Coors - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Alström Bros
Reviews: 645 | Hads: 2,565
2.06/5  rDev -25.9%

Appearance: Clear piss yellow. Huge white head but, unusually, no visible lacing.

Aroma: Very subtle and nonexistent odor here. I get almost nothing. Hmm.

Taste: Light in body, and actually not too bad. I get no lingering aftertaste — no hops nor malts, just water. Drinkable, yes, but beer — not quite. Beer-flavored water to be more precise.

I’m mixed on this one. As an American adjunct lager, this one’s refreshing enough, but without some semblance of taste or hops, this one fails. (499 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Watery but with more flavor and sweetness than, say, a Bud. Had a rounded feel, light malt and hop flavors; easy drinking with no bad aftertaste. Among the AAL types, this is a reasonable drink. (194 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bright yellow with some head that is disappearing as I type. And now it's gone. Smells slightly yeasty, which is not something I'm a fan of. But it isn't overpowering, so it's pretty innocuous overall. Tastes okay. It isn't particularly good, but not bad either. It's slightly sweet then mellows out and leaves a slightly bitter aftertaste. I'm pleased it's not one note, which is what I expected. Unfortunately, the longer it sits in your mouth between sips, the worse it starts to taste. Much better mouthfeel than its competitors (Bud/Coors/Miller family mainstream lagers). Has some body, but not much. Well into "average" in that category. Overall, I'm impressed for what it is, but not in comparison to decent lagers. I'll pass on this from now on. (768 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +12.2%

A - White frothy head that dissipates to almost nothing very quickly. Clear. Straw in color with fast rising carbonation. 3.25/5

S - Corn, white bread, even a little green apple aroma. Grassy hops. 3/5

T - Light maltiness. Some corn. Just a hint of sweetness. Cereal. Hops come across as more herbal than grassy. 3.25/5

M - Light bodied. Scrubbing bubbles sensation. Disappears very quickly. 3/5

O - Enjoyable light bodied beer, especially on a hot day with or without food. 3/5 (501 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +42.4%

Pours golden straw in color, white head, decent lacing, crisp malt flavor, subtle bittering from the hops, and clean lager flavor. This is an American lager and it tastes exactly like an american lager should taste. Light, crisp, refreshing, consistent. (253 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Picked up an aluminum pint at my nearest gas station. Best by date states it's good for another couple of months. Poured right from the fridge into a pint glass.

L: Pours a clear apple juice/golden straw color with about a half-inch of white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass. Moderate visible carbonation.

S: Almost nothing in the nose. If I really strain, I can get a little bit of bready malt.

T: Hate to say it, but the taste follows the nose pretty closely: there's isn't much of a flavor profile to speak of. The tongue registers sweet at the front, but it's a very diffuse flavor--maybe some malt, maybe some corn, maybe some rice. The middle has a building of the sweet, but this rings more of the adjunct ingredients, predominantly corn. The back end has just a bit of tartness and a bit more of the sweet. The aftertaste might have just the tiniest hint of bitter.

F: Light-bodied, moderately effervescent, and fairly clean-finishing.

O: If I'm looking for a beer to cool me off and quench my thirst, this one would do just fine. Other than that, I can't say much about it because there really isn't a whole lot there to experience. (1,176 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +3.6%

I get why people hate this beer. Truth is I used to as well. I'm not sure if it is just getting older or having tried every beer under the sun it seems like in the last 10 years and just getting palate fatigue, but I drink the heck out of this stuff these days.

While I still love stouts, porters, IPAs, trappists, and a myriad of other beers, sometimes I just want something cheap and simple. I reach for Coors for the same reason I reach for a good cheeseburger - I'm not looking for craft or to have my mind blown. I'm just looking to suck down something familiar and unwind a little.

Additionally, I'm not a fan of light beers, but I have had to become a hair more conscious of the calories stacking up as my 30s press on. My days of downing a four pack of Dogfish Head 90 minute and the subsequent 1200 calories are a bit behind me. Unfortunately, the American craft word is cuckoo for IPAs still, and while there are some good things going on with lagers and session ales, they are few and far between still at the local megamart. Seriously - I can walk across the street to HEB and find probably 20 different craft IPAs but not much in the way of lagers aside from the usual macros. Luckily, more session IPAs seem to be coming to market, but even so, sometimes I just want that white-bread-hint-of-mold drinkability of an adjunct lager. In my opinion, Coors does that better than anybody. Better than Budweiser, and don't even get me started on High Life.

And if you hate that, I get you and probably can't argue any of your points away. Coors is a Wendy's cheeseburger, a Clive Cussler novel, as summer blockbuster, or a Katy Perry single - not exactly high art. However, I contend sometimes you don't want high art. Sometimes you want mindless entertainment; sometimes you just want something cold and familiar. (1,839 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +31.3%

This beer is the quintessential "session" beer. Good taste, cheap as hell, and easily accessible. The only thing bad about Banquet, is the reputation it's gotten (based only on price...in my opinion). (202 characters)

I don't mind this beer for an AAL. I wouldn't choose it for a last meal or anything, but it's not bad for the price. I didn't say its good, either, though. (155 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Very clear, quickly dissipating head. Smells of sweet apples. Little bit of grainy flavor similar to a Grain belt but not as pronounced. Creamier mouthfeel compared to other American Lagers. (190 characters)

1.34/5  rDev -51.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I am tired of being forced to write reviews.

