Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,556 | Hads: 6,358
4.24/5  rDev +24.7%

This is my go to domestic, bothers me that it's not considered as such in most bars. Good flavor, little after taste. Have to understand that it's a sour beer. Don't let the snobs talk you out of trying it.

2.92/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Brownish straw in color. The flavor profile is surprisingly decent and the body was reasonably hearty for the style.

Still, not something I'd recommend.

4.97/5  rDev +46.2%

Look: Very Orange-y color
Smell: orange
Taste: orange, deliciously crisp citrus flavors, light
Aftertaste: orange stays with you for a bit
Overall: I absolutely love this beer, no matter what season it just reminds me of late summer/early fall. absolutely my favorite- tastes better from the tap

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A family friend had me try one and left a six pack at the house. Ill be honest, I'm not really into heavy beers. I like a beer that will go down like water. To me, blue moon has a weird viscosity and tastes like stale cerceal. I wouldn't buy it but i'd definitely drink it if someone handed me one.

4.78/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Beer snobs will always hate that which is mass produced. Yet Blue Moon never disapoints. I've tried numerous Witbiers over the past 12 months, but I always find my way back to Blue Moon.
Good starting place for the uninitiated.

2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

Drank from the bottle, so I can't comment on the look.
Smelled of your average beer, similar to a lager, maybe a little skunky.
Tasted like an average beer, maybe slightly better, didn't taste much if any citrus flavor or spice flavor, reminded me of an average cheap beer, maybe more tolerable. Went down smooth enough. Wouldn't mind drinking this again sometime.

Average beer taste, only a little better than the cheaper brands.

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It smells and tastes like celery to me. Yes, I realize that sounds crazy, but I can't get over that when I drink it. I also personally dislike fruit added to my beer (the orange in this case).

I wasn't a fan, although I can see that others didn't mind as much. you do get some of those witbier flavors and aromas, decent feel, but falls into that category of beers I'm not going back to.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

When it comes to a Witbier style, this is one of the best everyday beers. Consistent and available everywhere. My go to beer when my only other options are the standard domestics.

4.25/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

After trying tons of both domestic and imported craft beers, this is one of my favorite go to beers at family outtings, BBQ's, if the restaurant doesn't offer a big beer selection or if I don't feel like going out of my way to find craft beers. This is the beer I can depend on when i'm running low on beers at a gathering, the local gas station or super market will always carry Bluemoon.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Color was very foggy orange-amber. Smelled much like the color, orange, and citrusy. Tasted smooth with orange, citrus, and wheat. Feel was light but bubbly. Overall not a bad beer. Better then expected. Enjoy with a orange slice on the rim.

3.86/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I like this beer in the summer. Throw in an orange with the Belgian White and you have yourself a wonderful treat. Nice white foam from the tap. Drinking out of the bottle is great too, just keep it nice and cold! Summer time is great with a Blue Moon!

4.24/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Love this beer. Very nice flavor. Perfect summer beer. I think of this as a vacation beer because it's always available wherever I happen to travel. This flavor is tied to pleasant nostalgia for me.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Well...Well...Well... Again, a beer I've been looking forward to sampling... Started off amazing... Fruity followed by a nutty aftertaste but this became an acquired taste after a few sips... We'll made beer with some strengths but not one I'd chose of Hoegaarden Witbier...

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The number one beer of choice for my in-laws. Dark orange color, white head. Smell is spice, yeast. Coriander. Slight citrus, very subtle. Taste is clean, smooth. Spicy coriander, subtle orange peel, yeasty. Lower side of carbonation. Almost creamy. I like blue moon a lot especially after a couple cheaper beers like PBR. Forget who makes it if hat turns you away. This is a great beer. If it was a little cheaper in my area instead of almost $12 for a sixer, and well over $30 for a case, it would be an every day beer for me. Very enjoyable.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a BarrelHouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours slightly hazy golden straw with a fizzy off white head that disappears quickly.

S: Fruity, light citrus, a hint of spice, and malt sweetness.

T: Fruity, apple, light citrus, coriander spice, a little corn, and malt sweetness.

M: Light body, moderate carbonation. Pretty drinkable.

O: Not bad. With a slice of orange it would make a pretty refreshing summer brew.

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I used to drink this a lot before I got into craft. I had it on a whim for ole times sake. Truly not bad for a macro. It is refreshing and I would not turn it down on a hot summer day. However, it's attempt at orange fruitiness, although somewhat tasty, nevertheless has too much of an orange soda flavor to it. Like I said, I would not turn it down, but with all the other great brews I have yet to try, I will not seek this one out.

