Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Light Alström Bros
Reviews: 449 | Hads: 1,833
1.47/5  rDev -29%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Why? I just had to, I guess. Looks like ginger ale, extremely pale golden, tons of carbonation, small white foamy head. Aroma not much to speak of, not bad, just very faint grainy smell. Taste is also a no-show, more water than anything else, some wet paper taste. No finish either, but then it never really started. Beer flavored water... (339 characters)

Someone a while back told me he was at the coors beer tour and the tour guide asked the crowd what the difference of Coors light and Keystone light was. The answer was there was no difference. Tour guide went on to explain that when the light brew tank is emptied, the top half or so is bottled Coors light. The bottom of the tank is bottled Keystone light. Coors light is lighter, higher grade, and Keystone light is a little heavier. Probably what you all would call the bock of the tank. And this practice is part of all major breweries. The top half is higher grade and the lower half is lower grade. And that's all it is folks. Keystone light is actually tastier than Coors light. But Consumers want the top shelf stuff. Understood. I like Keystone light better than all the other light beers. I sometimes have to buy other light beers because Keystone isn't stocked. I really can't stand Busch light or Bud light. Miller lite is okay but is kind of flat tasting after a couple. Keystone light keeps up with taste. I am not a Keystone light homer but I like this beer in the Summer. Period. The College have no money get cheap beer thing gets old on here. I always go for Keystone light and I can afford expensive beer. (1,224 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -9.2%

During college I drank probably 500 cases of this swill. I gave it a 4 for Look simply because as an American Adjunct, it is pale and straw colored, which is what you're looking for in that style. Cold and out of the can/draft it smells like wet straw; hot and sitting out all night/day/weekend it smells like my college house. I had to give it a 2 for taste just because although its tastes like slightly malty carbonated water, it IS extremely drinkable (used to split a 30-rack in half with my buddy and drink it over the course of the day tailgating). Has a watery mouthfeel that makes you want to keep drinking it if you've already had one or two or twelve.

Verdict: I cut my drinking teeth on this beer but as a grown man avoid it. But at the end of the day, based on style alone, I do think there are worse American Adjunct light beers. (845 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -6.3%

There's really nothing special about Keystone Light. About as pale on flavor as it is in color. But this is my go-to summer beer. After working in the heat and humidity of southern Missouri prepping the bottom field for the upcoming deer season, the last thing I'm reaching for is a heavy (yet delicious) craft brew. BBQ with friends? Keystone Light allows me to keep up with my buddies without bloating like roadkill. The best part is the price. $15 for a 30-pack. Definately a "quantity beer." Overall, this isn't a terrible example of the style. God knows you could do worse. (578 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -14%

I've probably had thousands of these (seriously) back when they were "$13 bones for 30 stones." Provided me some great memories, and some times I don't remember, however, for a beer review, they're awful, nothing I'd go out of my way to get, hell, might even pass on one now if it was all I had. Just watery suds that'll get you drunk if you drink enough. The'll always have a special place in my heart, but never in my fridge... (431 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +25.6%

Go ahead, throw out my rating. I admit it, it's primarily based on nostalgia. I drank this crap all throughout high school and college. I was the keystone light guy. My buddies would buy a half case of "good" beer such as Budweiser, and for the same price I'd buy a case of stones. Could I drink a case? Sure...throughout the course of a week. But I always had enough to share with girls who didn't have any beer because they didn't have a fake ID. So, who's the dummy here? Plus, I really don't think there's much of a difference between this beer and some of the more popular light lagers such as Bud Light. (609 characters)

2.7/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

25 oz can after painting.
Pale color smallish head. Light grainy corny aroma and flavor. Crisp light clean adjunct beer. It didn't totally suck, but would have been better with just more of something. (201 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +56.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Not good at all. Extremely watery and tastes very flat. No matter what I drink this out of, can or glass, it does not taste good. There is too much carbonation every time I drink this. Would not recommend this one. (218 characters)

2.59/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Sweet and slightly watery with hint of alcohol even though it's a low ABV. Somewhat high rating because regardless of the beer, I like high carbonation in lighter beers and lighter styles in general (198 characters)

1.06/5  rDev -48.8%

From a distance looks like it would be like any other cheap beer. Simply put, it's not. This is by far the WORST beer I've ever had. Not worth buying, not worth drinking. (170 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

