Keystone Light - Coors Brewing Company

awful

Coors Brewing Company visit their website
Colorado, United States

Light Lager |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Keystone Light Alström Bros
2.2/5  rDev +22.9%

I've been seeing billboards for this stuff all over town so I had to give it a try to see what all the fuss is about. Can't say much in favor of my experience other than it was indeed pretty light which I guess was their goal. No smell, taste or mouthfeel to speak of, all very bland and generic. Drinkability was ok because I might as well have been drinking water.

merryjoulton, Oct 18, 2009

I poured this from a 16 ounce can into a pint glass. It is a clear pale yellow with a white fizzy head that disappeared quickly.

It does not smell good. I want to say that it has a corn smell, but I can't really say that, because I like corn. I don't like this.

There is very little taste. It is almost like drinking water.

There is some carbonation that helps the mouthfeel a little.

It really isn't all that drinkable. I would rather have a glass of water. I did actually drink a second one straight out of the can, and it was more drinkable that way. I think that the smell of this one just really turns me off. This beer really would only be good for filling a beer bong at a college party.

greengorilla, Oct 05, 2009
1.6/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Probably the least offensive of the ultra-budget 'beers' in its family (Bush Light, Natural Light, Milwaukee's Beast Light, etc). Best consumed out of the can as pouring it tends to a) warm it up and expose some nasty flavors b) showcase how pathetic it looks. Poured into a pint glass it makes Heineken look like a dark beer, a fizzy white head bubbles and then disappears quickly. Vaguely metallic and grain scent, no particularly strong flavors of any sort. Generally nasty tasting but drinkable cold. Quintessential frat party beer.

I boiled off the water while steaming corn on the cob recently and the syrup that cooked onto the bottom of the pan smelled very similar to Keystone...which should give you some indication of what it is really made up of.

manwich, Sep 22, 2009
2.17/5  rDev +21.2%

A: An extremely pale straw yellow large thin head vanishes quickly

S: Not much hear a faint smell of yeast and metal

T: Light malts with little or no hop character metallic notes and starchy malt booster come through

M: Sparkling water

D: Its like drinking mineral water goes down very smooth

HopBacchus, Sep 17, 2009
1.18/5  rDev -34.1%

My duty as a college student to review this beer.

Pours with a fizzy soda pop head that lasts about a 1/2 second. This beer is about as close to colorless as beer gets. It's barely even a straw-colored yellow.

Almost no aroma at all. A tiny bit of rice-like grainy character comes through.

The taste is almost nonexistent. I think water has more character than this beer. No hop character to speak of. A slight corn-like sweetness is about all that is present.

A lot of carbonation and watery mouthfeel makes it feel like sparkling water in the mouth.

Obviously, I understand what makes this beer appealing to college students, but I'd rather have one decent craft beer over an entire case of this (but I guess that's why I'm a BA).

bump8628, Sep 07, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -7.8%

Had this out of a can, poured into a red cup, the only acceptable way this beer should ever really be consumed: in drinking games, specifically along the lines of beer pong.

I feel bad even rating this beer, and part of me says let well enough be, as everything you can imagine a crappy, macro, cheap, lgiht macro-lager to be, this bee is. It's as pale yellow as they come, with a rather gross looking head and carbonation up the wazoo. I don't even really know what I tasted outside of metal, tap water, and a rice-style malt.

To say it safely, there are much, much better options out there for quality, but then again, you get what you pay for. A 30-pack for 12 dollars only gets you so much, and doing anything with this beer other than straight pounding it is to do yourself an incredible diservice to your beer-loving palate. At a college party, this stuff is unavoidable, but serves its purpose as a highly poundable, flavorless piss.

nomomentwasted, Sep 06, 2009
2.63/5  rDev +46.9%

From a 24oz. can. Appearance is pale yellow in color with a crisp head that dissapates quickly. Smell has a light corn adjunct aroma. Taste has not much to speak of, very light grain and hops with a slight sweetness. Mouthfeel is light with a good amount of carbonation. If your looking for a thirst quencher on a hot day and no more it would be a good one, it's watered down but clean.

