Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Light Alström Bros
1.02/5  rDev -43%

Okay I have a thing where i want to try cheap adjunct lagers even though I know I'll dislike every single one of them, I don't mind paying for craft beers so I'm not sure why I do this...so tonight is Keystone and the ultra cheap Big Flat (which is better).

Poured from a can into a glass, I didn't check for any dates.

This poured a light straw color with a white head. The smell was of corn adjuncts with a slight sweet malt smell. the mouth feel was light (giving light a new meaning), slight carbonation. The taste was of mostly water, a little flavor, some adjuncts no bitterness. Overall this beer was bland boring what ever you would expect, I doubt anyone drank it for the taste, I can honestly say that this is the most water like beer I've ever drank, if I want a cheap buzz I'll stick with Pabst.

Overall I can't think of a more boring beer than this one, at least the bad tasting ones try to achieve something more than just water. I completely hate this lack of attempt at anything except for being "smooth" (which means like water I guess).

2.7/5  rDev +50.8%

16 oz can poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Clear very pale copper-straw body with lots of body carbonation. No head.

Smell - Almost none to speak of. The slightest hint of corn ever. One of the weakest scents I've ever had in a beer. Can barely detect anything. Not a bad smell, just no smell. For what it's trying to do, I guess it hit the nail on the head.

Taste - Weak. Water. Corn. Water. More water. No finish. No aftertaste. Almost no body to speak of too. This beer really mastered the art of water-eqsue alcohol. Grading it within the style, I guess it really does its intended job.

Mouthfeel - Water. Only a very slight effervescence. Very slight. Again, this mimics water.

Overall Drinkability - EXCELLENT for what it's supposed to do. But I'm having a conflict of interest simply rating it in style. It would get all 5's that way, and I just think that's shameful. I'll just have to make a blend of the beer rating and the style rating.

1.78/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured from a chilled, 12 oz can into a heavy, clear glass mug. In retrospect I probably should have just drank it straight from the can like I used to do, but I was trying to give an objective review.

A - Pale yellow color. Head doesn't linger.

S - Nothing really discernible in the way of aroma that I could tell.

T - Reminds me of Coors Light that didn't quite "make the cut".

M - Mostly watered-down . . . hops? Or perhaps cabbage? Not sure.

Summary - If you're accustomed to savoring fine craft beers, then this light beer will surely disappoint. If you're an impoverished college student looking for a cheap buzz, then a six-pack will suffice quite nicely. This is not a beer to be respected, but rather abused as is evidenced by the way it is sold in bulk (i.e., 30 "Stones" in a box). Then again, there is a place in this world for cheap beer, and this stuff certainly does the job.

Edit: A "D-" is still better than an "F"!

1.73/5  rDev -3.4%

pours out a clear, watery straw yellow color with a white head that dies off quickly.

Smells are there, and varied but non of them very good. smells of stale bread and grains.

Taste follows the nose of the beer. its flavor is weak and what flavor there is is astringent and not very pleasing to the pallet at all.

Mouthfeel is- carbonated and light.

this beer is easy drinking if you can get past the god-awful notes in the nose and flavor. Other than that it is unimpressive and not even worth a try. Its one high point is price, I guess.

1.53/5  rDev -14.5%

473ml can
4.0% ABV

Brewed by Molson Breweries in Canada (it says under license but not sure how it could be under license if the same umbrella organization owns both the licensor and licensee)

I tried this beer on May 10, 2011 after purchasing from one of my local LCBO outlets. The beer poured a translucent medium gold colour with almost no head. The aroma was sour grains, and skunk. The mouthfeel was watery with medium carbonation. The flavour was weak grains and an acidic aftertaste.

1.9/5  rDev +6.1%

It is a pale yellow with slight fizzy white that dissipates quickly.

Smells of corn and metal - nothing grate here.

Taste corn and grain mingled with metal and a stinging carbonation, finishes dry. Goes down easy, but why bother? This is smooth but unimpressive.

1.85/5  rDev +3.4%

Extremely clear and just barely colored slightly yellow. Large fizzy head but it dissipated quite quickly and left little lacing.

Smelled ok, a bit sweet with some corn perhaps.

Taste was reasonably poor, just barely having flavor at all, and what there was had a tiny bit of malt and some notable adjuncts.

Fizzy and light bodied, pretty easy to drink albeit without much actual taste.

Overall I'd recommend it for frat boys on a desert island, but not for craft beer enthusiasts.

2.15/5  rDev +20.1%

I just had a Hop Devil and that leaves me with only one more Hop Devil and one Troeg's pale ale, so I decided to save those for another day and steal one of these from my sister.

Poured into a pint glass
A: Possibly the lightest colored beer I have ever seen. This is extremely comparable to slightly dirty water or extremely diluted apple cider vinegar. A rather large head appeared and maybe crisp bubbling noises as it quickly disappeared.

S: Actually pretty tempting. Something sweet like candy with a touch of an adjunct...corn maybe? Maybe a banana like runt

T: Pretty much follows the smell. It is pretty sweet the entire time with some corn flavor. Not awful, but not complex or satisfying.

