Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
2.35/5  rDev -30.7%

Pours a cloudy orange juice color with a bit of head. Tastes like a slightly lighter hefeweizen with the same traditional flavors. I'm not a big hefeweizen fan, so this isn't my favorite. Has that clove spiced taste youd expect. Ok, but if I were to drink this I'd add lemon or orange to cut some of that clove flavor I don't care for.

JDV, Jan 31, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Served on-tap at Boru's, Waterbury, Conn.

A: Poured a deep, hazy yellow with a clouded orange tinged center, and a very thin layer of carbonation which left a trace of swirling lace.

S: Smell is sweet and citric; you definitely pick up the orange peel, lemon zest and coriander on this one.

T: Tastes sweet and tangy with a wheaty vibe, and a sticky, buttery bread/corn aftertaste. The citrus fruits are a little sweet, yet balanced by a smoothing spicy undertone, possibly not enough so, however.

M: Mouthfeel is clean, but a little chewy. It's a medium-bodied witbier for sure.

D: Nice taste, consistent flavor, smell and appearance make this a real go-to beer for weizen, wheat and witbier fans alike. A manageable ABV make this a prime session brew as well.

The best and most classic of the Blue Moon line is their witbier. Although it's become very trendy to get this at bars and have at parties, (like the Stella craze), it IS a good beer, unlike the other "Belgian" beer just mentioned, and this one is made in America, and at friggin' COORS no less! Give it up for Blue Moon.

Gambrinus1184, Jan 31, 2008
2.65/5  rDev -21.8%

A: Murky golden yellow color with about 3-4 fingers of bubbly, egg white head.

S: Wheat, orange rind, some spices. Very yeasty and bready.

T: Wheat up front with a bit of an astringent spicy finish. Taste obviously dominated by wheat with a little bit of hop bitterness. Perhaps some alcohol as well? The taste really doesn't stick around long.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit thin but very smooth with pleasant carbonation.

D: Easy drinkin', not much thinkin'. I'm not a fan of Blue Moon and I wouldn't recommended it to someone interested in craft/non-BMC brews, but taken for what it is I'd drink it over other Coors products.

Reanimator, Jan 25, 2008

Ah...I again had the good ol' Zima of my youth, you know, the flat sprite/malt liquor taste that underaged drinkers can handle. The wretched taste of this sewage brought me back to those good old days of yore.

If any of you have read my posts before, I try really hard to rate beers within thier style. Thustly, even a lowly BMC product can get a good grade since they are typically in the Macro Light Lager class...just look at the competition. In this particular case, I have never had a Witbier and hope this is not a good example.

A-Honey colored and very cloudy.

S-Gross. Citrus, grass, lowtide and bongwater.

T-Gross. Citrus, grass, lowtide and bongwater.

M-With each mouthfull I swallowed too quickly to get the mouthfeel so to avoid gagging.

D-I would rather drink cat piss assuming that it would taste much better.

Update: I thought this review was funny, so i am leaving the text the same. I had another, and while I still don't like it, I don't hate it as much. I updated my numbers.

lawman834, Jan 23, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +30.7%

I drank this belgian white ale at a golf course as it was the best draft choice given the other american lager options.

A fruity, clean, white head and almost bright orange body that was served cold in a 16 ounce plastic cup. (Sorry, no other options)

Bartender advised that most people ask for orange slice with it but I promptly declined.

Fruity smell with an almost herbal hint. (Advised it was brewed with orange peel and coriander).

Clean, sweet flavor and feel with no strong, bitter after-taste.

Drinkable, although rather sweet.

I would recommend this belgian white ale to someone who ha grown accustomed to stale tasting american beer and a normally afraid of a non processed american lager or pilsner.

I would not recommend this ale if it were not served cold.

I prefer this ale as a change of pace and to me it is better than your run of the mill - Hefe's. or unfiltered wheat brews.

MQ4188, Jan 21, 2008
3.3/5  rDev -2.7%

Bottle into a New Castle pint glass with a slice of orange.

A: Hazy orange color. 3 Fingers of white head with some lacing.

S: The orange I put in overwhelms the nose but I have drank a lot of this beer and know there isn't much of one.

T: Wheat and a slight spiciness at the end. Wit light if you will. Tasty though.

M: Light body. Slightly watery on the tongue.