Bookseeb, Aug 23, 2009

Can at a college graduation party. There was nothing else available, and it broke my heart.

Lifeless, pale, weak and watery. The can lent an unappealing chemical taste to the beer. The mouthfeel was exceptionally thin. I can't think of anything appealing about this beer.

gameface23, Aug 21, 2009
2.35/5  rDev +31.3%

Keystone Light is another nearly flavorless pale lager. It has no real distinguishing characteristics, to my palate. Very pale, very little foam, that quickly dissipates to a thin lacing. Very mild malt taste.

Ok, all that said, Keystone Light has its place: it would be a good session beer, as its low abv would allow you to remain on the bar stool, (or out of the backyard fire ring as the case may be). It's a beer you can pound and chug and not regret it...because you don't really care whether you taste it. It's a good Dorm party beer, because the girls will drink it if they have to.

I don't want to sound too overly snobbish here...but the light beers that come out of Coors Brewery that I have tasted are extremely light. It's beer for those who just don't like beer, I'd say, and who don't understand that beer is more complex - well, should be more complex to the palate than wine. I've droned on enough. Summary: I'd drink it again, ice cold, at a party or cook out, but not if there was something - anything - else available...I don't hate this beer, I just personally prefer a much more robust flavor.

dakeynr, Aug 15, 2009
1.98/5  rDev +10.6%

A friend had this on-tap in his kegerator and I couldn't resist giving this a try. I was also out of Kellerweise. Last time I drank this it was in an unfinished basement in college. This experience, frankly (and thanks to Kuklickx), wasn't terribly different. I found the key to this beer was to taste it as little as possible. Letting sit on my tongue for a split second before gulping left just a cream soda and white bread taste. When I let it linger, it tasted like a chemical spill. It was sharp and acrid with a dirty water background. Stick to chugging, you don't want to taste this.

tempest, Aug 10, 2009
2.3/5  rDev +28.5%

A friend of mine had purchased a 30-pack of these for the price of dirt. Having never tried it, I asked for a can. Can't ever knock something unless I've tried it.

And now that I've tried it, knock it I will.

12 oz. can with freshness date of October 12 '09 printed on the bottom. Poured into a flared pilsner glass.

As the beer is poured, my first impression becomes: Where's the color? It eventually turns the very palest of straw (z.B. a half-shade above perfectly clear) as the glass fills, giving rise to a huge head of rocky white foam that falls away quickly to nothingness and leaves a lot of nothing in terms of stick.

The lack of definition continues into the nose. Perhaps the faintest whiff of grain, a hint of corn. They're there, but just barely within the threshold of human perception.

Thin and watery on the tongue with a lively carbonation. Flavors are thin and watery as well: I honestly feel like I'm drinking carbonated water that's come from a source other than my faucet, as the flavors are so imperceptible that it's difficult to even relate them in any way to the ingredients in beer. The vaguest hint of grain and hops can be picked out, and this all on an admittedly well-trained palate. Finish is crisp, clean, and watery. No aftertaste lingers. And that's probably a good thing.

It's difficult to understand how anyone could view this as beer, but it passes government regulations for the definition of the product and, unlike water, has 104 calories, 5.0 grams carbohydrates, and 0.7 grams protein, not to mention 4.2% alcohol by volume. Honestly, I can't even really call this drinkable, as there's nothing there to make one want to drink more. When I eat something delicious, I want more; when I drink something delicious, I want more. This I don't even notice as I drink it, so there's nothing there to make me want more. It fails even in the Light Lager category of beer. Absolutely pathetic.

superdedooperboy, Aug 03, 2009
2.13/5  rDev +19%

Freshness date of Oct. 05 09 on bottom.

Pours very clear light straw yellow. It has a pretty sizeable head at first, but it collapses. Not much different than typical lt lager, though even a tad lighter.

