Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Blue Moon Belgian WhiteBlue Moon Belgian White

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,550 | Hads: 6,298
3.42/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Poured a straw color with bubbly head and lots of carbonation in the glass. Very small head that went away very quickly, no lacing observed.
S: Smell is of citrus flavors with some peppery scents as well
T: Citrusy, corriander are both very present. Slight yeasty flavor. I love the taste of this beer.
M: Maybe a little overcarbonated, however it goes down pretty easily.
D: I do love this style of beer, this isn't the best I've had in the style but pretty darn good. You can usually find this beer even in bars that are Bud/Miller/Coors heavy cause its very popular, therefore its usually kind of a fall back beer for me.

3.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Blue Moon Belgian White and Killian's Irish Red are (in my opinion) in a completely different league than the rest of the Coors Brewing Company line of products. I must admit that Witbiers are not my favorite style, in fact I did not used to be much of a fan. Recently some better micros have come my way, and I have an open mind to the idea but it won't ever be my preferred style.

This beer pours an hazy yellow/orange. Small white fizzy head does not last long. Minimal lacing. It has a slight musky citrus smell. I got hints of subtle yeastiness and wheat in both the smell and the taste. The taste seems very straight foreword to me. Nice spices but not nearly the complexity of a Victory's Whirlwind Witbier. The simple straight foreword flavor probably does increase the marketability to the general macro drinking population. There really is nothing offensive about this beer (even though I don't find it overly interesting). I think it may be plenty refreshing on a hot day. It feels very bubbly and active in the mouth, but a bit empty (thin) at spots. It is crisp and refreshing. Given the brewer, it is much better than I expected, but I'm not going to go seeking it out on a regular basis. Overall; it’s an easily accessible, acceptable beer.

Hope this is helpful.

4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

This beer is one of my personal favorites I have had it in abottle and on tap. If there is a beer I want with my meal it is this one. It pours a creamy yellow color and a nice smaller white head. some places serve it with an orange on the glass I prefer to throw that to the side right away. the taste is so smooth, fills the mouth with flavour but not to much, this is why it is good with food it will not overwhelm your food. this beer is common from what i have seen so if you havent had it do so.

4.42/5  rDev +30%

This has quickly become one of my favorite beers. Like the guy whose review is just below me, Coors briefly had me thinking this stuff came from a microbrewer. And let me say I'm also impressed Coors was able to make this. This was my introduction to Belgian Whites, and its quickly become one of my favorite beers. The color is a sort of light gold, but on the cloudy side. The head pretty tall and better formed than I would have expected in such a fizzy beer. The smell is very pleasant with some citrus and a little bit of spice besides. Taste is pleasant and refreshing. It's light, with some sweetness, and some sourness that adds pleasant depth, rather than a perception cheap hops. Plus there's a bit of spice in there. Mouthfeel is fizzy and fairly light, though not at all watery. Drinkability is pretty good because this is a light and very pleasant beer. But not great because of the acidity. Hop presence is rather slight since a lot of the flavor comes from spice and other flavorings. I'd definately reccomend this, although I have to admit Hacker-Schorr Weiss was definately better still. It was a surprisingly decent introduction to a new category for me, and if I couldn't find, or didn't want to pay for a bottle of that Hacker-Schorr Weiss, then this would be my choice for someone who's new to beer, or who says they don't like beer.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

I'm not much of a fan of the belgian wit style anymore, which makes me a little more critical of it. The one I last had was not what I expected. It had a lot of corriander flavor, and unlike other's, I didn't get any orange flavor at all. I think the one I had was old, which tends to dissipate the orange and strengthen the spices. I remember it being a little more drinkable than the one I just had. It has a good appearance--I had no idea Coors knows how to not filter beer.
It has good carbonation which is appropriate for the style, and overall I'm pretty impressed Coors came up with this. I don't think I would have ever tried it if they didn't trick me into thinking Blue Moon Brewing company was some kind of microbrewery!

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Haven't had this one in quite a while...

Not really any head at all - maybe it was a bad pour by the bartender. Extremely cloudy & pale... almost opague. I like the way it looks.

Couldnt pick up too much of anything in the nose. I was in a bar.

This doesnt really taste like any other witbier I've had. Very fruity... lots of bananas, some citrus underneath. Something else in the taste makes me think of peaches, as well. Yum.

Mouthfeel is smooth enough. Not watery. Goes down easily.

Very high drinkability. I could have several without getting sick of it.

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Surprisingly drinkable and refreshing brew. Cheers to Coors. Hopefully they will take the huge increase in sales of this product to produce more of this quality.

