Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,144 | Reviews: 1,655
1.84/5  rDev -45.9%

My son loves this beer, so I had one tonight and couldn't finish it, tastes awful if you ask me.

A-The head was thin and didn't last long.

S-It smells great when poured, like an orange.

T-From the time it entered my mouth until I swallowed I just did not like the taste, yuck.

M-Yuck.

D-This wasn't for me, sorry.

1.85/5  rDev -45.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

No sir, I don't like it. I tried a bottle before knowing it was a Coors product or that would have scared me off. It is much lighter than beers that I normally consume. Perhaps this disqualifies my review because I lack the experience, but this is the type of beer that I started to move away from when I became more interested in beer. Better than standard macroswill, but not much.

1.88/5  rDev -44.7%

From twelve ounce bottle, freshness dated March 26 12.

Pours a cloudy orange/yellow with a thin non-lasting white head. No lacing whatsoever. Aroma is of citrus and damp hay. Taste is vile, drain pour coming up! Too much bitter citrus spice! I have had this on tap once before, and said never again. I gave it another try, bottled this time. It is even worse!

1.93/5  rDev -43.2%

Poured a very murky golden, with some fizzy head that, while voluminous, was gone soda-pop quick. Murky dark center looks like pulpy apple juice or something, plus some added bubbles rising to the surface.

Wheat and a tiny bit of orange candy in the nose.

Taste follows, with a decent amount of orange in the beginning to go with a wheaty malt taste. However, after these two specific flavors show up, everything fades quickly into a watery mess. Coriander pops up once or twice, but is so faint it may as well have never been there. Finish is decently oaty.

Mouthfeel isn't entirely bad, as it has a decent creamy texture initially, but that watery feel and taste just kills any buzz the beer had created previously. Drinkability was ok for a bit, but then quickly spiraled into a disaster. Nasty semi-yeast taste, combined with watery malt is just yucky in the aftertaste. I think the "belgian yeast" is hitting near the end, instead of spicing it up near the beginning, which is weird tasting in this case, as it accompanies water and nothing else. The orange also fades much too quickly considering it doesn't have much back up. Solid offering from Coors, but judged by craft, this one falls short.

1.96/5  rDev -42.4%

This review is a review of the Molson-brewed version of Blue Moon. Shortly after Coors and Molson merged, they stopped brewing this beer in Memphis, Tennessee, changed the recipe, and started brewing it in Canada at a Molson brewery. Since then:

-Less wheat is used. The head is not as foamy and not as pure white. Color of the beer is darker than it used to be. It is also less hazy.

-The wrong yeast is used. It now tastes like Hefeweizen yeast.

-A different mix of hops is used. The finish, in particular, is different. It is sharper than it used to be. The finish reminds me of pilsener hopping.

-Less coriander and orange flavor are present. There is a difference between old beer where the flavor and smell have faded and beer where less is used. You can barely taste and smell the orange peel and coriander.

-Mouthfeel is entirely different. This new recipe seems more acidic than the old one, and more thin.

The new, Molson-brewed version of this beer is more like Erdinger Schnee-Weisse (a spiced winter Hefeweizen) than a Belgian Witbier. Bear in mind that it is with great sadness that I write this poor review, because the previous recipe of Blue Moon was my favorite American beer. I ranked the old recipe as second only to Hoegaarden Witbier, and even above some other Belgian Witbiers, like Brugges. Unfortunately, the new Molson-brewed Blue Moon is not a Witbier at all.

Perhaps Sam Adams will fix their Witbier recipe and put it in regular distribution?

I didn't like how it looked when I held it up to the light, it looked cloudy. The form head didn't last, the taste was less than impressive.
My brother left two bottles in my fridge so I decided to drink them and review them at the same time. I can say this much; I will never buy this product.
Hell; I don't even like the label on the bottle. I am so NOT impressed by this beer that I am shocked that so many people rated this beer at least a B.

The beer pours a light "Chill Hazed" golden color with a modest in size white head that is semi-creamy in texture and as it dissipates quickly the leftover lace forms a quite thin sheet to cover the glass. Nose is sweet malt, fresh and crisp and the start also sweet with a fair grain presence, the top is cadaverous. Finish is moderately carbonated with meek hop spiciness and a dry lingering aftertaste.

Flat with an unpalatable, nauseatingly sweet taste profile. Unlike most beer this one gets worse the more you drink it. Generally, not a fan of the coriander/orange taste profile in my beer.

