Join our email list →

Coors Brewing Company
Colorado, United States | website

American Adjunct Lager | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Alström Bros
Reviews: 663 | Hads: 2,679
2.5/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear straw color with a 2 inch head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing down a goblet glass.

Smell is of grains and lager yeast not much more.

Taste is ok. The classic grain taste from an american lager with very little hop presence.

Mouthfeel is very effervescent. Lots of carbonation and a light mouthfeel.

Overall, an average beer. Nothing special but not anything I would turn down. I will not seek this out but if it is all I can get, Ill take it.

2.17/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

For what it is, this isn't TO bad. Kinda watery compared to say, PBR? BUT, compared to Bud & its rubber taste & high life's extreme corn...I'd have to go with the Banquet.

Still rate this a 5. As my tastes expanded for the style this is solid. its a delicious beer, for any situation. everyday drinking beer. Its yellow, with some lacing on the glass, (Poured into frosted mug from freezer) Taste when ice cold is like heaven on a hot day. Its a sweet malt flavor upfront, with some corn, and as a guy mentioned, grassy. Its a grassy hop flavor. Over all a nice strong fullbodied AAL. Would drink it again. all the coors AALs are my standby cheap lagers for parties. This is a good brew for easy everyday drinking. Has a special place for me, as my uncle used to drink this.Smell is kind of corn and cereal grain . is good.

3.47/5  rDev +29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Crisp, lightly bittered and not too lean, Coors has just enough personality to keep things interesting. Though there are many derisive stories of its manufacturing process, while it surely takes a slammin' from the craft community; the bottom line is that this brew delivers oceans of decent thirst quenching beer enjoyment at a fearless price point. Certainly one of the better mass macros out there!

Beer flavored water. Period. Absolutely mystified how this brand gets any traction at all. Was a western regional beer when I was growing up. I remember when it first became available in the Midwest and how people were lining up to get some.

Tasted my first one! (WTF?) This is beer? Really? I taste more of the Colorado river where this water came from than the beer itself.

Nothing. No body, precious little flavor. Highly worthless beer. Would never buy, (Don't get me started on Coors Light.)

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Exactly what I expect from a AAL; light golden color and a fleeting head. The smell and taste are grains with just a hint of hops. Decent enough carbonation and mouthfeel and a very clean, neutral finish. Great after cutting the yard and raking leaves on a warm fall day.

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a clear corn yellow with a short lived head.

Malty sweetness with some slight bitterness from hops...slight alcohol tinge to the bouquet........

Tastes utterly unremarkable and is always consistent. Not overly awesome but certainly not disgusting.

Mouthfeel is slightly better in a can vs on draft where I have found it to be thin and watery.

Overall it's fine...I mean that's the goal of all the macro beers...to be the same all the time. It's good and it's available and I buy it when I don't want to blow the beer budget on craft. I buy it but I don't feel that good about it...LOL

3.34/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

The 50 th beer that I review and really proud that it was a Coors !
The look at it's says its a Golden Color.
The smell is really light but powerful. Its smooth and corny.
The carbonation is really good but you have no head. Just the right amount of bubble.
The taste is excellent. Its smooth, its sweet. U almost have that honey taste I will say. Very very pleasant. The after taste is fantastic. Its not strong, its not powerful but its smooth. I personally think its because of the water that use for the beer that the after taste is really pleasant. That 5 ABV u don t taste it. But the watery side is less on that beer than the Coors Light. Much better than those budswiser or Molson dry or Sleeman.
So overall would recommend it ?? Damn yes !! This would be my first beer to go. Much better than those over beer who have 5 ABV. The price tag is a bit high compare to Budweiser or others.I would give a 4/5 if the price was a bit lower. But anyways still a fantastic beer. Go grab a pack if you can, I bet you, you won t be disappointed

I was a 10 year old boy, helping my father mow the lawn when he popped open an ice cold Coors beer. He had raised the can half way to his mouth before he noticed the envious gaze on his boys' face. It was hot, we were working hard and I was damn thirsty! My father recognized my plight and with slight reservation, he handed me his beer. I remember grabbing that icy yellow can and pressing it to my lips. It seemed like the same kind of soda can I'd drank from all my life but this one oozed a cool bubbly liquid that rushed down my throat, it was different...shockingly different and so much more satisfyingly delicious than anything I'd had before. From that can, I got a thirst quenching blast without the familiar fruity/goopy sweetness of "kiddy cola" or grape soda. The flavor was unique and crisp and I couldn't stop gulping it down. In what seemed a blink of an eye, my father was trying to pry the can away from my mouth and unfortunately, he succeeded. He slowly shook his head and had a guilty smile on his face. He knew exactly how good that beer was to me. While I was only offered a mere sip, I managed to turn it into the first chug this beer advocate has ever experienced and will always remember.

