Coors - Coors Brewing Company

poor

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Alström Bros
bondjedi

Washington

3.75/5  rDev +47.1%

Uh oh ... Someone has tapped into the Rockies. I picked up a keg o' Coors this afternoon. For America's 234th birthday, only a macro will do.

And this is far superior out of the tap than it is out of the bottle or tall boy. Nice golden hue, more lacing than any macro has fhe right to have.

Pound for pound, one of America's best, especially when value is a consideration.

07-03-2010 02:01:17 | More by bondjedi
dacrza1

1.25/5  rDev -51%

Situation: feeling good after a hot, useful baseball practice...watching the Cavs as they clinch...
Glassware: Wychwood 16 oz.
Appearance: softly tinted tawny yellow body with a clear, foamy white head that settles to a bubbly circle--unappealing... Aroma: sweet, corn-tinged swagger that reaks of a thin, syrupy body... Palate: thin, light and smooth as expected--bubbly keg fair that soaks your hamburger... Taste: not much, aside from grass, corn and soft dough...zero drag on the throat, zero arrival on the tongue or teeth... Overall: even a good mood cannot alter the effect of this beer--zero punch or profile' I've softened my criticism of this beer (and its genre as a whole) as it serves a purpose that many friends and family members find quite necessary...but I can not seek this one out myself...

06-30-2010 20:20:24 | More by dacrza1
Onenote81

3.1/5  rDev +21.6%

My turn to host "cheap beer night," so I grabbed an 18-pack of cans for the occasion. Poured one into a pilsner glass to get the full effect.

Pours a translucent pale yellow with a thick white head on top. Retention was pretty weak; left little-to-no lace on the glass. Scents of buttered bread, faint grains, and that ever-present 'macro' smell.

The body had a bit more depth than the other cheap beer of the night, Bud Ice. Some mild carbonation on the palate. Typical flavors for a macro. Some grains, buttery aftertaste, and white bread. Bitterness is low. All-in-all, not a bad offering for what it is. It's cheap and goes down easy. Better than most of the BMCs.

06-29-2010 16:51:26 | More by Onenote81
dcook11

Just a terrible beer all around. The smell taste, appearance are all horrible. I drank one of these when offered by a friend just to be polite, but inside I was not pleased. Gross for lack of a better word. Very cheaply crafted and a disgrace to good beer.

06-28-2010 08:15:18 | More by dcook11
wcintula

2.88/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into a 10oz trumpet-shaped pilsener glass,

A- Poured a yellow clear with a finger-width white foamy head.

S- A bit of cereal but very strong on the rice. I picked this up when I realized it smelt like sake.

T- Yes, like a weaker sake with faint bread-y tastes.

M- Foams up in the mouth, prickly carbonation. This seems to be common among the style.

D- If this is my only choice, yes, I will drink just this. But Spaten Lager is available, so I shall move on...this time.

06-25-2010 03:19:09 | More by wcintula
bundy462

2.5/5  rDev -2%

A: Pale yellow, no head.

S: Floral hops over grainy tones.

T: Lager sweetness and slight hop bite with a thin grain and malt backbone. Finishes very crisp and clean.

M: Medium to thin bodied. About average for the style.

O: Just not my style, but it's not bad compared to others.

06-22-2010 15:06:06 | More by bundy462
bourbonbock

3.63/5  rDev +42.4%

Poured a tall boy into a pint glass.

Pretty much just coors light in a different package and perhaps slightly more alcohol and better ingredients. I actually prefer the "Banquet" beer over quite a few of the BMC beers. Its not bad going down and its cheap.

06-14-2010 00:18:59 | More by bourbonbock
EStreet20

2.93/5  rDev +14.9%

Eh, why not

12 oz bottle, 20 ounce pub glass.

A - Perfectly clear, extremely light yellow. Small white head fades to thin cap.

S - Clean smell with some tiny grain notes.

T - Slightly sweet taste. Some cereal flavor, bit of corn.

M - Thin, medium carbonation.

D - For it's purpose it's a decent adjunct lager to throw down a few very cold.

06-07-2010 00:34:55 | More by EStreet20
drpimento

Wisconsin

1.58/5  rDev -38%

Label says "cold as the rockies"; since I got it out of the fridge and then somehow got distracted for a half hour, it wasn't all that cold. Is it somehow intrinsicly cold on another astral dimension? Here in this dimension and at this time and place, I'm less than impressed in any kind of good way. The cold as the rockies seems to me to have been one of this beers major attributes, its serving temperature. Doesn't work. I didn't pour it out since that would warm it even more. The aroma in the bottle was "beer" and nothing more. Give it the benefit of the doubt in appearance since it remained in the bottle. Taste was world common beer and while not bad, certainly nothing I'd ever seek out cept if the other options were somehow worse. Body is like ....beer. Finish is like flavor. And forgetfully short. Nuff said.