D: You can and I have drank this all day long. Good macro produced beer that non craft people are into. Give it up to Molson.

aerozeppl, Jan 19, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A friends sister introduced this to me on the Cape.
Poured from the bottle, a warm honey color with a rich with head that sits for a bit.
Smell is lemony, and a tad sweet.
Taste is enjoyable with hints of cinnamon and light spice.
MF is nice with the characters of this solid example of a Witbier, even though its from Golden, Col.
Drinkability is better than average, and throw a slice a lemon on top and stop worrying about your image, it adds a great element to Blue Moon.

mltobin, Jan 19, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

Paid $6.99 US at a local convenience store. Well crafted brew with a subtle taste profile. Pours cloudy light orange with about 3/4 inch of head. Modest amount of lacings. Very smooth taste but little in the hop department. A good transition beer from macro to craft beer. First time for a witbier. May buy again but only occasionally.

Spikester, Jan 18, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer poured a cloudy straw color with a frothy three-finger head. The smell is pretty typical of a wheat beer with some grains and yeast and just a hint of spices. The taste is slightly sweet with a definite citrus quality and finishes smooth with a bit of spiciness. This isn't the most complex witbier out there, but it makes a pretty good effort. It has a fairly energetic carbonation that leads to a rather pleasant mouthfeel and the beer's light taste makes for very good drinkability.

TheTrevor, Jan 18, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -15%

American version of a witbier, that in Long Island NY has become all the rage. On one hand I am glad a Begian White - non-"normal" beer like Bud, Miller, etc - is becoming popular. On the otherhand, this is not a very good beer. I find it quite ordinary. The fruity smell/taste is a bit overpowering for me. Must be coriander or the like. And the normal serving is to put a slice of orange in it, which to me makes it even more fruity in a bad way. I find that if I drink more than 3 of these I start getting an unpleasant aftertaste. Hours afterwards I still have that fruity taste in my mouth. Again, it is an average beer, not horrible, but I would much rather drink another Belgian White, or a good hefeweizen.

dgthompson, Jan 15, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured out a super hazy gold beer with a big fluffy head. I poured out the sediment also,,tons of yeast floaties.Lightly scented citrusy scent. Taste is light slightly sweet with a mild lemon taste to it. Not bad. Mouth feel is pretty good. Excellent drinkabilty,,a light brew i could drink quite a bit of.

tweeder263, Jan 12, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

This American witbier has a cloudy, amber appearance just like others of its ilk. It has a fruity smell, rich in oranges, though it doesn't exactly overhwelm the nose. You can taste the oranges prevalently, but it doesn't have the complexity of St. Bernardus' Witbier, to give an example. It has a vibrant mouthfeel common to this beer. Overall, this is a pretty drinkable beer (surprising it's made by Coor's) and it goes down eacy, though it's not exactly cream of the crop.

avalon07, Jan 11, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours golden and cloudy. It has a nice half inch white head.
Smell is very wheaty. It has tones of citrus as well.
The first thing you can taste is wheat and oats. After that tastes of orange and coriander hit the back of the tongue.
Nice mouthfeel. Smooth at the start with a crisp wheat finish.
Drinkability is very nice. I could (and have) drank many of these in one sitting.

BDIMike, Jan 11, 2008

This beer just doesn't invoke much emotion in me. Nothing remarkable, but nothing really bad. The most distinguishing aspect is its cloudy orangish yellow appearance right after being poured.

It's good though. Lots of citrus and wheat flavors, but there's a pretty heavy taste of rosemary which kind of hurts it. I'm usually not one for dissecting the subtle underlying flavors of beer, but the rosemary flavor is very prominent.

It's not overly heavy or acidic like some similar beers, making it easy to have more than one for us lushes. It's a pretty good take on a different style of beer. Worth having around every now and then.

