Blue Moon Belgian White - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Witbier |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 08-15-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blue Moon Belgian White Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,137 | Reviews: 1,653
2.93/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz. longneck into pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow with a half inch of white foam.

Smell: Lemon-y twang; and just generally weird. Wheat malt?

Taste: Twang from the wheat malt and vaguely sweet in the midle. Citrusy finish. And a weird note I can't identify, but it's a little funky.

Mouthfeel: Light, tingly carbonation.

Drinkability: It's just too weird to session.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured and drank this hefe weizen from the bottle into a weizen glass where it produced a straw/orange, slightly opaque appearance with a medium/large head characteristic of hefe weizens. Being a purest, I initially refused to allow an orange slice to be placed in it, but my friend insisted. The aroma smelled of wheat malt and fruity esters as well as the citrus smell of the orange. The taste was typical of an average weizen that utilized higher fermenting temperatures to produce fruity esters and this was accented further by the orange presence. The taste was refreshing and fruity, but I felt that it was a bit too much for a beer. Admittedly, I haven't tried this without the orange, but I assume it to be fairly average. I did notice a minute amount of clove esters present. The mouthfeel was medium with a medium carbonation. The drinkability was average. While this beer didn't stand out to me as being extraordinary, I still believe it is worth a try and would certainly drink it if offered. A respectable witbier.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a tall creamy white head over a hazy golden body. The head recedes leaving no lace. Faint aromas of coriander, citrus and a bit of sawdust/earth. Similarly, the taste is fairly mild for the style. Smooth sweetness with a slight citric bight toward the end. Medium body and carbonation. Smooth mouthfeel.

A fairly mild rendition of the style with the signature coriander and citric characters playing minor roles in the composition of this ale. That being said I have found this is a wonderful starting point for expanding the world of the light beer drinker. Granted, Blue Moon is brewed by Coors, but it is a great starting point for moving on to some other Wits, such as Wittekerke, Allagash White or Bell’s Winter White to name a few of my favorites.

3.09/5  rDev -9.1%

I'm pretty new to beer appreciation. I've only recently graduated from Micheloeb's Amber Bock to more complex beers, and this is one of my first.

I was leary of the appearance. Light straw colored and looked like there was fine lint making it cloudy. I'd much rather a "foreboding" black beer than one that looks like it has stuff floating in it. The head was rather thin, sharp, not very appealing. Didn't cling to the glass like I like.

The first thing that hit me was the floral aroma. Very floral. It was a little off-putting. I expected the first drink of it to taste like a dandilion, but it was unexpectedly sweet. Once you get past the floral smell you can start detecting other interesting scents. And despite the appearance, the drinkability was better than I expected.

I didn't get as much of the citrus as other people have commented on. Maybe I'm not experience enough yet. I did sense that the bitterness, while light, was not the same "kind" of bitter like most macro brews that I'm used to (and have always disliked.) I can see that it might be more of a citrus bitter than whatever it is that makes Bud Light, for example, bitter. Which certainly made this beer a little more enjoyable than say regular Coors.

I could actually finish the glass, which is saying something for me. Generally the last couple of drinks of a beer tastes rancid to me, but this one remained somewhat sweet throughout. I don't think I'd have this regularly, but I certainly wouldn't turn it down if one was offered to me. I'd recommend it to other people who are just starting to move away from standard American beers into more complex territory.

Addendum: My previous experience has been with a poured glass. I recently tried another one right out of the bottle, and it certainly takes on a different quality.
As a wine drinker I'm well aware that the type and quality of glass actually does affect taste (mainly odor which hugely affects "taste",) so this shouldn't surprise me. But from the bottle the heavy floral taste is minimized, subdued, which makes the beer much more enjoyable. To me.

3.16/5  rDev -7.1%

Blue Moon Belgian White pours a hazy golden color with a one inch white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. Sweet citrus aroma and a touch of coriander are present in the smell. Definitely a dumbed down version of Wit in taste, but nothing unpleasant. Like a beginners version. Some citrus is definitely noticeable, coriander is fairly minor but present. Not bad, worth a try, and as many have already noted on this site, a good beginner beer to wean people off macro lagers.

Served to me in a pint glass. Slightly hazy golden orange color with a white head. Garnished with an orange slice.

