Coors - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Alström Bros
1.59/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Label says "cold as the rockies"; since I got it out of the fridge and then somehow got distracted for a half hour, it wasn't all that cold. Is it somehow intrinsicly cold on another astral dimension? Here in this dimension and at this time and place, I'm less than impressed in any kind of good way. The cold as the rockies seems to me to have been one of this beers major attributes, its serving temperature. Doesn't work. I didn't pour it out since that would warm it even more. The aroma in the bottle was "beer" and nothing more. Give it the benefit of the doubt in appearance since it remained in the bottle. Taste was world common beer and while not bad, certainly nothing I'd ever seek out cept if the other options were somehow worse. Body is like ....beer. Finish is like flavor. And forgetfully short. Nuff said.

3.5/5  rDev +36.7%

Coors is a good beer to drink everyday. Usually, I will drink Bud, but have been trending towards Coors. It is a nice, smooth lager, similiar price to Budweiser.

And they trucked Coors in Smokey and the Bandit movie...

Most of the time I will purchase a 30 pack of Coors, $20. The tall thin cans are growing on me.

4.35/5  rDev +69.9%

A - Looked good.

S - Smelled good.

T - Good balanced beer. Now I know why they call it "Colorado Kool-Aid". No bitter or bad aftertaste.

M - Very good.

D - This one will be a regular in the beer fridge. This and Pabst are the best of the macros, and they do not disappoint.

3.08/5  rDev +20.3%

So I had a huge party last night, and someone left a 12 pack of banquet beer in my fridge. I never really have had the banquet beer in the past, so I was eager to try it. I thought it would be disgusting, but I was wrong. It's actually not that bad.

I filled up my pilsner glass with the banquet beer. The first thing I noticed is that the head vanished very fast, but that is not rare with macros. The beer has a nice golden color. It has very little smell. I can faintly smell the hops but it is not much to speak of. The taste is smooth and not very bitter. I think it has more flavor than most American macro lagers.

For the money, this beer is not bad. It tastes better than most American macros. I think it could be good for a bbq or a sports event, or any casual activity where one does not want to spend a lot on beer.

3.15/5  rDev +23%

I used to think this beer was fairly decent, drank cold straight from the long neck bottle. Now that I'm finally getting around to reviewing it, I'm not that impressed. Slightly darker than pale gold, with a rocky mountain cap of white foam. Smells exactly like any other BMC product, and doesn't taste all that much better. Not so great from the glass.

Style: Pilsner
Brewery: Coors Brewing Company
Location: Golden CO FOOL!
Website: http://www.coors.com/
Serving Type: 12 Fl.Oz.
ABV: 5.0 ABV

Pour: Smooth pour with a even pilsner head, the head dies off within one minute of pour.

Smell: The beer has a buttery yeast smell to it with a hint of hops and malt.

Taste: This is the true American pilsner, its smooth and crisp. However it has some nice yeasty taste to it and the light hint of maltiness. I do not taste the same beer when i drink it on the east coast.

Drinkability: I drink this beer regularly, it has a nice buttery taste to the yeast. Two things need to be noted about this beer, 1) It doesn't taste good from a bottle 2) It doesnt taste good outside of Colorado, seriously.

Note: On the 1936 can it says, "export lager" it was so good we exported it...but not to the east coast? Where the hell did they export it? HA!

2.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance: Gross yellow hue. Kind of artificial looking...almost like...dare I say...darker urine (which ironically is VERY un-artificial).

Smell: Stale bread with some maltiness. Not good. Not bad. Not impressed.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Coors Original tastes like stale biscuits. The worst part is it leaves a very stale and bitter taste in your mouth.

Drinkability: I had a hard time finishing this honestly and my buddy and I debated who would finish the rest of the 6-pack.

Overall: Coors Light definitely improves this beer. I was definitely hopeful that this beer would be a classier macrobrew. Unfortunately, it did not live up to this at all.

2.71/5  rDev +5.9%

Love the can...when poured very light golden color with no real head. Smell is almost non-existant...just typical grain smell. Sweet to my palate...no real hops flavor. Very carbonated...tickles the mouth not very enjoyable. To me better than Bud or MGD...A beer to get drunk on (not a good reason to drink beer).

