Coors - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coors Alström Bros
Reviews: 645 | Hads: 2,565

I guess I am just a lover of coors. Best AAL in my opinion drink these all the time. Tastes stronger than the light version . It's refreshing at the pay lake and always something I keep around. I love the taste of this I enjoy these. Good refreshing beer. (255 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +76.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Coors Banquet is my favorite all-time beer. Nothing goes down as smooth as a yellow belly. It was the first beer I really drank, a family favorite. I always have some in my fridge. Though I love craft beers a great deal, Coors Banquet is always my pick for camping, Steeler games at home or tailgating, and home consumption. There is something in that malty refreshment, almost always in a can, that I truly love.

Banquet seems to be better in a can, perhaps the aluminum does something to the brew itself. I won't pour it into a glass, as the maximum flavor comes out of the awesome can. Coors is also something I can drink several of, without the negative after-effects.

An all-American, 5% abv, tried and true wonder, Coors Banquet is my flagship, east or west of the Rockies. (782 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

This beer was ok. It was not one of my favorite beers. To me it made me feel full I do not know why it just did. It had a strong aroma to it as well. Their was a decent amount of head to this beer as well. It was a decent beer. I am glad that I tried it though. (261 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +22.3%

Is it stellar, in the sense of a quality Belgian/German beer? No.
Is it stellar, in the sense of quality craft beer? No.
Is it one of the best cheap, domestic beers available? Yes.
Can you get a 6 pack of 16oz cans for $3.99? Yes.
Can you sit on the beach and drink it all day? Yes! (282 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Nothing special going on. Foam is weak and dissipates very quickly , mouth feel is weak. Flavor is subtle but not objectionable. Appearance is a clear straw yellow, a little deeper than Bud. Not bad for when I want a light tasting beer on a hot summer day. (256 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +41.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Drank this cold from the can to enjoy after dinner tonight. It had a bright golden color with a thickish head.
Very faint smell, but I found whiffs of corn- smelled fresh and sweet.
The taste was sweet malt, corn, and honey.
Really great mouthfeel, way better than I expected for a beer this cheap. It was exceptionally smooth, creamy, slightly dry, with light carbonation.
For a fairly cheap drink, I was pleasantly surprised at how good this was. (452 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +65.8%

I love this beer the way it used to be made. Could drink it all night long. Doesn't even compare to most cheap beers in its class. If your starved for cash this stuff won't let you down. And If but the throwback 1939 bottles you won't even have to talk to the hot women, they will talk to you! (293 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance 3
Thick white head that disappears quickly with no lacing. Clear light yellow body. Looks like corn.

Smell 3.5
Mild beer. Smells clean. Mild malt. Mild hops.

Taste 3.5
Tastes like corn grits. Corn sourness. Mild sweet malts. Mild lemony hops.

Mouthfeel 3.5
Dry. Light medium body.

Overall 3.5
:) A favorite for fishing. Always included. For a reason. Not the smoothest. Tasty. Has bold flavor for the style. Corn dominant. But with a nice, mild malt and mild hop background.

***

12/24/2013 Review of Coors Banquet

A decent beer. Never the wrong choice for fishing, camping, etc.

Appearance:
3 finger white head over clear light golden fizzy body. Head fades quickly but leaves light lacing. Not too shabby.

Smell:
Mild. Bread.

Taste:
Very light bodied beer. Clean, refreshing taste. Light bodied. Light flavored. Dry (canned version) or sweet (bottle version). Canned version is better. Almost like a good ginger ale in flavor. Watery but not bad. Adjuncts are there, but not overpowering. A decent beer.

Mouthfeel:
Very light bodied beer. Good carbonation. Dry and a little bit astringent. Okay considering the style.

Overall:
A decent beer. Not what I like to drink everyday. But my choice when I want to go fishing or when I want to switch it up with a cheap beer. One of the best of the AAL's. An American classic. Better than many beers that cost more. (1,381 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +22.7%

Appearance: Bright, clear, pale yellow, 1/2" head fades to NOTHING fairly quickly. Persistent carbonation visible.

Aroma: Decided corn adjunct aroma. Sweet.

Taste: Sweet arrival. Fizzy carbonation. Refreshing, bitter mid-palate. Sweet, corny aftertaste. Some hop bitterness. Cloying after a while.

Mouthfeel: Rich, highly carbonated. Midweight.

