1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,335 | Reviews: 1,410 | Show All Ratings:
jjamadorphd

4.34/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Blue Moon's Belgian White is very, very good. I wasn't impressed at first with it's appearance out of the bottle - cloudy Belgian Whites normally do that to me. However, from that point forward I was happy with the experience. A very appealing wheat smell was followed up with a bold and refreshing tang to the taste buds. I have to say it's probably my favorite Blue Moon to date.

10-18-2013 01:57:35 | More by jjamadorphd
scratchchance

Hawaii

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

As some the first time i found out it was a coors product i didnt buy it. Later i decided to try blue moon and was actualy very supprised at the complexity of the beer. I have had other white belgin style brews that where flat. This is a very complex and drinkable beer. I am particularly keen on wheat beers and this one is definatly a keeper.

10-02-2004 08:44:46 | More by scratchchance
Heritage02Rider

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

First time I had it, I really thought it was Belgian beer, only to find out it is Coors. Be that as it may, I find this beer has nothing in common with that useless waste of brewing. This beer is good, if not very good. I started having these just as starters (you know good beer first). As I had more of these I found that I can have these all night long and enjoy them with every sip; first or last. No extremely filled up feeling after several that you would get with a traditional European wheat.

It looks good in the glass and I find this beer very drinkable and if it is on tap, I will definitly get one.

Many people/bartenders serve the beer with an orange slice. Hold up your hand and declare: "no fruit!". Forget the fruit, unless you are into that kind of thing. Eeeww-yuch. Good beer does not need fruit and such things floating around in it. Just a good head in a nice glass and some great friends make this a very good beer.

11-21-2006 18:42:46 | More by Heritage02Rider
Bergenboy1981

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

An in law gave me a draft Blue Moon once after being told I liked Hoegaarden and having tried the pumpkin ale of the same brand I was reluctant and skeptical, however once I tried it it was love at first taste, and at the time I HATED all beer except Hoegaarden.

Blue Moon is the ONLY mainstram beer I will drink. I like it from the bottle, but always try to have it draft whenever possible (it is easily found on draft at TGI Fridays).

It pours out a nice golden color with a nice head. Goes great with a slice of orange. Blue Moon goes well with food, especially hot spicy food like wings, it cuts right through the spice. It's got a nice sweet, mellow taste not overpowered with spices like many Belgian Style beers. It could be creamier, but still a great choice.

Has a nice citrus flavor is very refreshing, and although most of my friends would call Blue Moon a summer beer, for me its a pefect choice year round.
If your trying to find a good belgian white beer, and i know how difficult this can be, especially when your areas stores have a small, mainstream selection, definately go with Blue Moon, you shouldn't be disapointed. Blue Moon is easily my second favorite brew to date, under Blance De Chambly.

02-16-2008 09:32:37 | More by Bergenboy1981
Bitzy

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

I grabbed a couple bottles of this beer at my local bodega when I was craving a cold brew. Having not had Blue Moon Belgian White in a while I sorta forgot what is tastes like. However, from the pouring of it into my Hard Rock cafe Los Angeles glass to the first few sips, I was very impressed.

Appearance: Foggy golden orange color with a nice 3/4 inch head that slowly dissipated after the first few sips. Not too much lacing though.

Smell: All the necessary ingredients for a Belgian witbier i.e. yeast, orange peal, coriander, wheat malt, and a bit of phenols.

Taste: Deliciously sweet. Mildly yeasty, orange peal and coriander were nicely pronounced. I also detected a slight tartness which I don't know if I liked.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkabilityl: light and smooth

Overall: Not the best North American interpretation of a belgain wit but definately one I could more than one of in a sitting.

09-10-2008 19:58:09 | More by Bitzy
Goregazm

Rhode Island

WONT LEAVE YOU BLUE

Appearance: This beer pours an orange-yellow color, thick and impossible to see through. Has a very nice three finger head which is very foamy and lasts a long time. As it slowly dissipated, it left some very nice lacing in its wake.