2.52/5  rDev -1.6%

Light golden straw color. Extremely carbonated. Little bubbles, little white head, no lacing whatsoever. Aroma, corn pops cereal.

Thin body, prickly hops, even though not substantial. Good zip brisk feel to it. Taste some metal. Nothing to speak of flavor wise beyond what you get the first sip. Drinkable, but this stuff isn't exactly a good value with what you get for it, but I guess MillerCoorsSAB has an advertising budget to pay.

2.23/5  rDev -12.9%

What a letdown. Stopped on a whim and bought a case of longnecks remembering how much we all enjoyed this beer 35 years ago. Lesson learned.

Coors Original is a beautiful beer in a glass. Good lacing. Nice head. Light golden in color. Unfortunately, appearance is where it ends.

I'm a hop nut and, while the beer has a faint hop aroma, the hop taste is lacking. In fact, just about any taste is lacking.

Mouthfeel is crisp and clean.

Drinkability? Let's just say that from now on, I'll drink it if someone else buys it.

In conclusion, this Coors experience was kind of like kissing your sister. In the heat of the moment, it may have seemed like a good idea. In retrospect...what the hell was I thinking? On a side note, the answer is "No". I've never kissed my sister. :P

3.16/5  rDev +23.4%

This is a big step up from Coors Light, which I find to be almost undrinkable. For an adjunct lager, they do an OK job of making something that has a relative amount (and I mean that in regards to other adjunct lagers) of taste, and keeps that poundability that this style demands.

Really got introduced to regular Coors on my trips to Hawaii, where beer selection is very limited, and Bud and Miller lite reign supreme. I turned to Coors as a safe haven from these two products as well as from the copious amounts of sugar & rum drinks that proliferate there.

Plus, I love how every time I drink one of these the song "East Bound and Down" goes through my head! Make it to Texarkana and back in 28 hours?! You bet!!

Pours a light yellow color, nice carbonation, small white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some hops, slight caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, slight hop note. Light body. Not drinkable, would not buy again.

2.75/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a light yellow with a quickly fading fizzy head. The smell and taste are typical macro with the only difference being a little more rice, which could be mostly due to my imagination as much as it being a cheap ingredient. What are you going to do, this is an American macro, Meant to be inoffensive and able to be consumed in massive quantities, this beer delivers on those qualities if nothing else.

2.2/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

I don't like this beer. It's too thick. There is slight tastes of malts and hops. But it's water seemingly thickened up. I don't like it won't drink it again even if it's on keg. If Coors is used as a banquet beer like it says it is then I'm not going to banquets anymore.

2.47/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a straight-sided pint glass. The mountains are blue, so you know it's good to go.

Appearance: Pours a very pale straw color with hints of gold in it. Has a slim one-finger head that dies down very quickly and actually manages to leave some lacing on the glass.

Smell: Pretty nondescript smell of sweet grains and malts with essentially no hop scent.

Taste: Very little to the taste in this one. Just some sweet adjuncts and malts. There's a slight bittering effect towards the end to temper the ineffectual presence of the malts, but aside from that there's not a whole lot going on.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin mouthfeel, but it's pretty crisp and leaves the palate pretty dry, so there are no complaints here for what it is.

Poundability: I think adjuncts should be measures in their poundability rather drinkability, and having said that, this is a fairly poundable brew. It's really light and fairly crisp, but how many of these would you really like to drink?

Overall, this is a decent adjunct lager that is not particularly repulsive, which is a compliment to any adjunct. I wouldn't drink it often, but for what it is, it's not terrible.

2.8/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. "Banquet" bottle, no freshness date

A - Pours the usual light gold with a fizzy white head and no cap or lacing to speak of.

S - Cooked corn, slightly stale/funky grains, the lightest wisp of hop aroma I'll probably ever catch.

T - Sweet grains, corn, perhaps a grazing...no, a slight misting of hops. Lingering corn funk.

M - Gotta give Coors some credit here, their flagship is reasonably smooth and not as obnoxiously fizzy as some other macros that tend to drink more like soda pop.

D - I'd peg this as fractionally better than Miller and Bud, though your friends who aren't beer nerds probably won't even notice the difference. There are other beers of this style that are marginally better, but Coors will do the job at backyard BBQs or in front of the TV.

