Coors - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Alström Bros
Reviews: 657 | Hads: 2,637
2.2/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

appearance-looks like budwieser which i just reviewed. very clear and golded with lots of carbonation.

smell-smells like beer but its the adjuct is noticable. im not beer geek but i can tell that theres corn in this beer.

taste-first sip i was in love but after that id say coors banquet tastes like beer but in a bad way in my opinion. i was able to finish 8 but i would not buy again.

feel-very fizzy

overall-i would not by again. doesnt taste good in my opinion. if i was free i would have it. now that i think of it i think i will buy a tall boy of it one of these weekends and give it another shot.

3.33/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

(12 oz can poured into shaker)

L: fizzy little head fizzes out in record time and leaves not even a collar... the liquid is clear, very pale brassy yellow... unappealing - beer shouldn't be this pale and transparent... no lacing

S: mellow malty aroma with just the slightest toasty, grainy edge to it... very floral-cleanser overtones while the foam is there... not all that bad, but certainly weakened due to no foam... the warmer it gets, the more I detect a malt liquor type of scent

T: malty in the way that a cheap malt liquor or an NA beer tastes... mild-to-(relatively)moderate syrup-sweetish plain granola finish... as it warms, there emerges perhaps a mild grassy bitterness, but all in all the balance seems to be quite tipped toward the watery malt

F: delicately fizzy on the edges, packs a good bit of gas in the back end... rather light, almost extra light, dry body... the carbonation comes across, coupled with the lighter body, almost like a weak soda pop

O: I've only had this 2-3 times over all these years - always thought it was decent for what it was... last time I had it was on draft in a plastic cup at a Broncos game in Denver and that was marginally more enjoyable than what came out of this can - meaning, I would imagine that was fresher(?) - who knows?

3.07/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Lots of bubbles, not much smell, standard adjunct lager taste, light feel. Overall not too bad for what it's meant to be. A good price for a decent beer. I rated this about the same as Miller High Life because I think they both stand neck to neck. I would only choose one over the other based on price. Considering they are both cheap, I'm fairly happy with either.

2.94/5  rDev +9.7%

First time ever having "the Banquet Beer," from one of the 24-ounce cans which were on sale at a local Sheetz. Date on the bottom says December 14th, 2015 -- assuming that's a Best By unless I somehow ended up with beer from the future.

First thing that strikes me about its appearance is the massive, audibly-fizzing white head of foam that forms upon pouring into my pint glass; I had to wait for it to shrink a bit before I could pour a bit more and get something closer to a full glass's worth. Once poured, though, this foam shrinks away pretty rapidly; in just the time it took me to type this much, it's shriveled away into a thin patchy coating on the surface with a thicker, bubblier ring around the edge. Did leave a few traces behind as it went. Color is an incredibly pale and incredibly clear yellow; definitely among the palest-colored beers I've seen. There's some bubbles rising up constantly from the bottom, too. On the second pour from the big can, a smaller but still decent head forms but then rapidly fizzles out into absolutely nothing, not even leaving the thin layer on top like the first time.

Smell was slightly troubling when I sniffed the can shortly after opening (a lot of the weird sweetness that I've noticed in some of my least-favorite beers), but after pouring and settling in the glass it seems to have improved a good bit. It's mostly a grainy/corn-like smell, with maybe a slight undertone of that weird sweetness in the background, but just barely. Kind of a musty smell to it, also -- actually reminds me a bit of a dusty basement, weirdly enough. The musty smell seems to replace the weird sweetness after a while. It's not entirely pleasant, but it's not awful either.

Taste is similar to the smell -- grain, corn, a little on the sweet side but not drastically so. There's a bit more of that funky sweetness in the taste now than in the smell, but not enough to make it unpleasant, and interestingly that seems to blend in better or even vanish altogether after about half of the glass is emptied out. Maybe the tiniest hint of bitterness on the end? It does seem to get a little drier right near the end of a gulp too, which actually works pretty well. It's decent enough to be drinkable, but nothing really special.