05-28-2010 03:11:50 | More by drpimento
mjr955201

Rhode Island

3.5/5  rDev +37.3%

Coors is a good beer to drink everyday. Usually, I will drink Bud, but have been trending towards Coors. It is a nice, smooth lager, similiar price to Budweiser.

And they trucked Coors in Smokey and the Bandit movie...

Most of the time I will purchase a 30 pack of Coors, $20. The tall thin cans are growing on me.

05-25-2010 00:44:24 | More by mjr955201
7thInningSuds

4.38/5  rDev +71.8%

A - Looked good.

S - Smelled good.

T - Good balanced beer. Now I know why they call it "Colorado Kool-Aid". No bitter or bad aftertaste.

M - Very good.

D - This one will be a regular in the beer fridge. This and Pabst are the best of the macros, and they do not disappoint.

05-16-2010 00:55:36 | More by 7thInningSuds
eschbach

Arizona

3.13/5  rDev +22.7%

So I had a huge party last night, and someone left a 12 pack of banquet beer in my fridge. I never really have had the banquet beer in the past, so I was eager to try it. I thought it would be disgusting, but I was wrong. It's actually not that bad.

I filled up my pilsner glass with the banquet beer. The first thing I noticed is that the head vanished very fast, but that is not rare with macros. The beer has a nice golden color. It has very little smell. I can faintly smell the hops but it is not much to speak of. The taste is smooth and not very bitter. I think it has more flavor than most American macro lagers.

For the money, this beer is not bad. It tastes better than most American macros. I think it could be good for a bbq or a sports event, or any casual activity where one does not want to spend a lot on beer.

05-13-2010 04:26:07 | More by eschbach
emmasdad

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev +23.5%

I used to think this beer was fairly decent, drank cold straight from the long neck bottle. Now that I'm finally getting around to reviewing it, I'm not that impressed. Slightly darker than pale gold, with a rocky mountain cap of white foam. Smells exactly like any other BMC product, and doesn't taste all that much better. Not so great from the glass.

05-03-2010 02:48:15 | More by emmasdad
LuckyBrewer

Colorado

Style: Pilsner
Brewery: Coors Brewing Company
Location: Golden CO FOOL!
Website: http://www.coors.com/
Serving Type: 12 Fl.Oz.
ABV: 5.0 ABV

Pour: Smooth pour with a even pilsner head, the head dies off within one minute of pour.

Smell: The beer has a buttery yeast smell to it with a hint of hops and malt.

Taste: This is the true American pilsner, its smooth and crisp. However it has some nice yeasty taste to it and the light hint of maltiness. I do not taste the same beer when i drink it on the east coast.

Drinkability: I drink this beer regularly, it has a nice buttery taste to the yeast. Two things need to be noted about this beer, 1) It doesn't taste good from a bottle 2) It doesnt taste good outside of Colorado, seriously.

Note: On the 1936 can it says, "export lager" it was so good we exported it...but not to the east coast? Where the hell did they export it? HA!

05-01-2010 04:33:38 | More by LuckyBrewer
tjsdomer2

2.25/5  rDev -11.8%

Appearance: Gross yellow hue. Kind of artificial looking...almost like...dare I say...darker urine (which ironically is VERY un-artificial).

Smell: Stale bread with some maltiness. Not good. Not bad. Not impressed.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Coors Original tastes like stale biscuits. The worst part is it leaves a very stale and bitter taste in your mouth.

Drinkability: I had a hard time finishing this honestly and my buddy and I debated who would finish the rest of the 6-pack.

Overall: Coors Light definitely improves this beer. I was definitely hopeful that this beer would be a classier macrobrew. Unfortunately, it did not live up to this at all.

04-10-2010 22:10:05 | More by tjsdomer2
oberscrc

2.75/5  rDev +7.8%

Love the can...when poured very light golden color with no real head. Smell is almost non-existant...just typical grain smell. Sweet to my palate...no real hops flavor. Very carbonated...tickles the mouth not very enjoyable. To me better than Bud or MGD...A beer to get drunk on (not a good reason to drink beer).

03-27-2010 04:13:30 | More by oberscrc
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.56/5  rDev +0.4%

Light golden straw color. Extremely carbonated. Little bubbles, little white head, no lacing whatsoever. Aroma, corn pops cereal.

Thin body, prickly hops, even though not substantial. Good zip brisk feel to it. Taste some metal. Nothing to speak of flavor wise beyond what you get the first sip. Drinkable, but this stuff isn't exactly a good value with what you get for it, but I guess MillerCoorsSAB has an advertising budget to pay.

03-26-2010 22:03:40 | More by Beerandraiderfan
Hondo3

Kentucky

2.15/5  rDev -15.7%

What a letdown. Stopped on a whim and bought a case of longnecks remembering how much we all enjoyed this beer 35 years ago. Lesson learned.

