Coors - Coors Brewing Company

poor

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Alström Bros
TheKingofWichita

1.98/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a golden yellow color with a thick white head and a fair amount of lacing. Smells of corn, grassy fields, and sweat. Tastes of creamed corn with a little bit of hop bitterness. Tastes very bland or stale. Mouthfeel is okay with decent carbonation. Drinkability is okay.

11-18-2010 12:56:15 | More by TheKingofWichita
Vashtar

1.38/5  rDev -45.9%

Cream soda. If there were a cream soda of the beer world, this would be it. I hate cream soda.
I always try to finish my beer, but I think this one has defeated me a few times; which was good because it was time for me to stop drinking anyway.
It tastes empty. It tastes watered down.

11-01-2010 06:51:12 | More by Vashtar
projectflam86

2.6/5  rDev +2%

A- Pours a clear golden color with a thin white head that fades away.

S- Faint grain and corn aroma. Not much in the nose.

T- A bit of sweetness intially with a cooked grain finish. The tiniest bit of bitterness in the finish. Lacking in flavor.

M- Clean and light.

D- Not horrible, but not great.

10-31-2010 18:20:54 | More by projectflam86
SpeedwayJim

2.1/5  rDev -17.6%

24oz. can split with my dad. Poured into a Ithaca pint glass.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger coarse, fluffy white head that collapses as quickly as it forms. Beer is a clear straw yellow. Lacing is non-existant.

S: Nose is corn, wheat, and an awkward, slightly sour metallic, likely from sitting in the can. Kinda like change that's been in a pocket for too long.

T: Sweet wheat and corn. Adjuncty... sours as it warms with a weird combination of mild hop bitterness in the background and corn sweetness upfront. All the flavors are very watered down though. Finishes sweet like watered down corn syrup. Aftertaste is grainy.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation. Coarse in the mouth and watery all the way through. Finish is messy and aftertaste lingers unpleasantly.

D: This isn't a terrible beer. But it just doesn't taste like anything. All I really get is a mixture of sweet and very slight bitterness. Goes down easy but considering how light and flavorless it is, its no wonder. Skip it and opt for a drink with a bit more substance.

10-31-2010 03:27:29 | More by SpeedwayJim
fourplayed

poured into 16oz Mug

Pour a very pale yellow with 1-2 finger head, zesty bubble break up fairly fast.

Smells clean - corn, grains, a nice bit of sweetness and a touch of bitterness.

Clean and very lite & thin in the mouth with a med/high amount of carbonation...goes down easy!

Overall-easy to drink and decent bang for your buck. Preferred over contemporaries like
Bud, MGD etc..etc..

10-12-2010 21:27:35 | More by fourplayed
aasher

Indiana

2.75/5  rDev +7.8%

It poured a pale straw yellow with absolutely no head, very strange. The smell is hard to pinpoint. It doesn't exhibit hops, malt, or sweetness or bitterness. It smells like a generic BMC beer but not the worst. The taste is actually not too bad either. It's definitely an upgrade from Coors Light. It's more drinkable than other mainstream brands.

10-10-2010 15:39:29 | More by aasher
aval89

2.68/5  rDev +5.1%

A: pale golden straw color.. Little head that quickly settles to nothing.

S: grain, cooked corn, sweet with slight metallic vapors. Clean I guess for style.

T: wet cardboard upfront, corn, grain, with a sweet yet cereal like finish. Crisp finish

MF: thin bodied & high medium carbonation.

D: pretty easy drinker..

It is what it is..

10-06-2010 07:02:38 | More by aval89
birdyone

Rhode Island

3.23/5  rDev +26.7%

I leave it in the can. And I don't even bother with longnecks anymore. It's pale, cold, and doesn't give very good head. Damn that sounds like my ex. . .

It smells like bread, but not fresh baked, more like wonder bread.

The taste does leave something to be desired, but I kind of like it.

Mouthfeel is the same as any other macro.

It's cheaper than Bud or Miller, but I think it tastes better. So I gave it good marks for drinkability.

The hardest to find macro brew. Maybe I've seen Smokey and the Bandit a few times too many, because I love Firebirds and Coors. By far my favorite macro brew.

10-02-2010 22:26:19 | More by birdyone
InebriatedJoker

3.38/5  rDev +32.5%

Poured from a can into my favorite beer drinking glass.

light golden yellow appearance with a three finger head .

not much of a smell - maybe hints of hops.

taste wasn't awful - light and watered down.

not the worst brew out there .