Feel is very light and fizzy. Incredibly easy to drink multiple big gulps in a row. Fizziness doesn't quite get to the point of being prickly most of the time despite being VERY fizzy, so I'll give it points for that, but again... nothing really special here.

Overall, this isn't bad but there's really nothing too special about it either -- just an all-around average cheap American lager, definitely better than something like a Bud Light but not up to par with PBR or Yuengling. Not a whole lot to say, overall, though I am finding myself liking it more after drinking a decent bit of it than I thought I would when I first cracked open the big can. I'd say it's worth a try if you're not completely AAL-intolerant, especially if you find it on sale for a good price, but not something I'd go out of my way for.

1.69/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Rating to style, this still kind of misses the boat on a few areas. While the look starts out well, it fizzes down to a headless wonder fairly quickly while maintaining a little bit of a sickly, dirty pale yellow. Aroma isn't too far off from where you'd find most any AAL, which is to say a slight sweetness amongst a hard to define bitter but mostly grainy presence. Taste is where it departs from what I think an AAL "standard" should represent. It has hints of something metallic but overall a syrupy corn sweetness which is off putting once this gets any bit warmer than ice cold. Perhaps this is why they encourage drinking when the mountains are blue. They just need to reinforce speed with that advice.

2.2/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

For some reason, my roommate has been drinking this lately. I'm obliging my curiosity, now much to my own consternation. Pours clear yellow with a short, unlacing "head" which is more just carbonation. Reminiscent of the that moment during a pee where there's a small bit of brief pee-froth which quickly dissipates as one continues to pee. Smells vaguely of unkempt, but well-meaning grandma. Similar flavor with added notes of corn long off the cob and mouthfeels of regret Overall, do not like. Will not drink again.

2.08/5  rDev -22.4%

One of the most bizarre events in the 1970s was the smuggling of Coors. Coors had no East Coast distribution and with all the regulations of beer circa 1973 and whatnot, people were loading it in their luggage and shipping it to government officials in Washington D.C., and all sorts of stuff. Then Coors got national distribution and every one figured out pretty quickly that it's no good. The 1970s were such a wasteland that people went extreme to get Coors. Wow. Rocky Mountain marketing worked great.

Coors looks good - better than Bud or Miller. It's golden in color, not as pale as Bud. The color suggests quality. Coors also foams up a head well, although corn neither retains nor laces. Make no mistake, this is an adjunct-laden brew. The Germans may say it's not beer, but it passed in my high school.

The smell is relatively strong - a grain, mineral and chemical smell mixed with can. It's Coors, okay? It smells that way on purpose.

Coors' flavor is typical of industrial corn brews. Keep it as cold as ice, in other words. The taste is a mix of mineral, chemical, and vegetable. No animal, thankfully. When cold enough, it goes down like water.

Coors is very light in texture. It's basically like water.

In sum, don't drink Coors. Sam Adams Boston Lager is almost certainly available in that bar where you are considering ordering Coors - and Sam Adams is a great lager. If you want to drink a lager with a huge marketing budget, just don't think any money went into ingredients or flavor. Imho, Budweiser is the best industrial brew, simply because rice is a better way to adulterate barley. Bud lacks the faint garbage taint found in Coors and Miller, which I suspect derives from the corn and corn syrup. Ultimately, that debate is like picking which of the Monkees was the greatest musical artist.

3.04/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured a light golden hue with a head that quickly disappeared. Smelled sweet with hints of grain and corn. Tasted the same way. Refreshing but there are better AALs out there.

2.54/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours the exact color of urine with a tiny flash of a head that leaves no lacing.

Smells like old succotash.

Tastes sweet and grainy, with an unpleasant astringency at the front. The aftertaste is grassy, tastes like chewing on sweet grasses, chewing on a hay stalk.

Relatively creamy and smooth mouthfeel, prickly carbonation, tongue coating.