M: Way too much carbonation in my opinion, and very watery. The Carbonation leaves my mouth and throat tingling and burning.

O: Not a terrible beverage. I like this a lot better than other drinks, just not other beers. It is a shame to be called a beer, but much more delicious than say a Coca-Cola, Dr. Pepper, or Pepsi.

1.27/5  rDev -29.1%

I found these 16oz cans in a discount basket at Foremost Liquors in Glendale Heights, IL, for just 50¢ each, so I grabbed a few. No freshness date.

The beer poured a crystal clear pale gold color with tons of carbonation bubbles rising quickly to the surface. Only 1-finger of fizzy white head that lasted all of about 30 seconds. It left no lacing.

Faint grain smell along with something sweet.

There is practically no taste to this beer.

Light, crisp, and flavorless mouthfeel. Somewhat metallic with medium high carbonation.

There is no reason to get this beer at any price.

2.95/5  rDev +64.8%

Trying this out for the first time, if Stone Cold drinks this it should be good, right?

No appearance because i'm drinking straight out of the can.

Smell-smells like your typical piss water frat boy beer.

Taste-if Coors Light and Busch Light had a child this is what it would taste like

Mouthfeel-mostly watered down hops

Overall-This is a good beer to drink if you're out to get drunk or just something to drink after working outside during hot summer months, not the best beer out there but not the worst.

1.27/5  rDev -29.1%

I had heard a lot of bad things about Keystone Light, but really wanted to try one for myself to see if the rumors were true. My roommate was what some would call a "bro", so he had a steady supply on hand. One curious night, I steal a can off of him and get to drinking.

It smells like grain and piss. It tastes like pool water in serious need of chlorine. Some have said that drinking Keystone Light is like drinking swamp water. In fairness, if you drink swamp water, you are doing it to survive in the wild. If you pay money to drink Keystone, you do so because you are a desperate fool.

Needless to say, I promptly reimbursed my roommate the 55 cents the can cost and threw the remaining 3/4 down the drain. You deserve better than to expose yourself to this heap of rubbish. That is, if you consider yourself a beer drinker.

Reviewed from notes: had at a memorial day weekend party.

appearance: straw pale yellow with a 1 finger white head

smell: corn, hay, straw, malts

taste: water

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, thin body,

overall: didn't expect much since it's part of Coors line up of beers. But I tell you this it goes down smooth on a hot summer day. It replaced all my water consumption for the day.

Cheers,
the CPJ

2.03/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale yellow color with a large white head that fades very quickly and leaves a little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light malts, adjuncts and grain with a very faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts with a thin malt and adjunct sweetness followed by some bready grain flavor. The hop presence is very mild even for the style. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, very light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not much flavor, goes down very easily since there isn't much to it and not filling for the same reason, this is one of the lighter of the light beers for whatever that might be worth, overall though it’s not something I would choose right away even amongst the very inexpensive beers.

3.75/5  rDev +109.5%

A) Bright-white head dissapered immediately. The lightest of straw. Crystal clear.

S) Very little smell. Hint of sweetness.

T) I really liked this as a light lager. Very dry, no gross hint of malt sweetness. Very little flavor.

M) Light

O) One light lager that doesn't get much worse as it warms.

2.1/5  rDev +17.3%

Traded my friend Geoffrey a Bud Light Lime for this Keystone Light so I can review it. Haven't had a Keystone for a while so here goes nothing! Poured from a 12oz can into my Budweiser/St. Louis Rams Pint Glass. Has a Best By Date of JUL0411 on the bottom of the can.

Appearance- Pours a 3 finger, frothy head that dies in seconds. Has a crystalized white/golden body with tons of carbonation bubbles. Looks exactly like a glass of Tonic Water would and has no retention. Terrible!

Smell- The smell isn't anything special. Has a grain and light corn smell upfront and also a hint of corn. Not a bad aroma but didn't strike up anything different for a light lager.

Taste- This beer starts off with a light cracker/grainy taste. It is sweet and has a bit of a fruity gum aftertaste. Nothing hints towards a refreshing beer though!

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, Light Viscosity, Thin but Smooth. Leaves a bread taste on the palate afterwards.

Overall- The beer's motto is "Always Smooth" and yes, this is true! But I cannot find myself drinking this beer even on a floating trip! I have a feeling many people buy 18/30 packs of this beer for Beer Pong or binge drinking. True, this would be a perfect beer for this occasion but nothing I will be picking up anytime soon.

1.55/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Pours a huge two finger white head that I can hear fizzing away, and I'm sitting three feet away from it. The head looks nice, it has small bubbles, but it will be gone in seconds, and...now it's gone. Zero lacing on this beer, the body is piss yellow, completely see through, it looks like yellow water. This beer looks awful, but what can I expect, right? The only thing I can say that is ok about the appearance is the moderate carbonation. Sweet malt adjunct on the smell, no hops, there is also a metallic, can smell. No complexity at all here, I'm surprised at how much of an aroma there is, considering how flavorless I know this beer is. Even though there is an aroma, it's not a good one, it's sour, sweet and adjuncty. Wow, thats a bad taste, very sour, and the adjuncts are just through the roof. Frankly all I get out of this beer is adjuncts and carbonation, maybe a tiny bit of malt. That can taste really comes through too, and beats you over the head with grossness. I don't remember this beer being this gross, but wowzers, more flavor than I thought there would be really, bad flavor! I'm considering giving this a 1 for taste, but it's just barely making a 1.5. The mouthfeel is really the only redeeming part of this beer, sure it's thin as all hell, but the carbonation is where it should be. Drinkability is obviously really high, but that's not enough to save this beer. Overall, a bad beer, not the worst beer I've ever had, but it's getting close, probably in the top 5.

