Coors - Coors Brewing Company

poor

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev +39.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Why doesn't Coors sell more of this stuff? I had drank my fair share of Coors products before I had ever tried my first Banquet beer. Quite honestly I think this is one of the best American lagers, it hands down is much better tasting than Budweiser or MGD, and runs abot the same price (if you can find it). It has a solid amber color and is very well carbonated. It's just thick enough but not too thick for an American lager. It has a very grainy taste with a slight creamy vanilla flavor. This beer tastes great poured up in a frozen mug or off tap. I keep a 12 pack of 12oz cans in my fridge at all times. I love this beer after a hard day at work or with a meal. Overall this is a great "everyday" kind of beer.

cjstoltz, Dec 26, 2009
2.6/5  rDev +2%

A: Bright yellow color, with a poor foamy head, some bubbles too;

S: Smooth, fresh malt and grain with plenty of carbonation;

T: Sweet malt, grain and peanuts;

M: Fizzy, refreshing, light body;

D: Better than coors light, i enjoyed a lot with lunchables.

roddwolff, Dec 17, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +47.1%

I like beer. All kinds. IPAs, dopplebocks, pale ales, foreign/domestic, Macro/Micro. I do not disrespect a beer just cause it comes from a large corporation. I go on taste and the situation in which it is drunk, and try not to be snobbish.

In my youth, the only beer that was consumed by anyone was Coors. In the can, in the bottle, and on tap. 95% of store shelf was occupied by Coors. There was no such thing as Coors Light. (thank the Lord).

Then they changed the can. Then we started hearing stories of anti-union practices by the brewery.Then came Urban Cowboy w/John Travolta drinking Bud.

And things changed. The can does not look like it used to (or should) but this is still one damn fine American beer.

rednrag, Dec 13, 2009
2.75/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light golden color that is quite clear, and has a small head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Has somewhat of a sweet malt smell, but not much. It is somewhat bland.

Taste: A bit of hop kick with a mild malt background. Seems a little watered down; however, it is crisp and smooth.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin, but smooth. A little watery.

Drinkability: It's not bad for what it is. It's not going to make my "Must have again" list, but it does make my "Could have again" list.

civilizedpsycho, Dec 01, 2009
2.65/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a super clear sterile pale yellow with a medium white head. Smells slightly of alcohol, and PVC plastic oddly. Taste is bland, faint cooked corn flavor up front, slight grain middle, and a super watery finish that fades into oblivion. Mouthfeel is of carbonated water high carbonation - BAD. Drinkability is good though, very inoffensive tasting. An average beer.

EDIT: A LOT better than Coors Light though.

tronester, Nov 23, 2009
3.3/5  rDev +29.4%

Poured into a tumbler it produces a 1 inch head that leaves little lacing. The appearance is crystal clear and pale. The aroma is faintly of earthy hops and malt. The taste is of light hops with very mild bitterness and a hint of malt. I'm not getting any corn or rice in it. The feel is light bodied or thin with a clean finish. It's one of the more drinkable American majors, I have long prefered it over it's American adjunct lager competitors.

rfabian, Nov 16, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +14.9%

A - Pee yellow with almost no head or lacing
S - Smells like cold air. Well I guess that's what they want right? Some rice and malt smell with a very small hint of hops
T - The first taste is a refreshing kind of sweet hop flavor. This is quickly followed a pale malt flavor and then a rice finish. So basically it just goes downhill. You can taste what tastes like saaz hops. Definitely more pilsner taste than most of its BMC like beers. It tastes good but it as plain as shit. Absolutely no flavor depth at all.
M - Very smooth with light to medium mouthfeel
D - very very drinkably

VTaler, Nov 15, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -6.7%

Coors is like the other big breweries flagship beers. Bland, plain, not much in the beer. Great advertising, but you can't drink advertising.

Pours a clear light gold, about 1 finger of foam which has some staying power.

Smell, bland some corn some hops but only if I really try to find them.

Taste - bland boring, nothing much here, always has an unpleasant aftertaste for me.

