Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,532 | Hads: 6,197
4.31/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: Clear yellow, not filtered. Nice white foam head.
S: Smells very citrusy, I served with a slice of sour orange on the edge of the glass.
T: Citrus notes: orange and coriander, very refreshing and easy to drink beer.
F: Medium body, medium carbonation.
O: I really like this witbier in the summer, always with the orange slice. (331 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had a glass of this one for the first time in months when eating at a favorite local place with family. Best-by date of April 2015 on the bottle; poured into a cold (but not frosted) mug the restaurant provided. No orange wedge here!

Light orangey color, not much head at all (especially if you pour slowly.) More of a cloudy/hazy look to it than most beers I've had.

Smell is... well, honestly I barely noticed it this time around, even when I took a bit of a sniff. Maybe a faint grain/bread sort of thing, but I think the smells of food must have just completely overwhelmed the smell of the beer. I do remember it having a bit of a slightly unpleasant funky smell to it when I've had it before, though this glass in particular had no noticeable funkiness was leaning more toward "not much smell at all."

Taste is... actually really nice. Orangey, bready, a bit of some spice I can't immediately identify coming in occasionally... both flavorful and very refreshing, and no real clashes with my food either. A whole lot better than I remember it being the last time I had it, actually--the orange peel and spice stood out *much* more in this glass compared to what I've had before; I actually don't remember picking up any "orangeyness" at all the last time I had a Blue Moon.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by my revisit to one of the first beers I ever tried and liked. I was fully expecting the "not quite as good as I remembered" experience so many people mention having upon making a return visit to one of their first beers, but ended up with the exact opposite. I have to wonder if the people who bash on this beer are really just bashing on the company that makes it rather than any actual negative qualities of the beer itself... or maybe others in the style are just *that* much better that people start to mistake "less good than this other really amazing thing" with "not good at all," as people tend to do? I'll have to try some of the others and see, I suppose. (1,996 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -1.7%

This is a good beer, however I do not see what all the fuss is about there are cheaper and better wheat beers out there. Have paid 5 GBP for a pint of this, which is quite frankly ridiculous. (191 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Review based on Orange slice added. Perfect refreshing summer beer. Fruity but not too hoppy to my disspointment. Certianly my favourite wheat beer and one of my go to's. (170 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle from BevMo. Pours a hazy golden yellow with a white head. Aroma of yeast and faint spices. Smooth malt taste. Creamier than a typical witbier. Not overly spicy. Hints of coriander and orange peel. Little hop taste. All in all enjoyable, interesting and very drinkable. (282 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Had to rate, i wanted a true list of beers I've had. Tasty beer, but once you get into true Belgians and craft beer you probably won't drink this again. (152 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured in to a pint glass casually, there is no head or lacing whatsoever. Only a faint white ring around the collar. Very low key carbonation. The appearance is that of an opaque, bronze, spiced apple cider. Buttery banana esters are complimented by a little spice and some sour citric aromas. The taste is sweet and flavorful, with earthy spicing and a citrusy coriander that lingers well in to the finish. The aftertaste is of mild metallic mineral and grain. After a few sips, a funky yeast flavor builds on the palate and is a little offputting. The brew is mildly carbonated with medium mouthfeel and the low alcohol content helps keep the beer crisp and refreshing. If not for the borderline cloying sweetness and odd aftertaste, this would be a stellar beer. Still one of the best widely distributed American examples out there though. After all, who hasn't enjoyed a Blue Moon from time to time? It's been around for quite awhile (20 years give or take). Well before craft beer reached the fevered high that it has hit today. That said, it's stood the test of time because it's pretty good. I'm not losing my mind over this, but I give credit where credit is due. (1,172 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a 1" white sudsy head that drops slowly with some mild lacing. Color is hazy golden/orange.

Aroma: mild grassiness, coriander, and orange.

Mouthfeel: light to medium, soda like with a somewhat wet finish.

Flavor: malt breadiness, wheat grass, orange, and some coriander and other spices.

Overall: decent, no off flavors. (385 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

only good thing about this is the look which is misleading. Tastes bland and watery with just a hint of Belgian flavor. I'll stick with actual Belgians. (152 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -33.8%

Bottle from supermarket. Poured into a sraight half pint glass which produced an unapealing bubbly head. Cloudy golden straw colour. Sweet aroma with spritzer like mouthfeel which reminded me of a cheap sweet sugary white wine. Didn't taste much better and I'm afraid I couln't finish the glass ( which doesnt happen often!) Overal a very poor imaitation! (356 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

It's time I give this a proper review.

The head is between 1 and 2 fingers tall, and the body is a nice mellow pear-juice colored glow, with wheat sediment floating around. Nice look.

Smells a little superficial but mostly of orange slice, light cinnamon, clove, and coriander.

Taste is a little earthy, dirty with some grit; creamy orange and wheat swirl around. Hints of banana and hits of clove every now and again.

The mouthfeel is both smooth and gritty at the same time. Finishes clean.

