Golden and fairly cloudy. Strong flavor - there were strong citrus and floral flavors but it was less girly than I was lead to believe. Medium bodied and easy to drink although I didn't like the aftertaste.

JonnieC, Jul 23, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

This was the first beer that I had that really got me interested in trying different beers. When first poured it pours a hazy orange with a mediocre head that dissipates slowly and has mild lacing. The first thing you notice is the citrus and spices brewed in the beer. Not to hoppy and leaves a clean finish after each sip. This was my beer of choice every Sunday last season when the saints played.

92jAKe47FS, Jul 21, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

A- orange and hazy. due to it's lack of filtering. thin head, which keeps longer than expected.

S- a good fruity yet wheaty smell. possibly oak notes(?).

T- with the 'traditional' orangle garnish added it is a smooth orangy beer with not too much carbonation or adjunct 'bitter-face- bite.

M- Gritty due to the yeast and wheat left in the brew, but is still smooth and pleasant.

D- very drinkable. a good session beer, for beer champs and novices alike. I really enjoy this beer on tap. I'll pass up a cerveza and a lot of IPA's to get this one with a meal.

sunkistxsudafed, Jul 21, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

I regret that I never gave the beer the appreciation that it deserves. It's a delightful beer if you learn to appreciate it. I've enjoyed it with a number of dishes, but i prefer it with a strong tasting grilled chicken. I always use the signature orange peel to garnish.

newcastleme, Jul 20, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a hazy golden into my SA Perfect Pint. About a finger of white head is achieved that quickly dissipates leaving decent lacing.

Smell - Citrus, peppery spices, coriander, wheat.

Taste - Similar to nose. Tastes like what you would expect a macro witbier to taste like. Not half bad, refreshing, but not something I'd pick up in the future.

Mouthfeel - Medium to light bodied. Decent carbonation.

Drinkability - Relatively so to be honest. Not a horrible beer - there are just so many others I'd rather drink.

SpdKilz, Jul 18, 2010
2.85/5  rDev -16.2%

Had this on a few occasions, both on tap and in a bottle.

A: Orange, very cloudy.

S: Had a pretty decent aroma through the wheat.

T: Thick, heavy taste. Malts are there, but not a lot of hops, if not none at all.

M: Still feel the thickness in my mouth after consuming.

D: As a once in a while beer, yes. However, there are a few things that you should know about it: never drink it without an orange garnish, never consume it by the keg or even buy a keg of it, and never use it to play beer pong. I realized that mistake after this past New Years.

RAdragna, Jul 12, 2010
2.53/5  rDev -25.6%

Blue Moon Belgian White pours a hazy dark yellow with a huge head.

smells initially of grain, with some wheat and coriander as well.
tastes of grainy, wheaty malt with orange peel and spices. not much depth or any reason to continue drinking.

mouthfeel watery, slightly dry.

not recommended. every bit of flavor that could be appreciated (wheat, coriander, orange(also...orange?)) is swallowed by the adjunct grainy flavor. a poor example of a belgian wit.

vdread, Jul 11, 2010