Coors - Coors Brewing Company

poor

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Alström Bros
2.15/5  rDev -15.7%

Again, a touch fuller than Bud. Unlike some macro lagers, Coors isn't clean at all, with a muddled taste of really funky malt. The hops provide no real flavor or bitterness, but are there to dry out the finish, making it "crisp." Also some mild apple notes in the background.

Original Rating: 2.5

Relax, relax.
ng
---
Just barely fuller than Budweiser. Horrible company; but not bad beer. This is Coor's best work. It's Bud with a touch more malt (malted what is the question, though). Inoffensive, decent. Frankly, worth the money if you need a bunch of beers.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Jun 01, 2004
2.63/5  rDev +3.1%

I have not had one of these in years, but I was attending a graduation party yesterday and this was the beer they had .

Beer has a light golden color with an ok head and not much lacing.

The smell is not very strong. A little corn/rice smell and just a hint of malt. I did not pick-up any hop notes at all. Could use the aroma ratcheted up a notch.

The beer does not have any pretense towards complexity. Its taste is on the sweeter side of the spectrum, but not overly so like bud. Just the faintest hints of hops and slight metallic type taste. The beer is best served ice cold and is enjoyable for what it is.

The mouthfeel is thin, but the beer is very drinkable. If your just looking for something to wash down the food with or if your not in the mood to pay any real attention to your beer, Coors fits the bill. Coors original rates behind High Life but ahead of Bud, I guess that’s some kind of a victory.

Redrover, May 31, 2004
2.73/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I used to be quite found of this brew pre beer enlightenment, and well before they did away with the banquet beer approach to their limited ads. Appearance: Golden straw color fizzy white head leaves quickly leaving a collar of thin lacing around my pint glass. Aroma: A corn/rice with 2 row malt sweetness, a bit of huskiness there some very mild hop tones overall clean. Taste: Not overly sweet corn flavor is heavy hops are there in the finish some soft sweetness not bad rather drink this over Coors Light, but that doesn't say much. Mouthfeel: Light bodied fizzy carbonation makes me burp like too much soda. Drinkability: Easy to consume low flavor easy drinking pretty refreshing, but there are so many better well crafted summer micros out there. From the macro perspective I prefer this one over Bud and Miller products.

WVbeergeek, May 30, 2004
1.53/5  rDev -40%

This stuff is taking up valuble beer room in my dad's fridge. So I decided to choke down the last couple bottles to get it out of the way. Pours a pale yellow with not much of a head. Faint smell of malt. That crosses over into the taste along with rice and what else chemicals the big shots over at coors decided to pump into this crap. Drinkable? It wouldn't take much effort to slam down more than a few of these. But I'm not too sure my taste buds would be too happy about that.

MrNuggets, May 21, 2004
1.8/5  rDev -29.4%

Pale golden transparent body with rocky head, no whait, no head.
Smells of very thin malt and calk.
Tastes of thin rice and malt. If they use hops in this beer, I can't tell. The bitterness is probably just how bad I feel after drinking some of this.
My father's favorite beer. I was hoping that I would find something here worth getting nostalgic about, but there is not.

Naerhu, May 13, 2004
1.35/5  rDev -47.1%

Served in a 24oz. can

Ahh yes. Coors. I remember drinking coors extra gold with my buddy's because we could score a 30-pack for $8-9 back in college. Coors was the cat's meow back in the day.

Appearance: Poured a yellow/gold colr with a dissapating head.

Taste: What a weird taste. To me, this tasted like salty biscuits!

Mouthfeel: As someone mention in an earlier review, this beer was like seltzer water. Very fizzy.

Overall, I can't imagine drinking this beer and really enjoying it. Perhaps 4 years ago. This one really doesn't do it for me though. I have to admit, however, I kind of cheated for this review. I purchased this beer to cook a batch of bratwursts in, and as long as I had the beer open, I thought, "why not review this beer before I cook with it?"

andyo, May 13, 2004
1.43/5  rDev -43.9%

24 oz can served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Extremely pale yellow topped by a white bubbly head. A scant film of bubbles is retained for a few minutes.

