Coors - Coors Brewing Company

poor

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into an SA pint glass.

A: Poured a very clear, clean light yellow color with a thin, fizzy head of carbonation which left a fizzling ring of lace for a quarter of the brew. Diet ginger ale, anyone?

S: Smells slightly sweet and acrid, with a metallic nose and slight floral bitterness.

T: Taste is very watery and riddled with cooked corn, light malt husk and slightly toasted notes with herbal hops ever slightly in the finish. The finish is like something off the periodic table. Not good.

M: Mouthfeel is sharp, crisp and slightly astringent.

D: A primo lawnmower beer for the macro fan. I had one while waiting for my grill to heat up, and felt out of place drinking it. Session this over the light, if you have to make that terrible choice.
D:

2.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Considering I drink Coors Light all the time I figured I try regular old Coors for once. There's nothing special about it. Smells pretty generic, like its peers (Budweiser, MGD). The taste is smooth, and light but I am not sure it is supposed to. I bummed this off my roommate and I don't think I would buy it. Maybe, if I feel like changing it up at a local bar I'll drink it again... but it'd be a longshot.

On-tap at Louie's near Emmaus for $2.50 a pint. Not bad. I guess I could say this is one of my preferred adjunct beers as there's not offensive to me in here. I guess it reminds me a bit of Yuengling Premium. There's basically just a sweetish bread that fades off into a mild ginger ale flavor. It is a bit thicker than most adjunct beers, but still fairly drinkable - especially because it doesn't suck.

2.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Review is for the COLD ACTIVATED can, not the regular one, just in case there is a resulting difference on the palate.

Pours very pale golden color, transparent, with short lived white head.

Nose is light corn with a faint suggestion of Sprite soda-pop.

Palate is very light bodied, fizzy, faint grain and corn flavors (very, very light in flavor), and a subtle sweetness from the grain. Minimal hops.

Not as watery as Budweiser, but still very watery. Only mildly offensive as an adjunct lager.

I didn't drink Coors for several years but recently have been buying it more. It seems to have a cleaner crisper taste than I recall from years ago. I prefer the wide, vented drinking hole in the can, and the can fits my hand better than Budweiser..if you haven't tried it in a while, I recommend it. The mountains on the can are blue gray when cold and turn white as the beer disappears. How cool is that? Great beer.

2.35/5  rDev -8.2%

Appearance - Very pale yellow, but not as weak as some light macros you see

Smell - Has that very distinct light american beer smell, almost skunky but not quite there yet

Taste - suprisingly not as disapointed here as I was expecting. I usually avoid the none light macros (budweiser disgusts me) but this one actually isn't as bad. Has some nice subtle flavors without the nasty flavors some macros have

Mouthfeel - Water, obvious one here nothing special here

Drinkability - Where beers like this thrive (not to quote the commercials buy they are true) could easily have a few of these in one night

3.1/5  rDev +21.1%

A: A pale, clear yellow color with a fairly large, foamy white head. Retention is typical, with some patchy lacing. Large, active bubbles are visible right off the bat.

S: Light, bland graininess. Some vague leafy hops. A bit of a mineral/sulfur-esque aroma as well.

T: A dose of faintly sweet, grainy malt up front. Some minimal leafy hop flavor is present. Sweet corn and a touch of dextrose. Another mineral twang into the finish.

M: Standard medium-light feel. Carbonation is fairly active. A bit of dryness in the finish.

D: Typical in so many respects. This one does get credit for having a bit of character, even if that comes in the form of some slightly unusual flavors.

3.15/5  rDev +23%

I've never reviewed this and since I like variety, I'll give it a shot.

Pours a light gold color with a one-finger head into my pint glass. Seems normal for the style.

Aroma is clean with corn and sweet malt in the nose. Somewhat bready and tolerable.

Taste is full of sweet malt and corn upfront. Inoffensive. Smooth and easy. A bit watery but not too much.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery and full of the corn and grainy malt flavors.

It's easy and drinkable. Not going to rock your taste buds but it is more tolerable than a few other examples I've had.

2.28/5  rDev -10.9%

slurpable...better than bud...miller might beat it...hmmm.

more macroSwill...and maybe the best of the macroMacro....it's all about context. in this age of craft beers, why even reach for this? or bud? or miller etc products?

even with the ecoGnomic downturn, die broke drinking something like Nugget Nectar

4.33/5  rDev +69.1%

This is my favorite beer. I understand that some others might not like it, but I feel Coors has a rich, creamy flavor and is a perfect compliment to food (hence, "Banquet Beer"). I love the way Coors goes down, and is incredibly drinkable. I like craft beer as well, but this is the king of macrobrews in my opinion.

