Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Light Alström Bros
jifigz

2.15/5  rDev +20.1%

I just had a Hop Devil and that leaves me with only one more Hop Devil and one Troeg's pale ale, so I decided to save those for another day and steal one of these from my sister.

Poured into a pint glass
A: Possibly the lightest colored beer I have ever seen. This is extremely comparable to slightly dirty water or extremely diluted apple cider vinegar. A rather large head appeared and maybe crisp bubbling noises as it quickly disappeared.

S: Actually pretty tempting. Something sweet like candy with a touch of an adjunct...corn maybe? Maybe a banana like runt

T: Pretty much follows the smell. It is pretty sweet the entire time with some corn flavor. Not awful, but not complex or satisfying.

M: Way too much carbonation in my opinion, and very watery. The Carbonation leaves my mouth and throat tingling and burning.

O: Not a terrible beverage. I like this a lot better than other drinks, just not other beers. It is a shame to be called a beer, but much more delicious than say a Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper, or Pepsi.

06-22-2011 01:01:57 | More by jifigz
matjack85

1.27/5  rDev -29.1%

I found these 16oz cans in a discount basket at Foremost Liquors in Glendale Heights, IL, for just 50¢ each, so I grabbed a few. No freshness date.

The beer poured a crystal clear pale gold color with tons of carbonation bubbles rising quickly to the surface. Only 1-finger of fizzy white head that lasted all of about 30 seconds. It left no lacing.

Faint grain smell along with something sweet.

There is practically no taste to this beer.

Light, crisp, and flavorless mouthfeel. Somewhat metallic with medium high carbonation.

There is no reason to get this beer at any price.

06-19-2011 05:23:20 | More by matjack85
RedSoxFan1983

Kentucky

2.95/5  rDev +64.8%

Trying this out for the first time, if Stone Cold drinks this it should be good, right?

No appearance because i'm drinking straight out of the can.

Smell-smells like your typical piss water frat boy beer.

Taste-if Coors Light and Busch Light had a child this is what it would taste like

Mouthfeel-mostly watered down hops

Overall-This is a good beer to drink if you're out to get drunk or just something to drink after working outside during hot summer months, not the best beer out there but not the worst.

06-18-2011 02:53:22 | More by RedSoxFan1983
leansean88

1.27/5  rDev -29.1%

I had heard a lot of bad things about Keystone Light, but really wanted to try one for myself to see if the rumors were true. My roommate was what some would call a "bro", so he had a steady supply on hand. One curious night, I steal a can off of him and get to drinking.

It smells like grain and piss. It tastes like pool water in serious need of chlorine. Some have said that drinking Keystone Light is like drinking swamp water. In fairness, if you drink swamp water, you are doing it to survive in the wild. If you pay money to drink Keystone, you do so because you are a desperate fool.

Needless to say, I promptly reimbursed my roommate the 55 cents the can cost and threw the remaining 3/4 down the drain. You deserve better than to expose yourself to this heap of rubbish. That is, if you consider yourself a beer drinker.

06-15-2011 05:16:49 | More by leansean88
THECPJ

Delaware

Reviewed from notes: had at a memorial day weekend party.

appearance: straw pale yellow with a 1 finger white head

smell: corn, hay, straw, malts

taste: water

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin body,

overall: didn't expect much since it's part of Coors line up of beers. But I tell you this it goes down smooth on a hot summer day. It replaced all my water consumption for the day.

Cheers,
the CPJ

05-29-2011 21:20:03 | More by THECPJ
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.03/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color with a large white head that fades very quickly and leaves a little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light malts, adjuncts and grain with a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts with a thin malt and adjunct sweetness followed by some bready grain flavor. The hop presence is very mild even for the style. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, very light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not much flavor, goes down very easily since there isn't much to it and not filling for the same reason, this is one of the lighter of the light beers for whatever that might be worth, overall though it’s not something I would choose right away even amongst the very inexpensive beers.

05-25-2011 01:21:06 | More by TheManiacalOne
esv

3.75/5  rDev +109.5%

A) Bright-white head dissapered immediately. The lightest of straw. Crystal clear.

S) Very little smell. Hint of sweetness.

