Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Light Alström Bros
1.9/5  rDev +6.1%

Consumed 9/8/11

Note: Reviewed simultaneously with Coors Light in an effort to figure out if these two beers are actually the same beer with different packaging (and apparently because I enjoy pain)

Appearance: Pours a depressingly pale golden color with a fizzy white head, some lacing - some lacing - looks nearly identical to Coors Light, except for a smaller head

Smell: Carbonated water with some faint, sweet grains - seriously nothing else

Taste: Similarly nonexistent - a slight graininess, some breadiness - some corn - absolutely no bitterness, no interesting flavors, but nothing remarkably bad - the grainy nothingness actually has slightly more flavor than Coors Light - not necessarily a good thing

Mouthfeel: Mostly smooth, but it's mostly just carbonated water - actually less smooth than Coors Light, which must disappoint Keith Stone(TM)

Overall: Not awful, but pretty bad

This is slightly worse than Coors Light, but I'm giving it the same overall score because it's slightly cheaper. If you're going to drink bad beer (WHY?), you might as well punish yourself with this because it's not significantly worse than Coors Light.

angrybabboon, Sep 09, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +106.7%

I was pretty damn stoked when my local Publix started stocking this again. I haven't had it since high school, errr, college. It previously smashed most AALs (except Olympia, Hamm's and Old Milwaukee) in numerous head-to-head challenges (conducted in my apartment), so I wonder if it can hold up to its legacy? First off, the looks: The can is blue with silver and white accents. There are mountains embedded in the graphics, but they don't turn blue, so I cannot tell how cold the beer is. I imagine the beer inside the can is very pale yellow and fizzy, with a soda-like head. Of course, I would not actually pour one of these bad boys into a glass, that would feel like sacrilege. Sniffing around the can, I don't smell much except a faint floral jasmine rice note. The flavor is quite light, offering little more than a generally beery grain impression, light minerals and a hint of the aformentioned floral/rice note. Alcohol and bitterness are not perceived; crispness is. The feel is light, refreshing and has a sparkling mineral water sensibility about it. I still like this beer quite a bit. The best AAL I've had in a while, probably since Blatz.

ktrillionaire, Sep 04, 2011
2.6/5  rDev +45.3%

Light and transparent straw colored lager. Lots of visible bubbles. Pours a short lived soda-like, bubbly head which dissipates in under a second, leaving nothing behind.

Very clean smell, mild bread grains and leafy hop. Nothing spectacular.

Just the mildest hint of malt, barely a tickle of bread grain flavor. Leafy hop touches the tongue and than disappears as if it were never there. Some rice and corn adjuncts but even these flavors are weak. Finishes clean a crisp with zero taste left.

Light as light can be, less dense than water due to the small amount of alcohol. Over carbonated. Average for the style.

This stuff is crap. No flavor or feel. What's the point?

bnes09, Aug 20, 2011
2.1/5  rDev +17.3%

Straw colored, small fading head and lots of bubbles.

Not really any smell, a bit of grain mostly corn.

Taste is really watery, but has a bit of corn sweetness and is very smooth. Body is very light with lots of carbonation. Drinks very easily. Beer pong?

Jerone, Aug 15, 2011
1.93/5  rDev +7.8%

Served in a plastic cup for Beer Pong.

I could not resist. I typically only drink good or at least mediocre beer for beer pong, but I made the exception for both this and Natural Light. I will admit, if I had to drink one of the two, I would drink this again. That is not to say it was even decent. It was simply more than what I was expecting. If I have a choice however, I will never touch the stuff again.

avaldivia, Aug 15, 2011
1.15/5  rDev -35.8%

355 mL can poured into a keith's pint glass

This is probably the palest beer I've ever seen. The 1 finger head lasted maybe 10 seconds, then quickly faded to a faint ring.

The nose is faint, VERY faint grainy corn notes, and that's it.

This beer has a sticky, sweet corn taste that is very unpleasant. The medium to fast carbonation also leaves a terrible lingering stickiness on the pallate. This stuff makes Coor's Light taste like the holy grail of beers...enough said.

aletale, Aug 14, 2011
1.7/5  rDev -5%

A: pale yellow, fizzy white head that doesn't last or leave lacing.

S: corn, sweet, a bit skunky

T: see "smell"

M: fizzy and light.

O: this beer is pretty much just water that happens to get you drunk. if I rated drinkability I would give it a 6 out of 5.

SAxDRC5, Aug 08, 2011
1.2/5  rDev -33%

Pours a clean pale yellow, with a white head. In the aroma, a small sweetness and almost skunky. In the taste, sweet malt and a small hop, but overly watery. A small carbonation like bite and light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dryness in the aftertaste. Standard domestic, thin, watery, and lack of flavor. I wish I could make a joke about Keith Stone, but I cannot.

OWSLEY069, Aug 06, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -0.6%

The watteriest of the value brands. When times are hard, this may be one of your only options. I would recommend a Busch or Natty above this. Zero head forms to trap zero smell and taste. Do not dirty a glass and just drink this from the can... quickly.