Orange and malt notes come through in the aroma.

Flavor continues the orange flavors found in the aroma. This is fairly sweet, but not in an artificial way. Not very complex, but tasty.

Light body, almost watery. Medium carbonation.

A very smooth, tasty brew good for a hot day. Not the most complex Wit you'll find, but maybe the most easy-drinking.

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%

A- pours a cloudy orange-yellow, minimal head, and almost no lacing
S- good smell, definately citrusy- some orange and possibly peach smell
T- pretty decent, could use a bit more complexity and a bit less water, but all in all a good flavor
M- medium build, some carbonation, but moves down the throat real easy
D- goes down smooth

4.27/5  rDev +25.6%

Appearance: hazy wheat/straw color. Head was well formed when delivered to the table cold. Served with a wedge of orange to add to the citrus/fruit presence.

Smell: Mild nose. Refreshing smell with a presence of citrus. Not overpowering, just a presence.

Taste: The first time I ordered this beer I was taken by suprise. I was expecting something totally different from the fruity/citrus taste. For a summer beer, this is by far an excellent choice. When I am not drinking this at a local establishment, I cut a wedge of lemon or orange and add it to the beer. Again, for a summer drinking beer after cutting the grass or other outdoor activities, this is outstanding.

Mouthfeel: A very present citrus feel (i.e. a bit of a tang) with a lasting mouth coating. Very nice.

Drinkability: For an American Belgian, this is an excellent beer. It goes down very smooth, especially when cold, and is easy to have "sneak up on you".

Added comments: I first had this on-tap at a Flying Saucer in my city. Since then, I've purchased several six-packs from a local Total Wine and More establishment. I have seen these six-packs even in grocery stores (Piggly Wiggly, Publix, etc.) so the Coors guys have done a very good job in not only making a good Belgian, but also making it available to the "common man". To those ends, this has become my "summer beer". It is refreshing while at the same time having a bit of body to it, rather than a quick and dirty common brew.

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

A - 1/2" off white head full of big bubbles. Hazy, golden-yellow color. Head recedes rapidly to a cap. No lace.

S - Delicate sour aroma. Hefe-style aroma.

T - Wheat. Banana. Grainy flavor (oats??). Not the most complex Belgian White, but not bad either.

M - Very full mouthfeel on entry. Medium carbonation.

D - Pretty drinkable and refreshing. Decent stab at a Belgian White.

3.84/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance: Beautiful cloludy-golden color with a decent foam head that formed

Smell: Nothing special here. A slight hint of peaches and cloves perhaps? Nothing overly dominate.

Taste: Excellent I must say. Impressive sweetness followed by a very fruity flavor. A bit watered down for my tastes to get a 4.5. Refreshing, but once it gets a bit warmer it gets rather hard to down.

Mouthfeel: Great. Fresh, yet coats the pallet. A wonderful aftertaste of peach.

Drinkability: I've had 3 of these tonight and each time it maintains its decency. A great American alternative.

Notes: From the Coors people, this is a great beer. I have heavily surprised like the Bro's said that it is from a micro-brewery such as that.

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

Milky, light orange with a small, white, tight, quickly diminishing head. The smell is of mild wheat with moderate-heavy citrus. Orange, lemon and strawberry and some light coriander and yeast. More of the same in the taste, except it’s a little more malty and sweet with more coriander. It’s not thin in the mouth but it tastes a little thin. Nothing great, but very refreshing and fairly enjoyable. Goes well with seafood.

3.4/5  rDev 0%

Appearance is cloudy & orange. Served with an orange slice on the rim of the glass, the beer is attractive to look at. The smell is or orange, and the taste also is citrusy with not much carbonation. This tastes almost like a mixed orange alcoholic drink than a beer, but is a nice change of pace. Enjoyed it more than Sam Adams White Ale, another Witbier. Mouthfeel is very good -- easy to drink & a nice, refreshing flavor. Glad I gave it a try.

4.52/5  rDev +32.9%

Appearance- honey but very cloudy with a 2-3 finger white head

Smell- Smells of fresh peaches and ones that are sweet.

Taste- Taste Green apple wiht a little bit of tartness. But to even it out a sweet peach taste.