ElGrecoVerde, Jan 10, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

This poured nicely and looked beautiful. It smelled like a wheat, with hints of citrus and wheat coming out. It tasted a little citrusy, however it was pretty watery, with a wheaty aftertaste. This was an all right beer...a little too watery for my tastes. However, it is very easy to take down.

birchstick, Jan 10, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

I have a special affection for Blue Moon because it was the first beer I drank (after my undergrad days) and thought, "Wow, beer can actually taste good." Tasty, refreshing orange flavor. However, I think I burned myself out on this one after way too many two for one mugs at Chili's. A good "starter" beer for those who aren't normally beer drinkers.

jenbys2001, Jan 10, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Yes, this is a macro version of my favorite Belgian style, but it isn't bad. It has a nice body and gives a good head, and there is some yeast and wheat evident in the smell. Has a smooth body, and the taste does offer up a little citrus and some sweetness. A little watery for my taste, but some bars like to put these on special and I order one from time to time (I hate when they put the orange slice in it though).

clayrock81, Jan 09, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

I am surprised people rate this as high as they do. I am a wheat beer fan. This is a feeble attempt. Too sour and too much coriander or other spice yet comes across as watery.

The head is nice, the mouthfeel is OK but the taste is what I can't get past. I am told this is the fastest growing beer in sales. I would drink other macros first. I never thought I would say that. Especially when I am a wheat beer lover.

daledeee, Jan 04, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Hazy, light amber-gold with a fizzy white head

Smell: Wheat, butter, citrus.

Taste: Initial bread flavors evolve into mild citrus notes. Finishes with mellow yeast flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Decent body for a wheat beer.

Drinkability: Pretty drinkable, but tame. Nothing takes it over the top.

SargeC, Jan 02, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

This beer pours a cloudy pale yellow, almost white color. It has a thick white head that sticks to the sides of the glass. It has an aroma of some wheat malts, some light hops, and some fruity aromas. The taste is OK. It has a sweet wheat taste followed by a fruity/bitter aftertaste. It is pretty good for a witbier and it has a good mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation. It is a very drinkable beer and it's nice with an orange slice in it. Worth a try.

erosier, Jan 02, 2008
3.28/5  rDev -3.2%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass, pours a hazy golden color with a white head and a lot of little particles floating around. smell is not very strong but is definitley sweet and citrusy. taste is really sweet and citrusy. mouth is medium bodied and smooth, this beer is way too sweet for me but one or two would be refreshing on a hot summer day.

jayfarley3, Dec 19, 2007

A: Nice light yellow with fine white head and long lacing.

S: Smells of citrus and light malts. and maybe Suave shampoo (but not i a bad way)

T: Nice citrus tones with a little pleasing sour aftertaste. smooth malt.
and again with some Suave shampoo in there ( but not in a bad way again)

M: Perfect carbonation balances everything out to be a smooth medium-light elixir.

D: Very Drinkable, especially for a Coors. smooth and goes down easy. Overall easy to drink.

flatblack80, Dec 15, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +10%

Drank this one straight out of the bottle for some reason on every occasion I've had to try it, contrary to usual custom. The bottle is attractive enough, though.

S: Not very complex, but appetizing. Fairly strong citrus.

T: Tastes likes it smells. Not very complex, but this beer has a nice muted citrus flavor. Might be good with a slice of citrus like wheat beers.

M: Very good, works in tandem with the flavors of the beer. Just right on the carbonation, not overly thin.

D: This is good stuff. I gladly drink this when none of my preferred porters or stouts are available, or during the summer and fall.

I'm really glad nobody told me this beer was made by Coors before I tried it. Otherwise, I would have probably missed out on what turns out to be a great beer that is readily available. Probably the best Coors brewed beer IMO.

trentley87, Dec 13, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +18.9%

A- golden orange with a little sediment, head went away quickly but left small amount

S- citrus, spice, yeast

T- well balanced, not too bitter or sweet, fairly long clean finish

M- great carbonation whether from glass or bottle.I had the beer out of the bottle and from a glass and I felt the glass didn't have as great of a mouthfeel as the bottle; but it never went flat

D- Very drinkable

WishYouWereBeer, Dec 12, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +24.5%

A- Pours a cloudy orange yellow with a nice white head. Lacing is very light and the head went away and left a behind faint traces.

S- Smell is of citrus mostly or oranges and of wheat.

T/M- Taste of wheat and of citrus. Mouth feel is very nice. A very well balanced beer.

D- I wanted to try this again just at the off chance the waitress brought me the wrong beer when I had it on tap. I was always hesitant to try this before since it is brewed by one of the big American micro breweries. I am very glad I did try it, and tried it again It may not be the best example of the style nor the best beer out there, but all in all it is very good. I have had a couple and I am thinking that this might be one of my staple beers during the summer. It is refreshing and very easy to drink.

monkeybeer, Dec 09, 2007