Reviewing this beer is a novelty, I just figured I'd give it a shot. Part of an AAL tasting. Better than I remember other AALs being, but this is only the first of 6. On to Budweiser!

2.76/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Decided to revisit this after not having had it for many years. Sampled on 8/1/15, bottled on 7/27/15 (or is that a "best by" date?). Poured from 12-oz bottle into plastic cup. Appearance is light amber (think urine) with a pretty good soap-sudsy-looking white head. Not too much going on aroma-wise, better than some AAL's but still a detectable dank odor. There is a little more depth to the flavor here compared to some other AAL's. Overall not too bad, pretty refreshing on a hot August day.

2.91/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

High-clarity, well-worn-golden appearance, buoyant with fast-and-fat bubbling a, thin-trimmed with a very white rim of head, within which traces of expressed carbonation swirl. "It smells like beer," for better or worse, is probably the most that can be said of Banquet's aromas—but neither do that have that stale, spilled-on-a-stadium-floor stank of many adjunct lagers (particularly those of the "lite" variety). And, poured out its stubby, "vintage" bottle into an authentically-1980s-vintage Coors-stylized stubby mug, it honestly doesn't present an uninviting façade.

The addition of corn to the grain-bill is the prominent adjunct, with a substantial creaminess that takes this larger pretty near the frontiers of a cream-ale; it's held back from going that far, however, by a dryness that's presumably carried through by a conservative dosing of rice. The other flavor qualities, too, are otherwise smooth: a bit of that lagery yeast-fruit quality, very minor malt bite, and a mouth-feel that's thin overall but actually somewhat thick and velvety for a macro-adjunct. Yes, there's a bit more wateriness than one would ideally want, but—all-in-all—Banquet is a fairly sessionable, solid enough cheapo/macro six-pack.

There are beers one would quite seriously serve at a banquet—and Coors Banquet is definitively not one of them—but one could do much worse wandering craft-bereft aisles in search of *something* fermented, at least partially, from malts.

2.06/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance: Clear piss yellow. Huge white head but, unusually, no visible lacing.

Aroma: Very subtle and nonexistent odor here. I get almost nothing. Hmm.

Taste: Light in body, and actually not too bad. I get no lingering aftertaste — no hops nor malts, just water. Drinkable, yes, but beer — not quite. Beer-flavored water to be more precise.

I’m mixed on this one. As an American adjunct lager, this one’s refreshing enough, but without some semblance of taste or hops, this one fails.

2.6/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Watery but with more flavor and sweetness than, say, a Bud. Had a rounded feel, light malt and hop flavors; easy drinking with no bad aftertaste. Among the AAL types, this is a reasonable drink.

2.51/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bright yellow with some head that is disappearing as I type. And now it's gone. Smells slightly yeasty, which is not something I'm a fan of. But it isn't overpowering, so it's pretty innocuous overall. Tastes okay. It isn't particularly good, but not bad either. It's slightly sweet then mellows out and leaves a slightly bitter aftertaste. I'm pleased it's not one note, which is what I expected. Unfortunately, the longer it sits in your mouth between sips, the worse it starts to taste. Much better mouthfeel than its competitors (Bud/Coors/Miller family mainstream lagers). Has some body, but not much. Well into "average" in that category. Overall, I'm impressed for what it is, but not in comparison to decent lagers. I'll pass on this from now on.

3.12/5  rDev +16.4%

A - White frothy head that dissipates to almost nothing very quickly. Clear. Straw in color with fast rising carbonation. 3.25/5

S - Corn, white bread, even a little green apple aroma. Grassy hops. 3/5

T - Light maltiness. Some corn. Just a hint of sweetness. Cereal. Hops come across as more herbal than grassy. 3.25/5

M - Light bodied. Scrubbing bubbles sensation. Disappears very quickly. 3/5

O - Enjoyable light bodied beer, especially on a hot day with or without food. 3/5

3.96/5  rDev +47.8%

Pours golden straw in color, white head, decent lacing, crisp malt flavor, subtle bittering from the hops, and clean lager flavor. This is an American lager and it tastes exactly like an american lager should taste. Light, crisp, refreshing, consistent.

