Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Light Alström Bros
1.55/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Pours a huge two finger white head that I can hear fizzing away, and I'm sitting three feet away from it. The head looks nice, it has small bubbles, but it will be gone in seconds, and...now it's gone. Zero lacing on this beer, the body is piss yellow, completely see through, it looks like yellow water. This beer looks awful, but what can I expect, right? The only thing I can say that is ok about the appearance is the moderate carbonation. Sweet malt adjunct on the smell, no hops, there is also a metallic, can smell. No complexity at all here, I'm surprised at how much of an aroma there is, considering how flavorless I know this beer is. Even though there is an aroma, it's not a good one, it's sour, sweet and adjuncty. Wow, thats a bad taste, very sour, and the adjuncts are just through the roof. Frankly all I get out of this beer is adjuncts and carbonation, maybe a tiny bit of malt. That can taste really comes through too, and beats you over the head with grossness. I don't remember this beer being this gross, but wowzers, more flavor than I thought there would be really, bad flavor! I'm considering giving this a 1 for taste, but it's just barely making a 1.5. The mouthfeel is really the only redeeming part of this beer, sure it's thin as all hell, but the carbonation is where it should be. Drinkability is obviously really high, but that's not enough to save this beer. Overall, a bad beer, not the worst beer I've ever had, but it's getting close, probably in the top 5.

Poured from a can into a SA Perfect Pint glass (although I suspect the glassware doesn't matter with this beer).

I've drank about a thousand of these in my younger years before I knew what beer actually was. So I figured I'd owe it to the BA community to offer my professional opinion. Frankly, I find the endless stream of "F" ratings for this beer to be absolutely hilarious, as are the personal comments that accompany the reviews.

A: Pours an extremely pale straw color with a 1-finger fizzy white head, which subsides as fast as it developed.

S: Can't smell a thing. Maybe a generic "cheap beer" aroma? Some sort of alcoholic grains or something? Who knows. Who really cares?

T: Bitter cheap beer taste. I can't really quantify it. Is it corn? Some other type of grain? Is it even fermentable? Wish I knew. Just a terrible, watery, virtually nonexistent flavor. But it does taste sort of bitter, so maybe that's something.

M: Fizzy carbonation, not much else. Pretty dry, I guess.

O: I'm assuming the kitchen sink appreciated this more than I did, as this stuff hit the drain after 3 sips. I'm sorry, but I just couldn't tolerate any more.

Final remarks: Unless you're short on cash or want to pound down a case or two of weak beer, avoid this at all costs. Good enough for inexperienced college kids looking for a cheap buzz, but really not much else. But I just had to give this 1.0's across the board, as there really aren't any redeeming beer-like qualities here.

Honestly, if you're looking for a cheap beer that actually resembles a real beer, try a Stroh's in the blue can. At least with that one you know you're not just drinking bad-tasting water.

I'll try to review this beer with it's style in mind. Yellow fizzy pour in my Pilsner glass. Good deal of carbonation. Basically no smell whatsoever. Taste is a slight corn flavor. Not much going on here. We all know this ain't no craft beer. It is drinkable and priced right. Made for parties and guzzling. It's Coors light in a different can.

1.15/5  rDev -35.8%

I am not sure that I have ever poured, smelled, tasted, or suffered through a beer with less beerness than this beer.

The body is light with a some what sharp carbonation that is to high. There is no aroma and no flavor, until the beer begins to warm and then you are greeted with a flavor that should have been kept hidden.

I would not recommend this beer to anyone.

1.83/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a quickly dispersing head. Color is a clear yellow. Smell is a bit off-putting. It almost seems a bit chemically, rather than something you'd expect from a lager.

First sip doesn't really have much too it. There is a level of carbonation, but the body just isn't there. It really is lacking in flavor and character, that much is very clear. And even in terms of light beers, it's just not there. Even a Bud Light or PBR would have some kind of flavor profile to grasp onto. But this, this just doesn't have anything. No malt, no hop, no nothing.

Although, I will say that it is carbonated. And slightly alcoholic. Blegh.

2.48/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

24oz can
Served in a pilsner glass

A - It pours a pale, straw yellow. Three inches of white head.

S - The aroma is grainy with some lemon grass.

T - Light grainy notes. No discernible hops.

M - Watery mouthfeel

O - I didn't make a bitter beer face.

