Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

A - A slightly cloudy yellow with shades toward brown. A 1.5 finger head. Not a shred of lacing.

S - Fruity yeast and very mild citrus. Apricots and white peach with lemon on the backing.

T - Gumball. A bit of light apricots and peaches. Light lemony citrus in the aftertaste.

M - A tad harsh, medium bodied and refreshing.

D - Pretty good. A lot of people love this beer and I see why. It is mild and refreshing, not a lot of character, but what it does have isn't bad at all.

mrasskicktastic, Dec 06, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -20.9%

The first thing I thought when drinking this beer is "wow, this tastes like soap!" I know that is a strange thing to think, but honestly, it has a soapy taste to it.

The smell was dominated by the orange the server put into the glass (without asking), but it did not smell offensive at all.

As I said above, the taste was bland, and soapy, not much going on. It is a very fizzy beer as well.

I personally cannot drink this beer. It may be good for some, but not for me. Though I give this beer a low score, I still think that you should try it for yourself, as I know many people who actually enjoy this beer.

Also, try other beers actually from Belgium so you can see what they are trying to emulate. Then you may see why I do not like this beer much.

jeffaz02t, Dec 05, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +10%

I first tried this several years ago and I was sitting there wondering if it were a real Belgian when John at Horace & Sylvias told me Coors brewed this! This is now trendy and wildy popular among my macro loving friends. That alone made me more wary of this brew. It pours a cloudy yellow color with an enormous head that fizzles down to a white ring. The aromas are very light but whats barely there is typical of Belgian Wits. Light spice, clove, anise, and some citrus in here. The taste really isnt bad and I think its drinkabilty is fairly high. But its definitely not great when compared to other Witbiers. Overall its a decent offering but not something I seek out. I do want to try their pumpkin and winter ales, which I've heard are much better.

lehows, Nov 30, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +8.6%

On tap at a local pizza joint. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours like a wheat, with a large 3-4" head. Settles into just a coating of white foam. Beer is a very cloudy, orange-yellow.

Smell: Strange as this may be, I couldn't really pick out any smell to this beer. Maybe it was the bar, maybe it was the temperature, but it seemed like there was no odre associated with this beer.

Taste: Fruity without being sweet. Oranges, honey, and melons with a slight sour aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Average level of carbonation; good after going from the tap to the pitcher and from the pitcher to the glass.

Drinkability: Nice and easy to drink. Maybe a little too strongly spiced with respect to most wits, but a good try nevertheless.

beveritt, Nov 30, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -2.7%

The color is similar to a hazy honey. The appearance is a little dark and there is minimal head, otherwise spot on. Swirling does produce about a centimeters worth of course bubbles which soon disappears leaving a less carbonated beer.

The initial aromas from the bottle are tart and lemony with a bread like character. These aromas are also present in the glass as well. Swirling draws out a spritzy, sour smell.

The taste starts out light with an immediate low dose of bitterness. Not like hops though, maybe spices, yeast or even wheat. A little hint of alcohol after a few sips. The body of the flavor is similar with more grapefruit dominance. The finish is slighlty spicy with a mealy sensation.

The mouthfeel is soft and velvety. The beer does not tast or feel crisp. The mouthfeel is creamy and watery at the same time with a mealy finish.

This beer is moderately drinkable. I don't think three or four would be a problem but it might get boring or "bleh" flavored. I definately prefer it over 95% of the other beers on the shelf though. Makes a great light beer for the winter with a semi high abv of 5.4%. I like the spice and wheat combination against the tart wit yeast.

urokosaki, Nov 28, 2006
2.2/5  rDev -35.1%

Finally tried this beer that a couple of my aquaintances order regularly. Not again. Unique, cloudy, glowing hue (maybe not unique...I'm not sure, this is my first witbier) which begins promising, does not ultimately deliver. Very sweet, orange-juice sort of flavored malt; just a little flat with a hard-to-put-my-finger-on-it taste I ultimately pegged as piña colada. Full mouthfeel (though still flat) makes way for a gentle rise of vapors at the finish I would expect more after downing a shot of liquor. Kind of a *blech* finish to it all. I really didn't enjoy this beer all that much at all.

hylton44, Nov 27, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +15.9%

A nice, orange gold color with a decent white head with good retention. A malty, bitter smell. A malty taste with a citrus aftertaste associated with a witbier. An ok mouthfeel although I was hoping for slightly thicker. Pretty good, drinkable beer; good if you are in the mood for a sweeter beer.

maddogruss, Nov 26, 2006
3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

A - Cloudy orange brew with a nice fluffy white head.

S - Not a very strong scent, but pleasant and sweeter smelling than most other wits I've tried.

T - Smoother and more malted than most other brews of this style, maybe it's meant to be more palatable for the American public. Sweet and highly spiced with coriander and nutmeg...very pleasant and mellow.