Smell: Has a scent of citrus (espeically orange), malt, and some breadiness, almost like a sourdough undertone. Good sweet and sour mix in the aroma.

Taste: Sweet, with very little bitterness, definately can taste the citrus in there. Spices are slight, and it's just enough for this beer. Quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Malty and frothy. In the mouth it has a milky consistancy to it, and it's not unpleasant. Leaves a bittersweet taste on the palate, with orange and other citrus flavors still abundant.

Drinkability: This is a very refreshing ale that I will definately buy again. This is ideal for a hot summer day, perhaps while on a picnic or after working in the yard. I highly recommend this to anyone into this style of beer.

10-09-2008 23:45:13 | More by Goregazm
tone77

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

Poured from a brown bottle into a weizen glass. Has a brownish orange color with about an inch of head. There is some lacing to the glass. The smell is both sweet and spicy. The taste is most excellent. There is a slight sweetness to it with no bitterness. This is one of the more delicious American beers I have had. I will be buying Blue Moon again soon.

06-04-2009 00:13:05 | More by tone77
wolfpack87

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

Excellent wheat style beer. Very hazy look with orange tint. Smells very good and tastes very good. Probably not my favorite wheat beer but still very high on the list, and price is very reasonable compared to others. Easiest wheat beer to find for sure, many others are not available at most every store you go to.

01-12-2010 02:36:33 | More by wolfpack87
92jAKe47FS

Louisiana

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

This was the first beer that I had that really got me interested in trying different beers. When first poured it pours a hazy orange with a mediocre head that dissipates slowly and has mild lacing. The first thing you notice is the citrus and spices brewed in the beer. Not to hoppy and leaves a clean finish after each sip. This was my beer of choice every Sunday last season when the saints played.

07-21-2010 17:46:21 | More by 92jAKe47FS
Dadoftwogirls

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

This is one of my favorite "all day" beers and I think it deserves a better reputation than it gets. It has a creamy golden orange color and pours with a good head. Aroma is pleasant and fresh with citrus notes. I don't know where the idea to add a slice of orange came from, but doing so seems to bring out a crisp refreshing flavor that gives it a borderline hint of sweetness. It is great for hot summer days. The price is also very reasonable.

If I had only on complaint it would be that at 170 calories a bottle it can add up on your waistline in a hurry if you worry about such things. In my opinion it is the best beer offering from Coors.

09-27-2010 20:14:26 | More by Dadoftwogirls
Ranchito

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

This is the beer I drink at the ball park. It pours with a rich, foamy head that fades away leaving just a trace of foam around the glass. I find that the malt overpowers the hops with a slight spicy nose. The mouth feel is good, full bodied and fruity, with rich flavors, just slightly spicy. It is always served with a wedge of orange, which is ok, but unnecessary. I don't need fruit in my beer, and this beer can stand on its own. It is not like Corona where you need some help to make it palatable.

10-13-2010 00:43:51 | More by Ranchito
Lemke10

Wisconsin

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

I bought this in a 8-pack Mircobrewery variety pack from Woodman's in Janesville, WI for $12 in late 2010.

Pours a cloudy light amber color with a good scent of citrus and wheat. It continues with a great full flavor of wheat and citrus flavors drinking rather smooth. A beer that pairs well with most food and is on of my favorites.

I'll be the first to admit I have this over-rated, but when I first started trying beers this was the first beer I really enjoyed and I still do today!

01-11-2011 22:23:20 | More by Lemke10
drewy813

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

Color is orange amber. Beautiful color. White, medium head that fades quickly. Left little lacing.

Smell is wheat and citrus, orange mostly, little lemon. What is subtle but adds interest.

Taste is exceptional in my opinion. As someone who enjoys witbeirs and weizens this is one of my favorites. The malty, wheaty, orangey, coriandery flavors meld for a great tasting beer that's great for an after dinner drink.

Mouthfeel is above average. While the carbonation is acceptable, the flavors lose their cohesiveness as the beer warms and it feels flat on my palate.