It has a hint of grain and cereal - mainly seltzer water.

This tastes like tonic water - actually worse. It has a washed out cereal taste. It's neither sweet nor bitter, it's just "there". Not doing much in taste department. Seriously - a little washed out grain...that's it. Aftertaste is not so pleasant, but not horrible I guess.

This is fizzy nothing.

Tonic water with hint of grain and a hint of alcohol anyone? MAYBE if I were into beer pong...but I'm not...and even then there are better cheap light lagers out there...

jwc215, Jul 28, 2009
1.83/5  rDev +2.2%

If Keystone Premium is awful, then how can anyone expect the Light version to be any better. This beer is watery and not much else good can be said about it. Others have said it better than I can. Mouthfeel is weak, taste is atrocious, and poured appearance is without obvious merit. Drinkability? You got to be kidding.

utah44, Jul 24, 2009
2.35/5  rDev +31.3%

Yet another offering to the masses of college students. It is a punishment to drink this stuff if there is no party around you. Obviously this beer fulfills its role perfectly. It is meant to be cheap and get you drunk. It does that. Taste is not a factor for those who just want to get drunk on the cheap.

VictorEHuskie, Jul 19, 2009
1.38/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a yellow almost clear color with carbonation very clearly shown. There is almost no head at all. The smell is of corn and that smell is very faint at best. The taste is of barely corn, it is very watery. The mouthfeel is like a pepsi it is very fizzy. Overall you couldn't drink a lot of these, it is filling and watery.

goblue3509, Jul 18, 2009
2.42/5  rDev +35.2%

From the 24 fl. oz. can marked MAY1709-02352A. Sampled on June 23, 2009.

A - Prettty basic for a macro light. Pale yellow with lively carbonation erupting to a short-lived fizzy, white head. No lacing to speak of.

S - Nothing very extraordinary about it. Some hops but mostly metal and corn.

T/M - The mouthfeel is for the most part watered down and the taste has some weak hops in the background. Really it tases like a macro light, no more or no less.

puboflyons, Jun 23, 2009
2.85/5  rDev +59.2%

Pour into a pilsner glass at 40 degrees.

Appearance: A frothy foamy white head that lasted a millisecond. Well at least they were right when they wrote the BJCP manual. The color of the beer is a meduim light yellow straw color. There is a lot of effervescence in the beer. The clarity of the beer is clear to brilliant.

Nose: A moderate amount of a grain and corn aroma with a very light hop fragrant. There is a light sweetness in the background, probably due to the corn.

Taste: There is a low grain taste with lots of water. There is a very mild hop fragrant to the background of the beer.

Overall: The mouth feel of the beer is dry and lightly carbonated. The body of the beer is water, uh I mean very light. The finish, what finish. Okay my opinion now. It is bang on for what the beer is suppose to be. I think that this beer is good for two things drinking and peeing.

colts9016, Jun 18, 2009
1.9/5  rDev +6.1%

In the depressing settings where one finds themself left with choices such as keystone light, it may be helpful to reflect upon the path that has led to such dismal circumstances. Beers such as this fall into a category where rating them is sort of a challenge. Essentially, all you can ask is "well, what did you expect?".. it smells like foam, however something can smell like foam I have no idea but the only thing that makes sense in the smell is generic beer foam. I suppose you're really just smelling adjucts. It has the generic adjuct taste of corn or whatever garbage is being used and a thin, watery body. Perhaps you could say there is a slight extra sour/bitter taste that gives it a modest hue of unique character when compared to the other light adjuct lagers from coors et al. Again, the best thing this beer could be used for is a catalyst for reflection upon one's own life choices, because if you are drinking this by choice then you have made some terrible, terrible mistakes.

BirdFlu, May 26, 2009
2.4/5  rDev +34.1%

A - Light yellow in color, very transparent. Visible carbonation is there but not the most inviting thing i've ever seen. Since I would mostly just drink this from the can, not much need for the viewing pleasure.

