Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
CityBoy1986

Mississippi

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner glass. The freshness date is July 2009.

The pour is a hazy gold with a finger's worth of white head. The head is gone quickly, and there is some lacing.

The nose is full of citrus, especially orange, and coriander. The taste is more of the same with bready undertones.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a lot of carbonation. Drinkability is good; I could have a few.

This is a solid example of the style. If there were nothing else good available, I would have one of these.

03-23-2009 22:01:32 | More by CityBoy1986
Stimack

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

Last evening we went out to watch a few of the NCAA games and I thought, heck I have never reviewed this brew - so what the heck. Brew had a nice cloudy orange color with a thick white head that broke down pretty quickly but did have a white film throughout though it lead to just a few spots of lacing. The aroma is pretty nice, citrus fruit of orange and lemon come to mind with some very light spicing. The flavor is also very good, nice mix of spicy, coriander and malts. Nice sweet feel, goes down very easy. People who really like wit beers would probably say that this one is a little light in some of its properties but it is made for the masses and is a good representation and seems very popular. We usually do not go to restaurants that have a poor beer selection but if so and they have this one I would get this in an instant.

03-20-2009 13:02:02 | More by Stimack
Kopp

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

I've had in both a bottle and from tap with an orange wedge (while in Florida - most enjoyable blue moon I've ever had) - Orange wedge adds to the flavor but is by all means definitely not necessary

A: has a cross between an amber and a goldish color to it, a bit cloudy - with a whiteish small head that disappears quickly

S: the scent of coriander and orange is detected - not overpowering but very nice

T: sweet and nice tasting - you can taste the coriander and the orange in it - the orange wedge really adds to the flavor but is not necessary

M: crisp with good carbonation - enjoyable especially in the heat

D: I would definitely drink again

Overall: I had blue moon belgian white on it's own and with dinner - steak sandwich with onion and mushrooms, and it was a great experience either way. The sweetness was appreciated as was the refreshing taste following a day after walking around in the sun, I recommend.

03-20-2009 08:19:24 | More by Kopp
birdypowder

Oregon

3.4/5  rDev 0%

I poured my Blue Moon into a tulip pilsner glass and watched as the head dissipated very quickly as if it was offended by my choice of glassware. I also noticed there was no lacing and no head remained on top of the beer as I drank this highly popular Coors product. These are the reasons for my low score in the appearance category.

The aroma was more impressive. Citrus zest, orange, and some faint coriander. It didn't really smell like beer due to the predominant fruity aromas.

The color reminded me of orange creamsickles or cantaloupe. The beer was hazy of course.

I think my Blue Moon might have lost some of its carbonation somehow. Maybe the twist off was slightly askew. However, I was really surprised at how fast the carbonation left this beer. The aforementioned head retention problems coupled with the fact that this beer just looked flat by the time I was halfway done with it, make me think I got damaged goods somehow. I find it highly unlikely that a brewery as technologically advanced as Coors would get something like carbonation wrong.

Drinking the Blue Moon was refreshing but uninspiring. Light acidity, very light bitterness, a small sweet kick in the end and a faint floral hop taste complemented nicely the previously mentioned aromas.

This is a tasty and refreshing, very drinkable interpretation of the style. I could have a 6 pack of these in the summer if that weren't considered alcoholism.

03-19-2009 02:57:19 | More by birdypowder
thekevlarkid

Maryland

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Out of a bomber bottle this beer was a cloudy, honey-gold color with lots and lots of rising carbonation. The three finger head was off-white and retained quite nicely as a cap that left pretty good lacing. The aroma was pleasant and clean, orange, coriander, pale malt sweetness. The flavors were not quite as well developed but still solid. I tasted pale malt and a little adjunct (corn?) grain up front with the orange and orange peel and light spices in the middle. The finish was a little macro-ish and perhaps slightly metallic but not bad. The mouthfeel was average, the body medium and the carbonation the same. This is actually a solid, widely available, inexpensive example of a Belgian White and therefore it is also the best product the Coors Brewing Co makes, period. Try it, gulp it, order another.

03-15-2009 15:46:57 | More by thekevlarkid
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

Pours into my wine glass with a frothy, quarter finger thick, large bubbled off-white colored head. The beer is a hazy, amber-gold color. The aroma smells of grassy coriander with a backdrop of citrus that becomes more prominent as I take subsequent draughts of the aroma. As the beer warms up the aroma begins to remind me of watered down orange juice.

Lightly sweet tasting with lots of coriander flavors, a touch of grassy grain and some cracker like malt notes. The citrus flavors are noticeable up front and move to a prickly, carbonic tasting, peppery carbonation that is pretty substantial. The carbonation is actually a bit too much, but some aggressive swirling brings it down to a more manageable level. Somehow the citrus character here starts to become more of a washed out orange juice like flavor than a bright citrus oil note that I would prefer. This is pretty light bodied, enough so that the initial carbonation made it seem a bit too fizzy.

Not bad, but seems fairly boring for a Wit. I was honestly expecting a bit more from this beer; more fermentation complexity would definitely be appreciated.