BEERME528, Aug 02, 2011
2.8/5  rDev +56.4%

Coors Light's twin. Its all in the packaging....right?? The color is yellow and clear with good carbonation that results in a white foam head that dissapates quickly. Smell and taste are primarily grain with attempted balnace of hops, etc. The beer is easy drinking and light.

WoodBrew, Aug 02, 2011

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, light straw yellow in color, clear, high carbonation

Smell: grass and adjuncts

Taste: light sweet adjuncts, sugars, slight grass and hops

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, watery light bodied,sweet with a touch of bitterness

Overall: This one drinks like a non-alcohol beer with its sweetness. It is actually somewhat surprising that it is 4.2%. Not horrible for the style, but I would certainly choose lots of beers over this.

tigg924, Jul 25, 2011

A: Straw yellow, fizzy white head, ample but short-lived.

S: Smells tinny and adjunct with corn, very little else.

T/M: Tastes like seltzer water tainted with malts. The inevitable sixth beer tastes only like seltzer water.

It is what it is and it gets the job done. The job being inebriation.

TheBeerAlmanac, Jul 25, 2011
1.8/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for bringing this over? I share Cantillon and 3F and this is what he offers up. Some friend. Poured from a can into a tulip. Which makes me laugh.

A: Pale yellow that probably would be clear but we had the can in the freezer so it has a good bit of chill haze and ice chunks floating in it. Small bright white head fades instantly leaving no lace.

S: Super faint pale malt and skunky hops. Good amount of sweet corn and fresh cut grass clippings. The nose is weak and unimpressive.

T: Pretty much flavorless. Just a tiny after taste of sweet corn and a hint of raw malt grain.

M: Light body with biting carbonation.

O: It is what it is. Gatorade for the alcoholic.

beerwolf77, Jul 16, 2011
2.05/5  rDev +14.5%

12 oz can split in a Central Waters tulip (Sorry again Paul...)
Dec2010 on the bottom, no info.

Thanks to who ever brought this to my friends bachelor party where I janked it to review it.

A - Chunks of ice fall like sludge from the Keith Stone can and the glass gets hazy with perspiration. Pale straw yellow with almost no head. Spots of lace adorn the glass.

S - I hate to leave the sentence for smell blank but seriously, this has no aroma. It smells like a glass of water. Then again, it's at the point of freezing...

T - Mild pale malt and very low hops don't amount to much in the flavor.

M - Cold and refreshing, this goes down crisply with a highly carbonated finish. Light-bodied.

O - Besides a complete lack of aroma (yeah, it's ice cold. we did it a favor) it's not a terrible brew. It'll quench a big thirst but it's certainly a recipe for a big hangover.

BeerFMAndy, Jul 09, 2011
1.02/5  rDev -43%

Okay I have a thing where i want to try cheap adjunct lagers even though I know I'll dislike every single one of them, I don't mind paying for craft beers so I'm not sure why I do this...so tonight is Keystone and the ultra cheap Big Flat (which is better).

Poured from a can into a glass, I didn't check for any dates.

This poured a light straw color with a white head. The smell was of corn adjuncts with a slight sweet malt smell. the mouth feel was light (giving light a new meaning), slight carbonation. The taste was of mostly water, a little flavor, some adjuncts no bitterness. Overall this beer was bland boring what ever you would expect, I doubt anyone drank it for the taste, I can honestly say that this is the most water like beer I've ever drank, if I want a cheap buzz I'll stick with Pabst.

Overall I can't think of a more boring beer than this one, at least the bad tasting ones try to achieve something more than just water. I completely hate this lack of attempt at anything except for being "smooth" (which means like water I guess).

DavidST, Jul 09, 2011
2.7/5  rDev +50.8%

16 oz can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Clear very pale copper-straw body with lots of body carbonation. No head.

Smell - Almost none to speak of. The slightest hint of corn ever. One of the weakest scents I've ever had in a beer. Can barely detect anything. Not a bad smell, just no smell. For what it's trying to do, I guess it hit the nail on the head.

Taste - Weak. Water. Corn. Water. More water. No finish. No aftertaste. Almost no body to speak of too. This beer really mastered the art of water-eqsue alcohol. Grading it within the style, I guess it really does its intended job.

Mouthfeel - Water. Only a very slight effervescence. Very slight. Again, this mimics water.

Overall Drinkability - EXCELLENT for what it's supposed to do. But I'm having a conflict of interest simply rating it in style. It would get all 5's that way, and I just think that's shameful. I'll just have to make a blend of the beer rating and the style rating.

ZenAgnostic, Jul 08, 2011
1.78/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a chilled, 12 oz can into a heavy, clear glass mug. In retrospect I probably should have just drank it straight from the can like I used to do, but I was trying to give an objective review.

A - Pale yellow color. Head doesn't linger.

S - Nothing really discernible in the way of aroma that I could tell.

T - Reminds me of Coors Light that didn't quite "make the cut".

M - Mostly watered-down . . . hops? Or perhaps cabbage? Not sure.

