Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale - Coors Brewing Company

Beer added by: Syncro-Vox on 05-31-2014

to view more.
Ratings: 266 | Reviews: 50
Reviews by Knuckles_Nuclear:

ummmm...i'm only putting this review in to remind me never to drink this again

3.98/5  rDev +26.3%

Never had saison, but I imagine like any of the BMC offerings in their "styles" this is an interesting introduction. I enjoyed the tartness and the pepper notes. I taste a bit of lemony zest with what I describe as a wheat taste. Considering I only know blue moon for their wheat beer, I'm not surprised honestly. It also reminds me a bit of Chimay. I imagine it is the yeast. For not knowing what a Siason is suppose to taste like, I am now interested even if this is a gateway. I'm usually a hop head and a stout-monger; it's nice to find something new to adventure into.

From a sampler pack at a neighborhood party. I concur with the review by beergoot. Reminded me of a light version of Monk's Flemish Sour Ale. Very enjoyable and I will definitely seek this one, if affordable, out as I am a fan of the style.

3.26/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Amber hued with a half inch head of tiny beige colored creamy suds on top. Light Brussels lacing. Aroma of pepper is prominent along with light malt. The pepper is dominant on the front of the palate. It is also dominating the fade,but there is some light malt to smooth it out. The mouth is smooth and creamy.

Not bad for a red, but there are better alternatives.

2.83/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance - Pours a relatively clear reddish copper color with a finger width beige head that fizzes away like soda, leaving only a patch of suds on the surface. Lacing is small and spotty with no stick.

Smell - A predominant wheat aroma with a light fruity sourness and slight spice.

Taste - Wheat hits first, then a lemony sourness. Slight spice and apple sweetness near the finish. Bland wheat aftertaste once the sourness fades.

Mouthfeel - Light, watery body with prickly carbonation.

Overall - A particularly uninspiring brew for what, at least on paper, sounds like an interesting hybrid. Not well executed, resulting in a pretty simple flavor profile for what should have been expected, and it leaves much to be desired. In the least it's drinkable, but most beers are.

2.5/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

got it for free still didnt drink it all

3.42/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I'm sure this gets a bad wrap here because it's Blue Moon, but this is actually a decent beer. Certainly not everything you'd expect in a flanders red, but enjoyable nonetheless. Light and smooth with slightly prickly carbonation and just a little tartness in the finish. Overall flavor is on the tame side, but still pleasant. Not ashamed to admit I've enjoyed several of these recently. Used a bottle to slow-cook a pork loin and it resulted in the best pulled pork I've ever made.

3.7/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale brewed By Coors brewing Company. This brew pours out a light brown color with a small white head. The smell of this brew is corn and grains. You also pick up on some bitterness in this brew. Now for the taste of this brew, it is smooth but rich. There is a hit of spice at the end. This brew is different from most brews I had. There is nothing over powering in this brew. I kinda like this brew. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth and refreshing. Overall I'm giving this brew a 4 out of 5. I would get this brew again.

The nose is weak sour vinegar, caramel malt, apple juice and pear. The flavor is a bit off as the tart is sort of sour and not a puckering Flanders type of tart. This is more malty than most of either advertised style. It has an apple juice sweetness and is incredibly thin.

Blue Moon products are usually above average and good examples for the price but this missed the mark.

3.34/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed from the 12 oz bottle, this saison pours a brilliant clear ruby red with a very nice frothy foam head and spotty lacing. Nose of caramel malts, some yeast esters, and some light pepper notes. Flavors are sweet with a balanced tartness and a light pepper flavor in the back along with some yeast undertones. Decent for what it is, a stepping stone towards other styles. For that they should be praised, for making a Saison they miss the mark.

3.53/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a caramel color with amber hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of spices, yeast, fruit. Taste is cherry, light spice, a bit of hops, very easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle marked FEB0915-CO5101734. Sampled on October 3, 2014.

Reddish brown pour with a short lived off-white head. Good clarity.

The aroma is more like caramel malts with a touch of dark fruit. I think I expected something more from the style.

Light to medium body.

The taste is quite sweet and caramel-like more than fruit and spice.

3.4/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale from Coors Brewing Company, on sale at the local grocer. Eh, what the Hell, right? Poured from the bottle into a glass, this has got a 3/4 finger thick head, dark copper transparent body, and somewhat decent lacing.

I can't process what it is that I'm smelling. Not very strong a scent, I can tell you that. Hmm...Not bad, but nothing heavenly. I'm fairly neutral here.

Initial taste is like a nicely-done shandy or radler with its clean tartness. There is also a faint sweetness throughout that I can't really say WHERE it is, exactly, it is coming from. All in all a very balanced brew with its mysterious components doing the job quite nicely. Clean,dry finish.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp. Blue Moon Farmhouse Red has zero lingering elements for me. Quite refreshing for Ohio's asphyxiating humidity during the dog days of summer.

Overall a respectable 3.5 for Blue Moon Farmhouse Red Ale from Coors Brewing Company. This was my first of this seemingly revivalist style of brew. But hey, its back for a reason! I may buy this brew again.