Mouthfeel - thin

Drinkability - if your going out to have a few, you can drink these without getting in too much trouble.

njmoons, Oct 29, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +42.4%

OK, I know it's popular to knock the big boys and I've done my share. And, really, there is probably nothing all that special about old Original Coors. But when I was young this brew was only available in very limited areas. It's kind of hard to believe now, cuz Coors Light (which blows) is EVERWHERE. And I'm not sure if it's was just such a part of my youth that I am so fond of this beer but I am. I really love this brew. In the years since I've had so many different beers from all over the world. We were really into import way back before all the micro thing got off the ground...so I've had a great variety. I STILL like original Coors. It is a great beer to drink in quantity or just a beer with a burger. As long as they cook it and as long as I can..I'll be a Coors Original fan.

spaceranger, Oct 27, 2009

poured into pint glass
A: pours very piss corn yellow with the typical head that quickly disipates i
S: smells like corn mostly but some hints of barley come in to play too at the end of the smell
T: very corny up front but then mellows into a nice barley taste which leaves nice bready notes in your mouth
M: very crispy and thirst quenching is the best i can describe it but it is very good
D: i can drink alot of these of a really hot day no problem

hockeyhead, Oct 27, 2009
2.93/5  rDev +14.9%

Another mass-conumption driven marcrobrew lager. It's darker than Bud/Miller with a sweet-ish smell of grains and corn. Taste is fair. Mouthfeel is richer than other AALagers. At a ballgame or picinic this is a fine beer to drink as long as it's served cold. Nothing exceptional, but not terrible either.

BBri, Oct 22, 2009
2.1/5  rDev -17.6%

Drank a few straight from the bottle while standing with a bunch of guys at a party. It was some sort of communal symbol that I was one of the guys.

A- Well the ease of the twist off cap and the rather light weight of the glass bottle seemed to be calculated marketing characterists so make the beer easier to put in the mouth.

S- There was only a touch of corn to the smell.

T - Not repulsive as expected from experiences of other BMC's, just very boring. Lots of sweet corn and rice. no hop flavor to speak of.

M- it was carbonated and always flat by the time I got to the bottom of the bottle. Very Light body

O- Tasted better then the other BMC I've had. It was just lacking taste.

DwnTwnBwn, Oct 11, 2009
2.83/5  rDev +11%

I honestly can't believe I'm reviewing this beer.
A friend left a few cans at my place a week ago and I swore I would not have one but just had 2 Pliny the Elders and thought I want another beer and this is all I have left....SAD.

Suprised.

As a Lager goes...full flavored. Smells like shit but I thought it would taste much worse.

Would I have this again...no. But I needed a beer.

Not that bad.

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Sep 26, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +34.5%

For being a mass produced lager, it definitely is above the rest. Every part of the beer is the same as most mass produced beers with one deciding factor, taste. The taste is much fuller then most beers and is more appealing to a beer critique, though the average beer drinkers will usually shy away from it due to personal preference toward beer flavored water with alcohol added to it.

This is one beer that I'll buy one a hot summer day if available, usually its hard to find in my area and will choose it over any Bud or Miller lagers. Also works good in making beer bread too.

vandeg, Sep 02, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a transparent rich straw color that produces a pure white cap of foam that retains poorly and looks extremely fizzy.

S: Very grainy, wheaty, corny, and slightly metallic

T: Similar to the nose, except a little sweet note that is present. This beer has a distinct mineral note that I can easily use to distinguish this from Bud Light/Miller Lite, although that does not necessarily make this good.

MF/D: Over carbonated, watery, light/med body for the style.

scottyshades, Aug 28, 2009
2.95/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Pour is typical yellow, a little golden color.

S: Really empty. Maybe some faint hops? Smells of beer flavored water.

T: Watery, some hop bitterness. Acceptable for what it is.

M: Slight overcarbonation. Prickly on the tongue, especially when drank very cold (those good old blue mountains).

D: As shown by its popularity on the commercial scale, you can drink many of these in on sitting. Low alcohol content and extremely mild taste/flavors make this beer perfect for a long day in the sun.

Darkhorse09, Aug 12, 2009
2.9/5  rDev +13.7%

I've had this bottled or canned, right now I'm drinking out of a can poured into a glass.

Appearance: A typical American Golden color -- not pale yellow, but actually goldish looking, so I'll give it a little credit there.

Smell: Frankly, not good. It doesn't really bring to mind any beer ingredients, maybe a faint faint hint of a dash of hops. Otherwise it smells fairly unpleasant.

Taste: Unlike the smell, I actually enjoy the taste quite a bit. Immediately it presents almost no taste while in the mouth, especially if "your beer is cold" (blue mountains --great idea...). However, the aftertaste is pleasantly sweet, making it actually a very acceptable 'Banquet Beer'.

Mouthfeel: Not much here. It's pretty light. Maybe just the tiniest bit overcarbonated, but far from unpleasant.