T) I really liked this as a light lager. Very dry, no gross hint of malt sweetness. Very little flavor.

M) Light

O) One light lager that doesn't get much worse as it warms.

05-17-2011 01:11:59 | More by esv
DCon

Missouri

2.1/5  rDev +17.3%

Traded my friend Geoffrey a Bud Light Lime for this Keystone Light so I can review it. Haven't had a Keystone for a while so here goes nothing! Poured from a 12oz can into my Budweiser/St. Louis Rams Pint Glass. Has a Best By Date of JUL0411 on the bottom of the can.

Appearance- Pours a 3 finger, frothy head that dies in seconds. Has a crystalized white/golden body with tons of carbonation bubbles. Looks exactly like a glass of Tonic Water would and has no retention. Terrible!

Smell- The smell isn't anything special. Has a grain and light corn smell upfront and also a hint of corn. Not a bad aroma but didn't strike up anything different for a light lager.

Taste- This beer starts off with a light cracker/grainy taste. It is sweet and has a bit of a fruity gum aftertaste. Nothing hints towards a refreshing beer though!

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, Light Viscosity, Thin but Smooth. Leaves a bread taste on the palate afterwards.

Overall- The beer's motto is "Always Smooth" and yes, this is true! But I cannot find myself drinking this beer even on a floating trip! I have a feeling many people buy 18/30 packs of this beer for Beer Pong or binge drinking. True, this would be a perfect beer for this occasion but nothing I will be picking up anytime soon.

05-16-2011 00:46:39 | More by DCon
MaltsOfGlory

Oregon

1.55/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Pours a huge two finger white head that I can hear fizzing away, and I'm sitting three feet away from it. The head looks nice, it has small bubbles, but it will be gone in seconds, and...now it's gone. Zero lacing on this beer, the body is piss yellow, completely see through, it looks like yellow water. This beer looks awful, but what can I expect, right? The only thing I can say that is ok about the appearance is the moderate carbonation. Sweet malt adjunct on the smell, no hops, there is also a metallic, can smell. No complexity at all here, I'm surprised at how much of an aroma there is, considering how flavorless I know this beer is. Even though there is an aroma, it's not a good one, it's sour, sweet and adjuncty. Wow, thats a bad taste, very sour, and the adjuncts are just through the roof. Frankly all I get out of this beer is adjuncts and carbonation, maybe a tiny bit of malt. That can taste really comes through too, and beats you over the head with grossness. I don't remember this beer being this gross, but wowzers, more flavor than I thought there would be really, bad flavor! I'm considering giving this a 1 for taste, but it's just barely making a 1.5. The mouthfeel is really the only redeeming part of this beer, sure it's thin as all hell, but the carbonation is where it should be. Drinkability is obviously really high, but that's not enough to save this beer. Overall, a bad beer, not the worst beer I've ever had, but it's getting close, probably in the top 5.

05-15-2011 01:08:39 | More by MaltsOfGlory
DrewV

Poured from a can into a SA Perfect Pint glass (although I suspect the glassware doesn't matter with this beer).

I've drank about a thousand of these in my younger years before I knew what beer actually was. So I figured I'd owe it to the BA community to offer my professional opinion. Frankly, I find the endless stream of "F" ratings for this beer to be absolutely hilarious, as are the personal comments that accompany the reviews.

A: Pours an extremely pale straw color with a 1-finger fizzy white head, which subsides as fast as it developed.

S: Can't smell a thing. Maybe a generic "cheap beer" aroma? Some sort of alcoholic grains or something? Who knows. Who really cares?

T: Bitter cheap beer taste. I can't really quantify it. Is it corn? Some other type of grain? Is it even fermentable? Wish I knew. Just a terrible, watery, virtually nonexistent flavor. But it does taste sort of bitter, so maybe that's something.

M: Fizzy carbonation, not much else. Pretty dry, I guess.

O: I'm assuming the kitchen sink appreciated this more than I did, as this stuff hit the drain after 3 sips. I'm sorry, but I just couldn't tolerate any more.

Final remarks: Unless you're short on cash or want to pound down a case or two of weak beer, avoid this at all costs. Good enough for inexperienced college kids looking for a cheap buzz, but really not much else. But I just had to give this 1.0's across the board, as there really aren't any redeeming beer-like qualities here.