03-12-2009 03:59:39 | More by Gueuzedude
njthebestofme

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

not a bad beer.. nice and refreshing .. it kinda has a bazzoka bubble gum taste to it..appearance is cloudy.. avaerage head and a yellowish haze to it.. smell with oranges like a fruity drink.. taste its sweet .. can taste a wheat base.. and fruity notes..

03-06-2009 06:15:31 | More by njthebestofme
callmescraps

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Leftovers.

Appearance - Sort of a dark straw color. Kind of cloudy. A very small head that gets lost fast.

Smell - A little sweet citrus, with some spice. Very mellow smell, but pleasant.

Taste - A little sweet citrus. With a little bit of spice. Sort of a nutty, ginger, medicine taste. Pretty mild, however. Diluted by a macro wateriness, and some thin bread.

Mouthfeel - Pretty nice. Fairly crisp with good carbonation.

Drinkability - Not too bad. It doesn't have enough going on to be objectionable. But, that sweetness builds up on you.

A totally mediocre bev. That said, one of the first "Belgian" style beers I ever had, so it was somewhat of a revelation at the time. I think it's great that this stuff exists, at least so that dumb high school kids can discover there's something other than Beast in this world.

03-06-2009 06:04:02 | More by callmescraps
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

1.68/5  rDev -50.6%

Bottle served into stange glass, bought in Blackfriars bar in the Merchant city in glasgow.

A- 3 finger rocky carbonated head, orange cloudy hue, Head reduced quickly with minimal lacing.

S- Cloves and an overwhelming orange note.

T- Lots of orange in the beginning, a faint hint of spice. Faint bready malt in the finish although quick.

M- High carbonation, thin

D- Not refreshing really, all thin and void of complexity with an overwhelming orange syrupy sweet note, making this a pass!

03-05-2009 18:18:37 | More by seanyfo
wordhog61

1.7/5  rDev -50%

My son loves this beer, so I had one tonight and couldn't finish it, tastes awful if you ask me.

A-The head was thin and didn't last long.

S-It smells great when poured, like an orange.

T-From the time it entered my mouth until I swallowed I just did not like the taste, yuck.

M-Yuck.

D-This wasn't for me, sorry.

03-05-2009 00:47:13 | More by wordhog61
mmopt

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

As many know this has become quite commercialized and is nearly everywhere, but I've found it's maintained to be a solid beer. Pours a cloudy medium orange with very slight carbonation. Overall taste has heavy presence of orange no matter if you put the generic orange nearly always served at your local chain restaurant. These things said, I can't rate this beer badly and it occasionally will beat out the standard Sam Adams. Last thing, although solid it's not a beer I can drink too many of so my drinkability rating suffers.

03-04-2009 19:28:37 | More by mmopt
mikeal1917

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

Blue Moon is a Beligian-Style Witbier, and being a Wheat beer fan, is one of my favorites.

Appearance- As you pour, you see the orange wisps begin to appear inside the amber color beer. A medium size head appears and slowly dissipates as the beer settles.

Smell- A oaty, hoppy, nutty smell to this Wheat beer is amazing.

Taste- The oats and grain taste is apparent and strong, as well as the orange taste. Goes down smooth with a weak aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- A creamy, mild feel makes this beer have the perfect mouthfeel in my book. Not to watery, but not drinking syrup either.

Drinkability- As with most wheat beers, it is somewhat filling, but isn't unbearable

03-04-2009 03:20:02 | More by mikeal1917
woodske1

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

I think they may have changed the recipe on this beer. In the last 6 months the taste has changed in my book.

Anyway this is as good as Coors gets. It is a nice beer that has just enough taste and smell to make you want to drink it. I will say it is a bit yeasty.

03-03-2009 00:52:38 | More by woodske1
mjw06

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

One of my favorite "comfort" beers, but every time I have it on-tap it just seems to dissapoint me. So heres a review of a draft i had tonite that lived up to the standards ive begun to expect from a blue moon on-tap.

-Absolutely no head. Where did it go? Still not sure.

-Smell remains the same, a citrusy wheat smell.

-A funny off taste thats just not characteristic of one from the bottle.

-Overall just not all that drinkable. What can else can I say? One day I figure out the problem.

03-01-2009 07:13:02 | More by mjw06
HopHead84

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Golden shower falls
My glass is filled to the brim
White head fades quickly

Glass raised tward my nose
Coriander and citrus
Like a clean brothel

Flavor is the same
Light on the palate and crisp
East end gratitude

Dominos pizza
Not great but mediocre
I'm in Evansville

Witte beers are good
Somebody hook this dude up
That's right you heard me

02-27-2009 03:29:57 | More by HopHead84
showell

Arizona

3.45/5  rDev +1.5%

Hmmm, you know, I've tried several Belgian Whites, and I think this is going to be one of my favorites, especially considering the price. Not my favorite style, but for what it is, I really quite like it. It's got a citrus smell, and a citrus, orangey taste. It's a bit sweet, but not so bad that it leaves you thirsty. Several people say they can smell and/or taste hops, but I don't. The citrus and orange covers it up for me if it's there. All in all, a nice white, and very drinkable.

