2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,339 | Reviews: 1,412 | Show All Ratings:
JoLight

Georgia

2.55/5  rDev -25%

Ap- Hazy orange/yellow, very small head, and light to no lacing.

A- Smells of orange, coriander, some spiciness, and wheat.

T- Tastes of bland wheat, dried up, old oranges, some spiciness, and it leaves a bitter, bland, dry aftertaste.

O- I was really disappointed with this beer, because I like the others of its brand. But this beer was not at all what I thought it'd be like. It was fresh, and well refrigerated; and even with all that said, I still can't say anything positive about it from a personal opinion. It's good quality beer for the price, and it's worth a try. I know a lot of people who drink Blue Moon Belgian White and love it. But this is just not for me. I don't claim this to be a bad beer, but it's not something I'd buy again.

07-28-2011 19:55:35 | More by JoLight
kojevergas

2.55/5  rDev -25%

33cl brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a generic hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a two finger head of slight cream, decent thickness, and alright retention. Colour is a cloudy dark orange. Not real appealing, truth be told.

Sm: Aroma is light in strength. Dirty orange esters dominate. No cream is present.

T: Dirty orange and stale-ish barley are all that come through. Simply badly built (especially for the style) and rather imbalanced. I wish there was more to it.

Mf: Smooth and wet. It helps to get the beer down easily, which I suppose caters to their demographic. Doesn't really complement the flavour.

Dr: Drinkable enough. It's better on draught, but not by much. It's sad that a beer requires an orange to taste better. The price is crap on draught for the quality, but a bit better from the bottle. Only recommended for extremist fanatics of the style.

09-04-2011 05:25:17 | More by kojevergas
jackndan

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

Blue Moon: Hey bartender, keep the damn fruit away from my beer. What’s with the orange with this beer anyway? Did Coors issue a press release to bartenders that their beer should be garnished with a big old slice of orange? Did I ask for a big fat piece of citrus with this beer? Cripes.

I drank the first one, after fishing the damn orange out of it. I’ll review the second one. Alrighty then, it’s a bad wheat beer, that being said, I’m a big fan of wheat beers, and thus it did tend to hit the spot. Cloudy wheat beer, but missing that banana aroma and taste that is typical with the style. Again it went down well, but my lord there are tons better.

05-01-2003 19:57:49 | More by jackndan
mschofield

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

Pours a hazy opaque orange, head appears properly, but dissipated way too quickly, it was gone in seconds.
Bready aroma, with banana, some orange peel.
Banana follows through to the taste, joined with rice and grain. A chemical undertone to the taste. Too sweet.
Light feel, again too chemical and medicinal to me.
Does not compare to a real Belgian.

01-12-2004 22:28:58 | More by mschofield
kimcgolf

Georgia

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured to a nice golden color, hazy as expected. Unfortunately, the faomy white head dissipated alomost immediately. This was very light, with a hint of fruit, but no aroma that I could detect. My wife would probably enjoy this, especially ion a warm summer night, but I want more beer taste.

07-02-2006 12:33:10 | More by kimcgolf
donkeyrunner

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

"There's a bad moon on the rise." -CCR

Opaque orange with an itsy bitsy foam collar around the glass. I'd blame the poor appearance on the pour but, in retrospect, I've never seen a good looking Blue Moon draft.

Smells like moldy orange. I like funk but mold is going in the wrong direction. Tastes like orange Gatorade. Soda-like carbonation. When I went to Ireland a few years ago they had a sports drink that was pretty much carbonated orange Gatorade. This could be one and the same.

09-24-2010 00:46:43 | More by donkeyrunner
TheElusiveAlexT

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

I drank one beer as is and one with an orange wedge, the orange wedge improved the taste of the beer, but the review (to be fair) is of the beer alone like all my others.

Appearance - A bubbly, fizzy, and murky off-amber color that looks orange. On all of the pours only one had a head that was a thin collar that vanished shortly later. No lacing left at the end. This beer is highly carbonated but not as bad as some other macros or a soda.

Smell - Big on wheat and orange. The orange is a rind and cider kind of smell with all the appropriate hints of spice.