Honestly, if you're looking for a cheap beer that actually resembles a real beer, try a Stroh's in the blue can. At least with that one you know you're not just drinking bad-tasting water.

05-10-2011 02:50:14 | More by DrewV
BeerMark

Alabama

I'll try to review this beer with it's style in mind. Yellow fizzy pour in my Pilsner glass. Good deal of carbonation. Basically no smell whatsoever. Taste is a slight corn flavor. Not much going on here. We all know this ain't no craft beer. It is drinkable and priced right. Made for parties and guzzling. It's Coors light in a different can.

04-24-2011 10:01:50 | More by BeerMark
LeeryLeprechaun

Colorado

1.15/5  rDev -35.8%

I am not sure that I have ever poured, smelled, tasted, or suffered through a beer with less beerness than this beer.

The body is light with a some what sharp carbonation that is to high. There is no aroma and no flavor, until the beer begins to warm and then you are greeted with a flavor that should have been kept hidden.

I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

04-09-2011 01:05:54 | More by LeeryLeprechaun
techfed87

1.83/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a quickly dispersing head. Color is a clear yellow. Smell is a bit off-putting. It almost seems a bit chemically, rather than something you'd expect from a lager.

First sip doesn't really have much too it. There is a level of carbonation, but the body just isn't there. It really is lacking in flavor and character, that much is very clear. And even in terms of light beers, it's just not there. Even a Bud Light or PBR would have some kind of flavor profile to grasp onto. But this, this just doesn't have anything. No malt, no hop, no nothing.

Although, I will say that it is carbonated. And slightly alcoholic. Blegh.

04-05-2011 02:02:07 | More by techfed87
buschbeer

2.48/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

24oz can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It pours a pale, straw yellow. Three inches of white head.

S - The aroma is grainy with some lemon grass.

T - Light grainy notes. No discernible hops.

M - Watery mouthfeel

O - I didn't make a bitter beer face.

04-04-2011 23:09:39 | More by buschbeer
chicagoabbot

1.88/5  rDev +5%

12 oz can, straight out of the can. Pretty much tastes like flavored water. At least it isn't quite as objectionable as Coors Light, which is probably just a slightly different recipe. Another great use for America's corn: Keystone Light. Have it with some chips and there's some more corn down. Slightly more corn to go. We used to shotgun this beer, so I guess you could say it is highly drinkable. It also works well in beer bongs, much better than, say, Dark Lord. Enough said--avoid unless it's free and you're thirsty.

03-31-2011 01:37:04 | More by chicagoabbot
heebes

Ontario (Canada)

1.88/5  rDev +5%

355 ml can.
Leftover in a fridge, figured I would try one instead of the normal Coors Light that was offered.

Pours a very pale yellow, fizzy white head, no retention. Nose is astrigent, grain and corn. Taste is watery, almost no flavour besides the grain. Weak and light mouthfeel, fizzy. Overall a terribly cheap beer, made with nothing valuable besides water which it almost resembles. Terrible.

03-22-2011 21:37:18 | More by heebes
Knapp85

1.05/5  rDev -41.3%

Quite possibly the saddest attempt of a beer I've ever had. Really poor quality, I know guys who still drink this willingly and it makes me wanna rip my hair out. It's almost crystal clear in color, no flavor besides maybe a slight hint of barley. This is not a beer to sit back and enjoy it's more like something that your going to chug at a kegger in college and puke up a few hours later.

03-20-2011 15:29:40 | More by Knapp85
poppollutesminds

1.5/5  rDev -16.2%

Why would I review such an unprestigous beer? I went to college. Looks, smells, and tastes like water. Only valuable to those on a budget. Was a nostalgic trip down memory lane. Please do NOT buy this beer unless you plan to ignore taste and quality and shoot straight for imbibing alcohol.

03-09-2011 05:08:03 | More by poppollutesminds
Hojaminbag

Colorado

1.5/5  rDev -16.2%

I've never written a review of a Stone? How did that happen? Probably because I swore never to drink the stuff again, but here I am, playing some beer pong and drinking Keystone light. Nasty. It really doesn't look too bad though. It has a dirty gold colored body and a bright white head. The head is big, and although it doesn't last long, it does leave a good bit of lacing behind.

