Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros

hubbadubbel, Mar 03, 2014

skyjarrod, Dec 10, 2012

DustinYetman, Jul 25, 2014

Pecan, Dec 20, 2012

RockOnKatie, Apr 28, 2012

gspeer711, Feb 22, 2014

Saltee, Mar 06, 2012
1.78/5  rDev -47.6%

I've had this beer before and from what I remembered it was not that good. Since seeing several favorable reviews I thought it merited another try. What I found was that it was actually worse than I remembered. I noticed some weird kind of vegetal smell, kind of like that bunch of parsley you forgot was in the bottom of the veggie drawer in the fridge, and now it's funky ass parsley soup. Sour veggie taste too. Yuk. I promptly dumped this crap into the drain.

John, Aug 08, 2002
1.78/5  rDev -47.6%

Belgian beer is my favorite type of beer, so I thought I would give this a try. The taste didn't remind me at all of any of the qualities I normally like in Belgian beer. It instead has that generic taste of a corporate macro beer. It's possible that this beer might be tolerable in a shandy, but it's just a little bit too bland for me to enjoy on its own.

NotMyRealName, Aug 12, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -47.6%

Taste is overpowered with spices. I can't taste hops or beer. It taste like chicken broth and kitchen spices. Horrible beer. Head is alright and appearance is good, but the taste and drinkability is horrible. Smells similar to the taste... bad. Would not recommend to drink at any time or any season.

dacz76, Dec 12, 2008
1.78/5  rDev -47.6%

left over from my friends moving me in

A-Cloudy golden with a very fluffy white head. Great head, great lacing. good looking beer.

S-Orange zest domintes the nose. It actually smells like frozen concentrated orange juice. I do not get anything else besides that it is so strong.

T_Orange dominates, then some coriander, then some more orange. A tad of bitterness, but it is the bitterness of an orange peel. Nothing else is noticeable to me besides the strong orange and coriander.

M-Watery and mildly carbonated.

D-Blech. I tried to give this a chance, I really did. This is a terrible wit. The other three left over from the six will sit in my firdge until someone else comes over. This is like watered down sunkist with a ateaspoon of coriander put in.

sleazo, Jun 07, 2007
1.8/5  rDev -47.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

No sir, I don't like it. I tried a bottle before knowing it was a Coors product or that would have scared me off. It is much lighter than beers that I normally consume. Perhaps this disqualifies my review because I lack the experience, but this is the type of beer that I started to move away from when I became more interested in beer. Better than standard macroswill, but not much.

scottum, Jan 25, 2003
1.83/5  rDev -46.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in straight pint glass. Poured a cloudy yellow color (hello, Coors? this a White ale.) with a thin white head that had decent retention and lacing.

The aroma was very bland and subdued, nothing stood out. The taste had none of the expected Wit flavors and despite a certain tanginess, the flavor was very bland.

The mouthfeel was below average, very little if any joy. The beer was very drinkable in the sense that it slid down the throat without any effort, but it was undrinkable in the sense that there was no enjoyment to be had with this beer. Avoid.

beertunes, Feb 21, 2010
1.85/5  rDev -45.6%

Pours a bright orange color with white highlights, a small pure white head that settles into a ring. The aroma is tough. To me it smells like rotting vegetables with a blast of coriander and orange peel to cover the stench. I dunno it has a creamy funk aroma which I can't explain in words. This is the brew that turned me off to wit beers. The taste is a bit better but still stinks. Creamy orange peel with coriander and heavy white pepper. No malt or real yeast flavors, just a jumble of forced spices. This tastes like a beer that spoiled, should have an expiration date like that of milk. The feel is light but not watery, fairly soft carbonation; finishes sweet and grossly spicy. I hate to bash a brew but this thing has almost everything I hate. This has never tasted right to me, in the top two of just foul brews. This has literally ruined wit biers for me.

Gmann, Jan 17, 2009
1.85/5  rDev -45.6%

From twelve ounce bottle, freshness dated March 26 12.

Pours a cloudy orange/yellow with a thin non-lasting white head. No lacing whatsoever. Aroma is of citrus and damp hay. Taste is vile, drain pour coming up! Too much bitter citrus spice! I have had this on tap once before, and said never again. I gave it another try, bottled this time. It is even worse!