Mouthfeel- Is like carbonated fruit juice with a very light feel and very smooth.

Drinkability- Very easy to drink. A beer for the summer and a beer that needs to be drank between 40-45 degrees f.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap with a slice of an orange.

It has a slightly copper color and an average size head. It really had a citrusy aroma (I know the orange had something to do with that). Being a Coors product, I was really impressed about how it actually tasted Belgian. The flavor has a little kick to it, as well. It was relatively smooth and drinkable.

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden-yellow with many excited bubbles rushing to the top of the snow-white head. Head is little but retains well throughout. Drifts of lace build as the glass empties.

Smell is a thick melange of spices (similar to Sam Adams White Ale) which waft to the nose like a floral-meets-mustard thing. It tells me summer is just around the corner.

The foamy head helps the flavor greet the mouth, and it tastes almost exactly as it smells: floral, somewhat tangy, thick with various spice essences. Also a good wheat essence, which I didn't pick up in the aroma.

Mouthfeel is creamier than your usual witbier, but it's a welcome addition to the flavor profile.

I can't believe I'm drinking a Coors product, and I can't believe a Coors product is actually decent. Gotta call 'em as I drink 'em, and for this one, I can only give Coors a thumbs up (almost makes me want to shudder...). Let it be a lesson: always look to the Belgians to steer you right on beer. Even Coors did well by doing so. Blue Moon has become less impressive to me over repeated tastings, but it has stiff competition from not only its much better Belgian counterparts, but from other U.S. micros that are more authentic. But for what it is, it's alright...I'm definitely not in the Blue Moon Hater camp.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I've had this numerous on tap and now from the bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a murky golden yellow with thin head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring around the glass where it stays.

Slight hints of citrus and wheat.

Mouth is thin but inviting and not too fizzy. Citrus notes dance on the tonque and the wheaty malts mingle in. A slighty yeast and dry citrus finish. Not quite bland, but not overly complex either.

I sometimes forget about this one. I had it numerous times and was always slightly intrigued, but not blown away. Only later learning it was by Coors and is considered a macro. This gives it a bit of an aura as the 'better of the worst' sort of thing and for that it is admirable. A good cheap backup but not something you'd seek out repeatedly. Certainly worth a try.

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance: So-so to good. Pretty average looking witbier. Cloudy pale yellow. Head disappeared pretty quickly.

Smell: Mildly fruity. Very pleasant and inoffensive.

Taste: Very refreshing and flavorful for a macro. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thin, although about what I expected.

Drinkability: Excellent. But what is witbier if not drinkable?

Overall, I was very impressed by this offering from Coors. I almost have trouble beleiving that they made this. I would definitely have another, in the event nothing better is around.

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

A hazy canary yellow with a head that quickly fades to fizz. There were also a few chunks of darker yellow yeast clumps that poured toward the end. The smell isn't bad -clearly wheaty and a hint of lemon. Tastes not-too-strong; not terribly challenging with a hint of lemon. Not the big spicy notes that I've come to expect in a Wit. Very mild and not bad, but not too exciting.

3.19/5  rDev -6.2%

Bottle Dated Aug 06
Poured a really hazy yellow/orange with a soda like head that disappated leaving next to nothing behind

Decent nose, It strongly smells like apricots to me, a bit of spice and very slight citrus notes.

A somewhat muted palette, but not offending at all. The apricot like flavors are present again.

Strange body kind of watery, but a bit thicker than water with a heavier amount of carbonation than expected.

All in all not that bad a beer for something brewed by coors...as far as macro's go this one is pretty wonderful, beats the pants of most swill, but I wouldn't drop change on these to often and I'm glad I got a really good deal on this sixer.

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz bottle stolen from a friend's fridge when the only other options were far crappier.

In my mind, this is a pretty average witbier. I know its sales are pretty good, and while it is made by BMC, I know a lot of macro drinkers who favor it. It is pretty mellow, even for a wit, but there is a very slight spiciness that flows throughout the sip. It is pretty sweet, but far from syrupy or unpleasant. On the whole, it is pretty drinkable and not budget-breaking, but there are other witbeers that I would purchase before Blue Moon.