M - Medium bodied, slightly chewy, and uncharacteristically smooth for a whit.

D - Very drinkable. Cheap, easy to find (I picked up a sixer of this at a gas station on the way to my buddy's house after work), mellow, and smooth.

pmcadamis, Nov 25, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +27.7%

First time I had it, I really thought it was Belgian beer, only to find out it is Coors. Be that as it may, I find this beer has nothing in common with that useless waste of brewing. This beer is good, if not very good. I started having these just as starters (you know good beer first). As I had more of these I found that I can have these all night long and enjoy them with every sip; first or last. No extremely filled up feeling after several that you would get with a traditional European wheat.

It looks good in the glass and I find this beer very drinkable and if it is on tap, I will definitly get one.

Many people/bartenders serve the beer with an orange slice. Hold up your hand and declare: "no fruit!". Forget the fruit, unless you are into that kind of thing. Eeeww-yuch. Good beer does not need fruit and such things floating around in it. Just a good head in a nice glass and some great friends make this a very good beer.

Heritage02Rider, Nov 21, 2006

Everytime I drink this beer it tastes a little better. I originally scored this very poorly, then the next day, I gave it another try and raised it a notch. Now, months later, it's not bad and i'll even order it occassionally, the wheat beers are growing on me some....

beeroclock, Nov 17, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

I got this on tape at a Gino's East Pizza. It poured a cloudy orange yellow, with a nice white head. It had a malty citrus smell to it, and a nice matching taste. It wasn't what I expected from a Coor's product, or from a wheat bear. The bartended put a slice of orange in it, and it augmented the citrus flavor. There was good carbonation, and was quite drinkable. I might get a 6 to try with a friend, and I would order it on tap again.

SchaefMan, Nov 16, 2006
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy dark lemon with a substantial head, minimal lacing. Eighth inch head remains throughout. Smell is malt, slightly grassy. Taste is not as wheaty as I expected...some fruit notes...a tad hint of metallic notes and medicinal quality. Mouthfeel is creamy. Drinkability is ok...metal and medicinal notes are distracting.

edchicma, Nov 12, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz bottle into mug.

Cloudy orange-yellow hue with a bright white one inch head which quickly settles to a thin cap. Stringy lacing along the glass.

Grainy malt aromas with a lemony citrus twang and hints of spices.

Light grain flavor along with a lightly acidic fruit flavor. The finish has a bit of a sticky husky feel that is slightly unpleasant. The taste is a bit watery compared to other witbiers. Bits of hop bitterness in the back of the tongue.

Basically Coor's attempt into the craft world. This beer isn't too bad, but it seems to lack a little bit. Try it, but don't expect too much.

BeerSox, Nov 11, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pale brown in color with a tint of orange and turbid. Average sized head with little lacing.

S: Slight wheat and yeast aromas with some orange zest.

T: Enjoyable and decently long on the palate. Malty and sweet with almost a crisp finish.

M: Great! Medium mouthfeel with the perfect amount of carbonation.

D: Keep them coming.

I fiirst sampled this at the Coors Brewery in Golden and I continue to pick up some from time to time. This is a good choice for a casual evening of drinking.

HurricaneMo, Nov 10, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +13%

Had this beer on tap at Houlihan's. It pours a cloudy light orange with a small white head that doesn't stick around long. The aroma is of citrus; oranges and lemons. It's is not too strong, but pleasant nonetheless.

This is just an easy drinking beer. The taste is of the same citrus and floral hops as in the smell. Orange comes through mostly, as does a grasyy taste. There is a bitter bite to the finish. Mouthfeel is carbonated and thin, but not awful.

This is just a nice and simple beer. It's quite drinkable, and doesn't try to do to much. A good warm weather diversion, and probably the best beer from a "macro" brewery I've had.

BBM, Nov 04, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into my pilsener glass. Had a thick head with a hazy light amber color. Seems to be unfiltered due to some sediments.

Smells mainly like wheat and orange peel, and the taste is similar, with a slight spicy (perhaps coriander) finish.

Well carbonated, but a bit light-bodied for a wit. I guess I am used to heavier wits like Hoegaarden.

This is very easy to drink, and for something made by Coor's, it's even better. Recommended.

thefenst, Oct 31, 2006
3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

poured from a 12oz. bottle with a twist off cap.

Big white foamy head that just wants to stick around awhile.Looks a very cloudy golden color that has lots of particles floating about. Not much smell maybe a bit of fruit. Tastes thick and creamy with a bite of orange. A good easy drinking beer over all with lite flavors.