S- Slightly sweet and very grainy in smell. Nothing to catch your nose by surprise.

T- Sweet and pretty grainy in taste. Fairly clean finish, but still flavor is not its high point by any means.

M- Plenty of carbonation going on but very thin. Pretty much the same as carbonated water.

D- While fairly drinkable, you'd expect to see it mainly on a hot afternoon, or a college party. I cant imagine really enjoying more than one of these unless I were shotgunning or beer bonging it.

Although this beer seemed slightly refreshing and had a manageable taste to begin with, As it warms the taste grows more and more burdensome. I think ill leave this one to hunting trips and already drunk college party goers.

mm546907, May 25, 2009
3.23/5  rDev +80.4%

I can't believe I've gotten into this stuff recently, for my standard "cheap summer swill" beer guzzler. Miller MGD had been the frequent on-stock beer in that category. For a cheapo beer and especially a light beer (104 calories), I'm sorry that few reviewers seem to have much appreciation for it! I'm rating it for what it is-- a cheap macro lager whose purpose is simply an easy to drink beer with meals or just for drinking, and not for uber-max quality.

A= typical weak pale yellow, some foamy head if I pour it (although this is your typical from-the-can beer anyways).

S= fair for the low-end beer category, sweet malts, hints of hops.

T= nice sweet malts, a lot more than most comparable macro lager such as Bud, Coors, Miller etc. Some modest hops flavor and hint of hops bitter.

M= clean, refreshed, with a light sweet malt residue and lingering hints of hops bitters.

D= very drinkable for its intended mass-swill purpose.

therica, May 23, 2009

In a half-drunken haze I bought 30 of these from Walmart. I thought it was a good deal at the time but on further thought I don't really think so. Having this fine fellow out of a beveled beer mug. It pours flat. It's pale yellow, which is fine by me, but the zero head and no apparent carbonation makes it look kinda gross. It smells shockingly sweet, corny, and of fusel alcohol. The mouthfeel is a bit slick, and corny/grainy flavors wash over the tongue. There's a bit of an after taste that reminds me of putting a penny in my mouth. If this was a malt liquor I'd be a big fan, but at 4.2 percent ABV what am I getting? Thanks a bundle Coors... fuck you by the way.

drunkboxer1, May 23, 2009
1.63/5  rDev -8.9%

What CAN I review next? This was another find at my local sixer, but it was not much of a find. It was another fizzy yellow beer with a big white head with low retention. The nose was virtually nonexistent. The mouthfeel was thin and watery without much flavor, either. The finish made me wish that I had some actual beer, rather than the swill that seems to fill cans. Boooring!

woodychandler, May 18, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +137.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 5

A. Golden yellow color. Decent carbonation. Minimal head

S. Not to bad for a light beer.

T. Has enough beer taste to be noticed as beer, but you go one with a beer taste, another with water.

M. High carbonation. Refreshing finish.

D. At a party drink all you can. At home sit back and enjoy your $14 thirty pack.

Final Thoughts: This is my party beer. For as cheap as it is, a very draikable good beer. Not my typical style but inexpensive and easy to drink. Not to mention, it tastes good. My favorite light beer.

Poormon79, May 09, 2009
1.43/5  rDev -20.1%

Just had this beer at a party the other night. I found that I actually couldn't taste it. Opened the can and smelled a little bit of sweetness, and some rice. Poured, there was just some foam that settled within 5 seconds, and left a liquid that appeared close to urine in appearance. The can actually said beer on it, and I'm glad I saw that, because honestly without it, I wouldn't have known.

andrew0790, May 01, 2009
1.1/5  rDev -38.5%

What can you say really? You basically know what you're getting into when you reach for one of these, which is a night of getting hammered. More or less a sorry excuse for a beer, but must admit being in college, and at $14 for a 30 it serves it's purpose. Nothing to enjoy, just something to play beirut with and get drunk.

sammyadams617, Apr 30, 2009