Smell: Not much of an aroma at all. No "hops," no "malts." I can't smell my beer!

Taste: A faint, grainy, cereal-esque flavor. Not much else. Boring. Occasional traces of bubblegum on the finish as the beer warmed.

Mouthfeel: Akin to seltzer water in all aspects.

Drinkability: Again, a macro that doesn't so much as taste awful, rather, it just has no real flavor. I'll take water, thank you. Hell, I'd take lead-laden, unfiltered DC water over this.

ManekiNeko, May 07, 2004
3.35/5  rDev +31.4%

O.K. y'all can beat me up for it if you like, but for an American macro this is the stuff. I would choose Coors over the other two, AB and Miller any day. Why? you may ask. Because this macro actually has a little flavor as opposed to the taste of rice or corn. Plus it's brewed with mountain spring water (kidding). Overall, if I was in a bar and had to choose any of the American macros I'd pick this one. Quite satisfying if nothing else. For the price, I know alot of buzz drinkers that swear by it and for good reason. Go to the ballpark and have a tap if they have it, just for the experience.

wheatyweiss, Apr 29, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +52.9%

This beer is an American classic. Knock it if you will, but of the big three this is the best full bodied offering of them all. Smooth but not too watery, tasty and non-bitter. This brew had been around since 1873 and for good reason, it's reasonably priced and while it won't win any medals, when your gettin a case or two for a poker game with your buddies, this beer is always high on the list.

cptnjck101, Apr 28, 2004
2.17/5  rDev -14.9%

Well, it looks like beer. Kinda. Faint hop aroma backed up by watery corn "maltiness". Faint wisps of flavor carried by fizzy carbonation. This is one of the thinnest beers I've ever had, and I'll drink anything. There are cheaper beers, there are better beers, and there are cheaper better beers available. The only reason I can think of for drinking this is a dare or desperation. To be fair I have had worse beers, the flavor isn't actively bad.

Sixpack595, Apr 19, 2004
2.5/5  rDev -2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Of all the macro's out there, this one is the winner, with Miller Genuine Draft a close second. It pours a typical swill yellow with thousands of tiny bubbles rising to freedom. Unlike it's higher selling brother, Coors Light, this is a beer that I would not turn down if it was given to me.

2.5 out of 5 swills.

CrescentFresh, Apr 17, 2004
1.95/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

It's funny that in my entire life, this is the first time I have ever tried this. I bought it at the bodega down the street from my house. And yes, I really do live in the ghetto.
It pours a super clear fizzy yellow with a big magically disappearing head. The aroma is overpowering corn. the taste is also very "corny" with only the slightest hints of malt and hops.
Now I know why it took so long to drink this.

CBFanWish, Apr 05, 2004
1.98/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

It pours a plain and simple clear yellow. The head is thin and bright white, and lasts just long enough to let you know it was there.

The smell of grainy sweetness plays first in the aroma, in conjunction with what strikes as corn. A grassy essence comes through, along with what might be construed as hops.

The striking malt and grain sweetness flows first in the flavor, and pretty much through the middle as well. Thin and vague, the rest of the profile is filled out by the same indistinct hops presence as in the aroma. There's balance here, but that does not say a lot considering the rather Lilliputian elements at hand.

Very light bodied, it's watery and almost inconsequential, with little flavor to keep on the palate. A dull bitterness clings at the finish.

I remember how excited people were getting many years ago when Coors was coming east. I now understand just how silly these people were. It is exactly what you'd expect of a macro, with the sparse flavor and exceedingly low presence you need to make it just as exceedingly high in drinkability. But, and this is one big but, I think that in order to be truly drinkable, you need to WANT to drink another. And I don't. Because long gone are the days when I want to drink yellow alcoholic water just to get drunk. And so I won't...and you can't make me.

Foxman, Mar 17, 2004
2.83/5  rDev +11%

The head is snow white and it recedes to an uneven lace.
Color is quite pale yellow on the spectrum.

