Coors - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Alström Bros
Reviews: 645 | Hads: 2,565
2.4/5  rDev -13.7%

Much better than Coors Light I admit. Pours a golden yellow with a quickly dissipating head. A slight sweet aroma and taste which is refreshing with little bitterness. Not bad for a macro brew Pale Lager. (204 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

This is the worst macro lager I've ever tasted. And I've had them all. And I've even enjoyed a couple. Miller High Life and PBR come to mind.

I think the main problem I have is it has a sweet flavor with a metallic finish. I guess that's all you need to know. (260 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Better than Miller, Busch or Budweiser, but not much else. Typical grainy mass brewed North American beer with no hops at all, nothing exciting or exceptional. (160 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -11.5%

Exactly what you expect from American Adjunct Lager style. Pours a clear light yellow body with a small white head. Aromas are scrubbed of anything interesting except for a hint of grain and chem-lab memories. Flavors of light grain and a touch of chamomile are weak and sheepish. Feels light and crisp, its mouthfeel being its most redeeming quality. (352 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +11.5%

Serving Type: 355mL Can

A- Pours clear and golden. Typical of the style.

S- Sweet cereal grains and slight corn sweetness. No hint of any sort of bitterness.

T- Like the aroma, the taste is sweet. Cereal grains and that's about it.

M- High Carbonation. Extremely bubbly in the mouth.

O- When looking at this beer from a background of Craft Beer, Coors is about as low as you can get. It is uninteresting in about every aspect. Despite that crutch, it's non offensive and that's the point. It's a beer for the masses. It's a crisp and clean taste that is extremely refreshing. (580 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

looks pale yellow, similar to its lighter alternative

smells pretty bad lets just say that

tastes even worse than coors light but same old watery brew.

mouthfeel is by far best attribute. In this department its like a normal beer..

overall its a 2.00, terrible. (266 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I am not sure why, but Coors has a mystique for this Canadian kid. I clearly remember what a big deal it was when Coors came to Alberta in the 1980s. For whatever reason, it disappeared until the last couple of years. It amazes me that people pay nearly $30 for a dozen Banquets in Alberta. For a mass produced lager, this is as good as it gets. It looks like beer, smells like a vegetable garden, and has a surprisingly refreshing taste. This batch cost me $21 for a 30 pack, so I'm planning to make it last for the rest of the month. A Coors a day keeps the doctor away? (572 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

For a macro brew, this holds its own, with a crisp taste that doesn't feel as watered down as other 24 pack contemporaries in the grocery aisle. It would complement a cheeseburger on a hot day. (193 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear straw color with a 2 inch head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing down a goblet glass.

Smell is of grains and lager yeast not much more.

Taste is ok. The classic grain taste from an american lager with very little hop presence.

Mouthfeel is very effervescent. Lots of carbonation and a light mouthfeel.

Overall, an average beer. Nothing special but not anything I would turn down. I will not seek this out but if it is all I can get, Ill take it. (479 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

For what it is, this isn't TO bad. Kinda watery compared to say, PBR? BUT, compared to Bud & its rubber taste & high life's extreme corn...I'd have to go with the Banquet. (171 characters)

My main beer. Good ol rocky mountain koolaid. Best beer in my eyes. I drink my craft and many micros, but this is my main beer of choice and always will be. This and coors light. Or Coors Extra gold. Any of those 3. (215 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Crisp, lightly bittered and not too lean, Coors has just enough personality to keep things interesting. Though there are many derisive stories of its manufacturing process, while it surely takes a slammin' from the craft community; the bottom line is that this brew delivers oceans of decent thirst quenching beer enjoyment at a fearless price point. Certainly one of the better mass macros out there! (402 characters)

Beer flavored water. Period. Absolutely mystified how this brand gets any traction at all. Was a western regional beer when I was growing up. I remember when it first became available in the Midwest and how people were lining up to get some.

Tasted my first one! (WTF?) This is beer? Really? I taste more of the Colorado river where this water came from than the beer itself.

