Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,532 | Hads: 6,189
3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

Alright fall back beer, though a good introduction to what exists out there other than your traditional lager. As a witbier it's run of the mill with a citrus background, though always decent on a hot day. I would recommend it for purchasing for a larger amount of people, or for a party. However, I could think of other witbier that is a lot better... If you are only used to very basic brews and are looking to branch out a bit, this isn't a bad starting point. In terms of the actual company that makes the brew, there is some minor controversy. Bluemoon is an example of a large corporation, MillerCoors, pretending to be a smaller independent brewer. (655 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +38.5%

Add a slice of orange, and that's some fine drinking there. Wheaty and fruity, but neither flavor really overwhelms the other. Yum! This is good winter beer! (157 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours hazy straw colored with a 1" white foam collar. Citrus and coriander on the nose and palate with a hint of banana and orange. A touch sweet on the palate. Fairly safe and innocuous. (187 characters)

Grabbed a six pack of this because I hadn't had it in a while. All right here we go.

Poured into a pilsner glass, good bold orange in color with a nice head that faded rather quickly.

As for aroma, as noted by others Blue Moon does have a kinda funny smell to it. Funky is an accurate enough term.

Taste: This beer tastes descent. Very light, very easy wheat beer. The kind of beer you take to the beach or lake and make a day of it.

Overall, I like it. You can garnish this beer with an orange slice, but honestly there's enough citrus in it to keep me happy. Depends what your fancy is. I could take a 12 pack of this to the beach on a sunny day and be satisfied for sure. (682 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2%

When I first started drinking beer, this was the first beer that I could call a favorite. I quickly moved on to bigger and better brews, but for a mass-produced, widely available beer this is very respectable. (209 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Hazy yellow with light foamy head, medium-low carbonation (3/3)
S: Fresh coriander and orange with light malty nose (7/12)
T: Mealy malt character with orangey after-taste, a mild bitter hang that dissipates quickly (13/20)
M: Medium dryness, a little more dry on finish (5/5)
O: Pretty one-dimensional but a good flavor. I think it relies too heavily on the orange to balance out the flavor, but the flavor is definitely there, and it’s really drinkable. (6/10)
34/50 (475 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2%

I know as a craft beer fan, I'm supposed to dislike this beer for being a VERY Americanized version of the style, but I just can't help but find it enjoyable, especially on a hot day. (183 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

Keep the glass and the fucking orange peel. This beer is great right out of the bottle. In any season! One of my go to when I can't get to a craft store. (153 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -5.2%

cloudy orange pour with minimal head and no lacing.
smells like fresh bread dough, minimal citrus.
tastes like fresh bread dough, a hint of orange and coriander, but its well hidden.
much like a mass produced, retail ale. I will pass if ever offered again. (256 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +12.2%

12 oz bottle in a glass. Pours orange in color, and the head quickly dissipates. Carbonation is high. I want to say it smells like orange or citrus, but the smell was muted, probably more wheat than anything. The taste immediately hits on the lemon lime notes, with a wheat quality on the back of the palette. I tasted some grapefruit and orange notes as well, mixed in with the wheat. The label says its complex, and I will agree. There are is lot of fruit and citrus in this brew. Remarkably, the beer goes down exceptionally smooth and you have to be careful not too drink too many because they're so refreshing. Blue moon remains one of the best convenience store, mass market wheat beers. Top notch. (717 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%

Strong spicy savory flavor, goes great for those brisk Fall evenings and freezing Winter nights by the fireplace. Goes great with orange or even a lime. (152 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

good for a macrobrew it is a lighter than most witbeirs need's an orange tho you can also just throw a shot of oj in instead... good intro to the style. (152 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2%

This beer actually turned me on to the whole craft beer scene. Only later did I find out it is actually a division of Coors. To spice up the rather boring flavor of this mass produced beer, an orange wedge is always nice.

It is still a good beer. I just can't bring myself to ever buy it or drink it because of the company behind it. Definitely beer snobbery 101. If you are a light beer person looking to transition into the craft sector, definitely give this one a try. (473 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

A simple but good tasting beer, much better than the competition (shock top). For Coors to make this they did pretty good. I personally prefer no orange peel added, goes well with just about any food pairing.
Pours golden orange, with 2 finger head, good anytime of the year! (276 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -56.3%

Typical of American beers trying to copy European quality brews, they don't even come close, taste like Coors and that is not a compliment. Read some of the ratings online and on this site and it said Ok - good. I have spent most of my life in Europe and have tried everything from Belgium to Czech, Dutch, and German. That is where Beer tastes best. It's not just just the taste of the beer but the glasses they serve it in and the atmosphere. At home in America I still find that most American beers are mass produced, highly marketed and taste all the same in most cases. (581 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -34.4%

Appearance. Very hazy with some lacing. Very effervescent.

Smell. The smell of orange was very obvious when the bottle was opened but so was a rather off putting smell of white wine. Vinegary and sour is the best way I can think to describe the aroma.

Taste. Again the orange comes through very well but it is still fighting with the almost vinegar like quality that was just so overpowering that I could not taste the spices at all. Have to confess to finding it disappointing.

Mouthfeel. Thin.