Overall: I am not going to dog this beer. Though it is not anything I will seek out again, it is a perfect American adjunct lager. The sweetness is a bit much, but it is as solid a "lawnmower" beer as has ever been had. (568 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +61.9%

The Banquet Beer from Golden, Colorado.
I like this beer a whole heck of a lot. It's always a toss up for me to get either a bunch of Coors or a bunch of Bud. I get excited when it is available at a bar on the east coast which is kinda tough even though Coors Light is usually available everywhere. The stubby bottles are great but I often get 30 packs of the cans. The only downfall when drinking this wonderful beer is that I fart more than beloved Budweiser. Go getcha' some Coors! (484 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -30.6%

Did somebody drop a handful of pennies in this bottle of seltzer water? Maybe a rusty screw? Oh nevermind it's just a Coors. Rocky Mountain water must be filtered through a scrap metal factory. I don't what kind of banquet this beer took its nickname from, but I shall not me in attending. If you need me, I'll be on the front porch crushing PBR. (346 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +30.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

OK. I know everyone is so eager to sh*t on this beer, but what I'm rating is not the can (1 of 30) you bring to frat row at UMass Amherst. This sample is straight from the brewery. During tour of the brewery at Golden, CO they had us sample some of the beer coming straight from the source. It was crisper and much more fresh tasting (obviously) than that swill you buy to drown your consciousness on the cheap. Somewhere between the brewery and your local Kappy's, this decent ale degrades significantly into under-the-table beer. (531 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +45.7%

Coors aka Coors Banquet brewed by Coors Brewing Company. This brew has an abv of 5.0. The brew pours out a nice golden color with a thick white head. To me this is how brew should look. It is not to light in color and not to dark. The smell rich with flavor, also smells like beer. The taste is rich and smooth. There is nothing bad about this brew. Coors has a nice clean finish. This brew has a real nice balance to taste and smoothness. There is nothing overpowering in this brew. Coors is a good drinking brew, and a classy brew at that. This is how beer should be. Not overly light and not so alcohol taste that you can not enjoy the brew. Over all I'm giving Coors a 4.25 out of 5. (687 characters)

Appearance: I poured this from a can into a pilsner glass, the head was about an inch to about an inch and a half thick but dissipated within a few seconds. The beer is clear and golden. Carbonation can be seen rushing to the top. It does settle after a minute but you can still see it rising pretty consistently.

Smell: I could only smell corn and alcohol.

Taste: Corny, watery, and like alcohol, pretty much everything the smell promises.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel was light, and carbonated, like taking a swig of carbonated water and letting it sit on your tongue.

Overall: I didn't judge this beer too harshly because it is intended to be exactly what it is. It's a beer meant for mass consumption. Not necessarily for taste. That being said it isn't a bad beer for a hot summery day after doing some moving or lawn work or just working hard in general. In general when you buy this type of beer you pretty much already know what you've gotten yourself into, a beer that isn't intimidating and complex, but not too bad either. (1,031 characters)

2.84/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Serving: Can into cup
Served: 7 May 2014

Appearance: Pale yellow with a foamy white head that quite quickly dissipates leaving just about nothing else in the glass.

Smell: Very sweet and corny, almost like frosted flakes.

Taste: Actually not half bad, to be honest. This one is extremely sweet and has the prototypical "beer" flavor. Nothing special but no real off flavors.

Mouthfeel: Thin, but stayed carbonated longer than several of its AAL brethren.

Overall: This was my second highest rated AAL below PBR. This one is still a pretty bad beer, however, and has redeeming qualities of being dirt cheap and easy to drink in volume. (639 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a wine glass (that's right) because I'm not at home and the pint glasses here are filthy. Bottleneck says JAN1314.

A- Pours a clean medium golden color with a 1/2 inch not so fizzy white head that retains a bit before becoming a thin ring around the edge of the glass and nearly no surface foam. Non-resilient lacing leaves small specs behind.

S- Typical macro lager aroma of sweet corn and a stab of booze.

T- Flash of corn and that's pretty much it. Once the palate acclimates after the first sip or two, it pretty much just tastes like water with some sweetness. Too drinkable.

M- Thin and watery with some light prickle from the medium carbonation. The lightest of bodies.

O- As far as innocuously flavored macro lagers go, this isn't horrible. Accomplishes what it's intended to accomplish. (812 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -30.6%

I had this in a blind tasting with Budweiser, Miller, and Coors.

This was the worst of the three. It has the corn flavor of Miller, but also has a more aggressive metallic and off putting flavor. This has a full on cardboard and stale paper flavor too. The sweet canned corn flavor is on the level of Miller.