I could pound these all day. not to bad for a commercial massed produced beer.

10-02-2010 13:30:09 | More by InebriatedJoker
larstheberserk

3.05/5  rDev +19.6%

Clean, clear, and golden, w/ descent head for an adjunct.

Smells grainy w/ a slight aroma o piss.

Tastes mostly grainy w/ a hint o hops.

Cold it is nice and crisp and carbonated. You gotta drink it cold though unless you're plugging your nose and shotgunning hahah.

I can take these down all day.

10-01-2010 16:56:57 | More by larstheberserk
jsprain1

3.15/5  rDev +23.5%

A- Pours a golden color with a slightly better head than most macros.
S- Grain, not too bad on the corn.
T- Slight hoppiness, mostly grainy. Not overly corn flavored.
M- Crisp and clean (as long as you drink it cold).
D- My number may look high, but as far as the style goes, I'll take a coors before most any other macro adjunct.

09-18-2010 07:07:27 | More by jsprain1
tjsmith910

3.28/5  rDev +28.6%

Opinions will always vary with one persons pallet of flavor to another. Other than Smithwick's, this is also a perfect beer. The most smooth taste and perfectly served with nearly any food dish or just by it self. The taste is rich and grainy. The final drink is just as pleasant as the first drink. After a 12 pack or so, It still has me wanting more. Best american brew in the land

09-16-2010 15:01:07 | More by tjsmith910
assmasterson

Missouri

2.55/5  rDev 0%

I've had Coors Light a few times in the past, and every time it was a one-beer-available situation, and was not enjoyable. Surprisingly though, until now I have never had their 'real' beer.

A: Pours a slightly burnt yellow color with a very fizzy head that lasts for about 10 seconds then fades away. Watery; doesn't stick to the glass at all.

S: Cooked vegetables, slightly metallic, kind of seltzer-y, if seltzer has a true smell.

T: Again, somewhat of a cooked vegetable taste with no real hop flavor, but the finish has a strong metal taste. This could possibly be from the can, but of all the beers I have had in an aluminum can, this one has the strongest flavor.It's almost like sucking on a coin. Even after about a minute, I can still taste the metal with the faintest hint of citrus pucker.

M: Very thin, almost light beer thin. Almost no stickiness after drinking. Gets bubbly easily.

D: Meh, if it's hot outside it might be refreshing, but it's not fantastic.

Of the big 3, this one would probably squeak into second place. Budweiser is fairly drinkable, this one is OK, Miller is just plain bad. But, that doesn't mean this one is good. It's not the worst beer I've ever had, but it isn't something I would go out of my way to drink.

08-30-2010 00:51:20 | More by assmasterson
woodychandler

3.28/5  rDev +28.6%

It's over! No, not The CANQuest (TM) - that would be like the commercial where the guy wipes his hands and announces that he reached the end of the Internet. Instead, my 10-day antibiotics program just ended with the swallowing of my 30th pill at the rate of three a day. I CANnot lie and say that I did not drink beer at all during that time, but my CANsumption was severely curtailed.

An oddity here. How did I overlook Original Coors Banquet Beer all this time? A CANTrader pointed out that it was absent from my list and sure enough ... Time to restart and what better way than with the beer once referred to as "Colorado Kool-Aid"? Hell, it was once so coveted east of the Mississippi River that its bootlegging became the basis for a movie - "Smokey and the Bandit", anyone?

From the CAN: "Cold Activated CAN; Vented Wide Mouth; Banquet - the legend since 1873; Brewed with Rocky Mountain Water in Golden, Colorado; A brand that has stood the test of time. Brewed with 100% Rocky Mountain water for a legendary taste.; Don't Mess with the Mountain - Please Recycle!"

The mountains were as blue as Neytiri so it was Crack and Glug time! My aggressive pour resulted in two fingers of fizzy bone-white head with low retention. Color was a light golden-yellow with NE-plus quality clarity. It was so clear that I felt like I had x-ray vision! Nose was pretty standard for the style - a light lager sweetness overlain by cereal extenders. Jesus, we were so naive in the late-1970's! Mouthfeel was medium with a very sweet lager taste on the tongue. Frankly, this was not too bad. I have had much worse AALs during my quest. Finish had an odd bitterness that was not hops, but instead whatever adjuncts they had seen fit to throw into the kettle. Oh well. CAN't tick, but chalk it up as a Glug and move on.

