Coors - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +50.4%

Coors
Coors Brewing Company
Style: American Adjunct Lager
ABV: 5.00 %

A 3.5 - light golden straw in color, noticeable carbonation, better head than most macros, 1.5 with mediocre lacing.
S 3.5 - semi sweet corn/malt aromas, almost like a beefed up miller high life?
T 4.0 - not bad for macro, semi sweet malt an roasted corn on palate. Not bad considering it was Jim Morrison's favorite beer. If the lizard king liked it, it must be okay right?
MF 4.0 - more full bodied tham most macro adjuncts, but still thin compared to most crafts. 4.0 for the style, better than most AAL.
D 4.0 - Surprisingly better than I remember for an A Adjunct Lager. Not my first pick in a brew, but would be top pic if I have to choose from a beer for the masses.

3.03/5  rDev +18.4%

A- Better than most macros. Bigger white head than I expected, with some retention (but not a lot). A bit richer in golden color.

S- Slightly metallic with some nice grainy/corn aroma. Nothing special. Kind of like PBR.

T- Kind of like Budweiser. A relatively strong corn/grain malt profile. Pretty good aftertaste too. Not bad for a macro.

M- Thicker an less carbonated than I thought it would be. Not bad.

D- Like a macro--can slug them down, but I would reach for something else.

3.13/5  rDev +22.3%

Poured from a can into a weizen glass. Pale yellow color with a small head. Hardly any traces of aroma. Feels light and watery in the mouth. Very mild flavor. It is a highly drinkable beer that does not fill you up. Good for drinking games I suppose but not a beer to savor.

2.98/5  rDev +16.4%

I looked up the weather in Vail and it was 52.9 F, and I cursed. If my Coors turned as cold as the Rockies then I knew it would taste like ass. So I said to hell with it and put it in the fridge and cooled it down to the lower 40's. I was rewarded. Coors Original has, unlike Coors Light, flavor. Something that I desire in my beer. It's not much but it is there and it's even marginally enjoyable. This, along with Budweiser are my go to beers during those all too often situations when a gun is held to my head and I'm being forced to drink a macro lager.

Aroma:
Slight grain, fresh cut apples, nothing nasty here, though nothing to get excited about.

Appearance:
Big frothy head with a mixture of small and big bubbles. Some staying power! But not that much. A thin layer of foam remains on top. Star bright of course. A bright golden yellow hue.

Taste:
Nice backend sweetness, even some very slight caramel...did they use...ingredients...in this beer? Light snappy bitterness that barely lingers into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel/Carbonation:
Thin mouthfeel and lively carbonation.

2.86/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was served cold and in a pint glass.

Appearance: The beers appearance is actually a very pleasing bubbling clear golden coloration. The head is white and quickly resolves to a ring of foam.

Smell: The beers aroma has a bit of vaguely vegetable water aroma. This is well covered up by oddly enough a floral smell.

Taste: This beer has a bit of lemony lime character. The beer seems a bit grainy but not straight up corn.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The beers body is light. This beer seems to be a bit more well rounded than Bud or Miller. The carbonation is active but I think it adds to the beer. In all honesty given the terrible choice between BMC. I think I will have to go with Coors as my oh shit no other choice beer.

When poured from the 'Banquet' bottle, the foam was smooth and creamy. The color was a light watered down yellow with alot of carbonation. The smell was semi-skunky, with hints of wheat and hops. The taste was of a watered down version of your typical pils, but with no real taste. Mouthfeel - light-bodied, crisp and very carbonated. Drinkability - has a 'no taste' value and the longer it takes to drink it, it tastes even worse.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

One of my all-time fondest beer drinking memories is two ice-cold tallboy Banquet Beers fresh out of the ice chest after finally making it back to my lodgings following an epic Eastern Sierra hike. Paired with a fresh deli sandwich, beer has never tasted better, 14,505' style...

3.07/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into an SA pint glass.

A: Poured a very clear, clean light yellow color with a thin, fizzy head of carbonation which left a fizzling ring of lace for a quarter of the brew. Diet ginger ale, anyone?

