2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Coors - Coors Brewing Company

CoorsCoors

poor

poor

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
Ratings: 1,845 | Reviews: 575 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by pukahi91:
pukahi91

Hawaii

01-06-2013 03:25:42 | More by pukahi91
kojevergas

2.5/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Traded a bottle of Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat to my flatmate for a can of this. I consider that a great trade. Canned April 07, 2014. Can is aluminum, with an appealing label I'm sure has gone through many a focus group. Served cold (per the asinine blue mountain temperature system, as opposed to "super cold" - can you hear my eyes rolling?). 5% ABV. This is one of the retro-looking Coors Banquet cans. Apparently the Rocky Mountain Water [sic] lends it a "Legendary Taste." I'm from Colorado, so this will be interesting. Expectations are below average. Reviewed as an adjunct lager given common sense.

Side-poured lightly into an Independence brewing pilsner glass as overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a three finger wide head of white colour. Fluffy but thin. Lacks creaminess and full frothiness. No lacing clings to the glass as it recedes. Head retention is average - about 2 minutes. Consistency could be fuller and more inviting. Complexion is subpar.

Body colour is a clear translucent yellow. It's thin and weak looking, but not as severely so as most adjunct lagers. Subpar vibrance. Appears overcarbonated. It's clean looking, if perhaps a bit watery - I don't see any yeast particulate or hop sediment.

Overall, it's looking pretty standard for an adjunct lager - mass produced or otherwise. I've seen far worse head retention - even in craft brews below this ABV - and the body could be worse. Not an off-putting appearance by any means, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

Sm: I'm probably way off the mark, but I'm finding flaked oat and flaked wheat in addition to the requisite graininess - which while cereal-dominant, isn't as off-putting as it could be. Clean malted barley is featured here, and along with the corn adjunct lends the aroma that bland depleted character we've all come to expect from macrobrews. I also find it too sweet for an adjunct lager.

Hop character? None. At least nothing noteworthy. I suspect some Saaz was used.

What I'm really missing is any kind of crisp full pilsner malt foundation.

No yeast character or overt alcohol is detectable.

Sure, it's not a great aroma, but I've experienced far worse. It isn't medicinal or infected or anything like that, and there are no egregious off-notes. Maybe some mild diacetyl, but I doubt it given the brewery (say what you will, but they're damned consistent). I guess it's just a light buttery character.

It's an inoffensive aroma of average strength.

T: The corn adjunct is pretty noticeable. The biggest issue here is actually the overdone sweetness. The generic malted barley feels bland and depleted - like any flavour the barley might have had was sucked out of it somehow. I don't find any noticeable hop character. It's a bit buttery, to its detriment. I'm not finding the fresh crisp pilsner malt body I crave, but I guess if that's what I want I should crack open a proper pilsner.

Shallow depth of flavour. Below average flavour duration. Average flavour intensity (for the style).

No yeast character, egregious off-flavours, or overt alcohol comes through.

It's not really a well-balanced beer, which is a bit shocking given how little is going on here. I'd probably prefer an even blander adjunct lager to the off-putting sweetness featured here. There's no complexity, subtlety, nuance, or intricacy here, but the build is quite cohesive. It's not a gestalt beer.

I suppose it does a fair amount with only a few ingredients, and as a homebrewer I can respect that.

Mf: Overcarbonated, absolutely. It's lightly coarse on the palate, which accompanies the overcarbonation bite in a surprisingly complementary fashion. I'll take this weird coarseness over the disgusting syrupy slick texture of more inferior adjunct lagers any day. It's wet, but feels too "empty" to really refresh. Has a depleted feel, like it's the shell of a real beer. It's a bit syrupy, and I find it too thick for the absence of flavour, but it isn't as sticky as I expected. Overall presence on the palate is poor. But I suppose this texture matches the taste in the sense that both are low quality.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

In its defense, it's not watery - which is a big improvement over most beers in the style.

Dr: Of course it's drinkable, but I've had far more flavorful and refreshing beers in the style - many of which are available around this price point (Trader Joe's stocks some contract brews which are superior). I'm glad I sat down to give this beer its fair shake; it's not a terrible brew by any means, and I think many reviewers will shit on it just because it's Coors. But in a blind adjunct lager test, I think most discerning drinkers would put this in the middle of the pack. While I won't be buying it anytime soon, I have no doubt I'll be drinking it again many times prior to my death.