Overall. 'Not my cup of tea' (as we say in Northern Ireland) but I think if you are into Lambic style beers this is probably more for you. I approached this beer expecting something more in the lines of a typical Belgian or Dutch wheat beer and was put off by the sour vinegar nature of this one. I feel almost guilty for rating it in the way I have but in Belfast it was either marketed incorrectly or it is not what it claims to be. (935 characters)

As a new beer drinker, this is the first I've ever tried that had me saying, "wow, I actually really like this." Had it served in a pint glass with an orange slice, the only thing I didn't like was the slight funky odor. Until I find something I like better, this will be my go-to when available. (296 characters)

I'm not ashamed to admit that this is one of my favorite beers out there. It's a joy to look at (the cloudy, straw-colored, liquid looks fantastic when thirsty) and the taste is strong enough but not overwhelming. The orange peel and coriander are easy to detect, while there is no yeasty aftertaste (which is a huge plus in my books). (336 characters)

I have a fondness for Bluemoon. It was the first beer that had flavor and added the expectation of flavor to my palate. It made me look at the "other aisles" other than the adjunct lager section. It was my notice for the idea of Craft Beer and the existence other beers other than adjunct lagers. (296 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange gold with a nice one-and-half-inch head. Lacing minimal. Pretty heavy carbonation.

Aroma: There's some odd funk in the nose up front. The aroma is mostly orange, citrus, spices and wheat, but there's this lingering off-putting funkiness that I don't think is intentional.

Taste: Luckily, the taste is much less funky. Nice, easy wheat beer flavor with lots of citrus. Not a bad representation of the style.

Mouthfeel: It's on the thin side of normal.

Overall: I'm thankful for the ubiquity of Blue Moon because it means bars and restaurants that lack for beer options will likely have at least one palatable option. Certainly not my favorite wheat beer, but it's decent. (749 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -6.4%

Appearance: Pours a hazy orange-gold; I swirled it, but there was lots of sediment left in the bottle. Head is 4" in pilsner glass, faded to lingering off-white 1/2" foam. Little sign of effervescence, no lacing left on the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Yeasty and bready. Little there. Grain.

Taste: Clean, watery arrival. Hint of sweetness across mid-palate. Citrus on the finish. Whither the hops?

Mouthfeel: Very slight effervescence and slick-but-clean feel.

Overall: Decent example of the style; always a fave, never disappoints, but doesn't really set itself apart, either. Good for parties and happy hours in the summer. (629 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Always one of my favorite. Golden color, solid foam, and a cloudy look once poured. Smells of citrus fruit is great. The taste is non bitter and very easy going down. I understand that Blue Moon may not be a craft beer in the truest sense, but its a favorite of mine. Always a fall back choice. (294 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Blue moon

355ml bottle served cold into a pint glass, aboard the cruise ship while in Estonia. Re-reviwewing this while away on holiday.

Appearance - hazy rich golden color with plenty of honey brown and even some orange hues. Nice two finger head caps of the beer off. The cascading white head had good retention time, finally dissolving away after a few minutes into a wispy white residue.

Smell - orange and plenty of coriander, not alot else, but the aroma is fairly hefty.

Taste - orange and coriander melds together nicely with some other spices. Mild alcohol heat is also noticeable at the back of the mouth and in the throat. Still it's well put together.

Mouthfeel - uncanny creaminess almost to the point of being too much and making this beer too heavy for its own good. I prefer my witbier, to be a touch lighter.

Overall - blue moon is a fine wit beer, and something I was certainly happy to have available to me while on vacation, instead of the usual adjunct and light lagers. Nevertheless as far as wit beers go it's still only in the middle of the pack, some worse but many better, but definitely serves as a great and accessible introductory craft-like beer. (1,184 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: Very cloudy gold with a thick white head.

Smell: Mainly wheat. A little citrus.

Taste: Wheat and malt. Some spiciness (coriander and pepper?). No alcohol detected, and very little bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium thickness and high carbonation.

Overall: Not amazing, but not abrasive. This was my gateway beer - it showed me that there was an enjoyable world beyond American adjunct lagers. Widespread enough that it makes a good fall-back beer when selection is limited. I prefer this to Shock Top. (512 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -13.7%

APPEARANCE: Hazy and blonde in color with a pretty decent looking head upon first pour. It forms a very homogenous head (in terms of bubble size) that’s about a finger thick. The retention is not so great, however, as it settles into a very thin cap, which reveals a little brown blob of something floating on top. Sediment maybe? The lacing is actually quite nice.

SMELL: There is almost nothing on the nose, even before the head falls. What is there smells like a typical Belgian White, a little spicy (clove) and a very faint fruity smell.

TASTE: This tastes better than I expected, but it is much thinner than most Belgian beers. It is clearly meant to be inoffensive to as many people as possible. I get a tiny bit of orange peel, a bigger dose of clove and some faint banana. There is also a kind of odd (but not unpleasant) 7UP-like taste.

MOUTHFEEL: I can’t complain about the mouthfeel at all. Light bodied, but creeping towards medium with just slightly less sparkle than the optimal level.

OVERALL: I’m pretty surprised at my review of this. I thought I’d be trashing this beer like it was Stella. That said, exceeding my expectations was not a difficult thing to do. This beer is certainly not what I would choose out of any lineup, even if it was a lineup of all Belgian Whites, but it is tolerable…I’m just still freaked out about this little brown blob that’s still floating in the beer. I’m sure it’s fine, but it creeps me out. (1,466 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company