That first taste of beer is one I'll never forget, I cherish that day and that sweet taste and hold its memory in the highest regard. This review is my first on BA and taken from the memory of a 10 year old boy.

[A] Not sure since the beer was in a can.
[S] I don't remember any particular smell at first but after I stopped drinking, I'd swear there was still some Coors left in my sinus cavity. The scent was similarly mild to something like a sweet corn or perhaps even a breakfast cereal.
[T] A huge departure from grape soda, cola and similar beverages... mild in its sweetness going down but a bit of an aftertaste that quenched my thirst.
[M] Really bubbly. The bubbles scratched the thirst itch in my throat as it was going down
[O] Compared to soda pop, water and milk, this beer was the greatest thing ever.

More recently, and feeling nostalgic, I purchased a 9 pack of Coors in the aluminum screw top cans. While knowing damn well that there was no way I'd have a similar experience to that 10 year old boy, I tasted that Coors and must admit it's still way better than soda.

American Adjunct Lagers generally get a bad rap and are often criticized since they are what most people thought of as beer prior to the microbrew & craft beer movements. While these new movements have raised the bar and peoples expectations of what beer can be, adjunct lagers are still the most dominant, broadly consumed beers in the world - and for good reason. Perhaps mediocrity will always be king.

While Coors does not offer a challenge to any modern sophisticated palate, they do seemingly satisfy the need for a cold hydrating beverage.

Pleasant memories aside, rating Coors against craft beers would not be a fair comparison but among other similar tasting American Adjunct Lagers, Coors is a 3 star, "just okay" beer - no better, no worse... it's just okay.

2.67/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

You can always relax with an ice cold Coors. Easily accessible. My local store has deals on them weekly. Not my first choice in beer. But if I'm on a budget it's no doubt my pick of the litter.

2.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Light Yellow with high carbonation
Smell: Light smell of corn and other grains
Taste: Like the smell, some hints of corn, but really not off putting like some other adjunct lagers out there.
Overall: Not all that good, but at the same time there's nothing really offensive about it. If I'm going cheap, I'll look elsewhere but wouldn't turn down the classic banquet.

2.04/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Yellow golden color with a short retention head.
Bad aroma of sulfur, oxidized lemons and grains. Clear DMS.
Refreshing flavor with notes of non-malted cereals, mild herbal hops and spices, and finishing dry with a light tea bag.
Light body with good carbonation.
Besides appearance and nose which was a major flaw, flavor was above average for an Adjunct Lager. Crisp, with appropriate body and mild perceiving hops.
Ap.2 Ar.0,5 Sab.2,5 Sens.2,25 Cj.2,25

2.47/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Golden colored with no discernible head. Some carbonation bubbles at play within the beer. The aroma is all about corn and very faint bittering hops. The flavor is corn and just a hint of light malt. The body is very light and thin.
Appearance: 2.5
Aroma:2.25
Taste: 2.75
Mouthfeel: 2.25
Overall:2.25

This is the best of the AAL crop in my opinion. A great beer that you grab a bunch of and toss in a cooler with ice for camping, fishing, float trips, swimming, parties, etc.

Would Drink Again: Yes
Would Purchase Again: Yes

3.92/5  rDev +45.7%

Just got home from my usual bike ride after work. Picked up some banquet bottles in the aluminum pints. Never had it this way before and quite frankly I'm excited. Budweiser was better in the aluminum pints, and if this follows suit we'll have a fairly positive review on our hands.

Serving Style : 16 oz Aluminum Pint Bottle with screw on cap

Smell : Hints of apple, canned light pear, cooked sweet corn. That's about it. Pleasant to smell.

Taste : Good. Refreshing. Fizzy apple wheat notes and smooth lager taste. Slightly sweet cornbread, distant hints of green apple. Ends with a faint lager bitterness that dries nicely on the palate. This beer is seriously refreshing tonight.

Mouthfeel : Fizzier than other macro full-flavor lagers, but that fizziness increases drinkability quite a bit. Ends crisp and dry. There are no off-notes or unsatisfactory finishes. I freaking want another. Drinkability is an A+. This was just what my parched thirst needed tonight.

Overall : I am trying my hardest not to beam tonight. If I gave a rating for overall satisfaction of what this beer is doing to me right now, I'd give it a 5 hands down. But I know Coors is not a "5" beer every night and on every occasion. So please bear with me. I have to give this swill a 3.9. This beer tastes great, and was the perfect quencher for my dry mouth. The aluminum pints really give this beer a kick in the ass! I'm becoming more of a fan of aluminum pints for macro lagers. The glass bottled version felt pretty watery and lacked taste, if I remember correctly (it was about a year since I've had one in a glass bottle). Cans sometimes don't do it for me. But these aluminum bottles are growing on me. Cheers Coors!