08-28-2010 19:14:10 | More by woodychandler
WaffenSS

3.85/5  rDev +51%

Haven't had an "Original Coors" in over 25 years. It was a super hot and humid day outside (over 95 degrees) so a lighter beer was prefered over my usual porter/stout/dunkel. Since the bar I stopped in only had about 7-8 domestics in the cooler, it was a matter of choosing a "lesser evil". Coors won.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an 8oz. beer glass. Small fizzy head disappers quickly. Color is that of usual American macro's, lighter golden yellow with maybe a lesser amount of carbonation.

Smell is of grainy/malt.
First tatse was surprisingly clean and crisp, with no bad aftertaste that usually come with American adjunct beers.
Taste is rather sweet with smooth malt and grain overtones.
I must say, I almost NEVER drink American macro beers but this beer is rather good!

I ended up drinking about five of these in one sitting, the last one going down and tasting as good as the first. A very smooth, refreshing beer! I loved the somewhat subtle, sweet/clean taste.

This is my new choice for a summer beer. Sometimes it is worth trying an old, forgotten brand once again. Recommended!

08-25-2010 00:00:36 | More by WaffenSS
mikesgroove

South Carolina

2.7/5  rDev +5.9%

The American classic I grabbed a can of this and needed something fast to wash the last taste out of my mouth (oh yes, it was that bad). Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 08/16/2010.

Pour was your standard bright golden color with tons of carbonation bubbling up to the surface throughout the entire session. Head settled down and eventually left behind little to no lacing and a steady stream of bubbles. Aroma of light grain, touches of some bready notes, a hint of light grain and a nice and even mix of malts. Not actually that bad. Given the style we are now on an upswing as this was coming around fairly decently. Nice small notes of bready grains, muted hops, and a touch of grain all come together with a quick hitting, light, crisp and clean profile that I really found somewhat palatable.

Overall this might have been the best of the night. I could bring this to the beach if I had to.

08-18-2010 00:41:28 | More by mikesgroove
beerme420

3.8/5  rDev +49%

I drank this beer from a can the other day with my gf. I enjoyed the taste of it and the fact there was no bitter after taste or any after taste made it all the easier for me to put down and do what beers made to do get you drunk haha overall I would say its a pretty good average beer for the price 13$ for a 12 pack where I live.

08-14-2010 17:13:29 | More by beerme420
VietPong

Connecticut

2.75/5  rDev +7.8%

Average american beer. Good to buy as a 30 rack. The mountains are convenient, but never drink this beer warm or only slightly cold. When iced, the true, odd taste of the beer is hidden. It's watery, lightly carbonated, and almost sweet, not a hint of bitterness. Overall, good for a budget.

08-12-2010 04:17:17 | More by VietPong
kshankar

District of Columbia

3.08/5  rDev +20.8%

So I had this fresh at the Coors factory tour. Hey, it's a free tour.

Pours clear golden, very fizzy, lively carbonation. Bubbly foam.

Aroma is grainy with some corn. Taste is grainy, corny. Kind of metallic. Body is very light, and the carbonation is moderate.

Drinkability is high, because its fairly non-offensive, mild and light. It does well at what it is trying to be. As far as thirst quenching summer beers, I'll stick to wits and hefes, but this is still okay.

08-05-2010 04:09:03 | More by kshankar
bigrzman

2.8/5  rDev +9.8%

So on my road down American Adjunct lane I decide to go to the golden can with the big mountains on it. Thankfully it is blue to let me know its cold (LOL). So I tapped the Rockies! Here is the report.

A: Golden Lager and true to name and color. Poured with a big white head that stayed around for a while. Head diminished after 5 minutes it was a paper thin trace. However this is impressive for the style. Forced carbonation but attractive.

S: Yeah not so good here. Cooked veggies and corn. The cooked veggies smell wasn't like a pleasant cooked vegetable, it was definitely like string beans and spinach. Boooo.

T: Tastes like corn and rice with a slight hop bitterness and boy is it sweet. Do not drink warm. Drink ice cold.

M: Thin and watery like a good American Adjunct Lager should be! Carbonation tingles the palate and it is slightly astringent. True to style.

D: Hey if I am tipsy and taste is out the window this is an option to save $$$$. Besides that drink this while cutting the lawn or doing house work.

08-03-2010 01:15:28 | More by bigrzman
Mosstrooper

3.53/5  rDev +38.4%

Poured from 12oz can into shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Straw color with a large white head that dissipates pretty quickly and leaves a little bit of spotty lace.

Smell: Grains and adjunct with a sweet apple-juice type aroma and a slight hint of herbal hop.