1.65/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

If you're at a wedding and its this or coors light, this is a tad better...but not much.

It has a nicer color and is a bit better in taste but only by comparision. It's not bad in your mouth and doesn't leave a terrible aftertaste like Coors light does.

3.8/5  rDev +48.4%

A- Pours a clear, pale, grassy color with lots of carbonation columns that form quickly. There wasn't much head except for a thin fizzy head that at least leaves a ring around the glass. Not much for lacing but it is there.

S- Has a fruity aroma....another reviewer got it right on with the likeness of bananas....I may even smell a faint pear aroma as well. There isn't really any hopped bitterness detectable, but the malts are there. I can also smell some corn, but it's not prominent.

T- This tastes pretty good! Much better than Coors light, and has nice flavor for a macro. Good malt flavors at the beginning, but no bitterness to round it out. Has a rich sweet flavor, but is clean at the same time, due to the corn/adjuncts used.

M- The carbonation isn't as sharp as I was expecting, and the liquid itself has a somewhat creamy. This leaves behind a sticky residue on the lips afterwards that reminds me of corn syrup.

D- Good beer! I like the refreshing nature of this one and would say that this is one of the better macros I've had. No problems here sticking with this one for an evening. Too bad I can't find it here in Alberta....will definitely pick up some more of this next time i'm in the States.

3.15/5  rDev +23%

Pours a golden color with a good deal of carbonation. Actually some lacing and a small head.

Smells like bananas and corn.

Smooth taste of corn with some grains. Slightly more carbonated than I remember and lighter tasting than I recall. I would bet they've changed this beer formula slightly in the past couple years.

Infinitely drinkable. With it's lack of offtasting adjuncts and smoothness you could accidentally drink a 6 pack.

The best of the Bud, Miller crowd (not saying much).

1.88/5  rDev -26.6%

Oh my god why do people buy this? Where is the hops and malt flavor? This is like sparkling water gone evil. I would have to compare this to bottled water and say this could be refreshing on a hot day like a cold glass of water but come on, it's so tasteless I could not really consider this a beer.

Any resemblance to a true lager is a miracle.

1.83/5  rDev -28.5%

On tap at the Coors Brewery Tour.

I asked for their Original and was promptly corrected that I should order thier Banquet beer (they also bragged that this would be the freshest beer I would ever try).

Poured a medium yellow color with a smaller sized white head. Aromas and tastes of grain and corn. Lively and fizzy body that made me want to hurl.

Notes from: 12/12/06

2.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this at a recent party and thought I would give it a review.

Poured a crystal clear yellow with a nice frothy head that dissipated very quickly with no lacing

Barely any complexity to the smell, some corn and biscuit notes.

From some of the other macro's I've had, this one probably tastes the best, but not by much. Lots of corn and rice with a dash of cooked vegetables with a very smooth and clean/crisp finish.

This sucker was highly carbonated, and watery.

The drinkability is good, but I don't think I would put alot of these down.

2.23/5  rDev -12.9%

This is not one of my favorite brews. Personally I'm more of a Coors light fan than a fan of this. Something is just off. It tastes like it's too strong for this style of beer. Head and color were decent though. Better from a can but it's still not worth buying. Just stick to a case a Coors light.

2.88/5  rDev +12.5%

Looks like corn juice, smells like corn juice, tastes like corn juice. Welcome to the world of cheap macros!!! But probably between PBR and Bud Light (PBR being the higher) in the chain of shitty beers. I don't know what a "banquet" beer is but apparently Coors is the creme de la creme of them according to their slogan....therefore I will never attend another banquet in my life.

2.1/5  rDev -18%

Appearance is much like a urine sample with a little bit of head and some lace that actually lingers.

Smell is 20% lighter fluid/80% vegetable soup.

Taste is typical macro. Carbonation is good and if well chilled, this would be a decent lawnmower beer. Sadly it's January in New York, so strike that.