Nothing. No body, precious little flavor. Highly worthless beer. Would never buy, (Don't get me started on Coors Light.) (500 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Exactly what I expect from a AAL; light golden color and a fleeting head. The smell and taste are grains with just a hint of hops. Decent enough carbonation and mouthfeel and a very clean, neutral finish. Great after cutting the yard and raking leaves on a warm fall day. (274 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a clear corn yellow with a short lived head.

Malty sweetness with some slight bitterness from hops...slight alcohol tinge to the bouquet........

Tastes utterly unremarkable and is always consistent. Not overly awesome but certainly not disgusting.

Mouthfeel is slightly better in a can vs on draft where I have found it to be thin and watery.

Overall it's fine...I mean that's the goal of all the macro beers...to be the same all the time. It's good and it's available and I buy it when I don't want to blow the beer budget on craft. I buy it but I don't feel that good about it...LOL (597 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The 50 th beer that I review and really proud that it was a Coors !
The look at it's says its a Golden Color.
The smell is really light but powerful. Its smooth and corny.
The carbonation is really good but you have no head. Just the right amount of bubble.
The taste is excellent. Its smooth, its sweet. U almost have that honey taste I will say. Very very pleasant. The after taste is fantastic. Its not strong, its not powerful but its smooth. I personally think its because of the water that use for the beer that the after taste is really pleasant. That 5 ABV u don t taste it. But the watery side is less on that beer than the Coors Light. Much better than those budswiser or Molson dry or Sleeman.
So overall would recommend it ?? Damn yes !! This would be my first beer to go. Much better than those over beer who have 5 ABV. The price tag is a bit high compare to Budweiser or others.I would give a 4/5 if the price was a bit lower. But anyways still a fantastic beer. Go grab a pack if you can, I bet you, you won t be disappointed (1,042 characters)

I was a 10 year old boy, helping my father mow the lawn when he popped open an ice cold Coors beer. He had raised the can half way to his mouth before he noticed the envious gaze on his boys' face. It was hot, we were working hard and I was damn thirsty! My father recognized my plight and with slight reservation, he handed me his beer. I remember grabbing that icy yellow can and pressing it to my lips. It seemed like the same kind of soda can I'd drank from all my life but this one oozed a cool bubbly liquid that rushed down my throat, it was different...shockingly different and so much more satisfyingly delicious than anything I'd had before. From that can, I got a thirst quenching blast without the familiar fruity/goopy sweetness of "kiddy cola" or grape soda. The flavor was unique and crisp and I couldn't stop gulping it down. In what seemed a blink of an eye, my father was trying to pry the can away from my mouth and unfortunately, he succeeded. He slowly shook his head and had a guilty smile on his face. He knew exactly how good that beer was to me. While I was only offered a mere sip, I managed to turn it into the first chug this beer advocate has ever experienced and will always remember.

That first taste of beer is one I'll never forget, I cherish that day and that sweet taste and hold its memory in the highest regard. This review is my first on BA and taken from the memory of a 10 year old boy.

[A] Not sure since the beer was in a can.
[S] I don't remember any particular smell at first but after I stopped drinking, I'd swear there was still some Coors left in my sinus cavity. The scent was similarly mild to something like a sweet corn or perhaps even a breakfast cereal.
[T] A huge departure from grape soda, cola and similar beverages... mild in its sweetness going down but a bit of an aftertaste that quenched my thirst.
[M] Really bubbly. The bubbles scratched the thirst itch in my throat as it was going down
[O] Compared to soda pop, water and milk, this beer was the greatest thing ever.

More recently, and feeling nostalgic, I purchased a 9 pack of Coors in the aluminum screw top cans. While knowing damn well that there was no way I'd have a similar experience to that 10 year old boy, I tasted that Coors and must admit it's still way better than soda.

American Adjunct Lagers generally get a bad rap and are often criticized since they are what most people thought of as beer prior to the microbrew & craft beer movements. While these new movements have raised the bar and peoples expectations of what beer can be, adjunct lagers are still the most dominant, broadly consumed beers in the world - and for good reason. Perhaps mediocrity will always be king.

While Coors does not offer a challenge to any modern sophisticated palate, they do seemingly satisfy the need for a cold hydrating beverage.