Taste: Begins with sweet fruitiness, finishing with slightly bitter grain flavors and a bana-like sweet flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light body with balanced carbonation and a clean, refreshing finish. Carbonation is surprisingly balanced for the style.

Drinkability: Of the big three macro brews, this may very well be the best. Not great as a beer, but pretty damn good as an adjunct lager. I'd have it again, though wouldn't necessarily choose it over most things.

08-01-2010 17:25:28 | More by Mosstrooper
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

1.93/5  rDev -24.3%

33cl can poured into a plastic half pint glass.

A- Straw coloured body with lively beading. 2 finger rocky white head that reduces impressively quickly to leave the faintest of crowns. No lacing to speak of really.

S- Musty is my first through, faint grains underneath.

T- Very faint musty grains coating the tongue to reveal an uninspiring finish of really nothing to speak of in terms of hop bite. An underlying artificial sweetness lingers a little.

M- Moderate carbonation, watery, a little sticky in the finish with the artificial sweetness coming in.

D- Extremely poor drinkability. Its hard to believe beer can be so tasteless.

07-28-2010 10:12:19 | More by seanyfo
scottfrie

3.03/5  rDev +18.8%

Reviewed from old notes and to style.
12oz can into SA perfect pint glass.

A: Poured a light yellow with a huge white bubbly head that really frothed up but then quickly disappeared into a thin scum. Some whisps of soapy lace stuck to the sides.
S: Sweet corn, dry grain, and slight lemon or white grapes. Not much smell.
T: Follows the nose with adjuncty corn and sweet grains. Extremely faint hops and slight pepper. Mostly corn though.
M: Doesn't leave as bad of an aftertaste in your mouth as other adjunct beers. Still pretty corny though. Smooth in the mouth with no bitterness. Goes down easy and crisp.
D: One of the best of the worst. Not as watery as others. A little but more body. If your night is a piss-beer night, this is a good place to start.

07-22-2010 01:57:48 | More by scottfrie
EagleTalon

Oklahoma

3.48/5  rDev +36.5%

Pours to a thin white had that dissipates to almost nothing; pale yellow-gold color. Aroma is faint cider, grain and seltzer. Flavor is rather complex for the style, faint pale malt, slight hop tinge and a bit of fruitiness in there for good measure. Mouthfeel is good. Overall, this is a non-offensive very refreshing water beverage. The flavor of real Coors is quite distinct and pleasing even though it is weak. This is a good "lawnmower" thirst-quenching summer beer.

07-15-2010 23:25:29 | More by EagleTalon
MrHungryMonkey

3.75/5  rDev +47.1%

Nose is softly hoppy & sour/citric with suggestions of dry, toasty, grainy malt. Does not smell like much.

Pours clear pale yellow with mild head. Looks okay.

Flavor is fairly neutral. Soft hoppy citric/floral tones. Dry grainy/husky malt. Well carbonated. Highly refreshing. Almost no bitterness. A little bit of genuine maltiness and refined sweetness. Hint of alcohol. Bit of tart mouthfeel. Finishes fairly clean, with soft hoppy/husky bite. Tastes good (yes). Feels good. Good drinkability.

To be more specific, it tastes good for the style; overall it does not have much taste (compared to a stronger-flavored style), but what it does have is pretty good (which means it does not have much of the negative mass-produced kind of flavors that keep me away from Coors-kind-of-beer). In fact, it has everything I would expect from a quality Macro/Adjunct Lager without the off-flavors often associated with Macros/Adjuncts/Lights. Coors, and other like-beers (by which, I should define, I mean the so-called mass-produced beers which most of us avoid like the plague), is an engineering marvel of fermentation repeatability and a quality beverage produced by brewers who are trying to provide that which many people want: an easy-drinking & refreshing alcoholic beverage. Unlike its Light brother, Coors has real flavor and substance that make is a real (tasty) beer as far as I am concerned (not that there is anything wrong with Coors Light as a Light Lager, but this is so much more interesting).

I cannot say anything bad about Coors as a beer. It is an outstanding Macro/Adjunct Lager. That of course does not mean this is my favorite style, and thus Coors (by no fault of its own) is nowhere near a choice beer for me. I have enjoyed reviewing Coors immensely, but it will be many years before I buy another. If I was stuck on a dessert island that had an ever-flowing natural spring of Coors I would survive fairly contently and be grateful to have it.

07-12-2010 02:28:09 | More by MrHungryMonkey