Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Light Alström Bros
dakeynr

2.35/5  rDev +31.3%

Keystone Light is another nearly flavorless pale lager. It has no real distinguishing characteristics, to my palate. Very pale, very little foam, that quickly dissipates to a thin lacing. Very mild malt taste.

Ok, all that said, Keystone Light has its place: it would be a good session beer, as its low abv would allow you to remain on the bar stool, (or out of the backyard fire ring as the case may be). It's a beer you can pound and chug and not regret it...because you don't really care whether you taste it. It's a good Dorm party beer, because the girls will drink it if they have to.

I don't want to sound too overly snobbish here...but the light beers that come out of Coors Brewery that I have tasted are extremely light. It's beer for those who just don't like beer, I'd say, and who don't understand that beer is more complex - well, should be more complex to the palate than wine. I've droned on enough. Summary: I'd drink it again, ice cold, at a party or cook out, but not if there was something - anything - else available...I don't hate this beer, I just personally prefer a much more robust flavor.

08-15-2009 03:45:35 | More by dakeynr
tempest

1.98/5  rDev +10.6%

A friend had this on-tap in his kegerator and I couldn't resist giving this a try. I was also out of Kellerweise. Last time I drank this it was in an unfinished basement in college. This experience, frankly (and thanks to Kuklickx), wasn't terribly different. I found the key to this beer was to taste it as little as possible. Letting sit on my tongue for a split second before gulping left just a cream soda and white bread taste. When I let it linger, it tasted like a chemical spill. It was sharp and acrid with a dirty water background. Stick to chugging, you don't want to taste this.

08-10-2009 03:05:11 | More by tempest
superdedooperboy

Georgia

2.3/5  rDev +28.5%

A friend of mine had purchased a 30-pack of these for the price of dirt. Having never tried it, I asked for a can. Can't ever knock something unless I've tried it.

And now that I've tried it, knock it I will.

12 oz. can with freshness date of October 12 '09 printed on the bottom. Poured into a flared pilsner glass.

As the beer is poured, my first impression becomes: Where's the color? It eventually turns the very palest of straw (z.B. a half-shade above perfectly clear) as the glass fills, giving rise to a huge head of rocky white foam that falls away quickly to nothingness and leaves a lot of nothing in terms of stick.

The lack of definition continues into the nose. Perhaps the faintest whiff of grain, a hint of corn. They're there, but just barely within the threshold of human perception.

Thin and watery on the tongue with a lively carbonation. Flavors are thin and watery as well: I honestly feel like I'm drinking carbonated water that's come from a source other than my faucet, as the flavors are so imperceptible that it's difficult to even relate them in any way to the ingredients in beer. The vaguest hint of grain and hops can be picked out, and this all on an admittedly well-trained palate. Finish is crisp, clean, and watery. No aftertaste lingers. And that's probably a good thing.

It's difficult to understand how anyone could view this as beer, but it passes government regulations for the definition of the product and, unlike water, has 104 calories, 5.0 grams carbohydrates, and 0.7 grams protein, not to mention 4.2% alcohol by volume. Honestly, I can't even really call this drinkable, as there's nothing there to make one want to drink more. When I eat something delicious, I want more; when I drink something delicious, I want more. This I don't even notice as I drink it, so there's nothing there to make me want more. It fails even in the Light Lager category of beer. Absolutely pathetic.

08-03-2009 13:18:32 | More by superdedooperboy
jwc215

Wisconsin

2.13/5  rDev +19%

Freshness date of Oct. 05 09 on bottom.

Pours very clear light straw yellow. It has a pretty sizeable head at first, but it collapses. Not much different than typical lt lager, though even a tad lighter.

It has a hint of grain and cereal - mainly seltzer water.

This tastes like tonic water - actually worse. It has a washed out cereal taste. It's neither sweet nor bitter, it's just "there". Not doing much in taste department. Seriously - a little washed out grain...that's it. Aftertaste is not so pleasant, but not horrible I guess.

This is fizzy nothing.

Tonic water with hint of grain and a hint of alcohol anyone? MAYBE if I were into beer pong...but I'm not...and even then there are better cheap light lagers out there...

