Coors | Coors Brewing Company

CoorsCoors

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewing with water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Reviews: 674 | Ratings: 2,735
3.27/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Light golden yellow in color with excellent clarity. Poured with a thick, soapy, bright white foam with good retention. Medium light grainy malt aroma with light crackery notes. No hop aromas. Medium light bodied with medium high biting carbonation. No warming or creaminess. Medium light grainy malt flavors up front that transition to a very light, unsweetened, corn cereal flavor through the middle. Light hop bitterness near the end. Finished dryly with a stale bready aftertaste. Grainy malt and light hop bitterness balance well. Generally lacks character but also has no offensive flaws making it easy to drink.

3.74/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I like it as a middle of the road beer. If you're not looking for ibu's and high avb I think it's a good old fashion American beer. Sorry if my opinion is 'unrefined'.

3.33/5  rDev +23.3%

Remember when the only way we could get Coors was to bootleg it in? Those were the days.

I think the reason Coors became so popular with my friends 30-40 years ago was it's lighter profile was just so different from the usual BudMiller type brands. It was perceived as more drinkable than the others and I think that largely remains true today.

Color so light you can read a newspaper through the glass. Light in aroma, texture and flavor, what's there is refreshingly good just not enough to hold my interest. Friends still like it so we usually have some around, at least during the holidays.

Recommend if you already have some and it's raining too hard outside to bother going to the store.

The color was a sharp, clear gold and the taste was inoffensive with little bitterness; almost like drinking colored water. Not a plus (but not a bust either) since I generally like more 'umph' to my beer. The smell is probably its weakest point a combination of can and whatever ingredients used. A little strange to this 'rudimentary' beer drinker. An okay beer overall. Not sure what more to say about it except it's a good one while smoking ribs or after engaging in an athletic activity!

2.84/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

See through light straw with some carbonation and a really thin head.

Smells like any macro adjunct Lager, so lots of cereals.

That taste is actually not that bad, way better than expected. I can't put the finger on what it is but it has much more flavors than most macro lager.

Feels like you're drinking water though, not much body.

2.66/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

From a stubby bottle, this is a pale yellow, lightly carbonated brew with a very slip head. The aroma is of cereal grain. No notable hop smell, and maybe a fleeting reminder of malt in the taste. Moderately sweet. It wasn't as bland as expected, but is still an essentially uninteresting adjunct lager. Light in body and mild in flavor.

3.27/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Smell of corn, grain, faint hops. Poured down the center of a 17 ounce pilsner glass, producing a 3 inch white head. Straw color. Taste follows the nose. Mostly corn. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp. However, once the beer loses temp, everything declines. Drink this ice cold. Overall it's quite good, considering I bought a 24 ounce can for $1.50. Great tailgate or BBQ beer. A little better than Bud or other AAL's.

3.88/5  rDev +43.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

First time trying Coors Banquet, I bought a 18pack for 14 bucks just for kicks. I wasn't expecting much to be honest, the flavor feels mild but refreshing, it has a clean flavor nothing off, nothing to write home about for sure but in a pinch or kicking it with friends it would def be ok.
OBD91 rating 3.75

2.86/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Look - Medium orange color, remarkably clear. Head fades to almost nothing, thin ring around the edge.

Smell - Light sweetness, hay, grass, mild estery fruitiness, no hops.

Taste - Light bready grainy sweetness, very light bitterness.

Mouthfeel - High carbonation bite, a very low but perceptible slickness.

Overall - For a full strength American lager it's a bit light on flavor. Rather boring, forgettable.

2.85/5  rDev +5.6%

Not bad for an American macro lager. Pretty clean taste, almost to the point of blandness, but lacking many of the offensive notes of its competitors.

1.84/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Slightly better than it’s light brethren, some malty notes in the taste, but generally a cereal presence. Pale golden with thin head, watery mouthfeel. Who drinks this stuff? Certainly not Peyton Manning.....

4.05/5  rDev +50%

While the beer looks awful, it is one of the most smoothest, refreshing, and utterly delicious beer I have ever tasted. There is a smoothness present that no other beer I drank has possessed and it leaves no funky aftertaste. There is a sweet malty taste and a crisp hoppy finish that is not bitter. I don't like hoppy beer, but this is amazing. I love this beer. Highly recommended.

1.58/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Back in Ann Arbor, circa 1975, Coors was the most sought after beer around. It couldn't be purchased in Michigan so somebody had to haul a case home from west of the Mississippi. Since it was unattainable, it quickly became the greatest tasting beer known to man. Of course, it was nothing but a run of the mill AL. It still is today. No real flavor. Uriney color. Bland aroma and feel. Coors has great advertising hype but it can't overcome the fact that their brew is a watery flavorless lager. Avoid. Grab a Hamms instead.