3.73/5  rDev +9.7%

A light beer with some citrus flavors in it. Was served to me with an orange slice, which complimented it nicely. Not the greatest beer I've had, but it was an enjoyable experience.

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm wondering why is the score of this beer so low.
It's a really good witbier, of an opaque ocher/orange color and a nice creamy foam.
Has strong papaya tones in the head, with some bananas and spices. When the foam turns into a lace, the smell gets more into the orange, oat and coriandes tones - all ingredients of this beer.
Taste is buttery and has a lot of oats in the end.
Nice body and carbonation, bitterness should be higher in my opinion.

4.37/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great wheat style beer. Mouthfeel is on the thicker side. Has typical cloudy golden look for the style. Good balance between hops malt and wheat. Hard to drink only one

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: [4.00] Hazy straw colored brew. Forms a small head of dense white bubbles. The head is gone quickly leaving a thin white layer on top. The bottle has a best by date of (May 11, 2015). The bottle also lists the ABV (5.4%).

S: [2.75] I am only getting a hint of a sweet corn smell. I may have to wait for it to warm - but on a fresh pour there is very little aroma.

T: [3.25] Some apple juice flavors and then sweet corn. It has a mild taste.

M: [3.50] Low carbonation and the feel is less watery than I expected.

O: [3.25] Full disclosure - I thought I had this a long time ago and didn't like it - so I have always avoided it. That being said, I was wrong. This is a decent beer. Nothing spectacular - but I don't actively dislike it. The flavors are muted and come across as a sweet corn taste. I thought there was Belgian yeast or wheat flavor but I am getting none of that. I owe Blue Moon and apology. Sorry. (There I said it).

3.74/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was my first "craft" (non-lite pilsner) beer and I've had over a hundred of these but have just now gotten around to reviewing it.

A - Super cloudy golden. Full white head that doesn't subside quickly. Strong lacing until the last drink. Just like a Belgian white should look like

S - Initially sweet grainy character with some fruity, tart esters from the Belgian Wit yeast. No alcohol or hops but smells good and unoffensive.

T - Flavor is similar to the smell but the lightly-tart orange fruit character blends nicely with the sweet bready, grainy character of the wheat. There is some of the typical Belgian spice character but it is very muted compared to some of the Belgian beers I've tasted in the past.

M - Light mouth-feel. Moderate carbonation. This is really a great summer beer. Light, with some flavor, and just a touch of sweetness.

Overall, this is a great summer brew when it's too hot for a heavier beer. I have enjoyed this beer time and time again with friends and fun as I'm sure all have at one point. If your friends are still craft beer virgins then this is a baby crawl into the field that lies to greatness. If it wasn't for Blue Moon I'm not sure I would have tried so many amazing beers at this point in my career.

Glass- Stein with an orange slice

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Love it on tap, bottled just OK. Feel as long as they serve it with an orange slice I can call it healthy. I think one of the better citrus flavored beers.

4.31/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: Clear yellow, not filtered. Nice white foam head.
S: Smells very citrusy, I served with a slice of sour orange on the edge of the glass.
T: Citrus notes: orange and coriander, very refreshing and easy to drink beer.
F: Medium body, medium carbonation.
O: I really like this witbier in the summer, always with the orange slice.

3.64/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had a glass of this one for the first time in months when eating at a favorite local place with family. Best-by date of April 2015 on the bottle; poured into a cold (but not frosted) mug the restaurant provided. No orange wedge here!

Light orangey color, not much head at all (especially if you pour slowly.) More of a cloudy/hazy look to it than most beers I've had.

Smell is... well, honestly I barely noticed it this time around, even when I took a bit of a sniff. Maybe a faint grain/bread sort of thing, but I think the smells of food must have just completely overwhelmed the smell of the beer. I do remember it having a bit of a slightly unpleasant funky smell to it when I've had it before, though this glass in particular had no noticeable funkiness was leaning more toward "not much smell at all."

Taste is... actually really nice. Orangey, bready, a bit of some spice I can't immediately identify coming in occasionally... both flavorful and very refreshing, and no real clashes with my food either. A whole lot better than I remember it being the last time I had it, actually--the orange peel and spice stood out *much* more in this glass compared to what I've had before; I actually don't remember picking up any "orangeyness" at all the last time I had a Blue Moon.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by my revisit to one of the first beers I ever tried and liked. I was fully expecting the "not quite as good as I remembered" experience so many people mention having upon making a return visit to one of their first beers, but ended up with the exact opposite. I have to wonder if the people who bash on this beer are really just bashing on the company that makes it rather than any actual negative qualities of the beer itself... or maybe others in the style are just *that* much better that people start to mistake "less good than this other really amazing thing" with "not good at all," as people tend to do? I'll have to try some of the others and see, I suppose.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company