There is some nose- pleasant, fresh and a little grainy,
I have to admit this has a clean and balanced taste, even if it is a bit boring.

The mouth feel is here and gone, which adds to the "you can drink a case and hardly notice" attribute.
#
These folks are the masters of consistency,
Growing and malting their own barley, controlling the product.
I do respect that. Plus their brewery is beautiful, a shrine in a beautiful setting for all who visit Colorado.

brewQ, Mar 14, 2004
3.25/5  rDev +27.5%

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is above average. It has a light pale malt scent accompanied by yeasty aroma. The taste is average. It has a little more malt flavor than the light version, but that's not saying much. It is plain and dull, but goes down smooth and refreshes. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This beer with all of it's faults still drinks well. I could drink a ton of these on a hot day; a decent macro.

WesWes, Mar 07, 2004
1.7/5  rDev -33.3%

My dad had this in his fridge. It should be noted that I am sampling this immediately after running out of Celebration, so I might be harder to impress than usual.

Pours a crystal clear dark yellow with a big puffy white head that fades fast and leaves no trace. smell...woah! ugly... sweet adjunct of some sort...similar to candy apple.

taste is same, cool medium nothingness followed by this sweet candy apple foulness that grows worse with each swallow. I don't remember this being so bad...is my experience with good beer ruining bad beer for me? I guess it could be worse...

jwilli7122, Feb 23, 2004
2.85/5  rDev +11.8%

Compared 4 U.S. Macro brews together to see if there is REALLY any winners here.

Executive Summary:

Scores: A S T M D

Coors Regular: 2 3 3 2 3 = 2.7
Budweiser Regular: 2 1.5 2 3 3 = 2.1
Miller MGD: 2 1.5 1.5 2.5 1.5 = 1.7
Ice House: 3 2.5 2 2.5 2 = 2.35

All brews were assumed to be a 2 in all categories before reviewing.

APPEARANCE: All look pretty much the same except Ice House, It’s a Bit darker.

SMELL: Budweiser has almost no smell, just a bit of grain. Coors smells distinctly of Banana and grain with a bit of yeast. MGD smells barely like bread. Ice House smells a bit citrus. Coors was best but Ice House was far better than Bud or MGD.

TASTE: Budweiser tastes of grain and is mildly sweet. Coors tastes of grain and is Tart compared to Budweiser. MGD tastes sweetest, but has an off taste to it. Ice House tastes like a tarter version of Budweiser. Coors was best, only MGD had a weird taste.

MOUTHFEEL: None of these really have it, Bud is thickest, and Coors is thinnest. Only Budweiser has any real Mouthfeel.

DRINKABILITY: Coors and Budweiser are about the same, MGD has that off taste and it cost it points, Ice House is OK, but not quite as good as Budweiser or Coors.

CONCLUSION: Drink better beers! But if you are trapped without a choice Coors, Bud, Ice House, and MGD.

Zorro, Feb 06, 2004
3.68/5  rDev +44.3%

When you are raised on it, it's good. I became a devoted Coors drinker during college, and consumed many a $3.00 pitcher any night I could. So while it will never measure up to a Blanc de'Bruges or an Old Nick, to me it's good beer.

The pour is a nice clean light yellow with a minimal head (back in the day this was a great attribute and a show or real skill at pouring). It has a nice light yeasty aroma. Luckily I got a well handled bottle tonight and it has the nice yeasty sweetness that a fresh Coors can have. It's has a fine light body with a nice finish. This is a beer that can be drunk all day.