02-22-2009 23:36:46 | More by showell
PerroGrande

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

Blue Moon is a fairly standard Witbier -- A "White" beer. It is "cloudy" in appearance, and is typically served with an orange slice.

Slice or no, Orange is a key player throughout the experience. It is notable in the aroma, and is there to stay. Coriander is notable as well, and I detect a slight hint of ginger.

People who are used to a highly filtered beer might find the appearance a bit disconcerting. However, the traditional White Beer is not filtered to a "crystal" clarity, so the cloudy appearance is to be expected.

Blue Moon opens sweet, with the Orange dominating the experience. In fact, I have flagged Blue Moon as the "sweetest beer I can tolerate". Fortunately, the sweetness relents enough to be an enjoyable beer.

This beer works nicely with food, and it seems to be widely available. It works well with foods that have an "edge" -- a nicely spiced Italian Sub, Chili, Nachos, and the like.

I rated the drinkability as "Average" because (to me), this beer has an interesting habit of leaving my palette feeling "slightly thirsty." I suspect this is somehow due to the acidity of the orange and the finish produced by the spice.

02-20-2009 04:08:18 | More by PerroGrande
bonkers

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

I had this on tap at a local Applebees. It was served in a weizen glass. It was a hazy orange with a small white head. The aroma was dominated by spices with a hint of citrus zest. The flavor is sweet and dominated by coriander with a citrus backdrop. The beer is light bodied and easy drinking. The style is not my favorite, but this is not a bad beer.

02-20-2009 01:39:18 | More by bonkers
BigMike

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

Had a couple pints of this last week at the local Chilli's.

A cloudy,hazy orange color with about 1 finger head to it. Not much lacing.
They serve it with an orange wedge.

Smell is very light with slight citrus aroma.

Taste is light and citrusy with a slight spiceyness to it.

This is a good summer beer and is pretty refreshing.
Not something i would drink on a regular basis but not bad on a hot day if nothing else is available.

02-19-2009 01:32:09 | More by BigMike
projectflam86

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

A- Hazy orange/yellow color with decent off white head that quickly fades.

S- Strong wheat and orange nose with some spices. A faint whiff of astringency is apparent as well.

T- Crisp light wheat flavor with orange spice and hints of corriander. No hops to speak of.

M- Nice amount of carbonation for the style. Not alot of alcohol flavor making it relatively smooth and light.

D- Overall a decent Belgian White that falls short of others but is still quite drinkable.

02-18-2009 05:00:46 | More by projectflam86
FrothyBeverage

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

Served on tap with orange slice. The apperance is a cloudy golden orange color. You cannot see through the glass due to the opaque color. Minimal head and soapy lace. The smell is a very faint aroma of citrus and wheat. Not much to speak of on the smell. The taste is a blend of well ballanced flavors. There are hints of wheat, yeast, barley, citrus, and spices. The mouth feel is a major strong point. The beer has a very pleasant tingle on your tounge and is very carbonated. I find this beer very drinkable and is well ballanced. This is a good summer beer.

02-16-2009 20:28:36 | More by FrothyBeverage
allrizz

3.35/5  rDev -1.5%

I like this beer during the hot summer.

Appearance: It pours a cloudy orangish color with a white head.

Aroma: Orange/Citrus smell; spices; even some yeast.

Taste: Orange; wheat; spices

Drinkable but I feel it smells better than it tastes. I do drink it from time to time, depending what else is on tap.

02-16-2009 17:37:04 | More by allrizz
acelin

Kansas

4.4/5  rDev +29.4%

Serving Type: Bottle, poured into a glass.

Appearance: Very good color, darker than I expected for a Belgian White.

Smell: A very strong citrus smell, you can smell the malt as well.

Taste: Very good Wheat taste, a little too bitter for my liking. If you want more of a hoppy taste in your wheat beer, go for this over others.

Mouthfeel: Slightly thinner than most wheat beers I have had.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Easy to enjoy, great with burgers, pizza, and just plain drinking.

02-15-2009 22:20:23 | More by acelin
AdmiralDiaz

Surprisingly much worse than on-tap. Still an okay beer and great for restaurants and something to consume in larger quantities.
The appearance is hazy orange with small off-white head.
Smells and tastes of light oranges and wheat.
Mouthfeel is still moderately carbonated and drinkability is still high.

Overall: I just feel that it's much better on-tap, seems to have a lot more flavor.

02-15-2009 22:01:16 | More by AdmiralDiaz
bmwats

Louisiana

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from 650ml bottle into a pint glass.

A: Golden hazy straw color. Light carbonation pours into a 1 finger, white, foamy head. Fairly quickly settles leaving just a touch of carbonation on the surface. No lacing to speak of.

S: Wheat, freshly cut grass, and orange.

T: Wheat, hops, and hint of orange and lemon.

M: Light body. Sharp aftertaste. Coats the palette.

D: Good drinkability. Has a light and refreshing quality.

Decent atmosphere. Distinctive nose and palette. Tastes pretty much like it smells. The orange is integrated without really making the brew sweet. Light and drinkable. Overall, solid quaff.

02-15-2009 05:45:56 | More by bmwats