Coors | Coors Brewing Company

CoorsCoors

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Brewing with water, barley malt, corn, yeast and hops.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Reviews: 674 | Ratings: 2,735
2.08/5  rDev -23%

One of the most bizarre events in the 1970s was the smuggling of Coors. Coors had no East Coast distribution and with all the regulations of beer circa 1973 and whatnot, people were loading it in their luggage and shipping it to government officials in Washington D.C., and all sorts of stuff. Then Coors got national distribution and every one figured out pretty quickly that it's no good. The 1970s were such a wasteland that people went extreme to get Coors. Wow. Rocky Mountain marketing worked great.

Coors looks good - better than Bud or Miller. It's golden in color, not as pale as Bud. The color suggests quality. Coors also foams up a head well, although corn neither retains nor laces. Make no mistake, this is an adjunct-laden brew. The Germans may say it's not beer, but it passed in my high school.

The smell is relatively strong - a grain, mineral and chemical smell mixed with can. It's Coors, okay? It smells that way on purpose.

Coors' flavor is typical of industrial corn brews. Keep it as cold as ice, in other words. The taste is a mix of mineral, chemical, and vegetable. No animal, thankfully. When cold enough, it goes down like water.

Coors is very light in texture. It's basically like water.

In sum, don't drink Coors. Sam Adams Boston Lager is almost certainly available in that bar where you are considering ordering Coors - and Sam Adams is a great lager. If you want to drink a lager with a huge marketing budget, just don't think any money went into ingredients or flavor. Imho, Budweiser is the best industrial brew, simply because rice is a better way to adulterate barley. Bud lacks the faint garbage taint found in Coors and Miller, which I suspect derives from the corn and corn syrup. Ultimately, that debate is like picking which of the Monkees was the greatest musical artist.

2.54/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours the exact color of urine with a tiny flash of a head that leaves no lacing.

Smells like old succotash.

Tastes sweet and grainy, with an unpleasant astringency at the front. The aftertaste is grassy, tastes like chewing on sweet grasses, chewing on a hay stalk.

Relatively creamy and smooth mouthfeel, prickly carbonation, tongue coating.

Reviewing this beer is a novelty, I just figured I'd give it a shot. Part of an AAL tasting. Better than I remember other AALs being, but this is only the first of 6. On to Budweiser!

2.76/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Decided to revisit this after not having had it for many years. Sampled on 8/1/15, bottled on 7/27/15 (or is that a "best by" date?). Poured from 12-oz bottle into plastic cup. Appearance is light amber (think urine) with a pretty good soap-sudsy-looking white head. Not too much going on aroma-wise, better than some AAL's but still a detectable dank odor. There is a little more depth to the flavor here compared to some other AAL's. Overall not too bad, pretty refreshing on a hot August day.

2.91/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

High-clarity, well-worn-golden appearance, buoyant with fast-and-fat bubbling a, thin-trimmed with a very white rim of head, within which traces of expressed carbonation swirl. "It smells like beer," for better or worse, is probably the most that can be said of Banquet's aromas—but neither do that have that stale, spilled-on-a-stadium-floor stank of many adjunct lagers (particularly those of the "lite" variety). And, poured out its stubby, "vintage" bottle into an authentically-1980s-vintage Coors-stylized stubby mug, it honestly doesn't present an uninviting façade.

The addition of corn to the grain-bill is the prominent adjunct, with a substantial creaminess that takes this larger pretty near the frontiers of a cream-ale; it's held back from going that far, however, by a dryness that's presumably carried through by a conservative dosing of rice. The other flavor qualities, too, are otherwise smooth: a bit of that lagery yeast-fruit quality, very minor malt bite, and a mouth-feel that's thin overall but actually somewhat thick and velvety for a macro-adjunct. Yes, there's a bit more wateriness than one would ideally want, but—all-in-all—Banquet is a fairly sessionable, solid enough cheapo/macro six-pack.

There are beers one would quite seriously serve at a banquet—and Coors Banquet is definitively not one of them—but one could do much worse wandering craft-bereft aisles in search of *something* fermented, at least partially, from malts.

2.06/5  rDev -23.7%

Appearance: Clear piss yellow. Huge white head but, unusually, no visible lacing.

Aroma: Very subtle and nonexistent odor here. I get almost nothing. Hmm.