16oz can poured into a pint glass

A- Pours a crystal clear, almost water-like straw color with a small fizzy white head that retains pretty long after the pour

S- pretty muted aroma, hints of cooked corn, whips of grass and some perfume

T- flavor up front tastes pretty much like seltzer water, it's that bland. Some adjunct flavoring mid-palate, the finish has an odd metallic flavor with just a hint of toasted malt on the linger

M- watery thin body with low carbonation leads to a watery mouthfeel that continues into the finish

O- this is one of the most watery beers I've ever had, it simply has no flavor. It's certainly a stretch to call this beer (662 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It smells, looks like, tastes, and feels just like Coors Light, but at half the cost! If you are having dozens of people over for a summer party, why not? If anyone at the party complains about the beer, let them know there is more room in the ice chest and point them towards the nearest store. Great for beer pong. If someone slops it on the table, no one is going to cry. If the morning after a party you go around your home and find a bunch of open, half drank cans, it's no big loss. Flat keystone light makes great snail bait in the garden. SEE! , your friends are getting a slight buzz AND you're saving your tomatos from pests. Another plus is that aluminum cans are profitable right now at recycle stations in most states AND my dog loves beer. I'm not going to waste quality suds on the mutt, but keystone light? Drink up Fido! (837 characters)

2.15/5  rDev +3.9%

In Monty Python 's Live at the Hollywood Bowl there's a joke about bad beer being like sex in a canoe.....it's Fu@$ing close to water. That joke came to mind as I drank this. There is a mild bubblegum, corn and hop bitterness as it finishes with a touch of metal but over all its just water. It drinks amazingly easy with little carbonation, like water. It's not overly offensive so I don't feel I can score it lower than a 2, it's just water and very little beer. (464 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +97.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Coors had originally been considered only a banquet beer. Wanting to get a lager share of the blue collar market they researched bringing a new beer on the market. It was there sole intent to garner that part of demographics.

However, they needed to consider two important factors. The first and most important was the financial aspect. What was it going to cost them to bring this product to market. Then a greater concern, was would the consumer like it? The problem was easily solved. The powers that be, asked what is our now most profitable brew? The answer was the “Silver Bullet,” better established as Coors Light.

There was no need for addition infrastructure. The equipment was in place and not running at full capacity. Rather than run silver cans down the line, just put some blue ones in.

Blind fold a Coors fan and offer hin a glass of Coors Light and a glass of Keystone. I will give you Las Vegas odds that they cannot distinguish the difference. There is none, only that keystone is more affordable. The best part is that you will save about 23%.

PS. Daughter worked for Coors Market Development about 20 years ago. Her insider info helped me pay off her college education. (1,216 characters)

A - Extremely light yellow, such as well hydrated urine.
S - Dusty rubbing alcohol.
T - Tastes like rubbing alcohol mixed with tonic water.
O - Baaaaad.
V - Really good value, stuff runs at like 12 bucks for a 30 pack. (222 characters)

Easy drinking smooth, simple, light beer. I personally like Keystone light. Its very crisp and refreshing. Rating it on what it is, an american light beer, its one of the best you can get. (188 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -30.4%

Got a dirty thirty camo cans for deer camp. After a couple you develop a nasty taste in your mouth. Makes a mean hangover also. Cheap buzz tastes like shit (155 characters)

I have tried most of the macros. It gets a 3 if i enjoy it enough that i will buy it again, and if it isn't Something i would buy it gets a two. This is kind of bad (165 characters)

1.98/5  rDev -4.3%

This probably doesn't really deserve a review, but I thought I'd do one anyhow. I've heard rumors it is essentially Coors Light and it tastes pretty much the same. Got some sitting at the back of the fridge so it's review time.

Appearance (2) - Re-review. in the can, updated and poured for appearance. Fluffy white two finger head that recedes like a mudslide. Pale hay colored appearance, transparent as water. Read your Kindle through it, Keystone doesn't mind!

Smell (1.5) - canned corn. mildewy grains. fried egg. tin. hint of lemon lime soda.

