Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,532 | Hads: 6,189

The beer pours a light "Chill Hazed" golden color with a modest in size white head that is semi-creamy in texture and as it dissipates quickly the leftover lace forms a quite thin sheet to cover the glass. Nose is sweet malt, fresh and crisp and the start also sweet with a fair grain presence, the top is cadaverous. Finish is moderately carbonated with meek hop spiciness and a dry lingering aftertaste. (405 characters)

Flat with an unpalatable, nauseatingly sweet taste profile. Unlike most beer this one gets worse the more you drink it. Generally, not a fan of the coriander/orange taste profile in my beer. (190 characters)

This is a cloudy golden color and has a whitish head. The nose and taste are both quite light for the style, but have good balance. There is a good amount of wheat malt with some faint citrus flavors. The clean body has lots of carbonation. A decent wheat beer that goes down well enough. (288 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

This is my first posting ever. I am new to rating beers, but have tried many, many beers of many varieties. Without knowing the finesse needed to accurately describe a beer, I want to give this a whirl.

Appearance: Somewhat golden and hazy, but not quite like other full-fledged witbiers (I just betrayed the fact that I think this is less than what it calls itself). The appearance is actually what makes this beer appealing as to the untrained eye it looks somewhat hazier than the average mass manufactured beer.

Smell: Sour, fruity, and something else I couldn't identify at first (please see taste)...

Taste: Dull Sour, barel wheaty, the orange peel they claim to put in doesn't shine through quite clearly. There is something else in this I tasted at first that really, really drew me away.... corainder. Corainder is essentially cilantro (from the same plant). In an attempt to be sophisticated, this was added. Please remove the corainder.

Mouthfeel: I'm still trying to get over the taste.

Overall: This beer is trying desperately to be something it is not. The fancy smancy spiciness is just killing its ability to be considered drinkable. Underneath my gag reflex I was able to sense that this is indeed a wheaty beer looking for respect. I would drink this regularly if not for the added spiciness. (1,315 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -40.8%

This poured to a dark straw color that doesn't look so great. The head was unimpressive to begin with, shrank to nothing, and left no lace.

The smell consists entirely of a coriander and citrus, and it's not very appealing at all. The taste is more acceptable, but too sweet and zesty. The flavors here are fairly plain and overdone. The mouthfeel is fine, but the drinkability takes big hit for the simple fact that it just isn't very appealing.

On it's own this is a reasonable alternative to bad beer, but it falls flat for the style. (543 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -40.8%

Almost the color of orange juice in appearance with a fluffy white head that retreats after a few minutes. Light aroma of wheat and I could barely detect any spices. Mouthfeel is thin with some crispness on the edges. Taste leans toward the sweet side with some wheat flavor in addition to a touch of citrus (orange). Lacks the overall flavoring of coriander, orange peel and spice along with the crispness that a good wit should have. With other better options like Lakefront White and Allagash White, in addition to others Blue Moon is something I probably won't choose again. (578 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -40.5%

03/17/11- Had a 12 oz bottle of this marked April 11, 2011.
A: Hazy golden with constant bubbles, good frothy cream head.
S: Metallic leafy hops, bready yeast, some banana, slightly rustic... OK, I'm not really enticed with this one.
T: Orange juice, artificial sweetener, funky bitterness like moldy hops, soap--like eating a bar of soap--weird... it lingers.
M: Starts off too mild, then goes spritzy frothy.
D: C'mon! This is a sad representative of a Witbier. Why is this a B average on this site? (501 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -40.2%

Pours a dark opaque yellow, with little head. Very little head retention, little to no lacing. Some sediments, as would be expected from any wheat brew.

Smells slightly sour to me. Some kind of fruity notes, lemon prominant in taste. Thin mouthfeel. Taste is lacking something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Overall, I don't think this beer is that good. I'm halfway done with mine and having trouble wanting to finish it.

Leaves an undesireable aftertaste, which continues the sour smell of the beer. No head left at all now.

If you like this style, try it, but keep in mind, it is from Golden, CO, so it's a macro in micro disguise. (654 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -40.2%

Chilled bottle poured into a glass.

A: Head that barely lasts a minute. Yellow wheat color with gold hues and bubbles.

S: Sweet malts, some coriander and other spices.

T: Malt, citrus, spices. Very clean and crisp taste.

M: Thin/watery and slightly too much carbonation. Still, goes down quite smoothly.

