Coors - Coors Brewing Company

poor

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Alström Bros
hiikeeba

3.43/5  rDev +34.5%

A - Pours up reddish yellow with a quickly dissipating head that disappears to nothing.

S - Smells of grain. Slightly husky.

T - Starts off with a bitter taste across back third of the tongue, and tastes of grain. Slight hop bitterness.

M - High carbonation helps build mouthfeel

D - Very drinkable.

08-31-2008 20:24:16 | More by hiikeeba
PatronWizard

I had a beer themed birthday party this year. Wife told everyone to bring me a unique bottle. Got some good stuff. Next morning I see one of these in an ice chest. I says to myself, "self, you shouldn't, but nobody's looking...." Words to die by.

Color is ... as expected. Big bubbled head for about 15 seconds. Embarrassing.

Smells like an aluminum shed.

Wow! It actually has a taste. Tastes like an aluminum shed. Banquet beer my ass.

Mouthfeel is fairly harsh.

They say it's brewed with Rocky Mountain water. I think they meant it's brewed with Rocky Mountain oysters. No offense to goats. 1's and 5's are reserved ratings in my book, but man I was tempted here. Sorry, "rate it for what it is" masters. I do respect that but damn, I didn't like this stuff at all. And apparently I'm one of the very few that would take Budweiser over this any day.

Overall: I did not like this beer

08-28-2008 06:56:58 | More by PatronWizard
Clockwork420

Missouri

3.9/5  rDev +52.9%

24oz can. $1.29 and some change.

Didnt bother drinking this in a glass, which is normally a big no-no, but what the hell.

A- its a can.

S- Smelled very faintly of corn and mish mash of alcohol. Slightly bready. Not much at all here.

T- Smooth and easy to drink. Just the right amount of carbonation, but It doesnt make me hiccup. Which is a massive plus.

M- easy to drink. I can imagine drinking about 12 of these on a hot summer day. On an empty stomach of course. Then finishing the day with some brats. Easy to drink. This would seem like the all around crowd pleaser. Everyone wouldnt "Mind it." Not much to it over all. Bubbly watery.

D- Very easy again. This is a high point I would say for this beer.

Easy on the hiccups, easy on the stomach. And its a pleaser for the entire family, Banquet for sure. For the price its a contender I would say with the other beers of its style and price. It is what it is. Take it or leave it. Dont rate it low because you wanted it to be a Trappist. Its every thing it promises and nothing else.

08-26-2008 04:34:51 | More by Clockwork420
changeup45

1.88/5  rDev -26.3%

Nothing special here, pretty standard pale lager swill. Golden/yellow color and pours with very little head. Grain-malt-corn-water taste, it isn't good but not ultra-offensive. You could do quite a bit worse (Budweiser). Just nothing I'm going to be looking for again.

08-23-2008 16:57:07 | More by changeup45
schanker21

2.2/5  rDev -13.7%

The only reason why I even bought Coors was to cook some brats, but I had a couple leftover and I didn't want them to go to waste so...

A- Piss yellow. With a two finger head that dissipates and leaves no lacing.

S- Smells like a cheap American macro.

T- Not terrible, but not anywhere near good either. No hops presence, malt taste is strong. Finishes with a nice adjunct flavor of corn and rice.

M- Thin.

D- Drinkable I suppose, though the adjunct taste gets to me after a while. Better than Budweiser, but even an average grocery store has much better choices for another couple bucks, so I don't see many situations where I'd buy this again.

08-19-2008 21:30:53 | More by schanker21
cvstrickland

2.88/5  rDev +12.9%

24-ounce can poured into a shaker pint glass yields a golden straw-colored body with a huge white head that retains surprisingly well at a fluffy sheet, but leaves only a few traces of lacing on the glass.

The smell is faintly malty with a bit of husky grain.

The taste of the drink is mildly sweet and pale-malty with a mellow herbal hop note and a clean finish. A sourish grainy flavor arises as the drink progresses.

Thin-bodied and watery with adequate carbonation that lends itself to good drinkability, true to style.

08-17-2008 22:50:10 | More by cvstrickland
corey0212

Connecticut

2.73/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a clear golden/yellow color, very slightly darker around the edges, small white head fades into a thin foamy layer atop the beer, negligible amount of lacing. Smell is grainy and sweet, no detectable hop presence, very generic "beer" smell. Taste is decent, a slight hint of lemon on the tongue, grainy/wheat taste, and yeah, these beers are meant for consuming fast and cold, because as I sit here typing my review, it's getting worse and worse. But those first few cold sips...OK. Mouthfeel on this is awful, very thin, but also quite drying on the tongue and roof of the the mouth...not really quenching at all. I could drink this at BBQ and be fine with it, and it's a whole hell of a lot better than its Light counterpart, so there's that. Otherwise, uninspiring.