Taste: Light in body, and actually not too bad. I get no lingering aftertaste — no hops nor malts, just water. Drinkable, yes, but beer — not quite. Beer-flavored water to be more precise.

I’m mixed on this one. As an American adjunct lager, this one’s refreshing enough, but without some semblance of taste or hops, this one fails.

2.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Watery but with more flavor and sweetness than, say, a Bud. Had a rounded feel, light malt and hop flavors; easy drinking with no bad aftertaste. Among the AAL types, this is a reasonable drink.

2.51/5  rDev -7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bright yellow with some head that is disappearing as I type. And now it's gone. Smells slightly yeasty, which is not something I'm a fan of. But it isn't overpowering, so it's pretty innocuous overall. Tastes okay. It isn't particularly good, but not bad either. It's slightly sweet then mellows out and leaves a slightly bitter aftertaste. I'm pleased it's not one note, which is what I expected. Unfortunately, the longer it sits in your mouth between sips, the worse it starts to taste. Much better mouthfeel than its competitors (Bud/Coors/Miller family mainstream lagers). Has some body, but not much. Well into "average" in that category. Overall, I'm impressed for what it is, but not in comparison to decent lagers. I'll pass on this from now on.

3.12/5  rDev +15.6%

A - White frothy head that dissipates to almost nothing very quickly. Clear. Straw in color with fast rising carbonation. 3.25/5

S - Corn, white bread, even a little green apple aroma. Grassy hops. 3/5

T - Light maltiness. Some corn. Just a hint of sweetness. Cereal. Hops come across as more herbal than grassy. 3.25/5

M - Light bodied. Scrubbing bubbles sensation. Disappears very quickly. 3/5

O - Enjoyable light bodied beer, especially on a hot day with or without food. 3/5

3.96/5  rDev +46.7%

Pours golden straw in color, white head, decent lacing, crisp malt flavor, subtle bittering from the hops, and clean lager flavor. This is an American lager and it tastes exactly like an american lager should taste. Light, crisp, refreshing, consistent.

2.61/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Picked up an aluminum pint at my nearest gas station. Best by date states it's good for another couple of months. Poured right from the fridge into a pint glass.

L: Pours a clear apple juice/golden straw color with about a half-inch of white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass. Moderate visible carbonation.

S: Almost nothing in the nose. If I really strain, I can get a little bit of bready malt.

T: Hate to say it, but the taste follows the nose pretty closely: there's isn't much of a flavor profile to speak of. The tongue registers sweet at the front, but it's a very diffuse flavor--maybe some malt, maybe some corn, maybe some rice. The middle has a building of the sweet, but this rings more of the adjunct ingredients, predominantly corn. The back end has just a bit of tartness and a bit more of the sweet. The aftertaste might have just the tiniest hint of bitter.

F: Light-bodied, moderately effervescent, and fairly clean-finishing.

O: If I'm looking for a beer to cool me off and quench my thirst, this one would do just fine. Other than that, I can't say much about it because there really isn't a whole lot there to experience.

2.88/5  rDev +6.7%

I get why people hate this beer. Truth is I used to as well. I'm not sure if it is just getting older or having tried every beer under the sun it seems like in the last 10 years and just getting palate fatigue, but I drink the heck out of this stuff these days.

While I still love stouts, porters, IPAs, trappists, and a myriad of other beers, sometimes I just want something cheap and simple. I reach for Coors for the same reason I reach for a good cheeseburger - I'm not looking for craft or to have my mind blown. I'm just looking to suck down something familiar and unwind a little.

Additionally, I'm not a fan of light beers, but I have had to become a hair more conscious of the calories stacking up as my 30s press on. My days of downing a four pack of Dogfish Head 90 minute and the subsequent 1200 calories are a bit behind me. Unfortunately, the American craft word is cuckoo for IPAs still, and while there are some good things going on with lagers and session ales, they are few and far between still at the local megamart. Seriously - I can walk across the street to HEB and find probably 20 different craft IPAs but not much in the way of lagers aside from the usual macros. Luckily, more session IPAs seem to be coming to market, but even so, sometimes I just want that white-bread-hint-of-mold drinkability of an adjunct lager. In my opinion, Coors does that better than anybody. Better than Budweiser, and don't even get me started on High Life.