2.39/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Really sour tasting. Not a fan.

2.57/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter.

2.25 A: Clear light amber color. One finger of foamy light tan head that falls as quickly as it forms.

2.75 S: Tangy toastiness with caramel. Tart apple. Simple, but not too bad. Doesn't smell like a saison at all though. It may smell like a dilute flanders beer though.

2.5 T: Tastes like it smells, but even weaker. Toast, caramel, a touch of tart fruit. Ehhh.

2.75 M: Light body. Good moderate carbonation. Just the slightest creaminess.

2.5 D: It's not terrible, it's just not very flavorful. It should do well with it's targeted audience though. It's neutral and not powerful enough to overwhelm the taste buds.

2.48/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's kind of bland to my tastes. Not bad, just okay.

2.56/5  rDev -18.7%

Great looking brew, but not enjoying the taste of the red/sasion mixture

2.99/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

No clear bottling date.

Appearance: Cloudy caramel color with a bit of a maroon tint. Sudsy two-finger off-white head.

Aroma: Dry spice, bread.

Taste: This beer is all over the place. There is a leading prune flavor above crisp hop bitterness as well as an odd tartness. I imagine the prune/fruity flavors come from the yeast esters as the hop character is more earthy. The malt presence is bigger than I expected but doesn't have much flavor apart from light caramel. All the flavors just come together strangely and don't quite mesh. The finish is uninteresting and leads to a prickly aftertaste. Not sure they got it right with either of the styles they were trying to make a hybrid of here.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium and a bit heavy on the carbonation. Decent drinkability.

Final Thoughts: Blue Moon bunts it with another confusing and thoroughly overthought brew. I can't imagine anyone fool enough to buy this more than once. I only came across the single bottle from a beer trade with friends, friends who don't know much about beer. But I also think Blue Moon is comparable to dishwater. Would I drink it again? Ah, no.

2.3/5  rDev -27%

12 oz bottle poured into a pub-style pint glass.

Appearance
Reddish-amber with 1 finger of creamy head. Excellent clarity with light carbonation.

Nose
Caramel, apple, earth, and aluminum.

Taste
Caramel, earth, and metal. Some apple notes. Strange black pepper notes like they used actual table pepper instead of utilizing the Saison yeast.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied, crisp, and semi-drying from the spice.

Overall
A poor Saison. As for the Flanders component, I'm pretty sure Miller-Coors has no idea what a Flanders Red is.

3.73/5  rDev +18.4%

"An intreguing interpretation of a Saison blended with a...(Farmhouse Red)...Flanders-Style Red Ale, with hints of white pepper and a tart finish." (verbatim)

Let's see if they're bluffing. Of course I don't know because I've never had a Saison.

Serving style : 12 oz glass bottle poured for appearance.

Appearance (3) : Caramel color, light body and transparent, with a three finger sudsy off-white head. Minimal lacing and odd moldy-looking top (again).

Smell (3.5) : Smells like a sour amber lager. A little wet towel. Much like Batch 19 or Fat Tire. Notes of damp moldy wheat, cracked barley, malts, some banana, light boysenberry, soaked grass.

Taste (4) : Surprisingly great. Full of flavor and it has a great finish. I'm getting granola, ripe/juicy grape tomato (when you bite into it and it squirts ripe tomato juice), green bell pepper, hints of walnut, a little bit of rye bread. Some tart berry flavor faintly floats in. Sour and tart meet spice. Finish is superb and aftertaste is great. I'm not sure how Saisons are SUPPOSED to taste, but if they're like this, then I'm in!

I also had an apple picked fresh from our apple tree (braeburns are the closest I can think of) and this beer complimented that nicely. So yep, there's some apple going on here.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Wet and slippery with a very slightly papery dry finish. Carbonation is in the middle of the body and seems appropriately placed.

Overall (3.73) : I almost want to say that this is a Clamato done right. Insomuch as, I don't like Clamato but I do like the ripe tomato tartness that's here. The spice and the tart come together nicely and the over-ripe tomato just makes it exciting. Slight sourness that gives it a kick. Not sure if I taste the white pepper but I'm sure it's in there somewhere. I'd buy a sixer of just THIS type of Blue Moon. Forget the variety pack. This is a good one, right here.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Mildy impressed. Enjoyed the hints of sour. Would not turn this down, if it was the only beer in town.

3.84/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Ok beer but, I was expecting more from it.

3.25/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Aan Amber colored beer, this brew has a medium white head and is essentially clear. The smell is a of fruit, with a little twang. A bit of sour notes in the taste, along with an underlying sweetness. Medium malt flavor...which comes out more in the smell after a few sips. Medium to light up n body. Okay.

2.02/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Not great ! Not as bad as the blue moon original, I didn't even drink that one but I think I really just forced this down so I would convince my self to buy another sampler 12. THe others are soooo good! I will try to give this away or cook with it. Not drinking it again! GROSS!

to view more.