07-28-2009 18:42:50 | More by jwc215
utah44

Louisiana

1.83/5  rDev +2.2%

If Keystone Premium is awful, then how can anyone expect the Light version to be any better. This beer is watery and not much else good can be said about it. Others have said it better than I can. Mouthfeel is weak, taste is atrocious, and poured appearance is without obvious merit. Drinkability? You got to be kidding.

07-24-2009 05:39:58 | More by utah44
VictorEHuskie

2.35/5  rDev +31.3%

Yet another offering to the masses of college students. It is a punishment to drink this stuff if there is no party around you. Obviously this beer fulfills its role perfectly. It is meant to be cheap and get you drunk. It does that. Taste is not a factor for those who just want to get drunk on the cheap.

07-19-2009 21:45:13 | More by VictorEHuskie
goblue3509

1.38/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a yellow almost clear color with carbonation very clearly shown. There is almost no head at all. The smell is of corn and that smell is very faint at best. The taste is of barely corn, it is very watery. The mouthfeel is like a pepsi it is very fizzy. Overall you couldn't drink a lot of these, it is filling and watery.

07-17-2009 23:48:41 | More by goblue3509
puboflyons

New Hampshire

2.42/5  rDev +35.2%

From the 24 fl. oz. can marked MAY1709-02352A. Sampled on June 23, 2009.

A - Prettty basic for a macro light. Pale yellow with lively carbonation erupting to a short-lived fizzy, white head. No lacing to speak of.

S - Nothing very extraordinary about it. Some hops but mostly metal and corn.

T/M - The mouthfeel is for the most part watered down and the taste has some weak hops in the background. Really it tases like a macro light, no more or no less.

06-23-2009 22:00:26 | More by puboflyons
colts9016

Idaho

2.85/5  rDev +59.2%

Pour into a pilsner glass at 40 degrees.

Appearance: A frothy foamy white head that lasted a millisecond. Well at least they were right when they wrote the BJCP manual. The color of the beer is a meduim light yellow straw color. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is clear to brilliant.

Nose: A moderate amount of a grain and corn aroma with a very light hop fragrant. There is a light sweetness in the background, probably due to the corn.

Taste: There is a low grain taste with lots of water. There is a very mild hop fragrant to the background of the beer.

Overall: The mouth feel of the beer is dry and lightly carbonated. The body of the beer is water, uh I mean very light. The finish, what finish. Okay my opinion now. It is bang on for what the beer is suppose to be. I think that this beer is good for two things drinking and peeing.

06-18-2009 06:52:49 | More by colts9016
BirdFlu

1.9/5  rDev +6.1%

In the depressing settings where one finds themself left with choices such as keystone light, it may be helpful to reflect upon the path that has led to such dismal circumstances. Beers such as this fall into a category where rating them is sort of a challenge. Essentially, all you can ask is "well, what did you expect?".. it smells like foam, however something can smell like foam I have no idea but the only thing that makes sense in the smell is generic beer foam. I suppose you're really just smelling adjucts. It has the generic adjuct taste of corn or whatever garbage is being used and a thin, watery body. Perhaps you could say there is a slight extra sour/bitter taste that gives it a modest hue of unique character when compared to the other light adjuct lagers from coors et al. Again, the best thing this beer could be used for is a catalyst for reflection upon one's own life choices, because if you are drinking this by choice then you have made some terrible, terrible mistakes.

05-26-2009 13:30:17 | More by BirdFlu
mm546907

Washington

2.4/5  rDev +34.1%

A - Light yellow in color, very transparent. Visible carbonation is there but not the most inviting thing i've ever seen. Since I would mostly just drink this from the can, not much need for the viewing pleasure.

S- Slightly sweet and very grainy in smell. Nothing to catch your nose by surprise.

T- Sweet and pretty grainy in taste. Fairly clean finish, but still flavor is not its high point by any means.

M- Plenty of carbonation going on but very thin. Pretty much the same as carbonated water.

D- While fairly drinkable, you'd expect to see it mainly on a hot afternoon, or a college party. I cant imagine really enjoying more than one of these unless I were shotgunning or beer bonging it.

Although this beer seemed slightly refreshing and had a manageable taste to begin with, As it warms the taste grows more and more burdensome. I think ill leave this one to hunting trips and already drunk college party goers.