Overall? I drink this often. Amazing to know Coors does this beer. A solid drinker but one of the worst Witbiers out there. (622 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I noticed only stale yeast and blandness. I don't like to give a bad review, so instead I'll will wait a few weeks and try another bottle. I've read reviews on citrus which I love in my Wits and honestly say not hint of it here. (230 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - Cloudy golden in color with a long lasting, medium thickness white head. 3.75/5

S - Heavy on the orange and citrus. A slight note of white bread. 3.25/5

T - Taste follows the nose. Nothing surprising. Good execution and straightforward. 3.5/5

M - Very smooth. Medium body. Finishes wet. 3.25/5

O - A good wheat. Nothing crazy here just straightforward flavor and typical wheat beer feel. 3.25/5 (413 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Really good session beer. I think I'm going to keep this in my house. If you haven't tried it and you like smooth beers, then give this a try. By far, Coors best offering. (172 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +16.9%

Smooth witbier, very light. I would recommend it to my daughter on her 18th birthday instead of her regular orange juice. Not very exciting but good, just like Hoegaarden or Blanche de Namur. Underrated on BA, definitely. (221 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle. Everybody knocks this one because of the Coors ownership but all in all it's not a bad beer. Is it a premium beer to be purchased at a premium price? No way. Sold for what you pay for other BMCp fine. On to the review.

Decent head atop a cloudy orangey liquid. Not much retention or lacing, but some. Smell is good though,with a healthy wheat malt twang and notes of bananas and apples. A bit of soap mixed with yeast. Taste has more of the same with good flavors of cereal grains, light sugars, and powdery yeast. Light fruits and lemony zestiness. A touch of honey. Crisp feel is a strongpoint and the lively carbonation has a light creaminess. Great drinkability tries to compensate for the lack of depth flavor wise. There's taste here and it's far more that the BMC partners usual offerings but its shallowness belies its parentage. Still ill drink it and enjoy it for what it is. Decent and quaffable. (928 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Cloudy; orangish-yellow; frothy medium white head

Smell: hints of the orange peel and coriander as on the label

Taste: juicy malt with subdued hop bitterness; finishes slightly sweet; nothing special, but pretty drinkable

Mouthfeel: slightly thin with light carbonation

Remarks: good session ale for a large market beer (340 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I decided to finally rate this beer after having had Shock Top (which royally sucked), and while I certainly don't rate this brew highly, it is definitely a slight cut above the Shock Top. It's a slightly less crappy crafty version of a decent witbier. Is it a palatable option at pubs that only serve AALs? Perhaps, but just barely. I would only purchase this if there was absolutely nothing else I could stand on tap. (423 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass.

A: Hazy Light orange. Thin white head with a small ring of foam left. Visible carbonation.
S: Orange, lemongrass, a little mustiness, a hint of spice, and yeast.
T: Orange with a hint of dry spice. Wheat malt base doesn't come through as overly strong. Yeasty. Tastes like watered down orange juice.
M: Spicyness on the palate. Creamy texture. Fruity aftertaste.
O: Refreshing, but the taste is different than most beers. I'm not much into wheats, so it's not my favorite. (518 characters)

3.57/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I felt obligated to re-review this beer. After drinking several Konig Ludwig weiss and Erdinger Shneeweisse on a hot summer's day and then moving on to this beer the artifical type flavorings in this beer are a bit more palatable. (230 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

One of my favorite non-local brews. Golden in color, it has quite a nice citrus smell. Bars and restaurants tend to serve it with an orange, its taste is fine and smooth. (170 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

Pour a Blue Moon into a chilled glass and throw in a fresh slice of orange and you have a 5/5 beer.

Being someone who hates the bitterness if IPAs, beers like Blue Moon give a pleasant taste, while not too sweet as a hard cider would give. (242 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

One the one hand, I hate the fact that this is touted as a craft beer when it is, in fact, brewed by Coors. On the other, it's actually pretty darned good as witbiers go.

I've had this both bottled and on tap and really there's not much to choose between the two - it's a bit on the thin side but at the same time has the typical witbier citrus/coriander flavours. I still don't 'get' why I get offered a slice of fruit when I buy witbier - fruit has its place, but not in my beer!

It seems to be fairly ubiquitous, even in the UK, and is definitely a creditable alternative to the likes of Hoegaarden and a fairly low-risk way of getting into witbier in general.

Definitely recommended. (690 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +38.5%

Blue Moon holds a special place in the refrigerator of my heart. There is something that is very satisfying about sipping a blue moon with a squeezed orange slice floating around the rim.
This is one of the few beers that my girlfriend and I are both willing to share a pitcher of.
A rich and extremely smooth flavor that strongly hints of orange peels, backed with a faint note of hops. This beer is bright enough to enjoy on a hot summer day and rich enough for a cold winter evening.
In my opinion Blue Moon is the very best of the major brand's "craft beer" niche. The fact that Blue Moon is a main stream beer does not detract from it's obvious quality and pleasant attributes. Blue Moon is a work of fine quality and artistic craftsmanship. (746 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Uncommonly smooth finish is correct. Really good session beer. I think I'm going to keep this in my house from now on. If you haven't tried it and you like smooth beers, then give this a go. I wasn't disappointed. (213 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company