High D+

Maryland

04-23-2014 17:28:18 | More by JOldewurtel
TheHammer

Ontario (Canada)

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

So it's been six months since Coors banquet has graced Canada...so yeah that's a thing...onto the review.

Appearance: A clear golden body that boasted a strong finger and a half of head that did not lace but did manage to keep a consistent layer of carbonation to hide the body from the top at least.

Smell: It smells...I guess like pond water. Not quite the refreshing breeze of lake water, but neither the swampy moss smell of swamp water. Somewhere in between. There's a note of wet corn husk also in there in the background. Can't really say there's a lot of desirable smell going on here, it's not really offensive, but I suspect it will be watered down.

Taste: This kinda strikes me as a meet in the middle adjunct. I mean the ever present sweet corn taste is there, but it's not out of control as a milder boiled barley taste is present that sorta brings it more towards a more desirable lager as the beer goes on. Barest kick of mossy hops at the end which carry a slight metallic tinge to the experience, but not an outrageous one.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation does help out the entire beer, which is rare in a beer of this style. The beer is very crisp and leaves a mild sweet corn and barley aftertaste that sadly near the end begins to tack on a metallic afterthought.

Drinkability: This beer doesn't settle down as well as it should, as it leaves me a bit gassy. Light bodied and refreshing so a great summer drinker, but less I'd inclined for the winter months. For some reason I can see it going hand in hand with shellfish for some reason.

Final Thoughts: The "Banquet Beer" as it's currently being advertised here offers a revelation to it's name. How many Banquets have you been to, where the food alright or good but certainly wasn't exceptional? Myself, not a lot as the cooks generally need to make enough food quickly for everyone. See the parallel on this one? So Coors is an alright beer, but if not for being a large producer whose name you cannot escape, it is a rather unremarkable beer. It's certainly not an unquaffable brew, but really this beer exemplifies a just plain average beer.

04-23-2014 01:57:59 | More by TheHammer

3.25/5  rDev +28%

04-15-2014 07:18:31 | More by djchrismac
hoffhin2

3.54/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: light to golden yellow colored, very small head that dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell: corn and some malts, not a whole lot of smell to this beer.

Taste: sugary, i think there is a taste of honey to it (may just be sweetness of the beer), no bitterness

Overall: I enjoyed it, one of the first beers I ever had and its amazing that I use to think this beer was hard to drink because now for as much as I have learned, this beer is crisp and really light relatively speaking. Not a bad beer.

04-14-2014 19:28:48 | More by hoffhin2

millertime5125

04-11-2014 13:50:37 | More by millertime5125
McStagger

2.3/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

A: Two fingers of large bubbled white head. Vigorous carbonation. Rapid dissipation. Minimal lacing. Golden color.

S: Metallic tin, cornflakes. Very slight spicy hoppiness. Terrible adjunt is written all over this.

T: Big cornflake hit up front. Seriously, like corn chex mix. Metallic taste afterwords. Proceeds to sweet corn grits. Bit of white grape in the finish, but this one is adjunct city.

M: The only redeeming quality of this beer. All that corn sugar gives it a decent mouthfeel.

O: I'm pissed that I payed a buck a can for this. Buy subpremium brands. This difference between this and PBR is minimal. PBR sucks, but so does this beer. At least try to get what you pay for.

04-11-2014 07:33:37 | More by McStagger
DrBass

Maryland

1.5/5  rDev -40.9%

04-11-2014 04:27:54 | More by DrBass
ChristopherWIU-UTPA

2.53/5  rDev -0.4%

Coors Banquet Beer which is also known as Coors Original is decent big brand beer that competes well with Miller and Budweiser products. It pours real pale yellow, very little head (soapy in appearance), and the carbonation dissipated real quick. Surprisingly, there was no metallic taste with this beer, it is watery, and has a malty, corn taste. It is not filling and goes good with food. Nothing sets it apart from other big brands, other than it is the last wholly own big brand company because Miller (SABMiller) and AB (InBev) are both foreign controlled.

04-10-2014 15:40:51 | More by ChristopherWIU-UTPA