08-15-2008 19:35:07 | More by corey0212
kinger

1.75/5  rDev -31.4%

There are few pale lagers that I like from the macro-breweries. Original Coors sits right on the border. The aroma and appearance are typical for this grouping. The taste is slightly better than most and it does have a good finish as long as it's ice cold. What I can't figure out is why this beer tastes completely different (and much better) than Coors Light which is simply horrible. Anyway I won't turn it down when it's offered.

08-01-2008 12:39:09 | More by kinger
sevopie

2.23/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance - Light yellowish. Head is close to non-existent.

Smell - Grainy as well. Slightly sweet.

Taste - What can I say, its a macro. Its my favorite macro, but its still kinda lame. Light and faintly grainy. Slight alcohol breadth to it, even though its only 5%

Mouthfeel - Heavily carbonated and light. Part of the stigma of macros, "refreshing."

Drinkability - I could drink these on a whim, but it doesn't mean they satisfy. At least its better than the light variation.

08-01-2008 11:13:56 | More by sevopie
NoahSYGG

2.75/5  rDev +7.8%

This is one of my favorite macros. I personally hate macros, but if i want a regular beer, I feel that coors is the king of macros. It has a golden straw color. it has some flavor but not a skunky budweiser flavor. If I had the option I would choose coors over bud or miller

07-27-2008 22:21:15 | More by NoahSYGG
twiggamortis420

3.35/5  rDev +31.4%

Pours into a pilsner glass a light golden color with fluffy bone white head that dissapates at a fairly rapid pace...but the bubbles keep feeding it!

Smells only slightly offensive with a heavy emphasis on malt, no hops aroma at all. Maybe a bit of corn in there as well.

Sweet light malt taste, heavy carbonation. A bit soapy. This is flavored water for sure, but it is not bad at all, actually somewhat enjoyable. Smooth and refreshing.

Dare I say the best of the macros? I think so. Drinkability is obviously high. Of all the BMC brands, this one works the best for me....for $13 a 18 pack, thats a good deal.

07-27-2008 19:56:26 | More by twiggamortis420
baos

Indiana

3.65/5  rDev +43.1%

Early on in high-school Coors was released in Indiana, because(so I heard) the law on cold transport of beer was changed. This made me an excited adolescent and I begged my brother, TGS, to buy some for my next edge of the cornfield campfire get together. This went on for the several years that followed, my tastes changed and I rarely bought Coors anymore (we never bought coors light we knew that shite was vile even then). Once and a while I'd get Coors,, but its probably been 10 years since I've had it in the can. I bought a sixer today and had a very ungourmet dinner of smoked sausage on bread with jalapeno mustard. I took a couple of bites then washed the mess down with the Coors in the can It remined me of the corfield beside my Grandmama's house and being young again. Not the best tasting method but I'm now on second beer and sandwich is washed away.

12 ounce can into Barilla jar.

A: Not bad pale straw yellow with 2 finger foamy head. Head disappears and there are bits of lace here and there.

S: Hay, apple juice, and grain husks,and fresh milled grains.

T: A bit of apple and metallic grains. Actually leaves the mouth a bit dry. Malt character isn't too bad.

M: Not too bad with a light body, although it gets pretty watery towards the end when the forced carbonation gives out.

D: I could make a can pyramid, and praise the folly of my youth; but, I'm only having a couple and writing out some bills
c'est la vie.

07-18-2008 23:58:16 | More by baos
Reagan1984

2.3/5  rDev -9.8%

This beer poured from the bottle and formed a wispy/foamy thin head that vanished almost immediately. Clear light gold in color with only a small amount of visible carbonation. No lacing whatsoever detected.

Aroma was very mild, mostly sweet and of grain. Maybe a hint of grassiness, but not much. Did smell fresh for whatever that is worth.

Taste was decidedly sweet and non malt like. Really tasted like another sweet grain. To be honest, I don't know if they use corn, rice, both but it tastes very different. Almost leaves a weird taste in the back of my throat. There is a slight bred like quality towars the end.

Mouth feel is light but almost sticky and I don't think it's very drinkable as I really do not enjoy the feeling it leaves in the back of my mouth and throat.

Wow, have not had a regular Coors in a long time. It will be a long time until I have another.

Not Impressed.

07-18-2008 19:08:10 | More by Reagan1984
tbeck

Washington

3.1/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance - Pale, straw yellow with a large white head.

Smell - Malty, hint of cereal grains

Taste - A lot of malt, some cereal grains and a hint of sugar. I got an aftertaste of cereal grains that was annoying.

Mouthfeel - Watery, not a lot of texture.