Coors isn't trying to make an award winner here. They are trying to make something that will suit those with a wide range of tastes. Of the Macro's I believe Coors to be the only one truly concerned about the quality of the beer you actually recieve. They want you to get a good fresh beer. The others seem to be content that you don't get a spoiled beer.

claytri, Jan 31, 2004
2.55/5  rDev 0%

I bought some of this to boil some brats but I figured I'd take a break from heavier winter brews and try one. It pours a pale straw with a fleeting, effervescent head. What little smell there is is slightly floral and sweet. There's a kind of vegetal husk / graininess going on in the flavor, malt is almost non-existent. Still, it's crisp and clean, moreso than Bud or Miller. Amongst the larger brewers, I'd choose this before Budweiser or Miller, with the exception of Miller Hi Life which edges this brew in malt flavor. Good for cooking or lawnmower style thirst quenching.

johnrobe, Jan 25, 2004
2.42/5  rDev -5.1%

I'm still having a hard time believing the real thing is exported to Moscow, I bought this bottle to see just how good the counterfeiters are. Not bad, actually, as the taste is much as I remember it. Pours a standard straw gold under a short-lived fizzy one finger white head that manages to linger as film and collar for at least a while. The nose is very mild, with corn more than anything else. The mouth is quite prickly and heavy with grain. The taste opens very sweet, with some malt to balance the corn. No discernible hops anywhere around, the aftertaste is much like old rotten socks, but in a good way. Great by no means, I've had worse beers. Not many, but some.

Globetrotter, Jan 13, 2004
2.63/5  rDev +3.1%

coors baby! raiders can! what can i say, im a die hard fan (shut up and dont mention their current losing record). this poors out pale yellow, if you even pour it out of the can. smell? is there one? taste wise, its crisp and clean, a tiny tiny bit of hops. a refreshing american lager. a bit watery in the mouth, but so what. people slam this beer left and right, but the hell with them. this is a decent brew that fits the bill when selection and price are skimpy. and who wants to wash down some spicey bbq with an imperial stout anyway?

DESTRO, Jan 07, 2004
1.85/5  rDev -27.5%

Pale pale, some head. Smell is pleasant with some strawberry esters, a bit of banana, diacetyl, and faint earthy hops. Taste starts OK, but quickly dries out and disappears, leaving me wanting so much more. Thin body with harsh carbonation. This is a good beer to drink if you don't like beer, because it really is virtually flavorless. If are like me and do like the taste of beer, however, drink something else.

waughbrew, Dec 30, 2003
1.78/5  rDev -30.2%

Color is barely that, just the slightest shade of a faded pale yellow, though the head, pure white and strong for a time, show some spirit.

Aroma: N/A..seriously, flat, void, bland, nothing but a sprightly spiced piece of moist air...was that politic enough?...(in actual opinion, it's rather obnoxiusly corny)

Taste: once more, there's a fullness of nothingness, a beverage which displays no qualities of actual beer. And this is what we have come to in America, espousing these beers that are most devoid of any flavor or character as being exemplars and avatars as "real" beer. It stuns me, tasting the thing, that so many think so..it's not even a decent lager, and I can enjoy one of those from time to time. It's just a sad load of nothing, and it pains me to finish this bottle, but I shall...

...so to sum, very faint in any kind of flavor, no finish, tiniest body, littlest malt, just a touch of hops, a baby tap...

The very matter of it is that it is perfectly formulated for a certain segment of the populace, those who matter not what travels over their tongues (lemonade has more flavor, after all) and down their gullets, just as long as enough gets into their brains that it sets down the barriers of reason and begins to erode the gates of civility....

In other words, WOOOO!!!

feloniousmonk, Dec 29, 2003
2.38/5  rDev -6.7%

A few years ago. this was my beer of choice to have on the beach. I like it better than Bud, but it is a pretty weak and unimpressive beer. Has a decent aftertaste, and there is nothing off-putting about it. More taste than Bud, a little more body than High Life. Very pale color, slight head and retention. If you can get Yuengling, skip the big three.

JohnnyDuvel, Nov 24, 2003
3.75/5  rDev +47.1%

Wow. That is just about all I can say. An amazing brew. Very smooth, and flavorful with hints of corn barley and oats. Poured out to a smooth golden color with a well formed white foamy head. Out of all the macro brews on the market today, Coors has some of the best beers you can get. This brew is proof of it. Give a sixer a try. I think you'll be impressed!

Frozensoul327, Nov 22, 2003