1.88/5  rDev +5%

12 oz can, straight out of the can. Pretty much tastes like flavored water. At least it isn't quite as objectionable as Coors Light, which is probably just a slightly different recipe. Another great use for America's corn: Keystone Light. Have it with some chips and there's some more corn down. Slightly more corn to go. We used to shotgun this beer, so I guess you could say it is highly drinkable. It also works well in beer bongs, much better than, say, Dark Lord. Enough said--avoid unless it's free and you're thirsty.

1.88/5  rDev +5%

355 ml can.
Leftover in a fridge, figured I would try one instead of the normal Coors Light that was offered.

Pours a very pale yellow, fizzy white head, no retention. Nose is astrigent, grain and corn. Taste is watery, almost no flavour besides the grain. Weak and light mouthfeel, fizzy. Overall a terribly cheap beer, made with nothing valuable besides water which it almost resembles. Terrible.

1.05/5  rDev -41.3%

Quite possibly the saddest attempt of a beer I've ever had. Really poor quality, I know guys who still drink this willingly and it makes me wanna rip my hair out. It's almost crystal clear in color, no flavor besides maybe a slight hint of barley. This is not a beer to sit back and enjoy it's more like something that your going to chug at a kegger in college and puke up a few hours later.

1.5/5  rDev -16.2%

Why would I review such an unprestigous beer? I went to college. Looks, smells, and tastes like water. Only valuable to those on a budget. Was a nostalgic trip down memory lane. Please do NOT buy this beer unless you plan to ignore taste and quality and shoot straight for imbibing alcohol.

1.5/5  rDev -16.2%

I've never written a review of a Stone? How did that happen? Probably because I swore never to drink the stuff again, but here I am, playing some beer pong and drinking Keystone light. Nasty. It really doesn't look too bad though. It has a dirty gold colored body and a bright white head. The head is big, and although it doesn't last long, it does leave a good bit of lacing behind.

This smells like over-ripe fruit. Bananas gone bad. Pretty unappealing.

The taste is actually a little better than the smell. Basically, take the smell of rotting fruit and add a big, corny sweetness. Definitely unpleasant, but the finish has a slight grainy taste that reminds me that there is actually malt in there somewhere, which is why it tastes a little better than it smells.

Mouthfeel is extremely light and highly carbonated. I guess that is what they were going for, so not too bad here.

This stuff is no good. You could probably drink about a million of them if you wanted though.

1.85/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

A- A very pale yellow/straw color, with minimal head that dissipated rapidly. No lacing what so ever. Form a keg there is a more considerable head, but again it does dissipate quickly.

S- A slight grain smell, but very faint.

T- Artificial. It is the flavored water of beers. There is some hint of malt, but not much going on.

M- High carbonation, very light.

D- If you can get past the taste and smell, then this is high. Or if you are drunk on better beer and then switch to this you can easily down many of these.

Its a cheap, crappy, party beer.

2.78/5  rDev +55.3%

This is one of the best beers for a party. A case of stones (30) is usually around 15 bucks. If you are short on money and want a lot of beer its not a bad buy.

A-Very water-like and a hint of yellow.

S- No smell what so ever.

T-It goes down smooth and doesnt have a bad after taste like some american light beers.

M- Can be very foamy at times and has medium carbonation.

D-Easy to drink a lot of this beer, great tailgate or house party beer, other than that dont waste your time.

2.45/5  rDev +36.9%

Keystone Light is the same shade of anemic gold as Natural Light, but it has a lousy looking lid. It's dingy white and looks like some sort of chemical reaction gone awry as it fizzes into nothingness within minutes of the pour. It's been a while since I've seen a worse looking cap on a glass of beer.

Thankfully, very little greets my nose when I put it over the glass. I don't have a preference between these two, even though they don't smell identical. Neither one is grossly offensive, so at least that's something.

Keystone Light might have a smidgen more flavor than its competitor. Then again, maybe it's because I keep drinking it second and the Natty Light flavor is still on my taste buds. Nah, that can't be it. What little flavor Natty Light possesses is classic 'hit and run', 'gone before it ever began' kind of stuff. This beer is a trifle sweeter and is beginning to turn nasty as it warms. Big surprise there.

Since the mouthfeels are essentially identical in terms of heft (as in 'a lack of'), I'll have to use carbonation to distinguish them. They're both lightly fizzy, but this beer is a fraction harsher. Less smooth, one might say.

2.85/5  rDev +59.2%

This was just drank straight from the can like a true champ.

The smell of this one is a watered down sewer like smell of water mixed with various grains. The taste of this one was not all that bad tasting mostly of h2o and a little grass. It is extremely easy to drink due to it's water like nature. I used to love this beer because to me it tastes slightly like power aid.

