Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

good

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros

navidp, Jun 10, 2012

CTJman, Aug 20, 2013

ericdailey, Nov 20, 2012

KGarrett, Nov 19, 2011

Chick beer. Its a beverage for women.

Ashed27, Aug 15, 2014

SeanMcKnight, Aug 23, 2013

BAstoutsNsours, Apr 01, 2013

Wow. Where to start in my panning of this beer. I guess in a sentence I would say that this is 1) not a witbier in any sense of the word, and 2) tastes so bad that it's offensive and insulting. There is zero taste, zero spiciness, and no trace of "coriander and orange peel" whatsoever. Instead, I get a salty gulp of swill with a greasy, slick mouthfeel. Couldn't even finish the beer! Awful. If I could give this 0.5 out of 5.0, I would.

cratez, Nov 24, 2008
1.13/5  rDev -66.8%

Can't remember the details since this was not memorable in a favorable way. What does stick in my head was that it smelled like cheap perfume, and tasted like I would imagine cheap perfume would taste. I do recall that I could not / would not finish the one bottle I tried, something that I have never had the displeasure of experiencing with any other beer. The remainder of the six pack my sister purchased is still in my parents' fridge, and there it will remain until they pour it out on the parched turf here in GA, where there is a watering restriction. I figure the grass will drink anything about now.

buxwheat, Jun 19, 2006

Dwh689, Mar 25, 2012

ebola2012, Aug 05, 2014

Jason1337, Apr 25, 2013
1.27/5  rDev -62.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsener glass. No freshness date, but label says it was brewed in Toronto, copyright 2007. Stored in the dark confines of 12-pack (11 more of these? YIKES)

Not the first time I have had this beer by any means. Coors has so successfully saturated the market that it is the only "witbier" style beer to be found in many a bar across the land, served with a ubiquitous slice of orange. These bars mean well, I just wish they could realize how misguided is the choice to serve this stuff. I feel the need to get this review on record. A friend who thinks he likes it bought some and popped one. Luckily, he also bought some Hoegaarden to compare and he is learning.

The straw-amber brew is mildly hazy and raises a tiny white head that recedes to nothing. Ah, that smell. Wretched. I don't know what they do to give it that grassy, unpleasant aroma. There are some lemons and I guess hints of coriander underneath, but maybe there is also good ole American macrolager skunk in there yearning to break free. It actually has some positive aspects to it so I will leave it with a "not impressed" since the good is more than cancelled by that awful stale grassiness.

On the palate the heinous promise of the nose is carried to another level entirely. A watery, thin, rancid mouthfeel carries a lemon-swampgrass taste, with a long acrid finish. Undrinkable. Make it stop.

Edit: Now that I read respected BA members' reviews that aren't as harsh as mine...I doubt they were wrong; I suspect that the mass production (in Canada?) of this product has led to a deterioration of quality. I stand by my review.

kenito799, Sep 15, 2007
1.33/5  rDev -60.9%

Review from notes... this is from a while back but I had a Blue Moon recently and it is just as I remembered...

A - poured a hazy amber/yellow with a fluffy white head that disappears in a minute. Looks decent I guess. No citrus in mine.

S - something very strange here, orange peels, pale malts, yeast. Highly unbalanced with a small pinch of hops... ugh...

T - I could not take more than a few sips of this beer. I can do Hoegaarden, St. Bernardus Wit, etc... but this was just god-awful... someone blended some orange juice, baker's yeast, and Keystone Light and called it a Blue Moon...

M - Thin and watery. Highly carbonated.

D - This was a drain pour (again). I've had this from the bottle three times and each time it was a pour.

Overall - I found this to be a horrible attempt at a Belgian Wit beer. If you want a representative of the style, Try Ommegang Witte, St. Bernardus Witbier, or even Hoegaarden. I was extremely disappointed in this beer and wasn't surprised to find that it is made by a macro. Effin wankers.

DmanGTR, Dec 27, 2008