Of the three bad options, this one should be avoided. (365 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +36.7%

A Damn Fine American "Macro Brew" ALL The way around,super Smooth,Easy Drinking Lager,that deserves a MUCH Higher score than all the "Beer Snobs" here on "BA" give it,if you are looking for a smooth,.Crisp,ultra Refreshing American Lager ,Coors is a GR8 Choice man....let the haters hate,but I am geoing out and buying a case right now..cheers! (344 characters)

Appearance: 2" sudsy white head recedes quickly leaving very faint lacing. Color is very clear pale straw with moderate carbonation bubbles.
Aroma: lightly roasted barley, corn, water, no note of hops
Mouthfeel: light and watery, somewhat papery, with a dry finish.
Flavor: sweet malts combine with corn to give a gentle profile. Just the slightest hint of hop bitterness in the aftertaste (392 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Traded a bottle of Shock Top Honey Bourbon Cask Wheat to my flatmate for a can of this. I consider that a great trade. Canned April 07, 2014. Can is aluminum, with an appealing label I'm sure has gone through many a focus group. Served cold (per the asinine blue mountain temperature system, as opposed to "super cold" - can you hear my eyes rolling?). 5% ABV. This is one of the retro-looking Coors Banquet cans. Apparently the Rocky Mountain Water [sic] lends it a "Legendary Taste." I'm from Colorado, so this will be interesting. Expectations are below average. Reviewed as an adjunct lager given common sense.

Side-poured lightly into an Independence brewing pilsner glass as overcarbonation is anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a three finger wide head of white colour. Fluffy but thin. Lacks creaminess and full frothiness. No lacing clings to the glass as it recedes. Head retention is average - about 2 minutes. Consistency could be fuller and more inviting. Complexion is subpar.

Body colour is a clear translucent yellow. It's thin and weak looking, but not as severely so as most adjunct lagers. Subpar vibrance. Appears overcarbonated. It's clean looking, if perhaps a bit watery - I don't see any yeast particulate or hop sediment.

Overall, it's looking pretty standard for an adjunct lager - mass produced or otherwise. I've seen far worse head retention - even in craft brews below this ABV - and the body could be worse. Not an off-putting appearance by any means, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

Sm: I'm probably way off the mark, but I'm finding flaked oat and flaked wheat in addition to the requisite graininess - which while cereal-dominant, isn't as off-putting as it could be. Clean malted barley is featured here, and along with the corn adjunct lends the aroma that bland depleted character we've all come to expect from macrobrews. I also find it too sweet for an adjunct lager.

Hop character? None. At least nothing noteworthy. I suspect some Saaz was used.

What I'm really missing is any kind of crisp full pilsner malt foundation.

No yeast character or overt alcohol is detectable.

Sure, it's not a great aroma, but I've experienced far worse. It isn't medicinal or infected or anything like that, and there are no egregious off-notes. Maybe some mild diacetyl, but I doubt it given the brewery (say what you will, but they're damned consistent). I guess it's just a light buttery character.

It's an inoffensive aroma of average strength.

T: The corn adjunct is pretty noticeable. The biggest issue here is actually the overdone sweetness. The generic malted barley feels bland and depleted - like any flavour the barley might have had was sucked out of it somehow. I don't find any noticeable hop character. It's a bit buttery, to its detriment. I'm not finding the fresh crisp pilsner malt body I crave, but I guess if that's what I want I should crack open a proper pilsner.

Shallow depth of flavour. Below average flavour duration. Average flavour intensity (for the style).

No yeast character, egregious off-flavours, or overt alcohol comes through.

It's not really a well-balanced beer, which is a bit shocking given how little is going on here. I'd probably prefer an even blander adjunct lager to the off-putting sweetness featured here. There's no complexity, subtlety, nuance, or intricacy here, but the build is quite cohesive. It's not a gestalt beer.

I suppose it does a fair amount with only a few ingredients, and as a homebrewer I can respect that.

Mf: Overcarbonated, absolutely. It's lightly coarse on the palate, which accompanies the overcarbonation bite in a surprisingly complementary fashion. I'll take this weird coarseness over the disgusting syrupy slick texture of more inferior adjunct lagers any day. It's wet, but feels too "empty" to really refresh. Has a depleted feel, like it's the shell of a real beer. It's a bit syrupy, and I find it too thick for the absence of flavour, but it isn't as sticky as I expected. Overall presence on the palate is poor. But I suppose this texture matches the taste in the sense that both are low quality.

Not oily, gushed, hot, boozy, astringent, or harsh.

In its defense, it's not watery - which is a big improvement over most beers in the style.