My Dad always said was upholding a lifelong boycott ever since 1966... guess it wasn't only about the racism. (155 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +9.7%

12oz throwback bottles consumed yesterday while painting.
Pale yellow decent head. Grainy corny with a hint of sweetness. Easy to drink a bit watery, but did the trick. (169 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +55.8%

A perfect beer for what it is. Nice flavor and easy refreshing reliable stand-by. Sometimes I don't want to roll the dice after I'm done cutting the grass. (157 characters)

I remember Coors not selling this beer east of the Mississippi River. I had my first one in 1973 when in Colorado and thought, why all the fuss. I started brewing beer in 1985 and began to appreciate how well made this beer is. Nice hop malt balance and you can taste the malt on the finish. A clean light beer, something that is harder to brew then the ales and lagers with higher gravities and more hops. There is no hiding flavors here. A great work of brewers art. (468 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +72.7%

One of the top brews in my favorite category - the American Adjunct Lager. Tastes great cold out of a bottle on a hot summer day at the ballpark or cutting the lawn. You can't go wrong with the Banquet! (202 characters)

Had to rate this one all 5's. Just trying to balance all the ignorant reviews. Half of the guys on those site don't really have a good palate, don't drink much, don't live in beer towns like I do. Durango, Colorado. I drink more craft beer brewed in my town than 90% of these "bros" and reviewers. Half you morons are saying Miller high lige and PBR are better. That's laughable. This beer is decent for the price. Decent flavors. Def. Can tell its made with decent quality barley malts, grains, and hops. Better than PBR, Busch, any miller, bud, and all the other american adjuncts. Keep drinking your Milwaukee's best "bros" . I'm sure that's a craft beer in your minds. (672 characters)

2.81/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I'm used to Coor's Light until I was introduced to classic Coors. Not a bad beer, I don't recommend it compared to any other beer, but definitely take this over Coors Light! (173 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured from a 12 OZ "stubby" into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has that AAL smell of grain and corn. This to me is not awful but just common.
Appearance- Pours a golden yellow, a pun from the beer from "Golden, CO."
Taste- Not bad, i haven't had this beer in decades and it was very refreshing.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate to heavy carbonation. It finishes clean and smooth.
Overall- This is a macro, but a really good macro to me. I prefer this beer in bottles and i hear quite often the cans have a metallic aftertaste. Try a bottle and see what you think. (569 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +52.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

After a few years of pine, tropical fruits, weedy, roasted cocoa, bourbon, vanilla, smoke---I think you catch my drift--- today I just wanted a freakin...beer.
Now why choose Coors Banquet, I dunno, but I've been there a number of years ago so what the heck.
What I love about this beer is that no adjunct here. What I'm getting is barley, yeast and malt, simplicity. Not a beer you want warming up though.
This works for me. (429 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Poured two fingers frothy head, fair retention and some spotty lacing. Head maintains a film all the way down. Very light golden color, very clear. Light banana aroma, not picking up much else. Not very flavorful. Tastes like a decent balance of sweetness to bitterness. Also tasting banana, but not much else. Very straightforward, much expected from a large brewing company. Feels watery, and lacks any sort of grit or tack. Almost oily quality. Overall, easy to drink, but very lacking. (489 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +75.2%

This is one of my favorites. It's light, refreshing and tastes like a good beer. It's not overpriced. I just Coors would push it more around here, Philadelphia. It isn't commonly found in bars and restaurants. Coors Light is literally everywhere. (246 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Because of the higher alcohol content from any other beer we had in indiana in the 80's,I used to like going over to illinois to get some coors on weekends...kids! how ri·dic·u·lous!....and indiana is still on the blue law today! cuh-razy!
I lived in colorado for years and hardly ever drank it then! ha!
My mom drinks this swill today,but i don't even know why...
coors is just awful, imho. (396 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Straw with a hint of gold. A little darker than most BMC AALs. Pours with a frothy head that goes away rather quickly. There is a slight sour smell that accompanies the corn and barley. A trace of hops is also present. The taste is kinda sour with a nutty finish and slight sweetness. Medium body and semi-dry. Overall, A solid beer. I like the bit of sour I get from it. This is a go-to beer for me that I have enjoyed for almost twenty years.

16 oz can
Best by: APR/06/15
Served in a Pilsner glass (500 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +22.3%

If we're rating by style, this is a great swill beer. One of the fuller bodied adjunct lagers without the off flavors that makes most of the style so damn undrinkable.

Cheap beer has its time and place. 85% of the time I'm going to drink craft. The other 15%, this beer is my go to. (284 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +57.9%

I don't know why I avoided the banquet beer for so long. This is the smoothest american macro of the bunch. Great taste, goes down easy, and has a pleasant aftertaste. Maybe Coors is on to something with this one.....this is a great goto beer. (243 characters)

Coors from Coors Brewing Company