Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Light Alström Bros
1.55/5  rDev -13.4%

I figured I had to review this since I have had so much of it, sadly... but hey, I'm in college, it's what's there.

A - Very pale yellow, essentially clear. I would guess it's around 1 on the SRM chart.

S - No hops, no malts, or at least not any good or fresh malts that I recognize. It just smells... stale.

T - Bitter, but not hop bitterness. More metal than malt. Very little taste at all.

M - water. carbonated water.

D - Terrible drinkability. Sure, it is extremely easy to chug, but even still, it leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth and ready to gag. It's only easy to drink because it feels like water and there's essentially no body to it.

It's a party beer. If you are going to drink this, do so only for drinking games or sporting events, and even at sporting events, you can find something better for the same price.

GarrettMD, Jun 25, 2010
2.2/5  rDev +22.9%

A: Very thin looking straw. Very clean, no head.

S: Pretty much nothing that reminds you of beer. Corn, very clean.

T: Very clean again. It's like seltzer water with an artificial crispness.

M: Carbonated water.

O: You can drink a ton of it because it doesn't taste like anything, but I can't imagine you'd enjoy it a whole lot.

bundy462, Jun 22, 2010
1.78/5  rDev -0.6%

Keystone Light is an american macrobrew from the Coors Brewing Company. It is the light version of Keystone brand beer.

Appearance: Light straw yellow. Almost no head formation and no lace retention.

Smell: Very little malt aromas, with no hops detected.

Taste: Some maltiness with little bitterness. Some metallic notes.

Mouthfeel: Light and simple. No hop profile, although good carbonation is detectable.

Drinkability: Typical of an american macro. Good for the beach or hot summer days as simple refreshment.

cervezale, Jun 16, 2010
2.38/5  rDev +33%

Look - Very pale, clear quality. Not surprising considering it's a light lager.

Smell - Pungent, malty smell. Not terribly pleasing

Mouthfeel - Extremely light, but again, not surprising. Water-like feel.

Taste - Almost tasteless. Very bland and open like water. The only "taste" is more olfactory than anything else.

Drinkability - High drinkability. With it's almost non-present smell and taste, this beer could easily be drunk one after another, hence its appeal at college parties.

Nerudamann, Jun 09, 2010
2.53/5  rDev +41.3%

Apperance- Has a very light yellow tint to it

Smell- Has a slight malty smell to it other than that there is little smell to it

Taste- Could be one of the worst tasting beers somehow tastes terrible even with the watery malt taste

Mouthfeel- Goes down smooth cause like I said before is basically water

Drinkability- Taste is very poor, drank at college parties cause of its cheap price other than to get drunk I would not buy this beer

Slygato, Jun 04, 2010

Poured a 24oz can into a frozen mug

Poured a very pale straw color that had a foamy 2 finger head that disspated quickly.
It smelled a little sour. no malt or hops.
Tastes like carbonated water.
Also feels like carbonated water.
Very drinkable but not very enjoyable.

JMad, Jun 03, 2010
2.33/5  rDev +30.2%

Drank 5/27/10
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Pint glass

This was an old staple of my college career that I had left over in my fridge after a few get togethers, so I decided to crack one up and review it in remembrance of my college days.

A - Poured with a decent sized head that faded in about 5 seconds. The beer is a super clear pale yellow, with no lacing at all.

S - Smell is extremely light. Which I guess isn't saying much considering it is a light beer. Has a very slight sweet smell to it.

T - Taste is almost as light as the smell but not quite as much. Very slight sweet malt in the beginning and a slight non-descriptive hop bitterness at the end. Beer has hardly any taste even for a light lager.

M - In the mouth it feels like I am drinking water with slight carbonation at the very end .

D - This would be this beers one redeeming quality. Because it is so light and has so little taste and smell I can drink this like water and keep drinking it.

Krevee, May 28, 2010
2.33/5  rDev +30.2%

im gonna say this much, it gets points on taste because i love water and this is water. drink one dipa after every four keystones and you are golden. this beer is the ramen noodles of beer. i wanted to add something to it to just give it a little flavor. whatever, 75 dollars for 165 of these is a good deal but it lacks all flavor.

beerhan, May 15, 2010
2.08/5  rDev +16.2%

This beer is designed to get you drunk. This is college beer. It's cheap and it's good for huge parties. If you drink this beer because you enjoy it there might be something wrong with you. It is one of the most watery beers on the face of the earth.