Summary - If you're accustomed to savoring fine craft beers, then this light beer will surely disappoint. If you're an impoverished college student looking for a cheap buzz, then a six-pack will suffice quite nicely. This is not a beer to be respected, but rather abused as is evidenced by the way it is sold in bulk (i.e., 30 "Stones" in a box). Then again, there is a place in this world for cheap beer, and this stuff certainly does the job.

Edit: A "D-" is still better than an "F"!

ciocc54, Jul 04, 2011
1.73/5  rDev -3.4%

pours out a clear, watery straw yellow color with a white head that dies off quickly.

Smells are there, and varied but non of them very good. smells of stale bread and grains.

Taste follows the nose of the beer. its flavor is weak and what flavor there is is astringent and not very pleasing to the pallet at all.

Mouthfeel is- carbonated and light.

this beer is easy drinking if you can get past the god-awful notes in the nose and flavor. Other than that it is unimpressive and not even worth a try. Its one high point is price, I guess.

Tundruth, Jul 01, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -14.5%

473ml can
4.0% ABV

Brewed by Molson Breweries in Canada (it says under license but not sure how it could be under license if the same umbrella organization owns both the licensor and licensee)

I tried this beer on May 10, 2011 after purchasing from one of my local LCBO outlets. The beer poured a translucent medium gold colour with almost no head. The aroma was sour grains, and skunk. The mouthfeel was watery with medium carbonation. The flavour was weak grains and an acidic aftertaste.

cyrenaica, Jun 29, 2011
1.9/5  rDev +6.1%

It is a pale yellow with slight fizzy white that dissipates quickly.

Smells of corn and metal - nothing grate here.

Taste corn and grain mingled with metal and a stinging carbonation, finishes dry. Goes down easy, but why bother? This is smooth but unimpressive.

Chickenhawk9932, Jun 28, 2011
1.85/5  rDev +3.4%

Extremely clear and just barely colored slightly yellow. Large fizzy head but it dissipated quite quickly and left little lacing.

Smelled ok, a bit sweet with some corn perhaps.

Taste was reasonably poor, just barely having flavor at all, and what there was had a tiny bit of malt and some notable adjuncts.

Fizzy and light bodied, pretty easy to drink albeit without much actual taste.

Overall I'd recommend it for frat boys on a desert island, but not for craft beer enthusiasts.

AlCaponeJunior, Jun 25, 2011
2.15/5  rDev +20.1%

I just had a Hop Devil and that leaves me with only one more Hop Devil and one Troeg's pale ale, so I decided to save those for another day and steal one of these from my sister.

Poured into a pint glass
A: Possibly the lightest colored beer I have ever seen. This is extremely comparable to slightly dirty water or extremely diluted apple cider vinegar. A rather large head appeared and maybe crisp bubbling noises as it quickly disappeared.

S: Actually pretty tempting. Something sweet like candy with a touch of an adjunct...corn maybe? Maybe a banana like runt

T: Pretty much follows the smell. It is pretty sweet the entire time with some corn flavor. Not awful, but not complex or satisfying.

M: Way too much carbonation in my opinion, and very watery. The Carbonation leaves my mouth and throat tingling and burning.

O: Not a terrible beverage. I like this a lot better than other drinks, just not other beers. It is a shame to be called a beer, but much more delicious than say a Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper, or Pepsi.

jifigz, Jun 22, 2011
1.27/5  rDev -29.1%

I found these 16oz cans in a discount basket at Foremost Liquors in Glendale Heights, IL, for just 50¢ each, so I grabbed a few. No freshness date.

The beer poured a crystal clear pale gold color with tons of carbonation bubbles rising quickly to the surface. Only 1-finger of fizzy white head that lasted all of about 30 seconds. It left no lacing.

Faint grain smell along with something sweet.

There is practically no taste to this beer.

Light, crisp, and flavorless mouthfeel. Somewhat metallic with medium high carbonation.

There is no reason to get this beer at any price.

matjack85, Jun 19, 2011
2.95/5  rDev +64.8%

Trying this out for the first time, if Stone Cold drinks this it should be good, right?

No appearance because i'm drinking straight out of the can.

Smell-smells like your typical piss water frat boy beer.

Taste-if Coors Light and Busch Light had a child this is what it would taste like

Mouthfeel-mostly watered down hops

Overall-This is a good beer to drink if you're out to get drunk or just something to drink after working outside during hot summer months, not the best beer out there but not the worst.

RedSoxFan1983, Jun 18, 2011
1.27/5  rDev -29.1%

I had heard a lot of bad things about Keystone Light, but really wanted to try one for myself to see if the rumors were true. My roommate was what some would call a "bro", so he had a steady supply on hand. One curious night, I steal a can off of him and get to drinking.

It smells like grain and piss. It tastes like pool water in serious need of chlorine. Some have said that drinking Keystone Light is like drinking swamp water. In fairness, if you drink swamp water, you are doing it to survive in the wild. If you pay money to drink Keystone, you do so because you are a desperate fool.

Needless to say, I promptly reimbursed my roommate the 55 cents the can cost and threw the remaining 3/4 down the drain. You deserve better than to expose yourself to this heap of rubbish. That is, if you consider yourself a beer drinker.

leansean88, Jun 15, 2011