2.61/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Picked up an aluminum pint at my nearest gas station. Best by date states it's good for another couple of months. Poured right from the fridge into a pint glass.

L: Pours a clear apple juice/golden straw color with about a half-inch of white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass. Moderate visible carbonation.

S: Almost nothing in the nose. If I really strain, I can get a little bit of bready malt.

T: Hate to say it, but the taste follows the nose pretty closely: there's isn't much of a flavor profile to speak of. The tongue registers sweet at the front, but it's a very diffuse flavor--maybe some malt, maybe some corn, maybe some rice. The middle has a building of the sweet, but this rings more of the adjunct ingredients, predominantly corn. The back end has just a bit of tartness and a bit more of the sweet. The aftertaste might have just the tiniest hint of bitter.

F: Light-bodied, moderately effervescent, and fairly clean-finishing.

O: If I'm looking for a beer to cool me off and quench my thirst, this one would do just fine. Other than that, I can't say much about it because there really isn't a whole lot there to experience.

2.88/5  rDev +7.5%

I get why people hate this beer. Truth is I used to as well. I'm not sure if it is just getting older or having tried every beer under the sun it seems like in the last 10 years and just getting palate fatigue, but I drink the heck out of this stuff these days.

While I still love stouts, porters, IPAs, trappists, and a myriad of other beers, sometimes I just want something cheap and simple. I reach for Coors for the same reason I reach for a good cheeseburger - I'm not looking for craft or to have my mind blown. I'm just looking to suck down something familiar and unwind a little.

Additionally, I'm not a fan of light beers, but I have had to become a hair more conscious of the calories stacking up as my 30s press on. My days of downing a four pack of Dogfish Head 90 minute and the subsequent 1200 calories are a bit behind me. Unfortunately, the American craft word is cuckoo for IPAs still, and while there are some good things going on with lagers and session ales, they are few and far between still at the local megamart. Seriously - I can walk across the street to HEB and find probably 20 different craft IPAs but not much in the way of lagers aside from the usual macros. Luckily, more session IPAs seem to be coming to market, but even so, sometimes I just want that white-bread-hint-of-mold drinkability of an adjunct lager. In my opinion, Coors does that better than anybody. Better than Budweiser, and don't even get me started on High Life.

And if you hate that, I get you and probably can't argue any of your points away. Coors is a Wendy's cheeseburger, a Clive Cussler novel, as summer blockbuster, or a Katy Perry single - not exactly high art. However, I contend sometimes you don't want high art. Sometimes you want mindless entertainment; sometimes you just want something cold and familiar.

3.65/5  rDev +36.2%

This beer is the quintessential "session" beer. Good taste, cheap as hell, and easily accessible. The only thing bad about Banquet, is the reputation it's gotten (based only on price...in my opinion).

I don't mind this beer for an AAL. I wouldn't choose it for a last meal or anything, but it's not bad for the price. I didn't say its good, either, though.

2.15/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Very clear, quickly dissipating head. Smells of sweet apples. Little bit of grainy flavor similar to a Grain belt but not as pronounced. Creamier mouthfeel compared to other American Lagers.

2.09/5  rDev -22%

I like it a lot. Period.

1.34/5  rDev -50%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I am tired of being forced to write reviews.

My Dad always said was upholding a lifelong boycott ever since 1966... guess it wasn't only about the racism.

3.05/5  rDev +13.8%

12oz throwback bottles consumed yesterday while painting.
Pale yellow decent head. Grainy corny with a hint of sweetness. Easy to drink a bit watery, but did the trick.

4.33/5  rDev +61.6%

A perfect beer for what it is. Nice flavor and easy refreshing reliable stand-by. Sometimes I don't want to roll the dice after I'm done cutting the grass.

Coors from Coors Brewing Company