This is a cloudy golden color and has a whitish head. The nose and taste are both quite light for the style, but have good balance. There is a good amount of wheat malt with some faint citrus flavors. The clean body has lots of carbonation. A decent wheat beer that goes down well enough.

I used to like this but maybe my tastes got a bit more sophisticated...I found it undrinkable now...

2.02/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

This is my first posting ever. I am new to rating beers, but have tried many, many beers of many varieties. Without knowing the finesse needed to accurately describe a beer, I want to give this a whirl.

Appearance: Somewhat golden and hazy, but not quite like other full-fledged witbiers (I just betrayed the fact that I think this is less than what it calls itself). The appearance is actually what makes this beer appealing as to the untrained eye it looks somewhat hazier than the average mass manufactured beer.

Smell: Sour, fruity, and something else I couldn't identify at first (please see taste)...

Taste: Dull Sour, barel wheaty, the orange peel they claim to put in doesn't shine through quite clearly. There is something else in this I tasted at first that really, really drew me away.... corainder. Corainder is essentially cilantro (from the same plant). In an attempt to be sophisticated, this was added. Please remove the corainder.

Mouthfeel: I'm still trying to get over the taste.

Overall: This beer is trying desperately to be something it is not. The fancy smancy spiciness is just killing its ability to be considered drinkable. Underneath my gag reflex I was able to sense that this is indeed a wheaty beer looking for respect. I would drink this regularly if not for the added spiciness.

2.03/5  rDev -40.3%

This poured to a dark straw color that doesn't look so great. The head was unimpressive to begin with, shrank to nothing, and left no lace.

The smell consists entirely of a coriander and citrus, and it's not very appealing at all. The taste is more acceptable, but too sweet and zesty. The flavors here are fairly plain and overdone. The mouthfeel is fine, but the drinkability takes big hit for the simple fact that it just isn't very appealing.

On it's own this is a reasonable alternative to bad beer, but it falls flat for the style.

2.03/5  rDev -40.3%

Almost the color of orange juice in appearance with a fluffy white head that retreats after a few minutes. Light aroma of wheat and I could barely detect any spices. Mouthfeel is thin with some crispness on the edges. Taste leans toward the sweet side with some wheat flavor in addition to a touch of citrus (orange). Lacks the overall flavoring of coriander, orange peel and spice along with the crispness that a good wit should have. With other better options like Lakefront White and Allagash White, in addition to others Blue Moon is something I probably won't choose again.

2.04/5  rDev -40%

03/17/11- Had a 12 oz bottle of this marked April 11, 2011.
A: Hazy golden with constant bubbles, good frothy cream head.
S: Metallic leafy hops, bready yeast, some banana, slightly rustic... OK, I'm not really enticed with this one.
T: Orange juice, artificial sweetener, funky bitterness like moldy hops, soap--like eating a bar of soap--weird... it lingers.
M: Starts off too mild, then goes spritzy frothy.
D: C'mon! This is a sad representative of a Witbier. Why is this a B average on this site?

2.05/5  rDev -39.7%

Pours a dark opaque yellow, with little head. Very little head retention, little to no lacing. Some sediments, as would be expected from any wheat brew.

Smells slightly sour to me. Some kind of fruity notes, lemon prominant in taste. Thin mouthfeel. Taste is lacking something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Overall, I don't think this beer is that good. I'm halfway done with mine and having trouble wanting to finish it.

Leaves an undesireable aftertaste, which continues the sour smell of the beer. No head left at all now.

If you like this style, try it, but keep in mind, it is from Golden, CO, so it's a macro in micro disguise.

2.05/5  rDev -39.7%

Chilled bottle poured into a glass.

A: Head that barely lasts a minute. Yellow wheat color with gold hues and bubbles.

S: Sweet malts, some coriander and other spices.

T: Malt, citrus, spices. Very clean and crisp taste.

M: Thin/watery and slightly too much carbonation. Still, goes down quite smoothly.

D: Great solid summer beer, especially for BBQs. Not something I really pick up otherwise.

2.05/5  rDev -39.7%

Poured into a Hennipen glass.

A-Hazy golden orange beer. 3/4" white head fades to zero head in seconds.
S-Oranges. Coriander. Some French candy from childhood that came in a round tin (pastilles?) morphes into some too-sweet American Easter chicks. I once left a moving blanket on the ground over the winter, when I peeled it off of the grass, there was a moldy smell of decay; some of that is hinted at here, too.
T-Slight orange fruity taste. Moldy cardboard. Cheap perfume.
M-Fair carbonation. Thin.
D-One is more than enough. 11 left in the 12-pack? Crap.