As I fill my pilsner glass with the keystone and I notice the head vanishes very fast. I think that is because it is made to be use for drinking games like beer pong or flip cup where the beer head is not desired. The beer is a very faint golden color. It also has no flavorful smell whatsoever. It smells like water and it tastes like water. It feels like water in my mouth. One good thing about this beer is you can drink it and drink it all night because it's basically water.

I am in college and this is one of the most popular beers. I can see why because it's cheap and you can drink it all night. The only reason one should buy this beer is if they want to get a lot of people drunk for a low cost. That is about all it is good for.

eschbach, May 13, 2010
2.23/5  rDev +24.6%

this beer was left at my house after a party (actually about 30 of these were left in my fridge) so i thought i would review one quickly before i break into the rest of my Ranger.

Keystone Light comes in a can that carries the promise, 'always smooth(tm)'. it pours a very pale yellow with a thin fizzy head that dissapates in seconds. it looks like i'm drinking a glass of water with food coloring.

i'm nearly submerging my nose in my glass and i can't smell a thing besides slight grainy husk.

the taste isn't as bad as i expected. there is some pale malty sweetness going on, coupled with a generic cereal lager yeastiness. there might be a dull hop note in there, though that might be more wishful thinking than actual taste.

mouthfeel highly carbonated and watery. it's smooth all right! the best part is that i don't have to cringe to swallow this.

while this isn't something i would normally drink, it's probably much better than other low-tier macro beers. for being Coors Light's little brother (or distant, poorer cousin), i think it has more flavor and is much easier to drink. i almost got through a quarter of the glass before i poured it out. it's just that good.

vdread, May 09, 2010
1.6/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance: VERY pale yellow color. The head is gone in a matter of seconds.

Smell: Really horrible smell. I really can't think of a good analogy for it. Burn corn that is overwhelmed by carbonation.

Taste:Very light. Very little flavor. No real substance to it.

Feel: It feels like water. Plain and Simple.

Drinkability: It really is insulting to even call this a beer. It seems apparent that the main reason people drink this is just to get drunk and because it's cheap. I suppose if getting drunk is your thing then this might be the beer for you. But if you're thinking for a respectable beer, I don't even need to tell you that you should stay away.

joshotron, May 04, 2010
1.95/5  rDev +8.9%

Keystone Light....

Pours a watered down wheat color, with a fizzy starched head.

The smell is awful, which is characteristic of most coor's brews. Don't even wanna talk about this one.

Taste is, well, unimpressive. Tastes like light beer mixed with wood.

Overall impression: the only reason I drink this is because it's ridiculously cheap. Even for the light beer category, this is fairly awful.

AmberMan22, May 01, 2010
1.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance: Extraordinarily pale yellow. A decent amount of foam for about 2 seconds then it goes flat.

Smell: Skunked, a bit like sweat. Lots of gassy carbonation comes out.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Always smooth? As only water can deliver! That's basically what this is, therefore it IS smooth. Tastes like cheap grains as well.

Drinkability: Given the water factor, you can drink a lot of this. Given the sickening gassy feeling in your gut, you cannot.

Overall: Good. Cheap. Party beer. Nothing more.

tjsdomer2, Apr 10, 2010
1.18/5  rDev -34.1%

I didn't know it could get worse than coors light. Apparently... it can. This straw yellow beer smells like burnt corn. It tastes like an earwax flavored soda. Mouthfeel is about as thin as alley mcbeal. I rather drink water than Keystone light. I'm glad I'm out of college.

DNICE555, Apr 04, 2010
2.4/5  rDev +34.1%

The old college standby for most... I actually didn't drink this one as I was a Coors Light man back in the day....

Pours an exceptionally clear very pale yellowish gold with a towering head... This actuallt doesn't look all that bad... Lots of active carbonation and a persistent head...

Very light grainy aroma that has quite a bit of sourness to it.. Maybe a little hop presence... A strange metallic wang rules the day here... Sort of weird smelling...

Very light and rather bland and watery taste and mouthfeel... Its not really offensive so to speak as it really doesn't have a whole lot of flavor to speak of... I could see this being a favorite of the college crowd with its price point and neutral flavors...

Its not terrible at all but the question I ask myself is "Would I choose and drink this over other beers, even other easily available beers?". The answer is probably not... Just not a lot of flavor or endearing qualities... As I said, not terrible, but not something I'll have again more than likely...

Tilley4, Mar 31, 2010
2.4/5  rDev +34.1%

As others have reviewed, doing this for kicks.