Drinkability is high. I could probably finish a 6 pack on my own with no problem.

03-15-2011 04:47:23 | More by drewy813
akgrandon

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

A- Golden orange unfiltered haze, almost no head to speak of.

S- Citrus, sweet

T- Sweet, wheat, crisp, mild on hops, finishes sweet/citrus.

M- High carbonation, not too much though. Not watery

O- Great drinkability, the kind of beer I can drink all night! Sweet and Light, yet with enough body.

Cons: a little bitter/tart in the aftertaste.

12-17-2011 01:31:00 | More by akgrandon
RossPeterson

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

A- A mix of gold and orange with haze. What little head was there disappeared before I could take my first sip.

S- Citric and sweet. A bold fruity smell that was awakening.

T- Starts sweet and finishes sweet, with wheat and mild hops, crisp and a relatively clean finish aside from the orange notes.

M- A very health dose of carbonation with no lack of flavor. Again...Very sweet, for lack of a better phrase, it is like a candy beer.

O- This is in my beer hall of fame and is one of my go-to beers. Very great drinkability with an amazing body. It's almost too sweet, but for a witbier it's astoundingly good.

12-20-2011 08:57:20 | More by RossPeterson
Antnego

4.33/5  rDev +27.4%

The gold standard of wheat beers, quite possibly all beers. I am a fan of wheat beers, so be prepared for a very biased review.

Blue Moon is my standard go-to beer, especially when good craft beers are scarce. It drinks like a quality craft beer, yet is surprisingly common to find on tap at a neighborhood watering hole.

It's amber-golden color is appealing. Head is typically thin and does not last long. The scent is citrusy with a tone of sourdough bread.

The taste is phenomenal. It has a citrusy bite with undertones of various slices, including cinnamon and coriander. The dominant flavor is bready wheat. When someone refers to beer as "liquid bread," I immediately imagine Blue Moon. You remember its flavor and your mouth waters.

Its mouthfeel is exquisite. Silky, thick and rich. The brew coats your tongue and washes down well. This beer has the body of Guiness without the muddy color or strong bitterness.

If Blue Moon was the only beer on Earth, I'd be quite content.

Serving type: nitro-tap

12-19-2012 06:23:22 | More by Antnego
HoppyBastard

Nebraska

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass.

APPEARANCE: cloudy, orange hue with initial one finger head that dissipated quickly, there was small amount of lacing on the glass, medium carbonation.

SMELL: sweet orange citrus, flowery, bread, coriander, not overpowering.

TASTE: sweet citrus, spice and bread, not overpowering, hops are not prominent in this beer, very drinkable.

PALATE: creamy with medium carbonation.

OVERALL: Blue Moon is the beer that got me interested in domestic craft beer and all the other Belgian beer styles that I love. I consider this the best Belgian White on the market. I know this is made by Miller-Coors but I don't care. Good beer is where you find it. This is the only mass produced beer I buy on a regular basis.

02-28-2014 02:06:33 | More by HoppyBastard
Bighuge

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

Hazy straw color. A little spicing on the nose. Not much though. This is really a sweet wit. Light bodied and easy drinking. Spicing is pretty evident on the palate. Nutmeg, cinamon, bitter orange. Very nice. This was on of the first craft brews that really caught my attention some 8,10 years ago. It is still a very enjoyable brew.

07-24-2002 19:00:06 | More by Bighuge
Nesued

South Carolina

4.3/5  rDev +26.5%

Appearance: hazy wheat/straw color. Head was well formed when delivered to the table cold. Served with a wedge of orange to add to the citrus/fruit presence.

Smell: Mild nose. Refreshing smell with a presence of citrus. Not overpowering, just a presence.

Taste: The first time I ordered this beer I was taken by suprise. I was expecting something totally different from the fruity/citrus taste. For a summer beer, this is by far an excellent choice. When I am not drinking this at a local establishment, I cut a wedge of lemon or orange and add it to the beer. Again, for a summer drinking beer after cutting the grass or other outdoor activities, this is outstanding.