Taste - Similar to the smell. It leaves a metallic aftertaste that fades away to the usual macro lemon-rind. This beer is also surprisingly sweet, not in the good or fruity kind of way but like it was brewed with a lot of sugar. The orange rind made it more palatable but it also made it like an bitter orange soda.

Mouthfeel - Fizzy and tangy similar to a flavored tonic water. Light bodied and a smooth drink. Sadly this is the beer's best quality.

Drinkability - Well, its smooth and light like I mentioned in the mouthfeel so it isn't hard to drink but why bother? This is the kind of by the fire in the winter-time beer to warm you up but its not that enjoyable even in that setting. I felt gassy in-between sips.

03-03-2011 18:37:30 | More by TheElusiveAlexT
GarthDanielson

2.58/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured on-tap and served in a tumbler pint, the beer is a hazy, opaque, orange-yellow coloring with a fluffy, light, bright white head. Aromas of citrus and bready yeast, light and balanced, but nothing special sticking out to me. Flavors are bready, with a clove spicing and citrus highlight. Well blended, but the carbonation and spicing makes it slightly sharp in mouth. Fruity, effervescent aftertaste that is bordering on overly sweet. Frothy, carbonated finish. The flavors just don't hold up enough against the light, carbonated body. Meh.

10-13-2012 21:42:06 | More by GarthDanielson
moulefrite

2.6/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I love this style so sorry to be so harsh coors, but hey...! The color is a murky mess of an imitation. Aromatics are marketed towards the "sweet tooth" American palate. Damn it! Not all of us are sweet toothers!!! The mouthfeel is light and quite carbonated. Flavors are of an oversweetened, overmalted attempt at a belgian wit. Mostly malt dominates the nose and taste, while an infusion of orange and coriander makes a clumbsy appearance. Tastes like a coors silver bullet with a tea bag infusion. It would be a preferred beer to most other coors products for me though, so the drinkability gets rave reviews!

12-03-2003 02:30:17 | More by moulefrite
mattpoin

2.6/5  rDev -23.5%

A: Cloudy, orangish-gold in color. Pours about a finger of white head that dissipates into a thing ring.

S: Decent citrus fragrance, with a warm spice smell as well. Could have a little more aroma to it.

T: Very sweet, with little balance. To me this is the weakest aspect of the beer.

M: Medium body, with fairly short aftertaste.

D: It's not a year round drinker, but if the weather's warm it makes a decent beer. Not as thin as the mass-produced American lagers, but not so thick it keeps you from drinking multiple ones.

I think the taste leaves a lot to be desired--to me, it's a one note song. Still though, it's the standard beer of its kind at most bars. Could do worse.

05-20-2010 01:18:23 | More by mattpoin
oracle

Indiana

12 oz bottle in a tall pilsner glass

This beer poured light yellow and cloudy with a 1 inch frothy dense head that disappeared a little on the quick side and left slight lacing.

Smell was interesting, lemony and yeasty, but with a very slight musty-ness to it.

Taste was a little off. Hints of lemon and corriander, but on the whole I found this beer to be rather bland.

Slight of body and medium in carbonation. Might be good on a hot day when you want to drink something fast, but not much here to savor.

I'll pass and look for something better.

12-09-2004 20:33:31 | More by oracle
avaulteriam

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%

interesting scent, wheat, some banana. First taste, instantly thought bananas the fruit, not the candy. Tastes like a wheat beer, not too original. Smooth and very drinkable. Far from being my favorite witbier, but not too bad for a molson-coors product.

05-29-2008 22:18:14 | More by avaulteriam
Pencible

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%

This poured a hazy straw yellow with white head. It smelled like sour lemon and standard Belgian wild yeast, and some salt. It tasted like creamy lemon and orange hops, with wild Belgian yeast and wheat malt. It was watery with some carbonation, with a faint sour aftertaste. Overall this was not bad for a generic wheat ale. It had surprisingly decent flavor and body, and therefore drinkability. Perhaps it's generic composition is better suited for me, since I'm not a wheat ale fan.

09-08-2008 23:17:26 | More by Pencible
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Nice cloudy orange. It fits the style.

S: This beer has a pleasant citrus smell but nothing that's going to wow you.