CaptJackHarkness, Jan 07, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -43.2%

Poured a very murky golden, with some fizzy head that, while voluminous, was gone soda-pop quick. Murky dark center looks like pulpy apple juice or something, plus some added bubbles rising to the surface.

Wheat and a tiny bit of orange candy in the nose.

Taste follows, with a decent amount of orange in the beginning to go with a wheaty malt taste. However, after these two specific flavors show up, everything fades quickly into a watery mess. Coriander pops up once or twice, but is so faint it may as well have never been there. Finish is decently oaty.

Mouthfeel isn't entirely bad, as it has a decent creamy texture initially, but that watery feel and taste just kills any buzz the beer had created previously. Drinkability was ok for a bit, but then quickly spiraled into a disaster. Nasty semi-yeast taste, combined with watery malt is just yucky in the aftertaste. I think the "belgian yeast" is hitting near the end, instead of spicing it up near the beginning, which is weird tasting in this case, as it accompanies water and nothing else. The orange also fades much too quickly considering it doesn't have much back up. Solid offering from Coors, but judged by craft, this one falls short.

madvermin, Feb 13, 2011
1.94/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

This is my first posting ever. I am new to rating beers, but have tried many, many beers of many varieties. Without knowing the finesse needed to accurately describe a beer, I want to give this a whirl.

Appearance: Somewhat golden and hazy, but not quite like other full-fledged witbiers (I just betrayed the fact that I think this is less than what it calls itself). The appearance is actually what makes this beer appealing as to the untrained eye it looks somewhat hazier than the average mass manufactured beer.

Smell: Sour, fruity, and something else I couldn't identify at first (please see taste)...

Taste: Dull Sour, barel wheaty, the orange peel they claim to put in doesn't shine through quite clearly. There is something else in this I tasted at first that really, really drew me away.... corainder. Corainder is essentially cilantro (from the same plant). In an attempt to be sophisticated, this was added. Please remove the corainder.

Mouthfeel: I'm still trying to get over the taste.

Overall: This beer is trying desperately to be something it is not. The fancy smancy spiciness is just killing its ability to be considered drinkable. Underneath my gag reflex I was able to sense that this is indeed a wheaty beer looking for respect. I would drink this regularly if not for the added spiciness.

RobeerCop, Jul 28, 2013
1.95/5  rDev -42.6%

This review is a review of the Molson-brewed version of Blue Moon. Shortly after Coors and Molson merged, they stopped brewing this beer in Memphis, Tennessee, changed the recipe, and started brewing it in Canada at a Molson brewery. Since then:

-Less wheat is used. The head is not as foamy and not as pure white. Color of the beer is darker than it used to be. It is also less hazy.

-The wrong yeast is used. It now tastes like Hefeweizen yeast.

-A different mix of hops is used. The finish, in particular, is different. It is sharper than it used to be. The finish reminds me of pilsener hopping.

-Less coriander and orange flavor are present. There is a difference between old beer where the flavor and smell have faded and beer where less is used. You can barely taste and smell the orange peel and coriander.

-Mouthfeel is entirely different. This new recipe seems more acidic than the old one, and more thin.

The new, Molson-brewed version of this beer is more like Erdinger Schnee-Weisse (a spiced winter Hefeweizen) than a Belgian Witbier. Bear in mind that it is with great sadness that I write this poor review, because the previous recipe of Blue Moon was my favorite American beer. I ranked the old recipe as second only to Hoegaarden Witbier, and even above some other Belgian Witbiers, like Brugges. Unfortunately, the new Molson-brewed Blue Moon is not a Witbier at all.

Perhaps Sam Adams will fix their Witbier recipe and put it in regular distribution?

ThaSmokinGun, Jul 20, 2006
1.98/5  rDev -41.8%

03/17/11- Had a 12 oz bottle of this marked April 11, 2011.
A: Hazy golden with constant bubbles, good frothy cream head.
S: Metallic leafy hops, bready yeast, some banana, slightly rustic... OK, I'm not really enticed with this one.
T: Orange juice, artificial sweetener, funky bitterness like moldy hops, soap--like eating a bar of soap--weird... it lingers.
M: Starts off too mild, then goes spritzy frothy.
D: C'mon! This is a sad representative of a Witbier. Why is this a B average on this site?

ne0m00re, Mar 18, 2011