Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001)
Reviews by thehyperduck:
2.55/5  rDev +42.5%

473 mL can from The Beer Store, served ice cold. This is the Canadian version, listed at an even 4.0%, probably brewed up the road somewhere in Toronto. It's also #9 in my 'cheap lagers of questionable quality' review extravaganza, a series that started off with humorous intent, but has become little more than a masochistic grind. I reviewed the regular Keystone about ~300 reviews ago, and it was pretty gross, and honestly I'm hoping this one is too watery to be truly unappealing.

Pours a pale straw yellow colour, highly effervescent, and topped with one finger of fizzy, pearl white-coloured head that quickly diminishes to a thin cap and collar. The aroma is vegetal, sweet and completely void of anything resembling hops or barley malt. It really is pretty awful, and even grading with the 'light lager' rubric, it's just too off-putting to give it a decent score here.

Fortunately the taste is more in line with what I expected - watery and bland, but drinkable and fairly tolerable. Much like the non-light version, this stuff tastes vegetal and corny, but due to the diluted nature it is not as annoyingly sweet. Slightly metallic finish, with no aftertaste. A bit of a wet cardboard vibe, too. Thin-bodied and watery, with appropriate carbonation levels for the style. Very easy to toss back, like water, and I suppose it's fairly smooth-drinking. Probably superior to Keystone, if only because the nasty flavour is countered with more water.

Final Grade: 2.55, a C-. Keystone Light is a totally forgettable light lager that I doubt I'll ever pick up again. That being said, if you are a strict light beer drinker, you might as well save some money and pick this up instead of Coors or Bud Light - flavourless swill is flavourless swill, so there's no reason to spend any more than necessary. Why Keystone Light and Busch Light aren't massively outselling their more expensive counterparts will always leave me befuddled. Ah well, a fool and his money and all that. Unfortunately, I'm the fool in this instance.

2.08/5  rDev +16.2%

12 oz can with no freshness date.

Appearance: Soda fizzle type head with no retention. Perfect strip filtered clarity showing a extremely pale yellow colour.

Smell: Clean with a faint astringent husky grain and creamed corn aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Off slickness in the mouth with a dense crispness that seems too forced … added dextrins? Very little malt flavour at all, bitter bit from a flavourless hop and astringent grain show it has some beer quality but not much. Finishes dry with no after taste … almost like drinking nothing at all.

Notes: It is what it is, a cheap crappy light beer. For people that are so worried about the price of beer and think they need to drink light beer this is for them. Sadly what they spend on a six pack, which most down in less than an hour, they could buy one bottle of real ale from England and actually have some respect for beer. Or even a bomber of Euro lager with real hop flavour ...

For a man of both macro and craft, this is my personal favorite macro American light. I poured it from the can into my trusty drinking boot for this review.
The appearance is light gold and very transparent, as with most brews of this style. Decent sized head, too.
Not much of an aroma here, so I can't honestly say its offensive to me. Nor can I say its the most amazing scent I've ever experienced, thus the 3 rating.
The mouthfeel is very light and crisp with virtually no lingering elements. This is expected with light American adjuncts, so I certainly wasn't disappointed.
The taste is very,very slightly more hoppy and noticeable than Coor's Light-the "main" light brew of the company. Another reason why I go for this when the occasion calls for it.
If I'm low on funds and just want something light, Keystone Light is my personal choice. For under $20 here in northeast Ohio, I really dig that price when I'm in a light beer mood. As I've said in my Budweiser review, while I venture out into more exciting territories in the world of craft brew, I have the old standby. This just so happens to be my light standby.

2.12/5  rDev +18.4%

This probably doesn't really deserve a review, but I thought I'd do one anyhow. I've heard rumors it is essentially Coors Light and it tastes pretty much the same. Got some sitting at the back of the fridge so it's review time.

Appearance (2) - Re-review. in the can, updated and poured for appearance. Fluffy white two finger head that recedes like a mudslide. Pale hay colored appearance, transparent as water. Read your Kindle through it, Keystone doesn't mind!

Smell (1.5) - canned corn. mildewy grains. fried egg. tin. hint of lemon lime soda.

Taste/Flavor (1.5) - Pretty much awful but the drinkability saves it from completely tanking, so I'll give it that. I get musty corn, tin, cardboard, and a residual grainy sweetness on the finish. (Later, with peanut butter, it tastes like Olive juice. So weird.)

Mouthfeel/Drinkability (3.5) - "Always Smooth". The carbonation is wrapped in an easy drinking smoothness. Super watery, though. Can't say any more or less than that. Pound a few without regret.

Overall (2.12) - It may be the worst beer in my fridge but it's not the worst beer of all time. It gets a pretty bad rep but it has a few redeeming qualities. For a light beer it drinks smooth. It's not tasty, but I'll take that lack of taste over some of the over-hopped IPA "crafts" I've had.I think I bought this 12 pack of cans for around $8 if I remember right. If anything, the price is right. So you've got price and drink-ability as the positives, with pretty much everything else weighing it down. If Keystone Light is for you, rock it. But don't stop here. To do so would be a grave injustice.

1.7/5  rDev -5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

There is no point in pouring this beer into a glass before consumption. The reason being that the point of doing so would be to accentuate the aroma of the beer by giving it some head in the glass. This beer, however, neither smells nor tastes good. It has no hops, and it tastes like some slightly dirty water you might find in a puddle while hiking. My buddies might contend that it's "not that bad" compared to some of the other mass-produced shite that college kids drink. But if you're looking for a session beer, why waste your money on 30-'stones when you could go out and buy a case of Pabst??

1.75/5  rDev -2.2%

2.5/5  rDev +39.7%

4.5/5  rDev +151.4%

1.75/5  rDev -2.2%

2.1/5  rDev +17.3%

not overly impressed with this beer, again as usual more taste than bud light but not great by any strech.not good but there is worse out there, smells and looks bad, tastes ok, maybe compareable to busch, try to avoid this if better beer is available

2.75/5  rDev +53.6%

2.64/5  rDev +47.5%

1.2/5  rDev -33%

ugh, i poured it into a clear plastic cup at the party.

A: decent, foamed up nice, light straw, looked like it could be a beer.

S: metal shavings mixed with wet grain.

T: also metalic, mixed with sugar and wet grain.

M: fizzy, thin, and intrusive...

D: i'd honestly rather have water.

i got one swallow in... by comparison, BL Lime got two swallows to verify it was awful...

1.7/5  rDev -5%

A: pale yellow, fizzy white head that doesn't last or leave lacing.

S: corn, sweet, a bit skunky

T: see "smell"

M: fizzy and light.

O: this beer is pretty much just water that happens to get you drunk. if I rated drinkability I would give it a 6 out of 5.

1.25/5  rDev -30.2%