Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

Reviews: 450 | Hads: 1,850
Reviews by Floydster:
2.83/5  rDev +43.7%

12 ounce can out of a six pack bought from Blimpie liquor store in El Segundo

Poured into a frosted mug with a golden yellow color and no head

Smell was weak, but taste was good for a light beer with a little bite in the aftertaste

Taste did not stick around long

Could drink a bunch, very light

2.07/5  rDev +5.1%

12 oz can with no freshness date.

Appearance: Soda fizzle type head with no retention. Perfect strip filtered clarity showing a extremely pale yellow colour.

Smell: Clean with a faint astringent husky grain and creamed corn aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Off slickness in the mouth with a dense crispness that seems too forced … added dextrins? Very little malt flavour at all, bitter bit from a flavourless hop and astringent grain show it has some beer quality but not much. Finishes dry with no after taste … almost like drinking nothing at all.

Notes: It is what it is, a cheap crappy light beer. For people that are so worried about the price of beer and think they need to drink light beer this is for them. Sadly what they spend on a six pack, which most down in less than an hour, they could buy one bottle of real ale from England and actually have some respect for beer. Or even a bomber of Euro lager with real hop flavour ...

For a man of both macro and craft, this is my personal favorite macro American light. I poured it from the can into my trusty drinking boot for this review.
The appearance is light gold and very transparent, as with most brews of this style. Decent sized head, too.
Not much of an aroma here, so I can't honestly say its offensive to me. Nor can I say its the most amazing scent I've ever experienced, thus the 3 rating.
The mouthfeel is very light and crisp with virtually no lingering elements. This is expected with light American adjuncts, so I certainly wasn't disappointed.
The taste is very,very slightly more hoppy and noticeable than Coor's Light-the "main" light brew of the company. Another reason why I go for this when the occasion calls for it.
If I'm low on funds and just want something light, Keystone Light is my personal choice. For under $20 here in northeast Ohio, I really dig that price when I'm in a light beer mood. As I've said in my Budweiser review, while I venture out into more exciting territories in the world of craft brew, I have the old standby. This just so happens to be my light standby.

1.98/5  rDev +0.5%

This probably doesn't really deserve a review, but I thought I'd do one anyhow. I've heard rumors it is essentially Coors Light and it tastes pretty much the same. Got some sitting at the back of the fridge so it's review time.

Appearance (2) - Re-review. in the can, updated and poured for appearance. Fluffy white two finger head that recedes like a mudslide. Pale hay colored appearance, transparent as water. Read your Kindle through it, Keystone doesn't mind!

Smell (1.5) - canned corn. mildewy grains. fried egg. tin. hint of lemon lime soda.

Taste/Flavor (1.5) - Pretty much awful but the drinkability saves it from completely tanking, so I'll give it that. I get musty corn, tin, cardboard, and a residual grainy sweetness on the finish. (Later, with peanut butter, it tastes like Olive juice. So weird.)

Mouthfeel/Drinkability (3.5) - "Always Smooth". The carbonation is wrapped in an easy drinking smoothness. Super watery, though. Can't say any more or less than that. Pound a few without regret.

Overall (2.12) - It may be the worst beer in my fridge but it's not the worst beer of all time. It gets a pretty bad rep but it has a few redeeming qualities. For a light beer it drinks smooth. It's not tasty, but I'll take that lack of taste over some of the over-hopped IPA "crafts" I've had.I think I bought this 12 pack of cans for around $8 if I remember right. If anything, the price is right. So you've got price and drink-ability as the positives, with pretty much everything else weighing it down. If Keystone Light is for you, rock it. But don't stop here. To do so would be a grave injustice.

Someone a while back told me he was at the coors beer tour and the tour guide asked the crowd what the difference of Coors light and Keystone light was. The answer was there was no difference. Tour guide went on to explain that when the light brew tank is emptied, the top half or so is bottled Coors light. The bottom of the tank is bottled Keystone light. Coors light is lighter, higher grade, and Keystone light is a little heavier. Probably what you all would call the bock of the tank. And this practice is part of all major breweries. The top half is higher grade and the lower half is lower grade. And that's all it is folks. Keystone light is actually tastier than Coors light. But Consumers want the top shelf stuff. Understood. I like Keystone light better than all the other light beers. I sometimes have to buy other light beers because Keystone isn't stocked. I really can't stand Busch light or Bud light. Miller lite is okay but is kind of flat tasting after a couple. Keystone light keeps up with taste. I am not a Keystone light homer but I like this beer in the Summer. Period. The College have no money get cheap beer thing gets old on here. I always go for Keystone light and I can afford expensive beer.

1.94/5  rDev -1.5%

There's really nothing special about Keystone Light. About as pale on flavor as it is in color. But this is my go-to summer beer. After working in the heat and humidity of southern Missouri prepping the bottom field for the upcoming deer season, the last thing I'm reaching for is a heavy (yet delicious) craft brew. BBQ with friends? Keystone Light allows me to keep up with my buddies without bloating like roadkill. The best part is the price. $15 for a 30-pack. Definately a "quantity beer." Overall, this isn't a terrible example of the style. God knows you could do worse.

4.09/5  rDev +107.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Coors had originally been considered only a banquet beer. Wanting to get a lager share of the blue collar market they researched bringing a new beer on the market. It was there sole intent to garner that part of demographics.

However, they needed to consider two important factors. The first and most important was the financial aspect. What was it going to cost them to bring this product to market. Then a greater concern, was would the consumer like it? The problem was easily solved. The powers that be, asked what is our now most profitable brew? The answer was the “Silver Bullet,” better established as Coors Light.

There was no need for addition infrastructure. The equipment was in place and not running at full capacity. Rather than run silver cans down the line, just put some blue ones in.

Blind fold a Coors fan and offer hin a glass of Coors Light and a glass of Keystone. I will give you Las Vegas odds that they cannot distinguish the difference. There is none, only that keystone is more affordable. The best part is that you will save about 23%.

PS. Daughter worked for Coors Market Development about 20 years ago. Her insider info helped me pay off her college education.

1.7/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

There is no point in pouring this beer into a glass before consumption. The reason being that the point of doing so would be to accentuate the aroma of the beer by giving it some head in the glass. This beer, however, neither smells nor tastes good. It has no hops, and it tastes like some slightly dirty water you might find in a puddle while hiking. My buddies might contend that it's "not that bad" compared to some of the other mass-produced shite that college kids drink. But if you're looking for a session beer, why waste your money on 30-'stones when you could go out and buy a case of Pabst??

1.75/5  rDev -11.2%

2.5/5  rDev +26.9%

4.5/5  rDev +128.4%

1.75/5  rDev -11.2%

2.05/5  rDev +4.1%

not overly impressed with this beer, again as usual more taste than bud light but not great by any strech.not good but there is worse out there, smells and looks bad, tastes ok, maybe compareable to busch, try to avoid this if better beer is available

2.75/5  rDev +39.6%

2.64/5  rDev +34%

1.24/5  rDev -37.1%

ugh, i poured it into a clear plastic cup at the party.

A: decent, foamed up nice, light straw, looked like it could be a beer.

S: metal shavings mixed with wet grain.

T: also metalic, mixed with sugar and wet grain.

M: fizzy, thin, and intrusive...

D: i'd honestly rather have water.

i got one swallow in... by comparison, BL Lime got two swallows to verify it was awful...

Keystone Light from Coors Brewing Company