Poured from a can into a SA Perfect Pint glass (although I suspect the glassware doesn't matter with this beer).

I've drank about a thousand of these in my younger years before I knew what beer actually was. So I figured I'd owe it to the BA community to offer my professional opinion. Frankly, I find the endless stream of "F" ratings for this beer to be absolutely hilarious, as are the personal comments that accompany the reviews.

A: Pours an extremely pale straw color with a 1-finger fizzy white head, which subsides as fast as it developed.

S: Can't smell a thing. Maybe a generic "cheap beer" aroma? Some sort of alcoholic grains or something? Who knows. Who really cares?

T: Bitter cheap beer taste. I can't really quantify it. Is it corn? Some other type of grain? Is it even fermentable? Wish I knew. Just a terrible, watery, virtually nonexistent flavor. But it does taste sort of bitter, so maybe that's something.

M: Fizzy carbonation, not much else. Pretty dry, I guess.

O: I'm assuming the kitchen sink appreciated this more than I did, as this stuff hit the drain after 3 sips. I'm sorry, but I just couldn't tolerate any more.

Final remarks: Unless you're short on cash or want to pound down a case or two of weak beer, avoid this at all costs. Good enough for inexperienced college kids looking for a cheap buzz, but really not much else. But I just had to give this 1.0's across the board, as there really aren't any redeeming beer-like qualities here.

Honestly, if you're looking for a cheap beer that actually resembles a real beer, try a Stroh's in the blue can. At least with that one you know you're not just drinking bad-tasting water.

I'll try to review this beer with it's style in mind. Yellow fizzy pour in my Pilsner glass. Good deal of carbonation. Basically no smell whatsoever. Taste is a slight corn flavor. Not much going on here. We all know this ain't no craft beer. It is drinkable and priced right. Made for parties and guzzling. It's Coors light in a different can.

1.15/5  rDev -35.8%

I am not sure that I have ever poured, smelled, tasted, or suffered through a beer with less beerness than this beer.

The body is light with a some what sharp carbonation that is to high. There is no aroma and no flavor, until the beer begins to warm and then you are greeted with a flavor that should have been kept hidden.

I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

1.83/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a quickly dispersing head. Color is a clear yellow. Smell is a bit off-putting. It almost seems a bit chemically, rather than something you'd expect from a lager.

First sip doesn't really have much too it. There is a level of carbonation, but the body just isn't there. It really is lacking in flavor and character, that much is very clear. And even in terms of light beers, it's just not there. Even a Bud Light or PBR would have some kind of flavor profile to grasp onto. But this, this just doesn't have anything. No malt, no hop, no nothing.

Although, I will say that it is carbonated. And slightly alcoholic. Blegh.

2.48/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

24oz can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It pours a pale, straw yellow. Three inches of white head.

S - The aroma is grainy with some lemon grass.

T - Light grainy notes. No discernible hops.

M - Watery mouthfeel

O - I didn't make a bitter beer face.

1.88/5  rDev +5%

12 oz can, straight out of the can. Pretty much tastes like flavored water. At least it isn't quite as objectionable as Coors Light, which is probably just a slightly different recipe. Another great use for America's corn: Keystone Light. Have it with some chips and there's some more corn down. Slightly more corn to go. We used to shotgun this beer, so I guess you could say it is highly drinkable. It also works well in beer bongs, much better than, say, Dark Lord. Enough said--avoid unless it's free and you're thirsty.

1.88/5  rDev +5%

355 ml can.
Leftover in a fridge, figured I would try one instead of the normal Coors Light that was offered.

Pours a very pale yellow, fizzy white head, no retention. Nose is astrigent, grain and corn. Taste is watery, almost no flavour besides the grain. Weak and light mouthfeel, fizzy. Overall a terribly cheap beer, made with nothing valuable besides water which it almost resembles. Terrible.

1.05/5  rDev -41.3%

Quite possibly the saddest attempt of a beer I've ever had. Really poor quality, I know guys who still drink this willingly and it makes me wanna rip my hair out. It's almost crystal clear in color, no flavor besides maybe a slight hint of barley. This is not a beer to sit back and enjoy it's more like something that your going to chug at a kegger in college and puke up a few hours later.

1.5/5  rDev -16.2%

Why would I review such an unprestigous beer? I went to college. Looks, smells, and tastes like water. Only valuable to those on a budget. Was a nostalgic trip down memory lane. Please do NOT buy this beer unless you plan to ignore taste and quality and shoot straight for imbibing alcohol.

Keystone Light from Coors Brewing Company