This smells like over-ripe fruit. Bananas gone bad. Pretty unappealing.

The taste is actually a little better than the smell. Basically, take the smell of rotting fruit and add a big, corny sweetness. Definitely unpleasant, but the finish has a slight grainy taste that reminds me that there is actually malt in there somewhere, which is why it tastes a little better than it smells.

Mouthfeel is extremely light and highly carbonated. I guess that is what they were going for, so not too bad here.

This stuff is no good. You could probably drink about a million of them if you wanted though.

03-06-2011 16:39:14 | More by Hojaminbag
Floyd12

1.85/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

A- A very pale yellow/straw color, with minimal head that dissipated rapidly. No lacing what so ever. Form a keg there is a more considerable head, but again it does dissipate quickly.

S- A slight grain smell, but very faint.

T- Artificial. It is the flavored water of beers. There is some hint of malt, but not much going on.

M- High carbonation, very light.

D- If you can get past the taste and smell, then this is high. Or if you are drunk on better beer and then switch to this you can easily down many of these.

Its a cheap, crappy, party beer.

03-01-2011 04:39:26 | More by Floyd12
jdspears41

Kentucky

2.78/5  rDev +55.3%

This is one of the best beers for a party. A case of stones (30) is usually around 15 bucks. If you are short on money and want a lot of beer its not a bad buy.

A-Very water-like and a hint of yellow.

S- No smell what so ever.

T-It goes down smooth and doesnt have a bad after taste like some american light beers.

M- Can be very foamy at times and has medium carbonation.

D-Easy to drink a lot of this beer, great tailgate or house party beer, other than that dont waste your time.

02-17-2011 20:06:44 | More by jdspears41
camel92

2.45/5  rDev +36.9%

Keystone Light is the same shade of anemic gold as Natural Light, but it has a lousy looking lid. It's dingy white and looks like some sort of chemical reaction gone awry as it fizzes into nothingness within minutes of the pour. It's been a while since I've seen a worse looking cap on a glass of beer.

Thankfully, very little greets my nose when I put it over the glass. I don't have a preference between these two, even though they don't smell identical. Neither one is grossly offensive, so at least that's something.

Keystone Light might have a smidgen more flavor than its competitor. Then again, maybe it's because I keep drinking it second and the Natty Light flavor is still on my taste buds. Nah, that can't be it. What little flavor Natty Light possesses is classic 'hit and run', 'gone before it ever began' kind of stuff. This beer is a trifle sweeter and is beginning to turn nasty as it warms. Big surprise there.

Since the mouthfeels are essentially identical in terms of heft (as in 'a lack of'), I'll have to use carbonation to distinguish them. They're both lightly fizzy, but this beer is a fraction harsher. Less smooth, one might say.

02-16-2011 07:15:40 | More by camel92
IchabodcraneIpa

2.85/5  rDev +59.2%

This was just drank straight from the can like a true champ.

The smell of this one is a watered down sewer like smell of water mixed with various grains. The taste of this one was not all that bad tasting mostly of h2o and a little grass. It is extremely easy to drink due to it's water like nature. I used to love this beer because to me it tastes slightly like power aid.

02-16-2011 07:14:18 | More by IchabodcraneIpa
SteelerNation

2.68/5  rDev +49.7%

I drank this 90% of the time during college, so even though in reality this beer is truly terrible, every time I drink it I remember college parties and beer pong.

A: Light golden straw macro brew staple with tons of carbonation that dies out instantly and almost no lacing.

S: Faint malt adjunct smell.

T: Hollow hop bitterness and watery grainy malt flavor.

M: Excessively carbonated. Very light.

D: I can drink 10 of these easy.

My favorite light lager. Brings back memories. Still terrible thought.

02-15-2011 18:41:25 | More by SteelerNation
ronniebruner

Arizona

This beer pours a terrible yellowish color. It has the appearance of watered down beer. The taste is so light and unappealing that I could not finish more than two sips. The beer is heavily carbonated and has a horrendously skunky aroma. The head was non existent and thats not a bad thing. I would recommend avoiding.

02-13-2011 20:20:49 | More by ronniebruner