S: Smells slightly sweet and acrid, with a metallic nose and slight floral bitterness.

T: Taste is very watery and riddled with cooked corn, light malt husk and slightly toasted notes with herbal hops ever slightly in the finish. The finish is like something off the periodic table. Not good.

M: Mouthfeel is sharp, crisp and slightly astringent.

D: A primo lawnmower beer for the macro fan. I had one while waiting for my grill to heat up, and felt out of place drinking it. Session this over the light, if you have to make that terrible choice.
D:

2.56/5  rDev 0%

Considering I drink Coors Light all the time I figured I try regular old Coors for once. There's nothing special about it. Smells pretty generic, like its peers (Budweiser, MGD). The taste is smooth, and light but I am not sure it is supposed to. I bummed this off my roommate and I don't think I would buy it. Maybe, if I feel like changing it up at a local bar I'll drink it again... but it'd be a longshot.

2.98/5  rDev +16.4%

On-tap at Louie's near Emmaus for $2.50 a pint. Not bad. I guess I could say this is one of my preferred adjunct beers as there's not offensive to me in here. I guess it reminds me a bit of Yuengling Premium. There's basically just a sweetish bread that fades off into a mild ginger ale flavor. It is a bit thicker than most adjunct beers, but still fairly drinkable - especially because it doesn't suck.

2.04/5  rDev -20.3%

Review is for the COLD ACTIVATED can, not the regular one, just in case there is a resulting difference on the palate.

Pours very pale golden color, transparent, with short lived white head.

Nose is light corn with a faint suggestion of Sprite soda-pop.

Palate is very light bodied, fizzy, faint grain and corn flavors (very, very light in flavor), and a subtle sweetness from the grain. Minimal hops.

Not as watery as Budweiser, but still very watery. Only mildly offensive as an adjunct lager.

I didn't drink Coors for several years but recently have been buying it more. It seems to have a cleaner crisper taste than I recall from years ago. I prefer the wide, vented drinking hole in the can, and the can fits my hand better than Budweiser..if you haven't tried it in a while, I recommend it. The mountains on the can are blue gray when cold and turn white as the beer disappears. How cool is that? Great beer.

2.33/5  rDev -9%

Appearance - Very pale yellow, but not as weak as some light macros you see

Smell - Has that very distinct light american beer smell, almost skunky but not quite there yet

Taste - suprisingly not as disapointed here as I was expecting. I usually avoid the none light macros (budweiser disgusts me) but this one actually isn't as bad. Has some nice subtle flavors without the nasty flavors some macros have

Mouthfeel - Water, obvious one here nothing special here

Drinkability - Where beers like this thrive (not to quote the commercials buy they are true) could easily have a few of these in one night

3.08/5  rDev +20.3%

A: A pale, clear yellow color with a fairly large, foamy white head. Retention is typical, with some patchy lacing. Large, active bubbles are visible right off the bat.

S: Light, bland graininess. Some vague leafy hops. A bit of a mineral/sulfur-esque aroma as well.

T: A dose of faintly sweet, grainy malt up front. Some minimal leafy hop flavor is present. Sweet corn and a touch of dextrose. Another mineral twang into the finish.

M: Standard medium-light feel. Carbonation is fairly active. A bit of dryness in the finish.

D: Typical in so many respects. This one does get credit for having a bit of character, even if that comes in the form of some slightly unusual flavors.

3.16/5  rDev +23.4%

I've never reviewed this and since I like variety, I'll give it a shot.

Pours a light gold color with a one-finger head into my pint glass. Seems normal for the style.

Aroma is clean with corn and sweet malt in the nose. Somewhat bready and tolerable.

Taste is full of sweet malt and corn upfront. Inoffensive. Smooth and easy. A bit watery but not too much.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery and full of the corn and grainy malt flavors.

It's easy and drinkable. Not going to rock your taste buds but it is more tolerable than a few other examples I've had.

