Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros

Wow. Where to start in my panning of this beer. I guess in a sentence I would say that this is 1) not a witbier in any sense of the word, and 2) tastes so bad that it's offensive and insulting. There is zero taste, zero spiciness, and no trace of "coriander and orange peel" whatsoever. Instead, I get a salty gulp of swill with a greasy, slick mouthfeel. Couldn't even finish the beer! Awful. If I could give this 0.5 out of 5.0, I would.

3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

I would consider this beer to be one of Coors' better products, although it really isn't close to an actual Belgian White. It has a hazy, yellowish color and has a fruity aroma, characterized mostly by orange. The taste is also dominated by orange, which makes it somewhat sweet. This beer is very easy to drink and very crisp. I usually turn to Blue Moon when looking for a decent macro beer in bottles.

3.4/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The appearance is cloudy gold/white with an typical head for the style. The aroma is citrusy/lemony, with wheat, yeast, and spice. The taste is like the aroma. The palate is thin but OK for the style. For a macro I really like this beer. It has a touch of macro twang but not too much.

3.8/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

This was my standard beer during the summer of 2008.

Always poured into pint glass with orange slice accompanying

a: light sraw color, slightly hazy with a foamy head that quickly reduced, very little lacing

s: hints of corriander and orange peel

t: sweet taste with hints of orange, very little hop flavor

m&d: very light mouthfeel helped by slight carbonation. This is an extremely drinkable beer. I know it is produced my a Macro Brewery, but this is a refreshing beer. Defenitaly recomend.

4.13/5  rDev +21.8%

Had this beer before, but never paid much attention to what was going on.

Poured an enourmous white head. Straw-colored, cloudy.

The bottle suggests orange peel and coriander as ingredients. The coriander is obvious in the nose, but you have to search for the orange peel. Eventually, your nose will find it.

No lacing, but very smooth mouthfeel. No bitter aftertaste, just the taste of sweet wheat.

Very easy drinking.

***This just in, had this beer the other night at a pizza joint. They included a slice of orange with the glass and that simple slice brought out and tied all the flavors together...with the orange, I'd raise the taste category to a 4.5.

3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

OK, this is my first review. I am 34 and only began truly drinking beer last weekend (never liked beer, drank liquor) . My buddy (beer geek) came into town and I pointed out that after all these years of taking shots with him, I want to drink a beer. He was floored and began with suggestions. Allagash white was first and I actually liked it. I tried a few others and learned that I like wheat beers. He pointed out that this is a great style beer to start with and branch out from there. After he left I got online and found beer advocate website. I began studying and decided to start with the beer (Blue Moon Belgian White) that my wife and I bought for his visit (assumed this one good because always see people drinking it...he only had one).

12 oz bottle

A-orange to yellow, mostly yellow pours to half inch head and quickly dissipated into hardly any halo, cloudy with nice carbonation

S- Clean, fresh citrusy sweet smell

T - Not able to pick up on other flavors yet but did notice a toasty/nutty taste on out breath (not sure what this is...no one else said this but it is really tasty)

MF - not sure yet...not enough beers to know mouth feel

D - very good, would actually buy this beer and drink 6 pack at a social gathering. It is refreshing and does not have bad aftertaste.

One of the better macro produced craft beer. Certainly not in the top tier of wits but it is a nice drinker and relatively close to style.

This beer has a strong "orange" element in the taste and aroma...I'm drinking this from a bottle but it is even stronger on tap...a little orange peel but more just plain oranges.

It is a little sweeter than most in this style but that never seems to hamper its drinkability for me.

Bottom line...a quality craft brew from an American macro brewer that is enjoyable but not quite at the same level as the top beers in this style. I would strongly recommend this to someone that is a macro drinker but is starting to show more curiosity towards craft beer.

3.05/5  rDev -10%

ehhhh

had it on tap,

Looks like a budlight with body, pours with decent head

the smell is not bad, light and crisp

the taste is decent, didn't use the orange it was served with

mouthfeel is crisp, and light

its almost drinkable, light but not outstanding, absolutely nothing about this beer stands out.

3.8/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a nice amber orange color with a decent one and a half finger head that quickly fades to nothing more than a ring. The color of the brew is very cloudy.

Smell: The smell is that of a good mix of malt and hoppy bitterness, accompanied by an orange citrus smell.

Taste: Hoppy bitterness that was in the smell has now receded and is overwhelmed by both the malt and orange citrus. There is noticeable bread on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin to medium bodied.

This could be a decent session beer. There is nothing, however, to excite the palate in the way I would want. It's an enjoyable brew but leaves much to desire.