Taste/Flavor (1.5) - Pretty much awful but the drinkability saves it from completely tanking, so I'll give it that. I get musty corn, tin, cardboard, and a residual grainy sweetness on the finish. (Later, with peanut butter, it tastes like Olive juice. So weird.)

Mouthfeel/Drinkability (3.5) - "Always Smooth". The carbonation is wrapped in an easy drinking smoothness. Super watery, though. Can't say any more or less than that. Pound a few without regret.

Overall (2.12) - It may be the worst beer in my fridge but it's not the worst beer of all time. It gets a pretty bad rep but it has a few redeeming qualities. For a light beer it drinks smooth. It's not tasty, but I'll take that lack of taste over some of the over-hopped IPA "crafts" I've had.I think I bought this 12 pack of cans for around $8 if I remember right. If anything, the price is right. So you've got price and drink-ability as the positives, with pretty much everything else weighing it down. If Keystone Light is for you, rock it. But don't stop here. To do so would be a grave injustice. (1,616 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +78.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 5

Appearance
Three fingers thick head that dissipates rapidly. There is no lacing. The body is very clear. It is a light golden, yellowish color. It looks watery. Very active carbonation.

Smell
Mild. Clean. Faintly malty.

Taste
Mild. Clean. Faintly malty. Extremely refreshing and drinkable. Hops are hard to detect. However the beer is well balanced. Not overly sweet or dry. Just mild and clean.

Mouthfeel
Goes down so easy it's crazy. Watery. Refreshing. Lots of carbonation.

Overall
The perfect chuggable light beer. This has got to be the smoothest, easiest to drink beer out there. It is also one of the cheapest. It is not harsh in anyway at all. It is the easiest of easy drinking beers. Keystone Light is the quintessential cheap light beer. If you want a cheap easy drinking light beer then this is the ultimate of that type. Enjoy. (844 characters)

2.75/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer was ok for a cheap beer. You could tell that it was a cheap beer when drinking it. I have had a lot worse cheap beers, so compaired to some that I have had this one was ok. If you do not want to spend a lot of money on beer then this is the beer for you. (264 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +120.8%

Initial thought: Incredible. Delicious is the first word that comes to mind. Drinkability, ya know like chug-ability. The ability to chug. Fountain of youth type hydration. Relinquishes thirst like a common niagara fall in a can.

A-Caramel apple jesus piss type color. Sort of like the red sea turns keystone type feel.

S-Smells like the first breath of fresh unraped oxygen when you get out of a state penitentiary.

T-Fresh squeezed god nectar from the garden of eden. The snake really was too drunk to pick out the right tree and picked a stupid apple instead of a fresh delicious keystone light.

M-Wide mouth for extra drinkability like a virgin blowjob with a drop-jaw which eventually turns into a lock-jaw am I right woop woop hell yeah yum yum keystone 4 the win.

O-Damn good. (792 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: light straw yellow, not appealing looking
Aroma: Doesn't really have any distinct smells. hints of the grains
Taste: Pretty smooth with lack in taste. There is a slight hint of lemon though giving off a somewhat sour taste.

Serving type: can (254 characters)

For a man of both macro and craft, this is my personal favorite macro American light. I poured it from the can into my trusty drinking boot for this review.
The appearance is light gold and very transparent, as with most brews of this style. Decent sized head, too.
Not much of an aroma here, so I can't honestly say its offensive to me. Nor can I say its the most amazing scent I've ever experienced, thus the 3 rating.
The mouthfeel is very light and crisp with virtually no lingering elements. This is expected with light American adjuncts, so I certainly wasn't disappointed.
The taste is very,very slightly more hoppy and noticeable than Coor's Light-the "main" light brew of the company. Another reason why I go for this when the occasion calls for it.
If I'm low on funds and just want something light, Keystone Light is my personal choice. For under $20 here in northeast Ohio, I really dig that price when I'm in a light beer mood. As I've said in my Budweiser review, while I venture out into more exciting territories in the world of craft brew, I have the old standby. This just so happens to be my light standby. (1,132 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +61.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Keystone Light is a brew made by Coors. Pours a light yellow color. With a small white head. The cam says always smooth and I will give it that. This brew is smooth. There is nothing bad about this brew. In my opinion this brew is better than Coors Light, this beer has more to it. I would get this over Coors light any day. (324 characters)

Keystone Light from Coors Brewing Company