A: About as light of a yellow as you can get.

S: A faint, and gross, adjunct smell of rice and corn. That's being generous.

T: Carbonated water with an extremely faint taste of grains, perhaps hops, that's being generous.

M: Light as water.

D: I guess I have to say "good," because it really is like drinking (gross) water. I must admit, would drink this over Bud or BL, and such, but hopefully I will never have to come to that point. If you have a dollar in your pocket...save it, buy a scratch ticket, whatever, don't buy this. Well, unless you are dying of thirst.

mostpoetsdo, Mar 28, 2010
1.88/5  rDev +5%

A - This is a gross yellow color, just like the other macros

S - This actually smells worse than most light beers. I stopped drinking this beer because of the smell

T - The taste is mediocre. It tastes mostly like water, with a bit of bitter hops and some alcohol.

M/D - It is moderately easy to drink one of these, but I don't think I want to.

Bottom Line: Cheap way to get drunk, but I would rather spend 2 or 3 times more per beer and drink 2 or 3 times less beers and just be less drunk than to drink this stuff.

~Cheers

Longhorn22, Mar 09, 2010
2.35/5  rDev +31.3%

This beer is the stereotypical college beer. There are two reasons for that. One of course being that it is a light beer that will go down easy for drinking games like pong or kings. It's also cheep as hell.
The appearance is nothing special a very clear yellow hue with very little head when poured.
The smell is also nothing too amazing. It simply smells a little bitter but the smell is not a significant one to say the least.
Taste is equally unimpressive. Just enough hops in it to call it beer.
You wont lose much from your wallet though!

rhythmguitartz88, Mar 08, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +78.8%

Really reviewing this one just for kicks. This was the college favorite for my circle of friends for two reasons:

A: We didn't know any better.

2: It was $9.99 for a 30 rack.

I wouldn't even define this as sessionable, I'd call it a marathon beer. Beer pong, asshole, kings, whatever drinking game you choose this is the perfect accompaniment. Certainly not going for quality here, though I do feel it surpasses most macros, but if your looking for quantity for the duration this is the way to go.

alli4051, Feb 26, 2010
1.68/5  rDev -6.1%

A - Clear pale yellow with a decent sized white head. Reduces very fast with no real lacing.

S - Almost non-existent. A bit of adjunct malt kind of sweetness.

T - Light malt and adjunct sweetness. Very little hop bitterness. Pretty watery.

M - Light and crisp mouthfeel. Watery.

D - Easy to drink a lot, and if I'm drinking this, everyone is probably going to be drinking a lot. However, the taste doesn't make me want to drink more.

Notes: Pretty much what you expect from a really cheap beer. Like drinking water with a hint of beer.

FreshHawk, Feb 24, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +64.8%

Do not really care for light beers, but I will say this is a little better than a lot of them. Actually, I prefer this to its big brother Coors Light. Seems to have some flavor to it.
Would definitely drink this over Bud Light The worlds worst beer.
Wish I still had a Torpedo IPA left.

rednrag, Feb 23, 2010
2.08/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a 24 ounce can into a pint glass. No head or even carbonation to speak of. Pale clear yellow color. Basically flavorless. If I stretch my palate I can detect a little sweetness from corn and some metalic flavors. Very watery in the mouth. Another mass produced beer to be mass consumed.

mtnbikerpa, Jan 28, 2010
1.88/5  rDev +5%

24 oz can, bought for the price and becuase I've not reviewed this yet. But mostly becuase I only had $2 at the time.

a lemon yellowcolor big foamy haed dissipates like 7 up leaving no lacing at all

s strange antiseptic smell

t dont really know what to say about this really almost tasteless

m foamy, very lite

d non drinkable.

burnerfinger, Jan 26, 2010

"If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I'll deviate from this rule long enough to say that this is probably the worst beer I've ever tasted. It is light yet virtually undrinkable, and after choking one down I actually would have drank a Bud Light to wash the taste out of my mouth. If I urinated into an empty Keystone Light can and put it in the fridge overnight I would have myself a far more drinkable beverage than Keystone Light.

UWagner, Jan 15, 2010

I drank this from the can, when i couldn't get my hands on natty light, how sad is that.

The beer is watery clear gold with not much of head unless you shake the can.

the aroma is all skunk. The taste is the same but has a terrible aftertaste.

The feel is all water and you can't drink a lot of this no matter what.

jrallen34, Dec 30, 2009