2.11/5  rDev -17.6%

Twelve ounce bottle under the "Banquet" title downed at the nearby Taco Mac in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours out a clear, thin-looking, yellow body with an equally thin, fizzy, white head.

Smell: Particularly light, dull notes of grain and yellow corn and, sadly, that's about it.

Taste: Starts with altogether meek tastes of water-washed grains and lightly sweetish corn husks. As about as little bitterness as one could have, though no real hop taste. All flavors seem vacant on the finish that delivers just a bit of tongue-tingling fizz.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium level of fizzy carbonation.

Drinkability: Clean and painfully over-filtered to a fault, really. A very empty experience, indeed! If you do come across a bottle or can of this, well, just be sure to drink it cold and drink it quick.

2.65/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured a 710-ml can into an extra large draught glass.

Appearance - pours a clear golden colour with not much head that quickly goes away and average carbonation. Zero head within 2 minutes of pour.

Smell - very clean smelling beer, full of sweet corn and very light and tinny hops.

Taste - simple, sweet malt over a slight aluminum bitterness that is over-carbonated and lacking in any noticeable flavour. While there are worse beers this is not good at all.

Mouthfeel - even enough but the annoying carbonation makes me remember days when I didn't know what good beer was.

Drinkability - there's a box of wings in the oven, it's the only pairing, along with a slice of pizza that does any justice.

2.96/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance has a light golden color with a less than fair crisp head. Smell is very clean, maybe some very light corn. Taste is bigger than the smell with corn, some grainy sweetness and light hop. Mouthfeel is light with a good spike of carbonation. Overall a good drinking American macro.

2.86/5  rDev +11.7%

Coors has always been a tradition to starting the NFL season, a 12 pack and the Thursday night NFL game. Anyways back to reviewing the beer.

Look: Poured 12 oz bottle into a mug. Tainted yellow gold color.

Smell: Big meaty smell, with barley malt and a hint of alcohol.

Taste: Nothing really special, sort of like a big piece of beer with bready grains. Kind of smooth for the taste.

Mouthfeel: Not much, just a little grainy taste left.

Drinkability: Surprisingly really easy, thats why you can have like 12 during a football game.

2.78/5  rDev +8.6%

A: The pour is a crystal clear golden color with a fluffy white head that quickly dissipates.

S: The smell is full of sweet grain and some malt, without any hops. Fortunately, not much, if any skunk in this one.

T: Much like the nose, this beer is sweet and grainy with a slight maltiness.

M: Light in body with a high level of carbonation.

D: To be honest, one of the better adjunct lagers (although, that's not saying much). A decent enough beer for drinking games or at a ballgame, etc.

2.83/5  rDev +10.5%

You have to love the original Banquet beer. Coors is a much better beer than Budweiser in my opinion. You get a fairly light beer with some decent flavor. It isn't a huge difference from the traditional Coors Light, but it does bring a slightly different flavor. I prefer Coors Light to Coors, but I'll pick up a Coors if I'm feeling a little fancy.

3.35/5  rDev +30.9%

I am drinking this from the 12 ounce can. I know this brew has a golden hue with a good amount of carbonation. Very tasty more grainy, cereal flavor than hops, hops not really noticed at all. No real complex flavors here. Just a basic refreshing brew. For me its a good go to beer.

2.23/5  rDev -12.9%

I drank this from a bottle into a pint glass.

The beer pours a clear straw carbonated gold with a light white head, poor retention and lacing.

The aroma is light and lots of skunk. The taste is basically the same.

I prefer Coors light to the regular Coors, not as bitter and easier to drink.

3.55/5  rDev +38.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Why doesn't Coors sell more of this stuff? I had drank my fair share of Coors products before I had ever tried my first Banquet beer. Quite honestly I think this is one of the best American lagers, it hands down is much better tasting than Budweiser or MGD, and runs abot the same price (if you can find it). It has a solid amber color and is very well carbonated. It's just thick enough but not too thick for an American lager. It has a very grainy taste with a slight creamy vanilla flavor. This beer tastes great poured up in a frozen mug or off tap. I keep a 12 pack of 12oz cans in my fridge at all times. I love this beer after a hard day at work or with a meal. Overall this is a great "everyday" kind of beer.

Coors from Coors Brewing Company