As an aside, I remember when you couldn't buy Coors on the East Coast. As a kid, I remember reading Hot Rod magazine and seeing ads for "Coors, Breakfast Of Champions" tee shirts and not having a clue as to what Coors was. Years later Paul Newman, in a Play Boy magazine interview, proclaimed Coors the best beer in the world. And at one point my local beer distributer was selling Coors for a brief time in New York at 3 times the price of Bud. When I visited my sister in law in CA, I guzzled cans of Coors and when my buddy went to visit his parents in Colorado, I always had him bring back a case of Coors. I remember Adolf Coors saying they wouldn't sell their beer unless the retailer kept it refridgerated. I seem to remember Coors to be an exceptional American beer at the time. Or was it just mystique. In any case this beer pretty much sucks today. And at 99 cents for a 24 oz can, Coors knows that.

2.38/5  rDev -7%

This beer isn't really worth a well detailed review. This beer along with a few other American macro beers pretty much have the same impression on me.
Iv wound up drinking this beer on many occasions(beer pong) before I really started tasting beers. I thought it wasn't bad.
The taste is a bit better then Bud Light, but nothing really special. To me its like water...

3.45/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a clear pale straw color with a decent foamy head. The head doesn't hang out long.

S- somewhat astringent. It surprisingly gives off a mild alcohol aroma. A touch of fruity malt kicking around in there somewhere...

T- This brew seems to lean slightly towards the bitter end of the spectrum for the style. A watered down bready malt.

M- Thin bodied, perhaps a little over carbonated.

D- OK. average for the style.

1.93/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears crystal clear pale yellow/gold with very high carbonation. Thin ring of head that actually retains throughout nearly the entire consumption (Surprising!) No lacing. Smells of cooked vegetables, mostly corn, with musty biscuity malt & tart grape notes.

taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of cooked vegetables, mostly corn, and rice in the aftertaste. Biscuity or bread like malt, kind of musty. Some tart citrus notes of course, no change as it warms. Mouthfeel is silky and smooth and has a lite-medium body.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - One could drink this all night long with no problem. Its just another easy to drink Adjunct Lager, In my opinion. I was however very surprised on the appearance of this one. It held a thin head throughout almost the entire consumption! Maybe cause my glass was really clean. I think this Adjunct will be on my short list of finding the best Adjunct out there.

Update - I recently tried this beer again, and it tasted like Colt 45 Malt liquor! I couldn't believe it, my palate just developed more for sure, and I certainly won't have this again.

2.23/5  rDev -12.9%

the banquet beer? what the hell does that mean? I used to enjoy Coors more than the other macros when I was in college. that may not be the case any longer.

the look is a strong piss yellow, with a head that disappears instantly.

scents of rusty water and moldy grains.

the flavor starts with the adjuncts, and end with it. all grains and corn flavor. slight sourness in there.

creamy mouthfeel but slighly underwhelming.

cheap, baby. not very tasty, baby. but the ability to guzzle this without thinking is pretty good. of course, if you like beer with actual flavor, stay away.

3.35/5  rDev +30.9%

Appearance:
Head formation (~1 finger) is very quick; retention is less-than-stellar and lacing is minimal. The beer itself is an incredibly translucent pale gold color. There is TONS of visible carbonation.

Smell:
It smells like a pretty "standard" beer. I suppose its main aromas are corn, grain, and barley (not necessarily in that order). One might say it's kind of "earthy," but not really in a great way.

Taste:
This brew is fairly sweet, but moderate bitterness hits you along with it - it doesn't linger. It's hard to say that the taste is anything other than average. I guess the best way to describe it is a sweet graininess with moderate bite.

Mouthfeel:
This beer is pretty light, but not watery. The excess carbonation tingles the tongue, adding to crispness.

Drinkability:
I suppose this is the most redeeming characteristic; it's quite easy to throw a lot of these down. Since there isn't a lot of "good" flavor and it lacks thickness, it's quite easy to drink. The beer is very crisp and clean.

Summary:
This would probably be my favorite of the "Big 3" (Miller, Coors, Budweiser) simply because it's not awful. It's nothing stellar, but it's drinkability makes it go well with food - either cooking or eating. It goes great with deep dish pizza.

1.78/5  rDev -30.5%

Terrible stuff. Way to sugary for me to really enjoy. I didn't pour it into a glass because I didn't have one near. While it's easy to drink multiple (to get drunk) I would definitely not waste my money on this. Unluckily I was given this beer as the only choice. No hop taste whatsoever just a predominate sugary aftertaste after the four gulps it took to down the beast.

While I respect what Coors has done for the beer industry, I really don't see the drinkability of this beer unless it's for beer-pong.

Coors from Coors Brewing Company