Coors Original is a beautiful beer in a glass. Good lacing. Nice head. Light golden in color. Unfortunately, appearance is where it ends.

I'm a hop nut and, while the beer has a faint hop aroma, the hop taste is lacking. In fact, just about any taste is lacking.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean.

Drinkability? Let's just say that from now on, I'll drink it if someone else buys it.

In conclusion, this Coors experience was kind of like kissing your sister. In the heat of the moment, it may have seemed like a good idea. In retrospect...what the hell was I thinking? On a side note, the answer is "No". I've never kissed my sister. :P

03-26-2010 21:44:23 | More by Hondo3
Prostman81

3.25/5  rDev +27.5%

This is a big step up from Coors Light, which I find to be almost undrinkable. For an adjunct lager, they do an OK job of making something that has a relative amount (and I mean that in regards to other adjunct lagers) of taste, and keeps that poundability that this style demands.

Really got introduced to regular Coors on my trips to Hawaii, where beer selection is very limited, and Bud and Miller lite reign supreme. I turned to Coors as a safe haven from these two products as well as from the copious amounts of sugar & rum drinks that proliferate there.

Plus, I love how every time I drink one of these the song "East Bound and Down" goes through my head! Make it to Texarkana and back in 28 hours?! You bet!!

03-24-2010 21:14:07 | More by Prostman81
Wasatch

Utah

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

03-13-2010 19:57:34 | More by Wasatch
TheTrevor

2.75/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer poured a light yellow with a quickly fading fizzy head. The smell and taste are typical macro with the only difference being a little more rice, which could be mostly due to my imagination as much as it being a cheap ingredient. What are you going to do, this is an American macro, Meant to be inoffensive and able to be consumed in massive quantities, this beer delivers on those qualities if nothing else.

02-28-2010 05:50:12 | More by TheTrevor
tykees88

Indiana

2.2/5  rDev -13.7%

I don't like this beer. It's too thick. There is slight tastes of malts and hops. But it's water seemingly thickened up. I don't like it won't drink it again even if it's on keg. If Coors is used as a banquet beer like it says it is then I'm not going to banquets anymore.

02-27-2010 20:50:08 | More by tykees88
zoso493

2.48/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a straight-sided pint glass. The mountains are blue, so you know it's good to go.

Appearance: Pours a very pale straw color with hints of gold in it. Has a slim one-finger head that dies down very quickly and actually manages to leave some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Pretty nondescript smell of sweet grains and malts with essentially no hop scent.

Taste: Very little to the taste in this one. Just some sweet adjuncts and malts. There's a slight bittering effect towards the end to temper the ineffectual presence of the malts, but aside from that there's not a whole lot going on.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin mouthfeel, but it's pretty crisp and leaves the palate pretty dry, so there are no complaints here for what it is.

Poundability: I think adjuncts should be measures in their poundability rather drinkability, and having said that, this is a fairly poundable brew. It's really light and fairly crisp, but how many of these would you really like to drink?

Overall, this is a decent adjunct lager that is not particularly repulsive, which is a compliment to any adjunct. I wouldn't drink it often, but for what it is, it's not terrible.

02-20-2010 18:27:00 | More by zoso493
association330

2.8/5  rDev +9.8%

12 oz. "Banquet" bottle, no freshness date

A - Pours the usual light gold with a fizzy white head and no cap or lacing to speak of.

S - Cooked corn, slightly stale/funky grains, the lightest wisp of hop aroma I'll probably ever catch.

T - Sweet grains, corn, perhaps a grazing...no, a slight misting of hops. Lingering corn funk.

M - Gotta give Coors some credit here, their flagship is reasonably smooth and not as obnoxiously fizzy as some other macros that tend to drink more like soda pop.

D - I'd peg this as fractionally better than Miller and Bud, though your friends who aren't beer nerds probably won't even notice the difference. There are other beers of this style that are marginally better, but Coors will do the job at backyard BBQs or in front of the TV.

02-17-2010 03:26:38 | More by association330
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.1/5  rDev -17.6%

Twelve ounce bottle under the "Banquet" title downed at the nearby Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a clear, thin-looking, yellow body with an equally thin, fizzy, white head.

Smell: Particularly light, dull notes of grain and yellow corn and, sadly, that's about it.

Taste: Starts with altogether meek tastes of water-washed grains and lightly sweetish corn husks. As about as little bitterness as one could have, though no real hop taste. All flavors seem vacant on the finish that delivers just a bit of tongue-tingling fizz.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium level of fizzy carbonation.

Drinkability: Clean and painfully over-filtered to a fault, really. A very empty experience, indeed! If you do come across a bottle or can of this, well, just be sure to drink it cold and drink it quick.

02-16-2010 23:13:54 | More by ChainGangGuy