Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,541 | Hads: 6,238
3.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a BarrelHouse Brewing Co pint glass

A: Pours slightly hazy golden straw with a fizzy off white head that disappears quickly.

S: Fruity, light citrus, a hint of spice, and malt sweetness.

T: Fruity, apple, light citrus, coriander spice, a little corn, and malt sweetness.

M: Light body, moderate carbonation. Pretty drinkable.

O: Not bad. With a slice of orange it would make a pretty refreshing summer brew. (431 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I used to drink this a lot before I got into craft. I had it on a whim for ole times sake. Truly not bad for a macro. It is refreshing and I would not turn it down on a hot summer day. However, it's attempt at orange fruitiness, although somewhat tasty, nevertheless has too much of an orange soda flavor to it. Like I said, I would not turn it down, but with all the other great brews I have yet to try, I will not seek this one out. (434 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +8.7%

A light beer with some citrus flavors in it. Was served to me with an orange slice, which complimented it nicely. Not the greatest beer I've had, but it was an enjoyable experience. (183 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm wondering why is the score of this beer so low.
It's a really good witbier, of an opaque ocher/orange color and a nice creamy foam.
Has strong papaya tones in the head, with some bananas and spices. When the foam turns into a lace, the smell gets more into the orange, oat and coriandes tones - all ingredients of this beer.
Taste is buttery and has a lot of oats in the end.
Nice body and carbonation, bitterness should be higher in my opinion. (449 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great wheat style beer. Mouthfeel is on the thicker side. Has typical cloudy golden look for the style. Good balance between hops malt and wheat. Hard to drink only one (168 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: [4.00] Hazy straw colored brew. Forms a small head of dense white bubbles. The head is gone quickly leaving a thin white layer on top. The bottle has a best by date of (May 11, 2015). The bottle also lists the ABV (5.4%).

S: [2.75] I am only getting a hint of a sweet corn smell. I may have to wait for it to warm - but on a fresh pour there is very little aroma.

T: [3.25] Some apple juice flavors and then sweet corn. It has a mild taste.

M: [3.50] Low carbonation and the feel is less watery than I expected.

O: [3.25] Full disclosure - I thought I had this a long time ago and didn't like it - so I have always avoided it. That being said, I was wrong. This is a decent beer. Nothing spectacular - but I don't actively dislike it. The flavors are muted and come across as a sweet corn taste. I thought there was Belgian yeast or wheat flavor but I am getting none of that. I owe Blue Moon and apology. Sorry. (There I said it). (953 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was my first "craft" (non-lite pilsner) beer and I've had over a hundred of these but have just now gotten around to reviewing it.

A - Super cloudy golden. Full white head that doesn't subside quickly. Strong lacing until the last drink. Just like a Belgian white should look like

S - Initially sweet grainy character with some fruity, tart esters from the Belgian Wit yeast. No alcohol or hops but smells good and unoffensive.

T - Flavor is similar to the smell but the lightly-tart orange fruit character blends nicely with the sweet bready, grainy character of the wheat. There is some of the typical Belgian spice character but it is very muted compared to some of the Belgian beers I've tasted in the past.

M - Light mouth-feel. Moderate carbonation. This is really a great summer beer. Light, with some flavor, and just a touch of sweetness.

Overall, this is a great summer brew when it's too hot for a heavier beer. I have enjoyed this beer time and time again with friends and fun as I'm sure all have at one point. If your friends are still craft beer virgins then this is a baby crawl into the field that lies to greatness. If it wasn't for Blue Moon I'm not sure I would have tried so many amazing beers at this point in my career.

Glass- Stein with an orange slice (1,288 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +19.5%

Love it on tap, bottled just OK. Feel as long as they serve it with an orange slice I can call it healthy. I think one of the better citrus flavored beers. (155 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: Clear yellow, not filtered. Nice white foam head.
S: Smells very citrusy, I served with a slice of sour orange on the edge of the glass.
T: Citrus notes: orange and coriander, very refreshing and easy to drink beer.
F: Medium body, medium carbonation.
O: I really like this witbier in the summer, always with the orange slice. (331 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Had a glass of this one for the first time in months when eating at a favorite local place with family. Best-by date of April 2015 on the bottle; poured into a cold (but not frosted) mug the restaurant provided. No orange wedge here!

Light orangey color, not much head at all (especially if you pour slowly.) More of a cloudy/hazy look to it than most beers I've had.

Smell is... well, honestly I barely noticed it this time around, even when I took a bit of a sniff. Maybe a faint grain/bread sort of thing, but I think the smells of food must have just completely overwhelmed the smell of the beer. I do remember it having a bit of a slightly unpleasant funky smell to it when I've had it before, though this glass in particular had no noticeable funkiness was leaning more toward "not much smell at all."

