Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 1,796 | Reviews: 472
Reviews by russpowell:
2.44/5  rDev +36.3%

Picked up a 12 pack to thank my neighbor, but she has been slow to drink them so for science's sake:

Pours an effervescent gold with a pinky of cream colored head that drops away quickly. No head retention or lacing

S: Light cereal notes, a touch of floral & citric hops, fades away soonish

T: Sweet cereal notes, some apple & white grape noticable up front. Watered down apple juice dominates as this warms, along some wet cereal. Finishes a bit watery, with a touch of apple sauce

MF: Light bodied, fairly firm carbonation, some watery feel. okay balance

Not too drinkable, but had no trouble choking one down. Certainly not the worst of this genre I've had, but you could've told me this was non-sweetened apple juice & I would've believed you...

2.07/5  rDev +15.6%

12 oz can with no freshness date.

Appearance: Soda fizzle type head with no retention. Perfect strip filtered clarity showing a extremely pale yellow colour.

Smell: Clean with a faint astringent husky grain and creamed corn aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Off slickness in the mouth with a dense crispness that seems too forced … added dextrins? Very little malt flavour at all, bitter bit from a flavourless hop and astringent grain show it has some beer quality but not much. Finishes dry with no after taste … almost like drinking nothing at all.

Notes: It is what it is, a cheap crappy light beer. For people that are so worried about the price of beer and think they need to drink light beer this is for them. Sadly what they spend on a six pack, which most down in less than an hour, they could buy one bottle of real ale from England and actually have some respect for beer. Or even a bomber of Euro lager with real hop flavour ...

For a man of both macro and craft, this is my personal favorite macro American light. I poured it from the can into my trusty drinking boot for this review.
The appearance is light gold and very transparent, as with most brews of this style. Decent sized head, too.
Not much of an aroma here, so I can't honestly say its offensive to me. Nor can I say its the most amazing scent I've ever experienced, thus the 3 rating.
The mouthfeel is very light and crisp with virtually no lingering elements. This is expected with light American adjuncts, so I certainly wasn't disappointed.
The taste is very,very slightly more hoppy and noticeable than Coor's Light-the "main" light brew of the company. Another reason why I go for this when the occasion calls for it.
If I'm low on funds and just want something light, Keystone Light is my personal choice. For under $20 here in northeast Ohio, I really dig that price when I'm in a light beer mood. As I've said in my Budweiser review, while I venture out into more exciting territories in the world of craft brew, I have the old standby. This just so happens to be my light standby.

1.98/5  rDev +10.6%

This probably doesn't really deserve a review, but I thought I'd do one anyhow. I've heard rumors it is essentially Coors Light and it tastes pretty much the same. Got some sitting at the back of the fridge so it's review time.

Appearance (2) - Re-review. in the can, updated and poured for appearance. Fluffy white two finger head that recedes like a mudslide. Pale hay colored appearance, transparent as water. Read your Kindle through it, Keystone doesn't mind!

Smell (1.5) - canned corn. mildewy grains. fried egg. tin. hint of lemon lime soda.

Taste/Flavor (1.5) - Pretty much awful but the drinkability saves it from completely tanking, so I'll give it that. I get musty corn, tin, cardboard, and a residual grainy sweetness on the finish. (Later, with peanut butter, it tastes like Olive juice. So weird.)

Mouthfeel/Drinkability (3.5) - "Always Smooth". The carbonation is wrapped in an easy drinking smoothness. Super watery, though. Can't say any more or less than that. Pound a few without regret.

Overall (2.12) - It may be the worst beer in my fridge but it's not the worst beer of all time. It gets a pretty bad rep but it has a few redeeming qualities. For a light beer it drinks smooth. It's not tasty, but I'll take that lack of taste over some of the over-hopped IPA "crafts" I've had.I think I bought this 12 pack of cans for around $8 if I remember right. If anything, the price is right. So you've got price and drink-ability as the positives, with pretty much everything else weighing it down. If Keystone Light is for you, rock it. But don't stop here. To do so would be a grave injustice.

4.09/5  rDev +128.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Coors had originally been considered only a banquet beer. Wanting to get a lager share of the blue collar market they researched bringing a new beer on the market. It was there sole intent to garner that part of demographics.