T: I enjoy the taste of this beer. It's got just enough flavor to keep you wanting another. Theres a nice fruity twang and a slight bite.

M: Sort of grainy but smooth enough to make me happy.

D: This is another pounder in my book. I can drink these all night.

Overall this is a decent macro pretending to be a micro. It's not going to win any contests but the kids sure do love it.

07-01-2009 19:18:19 | More by beerwolf77
d1blet

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Has a very light head that quickly dissipates. Cloudy murky amber orange.

Aroma: Faint floral notes with a soapy citrus punch.

Mouthfeel: Very light and crisp with lots of carbonation.

Taste: Light wheat. Lacks any sort of depth or character. There is perhaps a hint of orange/citrus somewhere in the background.

Overall: I don't understand why some people give rave reviews for this beer. It's not a horrible beer by any account, but for a "craft beer" it's not noteworthy in any respect. The only reason why I would order one again is if I had a craving for an orange slice to go with my beer.

06-21-2011 08:16:47 | More by d1blet
bensbeers

Maryland

2.63/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured from bottle to a standard pint glass.

Appearance was a pale orange, slightly hazy. 1" head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing behind.

Smell was heavy on the oranges and bread. I didn't get a whole lot else out of this besides those two.

Taste was similar to most other witbiers I have tried - it followed the nose. Heavy citrus notes. Didn't enjoy the mass-produced taste that this beer had. Yes, obviously I'm aware that Coors makes this beer, but maybe I'm just becoming a bit more picky than i used to be. Taste was not very well-balanced and lacked the complexity that you can find in many beers for this price.

Mouthfeel was quite enjoyable. I am a huge fan of IPAs, and this beer had the crisp bite that a lot of IPAs and even cheaper ales have. This is definitely something that I have been searching for in a lot of witbiers, so it is great to know tht it exists - I'd just like to find one that was a little more balanced.

Overall, I try, as I'm sure many of you do, to avoid mass-produced beers. But this was not that bad. Upsides to to this beer were the smell and mouthfeel, but it was severely lacking in the taste department. I am sure that this is not the last time I have a Blue Moon, and i certainly will not turn one down if offered. cheers!

08-10-2012 02:44:39 | More by bensbeers
dmarch

2.65/5  rDev -22.1%

This was my first experience of a belgian wit so I decided to revisit this beer. I enjoyed befor because I've never had anything like it before, but now after having other belgian wits, this was very dissappointing. It has a cloudy orange color with a nice white head, but I expected the pale golden color that is characteristic of most wits. This looked more like dirty water. It was served with a lemon which in fact helped the aroma. The taste was slightly citrusy, but not enough to make this a refreshing summer beer. I only enjoyed this years ago because it was different (for me), so it looks like Coor's had a good idea. If Hoegaarden and allegash white were as widely available as this though, I don't think this would sell very well.

04-19-2003 07:24:37 | More by dmarch
cedricwarner

Kentucky

2.65/5  rDev -22.1%

This is a very popular beer these days, as it is the most commonly available example of a Belgian White Beer (the only one you can pick up at the Shell mart). I find that it's a really shoddy example. The head pours kind of sad, and the mouthfeel is a bit harsh for the smoothness expected from this style. The actual flavor is like someone took a Hoegaarden and mixed it half and half with a bland domestic beer. There are much better Belgian White Beers around.

04-02-2004 16:43:49 | More by cedricwarner
bjohnson

2.65/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a peachish yellow color with a one finger white fizzy head. Slight retention and not much lace. Lots of fizz going on inside.
S: Grassy aroma notes with some lemon and spicy.
T/M: Grassy wheatyness with some lemon notes come through first. Refreshing and easy drinking, but not very dynamic. Gets a bit watery and earthy tasting. Not one of the better wits out there.
D: Not highly drinkable, but a good starter beer for someone looking to get into craft even though its brewed by the giant Coors. Could be a good summers drink if you had to.

08-29-2006 23:07:22 | More by bjohnson
Reanimator

Iowa

2.65/5  rDev -22.1%

A: Murky golden yellow color with about 3-4 fingers of bubbly, egg white head.