2.68/5  rDev +49.7%

I drank this 90% of the time during college, so even though in reality this beer is truly terrible, every time I drink it I remember college parties and beer pong.

A: Light golden straw macro brew staple with tons of carbonation that dies out instantly and almost no lacing.

S: Faint malt adjunct smell.

T: Hollow hop bitterness and watery grainy malt flavor.

M: Excessively carbonated. Very light.

D: I can drink 10 of these easy.

My favorite light lager. Brings back memories. Still terrible thought.

This beer pours a terrible yellowish color. It has the appearance of watered down beer. The taste is so light and unappealing that I could not finish more than two sips. The beer is heavily carbonated and has a horrendously skunky aroma. The head was non existent and thats not a bad thing. I would recommend avoiding.

The number of cans of this beer I have had numbers in the thousands. I will never drink another single beer more in my life than this one. For that reason, they must be doing something right and I have to give it a 4.0. This is a legend of a beer that will be around colleges for a very long time.

2.03/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is kinda malty, very slight hop note, grainy. The taste is kinda malty, kinda sweet, ricy. Light Body. Not Drinkable, another disappointment beer.

3.05/5  rDev +70.4%

Poured into a New Belgium snifter

A - Straw coloring, snow white head and no lacing

S - Apple, flowers, crystal malt and a bit of yeast

T - Taste exactly like it smells, but watered down

M - Nothing, it's like sparkling slightly beer flavored water

D - Goes down like water, you can definitely pound this beer

Final thought - This beer is only for when you have no beer money, want to watch your figure and don't want to get smashed but be able to drink all day

2.17/5  rDev +21.2%

After finishing the beer I brought, all that was let was a keg of this.

A: Clear straw/yellow color, a little head which dissipated to a layer of small bubbles on top. Not much lacing.

S: Not a ton going on here. A little musty, but get a little grain and some corn.

T: Tasted almost like watered down apple juice. Not much flavor at all.

M/D: Very light, somewhat high carbonation. Overall, it is, what it is. Cheap light beer. Honestly, from what the keg prices were I don't blame them for getting this over the other less than stellar options.

3.73/5  rDev +108.4%

Keystone Light has a very thick, white (and, quickly-receding) head, and a clear, light straw appearance. Carbonation is moderate to high. The aroma is of sweet grains, and the taste is likewise of sweetness, with just a shade of hop bitterness at the end of the sip. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Keystone Light finishes refreshing, crisp, and dry. Overall, this is an okay light beer. It certainly holds its own against higher-priced light lagers.

RJT

1.65/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pumped from a keg at a party...eh why not??

A- Pours a clear light yellow color. Two finger white head that sticks around for a little bit. Streaks of lace that turn to web style lace as I drink this down.

S- The aroma on this is very muted. Some light sweet corn in most of the nose is covered by a large metallic overtone. Some light stale alcohol in the ending which turns a little sweet with a hint of must.

T- Carbonated water with a hint of sweet corn at best. There is a ton of metallic flavoring as well with a touch of sweet alcohol on the tail end. Very muted in the flavor. More so than the aroma.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is high but normal for the style. Sweet grains and metal are left on the palate. Aftertaste is much the same with a hint of alcohol. Flavors are very bland so I would say it's balanced for what it is suppose to be. The metallic taste is the only off flavor but it is there all the beer. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This is not bad but I don't like the flavor or lack there of at times. Low ABV means I could pound this all night. Not that I would really want to.

1.53/5  rDev -14.5%

A- water and piss. Diluted pale yellow, almost clear. Fizzy head that fades fast and leaves no lace to speak of.

S- Don't try to smell too hard or you will snort it up your nose. Water, metal, corn and musty sweat.

T- Water, grain and corn, metalic notes and something musty. Pretty gross.

M- Fizzy water

D- Like water with metallic tones. Nasty stuff.

1.58/5  rDev -11.7%

Seriously. The bottled beer taste in a can, except this time, it was in a bottle. Crazy. Looks like water and human liquid waste product, together at last. Head and lace are as absent as any color other than diluted yellow. Should I give it points for clarity? No. Less clarity would be something to hope for actually.

Aroma is that industrial commerce type of smell of sterility and band aids. Vegetable and corn water tasting. Kind of has an assy bitter taste to it for supposedly not being that kind of beer.

This beer is not intended for consumption by anyone 21 years or OVER.

Keystone Light from Coors Brewing Company