Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Light Alström Bros
2.88/5  rDev +60.9%

Pours a pale golden yellow with 1/2" of loose, bubbly, soap-like head with little retention. The smell is grainy, primarily corn. The taste is corn and grains, a little sweet, and finishes with very faint grassy hops. The mouthfeel is very light with moderate carbonation.

Overall, it's rather nondescript, but it's unoffensive. The good news is there's no metallic off flavors that are so prevalent among macros.

1.15/5  rDev -35.8%

Appearance - Watered-down apple juice, or perhaps just tainted water. Looks to be about 1 part urine and 9 parts water. Keith Stone. Always water. Always.

Smell - Non-existent. Light lager-like malt if searched for. Dirty dish water.

Taste - For the people defending this and saying, "Review it for what it is!" . . . I AM reviewing it for what it is. Compared to Bud, Miller, and even Coors light; this is just downright the worst. Water sprayed with lemon pledge.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - I'll admit it's smooth. But it tastes abysmal. Unfortunately I have eight more of these to drink.

2.14/5  rDev +19.6%

Appearance- An impressive two and a half finger puffy head.It does die exceedingly fast, not even leaving lace or any film. There are furious bubbles in the hay colored glass.

Smell- Wow, stale corn, band-aid, cooked rice, and a general adjunct funk. Not appealing.

Taste: The taste is not as bad as the smell, probably because it does not taste like much of anything. There is some rice, a little bit of grassy hops and some adjunct bitterness in the finish. Most definitely it tastes watered down.

Mouth feel- It is very light and bubbly. It is not much different than water in this respect.

Overall- The really offender of this adjunct light is the smell. If you have the wits about you to hold your nose while taking a drink, consider it. Otherwise it is a typical adjunct light beer.

1.72/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Water with a slight beer flavoring. It has no head and no lacing and only a slight aroma of rice. It's a beer best kept for college students who do not have to money to buy anything else. It has no characteristics of a real beer. I'm using it to cleanse my palate in between reviews of more worthy beers.

1.13/5  rDev -36.9%

i was looking forward to enjoying a nice delicious beer but unfortunately this was the only beer my room mate had. after taking the first sip i could already tell how bad it was. throughout the entire beer, it tasted like an ass of a cheap beer (example: budweiser and busch). i recommend staying away from this beer at all cost.

3.68/5  rDev +105.6%

A- One inch white fluffy head on a dark pale beer. Low head retention and no lacing.

S- Smells of light bread and not much else.

T- Pale malts with just enough hops to balance it out. Slight sweet aftertaste but not overpowering at all. Refreshing.

M- Medium to medium-thin mouthfeel. Good carbonation.

D/O: Reviewed to style. Here it is, review #400. "If you're drinking light beer it isn't for the taste...Keystone Light has the least amount of taste in a Light beer...therefore Keystone Light is the best Light beer." I've said this, over and over defending my late teen/early twenties go-to. This is the beer that tastes most like water, great for drinking all day, preferably in the summer sun.

2.33/5  rDev +30.2%

473ml Can

Appearance – Clear yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is a lot of carbonation and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 3 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, bread, malts, corn

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation and it comes across as thin/light/watery. I can taste lots of corn mixed with light malts and some grains. There is also a bit of a apple juice sweetness. Kind of along the lines of a bud light. It finishes with a grainy apple juice and corn syrup sweet aftertaste.

Overall – I guess you get what you pay for. Its very very light tasting. (and looking) I guess if you were trying to drink all day long, this beer would work nicely - it's very watery.

1.77/5  rDev -1.1%

By no means a good beer, but a pretty popular beer in the college atmosphere. They make the price dirt cheap that is why everyone gets it but it doesn't mean they like it. It may be a better beer when you compare it to the other cheap beers.
It pours a pale yellow color, not very heavy at all nor does it have a good taste. Has a bad after taste and gives me headaches the next day.

2.97/5  rDev +65.9%

First off, this is what it is. Keystone light is a cheap brew for people who A. want a cheap buzz B. Don't want to spend much on beer C. both. I happen to occasionally fall into the C category. I normally find the 18 pack on sale at my local store for 9 bucks, so trying to compare a 50 cent beer to one costing $1-$2 really isn't a fair comparison. For what it is, it's really not a bad choice.