D: Great solid summer beer, especially for BBQs. Not something I really pick up otherwise. (404 characters)

2.05/5  rDev -40.2%

Poured into a Hennipen glass.

A-Hazy golden orange beer. 3/4" white head fades to zero head in seconds.
S-Oranges. Coriander. Some French candy from childhood that came in a round tin (pastilles?) morphes into some too-sweet American Easter chicks. I once left a moving blanket on the ground over the winter, when I peeled it off of the grass, there was a moldy smell of decay; some of that is hinted at here, too.
T-Slight orange fruity taste. Moldy cardboard. Cheap perfume.
M-Fair carbonation. Thin.
D-One is more than enough. 11 left in the 12-pack? Crap.

CRUX: DISAPPOINTING. Maybe it's better on-tap? (616 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours hazy yellow and a 1 inch head or so if poured vigorously.

Smells of orange peal, coriander, little bit of hops, yeast and fruit loops cereal.

Orange peal, yeast, spices, seems unbalanced and a slight bitterness.

Not too much carbonation, little bit light.

Easy to drink due to low alcohol but not easy to drink because of bad taste. I could drink this if had already drank a bunch of other stuff and was offered to me at a party, maybe.

I started drinking this when I was 18, I thought it was cool and I got the perception that is was a good beer. Unknowing to me it was a coors product. Since then I have had many better beers in general and of the same style. Blue Moon lacks very much and is barely a Belgian White. (730 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass
Presenting the latest installment of the hit series, "Reaper Drinks Beer that People Left at His House After a Party."

Pours a mix of yellow and orange that almost makes an eerie green, like the sky in weather conducive to spawning tornadoes. The outer edges of the body are yellow, but the inner portion is a murky off-orange color. The body is quite cloudy throughout. Less than a finger of white head. Essentially no lacing. Below average appearance, I'd say. The typical witbier will look better.

The malt smells bad. Spoiled, almost. The wheat is not zippy and crisp smelling like it should be. There is a sourness in the grain smell, and it smells more like breakfast cereal than a wheat beer. Some orange peel aroma. Not much coriander. Some sugary sweetness that, combined with everything else, smells like Fruity Pebbles.

OH C'MON COORS. WHAT THE HELL. Seriously? You used adjuncts in this witbier? I don't know why I am surprised to taste corn here. It explains the sour mash aroma I was getting. The corn flavor shows up two seconds after the beer greets your palate and it dominates the finish. Nasty, fruity breakfast cereal is what this beer tastes like. It starts off OK: a nice flush of orange with a trace amount of herbal spice to balance it. You begin to form a thought in your mind, that thought being "Hey, this isn't a half-bad witbi..." and your thought gets cut off right there when the wheat flavor gives way to the corn. How unfortunate.

There's some heft to the body here, a creaminess that works with the flavor profile. But the general impression is of a slickness that doesn't mesh with the body's size. A misstep. Drinkability is up to you: you can drink plenty of these. They go down easily. Unless you don't like how it tastes, that is. A mature palate would not abide this beer for long.

This was actually far worse than I thought it was going to be. I was expecting a decent rendition of a witbier. I got something that was slightly below average in some ways and dreadful in the most important way. (2,079 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -38.8%

Somewhat cloudy in appearance and more closer to a hefeweizen color-wise than a witbier. Aroma has hints of wheat and spice and even coriander. Taste is somewhat interesting. It's pretty bitter and not quite what I expect in a witbier. Too much spice and maybe a bit too sweet. Just not very impressive. (303 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -38.2%

This is a preferential review, because honestly, this is a "girl beer". Way too sweet, feels like melted butter in my mouth, with a not so fresh or crisp aftertaste.

On a warm day, this is probably the worst brew to grab if you're wanting to quench your thirst or refresh your senses. It always leaves me feeling bloated and displeased.

There are far better Belgian Ales out there, it's a shame this is the one that's most popular. (433 characters)

2.14/5  rDev -37.6%

It's so hard for me to diss any beer at all but this one misses the mark by quite a way. The appearance is misleading. It LOOKS like a real Belgian white, cloudy wheat but perhaps a shade dark. The flavor was awful. It's very rare that I will not finish a beer. This one made it into that lonely zone. Stick to Celis or Hoegaarden. (331 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -37.3%

I tried this beer at a chain restaurant in a large weizen type glass. I was cloudy orange-gold in color, with decent head. It smelled of orange and citrus. It was very sweet, too sweet, with orange fruit flavors. It was very gassy, too much even for the style. I would seek out other white beers to drink regularly. (315 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -37.3%

L: Hazy pale orange, virtually no head. Very fizzy, looks more like Fanta than beer.