And if you hate that, I get you and probably can't argue any of your points away. Coors is a Wendy's cheeseburger, a Clive Cussler novel, as summer blockbuster, or a Katy Perry single - not exactly high art. However, I contend sometimes you don't want high art. Sometimes you want mindless entertainment; sometimes you just want something cold and familiar.

3.65/5  rDev +35.2%

This beer is the quintessential "session" beer. Good taste, cheap as hell, and easily accessible. The only thing bad about Banquet, is the reputation it's gotten (based only on price...in my opinion).

I don't mind this beer for an AAL. I wouldn't choose it for a last meal or anything, but it's not bad for the price. I didn't say its good, either, though.

2.15/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Very clear, quickly dissipating head. Smells of sweet apples. Little bit of grainy flavor similar to a Grain belt but not as pronounced. Creamier mouthfeel compared to other American Lagers.

1.34/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

I am tired of being forced to write reviews.

My Dad always said was upholding a lifelong boycott ever since 1966... guess it wasn't only about the racism.

3.05/5  rDev +13%

12oz throwback bottles consumed yesterday while painting.
Pale yellow decent head. Grainy corny with a hint of sweetness. Easy to drink a bit watery, but did the trick.

4.33/5  rDev +60.4%

A perfect beer for what it is. Nice flavor and easy refreshing reliable stand-by. Sometimes I don't want to roll the dice after I'm done cutting the grass.

I remember Coors not selling this beer east of the Mississippi River. I had my first one in 1973 when in Colorado and thought, why all the fuss. I started brewing beer in 1985 and began to appreciate how well made this beer is. Nice hop malt balance and you can taste the malt on the finish. A clean light beer, something that is harder to brew then the ales and lagers with higher gravities and more hops. There is no hiding flavors here. A great work of brewers art.

4.8/5  rDev +77.8%

One of the top brews in my favorite category - the American Adjunct Lager. Tastes great cold out of a bottle on a hot summer day at the ballpark or cutting the lawn. You can't go wrong with the Banquet!

Had to rate this one all 5's. Just trying to balance all the ignorant reviews. Half of the guys on those site don't really have a good palate, don't drink much, don't live in beer towns like I do. Durango, Colorado. I drink more craft beer brewed in my town than 90% of these "bros" and reviewers. Half you morons are saying Miller high lige and PBR are better. That's laughable. This beer is decent for the price. Decent flavors. Def. Can tell its made with decent quality barley malts, grains, and hops. Better than PBR, Busch, any miller, bud, and all the other american adjuncts. Keep drinking your Milwaukee's best "bros" . I'm sure that's a craft beer in your minds.

2.81/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

I'm used to Coor's Light until I was introduced to classic Coors. Not a bad beer, I don't recommend it compared to any other beer, but definitely take this over Coors Light!

3.5/5  rDev +29.6%

Poured from a 12 OZ "stubby" into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has that AAL smell of grain and corn. This to me is not awful but just common.
Appearance- Pours a golden yellow, a pun from the beer from "Golden, CO."
Taste- Not bad, i haven't had this beer in decades and it was very refreshing.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate to heavy carbonation. It finishes clean and smooth.
Overall- This is a macro, but a really good macro to me. I prefer this beer in bottles and i hear quite often the cans have a metallic aftertaste. Try a bottle and see what you think.

4.23/5  rDev +56.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

After a few years of pine, tropical fruits, weedy, roasted cocoa, bourbon, vanilla, smoke---I think you catch my drift--- today I just wanted a freakin...beer.
Now why choose Coors Banquet, I dunno, but I've been there a number of years ago so what the heck.
What I love about this beer is that no adjunct here. What I'm getting is barley, yeast and malt, simplicity. Not a beer you want warming up though.
This works for me.

4.87/5  rDev +80.4%

This is one of my favorites. It's light, refreshing and tastes like a good beer. It's not overpriced. I just Coors would push it more around here, Philadelphia. It isn't commonly found in bars and restaurants. Coors Light is literally everywhere.

1.75/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Because of the higher alcohol content from any other beer we had in indiana in the 80's,I used to like going over to illinois to get some coors on weekends...kids! how ri·dic·u·lous!....and indiana is still on the blue law today! cuh-razy!
I lived in colorado for years and hardly ever drank it then! ha!
My mom drinks this swill today,but i don't even know why...
coors is just awful, imho.

Coors from Coors Brewing Company