Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 449 | Hads: 1,833
1.12/5  rDev -45.9%

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a clear golden color with plenty of visible carbonation. I'll give it a few points here as it has pretty much nailed the light straw color with a short-lasting white head thing. Nose is grain and vegetables, mostly corn with a bit of squash. Taste is very, very light but all that's really there is a bit of grain and faint corn. Light body with pretty high carbonation. Gross. (405 characters)

1.05/5  rDev -49.3%

Quite possibly the saddest attempt of a beer I've ever had. Really poor quality, I know guys who still drink this willingly and it makes me wanna rip my hair out. It's almost crystal clear in color, no flavor besides maybe a slight hint of barley. This is not a beer to sit back and enjoy it's more like something that your going to chug at a kegger in college and puke up a few hours later. (391 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -5.3%

355ml can, a licensed version, at 4.0% ABV, made in Canada due to MolsonCoors' tendency to flood the local market with product duplication just because, well, they damned well want to.

This beer pours a crystal clear, bright, yet very, very pale yellow straw colour, with two fingers of fast-disappearing puffy and weakly foamy bone-white head, which leaves a bit of streaky lace around the glass.

It smells not so faintly of sweet, phenolic mashed corn, soaked white bread, and slightly vegetal and grassy, er, 'hops'. The taste is mildly grainy, actually none-too-sweet corn grist, stale, over-cooked rice, and equally less than subtle (as if we are forsaken) skanky, vegetal, and dead grassy hops.

The carbonation is moderate, and just a bit overwrought in its playful frothiness, the body most certainly lightweight, and unsurprisingly fairly watery. It finishes like a ghost, making you wonder if there was any beer there at all.

As much as I wanted to claim to the contrary, due in no small part to years of enduring those inane TV commercials, I can't say that this isn't smooth and drinkable - it is indeed that. What it isn't, of course, is worth imbibing if you're looking for flavour rather than a somewhat beer-adjacent stomach filler. (1,252 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This review is the second half of Macro Smackdown XVI. In terms of America's best selling macrobreweries, I give Pabst the gold medal, Miller the silver and let A-B and Coors fight over the bronze. That doesn't bode well for my taste buds at the end of this comparison tasting. Then again, maybe one or both of these light lagers will surprise me. Yeah, right.

Keystone Light is the same shade of anemic gold as Natural Light, but it has a lousy looking lid. It's dingy white and looks like some sort of chemical reaction gone awry as it fizzes into nothingness within minutes of the pour. It's been a while since I've seen a worse looking cap on a glass of beer.

Thankfully, very little greets my nose when I put it over the glass. I don't have a preference between these two, even though they don't smell identical. Neither one is grossly offensive, so at least that's something.

Keystone Light might have a smidgen more flavor than its competitor. Then again, maybe it's because I keep drinking it second and the Natty Light flavor is still on my taste buds. Nah, that can't be it. What little flavor Natty Light possesses is classic 'hit and run', 'gone before it ever began' kind of stuff. This beer is a trifle sweeter and is beginning to turn nasty as it warms. Big surprise there.

Since the mouthfeels are essentially identical in terms of heft (as in 'a lack of'), I'll have to use carbonation to distinguish them. They're both lightly fizzy, but this beer is a fraction harsher. Less smooth, one might say.

Due entirely to its horrifying head, Keystone Light comes up the loser in the sixteenth version of this venerated series. Don't kid yourself, though. Neither one of these light lagers should have been brewed in the first place. The fact that it's a 2005 GABF bronze medalist makes me wonder if there were only three entrants that year. (1,867 characters)

1.13/5  rDev -45.4%

Pour out a clear/pale yellow. Highly carbonated. No head. Smells like corn. Tastes like very bitter ( not a good bitter, either) corn, maltand water.
Mouthfeel is very thin and very watery. It really leaves a bad aftertaste, too. Not really drinkable,at all. (259 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -23.2%

Last one of the night as this one just killed it for me. The gas station down the street was selling these for .79 I knew I was in trouble.

Poured into a pint glass it was not terrible, had a nice light golden color and a smooth, even carbonation level I could see through the crystal clear glass. Decently done. Unfortunatly that is where the fun ended as light corn, musky wet hay and just a mess took over from there. Not cool at all. Too light and way overcarbonated, the cold only served to mask what was a near putrid flavor. Wet corn and grass, week old clippings and a mess of grain. Just nothing redeeming here at all.

Overall I could see why this is is the top ten worst beers, wow. .79 could have been spent on gum. (729 characters)

2.1/5  rDev +1.4%

A: Incredibly pale yellow. As with many other light lagers, the appearance is incredibly reminiscent of water. There is a fluffy white head, initially, which quickly disappears.