S: Strong grapefruit or pineapple, orange peel and nothing else. Once again, doesn't really smell like a beer.

T: Same as above really. Taste reminiscent of carbonated fruit juice. Very one dimensional but I will give it this - for the first half of the drink it's quite refreshing. Afterwards, it's pretty hard to finish..

M: Light bodied and watery, too fizzy to taste, but thirst quenching (at first). Don't let it warm up, for the love of god. (535 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -37%

Beer is far from full as for mouthfeel. Very runny, too carbonated. Not diggin' this brew. Hate to get on here and flame but this beer was a starting point for myself.

Pours orange, 1 finger to no head, little lacing. Empty mouthfeel taste malty, taste no hops.

Have tried it without any fruit and with a slice of orange, either are straight i guess, but I would definitely check out some other wheat beers. This was not a great attempt at a quality belgian wheat Coors....

peace (482 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -36.4%

Had this beer on tap, poured into standard pint glass. The beer is a cloudy light yellow. The head is white, but fades fast and leaves no sign of lace. Thin mouthfeel. Fruity but bland, slight pineapple, orange, lemon flavors, no hop presence, no malt presence. From what I have gathered this beer is made by Coors and marketed as a microbrew, but has a lot to be desired, not worth another pint. (396 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

I noticed only stale yeast and blandness. I don't like to give a bad review, so instead I'll will wait a few weeks and try another bottle. I've read reviews on citrus which I love in my Wits and honestly say not hint of it here. (230 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -35.3%

Finally tried this beer that a couple of my aquaintances order regularly. Not again. Unique, cloudy, glowing hue (maybe not unique...I'm not sure, this is my first witbier) which begins promising, does not ultimately deliver. Very sweet, orange-juice sort of flavored malt; just a little flat with a hard-to-put-my-finger-on-it taste I ultimately pegged as piña colada. Full mouthfeel (though still flat) makes way for a gentle rise of vapors at the finish I would expect more after downing a shot of liquor. Kind of a *blech* finish to it all. I really didn't enjoy this beer all that much at all. (599 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -35%

Pours a light golden color with NO head and NO lacing.
Smell is nice wheat, spice, sweet malt.
Taste is something I can't really explain. It tastes as though there are chemical additives, sweet malts with a somewhat dry finish? I am at a loss here, maybe some sort of grains? Either way, I don't like it.
Mouthfeel is light bodied with appropriate carbination.
Drinkability is below average. The taste is terrible I will only ever drink half of one of these. I am going to dump the rest out.

This beer is not good for this style. Infact it is not good at all.I hated the taste, and I can't finish it. Terrible!! (619 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -35%

This beer pours a hazy pale orange color. The head is two inches in height, and recedes rather quickly for a wheat beer into thin lacing. The aroma is of orange peel and lemons with a corny, adjunct backbone. The taste has a lot of bland maltiness, with almost no orange peel or lemon. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this is a very poor example of the witbier. I will not drink this again. (424 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -35%

looks very nice in the glass--lovely colour, and nice head. unfortunately, let down by the taste and non-existent finish. slight citrusy notes, and a hint of bitterness as it enters the mouth, but by the time you've finished swallowing it you might as well have had a sip of water. but this does make it a very good thirst quencher after a hot, humid day as we've had today in southern minnesota. (396 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -34.4%

Appearance. Very hazy with some lacing. Very effervescent.

Smell. The smell of orange was very obvious when the bottle was opened but so was a rather off putting smell of white wine. Vinegary and sour is the best way I can think to describe the aroma.

Taste. Again the orange comes through very well but it is still fighting with the almost vinegar like quality that was just so overpowering that I could not taste the spices at all. Have to confess to finding it disappointing.

Mouthfeel. Thin.

Overall. 'Not my cup of tea' (as we say in Northern Ireland) but I think if you are into Lambic style beers this is probably more for you. I approached this beer expecting something more in the lines of a typical Belgian or Dutch wheat beer and was put off by the sour vinegar nature of this one. I feel almost guilty for rating it in the way I have but in Belfast it was either marketed incorrectly or it is not what it claims to be. (935 characters)

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company