Drinkability - I would not mind drinking this beer in the outdoors, but not sitting around with buddies. It is an average american lager, nothing special.

Overall, a good session beer, not much else.

07-17-2008 02:28:28 | More by tbeck
Durge

Connecticut

3.3/5  rDev +29.4%

The classic light yellow/gold color with a shortlived bubbly white head and only a hint of lacing. I pick up only a very mild citrus cereal aroma, clean. It offers a mild cereal flavor, clean and clear with a bit of flowery overtones. Well carbonated and very refreshing and drinkable. Not as special as what I recall from the 70's!

07-11-2008 15:44:09 | More by Durge
Haybeerman

2.78/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Bright, clear straw yellow; very refreshing look (kind of the theme for this beer). Puored with a decent head, but didn't last through the first drink.

Smell: Not much here. Maybe a hint of sweet malt and not much else (unless youi can smell fizz).

Taste: Very crisp, very clean. Very little finish; aftertaste is nil. I get a hint of a green apple flavor.

Mouithfeel: Very, very light almost non-existent body. Warming a bit didn't have any effect. If crips and clean is what you want, drink lots very cold.

Drinkability: This beer goes down really easy and I could drink a lot if that's what I wanted to do.

07-09-2008 14:54:54 | More by Haybeerman
JDV

I enjoyed this masterful brew poured from the can into a plastic cup, just the way it was meant to be had. Smelled oh so deliciously of metal. In fact, if I had to put a number, I'd say it was a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. As my lips quivered in anticipation, the beer literally screamed "DRINK ME". Not to deny the outspoken desires of the fresh rocky mountain water, I obliged and tapped in to it. Taste of refreshing tin canned sweet corn. Fantastic. My taste buds were high fiving eachother, and chest bumping my uvula. They realized they were being rewarded today. Reminds me of the creamed corn gatorade flavor that was short lived in the mid 90's. The body on this exceptionally well canned beer was thin, just like I'd expect. So good, I drank about 10 full ounces of this nectar before eating some green chili cheese fries while listening to the gourds battle the Shady Grove crowd. My first Coors is a day I'll not soon forgot.

06-30-2008 18:38:30 | More by JDV
righlander

3.65/5  rDev +43.1%

pours a straw yellow from a 24 oz can. Looks very macro. Small head. Smells sweet malt. Some faint ghetto ass hops faintly. Taste is smooth, light, not bad. Big bubble mouth feel. Very drinkable on a hot summers day.

Pretty good macro. Better than I thought it would be. Nice price too at 1.50$ for the 24oz cans.

06-28-2008 00:56:54 | More by righlander
AustinBeerLvr

3.65/5  rDev +43.1%

Poured a 12 ounce can into a class "American shaker pint glass". Freshness date on the bottom of the can marked "Sep0708".

This marco lager actually pours with a bit more body than I expected. Decent head, but doesn't last long.

Coors has a somewhat distinctive, extreme refreshing, sort of mint like flavor and aroma to it that meshes nicely with the sweet malt. This extraordinarily clean like flavor is the first thing to hit the palate, and then the graininess of the malt comes through, especially as the beer warms a bit. The "clean" crisp flavor stays strong through the finish, almost completely eliminating any after-taste with the exception of a bit of graininess and a nice bite from the hops. Some rice adjuncts come through as well. Between sips, the ultra clean taste stays on the tongue, leaving you wanting another sip.

All things considered, this is a damn good macro lager. Not my favorite (that would be Pabst), but Coors does have a good amount of mouthfeel for the style, a distinctive "clean" flavor that makes it easy to drink, but at the same time does have a bit of character to it as well. Another reason I respect this brew is the fact Coors has not watered down the recipe for Coors original over the years. Honestly, especially on a hot day, this is a good brew to drink. Remember, ever type of brew has its place, and therefore should be respected. On a 90 degree day, I think most people would agree that this brew would be a good one to have around. Consume cold for best taste.

06-21-2008 01:04:14 | More by AustinBeerLvr
dubman003

New Hampshire

2.98/5  rDev +16.9%

I picked up a 6-pack of these Coors "Banquet"s specifically because I hadn't seen them on the shelf before. Normally, I avoid Coors, but these didn't offend me. They were also completely devoid of anything distinct except maybe that familiar Coors Light burp taste.

I drank directly from the can so I have nothing to say on appearance; however, the mouthfeel was better than Coors Light which I find extremely syrupy. This was only partially so in comparison, but still too much "phlegm".

Drinkability? Sure, if you are at a cookout, but I wouldn't keep these around to impress anyone.

06-05-2008 19:05:50 | More by dubman003
CrellMoset

2.7/5  rDev +5.9%

From a 12 oz. bottle, poured into a traditional American pint glass.