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

Damn good beer, although a tad pricey for my budget, but once in awhile I will indulge.

Smells like a spice cabinet, tastes along those same lines as well. Strong wheat flavor along with the spice and zest of a home cooked meal. Not too much hoppiness, overall almost a sweet flavor.

Goes very smooth down your throat and leaves a rich nutty aftertaste. Mild carbonation, does not distract from the taste. One of my new favorite beers.

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's not the worst beer in the world, just below average. It's actually on par for a witbier as far a meeting the style. I'm not a fan though and the macro beer drinkers seem to like this beer for the fact that it's served with an orange, like Corona.

appearance: Deep cloudy texture

smell: floral and citrus

taste: citrisy and blank

mouthfeel: watery and heavy

drinkability: It's heavy and I can't seem to drink very many

3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

On-tap and bottles.

Pours a pale cloudy orange with a creamy head, hints of citrus, floral, orange, wheat, and yeast.

Smooth, although I would not say creamy. Sweet and citrus, you can taste the wheat and yeast (in a good way). Crisp and refreshing, usually served with an orange slice. Some cinnamon in there. Very drinkable. This beer gets a bad rap, probably because it is corporate, but I like it. I do get annoyed when it is listed as a more expensive "import" on menus. It is not a beer to study, but it is something you can order at most places when out with friends and enjoy, without requiring a boat from belgium and a glass most people will give funny looks too. At many restaurants/bars it is (sadly) the best option.

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%

I dislike Coors products but was pleased with this one. Easy drinkablity, better with a slice of orange, which isn't available in all bars. (lemon is an adequate substitute in such circumstances) Goes well with pizza or a burger (as long as it's not a veggie) has recently been made available as a longneck (24oz bottle) in case you don't want to invest in a 6pk or can buy it individually or sample it at your local bar. Not as good as true Belgian beers but for the price, better than expected.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours the usual cloudy goodness. The smell is quite good on this one. Very citrusy with some coriander coming through. Tastes is good as well. Good carbonation and great citrus taste,but not so much that it makes it undrinkable.

A really nice brew. Even though this a Coors brew, it is quite nice. A nice brew to serve at the summer picnics. Introduce some of your family and friends to craft brews with this one. It is easy to drink and very refreshing.

Blue Moon Belgian White poured a lovely orange with nice clouding and a 1-inch fluffy white head (into American pint glass). The nose was a very clean grapefruit and grass aroma. The taste was great and very refreshing (citrus like, yet not like a soda). All in all a really good ale.

Cheers!

2.8/5  rDev -17.4%

Brother and sister-in-law brought a case of this on a recent visit. I'm sure i had this once or twice way in my beer drinking past but I don't remember anything about it. I'll give one a shot just to do the review.

Cloudy pale yellow color that is spot on for the style. Head drops to a halo cap before you can even appreciate it.

Smells like water!!! I have to try hard to get a whiff of anything. Some faint clean wheat grainyness if I really strain. Touch of citrus, no yeast, not enough of anything to grab on to.

Taste dosn't give me much more than the smell. Clean and crisp is the best I can give it. Nothing off or offensive but nothing to remember either.

Mouth is on the thin side.

Overall this is average at best. The only reason I didn't give it lower scores is that there are no off flavors or smells so I assume this is what Coors was shooting for. I see why it might appeal to some but in my opinion, why bother.

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%

Drink by date - Nov 30 2008, a month and a half away. Served into my Sam Adams Boston Lager branded wheat beer style glass.

A - The first thing I noticed was some floaties... no warning about any form of bottle conditioning (nor would I expect it from Coors). There appears to have been some kind of settling in the bottle and I may have stirred it up, gross-looking nonetheless. Aside from that it produced a white-tan head, gold body, and zero carbonation.

S - Wheat, citrus and some sweet cinnamon.

T - Citrus right from the go, as expected. Bread on the middle and a tangy citrus finish and aftertaste.

M - medium bodied thickness, carbs up in my mouth and sticks on the palate a bit.

D - If it weren't for the visual presentation of this, I could have this as my regular wheat ale. Visual detracts from it greatly.

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a cloudy yellow/orange with a small white head that dissipated rather quickly. Decent lacing.

Aroma of wheat, citrus and coriander.

Taste is rather sweet with citrus, spices, wheat and yeast.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and cleansing.

Overall, a decent beer that is quite drinkable. Not an exceptional Wit, but good choice if can't find the Belgian alternatives.