3.71/5  rDev +37.4%

The pour is a clear golden color with a quickly dissipating rocky white head.

The smell is sweet yummy beer goodness.

The taste is full of bread and malt with just a little zip of hops and playful carbonation on the back end.

Very light crisp mouth feel with plenty of carbonation and a very nice finish.

I will not apologize for being a Denver, CO born and raised native. Since moving out of the state I guess I lost track of Coors with all of the other beers. I still have many fond memories of Colorado and perhaps that biased my review a bit. In all reality for an AAL I do like this one. The Coors family leaned heavily on their German roots to bring about this mass produced recipe. And I have some suspicion there was possibly some pilsner influence on this lager. I find in Vegas on a hot day when I am throwing down some BBQ with some friends this goes so well. Friends, BBQ, fun and beer, that is what is all about right?

2.78/5  rDev +3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

The flavor profile of an AAL isn't what inspires me to drink beer. I love bold, complex flavors and that's pretty much the opposite of an AAL. That said, Coors doesn't do a bad job with this brew. It isn't much to look at and I could hardly smell anything coming from my glass, but the flavor is well balanced for this style. There is a gentle sweetness present along with a round, light maltiness. Just a little hoppiness finishes it off. Granted, that's not a description that would make me want to drink it, but it really is a pleasant, refreshing brew and fills it's place in the spectrum of beers appropriately. I quite often like this flavor profile with food, since it really doesn't compete with the flavors of whatever it is I'm eating. These facts aren't going to let it compete with most other brews out there, but still it works well for what it is.

4.04/5  rDev +49.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A beer better than the sum of its parts. Like the dude earlier that admitted he judged fizzy yellow bear against iPad double bock triple cocoa nib aged in Tabasco barrels for 34 days than aged another 3 weeks in port casks. I too have been judgemental, but mostly against people who don't like fiZzy yellow beer. Banquet beer is good. It's not crafty. It's good beer. Ask an indie if his beers always tastes the same. It's hard to do, but I know what to expect from this beer, and what I expect is cereal/watery/obvious hops on first sip, mass marketed goodness. Not great. But really really good. Tastes like coors.

3.1/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance - Poured from a 16 oz can into a standard 16 oz bar glass, poured a beautiful straw color with 2 and a half fingers of foamy white head that stuck around for abit. Carbonation seems to be on point.

Aroma - Corn, cereal malts, spring water, light floral hops.

Taste - Cereal malts and corn followed by mineral water, then light foral hops, and some lemon lime.

Feel - this is a light bodied beer, pretty watery with some decent carbonation and light hop flavors.

Overall - Look, When it comes to AAL's I think all lovers of craft beer have rated them badly to some degree. I definitely think overall quality of a beer needs to be reflected in a rating But we need a way to measure if one cheap beer is better than another. For an AAl this is a good beer, Its the perfect kind of beer to drink at a back yard bbq or something of the sort.

Would I buy it again, I don't think so. but would I drink it at a get together? absolutely

3.88/5  rDev +43.7%

The trouble with beers like these on a site like this is the knee-jerk reaction to rate them against their "craft" brethren, which honestly isn't appropriate. It would be like rating an IPA poorly because it doesn't taste like a BBA stout. If I'm being honest, I probably have several unfair old reviews of similar beers I probably should edit to reflect a more fair criteria.

Crystal clear with adequate carbonation and fairly lackluster head retention, as to be generally expected in this style.

When had fresh, there is nothing offensive happening on the palate or the nose. Just a smooth, clean, crisp malt profile with a little corn sweetness. Barely a whisper of hop presence, basically enough to dry out the finish. Quenching with no significant aftertaste.

For what this is - an American Adjunct Lager - its quite good.

4.08/5  rDev +51.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is a very full-bodied beer. Pours a golden color with a fizzy head that recedes quickly. Smells of sweet corn and wheat. It has a good grain taste with a somewhat strong sweet corn finish. Has a great amount of carbonation and goes down smooth. A very enjoyable beer.

2.2/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

appearance-looks like budwieser which i just reviewed. very clear and golded with lots of carbonation.

smell-smells like beer but its the adjuct is noticable. im not beer geek but i can tell that theres corn in this beer.

taste-first sip i was in love but after that id say coors banquet tastes like beer but in a bad way in my opinion. i was able to finish 8 but i would not buy again.

feel-very fizzy

overall-i would not by again. doesnt taste good in my opinion. if i was free i would have it. now that i think of it i think i will buy a tall boy of it one of these weekends and give it another shot.