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%

NOTE: I'm editing an earlier review, where I might have let some personal bias creep into the review.

OK. I'll say it. I don't want to like this beer because it is brewed by Coors, a company that has posed numerous affronts to my social sensibilities.

That said, I kind of like this beer. Like another Coors product, Killian's, a 6 of these shows up in my fridge from time to time, courtesy of my wife. I suspect she finds these beers more exotic than the standard macro, and not as pricey as the standard micro. She might be onto something.

The earlier review said:
Blue Moon Wit appears slightly cloudy, gold.

Slight spice to smell and taste differentiates this from what would otherwise be a very ordinary beer. I was thinking coriander? In any event, it is not very bold, so it is easy to categorize this as an ordinary beer.

To this, I will add:
There is a nice delicate sweetness to the malt, I guess it is wheat malt, that you don't find in an ordinary macro. I find it really refreshing. On this warmish spring day, where I am working outside doing the lawn and garden routine, I found myself craving this beer. So I put 2 in the fridge and am enjoying. Hence, increased taste and drinkability in this edited review.

I'll probably never buy Coors products myself, choosing to support a true micro, or at least, a more regional micro (e.g., Leinies, Point), if I am feeling cheap or the selection is limited. Still, I gotta give this one it's due.

3.8/5  rDev +11.8%

I had this beer at a local bar & grill, served from the bottle in an unchilled glass with a slice of orange, which really is typical of how wheat beers are served in Europe.

The appearance is cloudy, typical of the style. It has medium/high carbonation that produces a nice head that resides a bit after a few minutes to a small lacey ring. The aroma is malty with a hit of hops and also citrusy (probably accented by the orange. The flavor is definately a wheat malt with some hop bitterness afterward. The orange really brings the citrus flavors along. It has a medium body typical of a wheat, very pleasant.

This is a good session beer. It's flavorful, but not overwhelming. The orange added is a very nice touch. Good for a spring or summer day or evening.

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

My girlfriend was coming over for dinner and promised to pickup something "good" at the beer distributor and arrived at my home with a six pack of these... I tried not to hurt her feelings but I was a little let down. I actually don't hate this beer, it's actually pretty decent for a macro, especially from Coors. What it is not, however, is a great Witbier.
Moderately colored, cloudy body with no head and a pleasant but faint odor of citrus and yeast. Accurate enough for the style, but a bit dull, with no real head or lacing or "sparkling quality" you sometimes see in the style.
Sip is round and has broad wheat and citrus flavors although seems to be hamstrung by overcarbonation. Mouthfeel isn't too watery but that may be due to the bubbles.
This is drinkable stuff although it would have to be a pretty weak selection for me to choose this at a bar or beer distributor.

4.57/5  rDev +34.4%

Appearance- cloudy gold, very appealing.

Smell- very sweet and calk full of malt. Coriander is present as well. I agree with the bro.

Taste- delicious, smooth and malted. Very sweet and fruity. (where does the fruit come from? Anyone...)

Mouthfeel- slightly thick when talking American brews of this color, but very pleasant.

Drinkability- very easy to drink, I did a six pack in forty five minutes. All of Coors beers seam to have an easy drinking beverage in mind when creating a beer. A definite quencher. Come summer time and the heat is on, I will be found in a blue haze. (sorry Jimmy)

Very good beer. Easy to drink and equally unique. Often served with an orange this adds a little to the sweetness and also makes the drinking more fun in a corny way. This beer is quite tasty and should be explored if you like sweet brews. Taste identical to Sam Adams White Ale...

3.85/5  rDev +13.2%

Had one at the Atlas Diner with dinner. Served ice-cold with a thin slice of orange laid flat that completely covered the surface of the glass. (So much for seeing what kind of head this beer has). The head was a thin covering after I removed the offending orange slice. Color was hazy orange. Not much nose. The taste was very pleasant. The sweetness is not overpowering and the fruity tastes is very mild. The bitterness in the followup taste is good, gives the beer some character. Drinkability is good, I could see myself having a few on a hot day or with food. I had a St Bernardus Witbier once and this is not the same thing. That being said, it is still a big improvement on Coor's Lite. Good on ya Coors, you can make a beer with some actual flavor.

Blue Moon Belgian White from Coors Brewing Company