4.33/5  rDev +27.7%

WONT LEAVE YOU BLUE

Appearance: This beer pours an orange-yellow color, thick and impossible to see through. Has a very nice three finger head which is very foamy and lasts a long time. As it slowly dissipated, it left some very nice lacing in its wake.

Smell: Has a scent of citrus (espeically orange), malt, and some breadiness, almost like a sourdough undertone. Good sweet and sour mix in the aroma.

Taste: Sweet, with very little bitterness, definately can taste the citrus in there. Spices are slight, and it's just enough for this beer. Quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Malty and frothy. In the mouth it has a milky consistancy to it, and it's not unpleasant. Leaves a bittersweet taste on the palate, with orange and other citrus flavors still abundant.

Drinkability: This is a very refreshing ale that I will definately buy again. This is ideal for a hot summer day, perhaps while on a picnic or after working in the yard. I highly recommend this to anyone into this style of beer.

4.1/5  rDev +20.9%

poured into a chilled mug!

A--> a light, sunny color. it had a surprisingly large head! which boosted my confidence with mimicking a belgian style beer. not much lace.
S--> almost all a yeasty citris with coriander.
T--> MILKY, silky smooth!!! citris becomes better defined by orange/aprocot with still that coriander.
MF--> it is a very slippery and creamy beer. a very nice wheat
D--> I was pretty impressed with how slick this beer was and it is now one of my top 10 beer as a "chaser" beer after having a beer dark as oil! :-) Could be a little on the "weak" side...but wheat beers have that presence anyway and it serves well for its domain. :-) One thing for sure....this is the ONLY beer worth drinking from Coors!

4.68/5  rDev +38.1%

Beer tasting at the Shack.

However, a story comes with this tasting. This August, I judged beer at an event (California Brewers Festival) where master beer judges gave this beer BEST IN SHOW. I couldn't believe it. A fricking Coors beer!?! Inconceivable. I was seething with anger. I had pictures of the final judges on my dart board.

So with an open mind, I tried this beer. Only before I tried it, the owner of The Shack informed me it was reformulated to actually resemble a real Belgian beer. Not only that, it came with the brewfest labelling (clean bottle with paper and rubber band) as I spotted a judge in attendance.

A - Hazy yellow, with heaps of foam, that took its darn time to subside.

S - Lots of coriander and clove. Some malt backing with hints of orange. Also quite a bit of orangy esters from the yeast. Could be they overpitched, but it made the beer smell better.

T - Wafts of coriander and orange immediately cling to the taste buds with hints of hop earthiness and a mellow clove finish.

M - I am not sure this is a Coors product. I had a Dunkelweizen from a Miller offshoot that was excellent, so this shouldn't come as too much of a shock. Very well balanced.

D - Give me a hammock and a six-pack. Beer judges: This one was worthy of the final table, am sorry for doubting you. Their reformulation: awesome. Seriously. Puts Allagash White and others in their place.

4.2/5  rDev +23.9%

This is definetly one of my favorite beers. Served with an orange, it's a pretty cloudy but citrus-y in flavor as most people know or would assume. Very drinkable, very pleasantly unique taste. Far and away the best idea Coors has ever had. I would recommend it to anyone but if someone is used to a light beer, the 5.4% ABV may throw you off at first.

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours a cloudy, pale golden-orange color with thick head which leaves a slight, soapy layer of lace on the glass.
Smells of orange rind, corriander and yeast.
The notes to the nose are reflected in the flavor as well, with the yeast and citric acid leaving a puckering, dry mouthfeel. A bit thin and not as complex as it could be, but a nicely balanced beer nonetheless.
Goes down smoothly, and easy to see why this is so popular in the US.

3.28/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a cloudy yellowish golden color.

Smells mostly of sweetness, had to search for a citrus smell.

First thing that hits the palate is a citrus sweetness followed by a bit of spice and a little malt to balance it out.

Mouthfeel is creamy with a good amount of carbonation.

Very drinkable, could finish off the six pack very easily.

Not that good of an example of the style, but it does show some of the characteristics of the style and is better than anything else brewed by Coors.

3.38/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Pours a cloudy and orange/golden color. A small head gently rises to about two fingers. Very light lace is left behind.
S: Malty and lots of yeast. Some orange and lemon peal with a hint of coriander. A grainy, cereal, and metallic aroma.
T: Heavy on the orange and lemon zest. Some spice and coriander. A light cereal character as well.
M/D: A medium body, but way over carbonated for my tastes. This is an easy to drink wheat though. Something I have made a session of from time to time.

For a macro imitating a micro, this is not a bad beer at all. Something I fall back on often when the picking is not up to snuff.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company