Color is rather pale with a head that will dissolve rather quickly, even with an aggressive pour. Not a lot of smell to it, maybe a little bit of corn mixed with a carbonation odor. Taste is crisp, with a little corn and a hint of what reminds me of apple peel. Overall taste is weak and highly carbonated, with nothing standing out be it good or bad.

I'm convinced that for the low end light beers, Keystone Light is a solid choice. It's Coors Light's little brother.

1.75/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a clear straw yellow color with a thin fizzy white head.

There is a very faint scent of grain.

The taste is a little skunky, notes of corn and grain, very watery.

Light body, crisp and very thin, high carbonation.

I didn't enjoy this beer at all, it really has nothing to offer.

1.88/5  rDev +5%

Consumed 9/8/11

Note: Reviewed simultaneously with Coors Light in an effort to figure out if these two beers are actually the same beer with different packaging (and apparently because I enjoy pain)

Appearance: Pours a depressingly pale golden color with a fizzy white head, some lacing - some lacing - looks nearly identical to Coors Light, except for a smaller head

Smell: Carbonated water with some faint, sweet grains - seriously nothing else

Taste: Similarly nonexistent - a slight graininess, some breadiness - some corn - absolutely no bitterness, no interesting flavors, but nothing remarkably bad - the grainy nothingness actually has slightly more flavor than Coors Light - not necessarily a good thing

Mouthfeel: Mostly smooth, but it's mostly just carbonated water - actually less smooth than Coors Light, which must disappoint Keith Stone(TM)

Overall: Not awful, but pretty bad

This is slightly worse than Coors Light, but I'm giving it the same overall score because it's slightly cheaper. If you're going to drink bad beer (WHY?), you might as well punish yourself with this because it's not significantly worse than Coors Light.

3.65/5  rDev +103.9%

I was pretty damn stoked when my local Publix started stocking this again. I haven't had it since high school, errr, college. It previously smashed most AALs (except Olympia, Hamm's and Old Milwaukee) in numerous head-to-head challenges (conducted in my apartment), so I wonder if it can hold up to its legacy? First off, the looks: The can is blue with silver and white accents. There are mountains embedded in the graphics, but they don't turn blue, so I cannot tell how cold the beer is. I imagine the beer inside the can is very pale yellow and fizzy, with a soda-like head. Of course, I would not actually pour one of these bad boys into a glass, that would feel like sacrilege. Sniffing around the can, I don't smell much except a faint floral jasmine rice note. The flavor is quite light, offering little more than a generally beery grain impression, light minerals and a hint of the aformentioned floral/rice note. Alcohol and bitterness are not perceived; crispness is. The feel is light, refreshing and has a sparkling mineral water sensibility about it. I still like this beer quite a bit. The best AAL I've had in a while, probably since Blatz.

2.61/5  rDev +45.8%

Light and transparent straw colored lager. Lots of visible bubbles. Pours a short lived soda-like, bubbly head which dissipates in under a second, leaving nothing behind.

Very clean smell, mild bread grains and leafy hop. Nothing spectacular.

Just the mildest hint of malt, barely a tickle of bread grain flavor. Leafy hop touches the tongue and than disappears as if it were never there. Some rice and corn adjuncts but even these flavors are weak. Finishes clean a crisp with zero taste left.

Light as light can be, less dense than water due to the small amount of alcohol. Over carbonated. Average for the style.

This stuff is crap. No flavor or feel. What's the point?

2.1/5  rDev +17.3%

Straw colored, small fading head and lots of bubbles.

Not really any smell, a bit of grain mostly corn.

Taste is really watery, but has a bit of corn sweetness and is very smooth. Body is very light with lots of carbonation. Drinks very easily. Beer pong?

1.92/5  rDev +7.3%

Served in a plastic cup for Beer Pong.

I could not resist. I typically only drink good or at least mediocre beer for beer pong, but I made the exception for both this and Natural Light. I will admit, if I had to drink one of the two, I would drink this again. That is not to say it was even decent. It was simply more than what I was expecting. If I have a choice however, I will never touch the stuff again.

1.17/5  rDev -34.6%

355 mL can poured into a keith's pint glass

This is probably the palest beer I've ever seen. The 1 finger head lasted maybe 10 seconds, then quickly faded to a faint ring.

The nose is faint, VERY faint grainy corn notes, and that's it.

This beer has a sticky, sweet corn taste that is very unpleasant. The medium to fast carbonation also leaves a terrible lingering stickiness on the pallate. This stuff makes Coor's Light taste like the holy grail of beers...enough said.