Dr: Of course it's drinkable, but I've had far more flavorful and refreshing beers in the style - many of which are available around this price point (Trader Joe's stocks some contract brews which are superior). I'm glad I sat down to give this beer its fair shake; it's not a terrible brew by any means, and I think many reviewers will shit on it just because it's Coors. But in a blind adjunct lager test, I think most discerning drinkers would put this in the middle of the pack. While I won't be buying it anytime soon, I have no doubt I'll be drinking it again many times prior to my death.

High D+ (4,900 characters)

2.99/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

So it's been six months since Coors banquet has graced Canada...so yeah that's a thing...onto the review.

Appearance: A clear golden body that boasted a strong finger and a half of head that did not lace but did manage to keep a consistent layer of carbonation to hide the body from the top at least.

Smell: It smells...I guess like pond water. Not quite the refreshing breeze of lake water, but neither the swampy moss smell of swamp water. Somewhere in between. There's a note of wet corn husk also in there in the background. Can't really say there's a lot of desirable smell going on here, it's not really offensive, but I suspect it will be watered down.

Taste: This kinda strikes me as a meet in the middle adjunct. I mean the ever present sweet corn taste is there, but it's not out of control as a milder boiled barley taste is present that sorta brings it more towards a more desirable lager as the beer goes on. Barest kick of mossy hops at the end which carry a slight metallic tinge to the experience, but not an outrageous one.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation does help out the entire beer, which is rare in a beer of this style. The beer is very crisp and leaves a mild sweet corn and barley aftertaste that sadly near the end begins to tack on a metallic afterthought.

Drinkability: This beer doesn't settle down as well as it should, as it leaves me a bit gassy. Light bodied and refreshing so a great summer drinker, but less I'd inclined for the winter months. For some reason I can see it going hand in hand with shellfish for some reason.

Final Thoughts: The "Banquet Beer" as it's currently being advertised here offers a revelation to it's name. How many Banquets have you been to, where the food alright or good but certainly wasn't exceptional? Myself, not a lot as the cooks generally need to make enough food quickly for everyone. See the parallel on this one? So Coors is an alright beer, but if not for being a large producer whose name you cannot escape, it is a rather unremarkable beer. It's certainly not an unquaffable brew, but really this beer exemplifies a just plain average beer. (2,119 characters)

3.52/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: light to golden yellow colored, very small head that dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell: corn and some malts, not a whole lot of smell to this beer.

Taste: sugary, i think there is a taste of honey to it (may just be sweetness of the beer), no bitterness

Overall: I enjoyed it, one of the first beers I ever had and its amazing that I use to think this beer was hard to drink because now for as much as I have learned, this beer is crisp and really light relatively speaking. Not a bad beer. (504 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

A: Two fingers of large bubbled white head. Vigorous carbonation. Rapid dissipation. Minimal lacing. Golden color.

S: Metallic tin, cornflakes. Very slight spicy hoppiness. Terrible adjunt is written all over this.

T: Big cornflake hit up front. Seriously, like corn chex mix. Metallic taste afterwords. Proceeds to sweet corn grits. Bit of white grape in the finish, but this one is adjunct city.

M: The only redeeming quality of this beer. All that corn sugar gives it a decent mouthfeel.

O: I'm pissed that I payed a buck a can for this. Buy subpremium brands. This difference between this and PBR is minimal. PBR sucks, but so does this beer. At least try to get what you pay for. (692 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -8.6%

Coors Banquet Beer which is also known as Coors Original is decent big brand beer that competes well with Miller and Budweiser products. It pours real pale yellow, very little head (soapy in appearance), and the carbonation dissipated real quick. Surprisingly, there was no metallic taste with this beer, it is watery, and has a malty, corn taste. It is not filling and goes good with food. Nothing sets it apart from other big brands, other than it is the last wholly own big brand company because Miller (SABMiller) and AB (InBev) are both foreign controlled. (561 characters)

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Before I was a craft beer drinker this was my choice in beer. I had to give this beer a try just for old time sake. I'm telling myself, "this beer had more flavor back then," Very light for not being a light beer. What I did like and still like about this beer is its so refreshing, smooth and easy to drink. It has a soft pleasent aftertaste. Nothing exciting about this beer, but nothing offensive coming from the added adjuncts.

Note: Back in 1983 I went down south to work with my brother in Virginia at the age of 19. I worked as a carpenter. Each day I would get dropped off at a job site and I work in 90+ heat with only luke warm water to drink from a garden hose. Every night I was picked up by my boss and he have a ice cold 6-pack of Coors to drink. Beer never tasted so good! I guess any beer would of tasted good under those conditions. That was the first time I thought beer tasted good. I have come a long way. (926 characters)

Coors from Coors Brewing Company