Appearance: Twist off cap with May07 date printed on the glass of the bottle by computer. Not sure what the date means, but I'll assume it is drink before date. Nice pale hazey golden color. Good pillowy white head with some lacing that doesn't linger.
Smell: Very faint citrus scent and maybe a mellow sweetness about it. I cannot place it but I like it.
Taste: Nice citrus and some other flavor I cannot place.
Mouthfeel: medium bodied with good carbonation. Very smooth.
Drinkability: very nice.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Average wheat beer. Not a great head, but nice inital aroma. Has a clean finish, and has a lot of orange and a slight oily feel to the taste. Would be good if nothing else is on tap. Also distributed by Coors, which can be deceptive as its not on the box. Hate big brewers hiding their labels.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%

Got this at Whoville's up on Long Island when my dad's friend said I had to try the wheat beer they had on tap. He called it Bluepoint, but it was Blue Moon. I'm not one to turn down a pint that at least looked halfway decent.

Served in a standard American pint glass it was a cloudy orange amber without any head. The smell was very wheaty with a citrus dominating it.

The taste was similarly fairly simple. There was low bitterness (lower than the other wits I've had before) and a moderate amount of sweetness. Fruity flavors dominated the middle (mostly orange) with a bit of a spicyness coming through too. The finish was ever so slightly tart (maybe this is stronger for others; I had a habit of eating sour candy until my tongue bled as a kid).

The body was alright, and it was actually refreshing. Not something that I would really buy in the winter, but if it were summer time and not much else was on tap I could grab one or three and be happy.

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

Served from draft into a pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy golden yellow with a nice head that dissipated slowly.

Smell: Wheat and spices.

Taste: First taste to hit the mouth is coriander and malt sweetness that fades into wheat. Hardly any hop taste at all.

Mouthfeel: Smooth Mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. I could have a few of these in a sitting.

Not a bad for a beer coming from Coors. This is a great choice if they do not have any micro beers on tap. It has more flavors then other Macro Lagers that many chain restaurants offer.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Had this repeatedly in the bottle some years ago, glad to try it again and on-tap as well.
Pours a nicy cloudy grapefruit color. Small head drops to a film quickly.
Smell is spice, malt, yeast and fruit (citrus).
Taste is similar: spice, malt, fruit (grapefruit & banana). Nicely balanced. Though not terribly complex, way above average for a megabrew. A touch rough around the edges. Medium-bodied. A solid beer but not a great one. Considering the source, a good effort and one I purchased regularly when it was available locally in bottles.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

This is the best brew that coor's makes by far.

Appearance is cloudy and somewhat floater, very white with a great light blue tin and a somewhat foaming head.

Smell would be amazing , I couldnt explain how good the smell is but its very nice, kinda berryness/citrus.

The taste is also amazing , you can differntly taste a good type of wheat in this as well as a good tasting yeast.

Mouthfeel is nice as well for this stuff isnt too harsh like most belgian beers out there. The Drinkability would be similar since most Wibier's are the light verson and easy to form of the belgian white style.

I know most of you belgian fans dig your chimay blue, but as for as blue moon and the wibier's go, best type of beer to form out of mainstream wheat.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

Aggh I'm about to review a Coors product. MAinly because I forgot to stick a bottle or two from the cellar or the fridge. Oddly enough I remember in college thinking this was a "great" beer when one of the bars started carrying it, so it does score some sentimental points. Here goes...

12 ounce brown twist off poured into a pint glass.

A - A very pale and cloudy golden color with a tiny hint of orange. A very small white foamy head sits atop.

S - Some citrus with a wheat kick. Some yeastiness in there too.

T - A bit of sweetness of the initial taste with and orangey zest coming through some wheaty flavors. A bit of a malt sweetness but not much flavor. A bit more spiciness would improve this one.

M - A nice crisp mouthfeel with a bit of carbination.

D - Nothing great but nothing offensive. Doesn't keep you coming back for more like crazy but is one that you can drink as a session brew. I get why my one friend who's basically a light beer only drinker likes this stuff as well. Not a whole lot going on, nothing complex, but a clean taste that goes down easy.

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%

This is a pretty good beer. I enjoy this quite often, It pours well with just little head. It didnt really lace the glass at all. It is a golden orange color and smells somewhat like oranges, I guess thats why they sometimes put an orange on the glass at bars. The carbonation is nice, not to powerful. very drinkable but It is somewhat filling, I could only drink a 6 pack or so before getting full. Its made by Coors but is a much better macro than most. I reccomend this beer to someone looking for a good macro with a pretty good rep. overall good.