Mouthfeel: A very present citrus feel (i.e. a bit of a tang) with a lasting mouth coating. Very nice.

Drinkability: For an American Belgian, this is an excellent beer. It goes down very smooth, especially when cold, and is easy to have "sneak up on you".

Added comments: I first had this on-tap at a Flying Saucer in my city. Since then, I've purchased several six-packs from a local Total Wine and More establishment. I have seen these six-packs even in grocery stores (Piggly Wiggly, Publix, etc.) so the Coors guys have done a very good job in not only making a good Belgian, but also making it available to the "common man". To those ends, this has become my "summer beer". It is refreshing while at the same time having a bit of body to it, rather than a quick and dirty common brew.

05-02-2006 01:07:35 | More by Nesued
mando_thegreat

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I think blue moon is an amazing beer. I really enjoy drinking it. the taste is perfect, appearance is wonderful, and the price is reasonable for what it is. I would have to say this is prob one of my favorite beers. I still have yet to try the other blue moon flavors, so i wont jump the gun just yet. I can tell they will be good as well. i would recommend this beer to everyone

01-25-2014 04:09:45 | More by mando_thegreat
IrishRedRock

4.28/5  rDev +25.9%

I liked this one very much. It was one beer I can truly say that an air freshener should be made from the scent. The color was also very appealing to me, a cloudy yellow/amber. Very nice. Extremely smooth, with a very unique complexity unlike any other wheat I have had. I could drink many of these on a warm summer night. I let the yeast settle in the bottle, then swirled and dumped. The yeasty flavor in the glass gave it an excellent spiciness. An excellent brew!!

07-15-2002 14:35:22 | More by IrishRedRock
RedBeerchetta

4.28/5  rDev +25.9%

This is currently my every day beer. It's that good. The spice, combined with what I can only describe as a hint of blueberry, makes this so deliciously drinkable I had to bring some back to Toronto on my last trip home, south of the border. Blueberry isn't mentioned on the label and friends say they don't always taste it - some batches seem to have it and some don't - but whatever the flavour is it's matched perfectly with the spices of this Belgian Wheat.

07-06-2003 20:04:29 | More by RedBeerchetta
littlebibs

New Hampshire

4.28/5  rDev +25.9%

After vacationing this past week and eating and drinking at Southend Brewery in Charleston,SC and tasting their Belgium White
Ale on draft as their seasonale special I've been hooked on this great
tasting beer. I bought a six pack of Blue Moon Belgium White
Ale and I for the most part am pleased with this. It doesn't compare to the belgium white ale draft I had in Charleston with a side of
an orange slice, but Its a very good summer Belgium White. I'm
sure there are better but when its hot and you're looking for
something alittle different and you serve it nice and cold with
a side of orange its worth it. I would recommend this, I'd love
to try this as a draft as well.

07-20-2003 00:45:28 | More by littlebibs
Hokies

Rhode Island

4.28/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a weizen glass. Pours a nice orange color with some cloudiness. Their was a minimal head that dissipates quickly and leaves slight lacing on top of the beer and the side of the glass.

The scent is strong with coriander and wheat and some weak aroma of orange.

The taste is one of my favorites as it is not to strong and is nice and balanced. The beer starts with a nice creaminess to it as the combination of the wheat and coriander hit the tongue first. On the backside of this one you can taste the orange peel and the spice from the coriander. The beer finishes with a nice almost buttery feel to it. Not a high level of carbonation in this beer makes it easy to drink.

This is definitely a beer that you could drink all night and not get sick of it. This is one of my all time favorites.

07-02-2008 04:16:15 | More by Hokies
IndianaAggie

Indiana

4.26/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Love this beer, currently my favorite. Has a great taste and after taste. Sitting down with a 6 pack of Blue Moon on a saturday/sunday evening is a great way to end the day and start a new week. Just downed a few while watching Monday night football.

11-12-2013 05:47:09 | More by IndianaAggie