Appearance: Filtered, crystal-clear yellow/straw body contains fast-moving, tight carbonation. A bubbly one-finger head fades within ten seconds to almost nothing. Lacing is practically non-existent, and what does last after one takes a sip drops quickly down the sides of the glass.

Aroma: Creamed corn, sulfurs, a light metallic note and - believe it or not - some crisp, floral hops. They're barely noticeable, but they're there, so that counts for something.

Taste: Some hop bitterness attempts to balance out a sweet, simple-sugar malt base, and some light rind/floral hop notes are present. Some definite mineral presence from the water is also obvious - tastes like the Rockies, I suppose.

Mouthfeel: Similar to most macro lagers - very thin, and, although its smooth and tightly carbonated at first, overly expressive, large-bubbled carbonation that seems to be barely contained under the surface explodes forth easily, leaving a flat brew in its wake.

Drinkability: The thin body and lack of alcohol make this a very easy-going drink and, although there's not much here in terms of flavor, it is more flavorful than any of the other big three American macro lagers. That being said, it's still not great, and there are a few noticeable unpleasant/off-flavors and -aromas.

Not nearly as bad as many of the options out there, and probably not as bad as I expected it to be when I first tried it. To be fair, it's also actually a pretty decent beer to cook with (although its price may have something to do with that - I'd never be able to bring myself to sautée anything in Duvel). So, although I can't recommend you bring a six-pack to a BBQ or a dinner party, I will suggest that you make fun of a friend who does less than you make fun of the friend who brings the sixer of Bud.

06-05-2008 16:55:55 | More by CrellMoset
PatrickJR

3.08/5  rDev +20.8%

I reviewed this last week from the bottle, but then I remembered how I used to love drinking this from the can. I picked up a can earlier and decided to see if there was any difference. The cream colored label is really inticing.

Poured from 24 oz can into nonic pint glass.

A - Perfectly clear, pale yellow. One finger head dies quickly into nothing with no lacing.

S - A little better than some macros. Slight vanilla/fruit malt smell backed by generic corn and grain.

T - The taste is much closer to that of a light lager; I slammed down quite a few Budweisers last weekend and remember them having more flavor than this. It's not bad, but fairly bland. The faint sweetness from the nose hits first, followed by typical grain and cereal taste that's actually a lot more muted than most macros. A brief and uninteresting earthy hop note slides in late palate accompanied with some sharp bitterness for the style. Finishes clean.

M - Belch inducing, but a less watery than I'd expected.

D - Beer just ain't the same since I really branched out and started understanding the beverage...a can of Coors was one my last refuges when it came to American lager. I could drink this, but it certainly doesn't taste like it used to to me.

05-31-2008 04:39:46 | More by PatrickJR
rye726

1.95/5  rDev -23.5%

This stuuf is okay. Good color and head for a macro lager, but nothing special. Like always, the smell is always my least favorite aspect of these beers. Can never explain it very well, but just a bad mixture of malt and hops.

Taste is okay. Many off flavors and well hidden by the water and malt. Bad hops. Feel is light with over load carbonation. I can't drink more that 1 of these.

05-05-2008 04:16:08 | More by rye726
flatblack80

2.3/5  rDev -9.8%

what can i say, its coors.
Light in color, light in head retention, and light in body.
Not very distinctive in taste or mouthfeel.
overall just a beer.
but man, can i pound these down. not looking to enjoy my beer, but just to get drunk, why not grab a coors. I can drink them forever and never waste a whole $20 bill.

04-21-2008 22:35:24 | More by flatblack80
Offa

1.73/5  rDev -32.2%

This is really bad, not so much because it tatses nasty (it doesn't), but because it has almost no taste at all.

It is very pale straw, more pale than seems to me the norm for the style, with an amaemic, sickly quality. It has a small, fizzy white head that soon vanishes to just a few bubbles.

It smells rather like a weaker version of Schlitz Malt Liquor, which isn't bad at all, but not great - grain, epsecially corn, with some alcohol and a faint flowery quality.

The taste is on the first sip basic but decent, light corn with a hint of sweet candy. What flavour there is, though, almost totally vanishes after that, leaving only a rough, faintly bitter, thin, fizzy, dirty, old mineral-water quality and absolutely nothing else. Even the corn and candy tastes vanish.

The first time I tried this, I thought that the can might be old. But, I have tried it bottled since and it's still the same: after one sip, it's unpleasant, dirty mineral water. That said, it is rather crisp and a little refreshing and, because of the blandness is kind of easy to drink. This ranks far below Miller High Life or Pabst Blue Ribbon to me, and is even below regular Budweiser (not Bud Light) and Red Dog.

04-21-2008 16:50:32 | More by Offa