CRUX: DISAPPOINTING. Maybe it's better on-tap?

2.06/5  rDev -39.4%

Pours hazy yellow and a 1 inch head or so if poured vigorously.

Smells of orange peal, coriander, little bit of hops, yeast and fruit loops cereal.

Orange peal, yeast, spices, seems unbalanced and a slight bitterness.

Not too much carbonation, little bit light.

Easy to drink due to low alcohol but not easy to drink because of bad taste. I could drink this if had already drank a bunch of other stuff and was offered to me at a party, maybe.

I started drinking this when I was 18, I thought it was cool and I got the perception that is was a good beer. Unknowing to me it was a coors product. Since then I have had many better beers in general and of the same style. Blue Moon lacks very much and is barely a Belgian White.

2.1/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle served into a pint glass
Presenting the latest installment of the hit series, "Reaper Drinks Beer that People Left at His House After a Party."

Pours a mix of yellow and orange that almost makes an eerie green, like the sky in weather conducive to spawning tornadoes. The outer edges of the body are yellow, but the inner portion is a murky off-orange color. The body is quite cloudy throughout. Less than a finger of white head. Essentially no lacing. Below average appearance, I'd say. The typical witbier will look better.

The malt smells bad. Spoiled, almost. The wheat is not zippy and crisp smelling like it should be. There is a sourness in the grain smell, and it smells more like breakfast cereal than a wheat beer. Some orange peel aroma. Not much coriander. Some sugary sweetness that, combined with everything else, smells like Fruity Pebbles.

OH C'MON COORS. WHAT THE HELL. Seriously? You used adjuncts in this witbier? I don't know why I am surprised to taste corn here. It explains the sour mash aroma I was getting. The corn flavor shows up two seconds after the beer greets your palate and it dominates the finish. Nasty, fruity breakfast cereal is what this beer tastes like. It starts off OK: a nice flush of orange with a trace amount of herbal spice to balance it. You begin to form a thought in your mind, that thought being "Hey, this isn't a half-bad witbi..." and your thought gets cut off right there when the wheat flavor gives way to the corn. How unfortunate.

There's some heft to the body here, a creaminess that works with the flavor profile. But the general impression is of a slickness that doesn't mesh with the body's size. A misstep. Drinkability is up to you: you can drink plenty of these. They go down easily. Unless you don't like how it tastes, that is. A mature palate would not abide this beer for long.

This was actually far worse than I thought it was going to be. I was expecting a decent rendition of a witbier. I got something that was slightly below average in some ways and dreadful in the most important way.

2.1/5  rDev -38.2%

Somewhat cloudy in appearance and more closer to a hefeweizen color-wise than a witbier. Aroma has hints of wheat and spice and even coriander. Taste is somewhat interesting. It's pretty bitter and not quite what I expect in a witbier. Too much spice and maybe a bit too sweet. Just not very impressive.

2.12/5  rDev -37.6%

This is a preferential review, because honestly, this is a "girl beer". Way too sweet, feels like melted butter in my mouth, with a not so fresh or crisp aftertaste.

On a warm day, this is probably the worst brew to grab if you're wanting to quench your thirst or refresh your senses. It always leaves me feeling bloated and displeased.

There are far better Belgian Ales out there, it's a shame this is the one that's most popular.

2.14/5  rDev -37.1%

It's so hard for me to diss any beer at all but this one misses the mark by quite a way. The appearance is misleading. It LOOKS like a real Belgian white, cloudy wheat but perhaps a shade dark. The flavor was awful. It's very rare that I will not finish a beer. This one made it into that lonely zone. Stick to Celis or Hoegaarden.

2.15/5  rDev -36.8%

I tried this beer at a chain restaurant in a large weizen type glass. I was cloudy orange-gold in color, with decent head. It smelled of orange and citrus. It was very sweet, too sweet, with orange fruit flavors. It was very gassy, too much even for the style. I would seek out other white beers to drink regularly.

2.15/5  rDev -36.8%

L: Hazy pale orange, virtually no head. Very fizzy, looks more like Fanta than beer.

S: Strong grapefruit or pineapple, orange peel and nothing else. Once again, doesn't really smell like a beer.

T: Same as above really. Taste reminiscent of carbonated fruit juice. Very one dimensional but I will give it this - for the first half of the drink it's quite refreshing. Afterwards, it's pretty hard to finish..

M: Light bodied and watery, too fizzy to taste, but thirst quenching (at first). Don't let it warm up, for the love of god.

2.16/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Good beer, I think it's better on tap then out of the bottle

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company