Pleasant memories aside, rating Coors against craft beers would not be a fair comparison but among other similar tasting American Adjunct Lagers, Coors is a 3 star, "just okay" beer - no better, no worse... it's just okay. (3,104 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

You can always relax with an ice cold Coors. Easily accessible. My local store has deals on them weekly. Not my first choice in beer. But if I'm on a budget it's no doubt my pick of the litter. (193 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Appearance: Light Yellow with high carbonation
Smell: Light smell of corn and other grains
Taste: Like the smell, some hints of corn, but really not off putting like some other adjunct lagers out there.
Overall: Not all that good, but at the same time there's nothing really offensive about it. If I'm going cheap, I'll look elsewhere but wouldn't turn down the classic banquet. (382 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Yellow golden color with a short retention head.
Bad aroma of sulfur, oxidized lemons and grains. Clear DMS.
Refreshing flavor with notes of non-malted cereals, mild herbal hops and spices, and finishing dry with a light tea bag.
Light body with good carbonation.
Besides appearance and nose which was a major flaw, flavor was above average for an Adjunct Lager. Crisp, with appropriate body and mild perceiving hops.
Ap.2 Ar.0,5 Sab.2,5 Sens.2,25 Cj.2,25 (455 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Golden colored with no discernible head. Some carbonation bubbles at play within the beer. The aroma is all about corn and very faint bittering hops. The flavor is corn and just a hint of light malt. The body is very light and thin.
Appearance: 2.5
Aroma:2.25
Taste: 2.75
Mouthfeel: 2.25
Overall:2.25 (304 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

This is the best of the AAL crop in my opinion. A great beer that you grab a bunch of and toss in a cooler with ice for camping, fishing, float trips, swimming, parties, etc.

Will be purchasing many more times in my lifetime. (227 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +37.8%

Just got home from my usual bike ride after work. Picked up some banquet bottles in the aluminum pints. Never had it this way before and quite frankly I'm excited. Budweiser was better in the aluminum pints, and if this follows suit we'll have a fairly positive review on our hands.

Serving Style : 16 oz Aluminum Pint Bottle with screw on cap

Smell (3.5) : Hints of apple, canned light pear, cooked sweet corn. That's about it. Pleasant to smell.

Taste (3.75) : Good. Refreshing. Fizzy apple wheat notes and smooth lager taste. Slightly sweet cornbread, distant hints of green apple. Ends with a faint lager bitterness that dries nicely on the palate. This beer is seriously refreshing tonight.

Mouthfeel (4) : Fizzier than other macro full-flavor lagers, but that fizziness increases drinkability quite a bit. Ends crisp and dry. There are no off-notes or unsatisfactory finishes. I freaking want another. Drinkability is an A+. This was just what my parched thirst needed tonight.

Overall (3.83) : I am trying my hardest not to beam tonight. If I gave a rating for overall satisfaction of what this beer is doing to me right now, I'd give it a 5 hands down. But I know Coors is not a "5" beer every night and on every occasion. So please bear with me. I have to give this swill a 3.9. This beer tastes great, and was the perfect quencher for my dry mouth. The aluminum pints really give this beer a kick in the ass! I'm becoming more of a fan of aluminum pints for macro lagers. The glass bottled version felt pretty watery and lacked taste, if I remember correctly (it was about a year since I've had one in a glass bottle). Cans sometimes don't do it for me. But these aluminum bottles are growing on me. Cheers Coors!

Edit : even a few nights later the aluminum pints are still impressing me. I knocked it down a couple micro points but barely...this brew is downright impressive with this serving style. (1,917 characters)

This beer is okay. It's not my favorite, but it's the most likely beer that you can have around at a party with all your friends that everyone will like. Other beers you could probably serve at your party: Miller Lite, Budweiser, Some Regional Macro Beer, PBR (in certain company). It's just an all around a-okay beer. (318 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz stubby bottle, date stamped SEP2214
L - fizzy white head fades unbelievably fast atop a highly carbonated golden body
S - yeast, grass, spicy hop, vegetal, faint grain
T - spicy, grassy hop is present, although the overall flavor is very tame. Grain, corn perhaps, lager yeast all present as well
F - thin body, high carbonation, finishes cleanly with a very slight peppery bite
O - this isn't too bad for what it is. I'd drink it again if the timing and price was right. (476 characters)

Coors from Coors Brewing Company