Taste is... actually really nice. Orangey, bready, a bit of some spice I can't immediately identify coming in occasionally... both flavorful and very refreshing, and no real clashes with my food either. A whole lot better than I remember it being the last time I had it, actually--the orange peel and spice stood out *much* more in this glass compared to what I've had before; I actually don't remember picking up any "orangeyness" at all the last time I had a Blue Moon.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised by my revisit to one of the first beers I ever tried and liked. I was fully expecting the "not quite as good as I remembered" experience so many people mention having upon making a return visit to one of their first beers, but ended up with the exact opposite. I have to wonder if the people who bash on this beer are really just bashing on the company that makes it rather than any actual negative qualities of the beer itself... or maybe others in the style are just *that* much better that people start to mistake "less good than this other really amazing thing" with "not good at all," as people tend to do? I'll have to try some of the others and see, I suppose. (1,996 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -1.7%

This is a good beer, however I do not see what all the fuss is about there are cheaper and better wheat beers out there. Have paid 5 GBP for a pint of this, which is quite frankly ridiculous. (191 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Review based on Orange slice added. Perfect refreshing summer beer. Fruity but not too hoppy to my disspointment. Certianly my favourite wheat beer and one of my go to's. (170 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle from BevMo. Pours a hazy golden yellow with a white head. Aroma of yeast and faint spices. Smooth malt taste. Creamier than a typical witbier. Not overly spicy. Hints of coriander and orange peel. Little hop taste. All in all enjoyable, interesting and very drinkable. (282 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Had to rate, i wanted a true list of beers I've had. Tasty beer, but once you get into true Belgians and craft beer you probably won't drink this again. (152 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured in to a pint glass casually, there is no head or lacing whatsoever. Only a faint white ring around the collar. Very low key carbonation. The appearance is that of an opaque, bronze, spiced apple cider. Buttery banana esters are complimented by a little spice and some sour citric aromas. The taste is sweet and flavorful, with earthy spicing and a citrusy coriander that lingers well in to the finish. The aftertaste is of mild metallic mineral and grain. After a few sips, a funky yeast flavor builds on the palate and is a little offputting. The brew is mildly carbonated with medium mouthfeel and the low alcohol content helps keep the beer crisp and refreshing. If not for the borderline cloying sweetness and odd aftertaste, this would be a stellar beer. Still one of the best widely distributed American examples out there though. After all, who hasn't enjoyed a Blue Moon from time to time? It's been around for quite awhile (20 years give or take). Well before craft beer reached the fevered high that it has hit today. That said, it's stood the test of time because it's pretty good. I'm not losing my mind over this, but I give credit where credit is due. (1,172 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a 1" white sudsy head that drops slowly with some mild lacing. Color is hazy golden/orange.

Aroma: mild grassiness, coriander, and orange.

Mouthfeel: light to medium, soda like with a somewhat wet finish.

Flavor: malt breadiness, wheat grass, orange, and some coriander and other spices.

Overall: decent, no off flavors. (385 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

only good thing about this is the look which is misleading. Tastes bland and watery with just a hint of Belgian flavor. I'll stick with actual Belgians. (152 characters)

2.27/5  rDev -33.8%

Bottle from supermarket. Poured into a sraight half pint glass which produced an unapealing bubbly head. Cloudy golden straw colour. Sweet aroma with spritzer like mouthfeel which reminded me of a cheap sweet sugary white wine. Didn't taste much better and I'm afraid I couln't finish the glass ( which doesnt happen often!) Overal a very poor imaitation! (356 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

It's time I give this a proper review.

The head is between 1 and 2 fingers tall, and the body is a nice mellow pear-juice colored glow, with wheat sediment floating around. Nice look.

Smells a little superficial but mostly of orange slice, light cinnamon, clove, and coriander.

Taste is a little earthy, dirty with some grit; creamy orange and wheat swirl around. Hints of banana and hits of clove every now and again.

The mouthfeel is both smooth and gritty at the same time. Finishes clean.

Overall? I drink this often. Amazing to know Coors does this beer. A solid drinker but one of the worst Witbiers out there. (622 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I noticed only stale yeast and blandness. I don't like to give a bad review, so instead I'll will wait a few weeks and try another bottle. I've read reviews on citrus which I love in my Wits and honestly say not hint of it here. (230 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A - Cloudy golden in color with a long lasting, medium thickness white head. 3.75/5

S - Heavy on the orange and citrus. A slight note of white bread. 3.25/5

T - Taste follows the nose. Nothing surprising. Good execution and straightforward. 3.5/5

M - Very smooth. Medium body. Finishes wet. 3.25/5

O - A good wheat. Nothing crazy here just straightforward flavor and typical wheat beer feel. 3.25/5 (413 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Really good session beer. I think I'm going to keep this in my house. If you haven't tried it and you like smooth beers, then give this a try. By far, Coors best offering. (172 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +16.9%

Smooth witbier, very light. I would recommend it to my daughter on her 18th birthday instead of her regular orange juice. Not very exciting but good, just like Hoegaarden or Blanche de Namur. Underrated on BA, definitely. (221 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle. Everybody knocks this one because of the Coors ownership but all in all it's not a bad beer. Is it a premium beer to be purchased at a premium price? No way. Sold for what you pay for other BMCp fine. On to the review.

Decent head atop a cloudy orangey liquid. Not much retention or lacing, but some. Smell is good though,with a healthy wheat malt twang and notes of bananas and apples. A bit of soap mixed with yeast. Taste has more of the same with good flavors of cereal grains, light sugars, and powdery yeast. Light fruits and lemony zestiness. A touch of honey. Crisp feel is a strongpoint and the lively carbonation has a light creaminess. Great drinkability tries to compensate for the lack of depth flavor wise. There's taste here and it's far more that the BMC partners usual offerings but its shallowness belies its parentage. Still ill drink it and enjoy it for what it is. Decent and quaffable. (928 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Cloudy; orangish-yellow; frothy medium white head

Smell: hints of the orange peel and coriander as on the label

Taste: juicy malt with subdued hop bitterness; finishes slightly sweet; nothing special, but pretty drinkable

Mouthfeel: slightly thin with light carbonation

Remarks: good session ale for a large market beer (340 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company