Edit : even a few nights later the aluminum pints are still impressing me. I knocked it down a couple micro points but barely...this brew is downright impressive with this serving style.

This beer is okay. It's not my favorite, but it's the most likely beer that you can have around at a party with all your friends that everyone will like. Other beers you could probably serve at your party: Miller Lite, Budweiser, Some Regional Macro Beer, PBR (in certain company). It's just an all around a-okay beer.

2.49/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz stubby bottle, date stamped SEP2214
L - fizzy white head fades unbelievably fast atop a highly carbonated golden body
S - yeast, grass, spicy hop, vegetal, faint grain
T - spicy, grassy hop is present, although the overall flavor is very tame. Grain, corn perhaps, lager yeast all present as well
F - thin body, high carbonation, finishes cleanly with a very slight peppery bite
O - this isn't too bad for what it is. I'd drink it again if the timing and price was right.

I guess I am just a lover of coors. Best AAL in my opinion drink these all the time. Tastes stronger than the light version . It's refreshing at the pay lake and always something I keep around. I love the taste of this I enjoy these. Good refreshing beer.

4.9/5  rDev +82.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Coors Banquet is my favorite all-time beer. Nothing goes down as smooth as a yellow belly. It was the first beer I really drank, a family favorite. I always have some in my fridge. Though I love craft beers a great deal, Coors Banquet is always my pick for camping, Steeler games at home or tailgating, and home consumption. There is something in that malty refreshment, almost always in a can, that I truly love.

Banquet seems to be better in a can, perhaps the aluminum does something to the brew itself. I won't pour it into a glass, as the maximum flavor comes out of the awesome can. Coors is also something I can drink several of, without the negative after-effects.

An all-American, 5% abv, tried and true wonder, Coors Banquet is my flagship, east or west of the Rockies.

3.14/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This beer was ok. It was not one of my favorite beers. To me it made me feel full I do not know why it just did. It had a strong aroma to it as well. Their was a decent amount of head to this beer as well. It was a decent beer. I am glad that I tried it though.

3.4/5  rDev +26.4%

Is it stellar, in the sense of a quality Belgian/German beer? No.
Is it stellar, in the sense of quality craft beer? No.
Is it one of the best cheap, domestic beers available? Yes.
Can you get a 6 pack of 16oz cans for $3.99? Yes.
Can you sit on the beach and drink it all day? Yes!

3.2/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Nothing special going on. Foam is weak and dissipates very quickly , mouth feel is weak. Flavor is subtle but not objectionable. Appearance is a clear straw yellow, a little deeper than Bud. Not bad for when I want a light tasting beer on a hot summer day.

3.93/5  rDev +46.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Drank this cold from the can to enjoy after dinner tonight. It had a bright golden color with a thickish head.
Very faint smell, but I found whiffs of corn- smelled fresh and sweet.
The taste was sweet malt, corn, and honey.
Really great mouthfeel, way better than I expected for a beer this cheap. It was exceptionally smooth, creamy, slightly dry, with light carbonation.
For a fairly cheap drink, I was pleasantly surprised at how good this was.

4.61/5  rDev +71.4%

I love this beer the way it used to be made. Could drink it all night long. Doesn't even compare to most cheap beers in its class. If your starved for cash this stuff won't let you down. And If but the throwback 1939 bottles you won't even have to talk to the hot women, they will talk to you!

3.47/5  rDev +29%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance 3
Thick white head that disappears quickly with no lacing. Clear light yellow body. Looks like corn.

Smell 3.5
Mild beer. Smells clean. Mild malt. Mild hops.

Taste 3.5
Tastes like corn grits. Corn sourness. Mild sweet malts. Mild lemony hops.

Mouthfeel 3.5
Dry. Light medium body.

Overall 3.5
:) A favorite for fishing. Always included. For a reason. Not the smoothest. Tasty. Has bold flavor for the style. Corn dominant. But with a nice, mild malt and mild hop background.

***

12/24/2013 Review of Coors Banquet

A decent beer. Never the wrong choice for fishing, camping, etc.

Appearance:
3 finger white head over clear light golden fizzy body. Head fades quickly but leaves light lacing. Not too shabby.

Smell:
Mild. Bread.

Taste:
Very light bodied beer. Clean, refreshing taste. Light bodied. Light flavored. Dry (canned version) or sweet (bottle version). Canned version is better. Almost like a good ginger ale in flavor. Watery but not bad. Adjuncts are there, but not overpowering. A decent beer.

Mouthfeel:
Very light bodied beer. Good carbonation. Dry and a little bit astringent. Okay considering the style.

Overall:
A decent beer. Not what I like to drink everyday. But my choice when I want to go fishing or when I want to switch it up with a cheap beer. One of the best of the AAL's. An American classic. Better than many beers that cost more.

Coors from Coors Brewing Company