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours out with a white fine- bubble head that dissipates quickly with minimal lacing. Interesting orange color. Smells mostly of bergamot/ orange peel. On tasting it, I can tell they found the orange peel/ coriander, but they do almost all the work in the flavor profile here. A little bread/ wheat flavor, but not as richly as I like. Drinks easy and quickly. One of the better macros, a nice party beer- but not too complex/ refined.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a cloudy orange color with a decent head retention. The nose reminds me a bit of oranges, but has a nice balanced character.

It tastes a bit citrusy but not much. Kind of a somewhat boring wheat ale. Not bad, but nothing too fun.

The mouthfeel is is decent, a bit foamy. Drinkablility is good. Its not a bad beer, but for the price there are better options.

3.23/5  rDev -5%

Appearance – Pale yellow/orange color. Looks like a hazy macro. No sediments. Head quickly fades

Smell – Sweet, citrus, but nothing too strong.

Taste – Quite sweet. Orange comes out. A little tangy.

Mouthfeel – Over carbonation takes away from the overall taste. Tingles on the tounge. Leaves a sticky aftertaste. A little watery.

Drinkability – Very easy to drink, tastes like an exotic macro. Potentially a good introduction to the style because it is so easy to drink and not very complex. No clue it was from Coors until I came to post the review.

4.04/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a very cloudy golden orange. One finger of fine bubbles shows decent retention and leaves some patchy lacing. Orange peel and yeast dominate the nose, with some floral hop notes in the background. The orange flavor rushes out upfront, with a nice yeast bite, and citrusy hops in the aftertaste that balance the swettness. High carbonation and a light body leave a mildy dry finish and a marvelous mouthfeel. A little shy on the wheat flavor, and perhaps overkill with the citrus, but makes an excellent session ale for any season.

3.27/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz. with Feb. '05 on the bottle. Another old one from Mike's Mart.... Pours a cloudy piss gold color that is too yellow for a witbier and a 1 finger white head that leaves some trails of lace. Smells of coriander, orange peel, bready yeast, and maybe some metal. Light body with high carbonation and a lot of orange peel, along with coriander, yeast, toasty malts, sweet wheat, fruit, and some mustiness. Actually pretty good for a macro past the freshness date and better than most other macro offerings. Will drink again but probably won't go and buy some for myself.

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle, best before March 12 06 printed on the bottle neck. <br>
Hazy golden in color, small fizzy head.<br>
aroma is wheat, corn, some corriander, maybe some clove, a little sourness.
Flavor was creamy wheat with some corriander spice thrown in.<br>
Not terrible, I could see myself drinking this again, just not paying for it.

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Blue Moon Belgian White is much of what one might expect of a witbier. It has a hazy, yellow color to it and pours a small head which hurriedly fades away leaving almost no lace at all. The smell is very robust with sharp scents of citrus, more specifically orange. It has a hint of white pepper in the nose

Tastes very well balanced and finished almost creamy or buttery. Watch out though, it seems to have a bit of spiciness to it which can get old after a few. Citrusy.

I suggest that you try it first with nothing, then with a slice of orange or lemon. I know, I know. Scores of people think that it is a sin to put fruit in beer, but hey, ya' never know. Try it.

2.39/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Yellowish orange in color and cloudy of course. The best this beer had to offer was it's smell, which was very strong and full. I noticed right away, though, that it was overpoweringly orangey. I was almost taken aback by the flavor, as I could almost forget I was drinking beer with the over-intense orange flavor. The bar tender asked if I wanted a slice of orange with the pint, which I'm very glad I declined, as the LAST thing this beer needs is more orange flavor. Needless to say it got old fast.

The makers of this brew were able to pack a lot of flavor in there, too bad (in my opinion) it was all way too much orange and not enough complexity.

3.48/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a hazy yellow with a mini head.
Smell was very much of citrus like orange scents. Taste is citrus as well mostly orange in flavor. Some spice in there as well not as much as Id like to see but it was good none the less. Nice amount of carbonation and balance. A well put together afforadable beer.

A - A cloudy yellow.

S - Strong Citrus notes here. More orange than lemon.

T - A strong ctrus taste here. I have tried drinking this with a couple of slices of orange in it at first and although it adds to the beer, I later found that this beer is tasty all by itself. This is a very good cross over beer in the tradition of Killians and New Castle.

Mouthfeel: Light on the palate and it goes down very well.

Drinkability: Yes

3.57/5  rDev +5%

On-tap @ Mulligan's in Cedar Falls, Iowa.

Hazy golden color. Aroma & taste are all subtle..but has soft citrus & mild spicy qualities. Bready malt qualities and not a ton of hop character, but still tastes good. A solid fallback beer, as it's made by one of the big 3. Quite drinkable and something you can get at many bars when they only offer BMC.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company