05-25-2009 07:53:25 | More by mm546907
therica

Maryland

3.23/5  rDev +80.4%

I can't believe I've gotten into this stuff recently, for my standard "cheap summer swill" beer guzzler. Miller MGD had been the frequent on-stock beer in that category. For a cheapo beer and especially a light beer (104 calories), I'm sorry that few reviewers seem to have much appreciation for it! I'm rating it for what it is-- a cheap macro lager whose purpose is simply an easy to drink beer with meals or just for drinking, and not for uber-max quality.

A= typical weak pale yellow, some foamy head if I pour it (although this is your typical from-the-can beer anyways).

S= fair for the low-end beer category, sweet malts, hints of hops.

T= nice sweet malts, a lot more than most comparable macro lager such as Bud, Coors, Miller etc. Some modest hops flavor and hint of hops bitter.

M= clean, refreshed, with a light sweet malt residue and lingering hints of hops bitters.

D= very drinkable for its intended mass-swill purpose.

05-23-2009 04:42:23 | More by therica
drunkboxer1

In a half-drunken haze I bought 30 of these from Walmart. I thought it was a good deal at the time but on further thought I don't really think so. Having this fine fellow out of a beveled beer mug. It pours flat. It's pale yellow, which is fine by me, but the zero head and no apparent carbonation makes it look kinda gross. It smells shockingly sweet, corny, and of fusel alcohol. The mouthfeel is a bit slick, and corny/grainy flavors wash over the tongue. There's a bit of an after taste that reminds me of putting a penny in my mouth. If this was a malt liquor I'd be a big fan, but at 4.2 percent ABV what am I getting? Thanks a bundle Coors... fuck you by the way.

05-22-2009 23:58:30 | More by drunkboxer1
woodychandler

1.63/5  rDev -8.9%

What CAN I review next? This was another find at my local sixer, but it was not much of a find. It was another fizzy yellow beer with a big white head with low retention. The nose was virtually nonexistent. The mouthfeel was thin and watery without much flavor, either. The finish made me wish that I had some actual beer, rather than the swill that seems to fill cans. Boooring!

05-18-2009 01:56:06 | More by woodychandler
Poormon79

4.25/5  rDev +137.4%

A. Golden yellow color. Decent carbonation. Minimal head

S. Not to bad for a light beer.

T. Has enough beer taste to be noticed as beer, but you go one with a beer taste, another with water.

M. High carbonation. Refreshing finish.

D. At a party drink all you can. At home sit back and enjoy your $14 thirty pack.

Final Thoughts: This is my party beer. For as cheap as it is, a very draikable good beer. Not my typical style but inexpensive and easy to drink. Not to mention, it tastes good. My favorite light beer.

05-09-2009 04:00:28 | More by Poormon79
andrew0790

1.43/5  rDev -20.1%

Just had this beer at a party the other night. I found that I actually couldn't taste it. Opened the can and smelled a little bit of sweetness, and some rice. Poured, there was just some foam that settled within 5 seconds, and left a liquid that appeared close to urine in appearance. The can actually said beer on it, and I'm glad I saw that, because honestly without it, I wouldn't have known.

05-01-2009 04:08:43 | More by andrew0790
sammyadams617

1.1/5  rDev -38.5%

What can you say really? You basically know what you're getting into when you reach for one of these, which is a night of getting hammered. More or less a sorry excuse for a beer, but must admit being in college, and at $14 for a 30 it serves it's purpose. Nothing to enjoy, just something to play beirut with and get drunk.

04-30-2009 02:07:54 | More by sammyadams617
Macdoyal

Vermont

3.18/5  rDev +77.7%

Alrighty,

Appearance: Very light straw yellow. Not much much foam or lacing to speak of which is a big part of the low score.

Smell: Not much here. A little sweetness i might use the word grassy for the sweetness. I smell a trace of metal perhaps from the can and a smell i can't place if i had to describe it i'd say purple.

Taste: Seltzer water like taste. It's like you can taste the carbonation. Small amounts of malt sweetness and hops bitter. Which end clean with no after taste.

Mouthfeel: High Carbonation with a light refreshing finish. Nothing clings to your mouth, no after taste to mention.

Drinkability: High. This is a good beer for it's style. This beer in an ice chest will make your summer days uncomplacated and enjoyable.

Note: I was reminded recently how important it is to review a beer with in it's style to ensure fair and proper scoring.