3.33/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

(12 oz can poured into shaker)

L: fizzy little head fizzes out in record time and leaves not even a collar... the liquid is clear, very pale brassy yellow... unappealing - beer shouldn't be this pale and transparent... no lacing

S: mellow malty aroma with just the slightest toasty, grainy edge to it... very floral-cleanser overtones while the foam is there... not all that bad, but certainly weakened due to no foam... the warmer it gets, the more I detect a malt liquor type of scent

T: malty in the way that a cheap malt liquor or an NA beer tastes... mild-to-(relatively)moderate syrup-sweetish plain granola finish... as it warms, there emerges perhaps a mild grassy bitterness, but all in all the balance seems to be quite tipped toward the watery malt

F: delicately fizzy on the edges, packs a good bit of gas in the back end... rather light, almost extra light, dry body... the carbonation comes across, coupled with the lighter body, almost like a weak soda pop

O: I've only had this 2-3 times over all these years - always thought it was decent for what it was... last time I had it was on draft in a plastic cup at a Broncos game in Denver and that was marginally more enjoyable than what came out of this can - meaning, I would imagine that was fresher(?) - who knows?

3.07/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Lots of bubbles, not much smell, standard adjunct lager taste, light feel. Overall not too bad for what it's meant to be. A good price for a decent beer. I rated this about the same as Miller High Life because I think they both stand neck to neck. I would only choose one over the other based on price. Considering they are both cheap, I'm fairly happy with either.

2.94/5  rDev +8.9%

First time ever having "the Banquet Beer," from one of the 24-ounce cans which were on sale at a local Sheetz. Date on the bottom says December 14th, 2015 -- assuming that's a Best By unless I somehow ended up with beer from the future.

First thing that strikes me about its appearance is the massive, audibly-fizzing white head of foam that forms upon pouring into my pint glass; I had to wait for it to shrink a bit before I could pour a bit more and get something closer to a full glass's worth. Once poured, though, this foam shrinks away pretty rapidly; in just the time it took me to type this much, it's shriveled away into a thin patchy coating on the surface with a thicker, bubblier ring around the edge. Did leave a few traces behind as it went. Color is an incredibly pale and incredibly clear yellow; definitely among the palest-colored beers I've seen. There's some bubbles rising up constantly from the bottom, too. On the second pour from the big can, a smaller but still decent head forms but then rapidly fizzles out into absolutely nothing, not even leaving the thin layer on top like the first time.

Smell was slightly troubling when I sniffed the can shortly after opening (a lot of the weird sweetness that I've noticed in some of my least-favorite beers), but after pouring and settling in the glass it seems to have improved a good bit. It's mostly a grainy/corn-like smell, with maybe a slight undertone of that weird sweetness in the background, but just barely. Kind of a musty smell to it, also -- actually reminds me a bit of a dusty basement, weirdly enough. The musty smell seems to replace the weird sweetness after a while. It's not entirely pleasant, but it's not awful either.

Taste is similar to the smell -- grain, corn, a little on the sweet side but not drastically so. There's a bit more of that funky sweetness in the taste now than in the smell, but not enough to make it unpleasant, and interestingly that seems to blend in better or even vanish altogether after about half of the glass is emptied out. Maybe the tiniest hint of bitterness on the end? It does seem to get a little drier right near the end of a gulp too, which actually works pretty well. It's decent enough to be drinkable, but nothing really special.

Feel is very light and fizzy. Incredibly easy to drink multiple big gulps in a row. Fizziness doesn't quite get to the point of being prickly most of the time despite being VERY fizzy, so I'll give it points for that, but again... nothing really special here.

Overall, this isn't bad but there's really nothing too special about it either -- just an all-around average cheap American lager, definitely better than something like a Bud Light but not up to par with PBR or Yuengling. Not a whole lot to say, overall, though I am finding myself liking it more after drinking a decent bit of it than I thought I would when I first cracked open the big can. I'd say it's worth a try if you're not completely AAL-intolerant, especially if you find it on sale for a good price, but not something I'd go out of my way for.

1.69/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Rating to style, this still kind of misses the boat on a few areas. While the look starts out well, it fizzes down to a headless wonder fairly quickly while maintaining a little bit of a sickly, dirty pale yellow. Aroma isn't too far off from where you'd find most any AAL, which is to say a slight sweetness amongst a hard to define bitter but mostly grainy presence. Taste is where it departs from what I think an AAL "standard" should represent. It has hints of something metallic but overall a syrupy corn sweetness which is off putting once this gets any bit warmer than ice cold. Perhaps this is why they encourage drinking when the mountains are blue. They just need to reinforce speed with that advice.

2.2/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

For some reason, my roommate has been drinking this lately. I'm obliging my curiosity, now much to my own consternation. Pours clear yellow with a short, unlacing "head" which is more just carbonation. Reminiscent of the that moment during a pee where there's a small bit of brief pee-froth which quickly dissipates as one continues to pee. Smells vaguely of unkempt, but well-meaning grandma. Similar flavor with added notes of corn long off the cob and mouthfeels of regret Overall, do not like. Will not drink again.

Coors from Coors Brewing Company