1.71/5  rDev -4.5%

A: pale yellow, fizzy white head that doesn't last or leave lacing.

S: corn, sweet, a bit skunky

T: see "smell"

M: fizzy and light.

O: this beer is pretty much just water that happens to get you drunk. if I rated drinkability I would give it a 6 out of 5.

1.23/5  rDev -31.3%

Pours a clean pale yellow, with a white head. In the aroma, a small sweetness and almost skunky. In the taste, sweet malt and a small hop, but overly watery. A small carbonation like bite and light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dryness in the aftertaste. Standard domestic, thin, watery, and lack of flavor. I wish I could make a joke about Keith Stone, but I cannot.

1.75/5  rDev -2.2%

The watteriest of the value brands. When times are hard, this may be one of your only options. I would recommend a Busch or Natty above this. Zero head forms to trap zero smell and taste. Do not dirty a glass and just drink this from the can... quickly.

2.76/5  rDev +54.2%

Coors Light's twin. Its all in the packaging....right?? The color is yellow and clear with good carbonation that results in a white foam head that dissapates quickly. Smell and taste are primarily grain with attempted balnace of hops, etc. The beer is easy drinking and light.

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, light straw yellow in color, clear, high carbonation

Smell: grass and adjuncts

Taste: light sweet adjuncts, sugars, slight grass and hops

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, watery light bodied,sweet with a touch of bitterness

Overall: This one drinks like a non-alcohol beer with its sweetness. It is actually somewhat surprising that it is 4.2%. Not horrible for the style, but I would certainly choose lots of beers over this.

A: Straw yellow, fizzy white head, ample but short-lived.

S: Smells tinny and adjunct with corn, very little else.

T/M: Tastes like seltzer water tainted with malts. The inevitable sixth beer tastes only like seltzer water.

It is what it is and it gets the job done. The job being inebriation.

1.82/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for bringing this over? I share Cantillon and 3F and this is what he offers up. Some friend. Poured from a can into a tulip. Which makes me laugh.

A: Pale yellow that probably would be clear but we had the can in the freezer so it has a good bit of chill haze and ice chunks floating in it. Small bright white head fades instantly leaving no lace.

S: Super faint pale malt and skunky hops. Good amount of sweet corn and fresh cut grass clippings. The nose is weak and unimpressive.

T: Pretty much flavorless. Just a tiny after taste of sweet corn and a hint of raw malt grain.

M: Light body with biting carbonation.

O: It is what it is. Gatorade for the alcoholic.

2.01/5  rDev +12.3%

12 oz can split in a Central Waters tulip (Sorry again Paul...)
Dec2010 on the bottom, no info.

Thanks to who ever brought this to my friends bachelor party where I janked it to review it.

A - Chunks of ice fall like sludge from the Keith Stone can and the glass gets hazy with perspiration. Pale straw yellow with almost no head. Spots of lace adorn the glass.

S - I hate to leave the sentence for smell blank but seriously, this has no aroma. It smells like a glass of water. Then again, it's at the point of freezing...

T - Mild pale malt and very low hops don't amount to much in the flavor.

M - Cold and refreshing, this goes down crisply with a highly carbonated finish. Light-bodied.

O - Besides a complete lack of aroma (yeah, it's ice cold. we did it a favor) it's not a terrible brew. It'll quench a big thirst but it's certainly a recipe for a big hangover.

1.03/5  rDev -42.5%

Okay I have a thing where i want to try cheap adjunct lagers even though I know I'll dislike every single one of them, I don't mind paying for craft beers so I'm not sure why I do this...so tonight is Keystone and the ultra cheap Big Flat (which is better).

Poured from a can into a glass, I didn't check for any dates.

This poured a light straw color with a white head. The smell was of corn adjuncts with a slight sweet malt smell. the mouth feel was light (giving light a new meaning), slight carbonation. The taste was of mostly water, a little flavor, some adjuncts no bitterness. Overall this beer was bland boring what ever you would expect, I doubt anyone drank it for the taste, I can honestly say that this is the most water like beer I've ever drank, if I want a cheap buzz I'll stick with Pabst.

Overall I can't think of a more boring beer than this one, at least the bad tasting ones try to achieve something more than just water. I completely hate this lack of attempt at anything except for being "smooth" (which means like water I guess).

Keystone Light from Coors Brewing Company