However, they needed to consider two important factors. The first and most important was the financial aspect. What was it going to cost them to bring this product to market. Then a greater concern, was would the consumer like it? The problem was easily solved. The powers that be, asked what is our now most profitable brew? The answer was the “Silver Bullet,” better established as Coors Light.

There was no need for addition infrastructure. The equipment was in place and not running at full capacity. Rather than run silver cans down the line, just put some blue ones in.

Blind fold a Coors fan and offer hin a glass of Coors Light and a glass of Keystone. I will give you Las Vegas odds that they cannot distinguish the difference. There is none, only that keystone is more affordable. The best part is that you will save about 23%.

PS. Daughter worked for Coors Market Development about 20 years ago. Her insider info helped me pay off her college education.

1.7/5  rDev -5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

There is no point in pouring this beer into a glass before consumption. The reason being that the point of doing so would be to accentuate the aroma of the beer by giving it some head in the glass. This beer, however, neither smells nor tastes good. It has no hops, and it tastes like some slightly dirty water you might find in a puddle while hiking. My buddies might contend that it's "not that bad" compared to some of the other mass-produced shite that college kids drink. But if you're looking for a session beer, why waste your money on 30-'stones when you could go out and buy a case of Pabst??

2.05/5  rDev +14.5%

not overly impressed with this beer, again as usual more taste than bud light but not great by any strech.not good but there is worse out there, smells and looks bad, tastes ok, maybe compareable to busch, try to avoid this if better beer is available

1.24/5  rDev -30.7%

ugh, i poured it into a clear plastic cup at the party.

A: decent, foamed up nice, light straw, looked like it could be a beer.

S: metal shavings mixed with wet grain.

T: also metalic, mixed with sugar and wet grain.

M: fizzy, thin, and intrusive...

D: i'd honestly rather have water.

i got one swallow in... by comparison, BL Lime got two swallows to verify it was awful...

1.71/5  rDev -4.5%

A: pale yellow, fizzy white head that doesn't last or leave lacing.

S: corn, sweet, a bit skunky

T: see "smell"

M: fizzy and light.

O: this beer is pretty much just water that happens to get you drunk. if I rated drinkability I would give it a 6 out of 5.

1.5/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow, this is crap. Piss yellow, white head, QUICKlY dissipates to NO HEAD, not even a bubble! No aroma (maybe a little corn), no taste,no malt,no hops. Obviously not much going on here, except a pure waste of decent water, aluminium etc etc. I truly would rather drink seltzer. Dont support Coors, dont buy this stuff. I took a can out of a cooler at a neighborhood picnic a few weeks back, just for beer research purposes....

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, light straw yellow in color, clear, high carbonation

Smell: grass and adjuncts

Taste: light sweet adjuncts, sugars, slight grass and hops

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, watery light bodied,sweet with a touch of bitterness

Overall: This one drinks like a non-alcohol beer with its sweetness. It is actually somewhat surprising that it is 4.2%. Not horrible for the style, but I would certainly choose lots of beers over this.

1.56/5  rDev -12.8%

Sadly, I have tried every type of Keystone, and this this the best one out there. Pours nearly clear, with tons of foam; which, coincidentally will look exactly like your pee after consuming a few of these. The aroma is metal, though that could be the can. Taste is metal and veggie, yum. Official beer of Delta Tau Delta at the U of A.

1.88/5  rDev +5%

12oz can pulled from the fridge poured into a SA perfect pint glass. best before JAN 31 11.

maybe the lightest colored beer ive ever seen. from the pour its completely clear, like water. in the glass is a clear transparent water like color with a pale yellowish tint. big fluffly white head that was surprisingly retentive for the first 5-10 minutes or so. a touch of lace at first. i would grade a 1.0 awful, but the head has atleast brought me to a 2.0.

heavy whiffs of mineral water and a touch of corn.

tastes like sparkling mineral water with some cooked corn and some light grains. thats it. VERY light and watery. way too overcrabonated, fizzy. very little actual beer taste.

this is made for the college kids wanting to pound back a case in a night. great for beers games and what not because it literally drinks like water. but IMHO, one of the worst of all the BMC light lagers.