S: The smell is pretty bad. A large amount of gas from the carbonation stings the nose a bit, and then you are hit with the smell of rice and corn, with very little grain.

T: The taste is, not surprisingly, very light. It is sweet and is noticeably lacking in grain flavor. There is a complete absence of hops as well. As it warms up, it gets worse, so drink it fast.

M: The beer is very, very thin and fizzy.

D: The mouthfeel, along with a very cold temperature, is what makes this beer somewhat palatable. (689 characters)

2.43/5  rDev +17.4%

If you're looking for a light beer with reduced calories, this one fits the bill with just 104 calories, 5 grams of carbs, .7 grams of protein and 0 fat. It pours a crystal-clear light-gold body and a good-sized head of bright-white foam that vanishes almost immediately. Only a thread of a collar is left behind and, as might be expected, it leaves no lace. A generic beer aroma with a bit of yeasty sulphur greets you as you raise the glass - or specially lined can ;) - to your lips. The body is light and crisp with a fine, median level of carbonation that gives a bit of a tingle in the mouth. The flavor displays a quick note of sweet, adjunct laden malt before drying at mid-palate. It finishes dry with a light wash of alcohol and leaves just a thin film of sweetness in the mouth. It's a pretty vacant beer, but that's to be expected for the style. It's incredibly easy to drink - almost like a can of seltzer - but what's the point? There are more satisfying light beers available. (991 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color with a large white head that fades very quickly and leaves a little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light malts, adjuncts and grain with a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts with a thin malt and adjunct sweetness followed by some bready grain flavor. The hop presence is very mild even for the style. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, very light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not much flavor, goes down very easily since there isn't much to it and not filling for the same reason, this is one of the lighter of the light beers for whatever that might be worth, overall though it’s not something I would choose right away even amongst the very inexpensive beers. (841 characters)

2.48/5  rDev +19.8%

Thanks to my Grandma for letting me have one to review.
Poured cold from a 12oz can into a standard pint.

A - Straw yellow w/ a quickly collapsing white head

S - Somewhat corn and other light malt odors.

M - Fizzy w/ light body but not too thin for a light lager.

T - A little malt, a little corn taste, no bitterness, inoffensive as there is not much else going on.

D - A basic light lager, forgettable, but a decent example. So it may be "Always Smooth", but mostly flavorless in my opinion. (510 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

30 pack for usually about $12.99

In my college days I must have had thousands of this beer. For a cheap beer this is the way to go. I'd rank it ahead of Bud and Coors, and it's about half the price. It tastes like water and goes down easy so great for drinking games and beer pong. It is what it is, cheap, easy to drink beer. (327 characters)

2.07/5  rDev 0%

12 oz can with no freshness date.

Appearance: Soda fizzle type head with no retention. Perfect strip filtered clarity showing a extremely pale yellow colour.

Smell: Clean with a faint astringent husky grain and creamed corn aroma.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Off slickness in the mouth with a dense crispness that seems too forced … added dextrins? Very little malt flavour at all, bitter bit from a flavourless hop and astringent grain show it has some beer quality but not much. Finishes dry with no after taste … almost like drinking nothing at all.

Notes: It is what it is, a cheap crappy light beer. For people that are so worried about the price of beer and think they need to drink light beer this is for them. Sadly what they spend on a six pack, which most down in less than an hour, they could buy one bottle of real ale from England and actually have some respect for beer. Or even a bomber of Euro lager with real hop flavour ... (956 characters)

2.44/5  rDev +17.9%

Picked up a 12 pack to thank my neighbor, but she has been slow to drink them so for science's sake:

Pours an effervescent gold with a pinky of cream colored head that drops away quickly. No head retention or lacing

S: Light cereal notes, a touch of floral & citric hops, fades away soonish

T: Sweet cereal notes, some apple & white grape noticable up front. Watered down apple juice dominates as this warms, along some wet cereal. Finishes a bit watery, with a touch of apple sauce

MF: Light bodied, fairly firm carbonation, some watery feel. okay balance

Not too drinkable, but had no trouble choking one down. Certainly not the worst of this genre I've had, but you could've told me this was non-sweetened apple juice & I would've believed you... (754 characters)

2.11/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz aluminum can with unappealing label - "Hunting Season Camo Can" - given to me by an acquaintance. Served cold into a pilsner glass in low altitude Austin, TX. Reviewed live. Expectations are low given the brewery.

Best before: Dec 29 2014. Side-poured fairly gently as overcarbonation is anticipated.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: 2.5 finger wide head of white colour. Okay creaminess and thickness. Could be fuller and softer. Retention isn't bad - 4 minutes maybe. Leaves no lacing as it recedes.