2.25/5  rDev -12.1%

slurpable...better than bud...miller might beat it...hmmm.

more macroSwill...and maybe the best of the macroMacro....it's all about context. in this age of craft beers, why even reach for this? or bud? or miller etc products?

even with the ecoGnomic downturn, die broke drinking something like Nugget Nectar

4.23/5  rDev +65.2%

This is my favorite beer. I understand that some others might not like it, but I feel Coors has a rich, creamy flavor and is a perfect compliment to food (hence, "Banquet Beer"). I love the way Coors goes down, and is incredibly drinkable. I like craft beer as well, but this is the king of macrobrews in my opinion.

1.66/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

If you're at a wedding and its this or coors light, this is a tad better...but not much.

It has a nicer color and is a bit better in taste but only by comparision. It's not bad in your mouth and doesn't leave a terrible aftertaste like Coors light does.

3.74/5  rDev +46.1%

A- Pours a clear, pale, grassy color with lots of carbonation columns that form quickly. There wasn't much head except for a thin fizzy head that at least leaves a ring around the glass. Not much for lacing but it is there.

S- Has a fruity aroma....another reviewer got it right on with the likeness of bananas....I may even smell a faint pear aroma as well. There isn't really any hopped bitterness detectable, but the malts are there. I can also smell some corn, but it's not prominent.

T- This tastes pretty good! Much better than Coors light, and has nice flavor for a macro. Good malt flavors at the beginning, but no bitterness to round it out. Has a rich sweet flavor, but is clean at the same time, due to the corn/adjuncts used.

M- The carbonation isn't as sharp as I was expecting, and the liquid itself has a somewhat creamy. This leaves behind a sticky residue on the lips afterwards that reminds me of corn syrup.

D- Good beer! I like the refreshing nature of this one and would say that this is one of the better macros I've had. No problems here sticking with this one for an evening. Too bad I can't find it here in Alberta....will definitely pick up some more of this next time i'm in the States.

3.15/5  rDev +23%

Pours a golden color with a good deal of carbonation. Actually some lacing and a small head.

Smells like bananas and corn.

Smooth taste of corn with some grains. Slightly more carbonated than I remember and lighter tasting than I recall. I would bet they've changed this beer formula slightly in the past couple years.

Infinitely drinkable. With it's lack of offtasting adjuncts and smoothness you could accidentally drink a 6 pack.

The best of the Bud, Miller crowd (not saying much).

1.91/5  rDev -25.4%

Oh my god why do people buy this? Where is the hops and malt flavor? This is like sparkling water gone evil. I would have to compare this to bottled water and say this could be refreshing on a hot day like a cold glass of water but come on, it's so tasteless I could not really consider this a beer.

Any resemblance to a true lager is a miracle.

1.83/5  rDev -28.5%

On tap at the Coors Brewery Tour.

I asked for their Original and was promptly corrected that I should order thier Banquet beer (they also bragged that this would be the freshest beer I would ever try).

Poured a medium yellow color with a smaller sized white head. Aromas and tastes of grain and corn. Lively and fizzy body that made me want to hurl.

Notes from: 12/12/06

2.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Had this at a recent party and thought I would give it a review.

Poured a crystal clear yellow with a nice frothy head that dissipated very quickly with no lacing

Barely any complexity to the smell, some corn and biscuit notes.

From some of the other macro's I've had, this one probably tastes the best, but not by much. Lots of corn and rice with a dash of cooked vegetables with a very smooth and clean/crisp finish.

This sucker was highly carbonated, and watery.

The drinkability is good, but I don't think I would put alot of these down.

2.23/5  rDev -12.9%

This is not one of my favorite brews. Personally I'm more of a Coors light fan than a fan of this. Something is just off. It tastes like it's too strong for this style of beer. Head and color were decent though. Better from a can but it's still not worth buying. Just stick to a case a Coors light.

2.83/5  rDev +10.5%

Looks like corn juice, smells like corn juice, tastes like corn juice. Welcome to the world of cheap macros!!! But probably between PBR and Bud Light (PBR being the higher) in the chain of shitty beers. I don't know what a "banquet" beer is but apparently Coors is the creme de la creme of them according to their slogan....therefore I will never attend another banquet in my life.

Coors from Coors Brewing Company