1.55/5  rDev -13.4%

Seriously. The bottled beer taste in a can, except this time, it was in a bottle. Crazy. Looks like water and human liquid waste product, together at last. Head and lace are as absent as any color other than diluted yellow. Should I give it points for clarity? No. Less clarity would be something to hope for actually.

Aroma is that industrial commerce type of smell of sterility and band aids. Vegetable and corn water tasting. Kind of has an assy bitter taste to it for supposedly not being that kind of beer.

This beer is not intended for consumption by anyone 21 years or OVER.

2.01/5  rDev +12.3%

Oh, I figured I would eventually break down and review a canned beer. Well, my roomate picked up a case of this stuff, and he swares by it. Yes pretty much this is his beer of choice, not only option, just choice. So, I figured I would review it, never actually had this beer in a can, just in high school as the typical keg swill. I cracked the can unleashing all of the artificial carbonation, and she pours a pale golden straw color that contains a very fizzy white head. Definitely nothing looking appetizing or impressive here. I continute to attempt to detect some aroma, and to my surprise it isn't repulsive as I had thought with a sweet lemon grass aroma with just a touch of hops in the background. With the still semi-pleasant aroma in my senses, I proceed with my first sip. This beer contains nothing great, in fact it is made with the cheapest of ingredients, but it actually brings a balanced flavor that is highly drinkable. The corn and rice, along with some malt produces a very sweet finish to this beer that in my opinion kicks Coors Light's ass. This does have some flavor to it, maybe not what I want out of a beer, but for the college student looking to relieve some stress and catch a nice buzz this beer does it's duty. I can't tear Keystone Light apart, because it has flavors that were designed to be completely unoffensive and in tact with the most amount of people as possible. The mouthfeel is like carbonated water, and yes this beer will go down in number with a low alcohol percentage you could probably put down alot of this, but in my opinion I really don't want to. I just wish this wasn't the only style of beer that's predominantly enjoyed by the masses, because they are missing out on a world of great beer styles. Oh, and by the way you better drink this one cold, because when it starts warming you will taste the difference.

1.93/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a can. Golden and clear with no carbonation. Metallic taste with a marginal hop and cereal grain flavor. Average mouthfeel. Not great.

2.42/5  rDev +35.2%

Ok, I am all for a macro beer because they serve a purpose. They get rednecks drunk, I cook brats in them and it's nice to take some to the lake and drink while fishing in +100° Texas weather. But this one looks like they didn't even try. The beer is the color of cornsilk and the head is greenish white, crusty and gone like Kaiser Sosie.

I am surprised to smell anything in a beer that is clearer then water with yellow food coloring but there it is. A light grain sent that lingers on the border between corn, rice and actual barley. A slight apple hint mixes with the confusing base grain flavors yielding a poor smelling brew. On the positive side of things at least it smells like beer.

Taste is actually not as horrible as I thought. The beer has the same confusing flavors as the nose. Corn, rice, barley? I don't know but what I do know is don't let it warm. The flavors get downright rancid as it approaches cellar temperatures.

Ice cold is where it's at on this beer. Then it's like drinking a bottle of water after just walking through the desert. I must admit that I do find this beer to be refreshing when cold. It does have a clean crisp feel with a nice bite that I attribute to heavy carbonation rather then hops. Drink this beer only in the shop while looking at a dismantled vehicle. This is shop beer to be drank quick for a light buzz and that's all.

2.13/5  rDev +19%

Found in back of fridge after cousin left from a brief visit. Poured from 12 oz aluminum can into a frosted mug.

A: An almost see-through golden color with a finger head that dissipates very quickly.

S: Not much of anything. A very light corn/grainy aroma. Hints of banana at the end?

T: You're definitely getting what you pay for. 30 for $15 you can't set your standards very high. No real flavor besides a very faint grain taste that has no lingering effect. Almost as if drinking a very lightly beer flavored carbonated water.

M: Actually, pretty good. Smooth while not overly carbonated.

O: It is what it is. A marketable, cheap and effective college beer. I drink this occasionally as a lawn mower beer. Its drinkability is what makes it so successful. Not something to seek out if you are a beer snob. If you're looking for a cheap drink, go for it.