Drinkability: I'll give this beer credit. The general blandness of the beer actually helps support its name of 'banquet beer', because it won't interfere with the taste of the food. However, the aftertaste makes it an enjoyable beer to quaff with a meal. Its 5.0% ABV rating makes it a beer you could enjoy over a long meal and into the night.

Overall, IMO, better than any miller product or bud product. Probably my favorite generic, cheap American Beer.

AmberMan22, Jul 31, 2009
2.98/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Bottle marked best by October 2009.

A: Standard lager coloring with not much head or lacing to speak of. High carbonation apparent.

S: Not much on the nose, I do get some sweet malt tone and a little bit of what I'll call adjuct tones as well.

T & M: Nicely balanced, malt doesn't overwhelm and finish is quite crisp. Mouthfeel is thin and I have to say that the taste is thin as well.

D: Drinkable but not my favorite BMC lager.

elniko, Jul 20, 2009
2.35/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a light gold color with a small head to it. The smell is of a slight malt to it. The taste is very faint not much to it, but it is of some malt note. The mouthfeel is pretty easy not overly carbonated. The drinkability is okay it isn't complex, but there are some notes to the beer. It is slightly malty in both aroma and taste.

goblue3509, Jul 18, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +43.1%

This one was quite a surprise. Crisp and refreshing, with a malty flavor and muted hops. Don't get me wrong, the flavor is weak and more than a little, watery but altogether pleasant. Not surprisingly, the aftertaste is limited but pleasant. Reasonably flavorful lager and particularly good for a mass market beer. As far as macros go, I usually prefer Miller, but I found this quite good and will order it when the truly good stuff is not available.

Smithj86, Jul 17, 2009

Can poured into a glass. In all my years of beer drinking i've never seen this or known it existed.

A- Out of the can, Banquet looks exactly like it's lighter brother, urine, yellow with some fizzy bubbles that dont come close to forming even a dismal cap. No lacing.

S- Well, this smells like coors light. Corn and light malts. Nothing more to add here.

T- Just a baby step more in taste than it's lighter brother, although it's not impressing me. Corn husks and malt, no more no less. No hop presense. It's not making me vomit though so it's got that going for it.

M- Light bodied with active carbonation. Goes down a bit smoother than CL.

D- I managed to get through the can but I had to dump some when it got to warm. If I was to drink this it would have to be extremely cold. The popularity of this shows me just how shallow Americans are, OK end of rant.

BARFLYB, Jul 12, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale yellow color with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of grain, adjuncts and light malts with a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste is mostly bready flavors of grain & adjuncts and the typical macro light malt sweetness. There's very little hops bitterness or any other flavor for that matter. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, clean finish.

D: Not very flavorful at all, goes down very easily since there isn't much to the beer, not filling for that same reason, it's comparable to most beers in the style even though there are several others which are more flavorful that I would pick first.

TheManiacalOne, Jul 11, 2009
1.95/5  rDev -23.5%

This beer is - as you already know - really bad. It's pee yellow colored, weak head, etc. Nose is surprisingly dirty, grainy sweetness. Flavor is likewise, not good. Feel is mediocre. It's bad, is all. Specifically stopped drinking as this was all that was available.

soupyman10, Jul 11, 2009
2.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Pours a crystal clear straw color with a soapy white head that quickly settles into a very light ring. The aroma is grainy sweet, corn with a hint of sulfur. The taste is quite sweet, grainy, veggies cooked in a sugar water solution. Doesn't really have that nasty veggie taste. The feel is light but not watery, an almost slick feel, it doesn't have that typical dry bite that most macros have to help balance the sweet malt. The brew drinks fine cold, wouldn't want to have it warm. Seems sweet for the style but doesn't have that grainy taste. Doesn't seem as crisp as it should.

Gmann, Jul 11, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -9.8%

What more can I say than what my grandpa used to drink, just like Coors light, except more full bodied with more carbonation.
A-Looks exactly like your diluted gold color Coors light, good head, alot of carbonation, no floaters of any kind, but looks like all the other light beers. Good for what it is in a sense.
S-Not alot to that at all, just smells like beer, the kind of beer you smell at every party or bar. Nothing special about it.
T-I prefer it over Coors light, but just slightly different than its "Light" partner. Crisp no doubt, good carbonation, but watered down, no kick to it all.
M-Taste like every other domestic beer such as Budweiser or Miller, but I do enjoy how crisp Coors is from its competitors.
D-Easy going down, no doubt about that, good for all mixed company. Much more crisp than other domestic beers, also more full body than Budweiser, thats for sure. It'll do for the party, and for those that want to be more adventuras than their light beer drinking buddies.

skullucr, Jul 04, 2009