BODY: Weak watery translucent transparent pale yellow colour; quite dull and drab. Unappealing, but clean at least. No yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible.

Appears adequately carbonated. It's not much to look at by any stretch, but it's not egregious of off-putting.

AROMA: Water, barley, faint grains, straw, and cereals. A light aroma which comes off a bit too sweet, but not cloyingly so. Light intensity.

I can't say I'm horribly excited to try it, but I've encountered worse in the style. Quite bland, if anything. No yeast character, overt alcohol, or egregious off-notes are detectable. Lacks any discernable hop profile.

TASTE: Pilsner malts, cheap barley, generic graininess, overly sweet cereals, straw, and an unfortunate light buttery note which hints at diacetyl off-character. Poorly constructed, imbalanced, and painfully simple. Bland and boring. I will say I'm glad it's not as cloyingly sweet as many other low quality light beers, but I'm not enjoying it much.

Lacks subtlety and intricacy.

TEXTURE: A bit refreshing. To its credit, it's not real watery like so many other bland light beers. High water hardness. Smooth and wet, with some sharp overcarbonation. Not as soft or light-bodied as would be ideal. It's too thick and heavy on the palate for such an insipid beer, but it's by no means overbearing - after all, it is a light beer.

OVERALL: Definitely drinkable - that's what it's for. Beer pong enthusiasts and broke undergrads will enjoy this is as a refrigerator staple, but it won't impress the discerning drinker. Thee are worse light beers out there, but that doesn't change the fact that this is an unpleasant brew with few redeeming characteristics. I can't complain about the price, but I'd discourage friends from picking this up. (2,308 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -2.9%

Oh, I figured I would eventually break down and review a canned beer. Well, my roomate picked up a case of this stuff, and he swares by it. Yes pretty much this is his beer of choice, not only option, just choice. So, I figured I would review it, never actually had this beer in a can, just in high school as the typical keg swill. I cracked the can unleashing all of the artificial carbonation, and she pours a pale golden straw color that contains a very fizzy white head. Definitely nothing looking appetizing or impressive here. I continute to attempt to detect some aroma, and to my surprise it isn't repulsive as I had thought with a sweet lemon grass aroma with just a touch of hops in the background. With the still semi-pleasant aroma in my senses, I proceed with my first sip. This beer contains nothing great, in fact it is made with the cheapest of ingredients, but it actually brings a balanced flavor that is highly drinkable. The corn and rice, along with some malt produces a very sweet finish to this beer that in my opinion kicks Coors Light's ass. This does have some flavor to it, maybe not what I want out of a beer, but for the college student looking to relieve some stress and catch a nice buzz this beer does it's duty. I can't tear Keystone Light apart, because it has flavors that were designed to be completely unoffensive and in tact with the most amount of people as possible. The mouthfeel is like carbonated water, and yes this beer will go down in number with a low alcohol percentage you could probably put down alot of this, but in my opinion I really don't want to. I just wish this wasn't the only style of beer that's predominantly enjoyed by the masses, because they are missing out on a world of great beer styles. Oh, and by the way you better drink this one cold, because when it starts warming you will taste the difference. (1,867 characters)

2.13/5  rDev +2.9%

Freshness date of Oct. 05 09 on bottom.

Pours very clear light straw yellow. It has a pretty sizeable head at first, but it collapses. Not much different than typical lt lager, though even a tad lighter.

It has a hint of grain and cereal - mainly seltzer water.

This tastes like tonic water - actually worse. It has a washed out cereal taste. It's neither sweet nor bitter, it's just "there". Not doing much in taste department. Seriously - a little washed out grain...that's it. Aftertaste is not so pleasant, but not horrible I guess.

This is fizzy nothing.

Tonic water with hint of grain and a hint of alcohol anyone? MAYBE if I were into beer pong...but I'm not...and even then there are better cheap light lagers out there... (735 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Served in a can at the Nag's Head in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a crystal clear pale golden yellow in color with moderate to heavy amounts of visible active carbonation and some medium + lemon yellow highlights. The beer has a sudsy one finger tall bright white head that reduces to a medium sized patch of very thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of corn, rice, and just a hint of grainy adjunct malts with a hint of grassy hops.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate vegetal malt flavor with corn featuring fairly strongly and some lighter hints of rice and grain - this beer is all adjunct malts. There is a hint of grassy hops and a light to moderate amount of bitterness which fades pretty quickly.