2.07/5  rDev +15.6%

For the sake of experimentation, I'm holding a little tasting of beers I happened to have but would never purchase myself. This is number four and I'm getting pretty sick of it.

This one looks like it's pouring out yellow-white but turns out to be the typical "straw" of most BMC products. The white head that tries to develop never quite does, dropping off more quickly than I've seen in a long time. Absolutely nothing remains. Bubbles are there almost just for fun (I know, people like their BMC nice and carbonated) and do nothing whatsoever for the head.
Apples. A little dust. Grains. One of the lightest aromas ever. Clean? Sure. I'll give it that.
This tastes like apple juice. I'm not joking. I'm only sipping as much of each of these beers as I need to judge them properly, but maybe I'm losing it. Apple juice. Grains. Hey, a little malt backbone...a weak one that can't support much, but something. Only below average instead of bad because there's no particularly offensive aspect and at least it's supposed to be a light.
Super light. Very crisp, even spritzy. Almost smooth. Almost.

2.45/5  rDev +36.9%

Light it is, from the look to the front of the taste and all through the finish.

This beer sits as a pale yellow color. I didn't get an ounce of head or lace, and carbonation is minimal. If there is any character at all in this beer, it's in the front of the taste. There's almost a hint of spice but nothing too special.

I was surprised that no aspect of this beer really turned me away, but there's nothing too good either.

1.96/5  rDev +9.5%

355ml can, a licensed version, at 4.0% ABV, made in Canada due to MolsonCoors' tendency to flood the local market with product duplication just because, well, they damned well want to.

This beer pours a crystal clear, bright, yet very, very pale yellow straw colour, with two fingers of fast-disappearing puffy and weakly foamy bone-white head, which leaves a bit of streaky lace around the glass.

It smells not so faintly of sweet, phenolic mashed corn, soaked white bread, and slightly vegetal and grassy, er, 'hops'. The taste is mildly grainy, actually none-too-sweet corn grist, stale, over-cooked rice, and equally less than subtle (as if we are forsaken) skanky, vegetal, and dead grassy hops.

The carbonation is moderate, and just a bit overwrought in its playful frothiness, the body most certainly lightweight, and unsurprisingly fairly watery. It finishes like a ghost, making you wonder if there was any beer there at all.

As much as I wanted to claim to the contrary, due in no small part to years of enduring those inane TV commercials, I can't say that this isn't smooth and drinkable - it is indeed that. What it isn't, of course, is worth imbibing if you're looking for flavour rather than a somewhat beer-adjacent stomach filler.

2.17/5  rDev +21.2%

After finishing the beer I brought, all that was let was a keg of this.

A: Clear straw/yellow color, a little head which dissipated to a layer of small bubbles on top. Not much lacing.

S: Not a ton going on here. A little musty, but get a little grain and some corn.

T: Tasted almost like watered down apple juice. Not much flavor at all.

M/D: Very light, somewhat high carbonation. Overall, it is, what it is. Cheap light beer. Honestly, from what the keg prices were I don't blame them for getting this over the other less than stellar options.

2.38/5  rDev +33%

The lack of things to say is the worst part, it's a clear, light yellow with a slight white-tinge in the middle. plenty of carbonation, mildly crispy look, the "head" never really forms solid, it fizzes out pretty fast. gone. bye.

The aroma is sooo slight, it's hard to detect what's going on...it's s slight rice and corn maltiness, but it's muted, not hearty. I'm not really getting any hop or yeast aroma's but also no seriously gross "off" flavor's like metal.

The feel is crispy and light at first, but damn...don't let it sit around too long or it's just hard to finish, flat and thin.

Avoid if you can.

1.66/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Good to shotgun and that's about it.

2.7/5  rDev +50.8%

This is one of the best beers for a party. A case of stones (30) is usually around 15 bucks. If you are short on money and want a lot of beer its not a bad buy.

A-Very water-like and a hint of yellow.

S- No smell what so ever.

T-It goes down smooth and doesnt have a bad after taste like some american light beers.

M- Can be very foamy at times and has medium carbonation.

D-Easy to drink a lot of this beer, great tailgate or house party beer, other than that dont waste your time.

to view more.