S: Wheat, orange rind, some spices. Very yeasty and bready.

T: Wheat up front with a bit of an astringent spicy finish. Taste obviously dominated by wheat with a little bit of hop bitterness. Perhaps some alcohol as well? The taste really doesn't stick around long.

M: Mouthfeel is a bit thin but very smooth with pleasant carbonation.

D: Easy drinkin', not much thinkin'. I'm not a fan of Blue Moon and I wouldn't recommended it to someone interested in craft/non-BMC brews, but taken for what it is I'd drink it over other Coors products.

01-25-2008 17:33:49 | More by Reanimator
arboristfish

Wisconsin

2.65/5  rDev -22.1%

This beer pours a hazy yellow color, had a fizzy white head that faded fast. The aroma smells of coriander and orange peel. The flavor is sweet, and yet light, like its almost watered down. There isnt much of a belgian yeast flavor from what you would expect from a traditional witbier. The mouthfeel is light and fizzy.

12-02-2010 03:30:44 | More by arboristfish
gabedivision

2.65/5  rDev -22.1%

On tap in the BWI airport.

Well, this poured a murky orange, cloudy ugly, no head, thin lace, not appetizing. Oh, and there was an orange in it, fun...The smell was of light citrus, oranges, earthy like dirt earthy. The taste was the same, light citrus, faint malts, earthy and grainy. Light bodied, easy to drink, comes off crisp. Overall, im not rating this based on where it was made, this just sucks. It tasted nothing like any witbier or Belgian white ive ever had. Not my cup of tea.

05-10-2011 02:56:40 | More by gabedivision
HardTarget

2.68/5  rDev -21.2%

Twist top brown 12 oz. bottle with a date code: OCT10 10243Q 04, which I’m going to assume means best by Oct. 10th, 2004. I’m at a loss as to why they need to be cryptic.
Aroma: Some mild spices, maybe a touch of coriander and a citric, possibly orange peel note. The coriander started to come out a bit more as it warmed.
Appearance: A fast rising white head of large bubbles that promised not to stay around long, and kept its promise. No lacing and a hazy dark yellow color.
Flavor: Heavy on the coriander and a bit of a honey taste, both true to style. Unfortunately, that’s really all there is. I’m not getting any of the wheat flavors, and there is none of the sour lactic taste I enjoy in witbiers.
Mouthfeel: Medium-light body with fizzy carbonation and a fairly dry finish.
Overall Impression: I’m a wit fan, and while this may be a “gateway” wit to draw in people to the style, I’m afraid it will just tell them “a wit is just a beer with some coriander”. While this beer isn’t too far from style, it just lacks, for lack of a term; soul. It just came across as a bit watery and one sided, and that side was coriander. Coriander is a tough ingredient. I’m thinking I got a fairly fresh sample, and if it aged a bit, the coriander would fade a bit. It’s also a bit sweet, which draws away from the “refreshing” aspects I look for with the style, which hurts drinkability. Not a bad beer, but not a really good one either.

06-01-2004 04:26:46 | More by HardTarget
Guinness4me

2.68/5  rDev -21.2%

What stated with a lovely light head with delicate lace, finished quite uneventful. It looks like a belgian, it smells like a belgian, but it just doesn't have the complexity to be a belgian.

The smell had my mouth watering with it's promise fruity, flowery goodness. Even the first taste on your tongue is promising but soons just dies. Flat. I would like it more if the taste was more lingering and complex.

Not offensive so I'd consider it easy to drink.

08-23-2004 01:30:48 | More by Guinness4me
Troyone

2.68/5  rDev -21.2%

Thought this was something different, did not know it was a commercial beer. Came in a twist off bottle, I should have known, poured a really hazy dirty blond with minimal head that quickly dissipated.
The smell is musky with a sweet background.
The taste is a musky sweet carbonated beer that is the taste of carbonation more so than sweetness inspiring the after taste.
The mouthfeel is also musky with an undetermined sweetness and the carbonation does not even or smooth out.
The drinkability is not good and the after taste has a lingering musky sweet taste that is not desirable for me cause I know better.

11-29-2004 06:59:22 | More by Troyone