M: Light bodied with heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: While the appearance is spot on for the style, the aroma and the taste border on the slightly offensive. This is not a very enjoyable beer to drink (slightly over carbonated) and definitely not one that I would grab again - or have another during a session. I actually remember this being slightly better from my college days but that was a long time ago and I likely had forgotten some of the badness. Also, just to note that the flavor actual gets worse as it warms up so I recommend drinking it extremely cold and quickly. (1,393 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -13%

So I had one of these over the weekend, because one of my buddies got an entire 30 pack (horrible choice) and basically made me drink one. So, I figured I would review it.

I actually poured it into a pint glass to see what it looked like. This beer is not too pretty. Very clear, thin straw yellow color. Little head and no lacing.

Smell? Not really... maybe some grain and low amount of hops.

Taste? Water maybe... a little bit of corn I'd say.

Mouthfeel is horrible. Not smooth at all and makes me want to gag.

These beers are super light and you easily enjoy a few IF you could stomach them.

Overall, I would never recommend this to anyone. Please save yourself the pain and buy some real beer. (705 characters)

2.17/5  rDev +4.8%

After finishing the beer I brought, all that was let was a keg of this.

A: Clear straw/yellow color, a little head which dissipated to a layer of small bubbles on top. Not much lacing.

S: Not a ton going on here. A little musty, but get a little grain and some corn.

T: Tasted almost like watered down apple juice. Not much flavor at all.

M/D: Very light, somewhat high carbonation. Overall, it is, what it is. Cheap light beer. Honestly, from what the keg prices were I don't blame them for getting this over the other less than stellar options. (554 characters)

2.55/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The beer pours a pale gold color with a 1/2" fizzy white head that quickly fades to no lacing. The aroma is below average. It has a faint pilsner malt scent along with some adjuncts and a dry lager yeast aroma. The taste is less than average as well. It has a watery, pilsner malt flavor that's devoid of any real beer character. It goes down extremely smooth and finishes dry with very little malt taste. The mouthfeel is average. It is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an easy drinking beer, but it's nothing special, even by light lager standards. (570 characters)

2.88/5  rDev +39.1%

Pours a pale golden yellow with 1/2" of loose, bubbly, soap-like head with little retention. The smell is grainy, primarily corn. The taste is corn and grains, a little sweet, and finishes with very faint grassy hops. The mouthfeel is very light with moderate carbonation.

Overall, it's rather nondescript, but it's unoffensive. The good news is there's no metallic off flavors that are so prevalent among macros. (414 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -20.3%

What CAN I review next? This was another find at my local sixer, but it was not much of a find. It was another fizzy yellow beer with a big white head with low retention. The nose was virtually nonexistent. The mouthfeel was thin and watery without much flavor, either. The finish made me wish that I had some actual beer, rather than the swill that seems to fill cans. Boooring! (379 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow, this is crap. Piss yellow, white head, QUICKlY dissipates to NO HEAD, not even a bubble! No aroma (maybe a little corn), no taste,no malt,no hops. Obviously not much going on here, except a pure waste of decent water, aluminium etc etc. I truly would rather drink seltzer. Dont support Coors, dont buy this stuff. I took a can out of a cooler at a neighborhood picnic a few weeks back, just for beer research purposes.... (426 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -41.5%

12 oz. can, had with relatives while watching a Dodger Game, there was no other beer to be had.

A: Drunk straight out of the can, so I'm just giving it an average score on appearance.

S: Virtually non-existent, but nothing objectionable.

T: Nothing upfront except carbonated water and a very slight hint of malt. After it warmed up for about 5 minutes, it got this rotten, acrid, cooked vegetable flavor that was very off-putting.

M: Light as water, no real mouthfeel except for the carbonation.

D: The horrible taste mentioned made it a drain pour, I couldn't finish it, a rarity for me. It also gave me a bad headache after one. This beer sucks and I don't plan on ever drinking it again. (705 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -16.4%

Hooray! It's the last beer of the College Light Invitational! No more torment after this! Once again, the 7 ounce shot applies. Let's finish the work:

Can you say fizzy beer? Clear straw color, pours a foamy head that drops quickly in the glass. The aroma is of sweet corn, and not very heavy in that. The first drink of this beer is pretty empty, a mix of rice and corn, creating a very faint taste. This "never bitter beer" lives to that slogan, never bitter. Wow, this is almost like drinking air. What's the point of drinking this besides playing games with it?

Now for the 7 ounce shot. One moment please...let's see, not bitter, tasteless...yep, quite chuggable.
"Chuggability" gets a 4 rating. Hooray!

The College Light Invitation is over, and the results are in. Let's announce the winner, at it is...

Tecate Light!

All four watered down beers flexed whatever muscles they had. I'm really glad this torment is over, as this was a boring tasting invite. The reason I sampled these beers is so you don't have to. You can check my previous reviews if you're interested. Good night everyone! (1,102 characters)

Keystone Light from Coors Brewing Company