04-24-2009 02:31:50 | More by Macdoyal
minterro

Colorado

1.83/5  rDev +2.2%

very light and unattractive appearance

you can almost not smell it when u take a whiff

for a very cheap beer its not the worse

way over carbonated, can't stand it for long in my mouth

if there was something else I would drink it. but it is easy to drink.

I'm a college student, no matter how bad this beer adds up to a true beer, it is a great deal for its price. Compared to other cheap light beer this stuff is great. However, not a overall good beer.

04-17-2009 01:14:21 | More by minterro
jbphoto88

2.45/5  rDev +36.9%

Ok, I am all for a macro beer because they serve a purpose. They get rednecks drunk, I cook brats in them and it's nice to take some to the lake and drink while fishing in +100° Texas weather. But this one looks like they didn't even try. The beer is the color of cornsilk and the head is greenish white, crusty and gone like Kaiser Sosie.

I am surprised to smell anything in a beer that is clearer then water with yellow food coloring but there it is. A light grain sent that lingers on the border between corn, rice and actual barley. A slight apple hint mixes with the confusing base grain flavors yielding a poor smelling brew. On the positive side of things at least it smells like beer.

Taste is actually not as horrible as I thought. The beer has the same confusing flavors as the nose. Corn, rice, barley? I don't know but what I do know is don't let it warm. The flavors get downright rancid as it approaches cellar temperatures.

Ice cold is where it's at on this beer. Then it's like drinking a bottle of water after just walking through the desert. I must admit that I do find this beer to be refreshing when cold. It does have a clean crisp feel with a nice bite that I attribute to heavy carbonation rather then hops. Drink this beer only in the shop while looking at a dismantled vehicle. This is shop beer to be drank quick for a light buzz and that's all.

04-15-2009 00:08:42 | More by jbphoto88
climax

Missouri

2.28/5  rDev +27.4%

this mass consumption favorite offers little to the eyes... a clear pale gold straw color with relentless bubbles, the head faded faster than it formed. but on a hot day on the coarse it may not look too bad

nose was clean, though light, it was unoffensive. cereal grains, corn. and faint caramel malt. hints of fruity aromas/banana. i was almost afraid of the carbonation sending crackling bubble assassins up my nostrils...

flavor was clean, an extension of the smell....which really wasn't all that horrible. bananas and caramel are there if you bother to send a search party to extract them

feel was carbonation.... slick and watery

its no surprise that all the categories fall sub-par, but this beer has a purpose and that's to get you pie-faced, and honestly i believe its a better (and cheaper) alternative than bud-light

03-27-2009 05:40:32 | More by climax
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

2.42/5  rDev +35.2%

The lack of things to say is the worst part, it's a clear, light yellow with a slight white-tinge in the middle. plenty of carbonation, mildly crispy look, the "head" never really forms solid, it fizzes out pretty fast. gone. bye.

The aroma is sooo slight, it's hard to detect what's going on...it's s slight rice and corn maltiness, but it's muted, not hearty. I'm not really getting any hop or yeast aroma's but also no seriously gross "off" flavor's like metal.

The feel is crispy and light at first, but damn...don't let it sit around too long or it's just hard to finish, flat and thin.

Avoid if you can.

03-20-2009 20:58:49 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
cwps48

Maryland

2.35/5  rDev +31.3%

Keystone Lite is really just a beer for beer pong. I drink them every so often, just because I typically can't afford anything nicer, and it's not like it hurts to drink it. It's relatively refreshing, lacks most flavor, and has a nice low alcohol content to it.

03-19-2009 23:12:58 | More by cwps48
AdmiralDiaz

1.55/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours an extremely pale body with strong carbonation, small head and no retention and no lacing. Smells and tastes very weak, watery with low malt and small amount of hops and grain. Strong carbonation, but not horribly strong carbonation. Overall Not the worst, but not good or even okay.

03-17-2009 07:45:26 | More by AdmiralDiaz
JesseP09

2.48/5  rDev +38.5%

Let's face it: the only reason anyone (myself included0 drinks this beer is to get sloppy drunk. That being said, the drinkability is pretty damn good because the taste is not necessarily bad but because the taste almost doesn't exist. The beer just goes down nice and easy with no flavor at all. The other aspects are completely unremarkable.

03-05-2009 16:11:05 | More by JesseP09