Alkey, Oct 30, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This beer is still on the fence. Great taste!!!Mild and a bit uneventful but very clean and acceptable for a masspro witbier... Aftertaste bitter. a bit heavy when warmer...a bit thin when very cold.... Pumpkin, orange, coriander taste. good carbonation ...slightly overdone. Nice frothy head that lasts about 2minutes. One of the best Macro produced beers that you can buy..the alcohol finish is almost vodkaish...kinda that warm mint with a hint of lemon citrus zest aftertaste...overall: good not great. This is a good take on the genre from Coor's. They've actually done a better job with this style than many micro's I've tried...rather had a schneider hefe but I can get this at the local grocer for 14.99 a twelve.... and the bottle design is very nice.... Great with a veggie pizza..i can attest. taste 7 drinkability 5 smell 4...out of ten. Unfairly labeled a woos beer. one of the best sub 8$ sixers at the grocery... especially if you don't count sam adam's. This beer is often bashed unfairly...you could do worse...say hummer...or widmer. As for adding orange...again...the only beer that is truly improved by fruit is corona...and that's because a corona is water...who doesn't want some lemon or lime in their water? I was sitting at a decent but underfunded microbrewery in Cbus(since shut down) when the first cases of this were rolled in....that seems like ages ago now...I'd say around 1995..96? The distributor was on his last stop and donated the last case on his truck(on his first shipment of the prod.) to our evening...I found it to be a decent mass produced representation of the style....and still do today. I'd say that today it seems a bit more carbonated and thinner but then again my palate isn't the same either.

witster18, Oct 28, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

Good thick head, a cloudy amber color, this one had bits of wheat on the bottom.

Smells of orange peel and other spices, a twangy sourness

Wheaty sourness in the first sip, a spicy finnish

Very carbonated, a good balance of bitterness and sour, it was a little watery but not too much.

A very easy drinking witbier, I particularly enjoy this beer. It's good for year round consuption.

afordney, Oct 26, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Appearance is an opaque murky yellow with active carbonation fueling a thin finger of fizzy bright white head that quickly fell back to a light white ring of lacing. Smell is yeasty, grain, mostly wheat, malt and spicy coriander notes. Light lemony aromas also present. Taste is also yeasty and spicy, malty finish to a slightly dry aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light bodied with moderate carbonation, goes down smooth and easy. Drinkability is excellent, lower abv with a somewhat plain flavor and character is very refreshing. This beer is easily one of my favorites from the Coors company, and although gets a bit of a bad reputation for being a macro, this beer still has enjoyable attributes and is readily affordable and available most anywhere. Not outstanding, but still worth a try, nice introduction into Witbiers.

danielocean03, Oct 23, 2006
3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

This is an opaque, banana color with a thin white head. Smells and taste very solid, but just super average and middle of the road for wit. I'm sure some folks would gasp to hear this, but I kind of consider this a benchmark of the style. All the elements are there, but subtley presented and very balanced. Its just really no-nonsense wit. I love Hoegaarden much as the next guy, but sometimes them flavors be wildin'.

JudgeRoughneck, Oct 18, 2006
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this 12 ounce bottle into a glass beer mug. It is a very hazy straw, extra pale. It has a small head that quickly fades. You can both smell and taste the wheat in the beer, very light with little to no hoppy flavor. This is a good change of pace beer. I did not drink it with the case recommended orange slice. I might next time.

adammills, Oct 15, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served in a 23 oz tall glass at a local sports bar in the Cincinnati, OH area. It is typically served with a orange slice to give it a refreshing summertime flavor. They over charged for what they tout as a premium beer.

The head lasted a short time and left minimal lacing. The slight cloudiness (typical of a wheat beer) was less cloudy than most true hefeweissens.

The taste is enhanced by the orange slice which I squeeze ito the beer for maximum influence. Crisp & clean... ideal for summer-time.

The smell was heavily influenced by the orange as you'd expect, but it was easy to discern the natural wheat beer tang.

It felt good going down... very refreshing.... but a little on the light side for my taste.... I prefer a bit more of a lingering aftertaste.

Overall, the drinkability is above average. I will have this again but I probably won't keep a lot on hand in my fridge.

TheBierBand, Oct 09, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +10%

This beer poured a nice cloudy orange colour. It's lace lingered on the glass for about 2 minutes. It smells of a distinct orange peel and various spices which is a plus to me. It's taste revealed a very hop and malty side but a nice orange spice tast as well. Although to expsensive for me and not being my favorite but I strongly recommend this beer to people who like wheat ale a very nice drink indeed.

Newglarusguy, Oct 06, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

12oz.bottle poured into pint glass

A-poured a pale golden yellow with a thick white head.

S-sweet citrusy aroma.orangish smell.

T-fruity citrus flavor with hints of blueberry.very easy on the palate.

M-smooth crisp feel.very thirst quenching.

D-very easy to drink.this is one of my favorite beers.this is the beer that got me into becoming a conisuer.really surprised to find out it was made by coors.

Bluemoonlover, Oct 05, 2006